Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3792 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Strykers in Germany for training. Getting closer!
View Quote

I've always had a soft spot for Stryker MGS, even if it's a bit of cluterfuck.  It would be fun to see it in action in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.bbc.com/news/58888451
Originally Posted By Capta:

Russian energy isn't cheaper, it simply moves some costs into non-monetary realms.  Once you try to account for these costs, Russian energy is probably far, far over market value.
Europe has already curtailed/ended their dependence on Russian energy.  They've built and will continue to build LNG terminals at a record pace.  That is a massive investment that isn't going to disappear.
They're already signed legally binding long-term contracts with reliable energy partners.   People who keep saying that "they can't afford to give up Russian gas" are dead wrong.  It's a done deal. There are legal contracts in place that Europe couldn't break even if they wanted to, and they don't want to.  Putin already played the energy card and played it poorly.

Germany signs FIFTEEN YEAR LNG contract with Qatar.

If Europe gets Russian gas again it will probably be in the form of war reparations from a prostrate and desperate Russia.
View Quote

Europe is still buying gas from Russia to this day, including Germany. They've only sanctioned shipping, not delivery through pipes. They are diversifying away from Russia and try to secure their future, but not every country is there yet. Qatar sounds great but relying on all your energy to travel through the Suez Canal has its risks too. There are a bunch of countries that don't even have large ports, LNG terminals or an efficient distribution system like Germany. So after the shipping you'd have to load the gas onto trucks to deliver it. All that extra effort comes with extra cost.

Having LNG terminals so people don't freeze at home in case of disruptions is just smart planning. Even Germany has used up something like 40% of their LNG capacity during this mild winter. And if they have to produce new BMWs from gas stored in LNG terminals, the extra cost of all that effort is all going to trickle down to the consumers, resulting in less competitive economy. As they get less competitive, China and India gets more competitive due to the bargains they get from Russia. Energy prices are higher in Europe across the board and people are hurting. There will come a time when there is peace again and Putin is gone and Europe will still have a need for cheap energy. It's just the reality of the situation.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By strykr:
Europe is still buying gas from Russia to this day, including Germany. They've only sanctioned shipping, not delivery through pipes. They are diversifying away from Russia and try to secure their future, but not every country is there yet. Qatar sounds great but relying on all your energy to travel through the Suez Canal has its risks too. There are a bunch of countries that don't even have large ports, LNG terminals or an efficient distribution system like Germany. So after the shipping you'd have to load the gas onto trucks to deliver it. All that extra effort comes with extra cost.

Having LNG terminals so people don't freeze at home in case of disruptions is just smart planning. Even Germany has used up something like 40% of their LNG capacity during this mild winter. And if they have to produce new BMWs from gas stored in LNG terminals, the extra cost of all that effort is all going to trickle down to the consumers, resulting in less competitive economy. As they get less competitive, China and India gets more competitive due to the bargains they get from Russia. Energy prices are higher in Europe across the board and people are hurting. There will come a time when there is peace again and Putin is gone and Europe will still have a need for cheap energy. It's just the reality of the situation.

View Quote

Which pipelines is Europe getting Russian gas? Not disputing you but I'm curious. I was told that Russia blew up their own pipeline...
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Convicted Killer Freed by Wagner Goes Home and Kills Again
He made headlines just days before the murder, when residents pleaded for help after he drunkenly wandered around with a pitchfork and ax, yelling, “I'll kill everyone.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/convicted-killer-freed-by-wagner-comes-home-from-ukraine-and-kills-again

A convicted killer sentenced to 14 years in a maximum security prison in Russia got the break of his life when the notorious Wagner Group began recruiting inmates for the war against Ukraine last year—and now free, he’s murdered someone again.

Ivan Rossomakhin, 28, is accused of another murder in his native village in the Kirov region less than three years after he was ordered to spend more than a decade behind bars, MediaZona reports. During that time, he managed to avail himself of Wagner’s prison-recruitment scheme, whereby inmates receive a full pardon if they survive six months fighting in Ukraine.

