Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2059 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prime:
View Quote

The reaction from the Stugna team... Whoa!,  Ohhhhh....
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

This makes me very happy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
"Everything is gone": Russian business hit hard by tech sanctions
Export controls and sanctions have plunged Russia into technological crisis.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/06/everything-is-gone-russian-business-hit-hard-by-tech-sanctions/

With the country unable to export much of its raw materials, import critical goods, or access global financial markets, economists expect Russia's gross domestic product to contract by as much as 15 percent this year.

Export controls on "dual use" technology that can have both civilian and military applications such as microchips, semiconductors, and servers are likely to have some of the most severe and lasting effects on Russia's economy. The country's biggest telecoms groups will be unable to access 5G equipment, while cloud computing products from tech leader Yandex and Sberbank, Russia's largest bank, will struggle to expand their data center services.

This makes me very happy.

This is just a few months of this.

Image this x3 years. Or 5 years.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Capta:

I think WWI is an apt comparison.  The Russians have proven to be able to suffer great hardship “for the motherland”, but everyone has their limit.  We may see a “1917 French Army mutiny” (i.e. refusing to attack but generally otherwise compliant)  or we may eventually see outright rebellion amongst various units.
I actually think that if anyone overthrows Putin it will be the Army.  The Army and KGB/FSB never liked each other, and FSB rule has been a catastrophe for Russia.  More specifically, the FSB fucked the Army in Ukraine and I would bet my left arm there is a lot of bad blood over that.
I understand not just taking the UA’s word on Russian morale problems.  However, there have been enough credible leaks lately from the Russian side that point to this being essentially accurate.
View Quote

That is the point they are sorely aware of. This "Special Operation" is not for Motherland, it's not even called a "war". It is entirely pointless. other than to solidify Kremlin's total power.

Call it a war and go to jail. Journalism is dead over there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

I think he got off on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

I am a big fan of Eric Bergerud, who wrote a great book on the South Pacific that talks about the American way of war.
The single coolest book out there is called "Steel Wind" it is the biography of Erich Bruchmuller, who was an artillery genius that pioneered how the Germans used Artillery at Riga in 1917 and later the 1918 offensives.  Its really cool how this tactical genius came out of nowhere and solved problems.
"The AEF Way of War" by Mark E. Grotelueschen describes how the US Army basically blew off Pershing and his rifleman-centirc view of combat to become a firepower centric/artillery oriented force.  Excellent.

That being said, what I recommend is this:  The US Army commissioned a series called "Large Scale Combat Operations" a few years ago, and the book on lethal and non lethal fires is a really well done set of vignettes.  It has nine vignettes on operational level fires.  Cambrai and Vimy Ridge were really well done, as were a few others.

It is free, and right here:

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Portals/7/combat-studies-institute/csi-books/lethal-and-non-lethal-fires-lsco-volume-3.pdf

There are also some nice book on combined arms maneuver and deep operations, including some Soviets vignettes. They are quick reads, and free.

here
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#7]
Ukrainian 36th Seperate Marine Brigade hitting Russian soldiers with drone corrected mortar fire in Southern Ukraine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/v4pnre/ukrainian_36th_separate_marine_brigade_kills/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Stugna-P atgm strikes, this shows the operators hand and how he uses the controls while guiding the missile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/v4obnz/interesting_video_of_stugnap_strike_on_russian/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sq40:

I am curious what the problems and shortcomings the UA are running into on their side that keep them from steamrolling through.  Is it lack of ammunition and ordnance?  Manpower?
View Quote

Streamroller with what? Much easier for them defending from concealed positions using Western weapons. Zelensky said they're already losing 100 KIA a day, that would exponentially increase if they try attacking into Russian defensive positions.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]

I am curious what the problems and shortcomings the UA are running into on their side that keep them from steamrolling through.  Is it lack of ammunition and ordnance?  Manpower?
View Quote

They don't yet have enough people. But a lot more people are in the Ukranian military training pipeline getting trained on good weapons and these green troops will be entering the fight very soon. But not yet. Ukraine does not yet have enough troops for much of anything but preventing russia advance, and using tactics to chew up russians when they can be tricked into leaving their defensive positions.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
https://t.me/horevica/3739

