Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2838 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Well why would Russia not be flying those planes if they already had pilots?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
What makes you believe russia has fresh planes but not pilots for them?
New planes sounds like bad news to me.
Well why would Russia not be flying those planes if they already had pilots?

1 - pretending they can maintain force elsewhere
2 - they had been afraid of Ukrainian air defense but are taking a "Leroy Jenkins" approach to try and show some progress no matter how many assets they lose
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Wish granted.

View Quote

Very freaky. Instead of the "Flying Dutchman" we get the "Rolling Russian" ghost tank.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the info graphics show Russia losing around 250 planes. Is it really possible they don't have enough pilots?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]

I really have no idea what the russians have.
If they are bringing planes out of storage knowing they don't have anybody to fly the planes, fine. The planes can sit idle outside instead of sitting idle inside.
View All Quotes
The planes are coming out of storage.  Are Russian pilots doing a time share with planes.

I really have no idea what the russians have.
If they are bringing planes out of storage knowing they don't have anybody to fly the planes, fine. The planes can sit idle outside instead of sitting idle inside.

I think they are probably for pilots that they are mobilizing.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Russian drone footage.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

So, 10K dead on the Ukrainian side.
View Quote

No, previous post says they had the numbers backwards.  6.5
Russians killed to 1 Ukrainian.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]

It is reported that a fuel depot is on fire in Nikolaev
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

It is reported that a fuel depot is on fire in Nikolaev
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

I have to say, those are some of the more creative insults and threats I have heard over the radio.
View All Quotes
A captured Russian radio, as Ukrainians listen in and laugh. Translated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/y5na4h/russian_math_chatter_on_the_captured_radio/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

I have to say, those are some of the more creative insults and threats I have heard over the radio.

Poor Russian artillery man was only off by half a kilometer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Russian drone footage.

View Quote

A battery 3 of 105 HE/VT, with the first rounds AMC, would have made sure nobody came out of those bushes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Did the United Kingdom give Ukraine any of there FV430 Bulldogs? They up armored a ton of these for use in Iraq in 2006, did they just leave them in Iraq? They would be an awesome asset on the Frontline. Better protection than the M113.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:
View Quote

Current overall total is about 65,000 Russians dead. If that figure is roughly close for the whole current phase of the conflict, that's 10K Ukrainian dead. Ukraine keeps VERY good infosec, so we don't really know for sure. Undoubtedly, the ratio highly favors Ukraine, and should continue to do so. As noted a few pages back, in three more months or a bit more, we'll see 100K dead on the Russian side.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

That video of a small attack had more drama than the best action scenes from Saving private Ryan or Band of Brothers. I just wish we had more info about it from either the RU or the UA. Since the RU had a drone in the air observing and probably directing the attack, it was probably well planned and organized, at least by RU standards. There was certainly more happening off camera or too far to be seen, probably on the right flank. I bet the vid will be studies and discussed in various war colleges or at least infantry/armor schools for years.

View All Quotes

I don't think the Ukrainians were prepared for an assault of that size at all (moderate though it was). Maybe they were TDF, or maybe they were in a thinly held sector.

I didn't see any vehicles, any AT weapons, and the defenses were primarily the two bunkers right on the road, and some other rather sad looking dugouts off the road. They didn't even appear to have vehicles of any kind, and their positions didn't have any depth (meaning they had nowhere else behind to run TO).

So yeah, considering the Russians had 1 or more tanks and 2 BMPs + dismounts, that went about how I would expect.

Without ATGMs, mortars, or artillery to call upon, I also couldn't reasonably expect they would just remain there, in a badly prepared position, taking direct fire from tanks.

That video of a small attack had more drama than the best action scenes from Saving private Ryan or Band of Brothers. I just wish we had more info about it from either the RU or the UA. Since the RU had a drone in the air observing and probably directing the attack, it was probably well planned and organized, at least by RU standards. There was certainly more happening off camera or too far to be seen, probably on the right flank. I bet the vid will be studies and discussed in various war colleges or at least infantry/armor schools for years.

Link for the video???
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
A captured Russian radio, as Ukrainians listen in and laugh. Translated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/y5na4h/russian_math_chatter_on_the_captured_radio/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Wonder if there's a difference in size for the ones unit versus the tens unit for his abacus?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Those <7 day streets to the front transitions are not going to work out very well for fighter jocks.
View All Quotes
Does Russia have some secret stash of well trained pilots?

Those <7 day streets to the front transitions are not going to work out very well for fighter jocks.

