Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2033 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
blanked.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Birddog15:
blanked.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Yeah, yeah - I know they're Russian mouthpieces, but some of what's being mentioned rings true...

https://www.zerohedge.com/military/wapo-stunning-first-admits-catastrophic-conditions-collapsing-morale-ukraine-forces-front

b
We have seen the many great videos of orcs getting blown up, but the Russians are still there making slow progress. Ukraine has a lot of new toys, but it would be foolish to think that it's only a matter of time that Ukraine will prevail. I mean, I sure hope they do but it's also prudent to keep in mind that things may not be going as well for Ukraine as what we've seen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Yeah, yeah - I know they're Russian mouthpieces, but some of what's being mentioned rings true...

https://www.zerohedge.com/military/wapo-stunning-first-admits-catastrophic-conditions-collapsing-morale-ukraine-forces-front

But for the first time The Washington Post is out with a surprisingly dire and negative assessment of how US-backed and equipped Ukrainian forces are actually fairing. Gone is the rosy idealizing lens through which each and every encounter with the Russians is typically portrayed. WaPo correspondent and author of the new report Sudarsan Raghavan underscores of the true situation that "Ukrainian leaders project an image of military invulnerability against Russia. But commanders offer a more realistic portrait of the war, where outgunned volunteers describe being abandoned by their military brass and facing certain death at the front."
b
We have seen the many great videos of orcs getting blown up, but the Russians are still there making slow progress. Ukraine has a lot of new toys, but it would be foolish to think that it's only a matter of time that Ukraine will prevail. I mean, I sure hope they do but it's also prudent to keep in mind that things may not be going as well for Ukraine as what we've seen.

I agree.  Victory is not a foregone conclusion by any stretch.

This war has been hard for anyone to predict.  At first we were all in agreement that Ukraine would fall quickly.  When that turned out just plain wrong, the pendulum of thought swung back the other way, that Russia was so incompetent, that they wouldn’t last the spring.   Now it’s settled to a more well reasoned assessment that this will probably drag out and cost tens of thousands of more lives.   Where it goes, we just don’t know.  Could the tide turn towards a negotiated peace?  Could Russia arbitrary declare victory and just hold ground?  Will Ukraine give up and cede territory?  Will this be a decades long back and forth?  So many possibilities.  

Personally, my sense of right and wrong, hopes Ukraine eventually prevails.  I hope that Russia bleeds too much to keep Donbass and they withdraw.  I don’t know if Ukraine will ever get back Crimea.  I don’t think they will.  Likewise, I don’t think Russia can take the whole country conventionally. Worse case, I think the Dnipro River will be the new border.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#4]
Originally Posted By xd675:

Why should Israel help when the US is permitting Iran to obtain nuclear weapons that they declared will be used in Israel?

Maybe they are looking to wheel and deal.  Global war is coming and everyone has their own interests.
View Quote

This, plus it may be under many people’s radar, but the US spent the years 2008 to 2017 doing as much as possible to degrade Israel’s military and diplomatic standing.  The anti-semitic Obama-Biden administration wrecked incalculable damage on our relations with Israel, and damaged its security.  Those same gaggle of tools are in charge again now, busy making the world safe for Hamas and promoting Iran’s interests.

Israel has learned nothing wrt to the US in the last 15 years other than the US cannot be trusted on a bi-partisan basis.  If Democrats are in power, they will be f*&cked and they know it now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

This, plus it may be under many people’s radar, but the US spent the years 2008 to 2017 doing as much as possible to degrade Israel’s military and diplomatic standing.  The anti-semitic Obama-Biden administration wrecked incalculable damage on our relations with Israel, and damaged its security.  Those same gaggle of tools are in charge again now, busy making the world safe for Hamas and promoting Iran’s interests.

Israel has learned nothing wrt to the US in the last 15 years other than the US cannot be trusted on a bi-partisan basis.  If Democrats are in power, they will be f*&cked and they know it now.
View All Quotes

Why should Israel help when the US is permitting Iran to obtain nuclear weapons that they declared will be used in Israel?

Maybe they are looking to wheel and deal.  Global war is coming and everyone has their own interests.

Because we give them a shit pile of defense money and aren't seeing anything in return for it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WildBill375:

This is the largest conventional war since WW2.

