Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3448 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ludder093:
I expect it to have a big impact. I just didn't think it'd reach the bridge. Looks like I was right unfortunately. They need ATACMS
View Quote

Yeah, we need to stop dribbling help in little increasing increments. That ATACMS could destroy supply lines for the russian troops and start starving them out now instead of later. I think cutting off the russian troops supplies is the best way to inflict harm on them with less Ukrainian casualties. The Ukranians can start taking ground after the russians are out of food and out of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Prime:

On February 3, at 11:30 p.m. outside Kyiv, the captain of the 4th omsbr of the 2nd AK of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, the commander of the UAV countermeasures platoon, Ihor "Bereg" Mangushev, was brought to the neurosurgery center in the city of Kadiivka (formerly Stakhanov), in the Luhansk region, with a blind gunshot wound to the head.

According to Russian resources, "Bereg" was wounded in the back with a short-barreled weapon (probably a 9-mm pistol) from close range in the occipital-parietal region of the head, the wound tract was downwards from the back at an angle of 45°. The condition of the wounded is stable and serious with a negative trend.

The third force

https://t.me/The3rdForceUA/14892
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

On February 3, at 11:30 p.m. outside Kyiv, the captain of the 4th omsbr of the 2nd AK of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, the commander of the UAV countermeasures platoon, Ihor "Bereg" Mangushev, was brought to the neurosurgery center in the city of Kadiivka (formerly Stakhanov), in the Luhansk region, with a blind gunshot wound to the head.

According to Russian resources, "Bereg" was wounded in the back with a short-barreled weapon (probably a 9-mm pistol) from close range in the occipital-parietal region of the head, the wound tract was downwards from the back at an angle of 45°. The condition of the wounded is stable and serious with a negative trend.

The third force

Ha, it wasn’t even a Ukrainian sniper, he got executed by someone on his own side.  I bet there’s an interesting story there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Balloon is popped
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Auto5guy:

According to army-technology.com  it's quite a bit more than that. Small hammer blows over time can do as much damage as a single big one.

"The GLSDB is equipped with an ultra-low fragmentation, carbon fibre case warhead with 57.6kg Insensitive Munition-certified explosive fill. The warhead case assembly is made of carbon fibre materials and is integrated with conical steel nose."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By p3590:

It's not big enough to drop the bridge anyway.  The average SDB is only 36lbs of explosive.  I'm pretty sure that's less, not more than the GMLRS rockets.

As far as the bridge, we've been down this path before: Thanh H a Bridge

GLSDB is going to be nice for ammo depots, POL, high value targets, etc.  

According to army-technology.com  it's quite a bit more than that. Small hammer blows over time can do as much damage as a single big one.

"The GLSDB is equipped with an ultra-low fragmentation, carbon fibre case warhead with 57.6kg Insensitive Munition-certified explosive fill. The warhead case assembly is made of carbon fibre materials and is integrated with conical steel nose."

There's more than one version of the SDB, and I'm far from expert about which one is getting bolted onto rocket motors.  I've seen articles that say GBU-39/B which is the small explosive fill/steel case one, though it could be the GBU-39A/B carbon fiber case/larger explosive weight one.

57.6kg is still mighty light to seriously damage a decently built bridge.  

I do agree that if they can rain them down regularly they can interdict traffic.  It's not like getting close enough to launch a couple will be enough though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
"Ukrainian kamikaze drone strikes Russian trenches near Bakhmut"
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Ha, it wasn’t even a Ukrainian sniper, he got executed by someone on his own side.  I bet there’s an interesting story there.
View All Quotes

The third force

Or a partisan.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Ah, this reminds me of something and I can’t believe we haven’t remembered it yet!

German POWs we’re held for asininly long times in Russia. The Russian guise of legality (and evil game they played with the POWs) was to convict people of a war crime (and more time) if they admitted to eating any livestock (chickens usually was the case, but ANY Russian food really).

So they would do all these benevolent interrogations, “ah you know our commissar just wants us to do these routine reports on what you did in the service. Just tell us so we can get out of here…”

“Uh huh, uh huh…. Man that must have sucked! You must have been starving! What’d you eat to survive??”

Ein chicken…. *bam* 5 more years in the gulag. Sheiße.

