Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2807 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Spooky
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

The Economist | The war in Ukraine has battered the reputation of Russian spies
Article below:
Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Great read.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:19:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#4]

Article below:
Click To View Spoiler

View Quote
About a year ago some journalists realized that the GRU had been lazy and issued sequentially numbered passports to several dozen spies, so they started investigating people in the number range resulting in a series of articles unmasking several of them.  For instance, there was a "Peruvian" woman living in Italy and banging NATO officers who moved to Russia in a hurry after the articles began appearing.  Using image search they found she then used the same social media profile pic under her real name in Russia, so the journalists bought Moscow telephone records on the black market and found calls between her and officers in the GRU illegals program.  Pretty humiliating for the GRU, and not too impressive of NATO counterintelligence either, if you think about it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Russian-spy-uncovered-when-GRU-used-consecutive-passport-numbers-reused-social-media-profile-pic/5-2580376/
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By OBird:

It appears his “evidence” is the fact that the guardrail is sagging…right where the big fire was.

That’s from getting weakened by the large fire, not a “downward blast”. Even the rails / train wheels were deformed by that heat; you can bet a simple guardrail will too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Any takers on this bet?

It appears his “evidence” is the fact that the guardrail is sagging…right where the big fire was.

That’s from getting weakened by the large fire, not a “downward blast”. Even the rails / train wheels were deformed by that heat; you can bet a simple guardrail will too.

you are correct.

I sat down with one of my guys that also handles fire investigations.  We looked at all the media we could find on this and couldn't come up with much conclusive other than to say that the blast appeared to occur above the deck and was substantial in size.  It took a lot to light those train cars off, they were on the order of 100 feet away from the NW bound lane and appeared to be carrying a fairly heavy fuel.  The current photo and video evidence just isn't clear enough to make many other conclusive observations.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:34:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#6]
Russian screwup?  Ukrainian flak trap?  The new NATO SAMs?

The Times

Four Russian attack helicopters were shot down by Ukrainian forces in 18 minutes yesterday, officials in Kyiv said.

The country's general staff said the helicopters were attacked by missile units in southern Ukraine. They were all thought to be two-seat Ka-52s. It is unclear whether the crews ejected before they were shot down between 8.40am and 8.58am local time.

The helicopters were providing support for Russian troops. The general staff was seeking confirmation that another two Russian helicopters had been shot down about the same time. Ukraine says it has destroyed 234 Russian helicopters and 268 aircraft since the war began in February.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
About a year ago some journalists realized that the GRU had been lazy and issued sequentially numbered passports to several dozen spies, so they started investigating people in the number range resulting in a series of articles unmasking several of them.  For instance, there was a "Peruvian" woman living in Italy and banging NATO officers who moved to Russia in a hurry after the articles began appearing.  Using image search they found she then used the same social media profile pic under her real name in Russia, so the journalists bought Moscow telephone records on the black market and found calls between her and officers in the GRU illegals program.  Pretty humiliating for the GRU, and not too impressive of NATO counterintelligence either, if you think about it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Russian-spy-uncovered-when-GRU-used-consecutive-passport-numbers-reused-social-media-profile-pic/5-2580376/
View Quote

RceHeBo is still capable of putting sleepers out there, though. What's worse than that
is how State here in CONUS handles it. Lots of corruption at the top
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

33 UAVs wonder if they are having luck knocking those shaheds down,
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

33 UAVs wonder if they are having luck knocking those shaheds down,

They certainly are, the 6 helicopters are more than they thought they got yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]

I know i am being unreasonable, and they are far from the most important hardware, but i get a little sad on single digit tank days.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Article below:
Click To View Spoiler

Don't be too sure that NATO CI didn't know. Identified threats are sometimes left in place for various reasons to include identifying control elements etc.. Arrests, detentions, expulsions are very often after those efforts have been exhausted.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#11]

I know, right?!
View All Quotes

Any takers on this bet?

