Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2058 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:04:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#1]
https://t.me/horevica/3739

LWhile the Germans are freezing the transfer of weapons to us, our craftsmen have invented just such a Banderomobile

Moreover, this machine does not exist in a single copy - there are already 3 of them, and soon there will be even more 😏”

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

It pisses me off to no end every time I see videos like that where the Ukrainians have to destroy their own property (and livestock in this case) to root out the invaders.
View Quote

Yeah, war is a tragedy.  Even when you win you need to lose things and people to do it
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

And people keep saying they don't see how Ukraine can win this. I just don't see how they can lose.

Also note the details from the ISW report AT posted above.  No first aid training, no medical train.  No secure comms, using runners like it's WWI.  Amputations on the wounded by the buckets because of no supplies or capable medics.  This is not an army that can sustain this kind of strain for very long.  The end could come quickly, actually.
View Quote

I think WWI is an apt comparison.  The Russians have proven to be able to suffer great hardship “for the motherland”, but everyone has their limit.  We may see a “1917 French Army mutiny” (i.e. refusing to attack but generally otherwise compliant)  or we may eventually see outright rebellion amongst various units.
I actually think that if anyone overthrows Putin it will be the Army.  The Army and KGB/FSB never liked each other, and FSB rule has been a catastrophe for Russia.  More specifically, the FSB fucked the Army in Ukraine and I would bet my left arm there is a lot of bad blood over that.
I understand not just taking the UA’s word on Russian morale problems.  However, there have been enough credible leaks lately from the Russian side that point to this being essentially accurate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Lot of historical stuff forever lost in wars. Odessa considered one of the most preserved historical cities I believe.
View Quote

Lviv too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Look at Prime's post of the Russian guy complaining about literal drone swarms and artillery methodically taking out every vehicle they find.  Huge casualty rates and no rest, and you get shoe polish and wet toilet paper for your troubles.   The Russians are going to have to invade on roller skates if this keeps up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack67:
Originally Posted By Prime:

And people keep saying they don't see how Ukraine can win this. I just don't see how they can lose.

Also note the details from the ISW report AT posted above.  No first aid training, no medical train.  No secure comms, using runners like it's WWI.  Amputations on the wounded by the buckets because of no supplies or capable medics.  This is not an army that can sustain this kind of strain for very long.  The end could come quickly, actually.

Look at Prime's post of the Russian guy complaining about literal drone swarms and artillery methodically taking out every vehicle they find.  Huge casualty rates and no rest, and you get shoe polish and wet toilet paper for your troubles.   The Russians are going to have to invade on roller skates if this keeps up.

I am curious what the problems and shortcomings the UA are running into on their side that keep them from steamrolling through.  Is it lack of ammunition and ordnance?  Manpower?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sq40:

I am curious what the problems and shortcomings the UA are running into on their side that keep them from steamrolling through.  Is it lack of ammunition and ordnance?  Manpower?
View Quote

Lack of robust logistic capability and decades of experience.
Lack of combined-arms capabilities and decades of experience.
Lack of the ability to deny the enemy intel (specifically aerial recon).  It’s hard to make a breakthrough if the enemy always knows what’s coming and where.  This is actually a bigger problem for Russia, but it’s still a problem for Ukraine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:12:52 AM EDT
[#7]
They need armor, artillery shells, manpower and the command structure to pull it off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:
For everyone saying Ukraine needs to attack. I guess I'm really reading different news sources now other than here.

Multiple sources have stated pretty firmly that Ukraine won't attwck yet because their mobilization isn't complete and their training on the best of the western systems isn't done. They don't want to throw their kids into the meat grinder like the Russians are, and they need the logistics train to actually sustain a real offensive, not like what the Russians have done.

Most analysts I've read point to July and August when the real party starts and they can push the orcs out of the country. But remember, Russia controls an area about 2/3rds the size of Poland. You aren't gonna capture it quickly, and the Ukrainians don't want to get into a slog like the Russians have
View Quote

That may be all they're capable of right now but the problem is that while they're mobilizing, Russia is cleansing the populations of occupied areas of Ukrainian identity. It gets worse with every town they cede. UA may take back their territory only to find it pro Russia. In a sense, UA could end up effectively as an occupier trying to repatriate the areas. Who knows how many residents they'll even be able to find who are alive and willing.

