Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2032 of 5590)
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:00:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2A373:

Where is the "scoot" part at in the video?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2A373:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
A shoot and scoot Artillery action in Eastern Ukraine

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/new/

Where is the "scoot" part at in the video?

After firing a few rounds they were packing up and preparing to move the artillery.  I seem to have linked incorrectly to that video, or it was removed by Reddit which happens sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Commando223:

Why can't they get it from China?
View Quote

They could... For a price.

Xi is gonna whip it out and tell Putin to touch it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:06:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiberius] [#3]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

It's crazy that the russian noble class use the communist tactic of telling the the lower class people that everybody has a moral obligation to fight oppressive people in support of oppressed people. Russian nobility oppresses the russian people while telling them this and the russian people seem to totally buy into it. Russian people are totally fine with screwing over other groups of people so long as it is their own oppressor who wins. There is something wrong with humans.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Russian strategy seems to be:  toss every man into the meat grinder and hope we do not lose.

It's crazy that the russian noble class use the communist tactic of telling the the lower class people that everybody has a moral obligation to fight oppressive people in support of oppressed people. Russian nobility oppresses the russian people while telling them this and the russian people seem to totally buy into it. Russian people are totally fine with screwing over other groups of people so long as it is their own oppressor who wins. There is something wrong with humans.

What’s in it for the orcs is that they will finally have someone lower on the totem pole than them to rob and oppress. The fact that many Ukrainians had a standard of living comparable to the middle class in Europe makes it better as they get off on “putting them in thier place”.

A accurate update of the ‘80s Red Dawn would be a hard NC-17 ratingswise. What they are doing in Ukraine now would be ten times worse if they got the opportunity to do it to Americans.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Serious question why is Zelensky still begging for weapons?

At this point I would imagine they have enough maybe just resupply ammo but are they losing equipment like crazy or what's going on I really don't follow this that closely anymore.

View Quote

More volunteers than weapons still.

They have hundreds of thousands of people to arm and train.  They’re losing some. But reality is they just need to keep arming and equipping. As well as resupply of things like ATGM.  They also might as well capitalize and get longer range systems / more powerful systems.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By xd675:

To be fair I wonder if Russia was paranoid enough about war with NATO they tried to keep their most important communications methods secret from electronic surveillance.  I find it difficult to believe that communications on 3G is the best Russia has, but could absolutely see their paranoia keeping some critical things out off the fight and secret.

I mean Russia has wired communications to their SSBN bastions so the boats can have immediate and secure communications with Moscow.  It’s not like they don’t know communications is critical.
View Quote

Vlad the master strategist he is made his general source off the shelf commo equipment from China and pocket the rest instead of getting secure communications.

All part of the plan.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

The A team is coming bro don't worry bro
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

To be fair I wonder if Russia was paranoid enough about war with NATO they tried to keep their most important communications methods secret from electronic surveillance.  I find it difficult to believe that communications on 3G is the best Russia has, but could absolutely see their paranoia keeping some critical things out off the fight and secret.

I mean Russia has wired communications to their SSBN bastions so the boats can have immediate and secure communications with Moscow.  It’s not like they don’t know communications is critical.

The A team is coming bro don't worry bro

They are still working through the "Z", "V", and "O" teams.   I expect that, by the time they get down to the "A" team, those cats will show up down the road with M1895 rifles and horse-mounted cavalry, backed up by the original Renault III "Czarina" tanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of good hits in this video.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TAP:

Not really. Many of even the loitering munitions, which are not optimized for speed and and penetration and have endurance steady state speeds of roughly 30-75 mph, still have dash speeds of anywhere from 100mph to well over 200mph.

Do the math.  If we're really generous and give the effective range of steel shot as 75m, even the lowest dash speed of 100mph crosses that distance in well under two seconds.  Two seconds to track and effectively manually engage is pretty much fantasy against oncoming drones. And using actual average numbers cuts that in more than half.

Our current radar- and computer-guided 20mm LPWS uses either 50 or 75 rounds per second (depending on what the target is), in bursts of several seconds, to score a few hits on most incoming drones.  I won't share actual engagement details here for obvious reasons- but the general comparison should tell you how useless a shotgun is against all but the lamest drones.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAP:
12 gauge with some kind of steel load. Or maybe copper coated lead. Practicing to lead them would be pretty expensive.

