Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2599 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By theskuh:

How survivable would these be? Or would they just operate them over uncontested airspace?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

How survivable would these be? Or would they just operate them over uncontested airspace?

The key to these bigger systems with much better optics and radar is that yes, you can keep them hundreds of miles behind the front lines, with say an S-300 and other air defense systems underneath it while it detects for the the user all the enemy units from over 30,000 feet up and can zoom in with thermal imaging systems to make positive ID on targets and threats.  It can also stay up for over a day, continuously monitoring the front line.

It can laser designate targets and guide precision weapons, laser and GPS.  It would be very useful.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

What did it say?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rgkeller:
According to this NYT report from the front line, things are not so rosy in the battles around Kherson as many here have assumed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/24/world/europe/ukraine-south-kherson-russia.html

What did it say?

Link worked for me.

Lots of hard-fought, gritty fighting that is artillery-centric versus direct stand-up fighting. Russians are heavily dug in and have more of their better forces compared to the eastern front. UA forces need more ammo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

No way.. the Grey eagle is years ahead of the predator.  With automatic take off and landing
View Quote
I get that. Are Grey eagles out of use and sitting in a desert though?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Translation:   everyone saw HIMARS and wants to buy them.   Let us get in on some of that action.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]

I agree, but the fact that the manufacturer is asking for their units to go is a big indicator that they want to showcase how their systems work.  You can't get better sales videos than the ones that are used against actual fielded forces on a battlefield.  Everyone in the defense industries of NATO and the US is chomping at the bit.  The only limitation is each countries respective governments holding up what we want to send over there.
View Quote
Both can be used
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:22:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#7]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

How can a grey eagle outperform a himars?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:

How can a grey eagle outperform a himars?

It can help HIMARS strike targets, as well as everyone else, including Bayraktar drones.  The only limiting factor is that I don't know if they would allow the same sensors on it that we use.  They might have to be swapped out with Export versions of the Electro Optical and other systems.

But I'm surprised the manufacturer is all on board with sending them over.

Not exactly the same sensor system, but would be similar.

L3 WESCAM's MX™-20 Product Video

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#8]

What did it say?
View All Quotes
According to this NYT report from the front line, things are not so rosy in the battles around Kherson as many here have assumed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/24/world/europe/ukraine-south-kherson-russia.html

What did it say?

I can't read it either, but I have never heard of a 'Rosy" siege/envelopment.  They sort of suck for everyone involved, as the trapped enemy has no choice but to fight, and the lines become increasingly dense.  It's a good time to be artillery and "embrace the suck" times for Infantry and maneuver forces on both sides.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

No way.. the Grey eagle is years ahead of the predator.  With automatic take off and landing

They are considered at the end of their life, getting obsolete.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

Translation:   everyone saw HIMARS and wants to buy them.   Let us get in on some of that action.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

Bingo!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:24:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#11]
Originally Posted By Capta:

I think the answer to this question from the west’s perspective is “what is next?”
Let’s say Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine.  IMO, most likely it will be multiple, possibly including population centers.  A “demonstration” nuke will almost certainly not produce any results against the Ukrainian will to fight, so why bother?  No, they will try to blow holes in the Ukrainian army, and destroy the infrastructure (including cities) necessary to bring in western supplies.  I’ve said before that we already had indications that the Ukrainian army is in a nuclear defensive posture - i.e. dispersed as much as possible.  So this won’t be a case of dropping a nuke on a brigade or two and being done with it.  It would probably take a dozen tactical nukes to have the desired effect on a sector of the line.
Point is, having demonstrated the will to win at any cost in Ukraine - what next for Russia?  Can there be any doubt whatsoever in the West that Putin will do the same against the Baltics?  Poland?  Finland?  If Russia goes nuclear it is IMMEDIATELY an existential issue for Europe.  Not a new cold war.  Not a “lets see how this plays out.”
The question that should be asked is not “how will the west respond” but “will the west give Russia that chance?”
View Quote

Russia's conscript force wont accomplish anything.

Russia has three paths to victory or peace without total embarrassment.
1. Some sort of economic black mail...which I do not think will work.
2. Exhaustion. Throw bodies at the problem until the West gets tired. I do not think that will work.
3. Nuclear blackmail. This might work.

Before they go all in on a nuke, I think they would probably test the brinkmanship waters of NBC.  I would anticipate a mass assault of tanks and infantry, somewhere, supported by a very large surprise nonpersistent chemical attack.  Some sort of mass use of gas like the Chlorine attack at Ypres, 1915.  Tactically, will it work? I dunno.  Its the red line test of this administration.  That would drive what comes next.

Unless Putin gets whacked, you'll see, 1,2,3.

I dont think the next big thing will be Nuke or Bio, and persistent agent isnt really useful in an attack.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Is he fucking insane?? Is this verified?
View Quote

Yup.