I know, right?!

lol, I don't think it was a ballistic missile.  One reason is even if it was the Ukrainian Hrim, I would think the main strike would be on the Railroad section, not centered on the road section even if it was an airburst.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Was he speaking to Russian conscripts, or GD?
View All Quotes

Was he speaking to Russian conscripts, or GD?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By anothermisanthrope:
Motorcycle racing stickers (Valentino Rossi) on a Ukrainian drone

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486333/QVWMnCJChI0itLANwtZtP3HWeNNOuDTYmo6R-SBo-2561292.JPG
View Quote

I have a feeling this is part of Ukraines army of drones campaign, where you could ship your drones to them for use on the battlefield.  God only knows some of the stuff that might have been sent to them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Mines in plain sight being useful again - that recon team got ambushed when they slowed or stopped for visible mines in the road.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I think they watched too much Top Gear...

Top Gear Special - NAVY ASSAULT!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll have to wait for Dimitri's translation, but wow.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Finally Ivan Conscriptovich wised up!

Shoot your commanders and go home.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Everybody agrees that the Bakhmut offensive is stupid in general, but the Russians have to be facing a supply crisis of some degree after the Kerch Bridge explosion (and the attempt to deploy a couple hundred thousand hardly equipped mobilized men).  This renewed attack reminds me of the artillery shell crunch after HIMARS started working over their ammo dumps, last thing the Russians did before their artillery fire fell by ~75% (or whatever) and their general offensive ground to a halt was to use up much of what they had left to pointlessly level some village in a show of strength, a bluff.  Within a week the Ukrainians were talking about Russian artillery fire falling to roughly parity and not long after that the Ukrainians went on the offensive.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Base upon the photos here showing the second bridge deformed downward it had to be an airburts or VBIED.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Bodies got to be littering that area by now big time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

The fire was on the rail bridge not the automobile bridge shown in these photos.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll have to wait for Dimitri's translation, but wow.

View Quote

Down, down, down in Goblintown.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Notice the man running on fire.

View Quote

Wow... he really hot footed it out of there!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Prayers for the family he left

This occurred yesterday, but bares repeating
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Shit like that is damn near a permission slip for Putin.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:

Shit like that is damn near a permission slip for Putin.
Showing your cards, there's no point
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By darkd0r:

Your terms are acceptable.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By darkd0r:

Your terms are acceptable.  

Yeah...he says that like it's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Apparently sone GD posters are upset the Russian invaders are being called “orcs”.  This is a very dehumanizing term, and very mean to the poor Russians.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Macron still pushing rope thinking her screams are sexual when it's really because his watch is caught in her hair.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

I would also add that it's not just the internal damage they're responsible for.

They're largely responsible for the anti-West Islamist movement we've been dealing with for 40+ years and spent the last 20 conducting warfare directly against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DoVTbup548
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:
Originally Posted By ludder093:
Originally Posted By NY12ga:

I don't like agreeing with Liberals any more than most of you but I'm smart enough to know when they're right. It's embarrassing how Conservatives have fallen for Russian propaganda or just automatically go against whatever liberals are for.

Yes, but remember- Stephen King wants MAGA Republicans, gun owners, and southern border "complainers" to leave the US as well.  

His message is vectored toward Russia only for now.

OK, when the time comes, that conversation might need to be had.  This is not the time, and *on the subject of Ukraine* there is no daylight between me and an American on the left who believes the same.
That said, Russian influence ops have been behind a huge amount of the divisiveness in the US in the last 100 years.  Dealing with that problem permanently is one of the great unspoken benefits of the Russian-Ukraine war.

In a way I agree and in another way, I don't.  

I am with you 100% on the 100 years of Russian influence ops doing us harm, though.

I would also add that it's not just the internal damage they're responsible for.

They're largely responsible for the anti-West Islamist movement we've been dealing with for 40+ years and spent the last 20 conducting warfare directly against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DoVTbup548

Very true. Soviet influence AND support of Islam to weaken the west started in the 1920s.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
It looked more like a GM Hornet
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:05:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#36]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

I'll be interested to see if this is confirmed via other sources too. If it is, hopefully it becomes a trend
View Quote

The Kerch bridge strike is already paying dividends! Woo Hoo! Happy Dance!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I guess he did get caught dead in that!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

View All Quotes

I'll be interested to see if this is confirmed via other sources too. If it is, hopefully it becomes a trend