Russia retained the majority of USSR weapon stockpiles. We did not.

We have been getting weapons but most of it is slow coming or just not enough.

In the East we are getting pounded by weapons that have a longer range then we have the ability to respond to (MLRS).

There are not enough small arms and ammo to go around.

Air alarms are still going off daily but luckily we now have the ability of shooting down the majority of incoming missiles.

TLDR: More arms = less dead Ukrainians
View Quote

The Korean War, Vietnam War and Gulf War all were larger than this current conflict in terms of numbers of peak participants.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

There guided
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:
Originally Posted By M-1975:

What a waste of rockets.

There guided

No they are not.

Waste of rockets.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Kremlin mulls Nuremberg-style trials based on second world war tribunals
Russia to seek to justify invasion of Ukraine by staging show trials of war prisoners, conflict scholars fear

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/28/kremlin-mulls-nuremberg-style-trials-based-on-second-world-war-tribunals

The gloating began just days after the missiles began falling on Ukraine. “Get ready for Nuremberg 2.0,” one former Russian diplomat wrote in a WhatsApp message. Vladimir Putin’s invasion to “denazify” the country has always pointed toward a purge and show trials. Now Moscow may seize on that chance.

As Russia holds hundreds of prisoners from the Azovstal steelworks in Mariupol, its proxies in east Ukraine have floated the idea of holding a “military tribunal” inspired by Nuremberg that observers say would reflect a mass show trial meant to justify Russia’s invasion to the world.

“We are planning to organise an international tribunal on the republic’s territory,” said Denis Pushilin, the leader of a Russian-controlled territory in the Donetsk region. A model could be the Kharkiv trial of 1943, he said, when the Soviet military tried, convicted and executed three Germans and one Ukrainian by hanging. One key audience was the world press. Photos of the hangings were printed in Life magazine.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
YouTube video on Ukrainian Forces E-Bikes:

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Ukrainian soldiers show Switchblade Drone in action
View Quote

Ukrainian Soldiers Show Switchblade Suicide Drone In Action
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Depends on which version of the T62 and which version of the Abrams you are considering.  To put it in perspective, the T62 came out around the same time as the original M60 tank, which was constantly upgraded (to the M60A3) until it was retired from US service in the mid-1990s.  The Abrams came out in 1980 and has been massively upgraded over the years.
View Quote

The T-62 as deployed by Russia is equivalent probably to an early M60 rather than a late one. It’s a bad showing. Western IFVs would chew them up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Wreckshooter:

Russia has employed much improved tactics and procedures for more than a month. So yes, quickly. They still are not great but they are vastly improved from three months ago.
View Quote

I don’t know that’s true. The military took command of the operation and started doing it their way, but I don’t know that’s evidence of learning.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Your post is bs. It was the Obama Administration that allowed Israel to buy F-35s. Since 2010 the US has supplied Israel with 70% of the arms it purchased abroad and the Biden Administration sold $1.5 billion in arms to Israel just in 2021. The US continues to provide $3.8 billion a year for Foreign Military Financing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

War is expensive enough, but rebuilding the infrastructure of the country and taking care of the survivors is going to impose a huge cost for decades to come.[/b]
View Quote

I don't even know what I would do if I had spent the last 15 years making my house nice for my wife and kids and I come back to find I can't do laundry anymore because the washing machines have been pillaged, the kitchen appliances have been pillaged so I can't prepare food anymore, the toilets are gone so we don't even have a place to use the bathroom, the roof has a hole in it and the windows are blown out and a bunch of pigs have been sleeping in the beds. Everything is gone. No income. My wife and kids are on the other side of the country where I can't do fuck-all to help them and I am about to go back into battle. My first priority is taking care of my family. How in gods name am I supposed to do that, especially if I am dead or crippled.
This is beyond awful. And 70% of russians continue to say they just trust their government to make the best decisions for russia. Russians.

