Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2288 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:32:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

I don't think that is ammo going off.  Every video I've seen of ammo going boom has tons of shit flying through the air.  There is none of that in those explosions.  Just big booms of exactly the same size and shape.  That screams warheads to me.

View Quote

Yea that makes sense as well. You would think there would be more rockets etc going off instead of just the big explosions.

One thing i am stuck on is that If it was a missile it would have to be moving pretty fast to not catch anything on the film. Even in this crappy himars video you are still catching a glimpse of the warhead at 18 sec. And the video of saki we have is much better.

Attachment Attached File

HIMARS Missile Impact During a Talibunny Hunt In Afghanistan

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:10:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#2]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

Yea that makes sense as well. You would think there would be more rockets etc going off instead of just the big explosions.

One thing i am stuck on is that If it was a missile it would have to be moving pretty fast to not catch anything on the film. Even in this crappy himars video you are still catching a glimpse of the warhead at 18 sec. And the video of saki we have is much better.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133188/800D425D-B001-4891-8046-E0F77AE5E06B_png-2486062.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5drPX9Zeg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't think that is ammo going off.  Every video I've seen of ammo going boom has tons of shit flying through the air.  There is none of that in those explosions.  Just big booms of exactly the same size and shape.  That screams warheads to me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133188/800D425D-B001-4891-8046-E0F77AE5E06B_png-2486062.JPG

"Damn son!"

That was just one Himars rocket.. imagine being on the wrong end of 6 of them. The Himars is an awesome weapon. I have a very good friend who was in the marines and served on the Himars for a looong time! Like close to 10 years. He always told me about the badassness of the Himars but like a dumb ass I just saw it as another multiple rocket launcher and he was just beefing it up to sound badass. He told me it changed how wars will be fought and I'm like yea ok dude..lol.. after seeing the huge difference it has made for Ukraine in this war I'm a true believer in the badassness of the weapon system, and I'm wondering now why it wasn't sent in the very first weapons and munitions delivery at the beginning. Our commanders know damn well what that system could have meant for Ukraine at the beginning. We truly missed a great chance to have ended this along time ago and I wonder why?.  Remember that 20 something mile long convoy heading towards kyiv at the beginning of the war that just sat there for like 4 days?, and rhe whole world wondered why it just sat there and why it wasn't decimated..my friend said scenarios like that convoy are what the himars was made for, very accurate and very deadly artillery that has a long reach under a time sensitive target.  Basically we fucked Ukraine by not having those in country on day one, but I assume it was because we as in Nato just want to bleed Russia dry. And do it slowly.  We could have sent them the tools to end this the first week, but just sent them piece meal tools to drag this on at the cost of Ukrainian blood. But I also see that NATO at the right time will hand over the right equipment to end this war with a big smash.. and it's coming I believe
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

"Damn son!"

That was just one Himars rocket.. imagine being on the wrong end of 6 of them. The Himars is an awesome weapon. I have a very good friend who was in the marines and served on the Himars for a looong time! Like close to 10 years. He always told me about the badassness of the Himars but like a dumb ass I just saw it as another multiple rocket launcher and he was just beefing it up to sound badass. He told me it changed how wars will be fought and I'm like yea ok dude..lol.. after seeing the huge difference it has made for Ukraine in this war I'm a true believer in the badassness of the weapon system, and I'm wondering now why it wasn't sent in the very first weapons and munitions delivery at the beginning. Our commanders know damn well what that system could have meant for Ukraine at the beginning. We truly missed a great chance to have ended this along time ago and I wonder why?.  Remember that 20 something mile long convoy heading towards kyiv at the beginning of the war that just sat there for like 4 days?, and rhe whole world wondered why it just sat there and why it wasn't decimated..my friend said scenarios like that convoy are what the himars was made for, very accurate and very deadly artillery that has a long reach under a time sensitive target.  Basically we fucked Ukraine by not having those in country on day one
View All Quotes

"Damn son!"