Not really. Many of even the loitering munitions, which are not optimized for speed and and penetration and have endurance steady state speeds of roughly 30-75 mph, still have dash speeds of anywhere from 100mph to well over 200mph.

Do the math.  If we're really generous and give the effective range of steel shot as 75m, even the lowest dash speed of 100mph crosses that distance in well under two seconds.  Two seconds to track and effectively manually engage is pretty much fantasy against oncoming drones. And using actual average numbers cuts that in more than half.

Our current radar- and computer-guided 20mm LPWS uses either 50 or 75 rounds per second (depending on what the target is), in bursts of several seconds, to score a few hits on most incoming drones.  I won't share actual engagement details here for obvious reasons- but the general comparison should tell you how useless a shotgun is against all but the lamest drones.

Wonder if a small drone with a seeker head like a HARM tuned for drone control signals could be made cost effective. Either ram the target or carry a small bomb with a prox fuse on it. Or perhaps network a drone swarm to something that can detect and track the signals from the drone so parts of the swarm can be tasked to intercept it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:
Lots of good hits in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md2k_ZNIE5c
View Quote

I don't know who their PR guy is, but they really have a nice way of making it easy to see what's happening and what is being hit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#12]

At this point I would imagine they have enough maybe just resupply ammo but are they losing equipment like crazy or what's going on I really don't follow this that closely anymore.

View Quote

This is the largest conventional war since WW2.

Russia retained the majority of USSR weapon stockpiles. We did not.

We have been getting weapons but most of it is slow coming or just not enough.

In the East we are getting pounded by weapons that have a longer range then we have the ability to respond to (MLRS).

There are not enough small arms and ammo to go around.

Air alarms are still going off daily but luckily we now have the ability of shooting down the majority of incoming missiles.

TLDR: More arms = less dead Ukrainians
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
View Quote

What a waste of rockets.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Glock63:

Our aid to Israel should immediately be halted.
View All Quotes

Why should Israel help when the US is permitting Iran to obtain nuclear weapons that they declared will be used in Israel?

Maybe they are looking to wheel and deal.  Global war is coming and everyone has their own interests.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

What a waste of rockets.
View All Quotes

What a waste of rockets.

There guided
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
The Warzone has an article on Russian reliance on Western Tech to make their gear work.

Which means they can't replace the shit they're using.
View Quote

There are ways that this could be exploited, if TPTB have the wit.

Make some new lots of the target chips with some new features, arrange for them to get sold to the chip dealers in China, and wait for the fireworks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By vahog:

History rhymes.

Battle of the Kegs, 1778
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vahog:
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

History rhymes.

Battle of the Kegs, 1778

Pretty sure I've read of armies in antiquity floating burning rafts down a river to destroy structures.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Taiwan is experimenting with strategy but other things {US supplies} haven’t moved forward. Japan is taking more of an interest. The Taiwanese economy has been a success story. A war there will have major ramifications - for us not just Taiwan.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Originally Posted By Jack841:

With any luck, Taiwan will learn some lessons for their own defense.

Taiwan is experimenting with strategy but other things {US supplies} haven’t moved forward. Japan is taking more of an interest. The Taiwanese economy has been a success story. A war there will have major ramifications - for us not just Taiwan.

Taiwan is a critical national security interest, we have to fight for it if we want to stay a global power.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

An industrial war is hard on equipment, and Ukraines industrial base was destroyed. Their ammunition stockpiles have been attritted heavily and though they have 152mm guns they are running out of 152mm ammunition and very little of that is available from friendly countries. Etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Why should Israel help when the US is permitting Iran to obtain nuclear weapons that they declared will be used in Israel?

Maybe they are looking to wheel and deal.  Global war is coming and everyone has their own interests.
View Quote

Israel has a large ethnic Russian minority to keep happy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Incredible grenade fighting / trench clearing here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/uxqo2j/assault_on_the_ukrainian_trenches_by_the_4th/

Poor guy from the 2:37 mark onwards, laid down covering fire so his friend could withdraw and held until the end. See him continually throwing incoming grenades out of his position until presumably shrapnel gets him. Fought like a lion.
View Quote

I think he caught a round or three when he was taking shots at the Russians and slowly bled out.  Men like that will save Ukraine.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:35:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#22]
Originally Posted By WildBill375:

In the East we are getting pounded by weapons that have a longer range then we have the ability to respond to (MLRS).

Air alarms are still going off daily but luckily we now have the ability of shooting down the majority of incoming missiles.