Rossomakhin had reportedly only been back home in the village of Novy Buryets for eight days “on break” when a local resident discovered their mother’s dead body. She’d been badly beaten and was found with stab wounds, according to sources cited by Baza.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:00:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#6]
Originally Posted By Javak:

I've always had a soft spot for Stryker MGS, even if it's a bit of cluterfuck.  It would be fun to see it in action in Ukraine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have those been used anywhere in significant numbers? I thought they might have been used early in GWOT but stopped due to IEDs?

Found this article from 2005 with high praise for VBIED and RPG survivability.
M1126 Strykers in Combat: Experiences & Lessons
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Which pipelines is Europe getting Russian gas? Not disputing you but I'm curious. I was told that Russia blew up their own pipeline...
View Quote

They blew up NordStream, which is just one underwater pipeline direct to Germany. There are many other ground pipelines traversing through Ukraine and Belarus towards Europe including Germany. The pipeline through Ukraine is literally called "Friendship". There are also pipelines under the Black Sea towards Romania (Adria) and also Bulgaria and Italy. This is the reason why I say the EU needs to go all in on nuclear to rid itself of this web of dependence.

While the war is ongoing, nobody is messing with delivery on these pipes. Russia still sends the oil and the receiving countries still pay them. I think there is a cap on price, but that is as far as the EU could go. Note that Ukraine could blow these pipelines, but that would mean they are fucking with Europe's economy and people and sentiment could turn against them quick. Putin will go away, but the pipelines will remain long after he is gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druzhba_pipeline

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DisturbedCrime:

Fantastic write-up and article. Thank you BerettaGuy. Definitely something the general public does not realize about UA and their history.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

Without Ukraine, Moskovia has always been a vassal of another country. And looks like this is their fate...

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D4D22AQE7H5vW6fztmg/feedshare-shrink_480/0/1679902846686?e=1683158400&v=beta&t=LXN5gEf4tP9azOL8Mx_aYyu_ns5GtJyA7fRSOgQE5a0

By Volodymyr Kukharenko

Moskow was founded in 1147 by prince Yuri Dolgorukiy (he’s buried in Kyiv, you can come to his grave), so it was a late and remote colony of Rus (Ukraine). But 90 years later, in 1237, Moskow was taken by Golden Horde. Moskovia was paying tribute to Golden Horde for 240 years, and after the collapse of the Golden Horde, it became the vassal of Crimean Khans. Once (in 1571) they refused to pay tribute and got Moskow burned. They paid tribute till 1700. Almost 500 years vassal! But in 1648-1654 Ukrainians had war with Poland, and choose to ally with Moskovia. That was a big strategic mistake, as the alliance lasted less than 2 years, and eventually, Ukraine got divided between Moskovia and Poland in 1686. And that was a mistake for Poland, as about 100 years later Poland got divided between Moskovia, Prussia, and Austria.

Needless to say that it was done with the help of Ukrainian troops in the Moskovia army. So, having Ukrainians in their army, Moskovia (renamed to Russia in 1721) won many wars and grew much bigger. Napoleon Bonaparte once said, “Give me 20000 Ukrainian Cossacks in my army, and I would conquer the world”. In WW2, 25-40% of USSR casualties were Ukrainians. So when Putin says “we could do it alone”, that’s pathetic. By the way, do you know that the first Russian University ever was founded by Ukrainians and that in the early 1700ties tsar Peter 1st forced his nobility to eat with forks, not hands? They had no fleet before Ukrainians became part of their empire.

In 1918, Ukraine declared independence but lost in 1919. The history got repeated: Ukraine was divided between Poland and USSR, and 30 years later Poland was divided between USSR and Germany, and later Germany was divided between USSR, US and UK, then USSR wanted to win US but failed and collapsed. That is the lesson everyone should learn: Russia will always betray allies.

