Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2808 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MostlyPeaceful:

Don't be too sure that NATO CI didn't know. Identified threats are sometimes left in place for various reasons to include identifying control elements etc.. Arrests, detentions, expulsions are very often after those efforts have been exhausted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MostlyPeaceful:
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

The Economist | The war in Ukraine has battered the reputation of Russian spies
Article below:
Click To View Spoiler

About a year ago some journalists realized that the GRU had been lazy and issued sequentially numbered passports to several dozen spies, so they started investigating people in the number range resulting in a series of articles unmasking several of them.  For instance, there was a "Peruvian" woman living in Italy and banging NATO officers who moved to Russia in a hurry after the articles began appearing.  Using image search they found she then used the same social media profile pic under her real name in Russia, so the journalists bought Moscow telephone records on the black market and found calls between her and officers in the GRU illegals program.  Pretty humiliating for the GRU, and not too impressive of NATO counterintelligence either, if you think about it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Russian-spy-uncovered-when-GRU-used-consecutive-passport-numbers-reused-social-media-profile-pic/5-2580376/

Don't be too sure that NATO CI didn't know. Identified threats are sometimes left in place for various reasons to include identifying control elements etc.. Arrests, detentions, expulsions are very often after those efforts have been exhausted.

And who wouldn't want the job of banging a hot russian spy and giving her false intel? Made them feel all James Bond!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:34:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#2]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
We should also consider that an awful lot of the gear and ammo are a net gain to our military budget. M113s are never going back into US service, we have spent billions maintaining them in storage over the years, same with gobs of the ammo we have sent, we paid for it decades ago, and would have continued spending billions maintaining and storing it for decades to come.

What so few seem to grasp is that most of what we have sent is our garbage, sort of like at my house, every few years we go through and donate junk to a church rummage sale or other charity, it is junk, but still useful to someone else. I am glad to get rid of it, and the other person finds it valuable. I often send a few bits that are "good stuff" with the junk, because it is for a good cause, but it is still things I am not going to use any way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K0UA:

what ever it is, we needed to have sent more.
We should also consider that an awful lot of the gear and ammo are a net gain to our military budget. M113s are never going back into US service, we have spent billions maintaining them in storage over the years, same with gobs of the ammo we have sent, we paid for it decades ago, and would have continued spending billions maintaining and storing it for decades to come.

What so few seem to grasp is that most of what we have sent is our garbage, sort of like at my house, every few years we go through and donate junk to a church rummage sale or other charity, it is junk, but still useful to someone else. I am glad to get rid of it, and the other person finds it valuable. I often send a few bits that are "good stuff" with the junk, because it is for a good cause, but it is still things I am not going to use any way.

P38 is right of course.  

Here is an illustration of his point (building an artificial reef):

EDIT:

- as R0N later pointed out, our newest and best equipment is ALSO part of the aid to Ukraine.  Switchblade drones and Excaliber rounds being exapmples.

The ultimate example is the Phoenix Ghost loitering munition (drone) whic we have not even adopted for our own use, yet 121 of them will be sent to Ukraine as aid.

This is an artists’ guess at what it might look like (believe details of the thing are classified, though the Pentagon said publicly in April we are sending them at some point):

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:35:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#3]
Ukraine Airs ‘Romantic’ Video Asking France for More Guns
By AFP for Kyiv Post
Published Oct. 13 at 12:55 pm

Ukraine’s defence ministry sought to woo France on Wednesday, Oct.12, with a mock love-letter video, urging its ally to send more artillery as a “romantic gesture” to repel the Russian invasion.

The unusual plea, set to Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg’s sultry hit “Je T’aime… Moi Non Plus”, comes as Kyiv urges Western nations to help bolster its air defences after a rash of deadly Russian air strikes in recent days.

“Romantic gestures take many forms,” reads the text in the video posted to the ministry’s Twitter account, opening with footage of pink roses, milk chocolate and a sunset over the Seine river.