View All Quotes

Thanks for your update..hope you all are doing well there, atleast as good as can be.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

There guided
View All Quotes

What a waste of rockets.

There guided

Why do you think they're guided?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
They've mobilized the entire country and per the Ukrainian government are trying to train and equip a million man army. So that's going to take a whole bunch of resources, while simultaneously trying to fight a war. It takes some time between when politicians lips start moving and the equipment rolls into battle (I'm looking at you Olaf!). They also have to get some level of training on all the bizarre hand-me-downs they're getting.

For example: It's my understanding that the ~250 Polish T72's are now being deployed to units in the South (around Kriyvyi Rih), which they began receiving about a month ago. I think that's pretty darn quick given they needed to move them all across the country and also train the crews.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

So you're telling me this is all part of Vlads plan?

"First we'll lose 1500 tanks so we can make room for our classic equipment to be used. Ukraine won't know what to do, when they're on the ground laughing, that's when we'll make our move"
View Quote

Who knows? Do you? Everything is speculation. I'm just speculating too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

Tell the dead at the Asov steel plant, or the rest of the dead civilians that the Russians are a joke.  One more time, cheerleading is great, but you have to make a reasonable assessment of the enemy forces.  The Russian army has in fact taken a sizeable amount of land, murdered thousands of Ukrainians, and destroyed a considerable amount of the countries resources.  Saying that they didn't and sticking your head in the sand is a foolish mistake. The way to combat an enemy is to know what you're facing, not pretending that they haven't made headway.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

They might be taking small plots of land, but they're still a joke. And like before, who knows how long they will actually be able to hold it.

Tell the dead at the Asov steel plant, or the rest of the dead civilians that the Russians are a joke.  One more time, cheerleading is great, but you have to make a reasonable assessment of the enemy forces.  The Russian army has in fact taken a sizeable amount of land, murdered thousands of Ukrainians, and destroyed a considerable amount of the countries resources.  Saying that they didn't and sticking your head in the sand is a foolish mistake. The way to combat an enemy is to know what you're facing, not pretending that they haven't made headway.

No, they're still a joke. But, that doesn't mean they aren't dangerous. Thing is, the longer the war rages, the more the Russian forces get hollowed out. Since they're currently having trouble maintaining the optempo in the few areas they've concentrated forces, that says they'll probably have shot their wad sometime next month if not sooner. After that, they'll likely make a new peace overture to try to convince the Ukrainians not to push their sorry asses all the way to the 1994 borders.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#28]

There guided
View All Quotes

What a waste of rockets.

There guided

Probably not
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:23:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toaster] [#29]
Originally...Posted...By...AlmightyTallest:

I...don't...know...who...their...PR...guy...is,...but...they...really...have...a...nice...way...of...making...it...easy...to...see...what's...happening...and...what...is...being...hit.
View All Quotes
Originally ...Posted...By...pr4guy:
Lots...of...good...hits...in...this...video.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md...k_ZNIE5c

I...don't...know...who...their...PR...guy...is,...but...they...really...have...a...nice...way...of...making...it...easy...to...see...what's...happening...and...what...is...being...hit.
Yep....Those...added...graphics...for...targets...and...impact...points...were...a...nice...touch.

[email protected]:15....155mm,...apply...directly...to...forehead.

Edit:...I...have...no...idea...why...the...fuck...all...of...those...periods...showed...up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Thanks for your update..hope you all are doing well there, atleast as good as can be.
View All Quotes

Hear hear

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Is this south of Kryvyi Rih? Struggling to find a map of where it’s at…the map posted last night didn’t seem to coincide with surrounding towns.

I hope it is as that would indicate a UA is gaining ground back towards Nova Kakhovka and Kherson. This would free up some resources if they can rely on the terrain to help defend if they need to shift more to the east.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:38:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YaNi05] [#32]
Originally Posted By Firefly1032:

Is this south of Kryvyi Rih? Struggling to find a map of where it's atthe map posted last night didn't seem to coincide with surrounding towns.