Now, Ukraine got independence again, and Russia wants it back. Because without Ukraine, they are no longer an empire capable of any conquests. Without Ukrainian resources, science, and industry, and, most importantly, warriors, they are a bunch of savages living in their past and doomed to decline.

I hope this time the world understands it that Ukraine is the difference between weak and strong Russia, and safety for everyone. And the circle of history is closing: Russia is becoming the vassal of China. Russia will sell gas and oil to China really cheaply, China will exploit Russian resources and sell its own goods to Russia, as Russia produces nothing. Chinese renamed 8 Russian cities near their borders into Chinese names, no usual Russian nukes threats in response. Russian women are marrying Chinese men because in Russia men are being killed, while in China they have 30 million lonely men. New Russian visa centers are being opened in China. So bye-bye Russia, hello Moskovia province again.

Also a good read: How Moscow Hijacked the History of the Kyivan-Rus

Like I've said here many times,  if you don't know the true history of Ukraine, you can never truly understand this conflict which is hundreds of years older than the USA.  The first mistake many make is believing that Russia is older than Ukraine.

Good info. Thanks again.

Fantastic write-up and article. Thank you BerettaGuy. Definitely something the general public does not realize about UA and their history.

You are welcome!
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Gas is lower in price now since that article was written 2 months ago. We just had an article here in the last week about europe ending ties with russian gas. I will look for it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Get it through your thick sauerkraut Sammich eating head. It’s a fucking John Browning (may mormon god rest his soul) 50cal!
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]

There are still a few in the west (meaning besides the actual quislings) who think Russia can be dealt with reasonably and there can be a return to status quo ante.
That may have been true early on (say before April-May 2022 or so) but I think this is out of our hands now.  Russia is in a death spiral entirely of their own making and there’s nothing anyone outside of Russia can do to change that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

Just saw video of him being led into Lefortovo in Moscow.

Well Russia, If you want to ensure the west doesn’t get tired of helping Ukraine- this is how you ensure the west doesn’t get tired of helping Ukraine.

There are still a few in the west (meaning besides the actual quislings) who think Russia can be dealt with reasonably and there can be a return to status quo ante.
That may have been true early on (say before April-May 2022 or so) but I think this is out of our hands now.  Russia is in a death spiral entirely of their own making and there’s nothing anyone outside of Russia can do to change that.

Pretty Much.  The flaw with the Russian "Escalate to Deescalate" is that it requires the enemy/opponent to actively try to defuse the situation.  Absent a major diplomatic effort to pressure the Ukrainians, the Russians are caught in a spiraling series of escalation with no off-ramp absent a serious and acceptable proposal to end the fighting on their part.  I do not see a clean ending to this for Russia.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Gas is lower in price now since that article was written 2 months ago. We just had an article here in the last week about europe ending ties with russian gas. I will look for it.
View Quote

I understand that is the plan, but it will still take time to completely wean themselves off using this energy. Once these pipelines were built, the receiving countries designed their whole delivery system around it. There are refineries in place that are not easy to move. Whole cities are hooked up to such pipes. Sure, Hamburg or Rotterdam can easily replace a pipeline, but cities in the former GDR, Romania, Slovakia? Not so easy to say.

Here's another gas pipeline to Poland and Germany. This was a pipeline Russia used to "punish" Poland and Bulgaria for not paying in Rubles by shutting off gas to them. However, they still send gas to Germany, and "As of 29 September 2022, eastward flow of gas from Germany to Poland through the Yamal Europe pipeline is stable". Not so easy for Poland to replace the infrastructure, even though they are trying, it is going to take some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamal%E2%80%93Europe_pipeline

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
have we done this one?