“But if you really want to win our hearts,” it adds before cutting to images of large guns in action, “nothing beats 155-mm highly mobile self-propelled artillery”.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:45:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

P38 is right of course.  

https://www.islandpacket.com/latest-news/21tjkh/picture33033822/alternates/FREE_1140/9bMe6.So.9.jpeg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K0UA:

what ever it is, we needed to have sent more.

P38 is right of course.  

https://www.islandpacket.com/latest-news/21tjkh/picture33033822/alternates/FREE_1140/9bMe6.So.9.jpeg

WTF man! I would have bought one of those!

It breaks my heart to see that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Tally as of 9 hrs ago.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:50:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#11]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

It's hilarious to see how Russian equipment is completely and utterly outclassed by US/Western stuff, even when it's Western stuff that's partly improvised, or rushed into service.

... of course, the Ukrainians are probably exaggerating their success, but still.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe9KGwaWYAI7EE5?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

It's hilarious to see how Russian equipment is completely and utterly outclassed by US/Western stuff, even when it's Western stuff that's partly improvised, or rushed into service.

... of course, the Ukrainians are probably exaggerating their success, but still.

It take a few days or even weeks, but we eventually see the damage from the initial claims in photos or videos.  I don't think Ukraine is overestimating the Russian losses, they have turned out to be a bit conservative in fact.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#12]
1 hr ago.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:53:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#13]
This was brokered by the West.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#14]

It take a few days or even weeks, but we eventually see the damage from the initial claims in photos or videos.  I don't think Ukraine is overestimating the Russian losses, they have turned out to be a bit conservative in fact.
View All Quotes

It’s going to take years to fully evaluate the numbers and in the end there will be a plus or minus associated with the determined numbers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Featureless:

I recall a story, possibly from the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, that someone placed china dinner plates on the street upside down, with the poor vision from inside tanks, they slow or step to try to determine of they were mines, making them targets for Molotov cocktails from nearby buildings.  However, my recollection is also that the "Russian" response was to shoot out the lower floors of suspect buildings causing them to collapse and they weren't very discriminating on which buildings they'd collapse.
View Quote

I also heard stories of old ladies soaping up some cobblestone streets in precarious turns or hills causing Russian tanks to skid.

How the current Hungarian Admin could be remotely agnostic about this war is very disappointing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By torstin:

What benefit is there to even mentioning it?
View Quote

"Please dont nuke us too Mr. Putin sir"....#f***ingFrance

At least they have sent more weapons than Germany.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:01:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#18]
Originally Posted By R0N:

It’s going to take years to fully evaluate the numbers and in the end there will be a plus or minus associated with the determined numbers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R0N:

I certainly agree in regards to exact counting of destroyed units, but if we are going by the indications of multiple large SAM units being made inoperable just the past two days, which Ukraine doesn't usually claim very often and then seeing large kill tallies in the next days of Russian tanks and IFV's then I guess the job is getting done regardless of the actual kill claims.

There is literally a ton of drone and other footage that we aren't seeing, that footage is helping Ukraine to get a handle on what kind of damage they are doing to Russian forces and it seems to be keeping them pretty reliable in the claims department.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Ours are returning home. Another exchange of prisoners, another moment of joy and the realization that today will be one of the best days in life for many families. It was possible to free 20 people from captivity. These are 20 stories of Ukrainian heroes, 14 - soldiers of the Armed Forces, 4 soldiers of the Russian Armed Forces, one National Guardsman and a member of the Navy. There are people whom the Russians kept in Olenivka, in the temporarily occupied territories of Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions.
https://t.me/ermaka2022/1456
View Quote

I had a WTF moment, then looked at the original Telegram post. Autotranslate did fuck up here, it's Territorial Defense, not RU Armed Forces.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I feel sorry for those men. Their government attempted to murder them just to grease their tank treads. I hope every Mobik gets a chance to surrender.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

View Quote

It’s absolute bullshit to see that! Those APCs don’t belong to the government, they belong to the American people. They should be surplussed and sold. Not dumped into the ocean for whatever reason..