That was just one Himars rocket.. imagine being on the wrong end of 6 of them. The Himars is an awesome weapon. I have a very good friend who was in the marines and served on the Himars for a looong time! Like close to 10 years. He always told me about the badassness of the Himars but like a dumb ass I just saw it as another multiple rocket launcher and he was just beefing it up to sound badass. He told me it changed how wars will be fought and I'm like yea ok dude..lol.. after seeing the huge difference it has made for Ukraine in this war I'm a true believer in the badassness of the weapon system, and I'm wondering now why it wasn't sent in the very first weapons and munitions delivery at the beginning. Our commanders know damn well what that system could have meant for Ukraine at the beginning. We truly missed a great chance to have ended this along time ago and I wonder why?.  Remember that 20 something mile long convoy heading towards kyiv at the beginning of the war that just sat there for like 4 days?, and rhe whole world wondered why it just sat there and why it wasn't decimated..my friend said scenarios like that convoy are what the himars was made for, very accurate and very deadly artillery that has a long reach under a time sensitive target.  Basically we fucked Ukraine by not having those in country on day one

Fox 2/14 the reserve battery out of OKC was the first HIMARS unit in the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:19:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#4]
Originally Posted By R0N:

Fox 2/14 the reserve battery out of OKC was the first HIMARS unit in the Marine Corps.
View All Quotes

"Damn son!"

Shit I'll have to ask him what unit he was in.. I know he served in the first gulf War and in 2003 in Iraq and he said they laid waste with the Himars. But I think they used the himars later in the war.  He was a career marine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Capta:
Read and watched some stuff by Dzokhar Dudayev today that's relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cq2nnwH43M

View Quote
That is the most articulate description of Russia & Russians and all that's wrong with them as a people that I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:51:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#6]
Originally Posted By Dbnd:

What you saw was a T-80BVM that was captured in March that had already been stripped of anything useful including the explosive filler in the ERA.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498984538319597573?s=21&t=MWyEhXO_4tGbrnploGw5-Q

https://youtu.be/T_fwZf9vrO0

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dbnd:
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
So seeing videos of Russian equipment....like putting modern covers over their old surplus metal helmets. One I saw yesterday was a Russian tank that had foam blocks in the explosive armor instead of explosives. Is the bulk of Russian equipment in that state? Is that the consensus?

And was there any fallout over the rooskie that was identified after mutilating the Ukrainian soldier?

What you saw was a T-80BVM that was captured in March that had already been stripped of anything useful including the explosive filler in the ERA.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498984538319597573?s=21&t=MWyEhXO_4tGbrnploGw5-Q

https://youtu.be/T_fwZf9vrO0

But that doesn't explain why the explosive filler was refilled in its complete volume by rubber on all the Kontakt-1 ERA on the turret roof.   It also doesn't explain the angled metal piece that is bolted inside and sandwiched with the filler which is supposed to be there, you should not be able to flip through this material like a thick deck of cards either.  The plates are metal encased explosives.   There would be no point to remove that metal piece as manufactured, it's simply missing from the beginning.

The other ERA on the front of the hull does have removed explosive filler, but there must have been a graft going on at the place that made the Kontakt-1

Inside, each brick should look like this:  The gray stuff is the explosive material, the other parts are the metal plates bolted inside.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I was in the Regimental HQ, had a blast. Never saw a himars before
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
The Satan works as good as Russia's electronics.  It's coming out they don't use MIL qualified components

Most everything electronic is purchased from other countries.  Electronics is currently embargoed. Don't expect much from a country with a GDP of Texas

Russia does have a vast amount of natural resources. Instead of improving the Russian people and economy, Putin goes to war
View Quote

THIS!!  

The truly sad part of this is:  the West truly gave Russia a chance.  After 1989, we truly put 40 years of war behind us, and yeah: the Cold War was a real war with Russia.

The sanctions have exposed how we welcomed them into our western international financial systems.  Most of Russia leapt forward after 1989, leaving behind the dysfunctional Russia of the USSR and increasingly looking like Western Europe.