Look at 27 seconds, sure seems like something is getting ready to go down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_WPrQBDXw
View Quote

That was footage of there combined arms training..but not saying something is not about to happen as I believe there will be soon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]

I understand that is the plan, but it will still take time to completely wean themselves off using this energy. Once these pipelines were built, the receiving countries designed their whole delivery system around it. There are refineries in place that are not easy to move. Whole cities are hooked up to such pipes. Sure, Hamburg or Rotterdam can easily replace a pipeline, but cities in the former GDR, Romania, Slovakia? Not so easy to say.

Here's another gas pipeline to Poland and Germany. This was a pipeline Russia used to "punish" Poland and Bulgaria for not paying in Rubles by shutting off gas to them. However, they still send gas to Germany, and "As of 29 September 2022, eastward flow of gas from Germany to Poland through the Yamal Europe pipeline is stable". Not so easy for Poland to replace the infrastructure, even though they are trying, it is going to take some time.

View Quote

The same wiki artocle says Poland is now getting gas from Norway from a recently completed pipeline, and stopped getting gas from russia. Between the Baltic pipeline, the Poland lithuanian pipeline, and their lng terminal, they should be fine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Still catching up….but it’s good you posted this because it’s kind of gone now. The account looks like it’s on lockdown.

Wonder what kinda orc shitstorm went their way after posting this.
This isn’t the persona the regime wants to portray on the world stage.

Also, what a day! I don’t think I can handle learning anything more today
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the guys I follow on Telegram did a tour of a homemade munitions workshop where they make the explosives that are dropped from drones.
They use 3D printers, UXO, and quite the mix of other explosives and shrapnel to make some rather interesting charges.
He had linked it to YouTube, figured you guys would find it interesting.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

And France just inked a deal to buy gas from China.   Given China is a net importer of has I'm  guessing that has will come from Russia via China.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

And France just inked a deal to buy gas from China.   Given China is a net importer of has I'm  guessing that has will come from Russia via China.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

Do it. Take China's resources for as long as you can afford. Keep your own.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#19]

The same wiki artocle says Poland is now getting gas from Norway from a recently completed pipeline, and stopped getting gas from russia. Between the Baltic pipeline, the Poland lithuanian pipeline, and their lng terminal, they should be fine.
View Quote

Gas is still flowing from Russia to Poland through Lithuania and Germany and others. The Baltic countries have no gas fields. It's just a power move by Moscow to screw with them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-04/cut-off-by-moscow-poland-gets-russian-gas-from-its-allies

Norway is a good option to diversify, but more expensive to produce. "As of 2020, the Yamal gas fields produce over 20% of Russia's gas, which is expected to increase to 40% by 2030". Who will consume all that gas?

This is old data, but according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_in_the_European_energy_sector

In 2013 the shares of Russian natural gas in the domestic gas consumption in the EU countries listed were:[20]

Estonia 100%
    Finland 100%
    Latvia 100%
    Lithuania 100%
    Slovakia 100%
    Bulgaria 97%
    Hungary 83%
    Slovenia 72%
    Greece 66%
    Czech Republic 63%
    Austria 62%
    Poland 57%
    Germany 46%
    Italy 34%
    France 18%
    Netherlands 5%
    Belgium 1.1%

I think Germany is still above 20%, so I doubt many countries on this list did better than halve their consumption of Russian gas. Bottom line, they are able to reduce their consumption of Russian gas due to the war effort and sanctions, but diversification does impose a cost on their economy as well, and they are not able to fully eliminate it yet either.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]

I know I'd get Kentucky Fried and roasted if I posted in GD outside of this thread. So I'll stay right here in this boat. :)

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:

And who knows what else they are using them for. Like the story of the Russkie women medics being passed around....
Their barbarism knows no bounds or limits, as we know.

When most of GD sees your avatar

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Triggered-143.gif

I know I'd get Kentucky Fried and roasted if I posted in GD outside of this thread. So I'll stay right here in this boat. :)

It’s a good boat-with good people with moral compasses and a lot of wisdom and knowledge.

Just gotta keep bilging the orc water out occasionally and this can be here for years tracking the rebuild and fallout in Russia. Both will be epic, for different reasons of course!