My local Sheriff Department had one they had fixed up and professionally painted black and gold for their SWAT team. Obama government took it away and shipped it to a Air National Guard bombing range to be used as a target.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By kncook:

(Other soldier watching the guy just throw mines out in the open road)

“That will never work dude….”
View Quote

We had that debate a few dozen pages ago. "How effective is it to just lay mines in the roadway". iirc we all agreed that it will have the desired effect: slow and delay the approaching vehicles, especially if the mines are properly utilized with an overwatch. After the first mine detonates, there will be enough debris and chaos on the road that a buttoned up tank will not be able to see the rest.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

View Quote
France has had the one boot policy for a long time. This really shouldn't be surprising to anyone.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

It’s absolute bullshit to see that! Those APCs don’t belong to the government, they belong to the American people. They should be surplussed and sold. Not dumped into the ocean for whatever reason..

My local Sheriff Department had one they had fixed up and professionally painted black and gold for their SWAT team. Obama government took it away and shipped it to a Air National Guard bombing range to be used as a target.
View All Quotes

Don't forget that Bill Clinton built a huge reef off of Commiefornia using tanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Either those crates were empty or those are some strong tables
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:25:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:28:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#29]

View All Quotes

Sorry!  Maybe I should have added a trigger warning?

This won’t help, but google turned up many more events showing 113s just dumped like that.

I also love the 113 and it’s sad to see them treated this way.

On the bright (and relevant) side:

- a bunch are in Ukraine now, doing what they were made to do: fight Russians!

- even more cool are the 113 variants (we called it the AIFV) -  highly modified and used by the Dutch, and now donated and in service with the Ukrainian army.

Here is the Wiki on them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIFV
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:31:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 302w] [#31]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
Russian Army Will Be ‘Annihilated’ if Putin Nukes Ukraine: Borrell
https://www.kyivpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/000_9mu3e7.jpg
High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrel.

By Alisa Orlova for Kyiv Post
Published Oct. 13 at 4:57 pm

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell warned Moscow on Thursday, Oct.13, that its forces would be “annihilated” by the West’s military response if President Vladimir Putin uses nuclear weapons against Ukraine.

“Putin is saying he is not bluffing. Well, he cannot afford bluffing, and it has to be clear that the people supporting Ukraine and the European Union and the Member States, and the United States and NATO are not bluffing neither,” Borrell said at the opening of a Diplomatic Academy in Brussels.

“Any nuclear attack against Ukraine will create an answer, not a nuclear answer but such a powerful answer from the military side that the Russian Army will be annihilated.”

Fears that Moscow could use a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine have grown after Putin issued veiled threats as he staged the annexation of four occupied regions in the face of loses on the battlefield.

NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg has warned Russia it faces “severe consequences” if it launches a nuclear attack on its pro-Western neighbor.

“There would be a sharp response — almost certainly drawing a physical response from many allies, and potentially from NATO itself,” a senior NATO official said Wednesday.

But the alliance has stopped short of threatening to use its nuclear arsenal to respond as non-member Ukraine is not covered by its self-defence clause.

Gen. Petreus said the same thing last week.
View Quote

The EU only has one nuclear member state who publicly announced that they will not retaliate if Putin uses nukes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

Not one penny wasted.
View Quote

And now the chance to kill iranian IRGC!!! What a bargain! Only thing missing is some antifa and BLM...
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#34]

EDIT:

- as R0N later pointed out, our newest and best equipment is ALSO part of the aid to Ukraine.  Switchblade drones and Excaliber rounds being exapmples.

The ultimate example is the Phoenix Ghost loitering munition (drone) whic we have not even adopted for our own use, yet 121 of them will be sent to Ukraine as aid.