LWhile the Germans are freezing the transfer of weapons to us, our craftsmen have invented just such a Banderomobile

Moreover, this machine does not exist in a single copy - there are already 3 of them, and soon there will be even more "

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/29D759FF-A4C6-40A0-84D7-88D6864576F5-2406772.jpg
View Quote
Wow, that is some awesome home brew.  Even has elevation and traverse mechanisms.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YaNi05] [#12]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

They don't yet have enough people. But a lot more people are in the Ukranian military training pipeline getting trained on good weapons and these green troops will be entering the fight very soon. But not yet. Ukraine does not yet have enough troops for much of anything but preventing russia advance, and using tactics to chew up russians when they can be tricked into leaving their defensive positions.
View All Quotes

One big issue is vehicles in general. They need tanks, APCs, IFVs, and probably most importantly, lot of trucks to haul all the junk around. They can't rely upon rail transport, since that is easy to target and has been targeted, so they need a 'red ball express' moving supplies from West to East/South.

This has proven to be a war of heavy weapons, so I'm not so sure how an additional 500k UA infantry would impact the battlefield. Certainly, more is better, but you still need all the supporting elements to keep them from being easy fodder for arty and enemy combined arms(if that ever becomes a thing). I still think UA armor (actual combined arms) will play a big part in Ukraine recovering its lost territory.

Their gains will come from breakthroughs and a mobile reserve ready to seize upon those opportunities.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
My apologies to James Valdez who I questioned whether he was a full combat soldier or in a rear echelon position here in this thread. I watched the interview on Speak the Truth and some of the footage he provided.  There's no doubt now, but you have to admit some of the videos he posted are kind of hokey.

I guess his intent on those videos was marketing to get more donations for his troops.
View Quote

I did not feel I had enough information to jump on that bandwagon and am glad I did not.  I appreciate your integrity for manning up and setting things straight.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#14]

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Gents, save yourself the time with the

Remember:
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Gents, save yourself the time with the

Remember:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu31PFp2yqQ
View Quote

lol, I always appreciate the sense of humor you gents have.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firefly1032] [#19]
Originally Posted By YaNi05:
One big issue is vehicles in general. They need tanks, APCs, IFVs, and probably most importantly, lot of trucks to haul all the junk around. They can't rely upon rail transport, since that is easy to target and has been targeted, so they need a 'red ball express' moving supplies from West to East/South.

This has proven to be a war of heavy weapons, so I'm not so sure how an additional 500k UA infantry would impact the battlefield. Certainly, more is better, but you still need all the supporting elements to keep them from being easy fodder for arty and enemy combined arms(if that ever becomes a thing). I still think UA armor (actual combined arms) will play a big part in Ukraine recovering its lost territory.

Their gains will come from breakthroughs and a mobile reserve ready to seize upon those opportunities.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By YaNi05:

Yeah, I’m under the impression UA doesn’t possess the offensive tools (or enough of them) to launch a major offensive to retake real estate. MLRS and other tools help but they aren’t getting then in large quantities to withstand attrition against an army that would then be on the defense with arguable air superiority, equal artillery, etc.

I believe UA’s best chance is a grinding demoralization of RU forces that results in large scale retreat/desertion. The issue I see with current state in the east is the window for this happening is closing or has closed. Supply lines are stronger in that area, they have better support from artillery/air, and the likelihood of partisan/SF disruption is significantly lower. This is why I believe the next gap in RU’s armor is south in Kherson while they stem the tide in the east.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a method to translate entire pages like this one?

Antiputler_news
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#21]
For the armor nerds:

120 mm M829 APFSDS-T Vs T-72 Tank Frontal Composite Armor #Armor Piercing Simulation 4K

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Firefly1032:

Yeah, I'm under the impression UA doesn't possess the offensive tools (or enough of them) to launch a major offensive to retake real estate. MLRS and other tools help but they aren't getting then in large quantities to withstand attrition against an army that would then be on the defense with arguable air superiority, even artillery, etc.