Hopefully our crewman Jack will be back soon.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Yes, it doesn’t seem Russia has much crème de la crème left for fighting. Or had to begin with. IIRC they had about 4-5 million leave the country. Likely the smarter ones. Some may return when it is over but many won’t.

Of their fighting forces they have lost near 100% of the best they started with. Russia will be impoverished in every aspect at the end of the war.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
Long-term, one problem is the Ukraine is losing better men than the Russians.  Better-trained. Better-adapted. Better able to guide their nation forward had they lived.

Putin's Russia is sending people it doesn't care if it loses.

That is not entirely true though…

Yes, it doesn’t seem Russia has much crème de la crème left for fighting. Or had to begin with. IIRC they had about 4-5 million leave the country. Likely the smarter ones. Some may return when it is over but many won’t.

Of their fighting forces they have lost near 100% of the best they started with. Russia will be impoverished in every aspect at the end of the war.

Speaking of Russian expats, anyone been keeping tabs on that Constantine fellow?

Last I saw he had new years with his family in Tashkent. I don’t know if they were just visiting or made the move.

He works in the solar energy field and was reluctant to leave but did, more or less, at last call leaving his family behind.

With the curtain down and some horrific Orwellian internal KGB suppression kicking off-I hope they left. He seems like a genuine good guy. Has family in Maine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Gas is still flowing from Russia to Poland through Lithuania and Germany and others. The Baltic countries have no gas fields. It's just a power move by Moscow to screw with them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-04/cut-off-by-moscow-poland-gets-russian-gas-from-its-allies

Norway is a good option to diversify, but more expensive to produce. "As of 2020, the Yamal gas fields produce over 20% of Russia's gas, which is expected to increase to 40% by 2030". Who will consume all that gas?

This is old data, but according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_in_the_European_energy_sector

In 2013 the shares of Russian natural gas in the domestic gas consumption in the EU countries listed were:[20]

Estonia 100%
    Finland 100%
    Latvia 100%
    Lithuania 100%
    Slovakia 100%
    Bulgaria 97%
    Hungary 83%
    Slovenia 72%
    Greece 66%
    Czech Republic 63%
    Austria 62%
    Poland 57%
    Germany 46%
    Italy 34%
    France 18%
    Netherlands 5%
    Belgium 1.1%

I think Germany is still above 20%, so I doubt many countries on this list did better than halve their consumption of Russian gas. Bottom line, they are able to reduce their consumption of Russian gas due to the war effort and sanctions, but diversification does impose a cost on their economy as well, and they are not able to fully eliminate it yet either.
View Quote

The baltic pipeline comes from Finland to the baltics. They are getting gas from Finland. What difference does the amount of gas they were getting 10 years ago matter? Start a thread on this if you want. I am done talking about it here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Wait for it, another turret toss.

View Quote

Dayum! That’s a lesson to “leave burning tanks lie” to the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:58:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:06:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#26]

View All Quotes

Rooskie strategery planning:
1) Work hard and install several pipelines to Europe.
2) Invade countries your pipelines pass through, make them hate you.
3) threaten customer countries with invasion and nuclear apocalypse; make them hate you, too.
4) Wonder why nobody buys your oil/gas

Much win!
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Pretty sure I heard “get some” from that Ukrainian at the 7s mark.

You’ll never convince me otherwise-already made the memory!
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

After reading that article on the Strykers and the book House to House about Bradleys in Fallujah I am very hopeful they will perform above expectations in Ukraine in a combined arms role and possibly front line comms, casevac and supply that is too hot for M113.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

Dudayev was pretty great, and it's really sad to me to see what's happened to Chechnya. Things didn't need to turn out the way they did.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:
Interesting meme in that kadyrov tweet.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsdKUG_aAAAq0-u?format=jpg&name=medium

Dudayev was pretty great, and it's really sad to me to see what's happened to Chechnya. Things didn't need to turn out the way they did.