They could have had it all.

But they could not stop Putin.  They welcomed him.  They looked the other way when Putin swept aside the corrupt oligarchs, only to replace them with even more corrupt oligarchs who are all former KGB thugs.

In a way, I am grateful for this war because it has exposed Putin’s true nature to the world.  We cannot stop fighting until Putin’s regime is utterly destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

The three firing batteries were in OKC, Huntsville and El Paso.  Since HIMARS was a high demand item most AT they did seperate from the Regt because there was a need to meet various combatant commanders’ need for HIMAR support from the Marines.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Southern front, a Russian BM-21 is struck with interesting cook offs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/wmkkc1/drone_footage_of_ukrainian_army_artillery_strikes/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
View Quote

Looks like a BM-30
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Looks like a BM-30
View All Quotes

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/wmkkc1/drone_footage_of_ukrainian_army_artillery_strikes/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Looks like a BM-30

I'll take your word over what they posted at Reddit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#13]

I feel sorry for many Russians.  Their country has a lot going for it, both culturally and naturally.  They could’ve had a bright future and a productive and friendly relationship with Europe.  But as a society they couldn’t let go of several hundred years of insecurity dealt with by aggression.  No one was going to invade them.  It’s a 19th century self-serving fantasy.  Now no one trusts them.  They’ve ruined their future and they deserve it for committing genocide in Ukraine.
View Quote

When your history back to antiquity is other folks coming and taking over I think it becomes much harder to overcome.  But they were doing it, Europe had been working with them.  But they went back to full retard again and well, perhaps its time to say.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

What makes you think the UAF isn't holed up in the ruins?
View Quote

Who knows. If I was stuck defending those apt's, I'd take a couple of quick shots at the Russian lead elements then fall back to prepared positions away from the obvious targets/buildings. Rinse and repeat until terrain or equipment favors you.

Unless there was a UA BTG trapped in those buildings (no sign of any equipment etc) then that TOS attack seems like a waste. Like the US calling for a B52 strike for a sniper or some asshole with a PKM. The RU commander probably couldn't convince his troops to mount an assault so they chose the TOS.

Most likely only a few civilians there trying to hide in the basement.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:25:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#16]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Not bad.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Not bad.

I try to find the amusing videos, or ones that show interesting tactics or neat weaponry.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm getting a site error when I go to ISW today, for the first time there is no update from them, which is unusual.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:32:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#18]

Same video I posted before, more context.

This is the last weeks FIRMS data compiled together over 7 days.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
I had a painful realization about a decade ago.  It's completely obvious but it had never occurred to me.

I'm a principal engineer for an overly large technology company.  I'm surrounded day in and out by other engineers and developers.  My peer group is technical and type A for the most part.  While I'm certainly no genius, I deal with complex problems every day and design unique and (hopefully) innovative solutions with my brain and experience.  

I know that many of you do work every day in the trades that require the same sort of thinking and smarts so I know it's not just a technology thing.  My dad who is a car mechanic is literally the smartest "common sense" man that I know - he can figure out pretty much anything if you give him time to get oriented.  This isn't a schooling thing - it's a natural ability to process data and come up with effective solutions.  And we all have self selected a group that's like ourselves to hang out with so we assume *everyone* is like us.

But they aren't . . .

One day I was driving home and I was struck by the utter incomprehensible stupidity of many of the folks in cars around me.  Many of them drive like the cognitive load of operating a motor vehicle and breathing simultaneously is just too much.  They wander all over the road oblivious to everyone else around them like they're lost or something.  Or just step into a Walmart for 10 minutes and you'll be up to your neck in people who probably need Ikea style pictographic instructions to put on their underwear correctly.

I said to myself - " what the f^&k?!?! . . . it's like they're stupid or something".  And it struck me - the average IQ is 100 right?  That means that 50% of Americans fall on the high AND the low side of the curve.  Literally half of the people around you have a sub 100 IQ.  I know it sounds like an obvious thing but I had never really thought about it.

