Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3269 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ludder093:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the part about involuntary submarines....

How Ukraine Took Back Snake Island from Russian Military
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: general_cluster] [#4]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

I don't think a Russian could tell the truth if you held a gun to his head.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Originally Posted By NE223:

Has there ever been an instance in the last 100 years when the Russians didn't lie?

I don't think a Russian could tell the truth if you held a gun to his head.

There was a great podcast on this that I cannot find now.  I think Peter Robison (author of 'tear down this wall' speech) was the guest IIRC.  Shortly after WWII, a branch of the state department assigned someone to see if others were having as much trouble with the Russians not keeping agreements and misrepresenting things as they were.  Discovered that a loose relationship with the truth was the rule of the road for them.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:

@AlabamaFan64 is that what I think it is?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NEXT23:
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

Unusual choice of cutlery…..

@AlabamaFan64 is that what I think it is?

Looks like it to me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Point blank tank assault.

View Quote

Fucking nightmare material there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Easterner:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif

They are doing this since March/April 2022.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#8]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

They are doing this since March/April 2022.  

View Quote

@4xGM300m

I assume the meme means "I can't believe it", "Well why not"  

Surely this time it will work!
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Surely this time it will work!]
View Quote

The guys who tried it earlier are most likely dead.

4/4/2022

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#10]
Originally Posted By general_cluster:

There was a great podcast on this that I cannot find now.  I think Peter Robison (author of 'tear down this wall' speech) was the guest IIRC.  Shortly after WWII, a branch of the state department assigned someone to see if others were having as much trouble with the Russians not keeping agreements and misrepresenting things as they were.  Discovered that a loose relationship with the truth was the rule of the road for them.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By general_cluster:

A reasonable guess is that was either a description of the influence of Kennan’s “Long Telegram,” or an internal response to validate it.  Either way, I’d be curious about the origin of that, too.

In his “Background” (Part 2) section of the telegram, sent Feb. 1946 from Moscow to DC, Kennan wrote this, which is insightful (emphasis not in original):

Finally we have the unsolved mystery as to who, if anyone, in this great land actually receives accurate and unbiased information about outside world. In atmosphere of oriental secretiveness and conspiracy which pervades this Government, possibilities for distorting or poisoning sources and currents of information are infinite. The very disrespect of Russians for objective truth--indeed, their disbelief in its existence--leads them to view all stated facts as instruments for furtherance of one ulterior purpose or another. There is good reason to suspect that this Government is actually a conspiracy within a conspiracy; and I for one am reluctant to believe that Stalin himself receives anything like an objective picture of outside world.

This, along with the rest of his essay/telegram, really caused a ruckus in DC and in Russian relations.  The whole thing is a fascinating read even today:

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/coldwar/documents/episode-1/kennan.htm

Anyone could use that as a guide to interpreting Russian foreign policy from 1922 right through 2023 and not be misled.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3647091-russian-fleet-loses-another-two-flagships-intelligence-source.html

Russian fleet loses another two flagships - intelligence source
05.01.2023 17:00
Two major vessels of the Russian Navy’s Northern Fleet – the heavy nuclear cruiser Admiral Nakhimov and heavy aircraft-carrying cruiser Admiral  Kuznetsov of the Soviet Union Fleet – are deemed inoperable.
This was reported by Guildhall referring to a source in Ukraine’s intelligence community, according to Ukrinform.

“The heavy nuclear cruiser Admiral Nakhimov of the Russian Navy’s Southern Fleet, which is under repair, will not be put into operation on time. It has been established that of the elements of on-board equipment, only the navigation system operates properly, while none of the other units are ready,” the source said.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

They are setting up a precedent that any truck is fair game to take out, like they did with ambulances.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sq40:
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3647091-russian-fleet-loses-another-two-flagships-intelligence-source.html

Two major vessels of the Russian Navy’s Northern Fleet – the heavy nuclear cruiser Admiral Nakhimov and heavy aircraft-carrying cruiser Admiral  Kuznetsov of the Soviet Union Fleet – are deemed inoperable.
This was reported by Guildhall referring to a source in Ukraine’s intelligence community, according to Ukrinform.