Definitely one of the stupidest US foreign policy decisions of all time, and one that started the ball rolling to where we are today.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Wait for it, another turret toss.

View Quote

Low marks for altitude but 11/10 for artistic expression.  The glowing-red-hot-double-twist was a daring choice.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Reverse genocide.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:

It could even be argued that sending prisoners and typical mobiks is a net positive for Russia: less cost is housing and feeding such people. Maybe less people to agitate for change in Russia.
Reverse genocide.

Absolutely true.  There’s a casualty map floating around.  Russia is clearly trying to exterminate their ethnic minorities and preserve “ethnic Russians.”
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#32]
ISW assessment for March 30th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-30-2023

View All Quotes

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-30-2023

Putin remains unlikely to deploy newly conscripted troops to participate in combat in Ukraine due to concerns for the stability of his regime. Chairman of the Russian State Duma Defense Committee Andrey Kartapolov stated on March 30 that spring conscripts will not deploy to Russian-occupied territories in Ukraine during the spring 2023 conscription cycle.[5] Kartapolov also noted that Russian forces will not conscript men from occupied territories.

The start of the new conscription period, even with a slightly increased number of conscripts, may actually reduce Russian training capacity for reservists and other personnel recruited via crypto-mobilization campaigns. Russia has limited training capacity and allocating it to training conscripts who will not fight in 2023 deprives the Kremlin of the opportunity to train reservists and volunteers who would. The Kremlin may seek to increase its combat personnel in Ukraine by coercing spring 2022 conscripts who are finishing their one-year service into signing military contracts, since these freshly discharged conscriptions would need less additional training before deploying to Ukraine. It is far from clear how successful such an effort will be.

Wouldn’t surprise me if this goes by the wayside if Russia needs to plug holes in their line this spring/summer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Wouldn’t surprise me if this goes by the wayside if Russia needs to plug holes in their line this spring/summer.
View All Quotes

Putin remains unlikely to deploy newly conscripted troops to participate in combat in Ukraine due to concerns for the stability of his regime. Chairman of the Russian State Duma Defense Committee Andrey Kartapolov stated on March 30 that spring conscripts will not deploy to Russian-occupied territories in Ukraine during the spring 2023 conscription cycle.[5] Kartapolov also noted that Russian forces will not conscript men from occupied territories.

The start of the new conscription period, even with a slightly increased number of conscripts, may actually reduce Russian training capacity for reservists and other personnel recruited via crypto-mobilization campaigns. Russia has limited training capacity and allocating it to training conscripts who will not fight in 2023 deprives the Kremlin of the opportunity to train reservists and volunteers who would. The Kremlin may seek to increase its combat personnel in Ukraine by coercing spring 2022 conscripts who are finishing their one-year service into signing military contracts, since these freshly discharged conscriptions would need less additional training before deploying to Ukraine. It is far from clear how successful such an effort will be.

I worry about 10,000 that might be sent to Belarus to be trained on SOF Dance Routine Tactics. You really want to look up out of the trench and see THAT coming across the field at you?!

That was a long read but basically seems to be implying:
- Russia has no secret reserve of “best yet to come” army waiting to attack
- Russia does not have the means to train a new large influx of conscripts beyond replacement levels. The previous quarterly mobilization is already digested in the field

And it does mention that a new large mobilization could destabilize Putin’s power hold. Sounds good for Ukraine as it does get stronger every day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

What stuck out to me from one of the other recent Stryker videos, was the absolutely fucking HUUUGGEE water can racks and the bustle rack over the troop ramp. Seriously, room for ~8 water or fuel cans, and a fuck load of MREs or POL over the back. Just...a comical amount of stuff...but on the other hand it makes a lot of sense.

4L per person per day (if you're generous), and 6/8 cans with only water means 120L for 12 dudes (3 crew and 9 dismounts)...so give or take 2.5 DOS. 2 cans of diesel for...whatever, and most of the top rack full of cases of MREs. 24 meals per case and let's say 6 cases, so maybe 4 DOS (probably less because nobody will eat the vegetarian omelet, unless they are trying to extract information from prisoners).

