Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2289 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
ISW assessment came in for August 11th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-11

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-11

Russia’s 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade (64th SGMRB) of the 35th Combined Arms Army (CAA) has likely been destroyed in combat, possibly as part of an intentional Kremlin effort to conceal the war crimes it committed in Kyiv Oblast. Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty (RFEFL) investigative journalist Mark Krutov conducted an investigation into the brigade following its participation in atrocities in Bucha and concluded that after heavy fighting on the Izyum and Slovyansk axes, the brigade has largely ceased to exist.[6] Krutov stated that out of 1,500 soldiers who were in the brigade before the war, 200 to 300 were likely killed.[7] Krutov quoted CNA Russia Studies director Michael Kofman’s estimates that the typical ratio for those killed to those wounded in action is around 1 to 3.5, which would mean that the 64th SGMRB suffered up to 700 to 1,000 wounded in action. It is typical for Russian units that are so severely degraded during combat to be disbanded and survivors reallocated into other combat elements, but Krutov noted that Russian President Vladimir Putin cannot disband the 64th SGMRB without embarrassment. Putin had awarded the brigade the honorary “guards” designation on April 18, following the emergence of evidence that it had committed war crimes in Bucha.[9] The brigade was rushed back into combat in eastern Ukraine after it had completed its withdrawal from around Kyiv without much time to rest, refit, receive replacements, or recover. Speculation at the time ran that the Kremlin was eager to have the brigade destroyed in combat to avoid revelation of its war crimes.[10]  

Ukrainian military officials confirmed additional Ukrainian strikes against Russian command posts and ammunition depots in Southern Ukraine. The Ukrainian Southern Operational Command reported hitting the command post of the Russian 126th Guards Coastal Defense Brigade in Novokamyanka and an ammunition depot in Barvinok, 62km east and 20km northwest of Kherson City, respectively.[33] Ukrainian forces also reportedly damaged a command and observation post of a battalion tactical group of the 76th Airborne Assault Division in Ischenka (just east of the Ukrainian bridgehead over Inhulets River) and destroyed a command post of the 49th Combined Arms Army (CAA) near Chervonyi Mayak (about 30km northeast of Nova Kakhovka).[34] ISW has previously reported that Ukrainian forces reportedly struck a command post of the 49th CAA in Chornobaivka (about 5km northwest of Kherson City) on August 6, which could suggest that Russian forces either split or moved their command posts from Kherson City.[35] Both strikes suggest that Russian forces are maintaining or relocating their positions within the range of US-provided HIMARS systems. Ukrainian forces inflicted significant losses on Russian officers and senior personnel in Kyiv, Chernihiv, and Sumy Oblasts situated in command posts near the frontline even before receiving HIMARS systems in part because Russian commanders moved close to the front lines to control their troops. Russian forces are apparently continuing to endanger their command posts, likely to be ready to control their forces in anticipation of a possible Ukrainian counteroffensive. It is unclear when or if Ukrainian forces will launch a large-scale ground counteroffensive in southern Ukraine, but they are effectively using Russian preparations for such a counteroffensive to attrit Russian leadership and logistics capabilities.

Damn.  That’s sone cold, calculating shit from the Kremlin.

No sympathies though for the Russians.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Look in the commanders hatch top right of tank, I think there is a guy in there, unfortunately the front left of the tank seems to be using land mines in place of ERA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/wmp9vp/ukrainian_drone_destroying_a_russian_tank_with_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Look in the commanders hatch top right of tank, I think there is a guy in there, unfortunately the front left of the tank seems to be using land mines in place of ERA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/wmp9vp/ukrainian_drone_destroying_a_russian_tank_with_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
View Quote

Damn Son! That boom was so big it looked like it almost smoked the drone.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Posted on ARFCOM in 3... 2... 1...
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

They need to form a Hardbass alliance to turn out more music so the non Russian options aren't so slim.

Although several Russian artists in various genres have come out against the war so I'll still play them
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Curious that it's only those countries. No Romania, Baltics, or Hungary.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/1A67B8FE-5947-4B9D-A5F1-08E9EA06FD6A_jpe-2486368.JPG

View Quote

Yup. Our usual retards will be posting about how Zelensky does whatever XYZ the Russians post. Maybe they will have a photoshopped pic of Zelensky in drag hosting a tranny story time reading at a kindergarten.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

