Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3630 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I'm just a stupid old boomer.
View Quote

You are not.  Reading this thread improves intelligence.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

It's really hard, essentially impossible, to get jet fuel to ignite unless it is in a vapor or a fine aerosol.  It's way too cold to get it to a vapor state and it would have to be pressurized to become an aerosol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10C7FSbE
View Quote
I learned a lot from this.  I expected gas to just blow up but it just burned
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

Dipped my toes in one of those threads, and couldn't believe the ignorance displayed.

They were giving it to Biden for having the audacity of visiting Kyiv and meeting with Zelensky  instead of visiting the East Palestine train wreck.

They can't seem to acknowledge that Russia's invasion  is probably the biggest historical event of some of our lives, where East Palestine (where the were NO deaths or even one injury) will not even be a

footnote twenty years from now in the history books.
View Quote

Pretty easy for you to say that when you don't live in East Palestine
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]
ISW assessment for March 4th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-4-2023

Russian forces appear to have secured a sufficient positional advantage to conduct a turning movement against certain parts of Bakhmut but have not yet forced Ukrainian forces to withdraw and will likely not be able to encircle the city soon. Russian forces made one limited confirmed advance near Bakhmut on March 4.[1] As ISW reported on March 3, Ukrainian forces are likely setting conditions for a controlled fighting withdrawal out of particularly difficult sectors of eastern Bakhmut, although it is not clear that Ukrainian commanders have decided to withdraw at this time.[2] Russian sources claim that Wagner Group elements have made gains in northeastern and eastern Bakhmut over the past few days, creating a tactically challenging turning movement in urban areas in northern Bakhmut.[3] Ukrainian officials have recently reiterated that Ukrainian forces still control the situation in Bakhmut but have noted that circumstances are increasingly complicated and that the Wagner Group has committed its most advanced and prepared elements to assault operations in the area.[4]

Russian advances in Bakhmut have been slow and gradual and do not suggest that Russian forces will be able to encircle Bakhmut soon, much less that they will be able to take the city by frontal assaults. The Russians have, rather, managed to push close enough to critical ground lines of communication from the northeast to threaten Ukrainian withdrawal routes in a classical turning movement. The purpose of a turning movement is to force the enemy to abandon prepared defensive positions and is different from the aim of an encirclement, which is to trap and destroy enemy forces. The Russians may have intended to encircle Ukrainian forces in Bakhmut, but the Ukrainian command has signaled that it will likely withdraw rather than risk an encirclement. ISW assesses that Ukrainian forces are far more likely to withdraw than to become encircled and that the Ukrainians might still be able to hold their positions in Bakhmut if they choose to try. Russian forces have been suffering high casualties in these advances, and Ukrainian commanders’ assessments of the likelihood that they can force Russian attacks to culminate near or behind their current positions balanced against the risk of losing access to essential withdrawal routes will likely guide the Ukrainian decision to stay or pull back.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
View Quote

Prigozhin and Kadyrov have frequently seemed to be at least common enemies of the MoD if not outright allies.

Falling out?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Agree. These rants on military stocks are disingenuous. Our Army has been sized, designed and equipped mainly to counter Russian incursion for the last 70 years. What better opportunity to apply it without risking one American life?

Plus, Ukraine is a great opportunity to get rid of all our old stocks of weapons we have retired or planned to retire soon.

China is most a Russia psyop red herring. The equipment and forces are almost non-intersecting. Ukraine needs armor, artillery, shells, ground transport.

Taiwan needs us to secure the seas and assist with the skies. We have to stop China BEFORE the touch land. That means missiles, ships and aircraft.

The overlap would be air defense, missiles, fighters, Bombers, etc. but Ukraine would benefit from older fighters like F16. Do the critical overlap that needs careful management is AD and various missile systems.