Then any of their sleeping bags and other gear has to be lashed to the side rails, or carried forward by different vehicles, or just left behind until later.

I kind of think that aside from the muddy ground, a lot of improvement and simplification will be gained in warmer and drier weather because these dudes will just be able to sleep in their most recent scrape and throw a poncho over themselves if there is any weather.

This is a HUGE simplification to logistical requirements compared to the winter time, I don't care if the ground is frozen or not.

SPRING TIME IS FIGHTIN' TIME! MOSCOVY MOBIK MEAT IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS!
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:40:50 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Well, to be fair Poland did invade Russia once and they never forgot that
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
When most of GD sees your avatar

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Triggered-143.gif
View Quote

Can someone please photoshop that into mine. I have folks to offend and as the president of the volodymr zelenskyy fan club I have my job to do
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Russian energy isn’t cheaper, it simply moves some costs into non-monetary realms.  Once you try to account for these costs, Russian energy is probably far, far over market value.
Europe has already curtailed/ended their dependence on Russian energy.  They’ve built and will continue to build LNG terminals at a record pace.  That is a massive investment that isn’t going to disappear.
They’re already signed legally binding long-term contracts with reliable energy partners.   People who keep saying that “they can’t afford to give up Russian gas” are dead wrong.  It’s a done deal. There are legal contracts in place that Europe couldn’t break even if they wanted to, and they don’t want to.  Putin already played the energy card and played it poorly.

If Europe gets Russian gas again it will probably be in the form of war reparations from a prostrate and desperate Russia.
View Quote

Poland and England signed a contract with Pakistan for a huge amount of ordnance including Pakistani made manpads
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#38]

View All Quotes

Russian energy isn't cheaper, it simply moves some costs into non-monetary realms.  Once you try to account for these costs, Russian energy is probably far, far over market value.
Europe has already curtailed/ended their dependence on Russian energy.  They've built and will continue to build LNG terminals at a record pace.  That is a massive investment that isn't going to disappear.
They're already signed legally binding long-term contracts with reliable energy partners.   People who keep saying that "they can't afford to give up Russian gas" are dead wrong.  It's a done deal. There are legal contracts in place that Europe couldn't break even if they wanted to, and they don't want to.  Putin already played the energy card and played it poorly.

I read the article you cited and it’s rather poorly written.  Some data refers to prewar numbers, some are 2022 numbers.  You have to read carefully to figure our what it’s really saying.
One infographic indicates that Russian gas to Europe had fallen from about 22% prewar to 4% by December 2022, with their remaining gas customers probably being Slovenia and Hungary.
Germany is not buying any pipeline gas from Russia.  It is unclear from sources whether Germany bought LNG from Russia.
Recent article - EU telling members not to sign contracts for LNG cargoes going forward.  Russian LNG supply went up but remains a drop in the bucket compared to their former pipeline sales.
Here’s one.
Here’s the German government saying so on Twitter.
Here’s a fairly technical one with fancy charts showing gas flows to and through Germany.
German gas imports ended in September 2022.

Qatar is only one piece of the puzzle.  The US and Norway are the other big pieces, and those don’t go through Suez.
There is already a very well-developed network of NG pipelines across Europe.  They won’t be trucking the stuff.
Germany ran down their reserves 40% with the existing LNG terminal infrastructure and having to source cargoes on a short term (very costly)  basis.  That is ALREADY a thing of the past as Germany activated two new terminals over the winter with more coming.  Winter of 2022-23 was the ONLY time Russia could threaten Europe’s energy sovreignty.  They failed and are going to pay the price.

Excellent and detailed article about European LNG capacity and future plans.