Translated: "Russia stops offensive as a sign of goodwill"
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Try Google for more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/27/europe/russia-ukraine-genocide-warning-intl/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurointegration.com.ua/eng/articles/2022/06/10/7140989/index.amp

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/why-russias-war-ukraine-genocide

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/putins-ukraine-genocide-is-rooted-in-russian-impunity-for-soviet-crimes/

There is a shit load, and YouTube videos as well. This is primarily an information thread where we back up claims with sources, etc. I personally watched Putin's speech before February 24th. They aren't being shy about their goals here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Originally Posted By hondaciv:
Originally Posted By doc540:
another "face of war"

Teacher Zoya Mehtiyeva was among the victims of orc genocidal bombings this morning.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/ukraine_teacher1-2558671.jpg

Murderous yes.  Genocidal?  Come on man.  This is how words lose their meanings.

Russia's aims are perfectly in line with the definition of genocide.

https://ria.ru/20220403/ukraina-1781469605.html

"The name "Ukraine" apparently cannot be retained as the title of any fully denazified state entity in a territory liberated from the Nazi regime"
"Denazification will inevitably also be a de-Ukrainization - a rejection of the large-scale artificial inflation of the ethnic component of self-identification of the population of the territories of historical Little Russia and New Russia, begun by the Soviet authorities."

Read this and understand what it's saying: if you are Ukrainian, you are a nazi. Period.  Putin himself, and his mouthpieces in his state run media have said multiple times that Ukraine is not a real country, and Ukrainian is not a real language. Ukrainian children have been transported to Russia to be reeducated.

Definition of genocide:

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

Killing members of the group;
Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group

ETA I would remind you that RIA is Russian state owned.

Alright- in that case, every single Russian offensive (and some defensive) act can be called genocidal.  This is a genocidal war against Ukraine.  I don't necessarily disagree.  

However, I have not seen Russian offensive action in Ukraine being referred to as "genocidal" much at all- in the general or Ukrainian media, and even in this thread (granted I haven't read all nearly 3,000 pages in this thread but tweets out of Ukraine sources don't use that word as far as I can remember).  Why is that word, or this overall discussion, not being brought up more often?  Doesn't NATO or the UN have a specific clause in its charter to directly intervene when genocide is happening within certain spaces.  

Try Google for more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/27/europe/russia-ukraine-genocide-warning-intl/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurointegration.com.ua/eng/articles/2022/06/10/7140989/index.amp

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/why-russias-war-ukraine-genocide

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/putins-ukraine-genocide-is-rooted-in-russian-impunity-for-soviet-crimes/

There is a shit load, and YouTube videos as well. This is primarily an information thread where we back up claims with sources, etc. I personally watched Putin's speech before February 24th. They aren't being shy about their goals here.

Harvest of Despair (Holodomor) The 1933 Ukrainian Famine Documentary (7 - 12 million Ukrainians starved to death in the largest genocide by famine in world history) - This is on BitChute, YouTube has it but it is only viewable with age verification.

I don't get the members here who don't understand genocide. The Holodomor was not the only mass genocide to erase Ukrainian history, ethnicity, language, and culture by Muscovy/"Russia", there were many more going back several hundreds of years. They need to also study "Russification".
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#43]

Oh my God. I think I woke some people up laughing so hard.
View Quote

I’ve always thought twitter was a sewer ( I do still ) but there are some gems to be found.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:17:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#44]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

LOL, is the recoil pushing that thing backwards?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waldo:

LOL, is the recoil pushing that thing backwards?

Slightly, yes.    You can see it on other Russian gun anti aircraft systems too.  Great for dispersion, not good for accuracy.

Skip to 47 seconds.

ZSU-23-4 "Shilka", self-propelled, radar guided anti-aircraft weapon system

Tunguska

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtIANpswgE

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PM4E:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PM4E:

Perhaps someone got tired of sending their fellow countrymen to certain doom?