I hope someone is reminding russian POWs of that history. (Just reminding them, not actually doing that).
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#9]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Ukrainian intel has been pretty good. All the chatter says that there is going to be a huge Russian push on (or around) 2/24/23. Mobiks and redeploying forces from other areas, I think they could come up with 500K. I suspect their military is getting really thin in east Asia and northern Europe. Western media and politicians talk about a long-term conflict, but I don't think either side can sustain this war long term. Sanctions are going to leave Russian unable to generate large quantities of modern weapons systems, and the widespread destruction leaves Ukraine unable to generate any domestic economy. Manpower losses on both sides are really significant. Harder on the Russian side, but they have a larger pool to draw from in the first place, so it's unclear who's hurting more on a proportional basis, especially when Ukraine guards their casualty rates so effectively.

Ukrainian talking points say that 2023 is a critical year for them, and I'm inclined to agree. By this time next year, major efforts on both sides will settle the future state of the conflict. Russia will launch a gigantic wave against Ukraine and achieve their political objectives, leaving Ukraine with little more than partisans, saboteurs, and a hollowed force to defend what's left of their nation. Or, Ukraine will break the back of the invasion, take the cities of Donetsk and Luhansk (creating a symbolic victory), cut off Crimea leaving Russian forces there to take ferries out or die. That's my personal take, worth just a bit south of nothing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Originally Posted By torstin:

That article is the first I've heard about Russia massing 500,000 troops on the border.  Is that generally accepted as true?

I don't think they have 500,000 troops available. Even if they can muster that many, 60% or more will be support personnel. Their track record regarding massed troops has been spotty....

Ukrainian intel has been pretty good. All the chatter says that there is going to be a huge Russian push on (or around) 2/24/23. Mobiks and redeploying forces from other areas, I think they could come up with 500K. I suspect their military is getting really thin in east Asia and northern Europe. Western media and politicians talk about a long-term conflict, but I don't think either side can sustain this war long term. Sanctions are going to leave Russian unable to generate large quantities of modern weapons systems, and the widespread destruction leaves Ukraine unable to generate any domestic economy. Manpower losses on both sides are really significant. Harder on the Russian side, but they have a larger pool to draw from in the first place, so it's unclear who's hurting more on a proportional basis, especially when Ukraine guards their casualty rates so effectively.

Ukrainian talking points say that 2023 is a critical year for them, and I'm inclined to agree. By this time next year, major efforts on both sides will settle the future state of the conflict. Russia will launch a gigantic wave against Ukraine and achieve their political objectives, leaving Ukraine with little more than partisans, saboteurs, and a hollowed force to defend what's left of their nation. Or, Ukraine will break the back of the invasion, take the cities of Donetsk and Luhansk (creating a symbolic victory), cut off Crimea leaving Russian forces there to take ferries out or die. That's my personal take, worth just a bit south of nothing.

I think the west can quite easily sustain the war for as long as it takes.  Really the question is when does the west CHOOSE to put an end to this by supplying certain capabilities to Ukraine?
Russia is facing a coalition with more than 20 times their GDP, which can’t be attacked and which to a significant degree controls the tech resources Russia needs to reconstitute their first-line gear.  Russia still has some first-line gear but will increasingly rely on second-line gear and manpower.  Russia can sustain heavy manpower losses - until they can’t.
They can launch a literal “Chinese human wave attack” but they can’t achieve strategic surprise and they don’t have the logistics to sustain it.  The most likely outcome is limited, local success at catastrophic cost.  Even pro-Russian sources are starting to see this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Balloon is popped
View Quote

They could have done this with less concern of damage to people on the ground when it was over the western US.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#12]
Another clip from Russian talk shows, repeating the line "who needs the world if Russia is not in it?"

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, so their Getting PAC-3 missiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3LkVFqjq0
View Quote

Interesting development to give them the PAC-3s.  I read through the Wiki article and:

“The PAC-3 missile evolved from the Strategic Defense Initiative's ERINT missile, and so it is dedicated almost entirely to the anti-ballistic missile mission.”