I don't know the solution to this but just keep in mind that there's some urgency involved beyond delaying and the mobile defense/trading territory.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:28:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

That may be all they're capable of right now but the problem is that while they're mobilizing, Russia is cleansing the populations of occupied areas of Ukrainian identity. It gets worse with every town they cede. UA may take back their territory only to find it pro Russia. In a sense, UA could end up effectively as an occupier trying to repatriate the areas. Who knows how many residents they'll even be able to find who are alive and willing.

I don't know the solution to this but just keep in mind that there's some urgency involved beyond delaying and the mobile defense/trading territory.

View Quote

The pro-Russian people should go live in Russia.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:31:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

The pro-Russian people should go live in Russia.
View Quote

No doubt. Give their homes to refugees who return.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 5:18:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#12]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Ukrainian special forces seem to wear green armbands, regular Ukrainian army wears yellow, Ukrainian territorial defence wears blue.

Russia is White, Russian backed units are Red and such.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hking:
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I cant keep up with the color of arm bands...who is wearing red lately? Are those Russian separatists KIA near that truck?

Russians have red and white/silver and I think green? Ukraine has been using blue and yellow.

Ukrainian special forces seem to wear green armbands, regular Ukrainian army wears yellow, Ukrainian territorial defence wears blue.

Russia is White, Russian backed units are Red and such.

It's pretty mixed.  I've seen separatist forces wearing both colors along with Russian units, and also orange.

Similarly, I've seen pictures of TDF, regulars, and such wearing all of the colors.

I think they just use whatever tape is available, and orange is probably a substitute for red and green a substitute for blue when they are short on those colors and also white or yellow, respectively.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Lviv too.
View Quote
In my wife's city in Ukraine, minus the churches you can count on one hand the buildings older than WWII. They stick out like a sore thumb.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Turns out the video of the BTR82 getting hit resulted in the death of Bisultanov, some high ranking kadyrovite.

And it was a British MP's son that did it.

?? Ukraine War - Ukrainian Foreign Legion Fighters RGW-90 Ambush On Russian BTR | Helmet Cam

Hero.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Turns out the video of the BTR82 getting hit resulted in the death of Bisultanov, some high ranking kadyrovite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scwCGABmRo4

Hero.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:03:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#18]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scwCGABmRo4

Hero.
View Quote

There was a video posted of him leading a bunch of guys after a firefight. Dude’s gettin’ shit done.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#19]
“Today, over the Odessa region, the Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down an enemy reconnaissance and strike UAV "Forpost".

The Rashist "bird" fell into the Black Sea, the OK "Pivden" reported. A drone of this type costs more than $7 million.”

https://t.me/truexanewsua/49514
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:11:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#20]
Originally Posted By nomansland:

I second that - thanks CharlieR, much appreciated.
I ordered the books R0N listed as well.
I would appreciate any recommendations on operational level of war a well (especially from a modeling standpoint).  I keep thinking of the gun range and speed of movement of these artillery pieces, along with associated logistics of the volume and weight of rds to achieve a desired effect and how to best model that out (FDC had some good comments earlier about the counterbattery - made me wonder if maybe Ukraine was limited in getting logistics of shells to their front or just spread out with the resources of guns was causing the lack of concentrated fire).  You really start to see the power of effective aircraft if they are able to deliver accurate CAS and suppresss air defense as one would think the F35 could do - the range and speed aircraft operate would be able to attack and mass at so many different areas of the battlefield (my impression is the air defense on both sides is precluding air power from being that effective - though I'm not seeing reports of Russian sortie rates we were getting earlier in the war to confirm).
View Quote

I am a big fan of Eric Bergerud, who wrote a great book on the South Pacific that talks about the American way of war.
The single coolest book out there is called "Steel Wind" it is the biography of Erich Bruchmuller, who was an artillery genius that pioneered how the Germans used Artillery at Riga in 1917 and later the 1918 offensives.  Its really cool how this tactical genius came out of nowhere and solved problems.
"The AEF Way of War" by Mark E. Grotelueschen describes how the US Army basically blew off Pershing and his rifleman-centirc view of combat to become a firepower centric/artillery oriented force.  Excellent.

