Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3128 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:

Being the world arms dealer would imply we were actually selling arms rather than giving them away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

World Arms Dealer != World Police

Try to keep up.

Being the world arms dealer would imply we were actually selling arms rather than giving them away.

We’re giving away large amounts of cheap 155mm.  We’re giving away HMMVs, Stingers, HARMS, and HARPOONS made for the Cold War 30+ years ago.  We’re giving away M113s made 50 years ago armed with M2s made 80 years ago.  Many of these items we would've literally had to pay to dispose of.  The only “big ticket” items are GMLRS and to an extent Javelin, and when you estimate how much we’re probably supplying of those it’s pocket change.
There are other means of payment besides money.  For one, the free advertising of our weapons systems literally dismantling our main arms competitor will pay the cost of the donated munitions a hundred times over.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Sort of like how the combination of the 1940 "Two Ocean Navy Act" and economic sanctions led the Japanese Government to approve the Pearl Harbor attack?  Interesting...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
In terms of whether Ukraine is impinging on the US Ability to fuck the Chicoms over Taiwan, the answer appears to be the opposite - its leading to an across the board increase in munitions purchases.

US now looking to purchase over 1,100 JASSM/LRASM air launched stealth cruise missiles per year:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjM0Jh-UoAEg4Ea?format=jpg&name=large

Likely other long range precision fires weapons will be bumped up as well:

I posted same in my arty thread. Short term yes, it’s having an effect but looks like 2024 or 2025 production for most stuff is back in business. Taiwanese orders are still delayed for 2022. While Taiwan invasion in 2023 is theoretically possible per PACOM it’s not highly likely. China still has the finish its 4th carrier, make more amphib, etc. but Xi appears to be putting out feelers to countries about how they’d respond to US sanctions. Russia new pipeline to China isn’t set to complete until 2025. Congress continues CRs into FY 24 will probably create probs but that’s not a Ukraine issue. Duration of the war and timing could be issue or not, time will tell I guess.

With B21 set to begin flying next year, it's an interesting question of whether our buildup is deterring China, or creating a sort of "it's now or never" panic for them to accelerate their timeline to go before we're fully tooled up.

Sort of like how the combination of the 1940 "Two Ocean Navy Act" and economic sanctions led the Japanese Government to approve the Pearl Harbor attack?  Interesting...

Depends on politics way above our heads.  If we can convince the Chinese that a *cough*post-Russian*cough* world is to everyone’s benefit, and there can be a peaceful coexistence between the West and China, there may be no need.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Yea, that is Rapid Dragon.  Though I'm currently making a post it note of a container using GMLRS missiles that drop in a large box with retarding parachutes.
Kick it out at 40,000 feet and let 'em rip.
View Quote

Yes. Thank you and all the other posters that followed up.
It's a fascinating concept.

Totally unrelated question: What types of cargo planes does Ukraine operate?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Erno86:
I'm just wondering that if Russian sabotage terrorists --- sympathetic to Putin ---- were responsible for the intentional and targeted rifle shooting of a transformer substation in North Carolina yesterday; which has thousands of people still out of power.

If so...I believe it marks a major escalation of the war in Ukraine.

Experts claim...that if 20 certain substations are sabotaged and destroyed in the U.S....the entire power grid in the country will be blacked-out.
View Quote
My mother and father in-laws both live in that county.  You aren't the only folks asking that question . . .

I can tell you this - the attitude among the folks that I've discussed this with in the circles that I run in are rather apocalyptic.  If it can be proven that Russia is hitting US infrastructure the gloves may come off completely.  I'm not saying nukes but I AM saying NATO will respond in a way that Russia will not find at all pleasant.  Put it this way - it might take a bit longer to get the lights back on in Moscow than it would in Kyiv for sure - especially if no one is willing to sell them LPTs due to risk of US sanctions.

If there are any SVR/FSB/GRU trolls here please take note and report to your masters that this is an INCREDIBLY bad idea.  It isn't escalation - it's a widening of the battlespace.  And that will spell the end of Russia as it now exists.

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

The US is *also* supplying Abrams to Poland. Poland's not playing around.

ETA: The Abrams deal doesn't include tech transfer, just selling them A2 SEP.V3 in considerable numbers and updating their existing hulls.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Originally Posted By stgdz:
How did the us lose our on supplying Abraham's to Poland?  I know the krab is a.joint venture between sk and Poland but do they have any more sharing?

Wonder if they will send them to Ukraine.

The US is *also* supplying Abrams to Poland. Poland's not playing around.

ETA: The Abrams deal doesn't include tech transfer, just selling them A2 SEP.V3 in considerable numbers and updating their existing hulls.

