Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3911 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
English-speaking "NATO" troops intercepted by Russia

Well, that's an iinteresting infowar attempt if true.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Dear Adolf Putin,

You crackheads couldn't decrypt your own handwriting.

Sincerely,
"NATO"
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I agree with this. If/when China (or whoever) develops body armor that will easily stop our 5.56, we should practice shooting them in the face and hip, legs, or better yet just keep them pinned down until something with boom can be delivered rather than developing some 20lb "rifle" in .270WSSM than no one will carry to clear a trench.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

Small arms don't matter much in conventional warfare and haven't in at least a century. The main purpose of small arms is to suppress dismounted enemy infantry long enough that they can get plastered with supporting arms, and right now, 5.56 and 7.62 do that job just fine. I don't recall many Ukrainians complaining that their small arms are unable to suppress and kill Russians, and they don't have super sexy polymer 6.8.

In terms of infantry stuff, I'd rather we place our emphasis on drones down to the squad level, better marksmanship and fire control training, more HE weapons, more thermals, etc. I'd like the capability to fly a small unit ISR drone above the enemy's position, spot them, and then hammer them with patrol mortars, airbursting Carl Gustaf rounds, an AGL, etc. I can see replacing 7.62 NATO with polymer 6.8, and the new optic looks kinda cool, but there's better places to be spending our time and money in terms of increasing our infantry's effectiveness in near peer conflicts.

I agree with this. If/when China (or whoever) develops body armor that will easily stop our 5.56, we should practice shooting them in the face and hip, legs, or better yet just keep them pinned down until something with boom can be delivered rather than developing some 20lb "rifle" in .270WSSM than no one will carry to clear a trench.

I honestly don't think that penetrating plates with small arms is a very important capability. The head, neck, arms, legs, hips, etc. are all still exposed. We just spent 20 years fighting dudes with small arms that couldn't penetrate our plates, but we still got suppressed and took casualties from small arms all the time, and lots of the dudes we frequently fought couldn't shoot for shit. It's just not a capability that I think matters very much. If I want to get around their plates, I'll use HE to do it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
It also lines up well with "Countries where you can flush toilet paper"
View Quote

Then exclude Saudi Arabia from the list...
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Schmigs:
View Quote

It's about time (if this is true). I think we all expect this to happen eventually, hopefully in Moscow...
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
World Military Spending Rises to Record as Insecurity Swells
-Inflation-adjusted defense expenditure grew 3.7% in 2022
-European nations spent most since the end of Cold War

https://archive.ph/3oW52

Global military spending rose to a record last year, spurred by a policy U-turn in Europe where governments boosted capabilities by the most since the end of the Cold War in the wake of Russia’s all-out invasion of Ukraine.

Defense expenditure increased by 3.7% in real terms to reach a record high of $2.24 trillion in 2022, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, SIPRI, said on Monday. About half the annual increase was due to Ukraine’s ballooning military budget, according to data for the eastern European country that excludes foreign aid.

Arms budgets are expanding across Europe in response to Russia’s aggression at the same time as tensions in East Asia are prompting larger outlays in that part of the world.

“The continuous rise in global military expenditure in recent years is a sign that we are living in an increasingly insecure world,” SIPRI senior researcher Nan Tian said in a statement. “States are bolstering military strength in response to a deteriorating security environment, which they do not foresee improving in the near future.”

Russia’s War Puts Focus on Huge Korean Artillery Stockpiles
-North and South Korea may have more than a million shells
-Yoon hints at possible shift in war aid policy for Ukraine

https://archive.ph/w3IU0

Half a world away from the front line of Russia’s war in Ukraine there’s a stockpile of probably more than a million artillery shells on the Korean peninsula — a hoard that’s drawing attention as South Korea’s leader heads to Washington.

President Yoon Suk Yeol has indicated his government may be open to changing its policy about providing lethal aid to Ukraine under certain conditions. That would be welcome news for US President Joe Biden, who has been seeking help from partners to ease Kyiv’s perennial ammunition shortage.