The clock is ticking until  russia does this to another peaceful country. There is every reason to believe it will happen again.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Erno86:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0cYrsg1YQo
View Quote

Only 70 sent so far, shit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I don't even know what I would do if I had spent the last 15 years making my house nice for my wife and kids and I come back to find I can't do laundry anymore because the washing machines have been pillaged, the kitchen appliances have been pillaged so I can't prepare food anymore, the toilets are gone so we don't even have a place to use the bathroom, the roof has a hole in it and the windows are blown out and a bunch of pigs have been sleeping in the beds. Everything is gone. No income. My wife and kids are on the other side of the country where I can't do fuck-all to help them and I am about to go back into battle. My first priority is taking care of my family. How in gods name am I supposed to do that, especially if I am dead or crippled.
This is beyond awful. And 70% of russians continue to say they just trust their government to make the best decisions for russia. Russians.

The clock is ticking until  russia does this to another peaceful country. There is every reason to believe it will happen again.
View Quote

Unlikely you are going to be compassionate towards any
Russian you meet on the battlefield.  Better have someone
like me on the jury, I won't convict.  Fuck Putin and fuck Russia.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#18]
As with any news - take this with a grain of salt but it’s nice to see I’m not alone in thinking most of the Chechens fighting for Russia look like clowns Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Telegram. Intercepted Russian soldier’s phone conversation. Tells about how a contract soldier’s contract expired. He just jumped in a Russian military truck and started driving to Russia. 8 other soldiers deserted when they jumped in the truck with him.

Telegram
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sq40:

This war has been hard for anyone to predict.  At first we were all in agreement that Ukraine would fall quickly.  When that turned out just plain wrong, the pendulum of thought swung back the other way, that Russia was so incompetent, that they wouldn’t last the spring.   Now it’s settled to a more well reasoned assessment that this will probably drag out and cost tens of thousands of more lives.   Where it goes, we just don’t know.  Could the tide turn towards a negotiated peace?  Could Russia arbitrary declare victory and just hold ground?  Will Ukraine give up and cede territory?  Will this be a decades long back and forth?  So many possibilities.  

Personally, my sense of right and wrong, hopes Ukraine eventually prevails.  I hope that Russia bleeds too much to keep Donbass and they withdraw.  I don’t know if Ukraine will ever get back Crimea.  I don’t think they will.  Likewise, I don’t think Russia can take the whole country conventionally. Worse case, I think the Dnipro River will be the new border.
View Quote

So are the Russians going to go ahead and push for Odessa or no? I am thinking they will attempt to take Odessa before being willing to shut it down. Odessa was Russian since 1794, so I could see them laying claim to that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By devildog93:

So are the Russians going to go ahead and push for Odessa or no? I am thinking they will attempt to take Odessa before being willing to shut it down. Odessa was Russian since 1794, so I could see them laying claim to that.
View All Quotes

I really don’t know.  I’m sure they want it very badly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

The T-62 as deployed by Russia is equivalent probably to an early M60 rather than a late one. It’s a bad showing. Western IFVs would chew them up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Depends on which version of the T62 and which version of the Abrams you are considering.  To put it in perspective, the T62 came out around the same time as the original M60 tank, which was constantly upgraded (to the M60A3) until it was retired from US service in the mid-1990s.  The Abrams came out in 1980 and has been massively upgraded over the years.

Concur.   The basic T62 is equivalent to a mid-life cycle M48-series or early M60 series with a slightly better gun.  Any M1-series fielded after about 1990 would smite it like a sinner in the hand of an angry God.  Even old AT systems, such as the M72A2 or basic RPG 7 would disable it, and it would be helpless against 21st century AT systems, precision artillery, AT drones, many types of modern autocannon, or any semi-modern attack helicopter.  Even the fully-upgraded T62M would be playing out of it's league against a Bradley or equivalent.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I guarantee they’ll go for Odessa eventually. The timing of that is another matter. In their ideal world they link all the way to Serbia but of course there’s a NATO member in the way.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

The last time fascists captured Odessa it took 2 months, 8 days and 92,000 casualties.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Telegram. Russian drone video shows what is claimed is a large group of Ukrainian soldiers moving into a building. The building is then struck by artillery (or a near miss). But as so often with Russian videos, there is no money shot.

