Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3906 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prime:

THAT makes more sense.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

THAT makes more sense.

It has the same hole under the L
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Some of this is true. But before the invasion, the Ukrainians made many mistakes that cost them. Once the invasion kicked off, there were other mistakes and LOTS of confusion. Ad hoc TD units and just plain civilian patriots went out and started shooting at the Russians, causing many delays and allowed key units and equipment to get it together and move into beneficial positions. Hostomel was defended with VERY light forces that got kicked out by the VDV. UA reinforcement eventually re-took Hostomel after lots of bloody fighting. It should have been an expected place for an RU attack yet was very weakly defended. Those two UA arty brigades did save the day though.

I will argue that the UA defense was no more competent than the Russian invasion. But the HUGE difference was the various TD units and especially the fact that everyone, from civilian volunteer to UA General knew they were under attack and had the general "commander's intent" to just go out and shoot at the Russians. The very limited routs into Kiev did the rest.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

The early days of the war were an intelligence victory. It wasn't our weapons that stopped the Russians from a fast win. It was two brigades of Ukrainian artillery pounding the road the Russians tried to advance on - just happened to know to be there. That hilarious Russian convoy wasn't stopped by weather, broken equipment, indecision, or by local partisans with Javelins - it was stopped by artillery that just happened to be in exactly the right place at the right time. And when the Russian special forces landed in Kiev airport - the Ukrainians were waiting.

The Russians didn't have a bad plan. We just knew what it was, and told the Ukrainians where to be and what to do to stop them.

Some of this is true. But before the invasion, the Ukrainians made many mistakes that cost them. Once the invasion kicked off, there were other mistakes and LOTS of confusion. Ad hoc TD units and just plain civilian patriots went out and started shooting at the Russians, causing many delays and allowed key units and equipment to get it together and move into beneficial positions. Hostomel was defended with VERY light forces that got kicked out by the VDV. UA reinforcement eventually re-took Hostomel after lots of bloody fighting. It should have been an expected place for an RU attack yet was very weakly defended. Those two UA arty brigades did save the day though.

I will argue that the UA defense was no more competent than the Russian invasion. But the HUGE difference was the various TD units and especially the fact that everyone, from civilian volunteer to UA General knew they were under attack and had the general "commander's intent" to just go out and shoot at the Russians. The very limited routs into Kiev did the rest.

@ITCHY-FINGER. Is there a write up on those arty guys and what went on?  I’d love to read it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Wow, cushioned seats!  Except for the blown tires and obligatory Ru trash, it looks in decent shape.
View Quote

Sure the Ukies can fix it, but how are they gonna get rid of the stink?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Heroic Ukrainian pilot's cockpit cam shows daring below-radar flight
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I didn't know that the Jews were presented so much alongside the Ukrainians in Soviet propaganda.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, I didn't know that the Jews were presented so much alongside the Ukrainians in Soviet propaganda.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUza6ZXoAAizVb?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUzcf1XwAAUegk?format=png&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUznF1XoAAI_zk?format=png&name=small

View Quote

There's a fairly noteworthy amount of Russian political culture that is openly anti-Semitic. There's been a big push in Russia to view Bolshevism as having been a Jewish conspiracy, you can find plenty of examples of Russian nationalists talking about how Ukraine is controlled by the Jews, etc. When Putin rambles about Satanists, I'm reasonably sure that's just a dog whistle for anti-Semitic Russian nationalists. Ultimately, I think that stuff like this is a large part of the reason that the Western alt-right (I'm not using the left's definition of alt-right here) supports Russia.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Leader of the Georgian Legion.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#11]

And people said they were good for nothing.

Compost and pig food are perfect examples of why that isn't true
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Some details on US plans to create a more flexible Iron Dome type defense for units in this thread.

Added laser weapons in the 300kW range.

It networks with all the things.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Abakan:

Just like trains, tanks are too heavy for ball bearings, they will use cylindrical roller bearing or conicam roller bearings. Knowing what cheap asses the russian swines are it would not surprise me to find ball bearings tho with an extremely short life.

And yes, FAG/SKF all the way for any bearings. The Chinese shit is just that and the ruZZian crap is "unbearingable" LOL
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Abakan:
Originally Posted By CS223:
I can tell you from personal experience that Russian ball bearings are some of the worst POS bearings there are. Chinese are bad enough but Russian are beyond garbage, scrapped hundreds of dollars worth new in the wrap.

Just like trains, tanks are too heavy for ball bearings, they will use cylindrical roller bearing or conicam roller bearings. Knowing what cheap asses the russian swines are it would not surprise me to find ball bearings tho with an extremely short life.

And yes, FAG/SKF all the way for any bearings. The Chinese shit is just that and the ruZZian crap is "unbearingable" LOL

Fixed for you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

We DID train the Ukrainians over the last few decades.   snip
View Quote

I dont disagree.

To be fair, the discussion of how to protect from UAVs is mostly a Russian problem.