It's just that many people are literally stupid and lack the ability to process incoming data and create intelligent opinions.

That's the only reason that I can come up with to explain people following Alex Jones or QAnon.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Circuits:
People stupid enough to believe this crap will believe anything.  Ergo the painfully bad propaganda.

It doesn't explain how all the Alexi Joneskov & Tucker worshippers seem to believe it, too, though. Cognitive Dissonance.
I had a painful realization about a decade ago.  It's completely obvious but it had never occurred to me.

I'm a principal engineer for an overly large technology company.  I'm surrounded day in and out by other engineers and developers.  My peer group is technical and type A for the most part.  While I'm certainly no genius, I deal with complex problems every day and design unique and (hopefully) innovative solutions with my brain and experience.  

I know that many of you do work every day in the trades that require the same sort of thinking and smarts so I know it's not just a technology thing.  My dad who is a car mechanic is literally the smartest "common sense" man that I know - he can figure out pretty much anything if you give him time to get oriented.  This isn't a schooling thing - it's a natural ability to process data and come up with effective solutions.  And we all have self selected a group that's like ourselves to hang out with so we assume *everyone* is like us.

But they aren't . . .

One day I was driving home and I was struck by the utter incomprehensible stupidity of many of the folks in cars around me.  Many of them drive like the cognitive load of operating a motor vehicle and breathing simultaneously is just too much.  They wander all over the road oblivious to everyone else around them like they're lost or something.  Or just step into a Walmart for 10 minutes and you'll be up to your neck in people who probably need Ikea style pictographic instructions to put on their underwear correctly.

I said to myself - " what the f^&k?!?! . . . it's like they're stupid or something".  And it struck me - the average IQ is 100 right?  That means that 50% of Americans fall on the high AND the low side of the curve.  Literally half of the people around you have a sub 100 IQ.  I know it sounds like an obvious thing but I had never really thought about it.

It's just that many people are literally stupid and lack the ability to process incoming data and create intelligent opinions.

That's the only reason that I can come up with to explain people following Alex Jones or QAnon.

Despite being wrong about Dan Quayle at the end, every now and then George Carlin would hit the truth.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

You are not wrong about the dangerous division in American society; I believe the danger is underestimated.

Consider this survey:

25% of university students believe violence is an acceptable way to shut down controversial speakers

View Quote

Yup. We are laughing at Russia but have our own troubles coming up ahead. Just with much better equipment and tech...The USA will end up either as a leftist totalitarian State or a rightwing totalitarian State. No way to bridge or resolve our divide.

At least the Russians are united in their orc stupidity.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Yup. We are laughing at Russia but have our own troubles coming up ahead. Just with much better equipment and tech...The USA will end up either as a leftist totalitarian State or a rightwing totalitarian State. No way to bridge or resolve our divide.

At least the Russians are united in their orc stupidity.
View Quote

To be fair, they are forced to be united.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:41:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#22]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Despite being wrong about Dan Quayle at the end,
View Quote

Dan Quayle could not even spell potato, Carlin was right on!

Vice President Quayle misspells the word "potato"--chaos ensues.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#23]
On todays "Speak the Truth youtube, he has Russian Media stating the British are working on a plan to blow the Crimean Bridge, The Ruskie thinks his residents should be searched like Trumps and they show pics of a toilet where Trump flushed Documents. These people are better (worse)  than Baghdad Bob.
Ukrainian Official Exposes The Truth

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#24]

It doesn't explain how all the Alexi Joneskov & Tucker worshippers seem to believe it, too, though. Cognitive Dissonance.
View All Quotes
People stupid enough to believe this crap will believe anything.  Ergo the painfully bad propaganda.