“The heavy nuclear cruiser Admiral Nakhimov of the Russian Navy’s Southern Fleet, which is under repair, will not be put into operation on time. It has been established that of the elements of on-board equipment, only the navigation system operates properly, while none of the other units are ready,” the source said.
View Quote

Later on in the link:
"At the same time, the report says the crews of both ships have been formed anyway. The size of the crew of the aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov of the Soviet Union Fleet was brought to wartime alert. The crew of the heavy nuclear cruiser Admiral Nakhimov has also been formed and is preparing to arrive on board."

Sounds like it is a convenient way to reconstitute 61st Naval Infantry Brigade.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

The Bradley would be a huge step up from the M113 and most BMPs and BTRs, for sure, but the lawyer answer is "it depends".

Going on the offense is hard, even with the Russians being as shitty as they are. Having a more heavily armed and armored IFV with tracked mobility (vs. wheeled) seems pretty important in Ukraine, on the offense, in the Spring time. And the Puma is apparently a gold plated turd, and the Germans already sold off most of the surplus Marders they might have considered selling (SLOWLY) before now.

But getting the most out of the Brads would require a lot of the Ukrainians...not that they are incapable to operate them, but they have the M242 and the TOW, plus a multitude of other subsystems that would need to be trained and maintained.

For example: if we aren't giving them US radios or BMS, then that takes their capability level down a notch right there. Or, even if the donated Brads were equipped with the latest thermal sights like the US use, but ALL of the rest of that Brigade didn't have enough NV/thermal (a certain % of all dismounts and other vehicles), then is it all that helpful?

Then add on top of that just the gas and ammo (and do the weapons on the Brads have any cross-over with other weapons in a particular Ukrainian Brigade?) Not insurmountable and I am sure the Ukrainians are accustomed to making-do, but a huge pain in the ass.

I think the US was reluctant to consider Brads before, not because of a real fear of escalation, but because it is a whole other ballgame, time and cost-wise, to field and equip Brads. FMS cases for countries not at war take YEARS by themselves.

I think we've all been surprised by just how fucking dumb and stubborn the Russians have been though, so now this many months later, we might be considering Brads for Ukraine for that reason alone.

So, Brads good? Yes, certainly. But "GAME CHANGA!"? No, probably not. Look at what the Ukrainians were able to do with a menagerie of MRAP-type and HMMWV type vehicles (and fucking minivans for medevac!) the last time they wanted to go on the offense--the timing was right and they made it work. Brads might have been better but they went to war with the army they had, not the army they might have wished to have...hey wait a minute!

Look how little attention is paid to the M109 Paladins being donated from several countries; it's the most numerous type of SPG donated, but hardly anyone talks about it. It's capable but not sexy.

I personally hope the Ukrainians BUY AMERICAN as much as they want. They might be getting "free samples" today, but they know what they like and what works for them, and these things have a way of turning into 10 year maintenance and spare parts contracts!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

This would be awesome if it happened.  

How feasible would it be for a stream of Bradleys to pull off a major flanking maneuver around and set up an eventual retaking of Mariupol, for example?  Or what about a lightning push through Crimea, not unlike when Patton stormed through Sicily?  

Of course, it doesn't have to be those locations; any deep push toward retaking land in places where the Orcs are spread thin would be great.  I understand them not wanting to overextend themselves in an offensive, but Ukrainians have proven that they have the guts and ambition to make a move like this, haven't they?

The Bradley would be a huge step up from the M113 and most BMPs and BTRs, for sure, but the lawyer answer is "it depends".

Going on the offense is hard, even with the Russians being as shitty as they are. Having a more heavily armed and armored IFV with tracked mobility (vs. wheeled) seems pretty important in Ukraine, on the offense, in the Spring time. And the Puma is apparently a gold plated turd, and the Germans already sold off most of the surplus Marders they might have considered selling (SLOWLY) before now.

But getting the most out of the Brads would require a lot of the Ukrainians...not that they are incapable to operate them, but they have the M242 and the TOW, plus a multitude of other subsystems that would need to be trained and maintained.

