Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3995 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:38:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

How about they announce this kind of stuff by sinking something first!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

I have a suspicion that every announcement is probably carefully thought out.   Some countries are supplying some serious gear and it's not even mentioned until discovered months after the fact.   Others are making warnings and examples to other countries with their contributions.  It seems like the West is giving the last warnings of an off ramp for Russia before the pain level gets kicked up to the next level.

Honestly I don't understand the politics of it all, I'm used to supplying the proper tools to most efficiently and quickly destroy a threat with the least risk to our guys/customer.

I'm used to the solution to the problem being very sudden, overwhelmingly violent, and a total surprise to the enemy to throw him off balance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Israeli strikes, if you want to see what bunker busting JDAM's do.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

Will they be guided by NATO's real time data?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Originally Posted By burnka871:
I wonder what they plan on launching them off of

Article says they can launch off of MiG jets. So they have what they need for launching. I would love to see the Ruskie faces when they see UA jets launch from 50km back at high altitude and missiles inbound for targets 200km behind the lines!!

Storm Shadow down your throats!!

Probably.  I would bet the stuff the Poles are sending is "wired for sound".
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:55:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#6]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
I wonder what they plan on launching them off of

Article says they can launch off of MiG jets. So they have what they need for launching. I would love to see the Ruskie faces when they see UA jets launch from 50km back at high altitude and missiles inbound for targets 200km behind the lines!!

Storm Shadow down your throats!!

The system has multiple ways of getting to it's target.

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/projects/raq3f549e5ccceb2#.ZFz0IHbMKUk

Navigation using (TERrain PROfile Matching) system as well as GPS, Terminal guidance using imaging infra-red sensor, Autonomous target recognition algorithms, BROACH warhead.

MBD�s� Storm Shadow system is based on the proven technology used in the French Apache anti-runway missile. Storm Shadow is an air-launched, conventionally-armed, long-range, stand-off, precision weapon, which is deployable at night or day, in most weather and operational conditions. It is being developed to attack and destroy a wide spectrum of static, high value targets as listed below:�

Command Control and Communications facilities

Airfield facilities

Port facilities

ASM/ammo storage

Ships/submarines in port

Bridges.

MISSION PLANNING�

The first phase of the mission planning regime ensures that the missile navigates to the target with maximum survivability and then enters a robust target acquisition and terminal guidance phase. For complex and pre-determined missions, much of this data would have been pre-prepared earlier at the Command Headquarters. Following an Air Tasking Order, the Squadron would prepare the mission data file with the pre-planned data, together with the latest operational intelligence.

TERMINAL PHASE

On approaching the terminal phase, the missile will initiate a bunt manoeuvre, pre-selected during mission planning, to obtain the best combination of acquisition probability and lethality against the target. As the missile climbs, it will jettison its nose cover, thereby enabling the missile high resolution imaging infra-red sensor to view the target area ahead.
The missile�s image processor will compare the actual image features with a reference set of features, determined during mission planning. When a feature match is achieved the target will be acquired and the required aim point selection tracked and used as the reference for the missile terminal guidance.

As the missile closes in on the target the acquisition process will be repeated with a higher resolution data set to refine the aim point. Tracking will continue against this refined aim point until the precise target location is identified.

TARGET ENGAGEMENT

When engaging hard targets, such as Hardened Aircraft Shelters or bunkers, the missile will strike the target at the estimated optimum dive angle, selected during mission planning. On impact the detonation sequence commences. The precursor charge will perforate the target structure, and any soil covering, and the follow through penetrator warhead will continue to penetrate inside the target to be detonated after a pre-selectable fuse delay.�

Should the mission be against a target with potential high collateral damage, the mission will be aborted if the target identification and acquisition process is unsuccessful. In this case the missile will fly to a predetermined crash site.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Croak:

I'm not jealous at all.  Just sad that he has to put it all on the line.  Enormously respectful, but sad.  Sad for what he's risking, sad for what they're all risking, sad for the state of affairs in general, and especially sad because I suspect that sort of commitment is going to be needed here in the US in my lifetime.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Croak:
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Originally Posted By Easterner:
I think my days posting here may be numbered. The squeaky wheel is finally getting greased. I met a team leader today. I got the thumbs up to join them in liberating Ukraine from these assholes. Now we all wait to see if the brigade will accept our team. Seems like a good crew of English speakers from around the world. Time to dust off the gear and get sorted out.

