Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2812 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
Red Cross (ICRC) continues to be either a) compromised or b) super fucked up.
View Quote

Red Cross has been compromised since WWII...
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GreenLantern:

Seeing that makes me glad I don't associate with anyone who has the "Why should I care about Ukraine?" attitude.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreenLantern:
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Seeing that makes me glad I don't associate with anyone who has the "Why should I care about Ukraine?" attitude.

Yep. I've cut several people out of my life because of this war. It's not like I liked them much anyway, but still.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Red Cross has been compromised since WWII...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Win-win.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Past is prologue. The longer this goes, the worse it gets for Russia.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
EYE for an EYE
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Any takers on this bet?
View Quote

I thought air burst was for nuclear weapons, or for anti personel fragmentation rounds?

Anti structure I always thought was point detonating or point detonating delay.

My Day 1, 5 minutes in guess was massive 1ton+ SVBIED, and it remains my guess.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if already posted - very interesting image.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Taboot:

One of best old friends was a seabee (sp?) During the Korean War. After the war, his job was to dispose of American equipment off the side of a ship.  Brand new vehicles of all types.  Cadillac produced ambulances, personnel carriers, Jeeps, etc.  For weeks on end.  He said it broke his heart doing it.
View Quote
I worked for Dynalectron when they were opening Irwin back up as the NTC. Some of the base housing had just been refurbished when it was mothballed. Brand new appliances, 1000's of pounds of copper (soldered with lead solder), and tons of other brand new items were buried in the desert. I had a buddy there tell me that there was a shuttered base in Wisconsin where about 200 brand new Indian MC's were buried.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

I thought air burst was for nuclear weapons, or for anti personel fragmentation rounds?

Anti structure I always thought was point detonating or point detonating delay.

My Day 1, 5 minutes in guess was massive 1ton+ SVBIED, and it remains my guess.
View Quote

Concur.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:41:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uxb] [#19]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe8FVElWYAACqv-?format=jpg&name=small

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_3

View Quote

Those Arrows are damned fast.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@AlmightyTallest
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Good video, includes some video of that building takedown a couple months ago.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I love it. I must say, if any vid needed to be dubbed with Benny Hill, it is this one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Evil_Chaos:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe-TdQuXkAIzDr-?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
That is cool. I can't wait for them to get their F35's
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#23]

Seen some traffic on a bunch of HAWKs in storage, possibly being rolled forward.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:52:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ludder093] [#24]
Btw. Fuck Emmanuel Macron... What is it with the French and being such pussies?

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Russian Invasion of Ukraine - 6 Month Summary DOCUMENTARY
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By belted_guns:

USA is well known for letting certain nation states provide logistics to opposing forces while we were not allowed to target those locations. Aka: china/Korean war, china,Russia,laos-vietnam war, and on and on
Geopolitics.
And it sucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By belted_guns:
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

Why we can’t give the UA a few hundred ATACMs is beyond me. 18 for the Kerch bridge, 4 for each Belorussian depot, 16 for Sebasastapol etc. all in one big FU strike.

Letting the Russians run offensive ops just behind the border is  absurd. It’s typical half m assure stuff. You can fight back but you just can’t punch with your right (opponent can but you can’t) or hit below belt. Don’t worry we got your back isn’t good enough here.

USA is well known for letting certain nation states provide logistics to opposing forces while we were not allowed to target those locations. Aka: china/Korean war, china,Russia,laos-vietnam war, and on and on
Geopolitics.
And it sucks.

Russia is doing the same and has been doing so.

This is modern proxy warfare it’s done a good job of preventing another cascading global war like WW1. It does seem like the our side would absolutely wipe the floor with the entirety of the other side now but maybe next war that won’t be the case. No need to break the precedent in order absolutely decimate the ruskies. The rules are set and they are fucking losing big time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Haub] [#28]
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cjqjfqcg9bJ/?igshid=N2NmMDY0OWE%3D

Freaking amazing... I cant imagine how loud and concussive that must be in person

"ZSU-23-4 Shilka of Ukraine’s 66th Mechanized Brigade firing it’s 23 mm 2A7 autocannons towards a Russian ground force."
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Started about 30 m ago.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Long Ukrainian video, no translation, but some really good footage in between interview segments.