Fundamentally if we let Ukraine drag out years then we are ramping up the risks for Taiwan. Rather than ranting AGAINST funding Ukraine a truly concerned person should rant on going bigger and faster on Ukraine to end it quickly so we can pivot to Taiwan.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hate_Work:
Understood. In the end, what I am not all warm and fuzzy about is there still isn't a firm commitment from the US. Attic stock dwindling and reserves for a possible future with China are therefire dwindling. Production rates on some weaponry have only now increased. My guess is FJB doesn't want a quick ending to this invasion. Hence my ranting.

Where we going to use artillery in china? This shit was designed and produced to be used exactly where it is being used.

Agree. These rants on military stocks are disingenuous. Our Army has been sized, designed and equipped mainly to counter Russian incursion for the last 70 years. What better opportunity to apply it without risking one American life?

Plus, Ukraine is a great opportunity to get rid of all our old stocks of weapons we have retired or planned to retire soon.

China is most a Russia psyop red herring. The equipment and forces are almost non-intersecting. Ukraine needs armor, artillery, shells, ground transport.

Taiwan needs us to secure the seas and assist with the skies. We have to stop China BEFORE the touch land. That means missiles, ships and aircraft.

The overlap would be air defense, missiles, fighters, Bombers, etc. but Ukraine would benefit from older fighters like F16. Do the critical overlap that needs careful management is AD and various missile systems.

Fundamentally if we let Ukraine drag out years then we are ramping up the risks for Taiwan. Rather than ranting AGAINST funding Ukraine a truly concerned person should rant on going bigger and faster on Ukraine to end it quickly so we can pivot to Taiwan.

The only real munition we've sent that I'd like to get to Taiwan is Stinger missiles.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By m00ler03:
View Quote

This is what we need to be fucking doing. Even if we decide it's not in our or their interest to give them F-16s right now. At least fucking train their guys up so if we find it needs to be done, we can get Jets into the fight ASAP instead of 6 months AFTER they needed them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:

View Quote

What exactly does fjb going to a train derailment do to change it? Should he visit every derailment every day of the year? The gov fucked up the response because they now use equity instead of qualifications to run the 3 letter agencies, combined with a dose of leftist hate for flyover country.
The money for Ukraine is coming out of the dod budget for the most part. It has nothing to do with clean up of a train derailment. Biden is a pedo dementia ridden asshat with a low IQ who stole the election, but him wandering around clueless in East Palestine would change nothing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:02:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#10]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The only real munition we've sent that I'd like to get to Taiwan is Stinger missiles.
View All Quotes
Understood. In the end, what I am not all warm and fuzzy about is there still isn't a firm commitment from the US. Attic stock dwindling and reserves for a possible future with China are therefire dwindling. Production rates on some weaponry have only now increased. My guess is FJB doesn't want a quick ending to this invasion. Hence my ranting.

Where we going to use artillery in china? This shit was designed and produced to be used exactly where it is being used.

Yep. Everyone in Taiwan should have 3 stingers each. Any move on Taiwan will involve LOTS of choppers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

This is what we need to be fucking doing. Even if we decide it's not in our or their interest to give them F-16s right now. At least fucking train their guys up so if we find it needs to be done, we can get Jets into the fight ASAP instead of 6 months AFTER they needed them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Originally Posted By m00ler03:

They train foreign pilots in F16s at the airport here.  I'd love to hear that we have some Ukrainian guests.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By YaNi05:

I've been following this invasion 2 years and in this thread since the beginning. And you don't like some info so you call me a troll. Dude GTFO.

This is coming directly from guys fighting in the East. There are an estimated 4000 'civilians' remaining in Bakhmut out of the 70k pre-war, which assuming every last one of them that stayed is pro-russian and that's not even 6%. And 30% of the pre-war population identified as russian. Do you want to just assume that they're all without any agency? Couldn't possibly leave. There's families with young kids. And there's a lot of old people. They're not just going to tell some pro-Ukrainian stranger they're staying for the russians, duh. They make up some excuse that's believable and doesn't paint them as the enemy. It's human nature.