Fuck. I’m jealous.

Please be safe.

I'm not jealous at all.  Just sad that he has to put it all on the line.  Enormously respectful, but sad.  Sad for what he's risking, sad for what they're all risking, sad for the state of affairs in general, and especially sad because I suspect that sort of commitment is going to be needed here in the US in my lifetime.

I kinda agree with this.  

If Russia just stayed inside their own damn border like everyone else, none of this would be happening.

If leftists stopped trying to meddle where they don't belong...ugh, not worth the rant.

Wishing Ukraine a speedy and total indisputable victory in any case, like always.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Real-life Macross Missiles.
View Quote

There's a consistent side-effect of this war.
My teenage years are coming back to me with all the hardware on display.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#10]
It will be funny if a counterattack/encirclement in Bakmhut is the one we've been waiting for, and NATO armor is then used to exploit the breach rather than initiate it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Some good points. The Russian infantry isn’t improving. They rely heavily on artillery. I think the long range weapons like storm shadow could further crimp their logistics. Some analyst said that after HIMARS arrived Russia had to move its supply depots back 30km. This required ten times more trucks which they do not have to move ammo to the front and resulted in a dramatic drop in shells per day being fired.

Force those depots back 100-200km and blow more rail bridges and Russian logistics would grind to a halt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
Tatarigami thread.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1656338769602019341.html

Some good points. The Russian infantry isn’t improving. They rely heavily on artillery. I think the long range weapons like storm shadow could further crimp their logistics. Some analyst said that after HIMARS arrived Russia had to move its supply depots back 30km. This required ten times more trucks which they do not have to move ammo to the front and resulted in a dramatic drop in shells per day being fired.

Force those depots back 100-200km and blow more rail bridges and Russian logistics would grind to a halt.

The training issue is important.  We’ve been seeing reports that more or less confirm the lack of training effort across the Army.
It’s shocking but there it is.  If the Russian Army was going to really train people it would’ve been during the October mobilization.  At least they could’ve committed to training a good percentage of them.  They didn’t.  They threw them all in to the meatgrinder and they’re probably about gone now.
Russia is probably too corrupt and under much stress to be organizationally capable of training a mass army.  They are what they are.  They will lurch forward under the weight of artillery and blood until they collapse.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Sink the Black Sea fleet!
View All Quotes
Hallelujah!!!   Storm Shadows arriving!!

Way ahead of hinted deliveries. Anxious to get more details!!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_0755-2812957.jpg

Nah.  Logistics, now, before they can try to move them again.  Big booms.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Because part of this war is being fought in the mind.  Letting this dinner in the heads of troops already living in squalor with buddies bodies strewn everywhere having survived winter knowing some grand offensive is about to start can weigh on a man.

The more they induce to surrender, and the recent spate of drone surrender is no coincidence, the better for Ukraine.

You also have to consider Russia still has nukes it might be jarring if air bases they house strategic bombers starts blowing up.  You have to remember this is to liberate Ukraine, maybe that involves the collapse of Putin, but it doesn’t entail invasion of Russia proper.  That would only motivate Russians to fight harder.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#14]

No kidding!!!

Excerpt…
The Storm Shadow is a long-range cruise missile with stealth capabilities, jointly developed by the UK and France, which is typically launched from the air. With a firing range in excess of 250km, or 155 miles, it is just short of the 185-mile range capability of the US-made surface-to-surface Army Tactical Missile Systems, or ATACMS, that Ukraine has long asked for.

Critically, the Storm Shadow has the range to strike deep into Russian-held territory in Eastern Ukraine. A Western official told CNN that the UK has received assurances from the Ukrainian government that these missiles will be used only within Ukrainian sovereign territory and not inside Russia. UK officials have made frequent public statements identifying Crimea as Ukrainian sovereign territory, describing it as “illegally annexed.”