The Poles are buying so much that I wonder if they’re really doing a shadow buy for Ukraine.  UA gets the SK stuff and Poland the US stuff.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Capta:
The Poles are buying so much that I wonder if they’re really doing a shadow buy for Ukraine.  UA gets the SK stuff and Poland the US stuff.
View Quote

I ain't know nuff 'bout dat. But when the Poles be rockin' 1000 K2-PLs and 300 M1A2 SEP.V3 Abrams, I bet all those Leopard 2s, PT-91s, T-72s and other stuff make their way a bit further south.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Fucking BLAMMO.  Big and accurate, I wonder what those were.
View Quote

Yup. Those two guys that made it to the road missed it by THAT much. But they got rained on by legs and torso pieces!
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

I’ve never wanted to visit a foreign country in my life as much as I’d like to see a post victory Ukraine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Haha thanks. Despite thinking we are counting the days, life goes by fast. I guess when your life is on hold to some extents, time isn't waiting for you. Enjoy it while you can!

I decided to get out the cold on my day of walking the streets. Time for a Cappuccino and Chocolate Macaroon in a new cafe that opened... Little Mariupol.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221206_143854_jpg-2625644.JPG

I’ve never wanted to visit a foreign country in my life as much as I’d like to see a post victory Ukraine.

It's amazing not much has changed despite the war. Granted we are not on the frontline and do have attacks, but the things that make it great still exist. I'm surprised to see new businesses appear when others pack up. Life goes on stubbornly. Patriotism is at an all time high.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Totally unrelated question: What types of cargo planes does Ukraine operate?
View Quote

Antonovs, mostly. Given they build them there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Germany, ooff

Germany backtracks on defense spending promises made after Ukraine invasion
Days after Russia invaded Ukraine, Chancellor Olaf Scholz pledged to meet long ignored military spending targets of 2 percent of GDP.
https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-backtracks-on-defense-spending-promise-warns-about-delays-ukraine-war/

BERLIN   Germany on Monday walked back its promise to swiftly raise defense spending to at least 2 percent of its economic output   breaching the key commitment made days after Russia's invasion of Ukraine to become a more serious military force.

Berlin also sought to play down internal warnings about delays to a flagship procurement of new fighter jets.

During a government press conference, Chief Spokesperson Steffen Hebestreit scaled down expectations for Germany's defense spending, telling journalists that the 2 percent target would be missed not only this year, but also likely next year: "It's still open whether that [goal] will be achieved" in 2023, Hebestreit said, adding that his "cautious expectation" was that Germany would still meet the target within this legislative period, which ends in 2025.

Last month, it had already emerged that Germany will likely miss its 2 percent target in 2023 as the regular defense budget of about  50 billion will slightly shrink by about  300 million. Only a comparably small first tranche of a massive  100 billion special military upgrading fund is expected to be paid out.

View Quote

After 3000 pages in this thread, hopefully this is no surprise for anyone here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Good article by CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/06/europe/russia-ukraine-strikes-analysis-intl/index.html

"This is the most damaging side effect of how public the exhaustion of Russia's military has been: There is no real "fear factor" left. State TV commentators liked to muse months ago that Russia has thus far been fighting with "gloves on," but it is clear the gloves have long come off, their opponent has learned to duck their punches, and also brought a knife to the ring."

Ouch...
View Quote

And brass knucks.
And a ball gag.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Warms my heart.

View Quote

That's just great to see.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Yup. Those two guys that made it to the road missed it by THAT much. But they got rained on by legs and torso pieces!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
We’re giving away large amounts of cheap 155mm.  We’re giving away HMMVs, Stingers, HARMS, and HARPOONS made for the Cold War 30+ years ago.  We’re giving away M113s made 50 years ago armed with M2s made 80 years ago.  Many of these items we would've literally had to pay to dispose of.  The only “big ticket” items are GMLRS and to an extent Javelin, and when you estimate how much we’re probably supplying of those it’s pocket change.
There are other means of payment besides money.  For one, the free advertising of our weapons systems literally dismantling our main arms competitor will pay the cost of the donated munitions a hundred times over.
View Quote

Yes, and... ISR

Nobody on the fucking planet has our networks, physical plant, assets, satellites and infrastructure, and the closest competitor compares to our C4I like the closest competitor does to our defense budget.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

That's just great to see.
View Quote

Very few countries earn my respect but Ukraine and the Ukrainian people have earned my sincerest respect.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#16]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjUNiJoWABgEYmE?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjUNiW1WAAsQVz8?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Crazy times, we are getting near real time informations with just a few mouseclicks of an ongoing war in a quality that was impossible to obtain for a military 50 years ago.