But you can't possibly understand that from your ivory tower with all your 24/7 twitter and telegram feeds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
From what I've heard, the vast majority of people who stay are waiting for the russians liberators. This is widely known among the UA and there's distrust between the 'civilians' in the battlespace and the UA. I'm told they will eventually (or at least believe they will) be resettled by the ruskies somewhere; could be Vladivostok or somewhere else in the occupied Ukrainian land.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/fVw58iP-49.gif

Another arfcommer who things RT is a legit news source, LOL.

I've been following this invasion 2 years and in this thread since the beginning. And you don't like some info so you call me a troll. Dude GTFO.

This is coming directly from guys fighting in the East. There are an estimated 4000 'civilians' remaining in Bakhmut out of the 70k pre-war, which assuming every last one of them that stayed is pro-russian and that's not even 6%. And 30% of the pre-war population identified as russian. Do you want to just assume that they're all without any agency? Couldn't possibly leave. There's families with young kids. And there's a lot of old people. They're not just going to tell some pro-Ukrainian stranger they're staying for the russians, duh. They make up some excuse that's believable and doesn't paint them as the enemy. It's human nature.

But you can't possibly understand that from your ivory tower with all your 24/7 twitter and telegram feeds.

You’re suggesting that civilians who stay are pro-russian and that they are lying to the Ukrainian army about their loyalties.  Do you have any sources to publish or is this just your opinion?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Dipped my toes in one of those threads, and couldn't believe the ignorance displayed.

They were giving it to Biden for having the audacity of visiting Kyiv and meeting with Zelensky  instead of visiting the East Palestine train wreck.

They can't seem to acknowledge that Russia's invasion  is probably the biggest historical event of some of our lives, where East Palestine (where the were NO deaths or even one injury) will not even be a

OMG every M113 and Javelin sent to Ukraine means another American child dies a horrible death from chemicals that Biden made sure spilled only on republicans!  Stop this senseless waste of M113s that can help with the disaster right here at home!  Bring our Javelins home to secure the border!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Erno86:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYYPLoRrboo
View Quote

Just trying to compete with Israel
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Here’s a question for more knowledgeable posters than me.
It would seem to me that M113 120mm mortar carriers would be damn near ideal for the war.  There are a lot of the around, they’re simple and cheap.  Yet I recall seeing video of maybe one in action.  Why aren’t we seeing more of them sent?
View Quote

1.  Anchoring bias.  What we see on video isnt indicative of much.

2. Highly likely there is a shortage of indirect fire crewmen and manning a 155mm is more advantageous then a mortar.

3. Mortars are short range and more easily detectable.  

4. Communications.  Tactics.  Mission.

If you are on the attack with a rifle company and somebody else had priority of fire, then having hip pocket artillery like mortars for when you really need the rounds is helpful.  Back in oldene tymes I made my guys all carry a 60mm tootsie round for just that.  Because if domeone else has POF and you dont, 60mm beat a sharp stick and an angry face.

If you have excellent comms back to the big guns, AND you are on the defense, AND the bad guys are piecemealing their infantry attacks, then nothing stopping you from using the long range shooters that are harder to spot. I'm not talking HIMARs, but a SP 155mm ten miles back is more survivable then a 120mm 3 miles back.  Of course you have to worry about barrel wear and ammo but survivability is a plus.

While there is an exhausting amount of misinformed baloney on this thread about tank-infantry cooperation, when you start taking fire from an ATGM at 4km the 120mm is precisely the sort of responsive fire  you need. It is the tank arty cooperation, not tank infantry, at 1km and beyond.  I wouldnt want to burn up my decentralized little mortar platoons; Id keep them around for the offensive, if I had some. This aint their fight. yet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

2. Highly likely there is a shortage of indirect fire crewmen and manning a 155mm is more advantageous then a mortar.

If you are on the attack with a rifle company and somebody else had priority of fire, then having hip pocket artillery like mortars for when you really need the rounds is helpful.  Back in oldene tymes I made my guys all carry a 60mm tootsie round for just that.  Because if domeone else has POF and you dont, 60mm beat a sharp stick and an angry face.