Yoon’s office said any decision to send lethal aid depends on   how far Russia goes in stepping up attacks on civilians. Yoon is due to meet Biden for a state visit on Wednesday, with security and economic cooperation high on the agenda.

The Koreas have two of the world’s largest artillery forces, with thousands of big guns pointing at each other across the demilitarized zone that separates them. They have stockpiled hundreds of thousands of shells that include North Korean artillery inter-operable with Soviet-era artillery in Russia, and South Korean 155 mm caliber shells, which are the standard used by the NATO countries supplying Ukraine.

“You can bet the stocks of both North and South easily exceed a million shells of differing types,” said Joost Oliemans, a weapons expert who co-authored the book The Armed Forces of North Korea. “Both operate many thousands of artillery pieces, which, even without being restocked, would necessitate hundreds of thousands of shells,” he said.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]

I honestly don't think that penetrating plates with small arms is a very important capability. The head, neck, arms, legs, hips, etc. are all still exposed. We just spent 20 years fighting dudes with small arms that couldn't penetrate our plates, but we still got suppressed and took casualties from small arms all the time, and lots of the dudes we frequently fought couldn't shoot for shit. It's just not a capability that I think matters very much. If I want to get around their plates, I'll use HE to do it.
View All Quotes

Small arms don't matter much in conventional warfare and haven't in at least a century. The main purpose of small arms is to suppress dismounted enemy infantry long enough that they can get plastered with supporting arms, and right now, 5.56 and 7.62 do that job just fine. I don't recall many Ukrainians complaining that their small arms are unable to suppress and kill Russians, and they don't have super sexy polymer 6.8.

In terms of infantry stuff, I'd rather we place our emphasis on drones down to the squad level, better marksmanship and fire control training, more HE weapons, more thermals, etc. I'd like the capability to fly a small unit ISR drone above the enemy's position, spot them, and then hammer them with patrol mortars, airbursting Carl Gustaf rounds, an AGL, etc. I can see replacing 7.62 NATO with polymer 6.8, and the new optic looks kinda cool, but there's better places to be spending our time and money in terms of increasing our infantry's effectiveness in near peer conflicts.

Wasn't the 2ID investigated for the number of headshot enemy that started showing up?
I mean, don't get me wrong. Body armor is a necessity.... But if a guy with a scoped rifle gets the drop on you, you're DRT.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]

It's about time (if this is true). I think we all expect this to happen eventually, hopefully in Moscow...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Schmigs:

Agree, this is excellent news if true and I hope UKR is doing what it can PSYOPS wise to encourage it
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Wasn't the 2ID investigated for the number of headshot enemy that started showing up?
I mean, don't get me wrong. Body armor is a necessity.... But if a guy with a scoped rifle gets the drop on you, you're DRT.
View All Quotes

I think that was Marines in Fallujah, aided by acogs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Exactly. And if they develop a Level V suit of armor that protects almost everything, it will be very hard to move. By then little drones and pulse rifles will be the threat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Russian IFV with infantry on it hit by ATGM.
View Quote

Certainly looked like the guys on the outside got the worst of it. I wonder if better than ERA?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Certainly looked like the guys on the outside got the worst of it. I wonder if better than ERA?
View Quote

Just stack mobiks on everything? Really not that far off their overall strategy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
A not to well narrated video synopsis featuring lots and lots of Russian armour being blown up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWVvmoVgec
View Quote

Narration was fine! He has some unusual pronunciations but it was a great compilation of explodey Russian vehicles.
Thank you for posting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

They have boats, they have warheads, but who do they get their missiles from?
View Quote
joint. SSP.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

Can you elaborate on milk producing bulls?
View Quote

Roy Munson managed to do it
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]

His strategy to hold Bakhmut as long as possible seems to be paying off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#20]

A face to the Wagner leader doing the beheadings in Syria and Ukraine.  The thread contains a NSFW pic.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#21]