The missile is “a real game changer from a range perspective,” a senior US military official told CNN and gives Kyiv a capability it has been requesting since the outset of the war. As CNN has reported, Ukraine’s current maximum range on US-provided weapons is around 49 miles.
View All Quotes

No kidding!!!

Excerpt…
The Storm Shadow is a long-range cruise missile with stealth capabilities, jointly developed by the UK and France, which is typically launched from the air. With a firing range in excess of 250km, or 155 miles, it is just short of the 185-mile range capability of the US-made surface-to-surface Army Tactical Missile Systems, or ATACMS, that Ukraine has long asked for.

Critically, the Storm Shadow has the range to strike deep into Russian-held territory in Eastern Ukraine. A Western official told CNN that the UK has received assurances from the Ukrainian government that these missiles will be used only within Ukrainian sovereign territory and not inside Russia. UK officials have made frequent public statements identifying Crimea as Ukrainian sovereign territory, describing it as “illegally annexed.”

The missile is “a real game changer from a range perspective,” a senior US military official told CNN and gives Kyiv a capability it has been requesting since the outset of the war. As CNN has reported, Ukraine’s current maximum range on US-provided weapons is around 49 miles.

Well, at least now we’ll get proof that Russia will take it like a bitch like we knew they would, and FJB is a pussy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#15]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/Ratingen_PNG-2813039.png

10 firefighters, 2 cops injured.

Unrelated, I’m sure.

View Quote

Additional context: a van exploded in Milan, setting a lot of other vehicles on fire.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvxEyxAXsAIDlLU?format=jpg
View Quote

Absolutely insane.  A must read.
1917 is fast approaching.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Zeihan makes the case for Ukraine to invade Russia.

Ukraine War Updates Part 3: What’s Next for Russia || Peter Zeihan
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Russian sources, posted 30 min ago.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Germany was just a nutjob. Nothing to do with UA.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

To put the US on the spot for not supplying ATACMS publicly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]
get bof
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:45:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#23]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif
View All Quotes

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif

Another Russian source posting this, more info.

Prigozhin: Situation on flanks is unfolding according to worst expected scenario.

This is what happens when the Russian MOD lets Wagner down. Do not expect good news from Bakhmut in the coming hours and days.

According to my latest information, Wagner was sent to the flanks to somehow stabilize the situation again. Wagner takes over the flanks. This significantly slows the advance in the city of Bakhmut. A large part was withdrawn and sent to the flanks. UA is now countering massively within the city.

Sooo.... What happens when the Ukrainians start countering in other areas?

Mayhem, that's what.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:58:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#24]
IMO, Storm Shadow is a big deal for Ukraine not just because of the range, but also because of the powerful 990lb multi-stage bunker busting warhead. This is WAY more boom than GMLRS, GLSDB, or even ATACMS.  While the smaller rockets/missiles might take out a couple rooms on a soviet-style concrete apartment building, a Storm Shadow should collapse large chunks of it like we see the Russian cruise missiles doing to Ukrainian civilian targets.  And when Ukraine gets intel on high value targets hiding in bunkers, Storm Shadow can kill them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#25]

There will be other surprises when the offensive starts.
View Quote

I think a lot of them actually.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By maddmatt:

I eagerly await the day that Germany issued it first order for a Polish produced K2
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maddmatt:

I eagerly await the day that Germany issued it first order for a Polish produced K2

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
Putin signs annual decree on reservist training (No, really, it’s for training…I swear)
View Quote

Fool me once shame on you, fool me 3879 times, shame on me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#30]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv2ClK0WYAUr0mE?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Getting closer to the water.
Zolota Nyva
86km
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Honestly, that could just be him trying to scare the Russian military into giving him more supplies.
View All Quotes

Honestly, that could just be him trying to scare the Russian military into giving him more supplies.