Putin signed a law on punishment for voluntary surrender
https://ria.ru/20220924/zakon-1819175164.html

MOSCOW, Sep 24 - RIA Novosti. Russian President Vladimir Putin signed law on amendments to the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, providing for punishment in the form of deprivation of liberty for up to 10 years for "voluntary surrender", provided that there are no signs of the crime provided for in the article "Treason".
The corresponding document is published on the official Internet portal of legal information.
The lower limit of the sentence will be three years in prison. The article "Voluntary surrender" was not previously in the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]

What did it say?
View Quote
NYT says progress for Ukranians is slow and with heavy casualties. UAF commanders says Russian artillery is effective and UAF artillery not doing much. Also said Putin has told Kherson defenders they cannot retreat.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Do t let them out.!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DOW:

Those guys look disturbingly well equipped.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DOW:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

Those guys look disturbingly well equipped.

It’s a small group of organized crime boss’ enforcers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Time to begin sanction efforts against Orban and Hungary. Seems they have an obvious favorite in the conflict.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Yup.

MOSCOW, Sep 24 - RIA Novosti. Russian President Vladimir Putin signed law on amendments to the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, providing for punishment in the form of deprivation of liberty for up to 10 years for "voluntary surrender", provided that there are no signs of the crime provided for in the article "Treason".
The corresponding document is published on the official Internet portal of legal information.
The lower limit of the sentence will be three years in prison. The article "Voluntary surrender" was not previously in the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.
View Quote

Wow, he's being very kind and gentle.

Pretty much all the Russians that surrendered in WWII were sent back to RUS in 1945, Stalin had them sent to the gulag or shot.  Mostly shot.

Becoming a citizen of the US or France or whatever was not an option.  After the war, Rus hold you accountable.

In Byelorussia in particular, some of the partisans were doing a "Live and let live" shtick in the German rear area in the forests, many of those guys were bypassed Red Army from 1941.  As the Red Army rolled West in 1944, Stalin parachuted NKVD in to basically say get off your ass and get to work and your time card will be getting checked after the war.  The Partisans, by and large, were more worried about what Stain would do after the war to them then Hitler during the war.

It takes a brave man to be a coward in the Red Army.

If the Ukrainians were smart they should run an IO message that  POWS will not be repatriated if they dont want to be. Thats gonna be a touchy subject.  Im not sure who wants Russian immigrants.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#18]

They are considered at the end of their life, getting obsolete.
View Quote
Well then add that to the list.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#19]

What did it say?
View All Quotes

What did it say?

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Update from Ukraine: It's a Win! Big Trap for Ruzzian Army! (9/24/22)

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By kncook:

Time to begin sanction efforts against Orban and Hungary. Seems they have an obvious favorite in the conflict.
View All Quotes

Double-edged sword.  At this point, I would rather he kept the borders open, as this is a vector for potential Russian manpower to escape mobilization.  I am not sure that allowing Russian tourists helps the Russian war effort, and sanctions would likely adversely impact the 100,000 or so Ukrainian refugees HU is currently hosting.  Besides, at some point, UKR and NATO will likely need Hungarian assistance in eliminating the Transnistria issue.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sq40:
BBC reports that the Referendum Polls are between 80-90% for annexation to Russia.

View Quote

Why are they even following it or giving it any coverage?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:44:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#23]

View All Quotes

I agree that Orban needs his hands slapped for how he handled this all year. But, by taking in Russians escaping the draft, that is hurting Putin.

The 4D chess move, which may not be here, is that some Russians "escaping" to European countries could be saboteurs to cause mayhem if the conflict expands to other parts of Europe (although Hungary wouldn't be a target of Kremlin terrorism). Finland is finally restricting Russians from entering - I have no idea why it took them this long.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CS223] [#24]

What did it say?
View Quote
If you are using an Apple product you can tap on the AA in the url bar and select reader mode from the drop-down and it will remove the paywall.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Reddit seems to think that they're far more useful in COIN environment than a conventional one with lots of air defense systems.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Yuri Kotenok, Russian journalist.

A difficult situation is in the north of the DPR (the junction of the borders with the Kharkov region and the LPR). The enemy is pushing forward more and more fiercely, trying to push Liman.

https://t.me/voenkorKotenok/40779
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#27]

The key to these bigger systems with much better optics and radar is that yes, you can keep them hundreds of miles behind the front lines, with say an S-300 and other air defense systems underneath it while it detects for the the user all the enemy units from over 30,000 feet up and can zoom in with thermal imaging systems to make positive ID on targets and threats.  It can also stay up for over a day, continuously monitoring the front line.

It can laser designate targets and guide precision weapons, laser and GPS.  It would be very useful.
View Quote

The Grey Eagle can do none of those things from hundreds of miles behind the front lines.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
BBC reports that the Referendum Polls are between 80-90% for annexation to Russia.

It was part of a report on how it’s a sham.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

For you arty-types: How far do you disperse individual guns so they're not (as) susceptible to counter-battery fire?
View All Quotes

For you arty-types: How far do you disperse individual guns so they're not (as) susceptible to counter-battery fire?