India isn't making Mercedes and isn't going to challenge Europe economically any time soon.  In fact it seems the Euros are quite happy for India to buy Russian oil at a deep discount, refine it, and sell it into Europe.  Russia is barely making cost of production (if that) India is reaping a nice windfall, and Europe gets diesel.  
China with full access to Russian energy is a far bigger problem for the west, however, I tend to think that problem will solve itself before we get there.

You really should watch some Euro news content on Youtube.  There is plenty of info out there on all this, although generally the issue is in the rearview mirror for Europe.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:18:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
He made headlines just days before the murder, when residents pleaded for help after he drunkenly wandered around with a pitchfork and ax, yelling, “I'll kill everyone.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/convicted-killer-freed-by-wagner-comes-home-from-ukraine-and-kills-again

A convicted killer sentenced to 14 years in a maximum security prison in Russia got the break of his life when the notorious Wagner Group began recruiting inmates for the war against Ukraine last year—and now free, he’s murdered someone again.

Ivan Rossomakhin, 28, is accused of another murder in his native village in the Kirov region less than three years after he was ordered to spend more than a decade behind bars, MediaZona reports. During that time, he managed to avail himself of Wagner’s prison-recruitment scheme, whereby inmates receive a full pardon if they survive six months fighting in Ukraine.

Rossomakhin had reportedly only been back home in the village of Novy Buryets for eight days “on break” when a local resident discovered their mother’s dead body. She’d been badly beaten and was found with stab wounds, according to sources cited by Baza.
View Quote

Russia is a lawless society.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:32:22 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

I'm hoping he goes back to Wagner, serves another 6 months, then returns to Russia to kill again
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Poland and England signed a contract with Pakistan for a huge amount of ordnance including Pakistani made manpads
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Russian energy isn’t cheaper, it simply moves some costs into non-monetary realms.  Once you try to account for these costs, Russian energy is probably far, far over market value.
Europe has already curtailed/ended their dependence on Russian energy.  They’ve built and will continue to build LNG terminals at a record pace.  That is a massive investment that isn’t going to disappear.
They’re already signed legally binding long-term contracts with reliable energy partners.   People who keep saying that “they can’t afford to give up Russian gas” are dead wrong.  It’s a done deal. There are legal contracts in place that Europe couldn’t break even if they wanted to, and they don’t want to.  Putin already played the energy card and played it poorly.

Is that going to be enough for Pakistan to keep the lights on?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:36:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#42]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#43]

Just like in history, Russia always seems to be troubled by agriculture.

https://media.giphy.com/media/NuUXgzSOPnWFkNKeE3/giphy.gif
View Quote

Did anyone else watch this vid and imagine the tractor driver yelling  "You're late on the payments Ivan"
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#44]
From the decline in Russian casualties I suspect the Russian offensive is over.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:07:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Ben Hodges should sit down with Trump

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Its a month old but still relevant

Russia’s War on Ukraine at Year One ft. Gen. Breedlove, Gen. Hodges, and Adm. Foggo

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Update from Ukraine | The collapse of the Ruzzian Federation is more than possible and here is why

Great summary and atypical for him an editorial on the possibility that Russia will collapse and how that might come about. He uses the “1917” word a couple of times.

Interesting that he says it is inevitable. Putin will not stop and so he will continue the fight until he is removed or Russia collapses and cannot fight anymore. Oligarchs are privately scared and see no future in Russia for themselves or their families.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Ben Hodges should sit down with Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Nt-ZZRqGI
View Quote

Excellent video. We need such clear headed and decisively thinking in the pentagon and WH. I still fear that out of resentment over the Burisma prosecution the Biden will try to fuck up Ukraine. I hope someone pulling his strings is wiser.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:20:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Excellent video. We need such clear headed and decisively thinking in the pentagon and WH. I still fear that out of resentment over the Burisma prosecution the Biden will try to fuck up Ukraine. I hope someone pulling his strings is wiser.
View Quote
Unfortunately I don't think we will get him or someone like him in any admin soon. I think he is too honest for any possible admin to have.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3792 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top