They choose to believe it because liberals tend to support Ukraine, and liberals are bad, so Ukraine must be bad too. It’s hilarious and pathetic to see them REEEE at Zelenskyy for doing things they were begging Trump to do to the Democrats.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Evil_Chaos:
On todays "Speak the Truth youtube, he has Russian Media stating the British are working on a plan to blow the Crimean Bridge, The Ruskie thinks his residents should be searched like Trumps and they show pics of a toilet where Trump flushed Documents. These people are better (worse)  than Baghdad Bob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aC9kERidsI
View Quote

It was really hard to go though my Twitter feeds last night.  People that otherwise up to this point had reliable info on Ukraine were suddenly jumping to wild conclusions about Trump without any facts to back up the claims and spiraling.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Russia stronk? "We keep shooting even after we blow up"...
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

They are like tv preachers that depend on suckers to make a living.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

They are like tv preachers that depend on suckers to make a living.

Jones is literally a snake oil salesman, Infowars is a grift to separate suckers from thier money. Cucker is a Edgelord for views. They, and people like them, are always going to have a audience until the libs start to actually thinking about how their actions are contributing to the problem. It’ll never happen, of course, as that would require them to develop empathy, which they utterly lack.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LurkerII:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYNGCNtDb-w
View All Quotes

Yes, I know. I said what I said.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Russia still doesnt understand that the rest of the world is smarter than there "smartest" propagandist's... lol everytime they put out some fake incident or "proof" of something It doesnt take but a few hours for it to be totally debunked...i love it... it must really piss them off when it happens every time..
View All Quotes
Regarding the HARM that supposedly struck a house today.

Russia still doesnt understand that the rest of the world is smarter than there "smartest" propagandist's... lol everytime they put out some fake incident or "proof" of something It doesnt take but a few hours for it to be totally debunked...i love it... it must really piss them off when it happens every time..

Sadly, I don't think much of RU cares if their propaganda is disproved. In their reality, it's true and they don't care what anyone else thinks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

I can feel this picture.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#31]

"Damn son!"

That was just one Himars rocket.. imagine being on the wrong end of 6 of them. The Himars is an awesome weapon. I have a very good friend who was in the marines and served on the Himars for a looong time! Like close to 10 years. He always told me about the badassness of the Himars but like a dumb ass I just saw it as another multiple rocket launcher and he was just beefing it up to sound badass. He told me it changed how wars will be fought and I'm like yea ok dude..lol.. after seeing the huge difference it has made for Ukraine in this war I'm a true believer in the badassness of the weapon system, and I'm wondering now why it wasn't sent in the very first weapons and munitions delivery at the beginning. Our commanders know damn well what that system could have meant for Ukraine at the beginning. We truly missed a great chance to have ended this along time ago and I wonder why?.  Remember that 20 something mile long convoy heading towards kyiv at the beginning of the war that just sat there for like 4 days?, and rhe whole world wondered why it just sat there and why it wasn't decimated..my friend said scenarios like that convoy are what the himars was made for, very accurate and very deadly artillery that has a long reach under a time sensitive target.  Basically we fucked Ukraine by not having those in country on day one, but I assume it was because we as in Nato just want to bleed Russia dry. And do it slowly.  We could have sent them the tools to end this the first week, but just sent them piece meal tools to drag this on at the cost of Ukrainian blood. But I also see that NATO at the right time will hand over the right equipment to end this war with a big smash.. and it's coming I believe
View All Quotes

"Damn son!"

I don't think many in the West thought it would last a week so there was no sense sending equipment/munitions for the Russians to capture. Once RU's panties started showing, then the West started getting serious about sending the good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Illegible_Signature:

I don't think many in the West thought it would last a week so there was no sense sending equipment/munitions for the Russians to capture. Once RU's panties started showing, then the West started getting serious about sending the good stuff.
View Quote

I think it took more time as well to get the Himars, ammo and other logistical stuff into the battle, and train the Ukraine Army.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:37:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#33]

View Quote

Although I couldn't stand the Bush 1 administration for banning imported "assualt weapons" in 1989 as well as Quayle standing by Bush with his mouth shut whenever Bush spoke about AW bans, Quayle was not a stupid person in my opinion.  In 1986 and 1987, I spent a lot of time researching nuclear forces stats/info of the USA and Russia and my work ended up making international news via my congressman regarding the INF Treaty. Anyway, I read a lot of senate hearing transcripts and a lot of what Dan Quayle stated regarding nuclear weapons security- he's not dumb, not even a little.