In decisive situations, real leadership and courage are revealed. When leading into battle, our commanders are not guided by the Soviet principle - "forward!", but give the order "follow me!". This is another cardinal difference of our army and the key to its success. Together to victory! #Ukraine_stands_on_our_shoulders @CinCAFU
https://t.me/newspn/38416
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#31]
GTLandser Ukrainian edition.

View Quote

I am rolling!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#32]

China is on line 2…
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AWMCoalition:

The fire was on the rail bridge not the automobile bridge shown in these photos.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OBird:

It appears his “evidence” is the fact that the guardrail is sagging…right where the big fire was.

That’s from getting weakened by the large fire, not a “downward blast”. Even the rails / train wheels were deformed by that heat; you can bet a simple guardrail will too.

The fire was on the rail bridge not the automobile bridge shown in these photos.

Oops … fair point.

Although the fire was pretty big…spewed burning fuel in the water, etc. MAYBE it was big enough at one point to affect it?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#34]
NSFW.
View Quote

Twitter Hater's Link
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Oof.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:31:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#37]
Bye Felicia.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Haub:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cjqjfqcg9bJ/?igshid=N2NmMDY0OWE%3D

Freaking amazing... I cant imagine how loud and concussive that must be in person

"ZSU-23-4 Shilka of Ukraine’s 66th Mechanized Brigade firing it’s 23 mm 2A7 autocannons towards a Russian ground force."
View Quote

I’m surprised it’s taken this long for that beast to be filmed in an anti-personnel role.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#39]
On the photo on the top of this page. Check out the inside of the cockpits of the aircraft. They got both flags flying. Although it appears the US flag is folded in a certain... Way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Oops … fair point.

Although the fire was pretty big…spewed burning fuel in the water, etc. MAYBE it was big enough at one point to affect it?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62477/E29FFD10-33C8-4A5B-B41F-45D16131D10B_jpe-2561939.JPG
View All Quotes

It appears his “evidence” is the fact that the guardrail is sagging…right where the big fire was.

That’s from getting weakened by the large fire, not a “downward blast”. Even the rails / train wheels were deformed by that heat; you can bet a simple guardrail will too.

Oops … fair point.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62477/E29FFD10-33C8-4A5B-B41F-45D16131D10B_jpe-2561939.JPG

Pictures I posted showed scorch marks on are a vertical face 100 to 150' ? away from the rail fire on the opposite side as the fire.  There is open water between the bridges. The sidle of that bridge would have been shaded by the rail fire.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

I spent most of my time in as light infantry, but back in the stone age when I was in, IIRC, the order of construction went: hasty fighting position, primary fighting position with overhead cover, clearing the fields of fire (FoF), secondary fighting position which covered the same FoF, alternate fighting position and then you connected it all with what I think were called communication trenches.

Someone whose mind isn't half gone can correct me but I think that was the order. Anyway, it was lots and lots and lots of digging.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Yes.

The biggest advantage of trenches is they usually have communications trenches leading up to them from the rear, so if you are in a static front for a long time, with snipers galore, NCOs can check up on their grunts, you can come and go, get resupplied with chow, take a dump, do it all below ground.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Schwaben_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_10-05-1916_IWM_HU_91107.jpg/440px-Schwaben_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_10-05-1916_IWM_HU_91107.jpg

But a trench is impossible to camouflage, don’t have overhead cover, and are very vulnerable to drones and proximity fuses.

I suspect both sides got used to them 2014-2021 and don’t know any better.

The US went to foxholes, along with everyone else, mostly, in WWII. Easier to dig when your halted for a short while, camouflage, and put overhead cover on.  Generally, dogfaces had to stay put in their holes sunup to sundown, or get shot.  But if the enemy lines aren’t that close, and you’re getting pounded by artillery and UAVs, a better bet then a trench.

https://i.redd.it/e2xmh39ycoaz.jpg

You need some lumber for a roof but I can’t imagine how we can supply HIMARS and not wood and sandbags.