Speculating - First, Patriot is there to plug gaps in capability for targets Ukraine can’t engage right now.  Iskander, KH-22/32, and probably S300.  Second, it’s probably there for nuclear ICBM/SRBM defense.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoIqAEZXgAUlBDK?format=jpg&name=small

View Quote

Someone should tell him that Ukraine has already struck Russian occupation forces in Crimea.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

Concur. This is a really, really bad idea from my perspective. They're giving the Russians exactly what they want by turning this into a positional meat grinder.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Zelensky-"No one will surrender Bakhmut. We will fight for as long as we can. We see Bakhmut as our fortress... "

Why? What is so great about Bakhmut that it is worth fighting to the death? I understand it's political value to russia. The only value I see to Ukraine is to prevent russia from having a PR victory.

Concur. This is a really, really bad idea from my perspective. They're giving the Russians exactly what they want by turning this into a positional meat grinder.

The enemy gets a vote and Russia can turn any battle into a meatgrinder.  Withdrawing from Bakhmut doesn’t prevent Russia from continuing the same tactics northwest of Bakhmut, or doing the same thing elsewhere.
The only question is whether it is more advantageous for Ukraine to fight in Bakhmut, or behind Bakhmut.  I don’t think anyone at our level has a good answer to that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Live feed from Fox of the impending balloon shootdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live/nsQaM3i885A?feature=share
View Quote

Does a balloon still count as an A2A kill?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ludder093] [#18]

That may end up being the only kill recorded by a Raptor
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Or a partisan.
View All Quotes

The third force

Or a partisan.

Pretty much all the partisan hits we’ve heard about have been bomb attacks because you don’t have to be there.
An execution sounds more like he crossed the wrong people, or was such a degenerate fuck that someone finally got tired of it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#21]
What Will Russia''s Economy Look Like in 5 Years
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
View Quote

Could have hosed all the mud off, that just seems inconsiderate. ;)

Pretty much all the partisan hits we’ve heard about have been bomb attacks because you don’t have to be there.
An execution sounds more like he crossed the wrong people, or was such a degenerate fuck that someone finally got tired of it.
View Quote

Execution, yes. He was almost certainly on his knees when shot in the back of the head with a handgun, based on medical report. “45deg downward trajectory at occ./parietal junction.”  Only one way that happens, basically.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Zelensky-"No one will surrender Bakhmut. We will fight for as long as we can. We see Bakhmut as our fortress... "

Why? What is so great about Bakhmut that it is worth fighting to the death? I understand it's political value to russia. The only value I see to Ukraine is to prevent russia from having a PR victory.

Probably, but they might have a plan to suck the russians in and destroy what comes in.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]

It's not big enough to drop the bridge anyway.  The average SDB is only 36lbs of explosive.  I'm pretty sure that's less, not more than the GMLRS rockets.

As far as the bridge, we've been down this path before: Thanh Hóa Bridge

View All Quotes
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoIqAEZXgAUlBDK?format=jpg&name=small

Riiiiiiiiiight...

They have the ability to do so much more because a year in to a war that they claim is for their national survival the russians have actually been holding back all this time.

Hope the orcs in Crimea are packing their bags because as soon as the GLSDB's arrive their precious little bridge is toast.
I don't know if the GLSDB has enough range to hit that bridge. I think it's still out of range.

It will seriously complicate things on the other side at least.  Red area is 150km range.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoEcyMaWYAIc1Bu?format=jpg&name=900x900

As far as the bridge, we've been down this path before: Thanh Hóa Bridge

I've seen demo videos of sdb's absolutely raping hardened aircraft shelters. They can't do this to a bridge?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I kind of want to see it hit with THAAD
View Quote

I did ablative coatings on THAAD missile components during the dev process many years ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
More Important than All the Tanks!
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By toaster:

I did ablative coatings on THAAD missile components during the dev process many years ago.
View Quote
cool
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Put 500 rounds of 20 Mike Mike through that motherfucker, then go collect the sensor package when it comes down into the ocean.

I wanted to see what happened if you flew one or two of the largest jets that can go supersonic past it at max speed.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#29]

I've seen demo videos of sdb's absolutely raping hardened aircraft shelters. They can't do this to a bridge?
View All Quotes

Fuzing.

With a shelter, it’s an enclosed chamber and the blast effect is contained and focused. A bridge is a thin sheet and if it explodes above or below, it does very little real damage to the structure as the blast dissipates.

Originally Posted By jhereg:

I wanted to see what happened if you flew one or two of the largest jets that can go supersonic past it at max speed.  