This is an artists’ guess at what it might look like (believe details of the thing are classified, though the Pentagon said publicly in April we are sending them at some point):

https://www.airforce-technology.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2022/05/switchblade300-aerovironment.jpg
View Quote

T&E also costs a shit ton of money, and having intelligence into their real world performance is very valuable. Obviously there is a trade off in price and risk of something being captured, but it's not every day you can have other people test your equipment against one of their designed foes in real combat situations. You can't believe how many people and resources are involved in a T&E mission.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:34:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#35]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_3

The Arrow 3 or Hetz 3 (Hebrew: חֵץ 3, pronounced [ˈχet͡s]) is an exoatmospheric hypersonic anti-ballistic missile, jointly funded, developed and produced by Israel and the United States. Undertaken by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Boeing, it is overseen by the Israeli Ministry of Defense's "Homa" (Hebrew: חומה, pronounced [χoma], "rampart") administration and the U.S. Missile Defense Agency. It provides exo-atmospheric interception of ballistic missiles (during the space-flight portion of their trajectory), including intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs)[2][3] carrying nuclear, chemical, biological or conventional warheads. With divert motor capability, its kill vehicle can switch directions dramatically, allowing it to pivot to see approaching satellites.[4] The missile may have a reported flight range of up to 2,400 km (1,500 mi).[5]

According to the chairman of the Israeli Space Agency, Arrow 3 may serve as an anti-satellite weapon, which would make Israel one of the world's few countries capable of shooting down satellites.[4]
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Like to see the GD mental gymnastics for this
View Quote

No kidding. "Russia and Ukraine just as bad, errr Iranian Kuds Force terrorists just as bad as Ukrainian school children"...#stupididiots
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 302w:
The EU only has one nuclear member state who publicly announced that they will not retaliate if Putin uses nukes.
View Quote

The west does not have to use nukes to annihilate Russian forces. That's kind of the differentiator between the east and the west.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#38]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe8FVElWYAACqv-?format=jpg&name=small

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_3

View Quote

That's good. I know there are a lot of Israel haters here, but in the missile and e warfare world, they are very, very well respected. Good to see EU states waking up to the idea that real war can always happen and preparing themselves.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:42:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#39]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
France has had the one boot policy for a long time. This really shouldn't be surprising to anyone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

There has been a recent shift away from strategic ambiguity towards a more clear response to the what-if Russia employs tactical nuclear weapons in this war question.

Macron has consistently tried to differentiate his responses, but France appears to be on board overall if not doing more than several others in Europe.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Getting the support vehicles is the real prize, if you can destroy the much rarer radar systems needed by the launchers, you can at least temporarily turn the whole system into an expensive paper weight until the next radar and support vehicles are put into place.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Like a holiday… in Cambodia
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:48:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#42]

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

I'll be interested to see if this is confirmed via other sources too. If it is, hopefully it becomes a trend.

Sounds more like impending use of NBC.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#44]
99 problems

This is not the EU.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Great read.
View All Quotes

The Economist | The war in Ukraine has battered the reputation of Russian spies
Article below:
Click To View Spoiler

Great read.
It was....until I hit "learnt"

Is learnt a word?

is the author English?  I thought they invented the language?

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScaryBlackGuns] [#47]
Originally Posted By xd341:
It was....until I hit "learnt"

Is learnt a word?

is the author English?  I thought they invented the language?

View Quote

Both "learnt" and "learned" are past participle and past tense of the verb learn.  Both are proper but learned is more common in North America while learnt is more common in the rest of the world.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

I think they watched too much Top Gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmEp9bBY5ds
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

I think they watched too much Top Gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmEp9bBY5ds
Weren't the Ukies doing Thunder Runs in Toyota technicals with ATGM crews in the back?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#50]
US Govt sinks a lot of things to benefit citizens.

Ships (including aircraft carriers), planes and armored vehicles.

Usually private money is used to pay for the the removal of hazardous materials and the cost of the sinking.

The beneficiaries are sports fisherman, predator and game fish and scuba/free divers and the local industries that support those activities.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2808 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top