There was a US officer in WWI, named Depuy, who became indignant that Germans dug better holes then us.  They would put a berm of dirt in the front and if suppressed, shoot around the side of their cover and catch the attacker in a crossfire.  A US trooper had to duck down in the bottom of his hole and couldn’t stick his head up.  Think of Private Blythe in BoB.  

30 years later, Depuy made the Army conduct tests on what the best type of hole was, statistically prove his hole was better, and change the FMs to choose his type of hole.  He happened to be correct, and we’ve done it that way ever since.  The US Army fighting position is easier to put overhead cover on, and camouflage.

https://media.defense.gov/2013/Jan/15/2001177900/-1/-1/0/801921-U-LUD04-229.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/NINTCHDBPICT000732855970.jpg

Wonderful bit of history, thank you.

I spent most of my time in as light infantry, but back in the stone age when I was in, IIRC, the order of construction went: hasty fighting position, primary fighting position with overhead cover, clearing the fields of fire (FoF), secondary fighting position which covered the same FoF, alternate fighting position and then you connected it all with what I think were called communication trenches.

Someone whose mind isn't half gone can correct me but I think that was the order. Anyway, it was lots and lots and lots of digging.

Related to this, when I would look at combat pictures of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, I cant recall them ever having a shovel or spade / entrenching tool in their kit.

I guess holes werent dug then?

Is carrying an E-tool still SOP, or going to make a comeback?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Melitopol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Related to this, when I would look at combat pictures of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, I cant recall them ever having a shovel or spade / entrenching tool in their kit.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Yes.

The biggest advantage of trenches is they usually have communications trenches leading up to them from the rear, so if you are in a static front for a long time, with snipers galore, NCOs can check up on their grunts, you can come and go, get resupplied with chow, take a dump, do it all below ground.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Schwaben_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_10-05-1916_IWM_HU_91107.jpg/440px-Schwaben_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_10-05-1916_IWM_HU_91107.jpg

But a trench is impossible to camouflage, don’t have overhead cover, and are very vulnerable to drones and proximity fuses.

I suspect both sides got used to them 2014-2021 and don’t know any better.

The US went to foxholes, along with everyone else, mostly, in WWII. Easier to dig when your halted for a short while, camouflage, and put overhead cover on.  Generally, dogfaces had to stay put in their holes sunup to sundown, or get shot.  But if the enemy lines aren’t that close, and you’re getting pounded by artillery and UAVs, a better bet then a trench.

https://i.redd.it/e2xmh39ycoaz.jpg

You need some lumber for a roof but I can’t imagine how we can supply HIMARS and not wood and sandbags.

There was a US officer in WWI, named Depuy, who became indignant that Germans dug better holes then us.  They would put a berm of dirt in the front and if suppressed, shoot around the side of their cover and catch the attacker in a crossfire.  A US trooper had to duck down in the bottom of his hole and couldn’t stick his head up.  Think of Private Blythe in BoB.  

30 years later, Depuy made the Army conduct tests on what the best type of hole was, statistically prove his hole was better, and change the FMs to choose his type of hole.  He happened to be correct, and we’ve done it that way ever since.  The US Army fighting position is easier to put overhead cover on, and camouflage.

https://media.defense.gov/2013/Jan/15/2001177900/-1/-1/0/801921-U-LUD04-229.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/NINTCHDBPICT000732855970.jpg

Wonderful bit of history, thank you.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Seen some traffic on a bunch of HAWKs in storage, possibly being rolled forward.
View Quote

It will be very cool to see the old HAWK system get a chance to shine one last time. It had been around in some form since 1960. Imagine how embarrassing it will be for the Russians to lose modern systems such as their latest strike fighter aircraft and their newer cruise missiles to this old system that was completely phased out of U.S. service 20 years ago.

I also hope the various NATO member nations can scrape together a few longer range systems like Patriot or the excellent French SAMP/T "Mamba" to use in conjunction with the short and medium range systems they are receiving. Pretty much any system used by NATO should be able to plug and play in the network.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Belarus. Something fucky is going on.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#50]

They certainly are, the 6 helicopters are more than they thought they got yesterday.
View Quote

I want to see proof
First.

Also, Russia is ordering 2500 more shaheds.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2812 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top