Nice to see Theiner is watching these developments. I imagine “the feint that isn’t a feint” will be delayed in reporting but there has to be thousands of eyes watching every movement forward. Sometimes too much information is as bad as not enough. Especially if the Rooskies lack as much up to the hour satellite imagery and spotty comms.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Stephen King is an idiot compared to Elon in their Twitter exchanges. In this one King invites a smack down. Regardless if one thinks Musk has done as much as he could for Ukraine, no one can deny he has made a substantial contribution—more so than any self-important wind bag on Twitter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#23]
From the Cri-me-a River news desk:
https://twitter.com/albafella1/status/1650303236975337474

In #Sevastopol, with an interval of 8 minutes, two powerful explosions were heard, which were heard in the Gagarinsky, Leninsky and Nakhimovsky districts of the city.

And…
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I would think the drones would be very useful when Ukranians are trying to take trenches. A drone buzzing russian trenches would have to freak  out and the russians and cause them to focus their attention on the drone instead of on the attacking Ukranians. It wouldn't much matter if the drone was armed or not. A cheap way to shape the battlefield.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:

You could probably conduct a pretty good psyop with just a recording of drone prop noise and a good set of speakers.

If you did it often enough late at night. The reflex to look around would just go away.

I would think the drones would be very useful when Ukranians are trying to take trenches. A drone buzzing russian trenches would have to freak  out and the russians and cause them to focus their attention on the drone instead of on the attacking Ukranians. It wouldn't much matter if the drone was armed or not. A cheap way to shape the battlefield.

Start doing night attacks with drones equipped with Glow Sticks.

Then just start harassing them with a mix of armed an unarmed glowstick equipped drones while UA sneak up on them at night.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
The more jam proof Skylink satellite enclosure.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Note to self: keep huge stock of landmines under a tarp or something.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

NEVER getting old.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Training of soldiers of the Armed Forces on Leopard tanks in Poland 🇵🇱
The Third Force

https://t.me/The3rdForceUA/16320
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:00:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#35]
lol, beat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Iraq had a lot of headshots.  Jihadis didn't wear Kevlars, and with the suicide vest threat, a lot of headshots were taken, as suddenly missing brain matter impedes triggering IEDs and suicide vests..  This was one of the reasons they scrubbed the preservative off of the M14s and sent them over, as well as decent individual optics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#37]
My search-fu sucks so sorry if this made it into the thread already, didn't see it on the last two pages.

Looks like Ukraine has crossed the Dnipro near Kherson and has a position established with stable supply lines into Oleshky:

https://nypost.com/2023/04/23/ukrainian-forces-establish-a-foothold-along-dnipro-river-as-spring-counteroffensive-speculation-mounts/
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

My search-fu sucks so sorry if this made it into the thread already, didn't see it on the last two pages.

Looks like Ukraine has crossed the Dnipro near Kherson and has a position established with stable supply lines into Oleshky:

https://nypost.com/2023/04/23/ukrainian-forces-establish-a-foothold-along-dnipro-river-as-spring-counteroffensive-speculation-mounts/
View Quote

We talked about it. It is mostly swamp and bog. Not suited for a bridgehead for a major operation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:23:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#41]
Images coming in from the drone attack in Sevastopol.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
The more jam proof Skylink satellite enclosure.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FubHgrUXoAUjDHa?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
Cool idea to use mesh size that blocks gps signals but lets Starlink data frequencies through.

I'm curious what they're doing here though. I'm not positive how Starlinks are setup.
Do they acquire a gps signal and then when it's set up, they seal the cage, and it'll keep working in the absence of a new gps signal?
I thought the other post said something about leaving the top open and it still shielded enough against directional gps attacks but I could be misremembering.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Need a lot of those under the launch mount.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#44]
That's a solid fire
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#45]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FucfiKjWAAAz8A7?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

My only question, regular or menthol?

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Taken with a potato
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Start doing night attacks with drones equipped with Glow Sticks.

Then just start harassing them with a mix of armed an unarmed glowstick equipped drones while UA sneak up on them at night.
View Quote

Good lord. The russians would be able to see those things for miles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

Need a lot of those under the launch mount.

View Quote
Its been done

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
Perfect.

New era trampoline.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3911 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top