View All Quotes

I'm trying to figure what that is leading to myself.  Perhaps more will join in?
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Sounds like a winner to me. Every European nation that can produce anything useful for Ukraine's defense should spool up production to the max and coordinate their efforts. Ukraine also has a need for more tanks and IFVs. The Czechs have a really good upgrade package they can perform on the T-72 and BMP-1/2 that makes them much more modern, survivable and formidable. Ukraine should send its out of service tanks there for servicing, upgrade and modernization.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Staged news from Russian  media including fake civilians running on cue for the cameramen.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Good question. Hungary is too "agnostic" about this war. Romania is too poor, corrupt, or whatever. The Baltics dont share a border...
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
lol, the intercepted Russian phone calls now come with animation.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Now that's what I call reactive armor!
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

If they could put them a little closer I'm sure it'd be appreciated
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#20]

But that doesn't explain why the explosive filler was refilled in its complete volume by rubber on all the Kontakt-1 ERA on the turret roof.   It also doesn't explain the angled metal piece that is bolted inside and sandwiched with the filler which is supposed to be there, you should not be able to flip through this material like a thick deck of cards either.  The plates are metal encased explosives.   There would be no point to remove that metal piece as manufactured, it's simply missing from the beginning.

The other ERA on the front of the hull does have removed explosive filler, but there must have been a graft going on at the place that made the Kontakt-1

Inside, each brick should look like this:  The gray stuff is the explosive material, the other parts are the metal plates bolted inside.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BAE1xl0zNhU/VZeIbWgO81I/AAAAAAAACn0/joOMeG8uld0/s1600/2c20.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0oZf0fE_h9s/WZVfLG8EClI/AAAAAAAAJAw/IpgESdos2ykvZYZqN-WfTB7D0n0cMtlhQCLcBGAs/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/k-1%2Bangled.png
View Quote

What’s being used on that T-80 is Kontakt-5. The roof tile includes rubber as a spacer. Now, it’s entirely possible the Russians were lazy and didn’t install the explosive filler before the war began. It’s also equally plausible that the Ukrainians stripped it along with everything else that was usable. I can find references that Ukrainian Nozh is interchangeable with the 4S22 filler used in K-5.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
This falls in line with the ISW assessment for Southern front.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:41:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#22]
Originally Posted By Dbnd:

What’s being used on that T-80 is Kontakt-5. The roof tile includes rubber as a spacer. Now, it’s entirely possible the Russians were lazy and didn’t install the explosive filler before the war began. It’s also equally plausible that the Ukrainians stripped it along with everything else that was usable. I can find references that Ukrainian Nozh is interchangeable with the 4S22 filler used in K-5.
View All Quotes

But that doesn't explain why the explosive filler was refilled in its complete volume by rubber on all the Kontakt-1 ERA on the turret roof.   It also doesn't explain the angled metal piece that is bolted inside and sandwiched with the filler which is supposed to be there, you should not be able to flip through this material like a thick deck of cards either.  The plates are metal encased explosives.   There would be no point to remove that metal piece as manufactured, it's simply missing from the beginning.

The other ERA on the front of the hull does have removed explosive filler, but there must have been a graft going on at the place that made the Kontakt-1

Inside, each brick should look like this:  The gray stuff is the explosive material, the other parts are the metal plates bolted inside.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BAE1xl0zNhU/VZeIbWgO81I/AAAAAAAACn0/joOMeG8uld0/s1600/2c20.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0oZf0fE_h9s/WZVfLG8EClI/AAAAAAAAJAw/IpgESdos2ykvZYZqN-WfTB7D0n0cMtlhQCLcBGAs/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/k-1%2Bangled.png

Well, I agree with you, regarding Kontakt-5, but what they are looking at on the turret roof looks like Kontakt-1 bricks.  Kontact-5 bricks in the same size format have metal plates inside as well, so the container filled with a flexible material is puzzling, unless corruption was involved on the Russian side.

The schematic for the top turret bricks is at the bottom of the image.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CS223:

View All Quotes

Holy fuck! Are they seriously using landmines as era?.. dear baby Jesus they really are fucking retarded drunken fuck ups..it's embarrassing we have members here who think Russia has a strong Profesional military
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Que the Himars song: DO IT AGAIN
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Holy fuck! Are they seriously using landmines as era?.. dear baby Jesus they really are fucking retarded drunken fuck ups..it's embarrassing we have members here who think Russia has a strong Profesional military
View All Quotes

You try to explain to an 18 year old that their tanks armor has explosives in it to break up incoming rounds and the kid starts getting ideas on how to make his tank more survivable.  Landmines!!  Now that's the ticket!
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Well, I agree with you, regarding Kontakt-5, but what they are looking at on the turret roof looks like Kontakt-1 bricks.  Kontact-5 bricks in the same size format have metal plates inside as well, so the container filled with a flexible material is puzzling, unless corruption was involved on the Russian side.