I'm not an expert of the history of spelling, but around 1992, I was talking to a retired engineer who was in his late 70s and the Dan Quayle spelling incident came up. He told me that when he was young, potato was sometimes spelled "pototoe". I dont know if that is true, but the guy was a high level engineer/geologist in his career.
@Ryan_Ruck
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Looks like a BM-30
View All Quotes

Looks like a BM-30

Looks like they had their reloads stacked up near the launcher.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

Although I couldn't stand the Bush 1 administration for banning imported "assualt weapons" in 1989 as well as Quayle standing by Bush with his mouth shut whenever Bush spoke about AW bans, Quayle was not a stupid person in my opinion.  In 1986 and 1987, I spent a lot of time researching nuclear forces stats/info of the USA and Russia and my work ended up making international news via my congressman regarding the INF Treaty. Anyway, I read a lot of senate hearing transcripts and a lot of what Dan Quayle stated regarding nuclear weapons security- he's not dumb, not even a little.

I'm not an expert of the history of spelling, but around 1992, I was talking to a retired engineer who was in his late 70s and the Dan Quayle spelling incident came up. He told me that when he was young, potato was sometimes spelled "pototoe". I dont know if that is true, but the guy was a high level engineer/geologist in his career.
@Ryan_Ruck
View All Quotes

@Ryan_Ruck

Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Ukrainian MT-LB seen with a SERDAR Remote Weapons Station

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Ukrainian service dogs receive new equipment

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#38]

@Ryan_Ruck
View Quote

I had found this before on Quora:

The spelling "potatoe" was widely used in the 19th Century, but by the early 20th Century the spelling without the final 'e' had become widely accepted as the correct version for the singular of the word (the plural is "potatoes"). In 1992, then-Vice President Dan Quayle read from a spelling bee answer card that erroneously gave the spelling as "potatoe". Quayle later said that he thought it was wrong at the time but read off the version that was written on the card given to him by an English teacher at the school. Being a Republican candidate in a national election campaign, he was mercilessly ridiculed by the media for the mistake. None of the children in the spelling bee had ever seen any spelling besides "potato."

Ironically, the alternate spelling "potatoe," while uncommon, was still used infrequently at that time. For example, the New York Times was still occasionally spelling potato with an -e as late as 1988. Spellings of "potatoe" can be found in the media all the way up to 15 June 1992, the date of the Quayle incident, at which point they suddenly stopped except when used in an ironic way

Now, back to burning BMPs for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#39]

I'm glad they got good equipment, but the kid in me can't help but see the fully kitted out dogs look like the robo dog in the 1970's Battlestar Galactica show.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm pretty sure the air base was not a sof operation. If it was, they (UA) would never admit that because it would put the soldiers at risk. The fact that UA throwed it out there, only makes sense, if it was a rocket/misslle salvo's.
I wonder if LM sent some of their JASSAM since it looks like UA is getting a few airsraft. I don't know how much it has changed in the last decade but it was pretty nice. Supposedly could be programmed with sat pics and could compare that to the onboard camera/sensors to determine its flight path. Very accurate back then (2005). No telling what its capabilities are now. I was told back then, it had a cluster munitions model that was exported to the Israelis.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Russia has made so many nuclear threats that its impossible to count them at this point.

I recall two statements by the US.  This one, and another that said “credible nuclear deterrent is in place.”  You can bet that the latest statement was in response to things we know are being discussed/planned by Russia in response to the Crimean airbase attack.

I believe we’re serious and aren’t going to let Russia get away with nuclear blackmail, let alone nuclear use.  Someone in Russia had better do what’s necessary, fast.
View All Quotes

Russia has made so many nuclear threats that its impossible to count them at this point.