I believe UA's best chance is a grinding demoralization of RU forces that results in large scale retreat/desertion. The issue I see with current state in the east is the window for this happening is closing or has closed. Supply lines are stronger in that area, they have better support from artillery/air, and the likelihood of partisan/SF disruption is significantly lower. This is why I believe the next gap in RU's armor is south in Kherson while they stem the tide in the east.
View Quote

All you have to look at is what happened around Kyiv. The Russians pulled out rather than the UA forcing them out by radically overpowering them. The Russians can throw endless amounts of material at the front. The UA just has to make it not worth it for them to do that instead of rolling tank battalion's in and driving them out.  It sucks but they just can't put together a massive push but they can kill enough russian soldiers and tanks to make them decide holding the ground isn't worth it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:27:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firefly1032] [#23]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

All you have to look at is what happened around Kyiv. The Russians pulled out rather than the UA forcing them out by radically overpowering them. The Russians can throw endless amounts of material at the front. The UA just has to make it not worth it for them to do that instead of rolling tank battalion's in and driving them out.  It sucks but they just can't put together a massive push but they can kill enough russian soldiers and tanks to make them decide holding the ground isn't worth it.

View All Quotes

Yeah, I'm under the impression UA doesn't possess the offensive tools (or enough of them) to launch a major offensive to retake real estate. MLRS and other tools help but they aren't getting then in large quantities to withstand attrition against an army that would then be on the defense with arguable air superiority, even artillery, etc.

I believe UA's best chance is a grinding demoralization of RU forces that results in large scale retreat/desertion. The issue I see with current state in the east is the window for this happening is closing or has closed. Supply lines are stronger in that area, they have better support from artillery/air, and the likelihood of partisan/SF disruption is significantly lower. This is why I believe the next gap in RU's armor is south in Kherson while they stem the tide in the east.

Precisely, same around Kharkiv and Sumy…exact same story.

On another note, here is part 2 of Kings and General’s coverage of the war (not sure if this has been posted already):

Battle of Donbas Begins - Russian Invasion of Ukraine DOCUMENTARY

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#24]
That $7 million dollar drone that someone posted about earlier is interesting, so I dug a little and found this:

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.php?aircraft_id=1486

It is a Russian licenced copy of an Israeli ISR drone, the IAI Searcher II series, from the 80's as someone here surmised. .  Very good kill, only 35 were made, but it has radar, and Electro Optical payloads.  Note the horrid thermal imaging capabilities of this system in the video below.

This video shows the symbology and the daylight electro optical system, this is the system on Russian videos using its laser designator for guided artillery and launching it's own strikes.  Also has the strange method of moving the e/o camera which is "twitchy".  It is pretty much the best they have in inventory.  Commercial Chinese 4k drones have better optics though.

How Russian "Forpost-R" UAV Works In Real Action #ukraine #war
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

They are already pulling out T-62s for storage. Does that sound like somebody with  “endless amounts of material”? By way of comparison, it’s like if US started to use M60s.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Donetsk getting pounded:

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Krater:

They are already pulling out T-62s for storage. Does that sound like somebody with  “endless amounts of material”? By way of comparison, it’s like if US started to use M60s.
View All Quotes

Oh, it’s material alright
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#29]
When someone wears a T-shirt to work, they’re either really good or really bad at their job.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#31]
“Ukrainians are shelling their own cities”.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I'm going to assume it's Ukraine doing the pounding.
View Quote

In that case I agree.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Donetsk getting pounded:

View Quote

Orcs attempting to push west? I have a hard time remembering who is in control of what.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Orcs attempting to push west? I have a hard time remembering who is in control of what.
View Quote

Supposedly UA using MLRS to hit the city.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#35]

They are already pulling out T-62s for storage. Does that sound like somebody with  "endless amounts of material"? By way of comparison, it's like if US started to use M60s.
View Quote

Yes, like they actually have T-62's in storage to send. Obviously they are taking huge losses and will at some point reach the end of their war material. But they aren't quite there yet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Thanks. My bad. It's sad that Ukranians are now having to bomb their own city to root out invaders.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

More like M48A5s.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

That’s a questionable use of resources.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#40]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Depends.  The fire looked like it was concentrated along a linear area and relatively concentrated.  Could be targeting a military installation, a supply/logistics hub, a rail line/rail yard, convoy assembly area, or some kind of concentration along a highway.  Unlike the US, where there are highway bypasses, a lot of main roads in Europe, and even military installations, are in built-up areas. The fact it was executed at night could be an indicator is was pre-planned interdiction mission of some sort to both minimize civilian casualties and enhance collateral effects, while complicating effective counterfire.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, like they actually have T-62's in storage to send. Obviously they are taking huge losses and will at some point reach the end of their war material. But they aren't quite there yet.
View Quote