Lol, that was my thought, too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

View Quote
Would have been cool.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#31]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoJfcTbWYAM8UQB?format=jpg&name=360x360

View Quote
Its a good thing they used the F22 since its so stealthy. Not sure an F18 or F15 could have snuck up on a balloon. Can you imagine the embarrassment in losing a dogfight to a balloon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#32]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkzVDk5gpjI
View Quote
The video is not 100% correct. CV90 and Bradly use the same roadwheels.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit8472] [#33]
Its a good thing they used the F22 since its so stealthy. Not sure an F18 or F15 could have snuck up on a balloon. Can you imagine the embarrassment in losing a dogfight to a balloon.
View All Quotes

Thanks for paying your taxes! Just think what they could do if you paid your fair share.

ETA: maybe we could buy utensils and napkins for the break room. Maaaybe even some coffee…. Wild man, I know.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Ukraine will not win by staying in one place and slugging it out with russia unless they are taking literally 10 to 1 russian to ukranian KIA/WIA.  Russia is simply going to mobilize more people. Ukraine has already mobilized mostly everybody they have. A better way to look at this is to ask exactly how many Ukranian casualties is this piece of dirt worth?
View Quote

It is keeping a large number of Orcs in what is essentially a Free Fire Zone or a kill pocket.  The more they pull experienced personnel, and probably more important, logistical effort into the "Russian Somme Offensive", this is less support and logistics for other fronts.  Also, it is attritting the living crap out of the LPR/DNR forces, and ensures secondary lines of defense on other sectors are poorly manned, equipped and supplied.  With their main effort concentrated on the Balmut/Kremina axis, I am guessing there are serious capability gaps emerging in other sectors.  Unless the Russkies have a Colonel-General Dzhordzh Pattonski in charge somewhere up front, I don't see them as having the tactical and logistic acumen to pull off simultaneous offensive and counteroffensive operations along two axis with 90 degrees separation.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#36]
USAF pilot I follow on twitter says the callsign of the flight was Frank 1 & 2, reference to famous US balloon buster Frank Luke (as in Luke AFB).
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Jack67:
USAF pilot I follow on twitter says the callsign of the flight was Frank 1 & 2, reference to famous US balloon buster Frank Luke (as in Luke AFB).
View Quote

Think they shot it down over water simply so it wouldn’t get smashed up upon  impact over land?

There’s no doubt in my mind that thing was c5isr’d upon discovery so it wasn’t like it was helping the Chinese anymore hanging out up there.

Would love to know when they detected it was there.

On the Ukrainian announcement that they’re not leaving Bakhmut: I think they want the Russians to believe that so it may take focus off other areas of the front.

Ukraine (in my opinion) is competent enough not to stay there if the attrition isn’t in their favor, regardless of what the announce publicly.

I wonder how OPSEC is going, probably better evidenced by all the crackdown on traitors.I remember earlier in the war folks saying you couldn’t announce tactical missions too early to men because word would get out. Wives are chatty Kathy’s!
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkzVDk5gpjI
Some enterprising Ukrainians could make a name and a little cash making adapter kits for these vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Ugh this is where the GWOT insistence on less lethal munitions costs lives.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#40]

It's a photoshopping

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I have to admit I wonder why they used the fancy limited interceptor for a balloon as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Think they shot it down over water simply so it wouldn’t get smashed up upon  impact over land?
View Quote

I don't know if it would make much difference impacting the ground or water at terminal velocity.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#43]

That’s true but Russians are using their expendable infantry to “recon by death” for their arty in the rear.  They don’t care if they lose the almost the whole unit if they take the position and attrit Ukrainians.  The reverse is not true.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Originally Posted By Dracster:
Ukrainian artillery near Soledar

"Ukrainian artillery near Soledar is trying to hold back the Russian military, including fighters from the private military campaign Wagner, who are advancing on this section of the front. The situation here is getting more complicated for the Ukrainian defense forces every day. The main roads to the town of Bakhmut are already being shelled by enemy artillery, which has also intensified its activity in the last week. Ukrainian artillery is working mainly to accumulate manpower, preventing Wagner's forces from occupying key villages so that they can get closer to the main roads leading to Bakhmut. If they succeed, access to the city for the defense forces will be more difficult, as well as supply.
Hromadske visited the positions of rocket artillery of one of the tank brigades. The unit has been working in the Donetsk sector for a month now, having moved here after the liberation of the right bank of the Kherson region, having previously defended its native Kryvbas from the enemy's offensive.
Now the tank's hails are helping the infantry of their own brigade, which is holding positions near Soledar to prevent Russians from reaching the main roads to Bakhmut.
The artillerymen are saving shells for hailstones, so they have to hit the target. Although this is not the main task of the grenade launchers. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4IZxQghp3s

I am interested in why they aren't able to suppress the artillery a bit better. I would think by now ISR assets would be strongly in place and they should have the ability and reach but maybe there are just too many tubes. Or there is a deliberate rope a dope going on right now.