If you have excellent comms back to the big guns, AND you are on the defense, AND the bad guys are piecemealing their infantry attacks, then nothing stopping you from using the long range shooters that are harder to spot. I'm not talking HIMARs, but a SP 155mm ten miles back is more survivable then a 120mm 3 miles back.  Of course you have to worry about barrel wear and ammo but survivability is a plus.

While there is an exhausting amount of misinformed baloney on this thread about tank-infantry cooperation, when you start taking fire from an ATGM at 4km the 120mm is precisely the sort of responsive fire  you need. It is the tank arty cooperation, not tank infantry, at 1km and beyond.  I wouldnt want to burn up my decentralized little mortar platoons; Id keep them around for the offensive, if I had some. This aint their fight. yet.
View All Quotes

It would seem to me that M113 120mm mortar carriers would be damn near ideal for the war.  There are a lot of the around, they’re simple and cheap.  Yet I recall seeing video of maybe one in action.  Why aren’t we seeing more of them sent?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#19]
The Chechen leader was blathering the other day about thinking they needed to invade Eastern Germany and retake it as well as moving into Poland to recreate the Warsaw Pact.............probably needs to worry about surviving another day
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#20]

https://tvzvezda.ru/news/202335056-dPcRo.html
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: B5Sluggo] [#22]

View All Quotes

I'll play - without looking it up, tell me what happened in Lac Megantic Quebec 10 years ago?  If you can't I'm more certain that the original post by kpacman is correct.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Peengwin:

I may have written a novel that matches your idea, but change the drones to nukes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Peengwin:

My big worry is that if the Balloon gos Up with China, the opening salvo might be a swarm of little drones that have been infiltrated into our country / territories / basing areas disabling a lot of our aircraft on the runway.

It's pretty perfect Hybrid War / Grey zone because numerous aircraft can be disabled by a single dropped 40mm HEDP, but the actual loss of life might be 0 and sense of 'attack' would be much lower then a Pearl / 9/11, making it less likely to be a galvanizing event for the US to rally behind.

I may have written a novel that matches your idea, but change the drones to nukes.

Hook us up with a link man. I'm a sucker for WW3 novels.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]

In case others have not seen this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Prigozhin and Kadyrov have frequently seemed to be at least common enemies of the MoD if not outright allies.

Falling out?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Falling out?

It's twitter. Credibility meter mediocre. Battling warlords, illness and internal struggles... *shrug*
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#28]

OMG every M113 and Javelin sent to Ukraine means another American child dies a horrible death from chemicals that Biden made sure spilled only on republicans!  Stop this senseless waste of M113s that can help with the disaster right here at home!  Bring our Javelins home to secure the border!
View All Quotes

Do you know how many gallons of vinyl chloride every 155 shell could soak up?  

Instead we are sending them to concentration camp guards in nazi occupied Ukraine to kill the Christian soldiers of Saint putin? We could clean up the entire mess in East Palestine AND cure cancer with just the shells fired in Ukraine last month! Plus we need all those 155 shells to stop Chinese shipping in the middle of the Atlantic when China invades Taiwan!

It's madness I tell you! Madness!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PMB1086:
View Quote

I'm skeptical they could build a tank factory for $200 million euros.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#30]

New ISW thread getting posted now. Start reading here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

View Quote

Not surprised.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Vid on making contact with and extracting civilians from Bakhmut. Some wouldn’t leave. Several others did. Some wounded.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#33]
"Crimea will fall" - Prigozhin whines again.

The head of PMC "Wagner" in his new appeal said that the problems at the front remain. The conflict over shells is still unresolved.

He also reports that if this situation continues, the PMC will not survive. After that, the front will “fall” to the borders of Russia, Crimea will “fall”, and PMCs will go down in the history of the war as the main reason for the loss.

https://t.me/ragnarockkyiv/47188

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#34]
WE ANNOUNCE THE RECRUITMENT OF AERIAL INTELLIGENCE FIGHTERS FOR THE "VYKHOR" SPECIAL UNIT

If you want to become part of our unit, have good physical and psychological training and are ready to defend your native land from the enemy horde, fill out the form - https://forms.gle/5LLcpSyyadqXydyAA

We would like to emphasize that by filling out the questionnaire, you consent to the processing of your personal data. Such accuracy of data collection is necessary to prevent hostile provocations. If you are suitable for us, our representative will contact you after registration.