Not a big movie guy, but i watched Rommel last night.  Obviously the coup against hitler failed.  It's worth noting the situation had a lot of parallels to the current one in russia.  
The Germans obviously go about things much differently than the russians, but the film painted the picture of how love of nation could lead commanders to pump the brakes on destructive insanity...or do the opposite.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Ours are returning home. Another exchange of prisoners, another moment of joy and the realization that today will be one of the best days in life for many families. It was possible to free 20 people from captivity. These are 20 stories of Ukrainian heroes, 14 - soldiers of the Armed Forces, 4 soldiers of the Russian Armed Forces, one National Guardsman and a member of the Navy. There are people whom the Russians kept in Olenivka, in the temporarily occupied territories of Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions.
https://t.me/ermaka2022/1456
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Wonderful bit of history, thank you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Yes.

The biggest advantage of trenches is they usually have communications trenches leading up to them from the rear, so if you are in a static front for a long time, with snipers galore, NCOs can check up on their grunts, you can come and go, get resupplied with chow, take a dump, do it all below ground.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Schwaben_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_10-05-1916_IWM_HU_91107.jpg/440px-Schwaben_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_10-05-1916_IWM_HU_91107.jpg

But a trench is impossible to camouflage, don’t have overhead cover, and are very vulnerable to drones and proximity fuses.

I suspect both sides got used to them 2014-2021 and don’t know any better.

The US went to foxholes, along with everyone else, mostly, in WWII. Easier to dig when your halted for a short while, camouflage, and put overhead cover on.  Generally, dogfaces had to stay put in their holes sunup to sundown, or get shot.  But if the enemy lines aren’t that close, and you’re getting pounded by artillery and UAVs, a better bet then a trench.

https://i.redd.it/e2xmh39ycoaz.jpg

You need some lumber for a roof but I can’t imagine how we can supply HIMARS and not wood and sandbags.

There was a US officer in WWI, named Depuy, who became indignant that Germans dug better holes then us.  They would put a berm of dirt in the front and if suppressed, shoot around the side of their cover and catch the attacker in a crossfire.  A US trooper had to duck down in the bottom of his hole and couldn’t stick his head up.  Think of Private Blythe in BoB.  

30 years later, Depuy made the Army conduct tests on what the best type of hole was, statistically prove his hole was better, and change the FMs to choose his type of hole.  He happened to be correct, and we’ve done it that way ever since.  The US Army fighting position is easier to put overhead cover on, and camouflage.

https://media.defense.gov/2013/Jan/15/2001177900/-1/-1/0/801921-U-LUD04-229.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/NINTCHDBPICT000732855970.jpg

Wonderful bit of history, thank you.

I spent most of my time in as light infantry, but back in the stone age when I was in, IIRC, the order of construction went: hasty fighting position, primary fighting position with overhead cover, clearing the fields of fire (FoF), secondary fighting position which covered the same FoF, alternate fighting position and then you connected it all with what I think were called communication trenches.

Someone whose mind isn't half gone can correct me but I think that was the order. Anyway, it was lots and lots and lots of digging.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:27:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#48]
dupe
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Russian Army Will Be ‘Annihilated’ if Putin Nukes Ukraine: Borrell

High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrel.

By Alisa Orlova for Kyiv Post
Published Oct. 13 at 4:57 pm

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell warned Moscow on Thursday, Oct.13, that its forces would be “annihilated” by the West’s military response if President Vladimir Putin uses nuclear weapons against Ukraine.

“Putin is saying he is not bluffing. Well, he cannot afford bluffing, and it has to be clear that the people supporting Ukraine and the European Union and the Member States, and the United States and NATO are not bluffing neither,” Borrell said at the opening of a Diplomatic Academy in Brussels.

“Any nuclear attack against Ukraine will create an answer, not a nuclear answer but such a powerful answer from the military side that the Russian Army will be annihilated.”

Fears that Moscow could use a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine have grown after Putin issued veiled threats as he staged the annexation of four occupied regions in the face of loses on the battlefield.

NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg has warned Russia it faces “severe consequences” if it launches a nuclear attack on its pro-Western neighbor.

“There would be a sharp response — almost certainly drawing a physical response from many allies, and potentially from NATO itself,” a senior NATO official said Wednesday.

But the alliance has stopped short of threatening to use its nuclear arsenal to respond as non-member Ukraine is not covered by its self-defence clause.

Gen. Petreus said the same thing last week.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2807 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top