Telegram
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
As with any news - take this with a grain of salt but it’s nice to see I’m not alone in thinking most of the Chechens fighting for Russia look like clowns https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/69ADDA89-880E-4800-9B6D-23CF99C5AA5B_jpe-2400003.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/6A092AE4-1B54-49F6-9016-11FEFF67EB28_jpe-2400004.JPG
View Quote

To me, Tolkien's Orcs describe the Chechens perfectly.
Only vaguely resembling humans.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Concur.   The basic T62 is equivalent to a mid-life cycle M48-series or early M60 series with a slightly better gun.  Any M1-series fielded after about 1990 would smite it like a sinner in the hand of an angry God.  Even old AT systems, such as the M72A2 or basic RPG 7 would disable it, and it would be helpless against 21st century AT systems, precision artillery, AT drones, many types of modern autocannon, or any semi-modern attack helicopter.  Even the fully-upgraded T62M would be playing out of it's league against a Bradley or equivalent.
View Quote

Abrams be like…if you shoot me with that thing, and I find out about it…
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#28]

You would be wrong on all counts. That is clearly a well led, disciplined and brave unit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beruitUSMC0351:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
This might be older video, but perhaps part of that foreign English speaking unit that took out that BMP the other day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WasEgRBEj1U

Yea just saw that. They don't look terribly well led or organized. That said, easy for me to say, never done peer-to-peer myself God speed to them.

You would be wrong on all counts. That is clearly a well led, disciplined and brave unit.

How do I watch that?  Says private.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#29]

I really don’t know.  I’m sure they want it very badly.
View Quote

They'll keep some troops in wait in the south until after the Dombass is controlled. Then they'll push west in the south. That's what it looks like to me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By cpermd:

View All Quotes
This might be older video, but perhaps part of that foreign English speaking unit that took out that BMP the other day?

Yea just saw that. They don't look terribly well led or organized. That said, easy for me to say, never done peer-to-peer myself God speed to them.

Try this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/uzow5r/video_footage_of_a_british_mps_son_ben_grant/
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#31]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Erno86:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0cYrsg1YQo

That's incorrect, the video said they had over 700 coming.

https://www.cnet.com/news/us-military-sends-another-600-switchblade-drones-to-ukraine/

The United States has sent 600 more AeroVironment Switchblade drones to help the Ukrainian military counter Russia's invasion, the US Defense Department revealed Thursday. That's a major increase from the 100 drones the US sent in March.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#32]

Your post is bs. It was the Obama Administration that allowed Israel to buy F-35s. Since 2010 the US has supplied Israel with 70% of the arms it purchased abroad and the Biden Administration sold $1.5 billion in arms to Israel just in 2021. The US continues to provide $3.8 billion a year for Foreign Military Financing.
View Quote

You should do a deep-dive into US-Israeli relations in the Obama years.  There were congressionally approved actions they could not stop, and there was executive action were they took a wrecking ball to the relationship.  Quoting top line numbers does not a full picture make.

As a side note, there’s no reason to use profanity to attack my post. You can do it politely and it will have more credibility.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

You can expand the quoted text by hitting the black banner at the bottom of the quote box or here is the link reposted;

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#35]

You should do a deep-dive into US-Israeli relations in the Obama years.  There were congressionally approved actions they could not stop, and there was executive action were they took a wrecking ball to the relationship.  Quoting top line numbers does not a full picture make.

As a side note, there’s no reason to use profanity to attack my post. You can do it politely and it will have more credibility.
View All Quotes

The Obama Admin did take a hardline with Israel which is something I think was long overdo. This is the same country that has repeatedly sold secret technology that we provided to them to our enemies and has spied on us. We should cut their foreign aid budget in half and stop funding Iron Dome research. Oh, they also screwed us on the Lavi funding we provided to them, not to mention the Iron Dome money we have been providing them for a decade.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

Why do you think they're guided?
View All Quotes

What a waste of rockets.