They've probably got 10,000 T-72s in storage, give or take a thousand. But they don't have the resources to get those operational again, as they've been neglected, and many have been stripped by their "maintainers" to sell off for extra vodka money.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Depends.  The fire looked like it was concentrated along a linear area and relatively concentrated.  Could be targeting a military installation, a supply/logistics hub, a rail line/rail yard, convoy assembly area, or some kind of concentration along a highway.  Unlike the US, where there are highway bypasses, a lot of main roads in Europe, and even military installations, are in built-up areas.
View Quote

I’m operating on the assumption that What they’d use is a Smerch or similar, so very poor accuracy unless used with cluster munitions, in which case is this the right target?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm beginning to think UA has been playing "rope-a-dope" on the field, and via social media and official announcements.  Lot of doom and gloom the last couple weeks, battlefield footage from UA forces slowing to a trickle, troops pulling back, etc.

Then the "trap" they claim to have sprung this week in Sievierodonetsk, the sudden influx of a lot more UA success videos in the last few days, and some of the doom and gloom coming from bloggers on the Russian side, it could be the UA coming off the ropes swinging.  Not going to win the bout this way, but they may have scored a lot of points in the Donbas round, to carry the boxing analogy to absurd lengths.  

And hell, they seemed to have mastered the butterfly float and the bee sting already.  :)
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YaNi05] [#44]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

They've probably got 10,000 T-72s in storage, give or take a thousand. But they don't have the resources to get those operational again, as they've been neglected, and many have been stripped by their "maintainers" to sell off for extra vodka money.
View Quote
This is from mid April, but Russia had about 6000 tanks in storage and probably half or less could ever be operational again.

A significant percentage don't have turrets, for example. That's about as in depth as one can get via satellite imagery. But you can imagine some don't have powertrains, some don't have wiring harnesses, some don't have optics, etc. Then you have the issue of sitting outside in the sun, rain, snow for 30 years, and I can imagine that a huge percentage of them will never move again under their own power.

How Many Tanks Does Russia Really Have? And Where Are They?

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Forgot to post this one earlier, bear in mind this is from a pro-RU source…if 1.5k is all they can drum up in Kherson then they are never going to hold it unless they exterminate/export the natives.

🇷🇺🇺🇦 In the Kherson region, about 1.5 thousand people applied for Russian citizenship, authorities said

https://t.me/intelslava/30780
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I'm going to assume it's Ukraine doing the pounding.
View Quote

Is feels like a change in strategy???
Donetsk is Russia controlled territory going back to 2014.
The capital city and largest city within the DPR is Donetsk.

UA ain't fighting for Feb 2022 territory, but April 2014 territory.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Last known video of AN-225 before being destroyed. Does raise some questions of who actually destroyed it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/v4wmlv/last_video_of_live_an225/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Croak:
I'm beginning to think UA has been playing "rope-a-dope" on the field, and via social media and official announcements.  Lot of doom and gloom the last couple weeks, battlefield footage from UA forces slowing to a trickle, troops pulling back, etc.

Then the "trap" they claim to have sprung this week in Sievierodonetsk, the sudden influx of a lot more UA success videos in the last few days, and some of the doom and gloom coming from bloggers on the Russian side, it could be the UA coming off the ropes swinging.  Not going to win the bout this way, but they may have scored a lot of points in the Donbas round, to carry the boxing analogy to absurd lengths.  

And hell, they seemed to have mastered the butterfly float and the bee sting already.  :)
View Quote

It seems like they have been fighting smart as though they have been getting ready for this for years. Probably would have been nice for them to get more weapons from us earlier.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Whether it was destroyed by Russians or by Ukrainian artillery doesn’t matter, the fault is Russias.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Last known video of AN-225 before being destroyed. Does raise some questions of who actually destroyed it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/v4wmlv/last_video_of_live_an225/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
View Quote

I was under the impression it was hit by the Ukranians during their attack to recapture the airport.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2059 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top