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

That could be done easily with a Cresent wrench. Quietly remove the coolant drain plugs
View Quote

A whole bunch of russian people are perfectly fine with invade/murder/rape/pillage/genocide Ukraine as long as it is not bothering them. I want them to really understand that at any moment Ukraine could plunge them into cold darkness and drop bombs on their heads, because their leaders won't leave Ukraine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
I hope the Poles help Western Europe precisely as much as Western Europe helped the Poles in WW2.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjUNiJoWABgEYmE?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjUNiW1WAAsQVz8?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Have it drop leaflets showing Putin and his creatures as “cocks” for Xi Jinping. It’s even kind of true.
View Quote

Fill it with the personal papers/passports of the RU KIA and sprinkle them around the Kremlin or Red Square. That would sent 2 important messages.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting verbage by the SOS
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

Agree plus also you start effectively hitting bases deep inside Russia they are going to get backed into a corner and do something drastic. They aren't going to be like oh well lets talk now that you destroyed half of our bomber fleet. They will launch and use the excuse that the attacks are leaving them defenseless. Especially as we are now countering most of their cruise missiles.
View Quote

That is possible. There ARE folks in Russia now that have been demanding nukes being used.

It's possible that Putin is a "moderate" among those assholes.

Still, we should give the UA ATACM's with some caveats about not being used on Russia proper.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Fill it with the personal papers/passports of the RU KIA and sprinkle them around the Kremlin or Red Square. That would sent 2 important messages.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Have it drop leaflets showing Putin and his creatures as “cocks” for Xi Jinping. It’s even kind of true.

Nobody would believe they are real.

RU people are heavily indoctrinated over decades.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#25]
More explosions here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Try to keep up.

If I’m a nation state looking to acquire arms, they sure aren’t going to be Russian or by proxy Chinese.

Makes you wonder now how all those countries feel who’s nemesis buys western arms vs their Soviet monkey models.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Russia confessed to damage to only 2 bombers.  I always assume they are lying, so there must have been damage to at least 3 bombers.

Consider also:  

- bombers are fragile, aluminum-skinned craft, highly dependent on hydraulics and wires.  It wouldn’t take much in the way of shrapnel to knock a bomber out of commission, at least temporarily.

While this drone (whatever model) was no HIMARS warhead, remember what simple tungsten alloy BBs did to that Russian truck:  they sailed right through the truck’s steel leaf springs.  The drone fragments probably damaged numerous bombers.

My bet is both bombers to the left in that photo are down and out for repairs for a while.
View Quote

Hopefully, some "golden BB's" hit numerous bombers and the Russians wont know until hydraulics goes out during landing or take off.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
View Quote

I don’t like that
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

Agree plus also you start effectively hitting bases deep inside Russia they are going to get backed into a corner and do something drastic. They aren't going to be like oh well lets talk now that you destroyed half of our bomber fleet. They will launch and use the excuse that the attacks are leaving them defenseless. Especially as we are now countering most of their cruise missiles.
View Quote

I get the distinct impression the russians who have any idea of what is going on, are pretty scared of what nato definitely is going to do if russia uses a nuke. And now that they have been at war with Ukraine, they no longer have any doubt of how badly nato will humiliate them. They would no longer have enough of a military to defend themselves, there would  be a civil war, and it would be very violent as the average people take revenge on all of the government people and their family members.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

That's deliberate messaging to Putin that we're going to pressure Ukraine to give up Crimea.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Nobody would believe they are real.

RU people are heavily indoctrinated over decades.
View Quote

But they are not stupid. They know the war is NOT going well. They could easily check to see the names exist and were on a mobilization roster.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

That's deliberate messaging to Putin that we're going to pressure Ukraine to give up Crimea.
View Quote

Are you surprised?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

If I’m a nation state looking to acquire arms, they sure aren’t going to be Russian or by proxy Chinese.

Makes you wonder now how all those countries feel who’s nemesis buys western arms vs their Soviet monkey models.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Try to keep up.

I think the monkey model thing has been put to bed.  It was Russian cope for how poorly their stuff faired in Iraq.  Their supposed  top tier stuff is just as shit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Are you surprised?
View Quote
Bullshit like that is going to get thousands of Ukrainians killed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
View Quote

I know. :(
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#36]
My mother and father in-laws both live in that county.  You aren't the only folks asking that question . . .

I can tell you this - the attitude among the folks that I've discussed this with in the circles that I run in are rather apocalyptic.  If it can be proven that Russia is hitting US infrastructure the gloves may come off completely.  I'm not saying nukes but I AM saying NATO will respond in a way that Russia will not find at all pleasant.  Put it this way - it might take a bit longer to get the lights back on in Moscow than it would in Kyiv for sure - especially if no one is willing to sell them LPTs due to risk of US sanctions.