I recall two statements by the US.  This one, and another that said “credible nuclear deterrent is in place.”  You can bet that the latest statement was in response to things we know are being discussed/planned by Russia in response to the Crimean airbase attack.

I believe we’re serious and aren’t going to let Russia get away with nuclear blackmail, let alone nuclear use.  Someone in Russia had better do what’s necessary, fast.

Finland’s defense minister also explicitly stated, “We are now fully prepared for war with Russia.”

The statement was issued several months ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#43]
UA forces learning about the joys of MRAPs

also...

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Haub:
UA forces learning about the joys of MRAPs

also...

View Quote

Maksim:"Dammit, i told you guys to not let Grigoriy pull guard duty"
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#45]
First person view of Russian soldiers in a firefight, the guy in front of the man filming gets shot, and they evacuate, can see the medical treatment in the field. 9 minutes long, guy filming has a Dragonov rifle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/wmp1il/first_person_pov_of_russian_soldiers_in_combat/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#46]
ISW assessment came in for August 11th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-11

Russia’s 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade (64th SGMRB) of the 35th Combined Arms Army (CAA) has likely been destroyed in combat, possibly as part of an intentional Kremlin effort to conceal the war crimes it committed in Kyiv Oblast. Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty (RFEFL) investigative journalist Mark Krutov conducted an investigation into the brigade following its participation in atrocities in Bucha and concluded that after heavy fighting on the Izyum and Slovyansk axes, the brigade has largely ceased to exist.[6] Krutov stated that out of 1,500 soldiers who were in the brigade before the war, 200 to 300 were likely killed.[7] Krutov quoted CNA Russia Studies director Michael Kofman’s estimates that the typical ratio for those killed to those wounded in action is around 1 to 3.5, which would mean that the 64th SGMRB suffered up to 700 to 1,000 wounded in action. It is typical for Russian units that are so severely degraded during combat to be disbanded and survivors reallocated into other combat elements, but Krutov noted that Russian President Vladimir Putin cannot disband the 64th SGMRB without embarrassment. Putin had awarded the brigade the honorary “guards” designation on April 18, following the emergence of evidence that it had committed war crimes in Bucha.[9] The brigade was rushed back into combat in eastern Ukraine after it had completed its withdrawal from around Kyiv without much time to rest, refit, receive replacements, or recover. Speculation at the time ran that the Kremlin was eager to have the brigade destroyed in combat to avoid revelation of its war crimes.[10]  
View Quote

Ukrainian military officials confirmed additional Ukrainian strikes against Russian command posts and ammunition depots in Southern Ukraine. The Ukrainian Southern Operational Command reported hitting the command post of the Russian 126th Guards Coastal Defense Brigade in Novokamyanka and an ammunition depot in Barvinok, 62km east and 20km northwest of Kherson City, respectively.[33] Ukrainian forces also reportedly damaged a command and observation post of a battalion tactical group of the 76th Airborne Assault Division in Ischenka (just east of the Ukrainian bridgehead over Inhulets River) and destroyed a command post of the 49th Combined Arms Army (CAA) near Chervonyi Mayak (about 30km northeast of Nova Kakhovka).[34] ISW has previously reported that Ukrainian forces reportedly struck a command post of the 49th CAA in Chornobaivka (about 5km northwest of Kherson City) on August 6, which could suggest that Russian forces either split or moved their command posts from Kherson City.[35] Both strikes suggest that Russian forces are maintaining or relocating their positions within the range of US-provided HIMARS systems. Ukrainian forces inflicted significant losses on Russian officers and senior personnel in Kyiv, Chernihiv, and Sumy Oblasts situated in command posts near the frontline even before receiving HIMARS systems in part because Russian commanders moved close to the front lines to control their troops. Russian forces are apparently continuing to endanger their command posts, likely to be ready to control their forces in anticipation of a possible Ukrainian counteroffensive. It is unclear when or if Ukrainian forces will launch a large-scale ground counteroffensive in southern Ukraine, but they are effectively using Russian preparations for such a counteroffensive to attrit Russian leadership and logistics capabilities.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Quayle simply failed to recognize that while "potatoes" is the correct plural, the correct singular, at least in modern usage, is "potato" and not "potatoe". No worse than the average arfer's misuse of the possessive plural, your/you're, etc. Some of arfers' attempts to spell phonetically words which they may use in conversation but don't often see written down are far worse.