https://cdn-live.warthunder.com/uploads/f3/25/c3/d44d3e212317dce23aadd76937637dc8c7_mq/10-11.png

https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/043/063/289/large/ryzhkov-3d-models-21-era-kontakt-5-render.jpg?1636201616
View All Quotes

https://cdn-live.warthunder.com/uploads/f3/25/c3/d44d3e212317dce23aadd76937637dc8c7_mq/10-11.png

https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/043/063/289/large/ryzhkov-3d-models-21-era-kontakt-5-render.jpg?1636201616

It also could be as simple as Ukrainian propaganda.. there is no way to confirm what is what with that armor.. but I have seen some evidence from inside Russia that shortcuts have degraded there own ability to produce everything they say they are. Bottom line is that it's no secret Russian armor is shit
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#27]

You try to explain to an 18 year old that their tanks armor has explosives in it to break up incoming rounds and the kid starts getting ideas on how to make his tank more survivable.  Landmines!!  Now that's the ticket!
View All Quotes

And I bet it was a russian staff Sargent that came up with that? Hahaha there leadership is trash and or dead.. makes you wonder what kind of people are they replacing those leadership positions with.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#28]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/1A67B8FE-5947-4B9D-A5F1-08E9EA06FD6A_jpe-2486368.JPG

View Quote
Greybars with ZDS are salivating....
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#29]

It also could be as simple as Ukrainian propaganda.. there is no way to confirm what is what with that armor.. but I have seen some evidence from inside Russia that shortcuts have degraded there own ability to produce everything they say they are. Bottom line is that it's no secret Russian armor is shit
View All Quotes

I understand that propaganda is a possibility, but we have seen problems years ago with customers that had Soviet era tanks with bolt on era not being what it was advertised to be.

This is Ukrainian era, called Nozh, and better than Kontakt-5.  Each mini explosive attempts to deflect the heat or even sabot combined with metal plates.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#30]
This falls in line with the ISW assessment for Southern front.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZ6i79fWYAEMrTh?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Unrelenting savagery.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#31]

Glad he’s around, but he needs to stay off Twitter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Alaskanbred:

Except India, they just bought some long range bombers and S400 systems from them
View Quote
Their entire submarine fleet appears to be russian.  They do have or had one Akula though. I don't think they know how to operate those properly and are most like fish food.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

They'd run out of anti-sat missiles faster than we could replace the satellites.
If sats become fair game, they're fucked.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

What air defense doing?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZ6HFoXX0AMG_M_?format=jpg&name=medium

They'd run out of anti-sat missiles faster than we could replace the satellites.
If sats become fair game, they're fucked.

The issue with shooting down satellites is that so much space junk is created at high velocities, one shoots down their own as a result.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 74HC:

The issue with shooting down satellites is that so much space junk is created at high velocities, one shoots down their own as a result.
View Quote

This. Kessler syndrome is a bitch, and no one should be blowing up satellites. Ever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

Damn.  That’s sone cold, calculating shit from the Kremlin.

No sympathies though for the Russians.
View Quote

A move right out of Stalin’s playbook. Or Beria. Stupidly senseless and cruel, but thoroughly Russian.

“Death solves all problems — no man, no problem.”
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charging_Handle] [#36]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

WTF?  Sure looked like they were hauling anti tank mines around on the mud guard.
View Quote

Are the Russians really so fucking stupid they would use land mines as a substitute for ERA?

Surely this was just an already damaged orc tank the Ukrainians decided to demo cheaply by stacking mines on top of it and lighting if off with a grenade drop so they didn't use a valuable Javelin or Stugna for the task? Or maybe the tank hit one of these mines, lost a track and Russian engineers were demining the area and stacking the located mines on the tank when the Ukrainian drone spotted their activities and decided to have a little fun?

Then again, it could just be Russia being Russia. Nothing would surprise me anymore. I'd always thought the typical enlisted Russian had an average IQ of about 75. We're talking an entire army of Forrest Gumps. But if Russians are riding around in tanks outfitted with landmines for ERA, and doing so on purpose, then Forrest Gump would be a fucking genius in that army.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

You gotta be shitting me!  I think you’re right!  It’s a literal example of “hoist by their own petard.”
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Their entire submarine fleet appears to be russian.  They do have or had one Akula though. I don't think they know how to operate those properly and are most like fish food.
View Quote

India leased an Akula from Russia for ten years. Returned in late 2021, so not in service with India any longer. India is paying Russia to complete another Akula class, which they intend to lease for ten years, starting in 2025 - though whether that will be completed now, is in doubt.