I hope it is as that would indicate a UA is gaining ground back towards Nova Kakhovka and Kherson. This would free up some resources if they can rely on the terrain to help defend if they need to shift more to the east.
View Quote

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Davydiv+Brid,+Kherson+Oblast,+Ukraine,+74120/@47.5186602,32.211625,8.5z/data=

In Kherson oblast about half way between Kryvyi Rih and Kherson.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I am not a tank person, but how far behind the the US Abrams is the T62 ? One generation ? Two ? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By YaNi05:

For example: It's my understanding that the ~250 Polish T72's are now being deployed to units in the South (around Kriyvyi Rih), which they began receiving about a month ago. I think that's pretty darn quick given they needed to move them all across the country and also train the crews.
View Quote

These Polish tanks and Dutch YPR-765 personnel carriers went mostly to a single unit 5th Tank Brigade that, as a result, changed it's status from reserve to fully operational. I'm pretty sure they had enough trained crews to man these tanks. It took a couple of weeks to install reactive armor and other upgrades(?).

Apparently, it's, or hopefully was, a common situation when trained personnel don't have enough weaponry. A friend of a friend's MOS is a crew member for BM21 Grad MRLS. They were fighting as infantry for a few weeks before BM21s for their unit came from somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

A lot of reasons:  1) Attrition.  Both sides are going through ordinance like a bureaucrat spending on 30 September.  Also, in combat losses on both sides with that much artillery being tossed around will be huge.  2) Scalability:  The Ukrainians are going from roughly a 300,000 army fighting a limited conflict to a 1,000,000 army fighting a high-intensity conflict, which means their baseline requirements have increased exponentially at the same time that their industries and logistic nodes are physically under attack.   3) Compatibility:  Much of the replacement/additional equipment UA is receiving/will receive is not directly compatible with the existing equipment, Not to mention the fact that the supplies for their existing equipment are not available to them in the amounts required, and they are in the process of having to fully reequip a force while in combat between systems that often have very different design philosophies.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By rega3:
I am not a tank person, but how far behind the the US Abrams is the T62 ? One generation ? Two ? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

In an academic sense the T-62 is a second generation MBT and the Abrams a third but that doesn’t give an accurate assessment. The Abrams is as good as or better than any tank in the world. The T-62 was a second line tank by 1980. Since the T-62, the Abrams got two thermals, a battle management system, automated fire control, a gun that can destroy the T-62 from any range at any angle, satnav, etc. The T-62 has night optics that, in upgraded form, would t make the cut to be in the cheapest PVS-14 that a reliable night vision seller would offer you. In Iraq in 1991 the T-62s were raped by an M1 variant that is now three major upgrades or more behind the new hotness.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By toaster:
Yep....Those...added...graphics...for...targets...and...impact...points...were...a...nice...touch.

Edit:...I...have...no...idea...why...the...fuck...all...of...those...periods...showed...up.
View All Quotes
Originally ...Posted...By...pr4guy:
Lots...of...good...hits...in...this...video.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md...k_ZNIE5c

Lol, I dont know where the periods came from.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Wonder if a small drone with a seeker head like a HARM tuned for drone control signals could be made cost effective. Either ram the target or carry a small bomb with a prox fuse on it. Or perhaps network a drone swarm to something that can detect and track the signals from the drone so parts of the swarm can be tasked to intercept it.
View Quote

that would make sense. a drone is a tiny aircraft, so make a tiny surface to air missile.

drones are small, light, and do zippy things. a tiny SAM would be zippy too. what, the size of a bottle rocket? put them in a tiny MLRS.

anybody want to make millions of dollars? invent this

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TTTSNB] [#39]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#40]
Originally Posted By rega3:
View Quote

Depends on which version of the T62 and which version of the Abrams you are considering.  To put it in perspective, the T62 came out around the same time as the original M60 tank, which was constantly upgraded (to the M60A3) until it was retired from US service in the mid-1990s.  The Abrams came out in 1980 and has been massively upgraded over the years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:09:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sneedsville] [#41]

View Quote

yeah yeah. FUCK ISRAEL

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#42]

View Quote

Lol, then I guess Israel should do something about it huh? Guess what, every problem isn't ours to solve, and if Israel still thinks they deserve free shit from us, they should probably cooperate.  Leeches
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I would expect because currently they are training a massive shit ton of new troops who are going to need weapons if they want to push the russians back to the border. Rifles will not be good enough against a line of russian cannons. And there will be equipment losses on the ukranian side. Those losses will need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#44]

I think he caught a round or three when he was taking shots at the Russians and slowly bled out.  Men like that will save Ukraine.
View Quote

Many of them have the attitude that if they don't win, they are going to die.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

What a stupid question.

He's "begging" because every day the human and material cost of the war increases. War is expensive enough, but rebuilding the infrastructure of the country and taking care of the survivors is going to impose a huge cost for decades to come. When did the US VA make their last payment for veterans or spouses of WWI? Look it up.