There guided

Because earlier in war they released an article about firing them like that due to a spotter with laser designator on target. Aircraft only have to get the rockets in vaccinity and they will lock on.  We sent them some guided rockets also. As have other countries
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:
I've been pretty disgusted with the "I only back the winning team" mentality from the beginning. Back in February I saw a number of people come out against Ukraine because "they have no chance against Russia." Then, when Russia started doing poorly, those same people suddenly came out on Ukraine's side. Nothing had changed as far as their political or philosophical beliefs; the only thing that changed was the odds of Ukraine winning.
View Quote

In the beginning, I believed Ukraine had no chance against the sheer mass of men & materiel Russia could bring to bear. I never supported Russia, I just believed they would win. I was pleasantly surprised by Russia's failures, and changed from being a fatalist to a cheerleader for Ukraine. None of it changes my basic belief that Russia is awful, Putin is Hitler, Russia needs to be beaten utterly, and Ukraine absolutely deserves to control its own future and have all the rights and privileges of a sovereign, independent nation. I've been angry at points of Russian successes for a few weeks now. That initial balance of mass seems to be coming back into play.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By m00ler03:
View Quote

Russian side claims to be in control of the hotel.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Because earlier in war they released an article about firing them like that due to a spotter with laser designator on target. Aircraft only have to get the rockets in vaccinity and they will lock on.  We sent them some guided rockets also. As have other countries
View All Quotes

What a waste of rockets.

There guided

NATO laser designators and seekers work on a different wavelength the ones used by Ukrainian and Russia. Also TTP for laser guided weapons is normally 6-8 seconds between rounds to allow the reattack or shift to a new target.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

What a waste of rockets.

There guided

They are unguided. You cannot launch a PGM with that flight profile nor can you launch ten at once and guide them in.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#41]
One of the reasons I try to be as realistic as possible which means pointing out Russia’s gains, actual losses and NATO failures is so people can keep perspective for the LONG haul. People get weary and winded if something last longer than they expected and lose interest or enthusiasm or will if their expectations aren’t met - Desert Storm vs Afghanistan, Vietnam and Iraq. I want Europe to do what it should be doing for Ukraine and not lose interest in doing so. Moscow literally has headlines bragging that Europe will lose interest and give up on Ukraine. Ukraine is in a rough spot in CERTAIN areas at THIS TIME but it can’t rain all the time. The sun will shine again.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/F7E8A1B6-83FB-49C2-A56D-E108A545FBDF_jpe-2399778.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/BDA6213B-F015-473F-93F9-09C22815ED37_jpe-2399779.JPG
View Quote

Ukraine has been hands-off to Russia's energy exports, they're dependent themselves. But I can see a time coming that the need will outweigh the status quo, and Russia's capacity to ship gas & oil will become a priority target. Never mind the effects or Europe. They made their bed, they can live with it. I'd really love to see the production facilities in Russia's central & eastern regions take some hits. Sanctions would make that a near-permanent loss.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By deputyrpa:

Could be, the Syrians preferred them over the T-72s. But I'm thinking they're more for patrolling occupied territory and displacing newer tanks to be forward deployed. There's a lot of occupied territory, so it makes sense to deploy your old equipment and older reserve tankers to patrol dirt roads far from the front lines. The T-62s would just be javelin fodder on the front lines, but could be otherwise useful for infantry support. Time will tell.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wolfy42:

Part of the reason they are using T62s is due to its 115mm gun which is more suited for bunker busting and infantry support then the 125mm due to ammo choice.

Otherwise the T62 is an obsolete death trap.  Any decent modern IFV would be able to take it out.

Could be, the Syrians preferred them over the T-72s. But I'm thinking they're more for patrolling occupied territory and displacing newer tanks to be forward deployed. There's a lot of occupied territory, so it makes sense to deploy your old equipment and older reserve tankers to patrol dirt roads far from the front lines. The T-62s would just be javelin fodder on the front lines, but could be otherwise useful for infantry support. Time will tell.

Russia should have thousands upon thousands of T-72s in storage, which are better and newer than T-62s. You'd think it would be easier to pull those out and get them combat ready over an older design that isn't in production anymore.

For anti infantry use the Terminators that are showing up make more sense but they probably only have a few of them.

Sure, maybe they have more HE/frag/whatever in 115mm, but otherwise I'd think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages of bringing T-62s over T-72s.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Reddit. Russian (Chechen?) street combat in Severodonetsk. Looks like actual combat for a change.

Reddit
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Taiwan is a critical national security interest, we have to fight for it if we want to stay a global power.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tiberius:
Originally Posted By Jack841:
With any luck, Taiwan will learn some lessons for their own defense.

Taiwan is experimenting with strategy but other things {US supplies} haven’t moved forward. Japan is taking more of an interest. The Taiwanese economy has been a success story. A war there will have major ramifications - for us not just Taiwan.