The big thing I would say is that at this point in WWI, say 1915, mass armies were getting pretty sophisticated at trenches and fieldcraft and the learning curve in 2023 is more horizontal.
The dogfaces of WWII got really good at chopping down trees and ransacking stuff for overhead cover.  In our CTCs, defense has leader tasks.  now some of it is a little luxurious, like shipping plywood, but there is an intersection of logisticians and combat engineers to supply defensive class IV supplies that it appears in the Ukraine is deemphasized.  Grunts get a shovel and occasionally some lumber, and that's it.  Russians appear to get shovels. That's it.

I am somewhat curious how big the Corps of Engineers is in the Ukrainian Army, because its not that hard and its pretty cheap.  I think the average Combat Engineer who has some survivability training and a few CTC  deployments has some insight to share, but it requires the intersection of engineering and logistics.  Anyway, that horse has been beaten to death.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mcooper:

@ITCHY-FINGER. Is there a write up on those arty guys and what went on?  I’d love to read it.
View Quote

I dont have much info on the UA arty brigades. They are mentioned in some articles and video but nothing too detailed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Capta:

It strikes me that the drone threat must be like antipersonnel mines were historically, but worse.  You can die horribly any time.  You are never safe.  You see people all around you maimed and killed.  If you’re wounded, expect follow-up.  You know that your enemy gets to watch you die miserably and enjoy it.
No thanks.
View Quote

I think drones are going to be more like aircraft.  We are seeing technology used in certain ways, portrayed on the internet in certain ways.  Tip of the iceberg.

The downward cost in precision munitions, the effect of an unkillable (people terms anyway) Command and control node in the sky, as well as a forward observer, will revolutionize things. The ability to circumvent the fog of war ground dwelling combatants have accepted for thousand of years will hurt your head.

Tactically, an army fighting without drones will eb like one fighting without an air force.  We don't really know where its going but it will be big.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

There's a fairly noteworthy amount of Russian political culture that is openly anti-Semitic. There's been a big push in Russia to view Bolshevism as having been a Jewish conspiracy, you can find plenty of examples of Russian nationalists talking about how Ukraine is controlled by the Jews, etc. When Putin rambles about Satanists, I'm reasonably sure that's just a dog whistle for anti-Semitic Russian nationalists. Ultimately, I think that stuff like this is a large part of the reason that the Western alt-right (I'm not using the left's definition of alt-right here) supports Russia.
View Quote

Wait a minute!! Russia had to invade Ukraine because the country is "full of nazi's controlled by Jews"...? The mind of a Russian Nationalist must be a scary convoluted place.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Banditman] [#18]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

I think drones are going to be more like aircraft.  We are seeing technology used in certain ways, portrayed on the internet in certain ways.  Tip of the iceberg.

The downward cost in precision munitions, the effect of an unkillable (people terms anyway) Command and control node in the sky, as well as a forward observer, will revolutionize things. The ability to circumvent the fog of war ground dwelling combatants have accepted for thousand of years will hurt your head.

Tactically, an army fighting without drones will eb like one fighting without an air force.  We don't really know where its going but it will be big.
View Quote

This video seems to be pretty reasonable about the future fighter and combined drone forces.

The Navy's new stealth fighter and the future of American AirPower
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#19]
First person shooter. Ukrainian Forces storm Russian. Insane footage! #shorts #warinukraine
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#20]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mcooper:

View Quote

I believe BBC also did a documentary on the re-taking of the airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppGvpthc11g
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#22]

I dont have much info on the UA arty brigades. They are mentioned in some articles and video but nothing too detailed.
View Quote

Pretty sure this has been posted before: https://wartranslated.com/pravda-com-ua-interview-ukrainian-colonel-oleh-shevchuk/
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:46:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#23]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

I don't necessarily agree with you. Nobody's forcing an average Russian to listen to official propaganda and nobody has been imprisoned for perusing Western news sites, through a VPN or otherwise. Those who choose to be ignorant can blame only themselves for their ignorance.

They are the Russian version of what late Rush Limbaugh called low information voters.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alex9661:
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

It doesn't help that most western news outlets and basic communication with the outside world is monitored, restricted or both.

Listening to the Russian propaganda channels should enlighten anyone concerned, about how the general population has been brainwashed. It also proves people can be manipulated into believing almost anything.

I don't necessarily agree with you. Nobody's forcing an average Russian to listen to official propaganda and nobody has been imprisoned for perusing Western news sites, through a VPN or otherwise. Those who choose to be ignorant can blame only themselves for their ignorance.

They are the Russian version of what late Rush Limbaugh called low information voters.

I made the decision to jump "ahead" from page 3,815 and it looks like I landed on a good quote.

Low-information voters, leftist or conservative (but *especially* leftist) are definitely damaging our country.  I don't know how much actual damage they are doing but the absolute lunacy you see on the East and West coast, plus little enclaves of insanity like Chicago, Austin, and Minneapolis, and it's not hard to imagine a population "going the way of Russia" if oppressed generationally for a long enough time.  