Become the eyes of the army and return yours next to yours!

Special unit "Wykhor" | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | TikTok

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#35]
More weird ass Mad Max shit.

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Those all look like naval mounts of one sort or another.  They’re stripping museums or naval scrapyards I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Those all look like naval mounts of one sort or another.  They’re stripping museums or naval scrapyards I suppose.
View All Quotes

Armored tractors MT-LB of the Russian army with installed ship-mounted twin 25-mm artillery mounts 2M-3, 14.5-mm machine-gun mounts 2M-7 with KPVT and 12.7-mm mounts with DShK.

@milinfolive

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Not bad for a hurried counterinsurgency rig; however, in a HIC scenario you are just asking to get hosed down by something .50 cal or larger as well as volunteering your vehicle to take the next available NLAW or ATGM in the cue.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

View Quote

This next few years will be interesting. If the world makes it till the end of the decade..
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:05:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#41]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

I wonder besides the high price,1.25 million a piece, why Russia is holding onto its P-800 oniks and not using them more. It's a newer system that is very deadly and accurate. With a huge range.  It's a good thing they don't use them more. Possibly alot of them are nuclear configured, but if they ever launched a huge wave of those it would be a bad day for Ukraine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Current Russian Cruise Missile Stocks based on Ukraine’s 🇺🇦 reporting

On January 3rd, Ukraine reported that Russia had 177 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missiles in stock

Since January 3rd, Ukraine reported that Russia used 174 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missiles

If Russia produced 0 Cruise Missiles since January 3rd, they would have 3 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missile remaining if Ukraine’s reporting is correct, but Russia definitely made more Kh-101 and Kablir Cruise Missiles since then

The question is, how many Kh-101 and Kalibr Cruise Missiles did Russia produce since January 3rd, 2023?

On November 17th, Ukraine reported that Russia had 511 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kablir Cruise Missiles in stock. And Ukraine reported that Russia made 240 new Kh-101 and Kalibr Cruise Missiles since the start of the war (full-scale invasion) last year

On January 3rd, Ukraine reported that Russia made 440 new Kh-101 and Kalibr Cruise Missiles since the start of the war. Russia cannot produce any more Kh-55 Cruise Missiles and instead makes the similar but more modern Kh-101 Cruise Missiles

The only way to find out how many Cruise Missiles Russia currently has would be if Ukraine’s reporting is correct and if we know the number of Cruise Missiles Russia makes per month or on average per day. Which is not known at this time

The number of Kh-101 and Kalibr Cruise Missiles Russia makes is estimated to be 15 to 125 per month. Which is lower than their rate of usage that is 170 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missiles per month in the past two months since their last large missile strike on February 16th

The number of Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missiles Russia has remaining is unknown but could be estimated if their production rate is known. The details may become more clear in the coming months as Russia does more missile strikes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqaFFgWWAAEfjaI?format=jpg&name=large

I wonder besides the high price,1.25 million a piece, why Russia is holding onto its P-800 oniks and not using them more. It's a newer system that is very deadly and accurate. With a huge range.  It's a good thing they don't use them more. Possibly alot of them are nuclear configured, but if they ever launched a huge wave of those it would be a bad day for Ukraine.

Putin has to be holding some of the best stuff near Moscow. First to protect against popular uprising (tanks etc) and direct attack if war collapses (missiles and aircraft). Those would never be deployed but kept as his last guard. I can’t believe he would not save some of the best for himself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

If we have not sent, or they have not requested Stingers, then they are fucked.  Taiwan should have 10K stingers right now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
The Chechen leader was blathering the other day about thinking they needed to invade Eastern Germany and retake it as well as moving into Poland to recreate the Warsaw Pact.............probably needs to worry about surviving another day
View Quote
There are plenty of kidney doners, located in prisons
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:43:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Auto5guy:

Wow that's some high praise from you and Charging_Handle. I am humbled.  Thank you.