Taiwan is a critical national security interest, we have to fight for it if we want to stay a global power.

Off topic:
Taiwan shouldn't be a critical natsec interest. The fact that it is reveals critical strategic errors by previous leadership. Taiwan was always a high risk.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Ukraine has been hands-off to Russia's energy exports, they're dependent themselves. But I can see a time coming that the need will outweigh the status quo, and Russia's capacity to ship gas & oil will become a priority target. Never mind the effects or Europe. They made their bed, they can live with it. I'd really love to see the production facilities in Russia's central & eastern regions take some hits. Sanctions would make that a near-permanent loss.
View Quote

I’m hearing Ukraine is already considering those measures.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

Russia should have thousands upon thousands of T-72s in storage, which are better and newer than T-62s. You'd think it would be easier to pull those out and get them combat ready over an older design that isn't in production anymore.

For anti infantry use the Terminators that are showing up make more sense but they probably only have a few of them.

Sure, maybe they have more HE/frag/whatever in 115mm, but otherwise I'd think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages of bringing T-62s over T-72s.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:
Originally Posted By Wolfy42:

Part of the reason they are using T62s is due to its 115mm gun which is more suited for bunker busting and infantry support then the 125mm due to ammo choice.

Otherwise the T62 is an obsolete death trap.  Any decent modern IFV would be able to take it out.

Why would they prefer 115 over 125 HE?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Commando223:
Serious question why is Zelensky still begging for weapons?

At this point I would imagine they have enough maybe just resupply ammo but are they losing equipment like crazy or what's going on I really don't follow this that closely anymore.

View Quote

They're still out numbered, out manned, and lack much of an air force. They have some planes left, but maybe two dozen at best. Hopefully more.

Russia still has warships, at least 500-600+ combat aircraft, hundreds of helicopters, and thousands of older tanks like T-72s that can refurbish.

This is far from over.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Kremlin mulls Nuremberg-style trials based on second world war tribunals
Russia to seek to justify invasion of Ukraine by staging show trials of war prisoners, conflict scholars fear

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/28/kremlin-mulls-nuremberg-style-trials-based-on-second-world-war-tribunals

The gloating began just days after the missiles began falling on Ukraine. “Get ready for Nuremberg 2.0,” one former Russian diplomat wrote in a WhatsApp message. Vladimir Putin’s invasion to “denazify” the country has always pointed toward a purge and show trials. Now Moscow may seize on that chance.

As Russia holds hundreds of prisoners from the Azovstal steelworks in Mariupol, its proxies in east Ukraine have floated the idea of holding a “military tribunal” inspired by Nuremberg that observers say would reflect a mass show trial meant to justify Russia’s invasion to the world.

“We are planning to organise an international tribunal on the republic’s territory,” said Denis Pushilin, the leader of a Russian-controlled territory in the Donetsk region. A model could be the Kharkiv trial of 1943, he said, when the Soviet military tried, convicted and executed three Germans and one Ukrainian by hanging. One key audience was the world press. Photos of the hangings were printed in Life magazine.
View Quote

It's really unfortunate that Pushilin is still alive. A sad parasite.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#50]
So the Greek shipping industry basically runs Greece, and Greece effectively killed the EU embargo proposed for Russian oil. Greeks own more than a quarter of the world's oil tankers by capacity, and they are currently shipping Russian oil around to third countries. But the Greek Gov can't have Russians shipping Iranian oil around, because that would violate the EU sanctions. So Iran seizes two Greek ships which were probably shipping Russian oil. Much double-standard, very WTF.
View Quote
That sounds like anti-trust behavior to me.  Maybe Biden can do something about that after he finishes his east coast ice cream shop tour?

The Swiss also has been using russian sanctions for the benefit of their economy.  Of course, everyone here should know by now that Swiss banking secrecy is not what it once was.  So, they rely on commodities trading and other similar markets.  Since russia cannot directly sell it's commodities, the Swiss brokers are using a scheme where they take ownership (on paper) and trade those commodities for the russians.  Greek shipping is a factor here because the Swiss brokers don't take physical possession, so they need a 3rd party to pickup the commodities in russia.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2033 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top