For example: if we aren't giving them US radios or BMS, then that takes their capability level down a notch right there. Or, even if the donated Brads were equipped with the latest thermal sights like the US use, but ALL of the rest of that Brigade didn't have enough NV/thermal (a certain % of all dismounts and other vehicles), then is it all that helpful?

Then add on top of that just the gas and ammo (and do the weapons on the Brads have any cross-over with other weapons in a particular Ukrainian Brigade?) Not insurmountable and I am sure the Ukrainians are accustomed to making-do, but a huge pain in the ass.

I think the US was reluctant to consider Brads before, not because of a real fear of escalation, but because it is a whole other ballgame, time and cost-wise, to field and equip Brads. FMS cases for countries not at war take YEARS by themselves.

I think we've all been surprised by just how fucking dumb and stubborn the Russians have been though, so now this many months later, we might be considering Brads for Ukraine for that reason alone.

So, Brads good? Yes, certainly. But "GAME CHANGA!"? No, probably not. Look at what the Ukrainians were able to do with a menagerie of MRAP-type and HMMWV type vehicles (and fucking minivans for medevac!) the last time they wanted to go on the offense--the timing was right and they made it work. Brads might have been better but they went to war with the army they had, not the army they might have wished to have...hey wait a minute!

Look how little attention is paid to the M109 Paladins being donated from several countries; it's the most numerous type of SPG donated, but hardly anyone talks about it. It's capable but not sexy.

I personally hope the Ukrainians BUY AMERICAN as much as they want. They might be getting "free samples" today, but they know what they like and what works for them, and these things have a way of turning into 10 year maintenance and spare parts contracts!

Good points all around. I especially agree that logistical matters could be a serious obstacle, even if Ukraine receives top-notch Bradleys and training before deployment.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#17]
And Here we go!

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Yes ammo dumps being destroyed have been the demise of any russian advance since early summer. It has hurt them the most, they cannot keep up with the logistical damage HIMARS are doing them. Russians have been housing soldiers at the places they store ammo also.   Stopping HIMARS is on the top of the list and the upper brass are screaming about it.  So using the S400/500 has been discussed but my belief is that they (s400) are not quite as dependable as the russians say so they do not want no further embarrassment/future export sales by proving the S400 is useless agaisnt HIMARS. I was just stating my  opinion on why they have not yet choose to move those systems into the region.
View Quote

I agree
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By vahog:

Later on in the link:
"At the same time, the report says the crews of both ships have been formed anyway. The size of the crew of the aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov of the Soviet Union Fleet was brought to wartime alert. The crew of the heavy nuclear cruiser Admiral Nakhimov has also been formed and is preparing to arrive on board."

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vahog:
Originally Posted By sq40:

Later on in the link:

Wouldn't surprise me if they use those crews as convenient places to put the sons of the rich and powerful for their “service”.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Wouldn't surprise me if they use those crews as convenient places to put the sons of the rich and powerful for their “service”.
View Quote

No need for that, the sons of the well connected people don't get drafted.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
current live stream

Russia Will Not Hold The Next UA Assault - Stream With UKRAINE MATTERS

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#23]

They wanted to send the Russians who survived in Makiivka to the offensive

According to Russian media, the full lists of those who died and survived after the arrival of HIMARS at vocational schools are being hidden.

“There is no information to which hospital the husband is being taken. In any case, they won’t tell you where they are being taken. For the third day they have been walking, many women write to me and call me - they also have no news, this, frankly, is very annoying. that the phones were broken, someone ended up in the hospital, lost his memory ... But at least make lists, bitch!

Also, according to Russian military correspondents, they may want to tritely get rid of surviving mobiles as unnecessary witnesses. This may be due to the upcoming visit of the governor of the Saratov region to "check the circumstances."

https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/58915

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember hearing about a website where Ukraine was posting pictures of the captured and killed Russians so families can identify them - does anybody have a link?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Russian army is really going downhill.

View Quote

Poor stupid Russians think they won WWII because of Stalin. But Stalin's stupid brutal policies probably increased their casualties by 50% although probably sped up the eventual victory. Russia defeated Germany because of American Lend Lease (now going to Ukraine).
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Fltot:
I remember hearing about a website where Ukraine was posting pictures of the captured and killed Russians so families can identify them - does anybody have a link?
View Quote

https://200rf.com/
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
And Here we go!