Ukraine need to *extensively* work to protect itself from leftist infiltration, both now and when the war is finished.  I have no doubt Russia will still try to damage Ukraine by those means when the military force option is no longer feasible (as if it ever was).
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

And people said they were good for nothing.

Compost and pig food are perfect examples of why that isn't true
View Quote

I think I speak for all when I say we reaaallly want to touch base with that grandma handing out sunflower seeds. The OG fella
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Wait a minute!! Russia had to invade Ukraine because the country is "full of nazi's controlled by Jews"...? The mind of a Russian Nationalist must be a scary convoluted place.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

The mental gymnastics are Olympian! Just look at that pic Prime posted. A Jew with the Star of David and a Ukr with Hakenkreuze…  And the Russian brains see that and go- “Da, checks out comrade!”

Fucking amazing

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View Quote
Holy hell. That is one way to make the hole bigger.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Really not much to get out of this interview

Robin Horsfall - The Spring Offensive has Begun - Can Ukraine Surprise with Bold and Decisive Gains?

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:23:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#30]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUr0_9X0AAiGSr?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUr2NxX0AAZdAR?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUr4DPWcAAzhyW?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUr5c8WIAAeLgN?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

They need to talk to these people. https://www.usnetting.com/fence/snow-fence/ and see if it can be made into 8' widths. Make frames out of 2" pvc pipe. The fence can be made in green or brown.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Those dangerous Catholics haven't spoken a word of Latin since the late 1960's.
View Quote

https://www.latinmassdir.org/country/us/

You better tell those folks.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#33]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View Quote

McFaul should slink away after his BS "reset" policy and that he missed Crimea as ambassador.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

The mental gymnastics are Olympian! Just look at that pic Prime posted. A Jew with the Star of David and a Ukr with Hakenkreuze…  And the Russian brains see that and go- “Da, checks out comrade!”

Fucking amazing
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/D16DA8C9-14E5-4E48-8DDA-FB557C8CE4E7-2791970.jpg
View Quote

Easy. After Israel decided communism was a bad idea, the USSR pivoted to support Arabs and vilify Israel. They also stopped the Jews who wanted to emigrate to Israel until the US pressured them into allowing it, and even then it was a pain.
And of course they didn't like the Ukrainian nationalists.
So this reads Jewish nationalism bad, Ukrainian nationalism bad, Communist internationalism good. And both are puppets of the Western imperialism because surely the people can't have any agency.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:25:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#36]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
View Quote
 Work is planned to be completed in February 2025.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#41]
This diatribe by one of Russia’s top leaders should be enough to convince every Western nation that Russia is a terrorist state and should be dealt with as such. Do not negotiate with terrorists.

Medvedev Off His Meds? Ex-Russian Prez Threatens to Send ‘Eternal Enemy’ Britain Into ‘Abyss’ with Nukes

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ludder093:

View Quote

Everyone who hates the upcoming 6.8 rifle should rejoice. Army is worried another CR this year means no $ for “future” projects. I can’t think of anything for any branch that’s not delayed from subs to the Coast Guard polar ship replacement
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Yeah this is going to go on for a while. The recent interest in non-combat vets tells me they have slots to fill that aren't getting filled. After 14 months a recruiter finally met with me.

At the least I get to go shoot some fun guns next week. Sounds like an opportunity to see if i can handle firearms before we go any further.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#44]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuQ6NCTWcAAumZf?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

More numerous and smaller Nuke plants is the right future!

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

M1114, a bit of a bastard model. Was transitional between the no/light armor M10XX trucks (which they had to make add on armor for) and the later M115X/M116X trucks which had it integrated. Something looks off about the snorkel, doesn't look factory.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/HMMWV_variants_versions_generations_jpg-2791370.JPG

ETA: The one in the video Ben shared with the M1165A1 is actually one of the newest models and not on that chart.
View Quote

OK cool thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

It doesn't even say the planes are for ukraine...just says they would be the best option for Ukraine..click bait BS
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

Yup.   Don't forget those dangerous Catholics that listen to their services in Latin.  

Lordie, we are so doomed.

LOL, what?  The Latin Mass persists to the present.  It's what my parish uses.  I guess I was just imagining things.  And the FBI did indeed make it seem like conservative and traditional Catholics, especially those who prefer the Latin Mass, were some kind of threat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#48]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuUnyqOXoAEZ85A?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Could we NOT post anything from the attention-whoring tranny?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Yeah this is going to go on for a while. The recent interest in non-combat vets tells me they have slots to fill that aren't getting filled. After 14 months a recruiter finally met with me.

At the least I get to go shoot some fun guns next week. Sounds like an opportunity to see if i can handle firearms before we go any further.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Good luck, man. Godspeed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Looks like they're having fun to me.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3906 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top