Surprisingly, India has two homegrown SSBNs (S4 class), one in service, one under construction, with three more new, larger SSBNs (S5 class) planned.

India has modified French Scorpene class diesel attack boats, built in India as the Kalvari class, with plans to develop a new indigenous diesel, and later, nuclear attack boat class (Project 75/75i).
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZ-VG1wXEAAzdkB?format=jpg&name=large

Glad he's around, but he needs to stay off Twitter.
View Quote

The dude shows up after the fact and takes glamor shots, and people eat it up. The fact that he's always trying to prove something says a lot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

So how does NATO and other and other countries defend Taiwan and our bases against a ballistic missile attack from China?

HIMARS is a game changer but they are zipping rite through bridge concrete.  How are planes left out on the tarmac to prevent the same type of saki attack from happening?

Yeah we have patriot but how long could that defend against it.  Was patriot in place after the solamani attack?
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#42]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

Yea that makes sense as well. You would think there would be more rockets etc going off instead of just the big explosions.

One thing i am stuck on is that If it was a missile it would have to be moving pretty fast to not catch anything on the film. Even in this crappy himars video you are still catching a glimpse of the warhead at 18 sec. And the video of saki we have is much better.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133188/800D425D-B001-4891-8046-E0F77AE5E06B_png-2486062.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5drPX9Zeg

View Quote

I am increasingly persuaded this was a commando job, because as others have pointed out:

- simultaneously explosions.  Timed charges will do that.  But large missiles don’t fly exactly side by side;

- daylight.  Haven’t most HIMARS been launched at night?

- Russian laxness / smugness about being “safe” in occupied Crimea.  Just look at those rich Russian bastards! A beach vacation - on someone else’s land?  While your orc countrymen slaughter and rape their way across the rest of Ukraine?  The indifference / ignorance of the Russian population is a big part of the larger problem.   But I digress:  Russia did not expect a commando team next to a beach resort, because:

- look how they left ordnance out in the open?  They assumed they were safe, and

- Russia passed out Russian passports like candy to anyone in Ukrian who wanted one.  Plus,

- Ukraine has killed, what - 40,000 Russians? They probably have loads of Russian IDs to use as fakes, and

- all Ukrainians has to do was disguise like rich Russian beach tourists, and they’d get through checkpoints.

Point is:  if you are Russian, you are not safe anywhere in Ukraine. No where.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Or their commander wants his unit to take the gold in the turret toss event and is trying to get a competitive advantage
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:43:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#44]
View Quote

“Crimea has probably been seen as a secure rear-area.”

Attachment Attached File

S O O N
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
No, not at all. In the eighties I was under the impression that US tanks were garbage and Soviet tanks were unstoppable.

Now I see it differently. Soviet tanks were unstartable, our tanks pretty much did what they were designed to so. Our tanks weren't unstoppable, but they were operable.
View Quote

Haha good point.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By M-1975:

The dude shows up after the fact and takes glamor shots, and people eat it up. The fact that he's always trying to prove something says a lot.
View Quote

Yeah the chest thumping and fragile ego gets a bit tiresome. Might be doing good work, but certainly not selflessly or thoughtfully.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By M-1975:

View Quote

Yeah, I'm tired of his twitter shit. He must be scoring some quality tail over there. Got divorced and sold all his stuff and headed back over.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Capta:

“Crimea has probably been seen as a secure rear-area.”

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390973/Odessaassbandit-2295052.jpg

S O O N
View Quote

OAB is back!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
So seeing videos of Russian equipment....like putting modern covers over their old surplus metal helmets. One I saw yesterday was a Russian tank that had foam blocks in the explosive armor instead of explosives. Is the bulk of Russian equipment in that state? Is that the consensus?

And was there any fallout over the rooskie that was identified after mutilating the Ukrainian soldier?

What you saw was a T-80BVM that was captured in March that had already been stripped of anything useful including the explosive filler in the ERA.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498984538319597573?s=21&t=MWyEhXO_4tGbrnploGw5-Q

https://youtu.be/T_fwZf9vrO0

Yeah, no.  

You’ve made a false claim that the “explosive filler” in the ERA is useful for other purposes.  It is not useful because it’s close to impossible to detonate with anything less than a shaped-charge hit.  Even then, it’s explosive characteristics are specifically tailored to defeat the plasma jet but not harm the underlying armor.

If you have not noticed, it’s usually just left intact on wrecked tanks, because it’s useless.

And no one would strip it, then replace it with rubber (except maybe a corrupt Russian tank factory owner).
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

The Baltics dont have any production capability, Romania is already making 122 and I think 152 shells, and Hungary has probably just been told to sit down and shut up.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2289 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top