Depends on the type/capabilities of their communications, Target Acquisition system and Fire Direction Control.  With automated/digital fire control systems and solid comms, you can disperse artillery in all sorts of interesting patterns.  To an artilleryman who grew up in the old manual/analog systems, modern artillery emplacement schemes can look downright chaotic compared to the old "two sections", "line abreast" and "lazy W"-type standard formations that were common until the end of the Cold War.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I've definitely been seeing an uptick in Russian aircraft getting shot down over the last few days. Could this have something to do with the Russians getting more aggressive with their usage of aircraft in combination with the arrival of things like the Gepards?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

They just nuked a non-nuclear somebody. Bullies think differently when someone can hit back.

But honestly, it may not even require a reaction. Global outrage would cut off Russia in a heartbeat. It’s moving that way anyway. Their own territories would likely start seceding - what’s Moscow going to do, nuke Vladivostock?  The Russian far east would split off rapidly, for a start, I bet.

Using a nuke would end Russia as it now as a political entity.
View Quote

That's a really important point that I wasn't thinking of at all. I guess I just kind of missed it. Firing a nuke at nato would not go the same as firing a nuke at Ukraine. It's a great point.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Interesting article linked in tweet.

Click, read, and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Some of these fucking krauts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

It needs to be reported as the russian occupiers voting for this.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Click, read, and enjoy.
View Quote

Putin has a few fringe govts like Hungary on board and also has major elements in Italy and Germany that will side with him.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Here's a link to an archived version: https://archive.ph/Yl6WG#selection-905.0-905.237

It's ugly.
View All Quotes

Can't get past paywall

Here's a link to an archived version: https://archive.ph/Yl6WG#selection-905.0-905.237

It's ugly.

Perfect adjective for it. Ugly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

If the Ukrainians were smart they should run an IO message that  POWS will not be repatriated if they dont want to be.
View Quote

Agreed. In the bottom right corner of the surrender instruction card being distributed by UA among Russian servicemen it says that after the war POWs will be released and repatriated. The repatriation part looks like a dealbreaker.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By triode:

I am sure the Mosin Nagant rifles are being issued to some.  

Russia might need to do a buy back though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41727/6D56C5D1-EE6E-4B0C-A7D1-A22C3B9E00EE_jpe-2537301.JPG

This was from twitter today.

Reenactment from a couple years ago ...doesn't change the fact that some breakaway regions are in fact issuing 91/30s tho.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#44]

It's ugly.
View All Quotes

Can't get past paywall

It's ugly.

Thanks for that.

That’s a really tough fight.  With the Russian artillery active, and them having their backs against the river they can’t cross, it’s a real deal siege and assault with peer parity.  It seems that they will be stalemated through winter.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Pretty much all the Russians that surrendered in WWII were sent back to RUS in 1945, Stalin had them sent to the gulag or shot.  Mostly shot.

Becoming a citizen of the US or France or whatever was not an option.  After the war, Rus hold you accountable.

In Byelorussia in particular, some of the partisans were doing a "Live and let live" shtick in the German rear area in the forests, many of those guys were bypassed Red Army from 1941.  As the Red Army rolled West in 1944, Stalin parachuted NKVD in to basically say get off your ass and get to work and your time card will be getting checked after the war.  The Partisans, by and large, were more worried about what Stain would do after the war to them then Hitler during the war.

If the Ukrainians were smart they should run an IO message that  POWS will not be repatriated if they dont want to be. Thats gonna be a touchy subject.  Im not sure who wants Russian immigrants.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:

Yup.

They are actually doing that though I'm not sure how much
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Some of these fucking krauts.
View Quote

It's like the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact version 2.0

Take that fucker and Gerhard Schroeder and drop them into the north sea.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Link worked for me.

Lots of hard-fought, gritty fighting that is artillery-centric versus direct stand-up fighting. Russians are heavily dug in and have more of their better forces compared to the eastern front. UA forces need more ammo.
View Quote

Ok, well the goal is not a stand up fight in Kherson, the goal is to cut off the supplies and starve them out. It makes no sense to fight their better forces that are dug in. It makes sense to keep cutting their supply lines in the rear. At least that makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Ok, well the goal is not a stand up fight in Kherson, the goal is to cut off the supplies and starve them out. It makes no sense to fight their better forces that are dug in. It makes sense to keep cutting their supply lines in the rear. At least that makes sense to me.
View Quote

That’s in the article too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#49]
NYT says progress for Ukranians is slow and with heavy casualties. UAF commanders says Russian artillery is effective and UAF artillery not doing much. Also said Putin has told Kherson defenders they cannot retreat.
View Quote

Well this is in keeping with this new 10 years in prison for surrender too.  So no retreat, no surrender, you just have to die for the motherland. Got it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Click, read, and enjoy.
View Quote

This is along the lines of what we’ve talked about the last few days, A) that they could and would mobilize, and B) the numbers are such that it’s only a delaying tactic for now and not at all designed to be decisive. Whatever planned endgame now exists involves some kind of hybrid war and political strategy. The troops are just to stalemate the battlefield.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2599 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top