The left just tries to make a mountain out of any misstep by a conservative, as they were wont to do, even that long ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Look in the commanders hatch top right of tank, I think there is a guy in there, unfortunately the front left of the tank seems to be using land mines in place of ERA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/wmp9vp/ukrainian_drone_destroying_a_russian_tank_with_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#50]

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-11

View All Quotes

Russia’s 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade (64th SGMRB) of the 35th Combined Arms Army (CAA) has likely been destroyed in combat, possibly as part of an intentional Kremlin effort to conceal the war crimes it committed in Kyiv Oblast. Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty (RFEFL) investigative journalist Mark Krutov conducted an investigation into the brigade following its participation in atrocities in Bucha and concluded that after heavy fighting on the Izyum and Slovyansk axes, the brigade has largely ceased to exist.[6] Krutov stated that out of 1,500 soldiers who were in the brigade before the war, 200 to 300 were likely killed.[7] Krutov quoted CNA Russia Studies director Michael Kofman’s estimates that the typical ratio for those killed to those wounded in action is around 1 to 3.5, which would mean that the 64th SGMRB suffered up to 700 to 1,000 wounded in action. It is typical for Russian units that are so severely degraded during combat to be disbanded and survivors reallocated into other combat elements, but Krutov noted that Russian President Vladimir Putin cannot disband the 64th SGMRB without embarrassment. Putin had awarded the brigade the honorary “guards” designation on April 18, following the emergence of evidence that it had committed war crimes in Bucha.[9] The brigade was rushed back into combat in eastern Ukraine after it had completed its withdrawal from around Kyiv without much time to rest, refit, receive replacements, or recover. Speculation at the time ran that the Kremlin was eager to have the brigade destroyed in combat to avoid revelation of its war crimes.[10]  

Ukrainian military officials confirmed additional Ukrainian strikes against Russian command posts and ammunition depots in Southern Ukraine. The Ukrainian Southern Operational Command reported hitting the command post of the Russian 126th Guards Coastal Defense Brigade in Novokamyanka and an ammunition depot in Barvinok, 62km east and 20km northwest of Kherson City, respectively.[33] Ukrainian forces also reportedly damaged a command and observation post of a battalion tactical group of the 76th Airborne Assault Division in Ischenka (just east of the Ukrainian bridgehead over Inhulets River) and destroyed a command post of the 49th Combined Arms Army (CAA) near Chervonyi Mayak (about 30km northeast of Nova Kakhovka).[34] ISW has previously reported that Ukrainian forces reportedly struck a command post of the 49th CAA in Chornobaivka (about 5km northwest of Kherson City) on August 6, which could suggest that Russian forces either split or moved their command posts from Kherson City.[35] Both strikes suggest that Russian forces are maintaining or relocating their positions within the range of US-provided HIMARS systems. Ukrainian forces inflicted significant losses on Russian officers and senior personnel in Kyiv, Chernihiv, and Sumy Oblasts situated in command posts near the frontline even before receiving HIMARS systems in part because Russian commanders moved close to the front lines to control their troops. Russian forces are apparently continuing to endanger their command posts, likely to be ready to control their forces in anticipation of a possible Ukrainian counteroffensive. It is unclear when or if Ukrainian forces will launch a large-scale ground counteroffensive in southern Ukraine, but they are effectively using Russian preparations for such a counteroffensive to attrit Russian leadership and logistics capabilities.

Damn.  That’s sone cold, calculating shit from the Kremlin.

No sympathies though for the Russians.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2288 of 5591)
Top Top