Have they run out of all their front line junk or are they just trying to husband their resources at this point? You know, by sacrificing their second line junk. Good old Putin is a master strategist after all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Current overall total is about 65,000 Russians dead. If that figure is roughly close for the whole current phase of the conflict, that's 10K Ukrainian dead. Ukraine keeps VERY good infosec, so we don't really know for sure. Undoubtedly, the ratio highly favors Ukraine, and should continue to do so. As noted a few pages back, in three more months or a bit more, we'll see 100K dead on the Russian side.
View All Quotes

I don’t think that ratio is for the whole war. Those numbers would be impossibly low.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

That turd Douglas Macgregor always harps on about the casualties being 5 Ukrainians to 1 Russian deaths.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

That turd Douglas Macgregor always harps on about the casualties being 5 Ukrainians to 1 Russian deaths.

10k is unbelievably good (for Ukraine) during an all-out war. I think it’s more like 1-3
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Planes are the easy part. Having someone to fly them is a completely different thing.
Given the Russian ability to have appropriately trained and equipped infantry and technicians at the right time and right place, I have no doubt that Russia is pulling planes out of mothballs with next to zero change of having current and capable fighter pilots.
View Quote
They may be going to other places. Belarus or Iran. I making a guess though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

A lot of the wounded also die because lack of proper care on the Ruskie side...
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

During the 1917 Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele) took place over about 100 days and reasonable estimates of casualties seem to be about 700,000.  So, the rate was about 7,000 casualties per day.    

During 1916, the Battle of the Somme took place over 140 days, with close to a million casualties.  So, a very similar rate - about 7,000 thousand casualties per day.

... and remember, those were specific campaigns in a small part of the overall theatre, and there was lots of dying going on at the same time on other battlefields.

WW1 must have been an absolutely terrifying meatgrinder.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

When you figure that The Ukraine was losing ∓100 dead per day At The Start, as a whole, that isn't that bad.
I remember reading that during the World Wars, about 1,000 soldiers died Per Day, excluding Major Attacks and offenses.

During the 1917 Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele) took place over about 100 days and reasonable estimates of casualties seem to be about 700,000.  So, the rate was about 7,000 casualties per day.    

During 1916, the Battle of the Somme took place over 140 days, with close to a million casualties.  So, a very similar rate - about 7,000 thousand casualties per day.

... and remember, those were specific campaigns in a small part of the overall theatre, and there was lots of dying going on at the same time on other battlefields.

WW1 must have been an absolutely terrifying meatgrinder.  

Between the war and the Spanish Flu, Europe lost most of a generation, and one could argue they never really recovered from that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Very freaky. Instead of the "Flying Dutchman" we get the "Rolling Russian" ghost tank.
View All Quotes

Wish granted.

Crazy Ivan, on land.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Longer version of yesterday's Kraken firefight video.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#25]
Latest from TWZ

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/annual-nato-nuclear-drills-featuring-b-52-bombers-to-begin-next-week
Beginning Monday, NATO will kick off its annual nuclear deterrence exercise known as Steadfast Noon. U.S. Air Force B-52 bombers are among the aircraft slated to participate in the event, which will be carried out over northwestern Europe and the North Sea. While Steadfast Noon is an established recurring exercise, this year's iteration will be taking place amid heightened tensions with Russia after President Vladimir Putin threatened the use of nuclear weapons as a response to the success of recent Ukrainian counteroffensives. Moscow is also projected to hold its own annual nuclear exercises any day now.
View Quote
It is also necessary to note that the only NATO-member states that have organic nuclear weapons capabilities are the United States, the United Kingdom, and France. Beyond that, under the NATO nuclear-sharing arrangement, B61 nuclear gravity bombs are housed in Belgium, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands, and can be employed by their respective tactical jet aircraft. Non-strategic NATO combat jets capable of carrying nuclear weapons include the F-15E, F-35, F-16, and Tornado. They are referred to as Dual-Capable Aircraft (DCAs) in NATO parlance
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I believe this ratio is just for the Kherson offensive campaign.  The ratios have definitely been closer during certain phases of the war.  I'd be very surprised if the Ukrainians have under 20k military deaths.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#27]

View All Quotes

I don't think the Ukrainians were prepared for an assault of that size at all (moderate though it was). Maybe they were TDF, or maybe they were in a thinly held sector.

I didn't see any vehicles, any AT weapons, and the defenses were primarily the two bunkers right on the road, and some other rather sad looking dugouts off the road. They didn't even appear to have vehicles of any kind, and their positions didn't have any depth (meaning they had nowhere else behind to run TO).

So yeah, considering the Russians had 1 or more tanks and 2 BMPs + dismounts, that went about how I would expect.

Without ATGMs, mortars, or artillery to call upon, I also couldn't reasonably expect they would just remain there, in a badly prepared position, taking direct fire from tanks.

It happened outside of Sperne,

48.8126009365159, 38.26028569722111

link

Didn't look that impressive, you ask me.

One tank in SBF.  Two BMPs drop off about three pax.  A squad of UA run like hell except for three WIA, 1-2 look to be executed.

Any sort of AT capability would have crushed this attack, but zero is what they seem to have had.  Looked like a recon in force or probe.  A lot of artillery supporting very little maneuver.