View Quote

I would rather the US made many fewer public announcements. Let the results be shown on the battlefield. The world will see an know soon enough. I'm not sure what the advantage is in making public announcements for every equipment delivery.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:40:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#28]
Armenia calls to ally Russia for help go unanswered while Azeri blockade of 120,000 Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh approaches 4 weeks and food and medicine run out.  Since December 12 Azeri "protestors" have closed the Lachin Corridor, the only mountain road between Armenia and the portion of the Nagorno-Karabakh still occupied by Armenia after losing the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war, which featured oil rich Azerbaijan using cutting edge Turkish and Israeli drones to devastate the Russian-equipped Armenian army with little difficulty.  The road is theoretically under the control of Russian peacekeepers.

https://asbarez.com/yerevan-urges-moscow-to-open-lachin-corridor-without-preconditions/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewelinaochab/2022/12/29/with-the-lachin-corridor-blockage-nagorno-karabakh-close-to-a-humanitarian-catastrophe/?sh=9c9bbe86c905
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Armenia calls to ally Russia for help go unanswered while Azeri blockade of 120,000 Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh approaches 4 weeks and food and medicine run out.  Since December 12 Azeri "protestors" have closed the Lachin Corridor, the only mountain road between Armenia and the portion of the Nagorno-Karabakh still occupied by Armenia after losing the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war, which featured oil rich Azerbaijan using cutting edge Turkish and Israeli drones to devastate the Russian-equipped Armenian army with little difficulty.  The road is theoretically under the control of Russian peacekeepers.

https://asbarez.com/yerevan-urges-moscow-to-open-lachin-corridor-without-preconditions/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewelinaochab/2022/12/29/with-the-lachin-corridor-blockage-nagorno-karabakh-close-to-a-humanitarian-catastrophe/?sh=9c9bbe86c905
View Quote

The CSTO is imploding.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

I would rather the US made many fewer public announcements. Let the results be shown on the battlefield. The world will see an know soon enough. I'm not sure what the advantage is in making public announcements for every equipment delivery.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
And Here we go!

I'd be okay with that as well, but there are other games being played politically unfortunately.  There could be other stuff arriving that is not being listed though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Just heard over the radio Putin just announced a cease fire for the Orthodox Christmas

Conformation?

UA better not stop and hit them even harder
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Just heard over the radio Putin just announced a cease fire for the Orthodox Christmas

Conformation?

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Point blank tank assault.

View Quote

I would have liked to watch him chase them once around the parking lot!
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

The CSTO is imploding.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:

The CSTO is imploding.

The report a couple of months ago that Armenia was looking to France to mediate between them and Azerbaijan/Turkey was big news that got mostly ignored.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:

Conformation?

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Needs help with the wind chill factor...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Surprise! Crews have been training for months.

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Rumored US will announce a paltry 50 Brads for Ukraine tomorrow.

Everyone now rushing around talking about “tanks” for Ukraine.  Might be a good time to review what actually constitutes a “tank.”  Here’s a helpful matrix: ;)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By woozman:
Putin orders ceasefire? FoxNews. Just more talk or any meaning? Can’t imagine it will change Ukraines actions
View Quote

Russia lies. Anything Putin says should be ignored and his forces should get hammered with enthusiasm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Wood is flammable too.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#43]
2 Patriot batteries.

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Jack67:
Rumored US will announce a paltry 50 Brads for Ukraine tomorrow.

Everyone now rushing around talking about “tanks” for Ukraine.  Might be a good time to review what actually constitutes a “tank.”  Here’s a helpful matrix: ;)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/2940D096-F753-448E-98F7-3A866B78B130_jpe-2661438.JPG
View Quote

lol, they gotta pump up those numbers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:45:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#45]
Challengers?

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#47]
2 Patriot batteries.

View Quote

Have they checked to make sure they work?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: klinc] [#49]
Surprise! Crews have been training for months.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FlrQEkcX0As8iI7?format=png&name=small
View Quote

hmm... *Ponders what aircraft they might already be training on*
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Spade:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spade:
2 Patriot batteries.

Oh, they work, this isn't the same system from Desert Storm.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3269 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top