From what I've heard, Russian EW is actually very good. That might play a role in suppressing Ukrainian ISR assets.

Thing is, both the Ukrainians and the rooskies are using DJI (and other) consumer drones. So, the rooskies can't EW the Ukrainian drones without EW-ing their own.

That’s true but Russians are using their expendable infantry to “recon by death” for their arty in the rear.  They don’t care if they lose the almost the whole unit if they take the position and attrit Ukrainians.  The reverse is not true.

Ukraine's basically fighting Zombies armed with guns and artillery. Just an endless, expendable horde that keeps coming.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Ukraine's basically fighting Zombies armed with guns and artillery. Just an endless, expendable horde that keeps coming.
View Quote

very well put
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Neat, and very close up footage of a Ukrainian drone going after a Russian tank actively firing on Ukrainian positions.

View Quote

Drone hit on the barrel of a moving tank was incredible.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
Some enterprising Ukrainians could make a name and a little cash making adapter kits for these vehicles.
View Quote
I've already seen a M113 with a BTR/BRDM-2 turret.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By amanbearpig:

I don't know if it would make much difference impacting the ground or water at terminal velocity.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By amanbearpig:
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Just guesstimating, I don’t think the terminal velocity is that high since it’s got those solar panels with space in between (and because of that I don’t think it would fall on the narrow axis either, which would have a much higher terminal velocity).

I think water would indeed spread out the impulse sufficiently to have worthwhile less destruction compared to land with a much shorter time to decelerate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Information appeared on the Internet that Vladimir Zelensky deprived a number of politicians of the Yanukovych era from Ukrainian citizenship.

Among them are ex-head of the National Security and Defense Council Andriy Klyuev, ex-minister of education Dmitry Tabachnik, ex-minister of income and fees Alexander Klymenko, ex-head of the Ministry of Internal Affairs Vitaly Zakharchenko, ex-head of the SBU Alexander Yakymenko.

Also on the list was a deputy of the Opposition Platform for Life of the Odessa City Council Viktor Baransky and others.

https://t.me/ragnarockkyiv/45268

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Another clip from Russian talk shows, repeating the line "who needs the world if Russia is not in it?"

View Quote

This plan won't end well for them.

Everyone thinks Americans are lazy twits but....

We have a habit of throwing regime ending temper tantrums as far back as the Barbary Pirates.

A better lesson for GWOT isn't "the US lost" but rather the "US went half way around the world, spent 20 years and trillions of dollars overthrowing dictators, stacking bodies and then got bored".

If I was w Russian Oligarch, I wouldn't want to spend 20 years hiding in a spider hole.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
There are still thousands of M60 tanks in service and in storage around the world. I wish there was a way we could acquire a bunch of these and have them modernized to the Israeli/Turkish M60TM Sabra standard and donate those to Ukraine. It would offer much greater protection and firepower than the Leopard 1. In terms of protection, with the armor upgrades and APS, it would likely equal or exceed the T-72B3. And the updated 120mm gun and modernized sensors will offer much greater firepower than older generation western tanks such as the Leopard 1 and original M60 series. The armor package on these things is really pretty decent. There were Turkish M60T Sabras that withstood hits from ATGMs in Syria that destroyed even Leopard 2A4s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRfo043hkos

I'm not sure how long it would require for an M60 to be upgraded to this standard, or how many could be converted in a year. But it would be another means of getting more modernized and capable tanks into Ukrainian hands and would bypass concerns nations have about their latest technology potentially falling into enemy hands. If we had initiated such a project last spring, I bet by now we could have at least had Israeli and Turkish industry turn out several hundred of these heavily upgraded M60s for use in Ukraine.
View Quote
The fastest would be for the Israelis or Turks to send what they have.  Israel is sending an Iron Dome battery, thinking about doing that.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3448 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top