That being said, what I recommend is this:  The US Army commissioned a series called "Large Scale Combat Operations" a few years ago, and the book on lethal and non lethal fires is a really well done set of vignettes.  It has nine vignettes on operational level fires.  Cambrai and Vimy Ridge were really well done, as were a few others.

It is free, and right here:

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Portals/7/combat-studies-institute/csi-books/lethal-and-non-lethal-fires-lsco-volume-3.pdf

There are also some nice book on combined arms maneuver and deep operations, including some Soviets vignettes. They are quick reads, and free.

here
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#22]

“Today, over the Odessa region, the Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down an enemy reconnaissance and strike UAV "Forpost".

The Rashist "bird" fell into the Black Sea, the OK "Pivden" reported. A drone of this type costs more than $7 million.”

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/2DE4E560-E690-41B6-986A-6EA927CEC36B-2406941.jpg

View Quote

Tech from the 1980s built in the 2020s.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
View Quote

Damn that’s impressive.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#25]
Interrogation of a UA wounded.

“Interrogation of dill:

In the ATO - was not. In the army - did not serve. Didn't go to landfills. I never shot, and in general I was not going to fight ...
Russia is fine.

As always, I don’t know anything, I didn’t fight.
And if the form of interrogation is changed? They will start talking like that, the tongue will hurt.”

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Severodonetsk

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Kingsmen:

Yeah, war is a tragedy.  Even when you win you need to lose things and people to do it
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kingsmen:
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

It pisses me off to no end every time I see videos like that where the Ukrainians have to destroy their own property (and livestock in this case) to root out the invaders.

I remember reading on Ernie's house of whoopass around 4th of July a few American nobles that had their houses taken out on their own accord because the British were garrisoned there.

They ended up dieing poor but free men.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Fighting in Severodonetsk

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Kitties!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

I am a big fan of Eric Bergerud, who wrote a great book on the South Pacific that talks about the American way of war.
The single coolest book out there is called "Steel Rain," it is the biography of Erich Bruchmuller, who was an artillery genius that pioneered how the Germans used Artillery at Riga in 1917 and later the 1918 offensives.  Its really cool how this tactical genius came out of nowhere and solved problems.
"The AEF Way of War" by Mark E. Grotelueschen describes how the US Army basically blew off Pershing and his rifleman-centirc view of combat to become a firepower centric/artillery oriented force.  Excellent.

That being said, what I recommend is this:  The US Army commissioned a series called "Large Scale Combat Operations" a few years ago, and the book on lethal and non lethal fires is a really well done set of vignettes.  It has nine vignettes on operational level fires.  Cambrai and Vimy Ridge were really well done, as were a few others.

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Portals/7/combat-studies-institute/csi-books/lethal-and-non-lethal-fires-lsco-volume-3.pdf

There are also some nice book on combined arms maneuver and deep operations, including some Soviets vignettes. They are quick reads, and free.

here
View Quote

Those are some great resources, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#32]

The single coolest book out there is called "Steel Rain," it is the biography of Erich Bruchmuller, who was an artillery genius that pioneered how the Germans used Artillery at Riga in 1917 and later the 1918 offensives.  Its really cool how this tactical genius came out of nowhere and solved problems.

here
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nomansland:

I second that - thanks CharlieR, much appreciated.
I ordered the books R0N listed as well.
I would appreciate any recommendations on operational level of war a well (especially from a modeling standpoint).  I keep thinking of the gun range and speed of movement of these artillery pieces, along with associated logistics of the volume and weight of rds to achieve a desired effect and how to best model that out (FDC had some good comments earlier about the counterbattery - made me wonder if maybe Ukraine was limited in getting logistics of shells to their front or just spread out with the resources of guns was causing the lack of concentrated fire).  You really start to see the power of effective aircraft if they are able to deliver accurate CAS and suppresss air defense as one would think the F35 could do - the range and speed aircraft operate would be able to attack and mass at so many different areas of the battlefield (my impression is the air defense on both sides is precluding air power from being that effective - though I'm not seeing reports of Russian sortie rates we were getting earlier in the war to confirm).

here

The Bruchmuller book is the “Steel Wind”
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:56:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#33]
Originally Posted By R0N:

The Bruchmuller book is the “Steel Wind”
View Quote

Shit. Yeah, youre right.  Need more coffee. FIxed it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#34]
My apologies to James Valdez who I questioned whether he was a full combat soldier or in a rear echelon position here in this thread. I watched the interview on Speak the Truth and some of the footage he provided.  There's no doubt now, but you have to admit some of the videos he posted are kind of hokey.