If there are any SVR/FSB/GRU trolls here please take note and report to your masters that this is an INCREDIBLY bad idea.  It isn't escalation - it's a widening of the battlespace.  And that will spell the end of Russia as it now exists.

View All Quotes
I'm just wondering that if Russian sabotage terrorists --- sympathetic to Putin ---- were responsible for the intentional and targeted rifle shooting of a transformer substation in North Carolina yesterday; which has thousands of people still out of power.

Experts claim...that if 20 certain substations are sabotaged and destroyed in the U.S....the entire power grid in the country will be blacked-out.

I'm not so sure.  I bet we would brush it under the rug, i don't think we would have balls enough to say you crossed the line and these are the consequences.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Are you surprised?

Tens of thousands.  It is all so foolish and short sighted.  even if we stop pumping in material before they get Crimea back, telegraphing it is the worst idea.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Are you surprised?
View Quote

Not really
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

How about Russia giving up Moscow and moving their capital to bum-fuck Siberia.

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By woozman:

I don't like that
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By woozman:

I don't like that
yer that looks like a line to me
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I've seen it reported as "There are 57,000 substations in the US. If the right 9 interconnecting substations were wrecked, massive areas of the country would be without power for 18 months."

No, I don't know which 9. Nor do I want to.

Originally Posted By Banditman:

That could be done easily with a Cresent wrench. Quietly remove the coolant drain plugs

That would make a heck of an oil mess, but the likely result is that the transformers begin to overheat and relaying or a controller would take them out of service before damage occured. That's not the ONLY possibility, but things are sort of designed that way. Low Oil and High Bank Temp alarms are a thing. If nothing (or no one) was paying attention, you might get some damage from internal faults after the oil was all gone and the bank were left in service, but that would be a really shitty way to be running a power system.

Bombs and guns and suicide drones do the job better. As Russia is proving every day. Faster, surer, and impossible to fix.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By stone-age:
I get the distinct impression the russians who have any idea of what is going on, are pretty scared of what nato definitely is going to do if russia uses a nuke. And now that they have been at war with Ukraine, they no longer have any doubt of how badly nato will humiliate them.
View Quote

Unless Russia is able to kill the entire fucking planet, they will come out worse than they go in, if they launch any nukes.

The "west" has pretty much already told them that they're playing to maybe keep what toys they have left - they get nothing new out of this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Blinken’s messaging may be more to placate the Russians than to shut down any moves by the Ukrainians.

Trying to see the positive in it, but I’m not convinced that this administration won’t fuck things up.

I hope and pray that Ukraine gets all their land back and Russia is ground into dust.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Yeah, after seeing this I was thinking the Tu-160 got some damage.

More images coming in seem to show it may have been a Tu-141

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjULU4SWAAA_xhy?format=jpg&name=900x900

View Quote

The "wreckage" of the "drone" seems rather suspect to me.  I can't imagine something made of metal, weighing several thousand pounds, and moving at 400+ mph coming to a rest in less than 200 meters after impacting reinforced concrete that is 20" + thick and only breaking into two large pieces.  Something ain't quite right!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Sure seems like it.

I thought locking down access to Crimea and kicking the rus out of the rest of Ukraine, then cleaning up Crimea made sense from a force concentration standpoint.  But with fjb seemingly offering up Crimea as a consolation prize I think Ukraine better take it sooner than later if it's within their capability.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like they missed one. Apparently the mopeds are back in town. So much for cold weather being an issue.

Пиздец
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:22:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dracster] [#48]
This was announced a couple months ago. Excalibur in the Czech Republic has started refurbing 120 T-72M for the Ukrainian Armed Forces, paid for by the US and Netherlands. Supposedly, this is the upgrade package:

T-72 Avenger - modernization of T-72M1 tank to 3rd gen standard by Czech company Excalibur Army, introduced in 2022. Includes most of Scarab modernization and more. Addition of 196 reactive armour segments that add equivalent of 400mm steel protection. New optical and electronical targeting system, modernized night vision Optistrade for all three crew members. New laser rangefinder and improved commander's and driver's sight. Night vision system that works in full passive mode without using infrared light. Improved thermal sight with ballistic computer. Periscopical sights with anti-laser protection. Modernized powerpack with increased power (840 HP). Complete modernization of driver's cockpit including digital interface. New internal and external system of communication, digital radio enabling encrypted communication. New fire protection system.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#49]
1 hr.

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3128 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top