My parents weren't the most articulate but they both hated communism and the disliked the Soviets in particular.  They were willing to put their money where their mouth was so to speak. In the late 80's they smuggled bibles into China so that level of passion about what they believed set a high standard for me to follow. Their objection to communism was more religious than economic.  What that gave me is an absolute refusal to cede the moral high ground to the filthy commies. There is nothing moral about that evil envy based system.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

This can't be said enough. It needs to be beaten into the head of every new generation to avoid repeating the horrifying past of communist enslavement.

Self interest is the one common characteristic of every creature on earth. Communists believe that this innate self interest is a result of family influences and evil capitalist programing. They felt that after the complete transition to communism a "New Man" would be created; a selfless, perfectly good man, freed from selfishness and greed. They thought it would be the natural product of the communist system. But, instead it is actually a REQUIREMENT for the system to work.  An impossible requirement.

Communism requires masses of people to become selfless.  To be happy getting nothing in return for strife and sweat and effort. Biologically we are programed to associate effort without reward as failure and failure means starving to death.  It isn't just that we are not programed to be selfless... We are biologically, genetically, EVOLUTIONARILY, hard wired to do the opposite; to navigate the world around us with self interest.  It can't be bullied, threatened, shamed or beaten out of us.

Capitalism channels that self interest towards the common good. If your pursuit of self interest produces something of benefit to others they will pay you money for it. If someone needs a task done that would seem pointless to others, money is offered thereby making it beneficial to the worker performing the pointless task.  That's why it works.  It works WITH the biological imperative of self interest.

Those three paragraphs above might be the most informative description and summary of the failures of communism that I've ever heard. It is so good in fact that I am writing it down and saving it for future reference.

Me too. This is the kind of thing that has routinely popped up in this thread that deserves more than the archive treatment someday.

I'm sending it to a leftist I know now. Just for fun of course because they're leftist and a lost cause by definition. I just like to hear how they justify it and lie to themselves.

@Auto5guy you're a thinker- your parents did a good job!

Wow that's some high praise from you and Charging_Handle. I am humbled.  Thank you.

My parents weren't the most articulate but they both hated communism and the disliked the Soviets in particular.  They were willing to put their money where their mouth was so to speak. In the late 80's they smuggled bibles into China so that level of passion about what they believed set a high standard for me to follow. Their objection to communism was more religious than economic.  What that gave me is an absolute refusal to cede the moral high ground to the filthy commies. There is nothing moral about that evil envy based system.  

Please feel free to IM me your response, so those troubled by thread slides can proceed-though I think this is valuable...

Wow, @Auto5guy- we would LOVE to hear stories about your family and smuggling bibles into China! You are substantiating my assumption about your parents! I never expected you to say THAT! And boy does it make sense...

As goes Judeo-Christian values, so goes western civilization....conservativism and American values require a society to have biblical values. As Viktor Frankle said at the end of his book Man's Search for Meaning- there are only two races-the decent and the indecent .... You just can't regulate people to be good. Shall we make a law to say please and thank you?

God bless your parents. I'm fortunate to meet their son on an internet forum!
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I think everyone agrees Biden is a demented old man and they can barely keep him propped up for a couple of hours every week. East Palestine and Ukraine were not mutually exclusive trips. Most other presidents would have done both. He is so frail they only let him out every couple of weeks.

If he had an effective Transportation Secretary who toured the site and made a support speech in the first few days there would be less need for the President to do anything right away. But he does’t, he has a wife-man constantly on leave. not visiting even after two weeks is a complete fail.