It's modern war.  There are no fair fights.

video

Im not going to lie...this TERRA unit is fascinating at several levels. And these are the best fighting positions Ive seen in this war.

????????? TERRA: ???????? ??????? ??? ?? ??????????. ??????? 1.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd imagine with radio direction finding, Ukraine could locate exact Russian positions and their command posts if they are constantly chatting in the open on Baofengs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Again with the non-splody ammo storage showing that a great deal of wishful thinking was involved.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmmm
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#32]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Link for the video???
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Link for the video???

I wouldn't describe it in quite such awe-struck terms. It wasn't Carentan or anything like that.

The Russians had 1-2 tanks and 2 BMPs, the Ukrainians got tired of taking tank rounds to the face, and so decided they would leave since they didn't have any means to respond. The 3-4 guys who were wounded or elected to remain behind for whatever reason were killed or captured, when the 6 or so Russians decided the clear the trench line (really more of a wadi/arroyo/drainage that had some fighting positions dug here and there).

I couldn't even tell if the few Ukrainians remaining were armed at that point (they may have been hurt or lost their weapons in the initial tank fire...can't say as I blame them too much if that is so).

The Russians were WELL within ATGM and possibly AT rocket range, and 6 or so dismounts is NOT enough to clear and secure a trench like that (if you want to hold it for any length of time). What stuck out to me is the video matches with what we have all heard, that the Russians don't have enough dismounts to fill out their BTGs.

The only other lesson I might remind anyone about from that video would be...remember that you don't have to be STANDING ON something important in order to control it. In fact sometimes it is better if you are well clear of it, because it tends to draw all kinds of fire.

The Ukrainians for whatever reason had their sandbag bunkers right on the road, and the only other "terrain" I could see was the ditch/wadi nearby, or the road embankment itself. Must have been pretty flat, because the Russians drove right up and started blasting the bunkers and dugouts.

ETA: Dick Winters level of tactical prowess on either side, it was not.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Am I recalling correctly that those hypersonic missiles are very difficult to shoot down because they are moving so fast?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
I'd imagine with radio direction finding, Ukraine could locate exact Russian positions and their command posts if they are constantly chatting in the open on Baofengs.
View Quote

With the right equipment less than one minute until the arty shells arrive.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Wish granted.

View Quote

Spiral out. Keep going.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Am I recalling correctly that those hypersonic missiles are very difficult to shoot down because they are moving so fast?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

No more so than any other MRBM..

It's probably traveling slower by a fair margin than if they had used it in a ballistic arc.
If there was something in theater that could zap a MRBM in the boost phase, there might be some advantage to the kinzal.
There isn't.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Spiral out. Keep going.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Wish granted.

Spiral out. Keep going.

Says the resident tool head.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#38]
What HIMARS doing?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#40]
"Protests" in Moldova.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#41]
20 mins
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#42]
The cassette is playing! 🔥
Not a pleasant feeling!
I will say from my own experience.
During this, you squeeze into the ground!

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]
11 "Shahed-136" Kamikaze Drones DESTROYED

Within an hour - from 9:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on October 16, Air Force soldiers destroyed 9 kamikaze drones.

In addition, there is also good news from the Air Defense Forces of other components of the Defense Forces. One "shaheed" was destroyed by units of the National Guard and the Terrodefense Forces

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

From what I’m understanding, they’re recruiting pilots around the world
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:

From what I’m understanding, they’re recruiting pilots around the world
View Quote

Wonder what an enterprising volunteer pilot would fetch for flying immediately to the nearest UA airbase and turning it over. I imagine a good bit more than Russia can pay
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Interesting. What does that do? Is it a guided torpedo with a warhead? Or just some sensors? Can it fight off RU killer dolphins?
View Quote

Odessa Ass Bandit has qualified on SCUBA. Dolphin poon is extra points.

Russian sailors and longshoremen should be wary.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#48]

I don't believe those were used directly against Israel before.  This is probably also a good testing opportunity for some companies working against ballistic missiles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackHoleSon:

That kind of support would certainly help change the playing field overnight.  I can only imagine most everyone backing Ukraine is pushing up some timetables to get the new air defense systems up for Ukraine sooner rather than later now.

The missiles Iran just announced, are those the type that have been launched at Israel before? I'm curious as to where Israel's position is. Is this a "We shoot these down with high success so here is some tech" or is it "This is our chance to test out if what we have been developing to shoot them down before we have to use our homeland as a testing ground"?

I don't believe those were used directly against Israel before.  This is probably also a good testing opportunity for some companies working against ballistic missiles.

Also a good opportunity for Israel to get access to data on the missiles in return for help against them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:

From what I'm understanding, they're recruiting pilots around the world
View Quote

Wow if they are doing that then their training schools must really suck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#50]
That video was sent to me earlier. I cannot figure out what hit the windshield.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2838 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top