In war, you don't just want a 51% advantage over your opponent...you want 300% advantage, these days it's called "over match". Overwhelming superiority is the fastest way to get Russians off Ukrainian soil, and at least start expending resources on rebuilding rather than just surviving.

Side comment: the idea that providing Ukraine with long range fires such as ATACMS would be "escalatory" is complete nonsense. The Russians are already using cruise and ballistic missiles to strike hundreds of km into Ukrainian territory, and have done so from Belarus and the Black Sea.

Even if the Ukrainians confined themselves to Russian targets within Ukraine, it would be far more discriminate and far more legitimate than what the Russians are already doing, because unlike the Russians, our shit actually works and hits what we are aiming at. The Russians shouldn't be able to set up a CP or a supply dump anywhere within Ukrainian territory, and we have the means to do so.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

What’s in it for the orcs is that they will finally have someone lower on the totem pole than them to rob and oppress. The fact that many Ukrainians had a standard of living comparable to the middle class in Europe makes it better as they get off on “putting them in thier place”.

A accurate update of the ‘80s Red Dawn would be a hard NC-17 ratingswise. What they are doing in Ukraine now would be ten times worse if they got the opportunity to do it to Americans.
View Quote

I remember watching Red Dawn and just thinking the portrayal of the Russian and Cuban troops was just cartoonish exaggeration, 80s action movie cheese.

Now I know differently.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Yeah, yeah - I know they're Russian mouthpieces, but some of what's being mentioned rings true...

https://www.zerohedge.com/military/wapo-stunning-first-admits-catastrophic-conditions-collapsing-morale-ukraine-forces-front

We have seen the many great videos of orcs getting blown up, but the Russians are still there making slow progress. Ukraine has a lot of new toys, but it would be foolish to think that it's only a matter of time that Ukraine will prevail. I mean, I sure hope they do but it's also prudent to keep in mind that things may not be going as well for Ukraine as what we've seen.
View Quote

I always bear in mind that although they have gone through bootcamp, many of the Ukranian soldiers were not soldiers a number of months ago. They were plumbers, bookkeepers, lab assistants. They will not be operating as efficiently as if they were professional soldiers who have spent their time training together for the past couple of years. I am NOT suggesting the russian conscripts are better. I'm just saying the ukranians can't be expected to perform at maximim effectiveness until they have some time operating their equipment, and operating as a cohesive group. It takes time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Why can't they get it from China?
View Quote

Many of the things they need, China does not make - all sourced from Western companies, even if subcomponents are made in China.

Even the high tech things that China makes are usually based on Western IP, use Western-made fabs, rely on Western software systems, etc - all of which are subject to the same sanctions as Russia, if China gets caught supplying those things to Russia.

The difference is that if China gets cut off by the West, it'd only take them 5-10 years to get back current again, while it'd take Russia 20-25 years. China possesses the physical plant and top techs and scientists to either engineer their own solutions, or crack copy protection/license schemes on their design and control software, while Russia has little in the way of specialists or fabrication machinery or experience to bootstrap its own chip production, make new computers, etc.

Russia is basically completely dependent on Western high tech imports of finished goods, at the moment, while China is only dependent on continued Western technology transfer and tech support.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#49]

3 months is considered quickly?

They've had to concentrate all of their forces in a limited area to only take a couple miles of territory.

I wouldn't call having to roll out 50+ year old equipment a success.

They might be taking small plots of land, but they're still a joke. And like before, who knows how long they will actually be able to hold it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wreckshooter:

A Romanian officer friend of mine said a week or two ago that the Russians learn from their mistakes quickly and I think he called this one spot on. For the last week we have seen close to zero operational success on the part of Ukraine with limited operational success by Russia. This is in stark contrast to what was happening just several weeks ago. And because Ukraine is a much more open country we have seen the stress the Russians are putting on the Ukraine military. We have heard rumblings of the same thing on the part of Russia, but they censor that stuff much more. But we are plainly seeing it on the Ukraine side.

3 months is considered quickly?

They've had to concentrate all of their forces in a limited area to only take a couple miles of territory.

I wouldn't call having to roll out 50+ year old equipment a success.

Russia has employed much improved tactics and procedures for more than a month. So yes, quickly. They still are not great but they are vastly improved from three months ago.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Keep hanging in there brother.
Page / 5590
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2032 of 5590)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top