I guess his intent on those videos was marketing to get more donations for his troops.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#35]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/2DE4E560-E690-41B6-986A-6EA927CEC36B-2406941.jpg

View Quote

That thing looks like a couple of maytags with a telephone pole stuffed through them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Fighting in Severodonetsk

View Quote
Some Snack Bars in the video
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Lviv too.
View Quote

California Army National Guard was going to Lviv annually but I was never in any of the units that got to go there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Kitties!
View Quote
A fine meal for Orcs, This and dogs
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:00:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#39]

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By FG24U:
My brother was in both Ukraine and Poland for the last week. He does relief work.

He had just got back from Bulgaria a few days before he left.  So, there were plans being made while he was gone. He says one of his coworkers tells him that among other things they’re bringing a bunch of “bullet proof vests”. My brother is like “huh”? Coworker goes and grabs a few big duffel bags that supposedly had 50 vests in them. My brother is in the know and thinking there’s no way this guy is carrying 50 “bulletproof vests” and it obviously turns out to be a bunch of carriers. Immediately gets concerned and gets in contact with their contact in Ukraine.
The Ukrainian contact chuckles at him and tells him not to worry. This is exactly what we need.

They arrive in Ukraine, meet the contact at some facility and guy takes my brother through some building while asking if he’s seen these tractor videos of them pulling tanks. “What do you think we do with these tanks?” They make it into a shop where he sees a bunch of 16-22yo kids cannibalizing a half dozen tanks. They’re cutting up armor for plate carriers…with oxyacetylene. My brother tries to explain to them showing them his own set-up. They didn’t care. Better than nothing I guess.

He had a ton of heartbreaking shit to say. Thought I’d share something a little more light hearted.

If you see some “come and take it” morale patches on Ukrainian soldiers you know where they came from.

I’ll add that my brother said the Pols are not half helping. Everyone has Ukrainians living with them. People genuinely trying to help. Reminded him of right after 9/11 for lack of a better analogy. Apparently, the Russians are under order to rape their way through the country. Horrible, horrible stories from the refugees (all women/children).
View Quote

Very interesting. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
A fine meal for Orcs, This and dogs
View Quote

They taste like rabbit!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:

That thing looks like a couple of maytags with a telephone pole stuffed through them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:

That’s a radar recon drone.  I bet they’re looking for those drone ships we sent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#45]
These guys know how to party.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Having designed, built, and flown a number of vehicles over the years, I can state with some authority that is one ugly aircraft. It's good the UA shot it down as it was stinking up the sky.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#47]

The single coolest book out there is called "Steel Wind" it is the biography of Erich Bruchmuller, who was an artillery genius that pioneered how the Germans used Artillery at Riga in 1917 and later the 1918 offensives.  Its really cool how this tactical genius came out of nowhere and solved problems.

here
View Quote

Boy, there’s a lot of good stuff there.  Downloaded that arty volume already.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Sum big rockets:

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#49]

First map I’ve seen showing locations of most of Ukrainian units.
https://www.csis.org/analysis/russias-ill-fated-invasion-ukraine-lessons-modern-warfare
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

On a US strategic level the non sensical closing of that pipeline project just weakens the US for no good reason. Funny old Garry being a chess player and picking up on this.  

Even if you are a nutjob that wants less oil to be used it make no sense to limit your options to get siad oil that you wil be using.

View Quote

That pipeline was not significant, what was significant was the very clear "we're coming to get you" message.

The US government has been weaponized against energy production by watermelons (green on the outside, red in the middle)
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2058 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top