I’m glad he visited Ukraine as it resulted in increased aid. Which is needed and will actually save thousands more lives. East Palestine is a tragic fail on his part but is much smaller scale and I’m sure since it was Republican majority he snubbed you guys deliberately. I doubt he would have gone there even if he did not go to a Ukraine. It should have been both/and; certainly was not an either/or choice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:01:21 AM EDT
[#46]
The Russian ministry of finances announced yesterday that in February their Urals oil was selling on average for $49.56 for a barrel.
So much for all that talk about Russia avoiding the price cap.

https://minfin.gov.ru/ru/press-center?id_4=38391-o_srednei_tsene_na_neft_marki_urals
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Putin has to be holding some of the best stuff near Moscow. First to protect against popular uprising (tanks etc) and direct attack if war collapses (missiles and aircraft). Those would never be deployed but kept as his last guard. I can’t believe he would save some of the best for himself.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Current Russian Cruise Missile Stocks based on Ukraine’s 🇺🇦 reporting

On January 3rd, Ukraine reported that Russia had 177 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missiles in stock

Since January 3rd, Ukraine reported that Russia used 174 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missiles

If Russia produced 0 Cruise Missiles since January 3rd, they would have 3 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missile remaining if Ukraine’s reporting is correct, but Russia definitely made more Kh-101 and Kablir Cruise Missiles since then

The question is, how many Kh-101 and Kalibr Cruise Missiles did Russia produce since January 3rd, 2023?

On November 17th, Ukraine reported that Russia had 511 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kablir Cruise Missiles in stock. And Ukraine reported that Russia made 240 new Kh-101 and Kalibr Cruise Missiles since the start of the war (full-scale invasion) last year

On January 3rd, Ukraine reported that Russia made 440 new Kh-101 and Kalibr Cruise Missiles since the start of the war. Russia cannot produce any more Kh-55 Cruise Missiles and instead makes the similar but more modern Kh-101 Cruise Missiles

The only way to find out how many Cruise Missiles Russia currently has would be if Ukraine’s reporting is correct and if we know the number of Cruise Missiles Russia makes per month or on average per day. Which is not known at this time

The number of Kh-101 and Kalibr Cruise Missiles Russia makes is estimated to be 15 to 125 per month. Which is lower than their rate of usage that is 170 Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missiles per month in the past two months since their last large missile strike on February 16th

The number of Kh-101/Kh-55/Kalibr Cruise Missiles Russia has remaining is unknown but could be estimated if their production rate is known. The details may become more clear in the coming months as Russia does more missile strikes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqaFFgWWAAEfjaI?format=jpg&name=large

Putin has to be holding some of the best stuff near Moscow. First to protect against popular uprising (tanks etc) and direct attack if war collapses (missiles and aircraft). Those would never be deployed but kept as his last guard. I can’t believe he would save some of the best for himself.

Not necessarily.
The Russian people are generally disarmed.  OMON/Rosgvardia units with APCs would be more than enough to smash a mass protest.
And whatever they say, they Russian government absolutely does not fear a NATO invasion.
There are also questions about Putin vs the Army.  There were some reports earlier in the war that the “first line” units around Moscow were being sent in and Chechens had primary responsibility for Putin’s personal security.  This gave Putin a force loyal to him personally, gave him some more meat to spend in Ukraine, and got a potential source of real opposition out of the way.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Supposedly the Stinger is long in the tooth and is supposed to be replaced soon. Maybe because of IR only targeting?  If so, then Ukraine is a great place to use them up and accelerate efforts on our replacement.

From Wiki:
In late April 2022, Raytheon Technologies CEO Greg Hayes told investors that the company was experiencing supply chain issues and would not be able to ramp up production of Stinger missiles until 2023. This delay was in part due to the fact the Stinger was scheduled to be replaced in the 2020s and thus contained obsolete components, which have to be redesigned for modern procurement. As of 11 May, the USA had sent a quarter of its aging Stinger missile stockpile to Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#49]

UK is really stepping up to be that elusive “first one to do it” advanced weapons provider. They are putting the shame to Germany. They may not have a lot of equipment if their own anymore but at least they didn’t turn in their spines as surplus either.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Excellent info, thx!

Hopefully there is lots of training happening and rotating units through to accompany the equipment coming in. That is quite the challenge to fend off an adversary with a 10:1 equipment advantage while also trying to shift to a radically new tactics with a hodge-podge of modern gear mixed with legacy gear.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3630 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top