That would not surprise me, but keep what he said today in context with other news and sources over the next day.  He sometimes does tell the truth.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

It's a diversion. The real op is replacing Prigozhin with a British chef.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#34]
lol, psyop campaign.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Ukrainians pay tribute at funeral of U.S. volunteer killed in Bakhmut
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Shouldn't be too much of a surprise.  There was plenty of fighting around there 80 years ago.
May they get Decent burials
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

"Told ya sol!" - Igor Girkin, probably
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Time is a flat circle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
IMO, Storm Shadow is a big deal for Ukraine not just because of the range, but also because of the powerful 990lb multi-stage bunker busting warhead. This is WAY more boom than GMLRS, GLSDB, or even ATACMS.  While the smaller rockets/missiles might take out a couple rooms on a soviet-style concrete apartment building, a Storm Shadow should collapse large chunks of it like we see the Russian cruise missiles doing to Ukrainian civilian targets.  And when Ukraine gets intel on high value targets hiding in bunkers, Storm Shadow can kill them.
View Quote
I wonder how well they'd work on ships.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#41]

The training issue is important.  We've been seeing reports that more or less confirm the lack of training effort across the Army.
It's shocking but there it is.  If the Russian Army was going to really train people it would've been during the October mobilization.  At least they could've committed to training a good percentage of them.  They didn't.  They threw them all in to the meatgrinder and they're probably about gone now.
Russia is probably too corrupt and under much stress to be organizationally capable of training a mass army.  They are what they are.  They will lurch forward under the weight of artillery and blood until they collapse.
View All Quotes
Tatarigami thread.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1656338769602019341.html

Some good points. The Russian infantry isn't improving. They rely heavily on artillery. I think the long range weapons like storm shadow could further crimp their logistics. Some analyst said that after HIMARS arrived Russia had to move its supply depots back 30km. This required ten times more trucks which they do not have to move ammo to the front and resulted in a dramatic drop in shells per day being fired.

The training issue is important.  We've been seeing reports that more or less confirm the lack of training effort across the Army.
It's shocking but there it is.  If the Russian Army was going to really train people it would've been during the October mobilization.  At least they could've committed to training a good percentage of them.  They didn't.  They threw them all in to the meatgrinder and they're probably about gone now.
Six or seven months ago there were a rash of photos of training unit vehicle symbols and patches on dead Russians when Putin sent most of his trainers in to help stabilize the situation after the Kharkiv collapse, before the mass mobilization could get rolling.  Many here recognized that he was "eating his seedcorn" and there must be very few trainers left for the big mobilization.  I thought they'd still manage some kind of training, even if it was straight out of the book with green inexperienced training officers, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.  Logistics and the officer corps must be strained to the breaking point.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

I hope they can smash an Improved Kilo while it's sitting at the pier.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By brokenhorsey:

Ukraine should put out a tweet that they're hitting the bridge in 1 hour, and watch hilarity ensue
View Quote

Openly declare to the world that it is a military target, and it is coming down at a date and time of their choosing. Sorry, not sorry, for anybody caught on the bridge when it happens.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I think time favors Ukraine. Russia isn’t going to materially improve in the next 1-3 months. On the other hand, every month more equipment arrives for Ukraine and more troops are trained. Smart call.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_0754-2812956.jpg
View Quote

Seems like they're taking out alot of Russian artillery lately.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#45]
lol, psyop campaign.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv2GjE3XgAIe4jX?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

Wagner forces in and around Bakhmut are screwed, and the RuAF isn't going to bet what little they have left on a dead horse. Prigozhin knows that his guys won't make it out, that's why he floated the idea of bringing in Kadyrov's crew last week.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Ukraine War: 'Any Russian tank anywhere in Ukraine is now within range' with Storm Shadow missiles

Ukraine War: 'Any Russian tank anywhere in Ukraine is now within range' with Storm Shadow missiles
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

Hit the rails leave the lanes tell them they are next
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Originally Posted By kncook:

Blast the in-bound lane to prove a message.

Hit the rails leave the lanes tell them they are next
Hit the pilings and drop the spans. No need to waste breath or paper.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#49]

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/11/politics/uk-storm-shadow-cruise-missiles-ukraine/index.html

View Quote

Fuck yes. This is easily the best news I've heard in a few months. Even if they don't supply them in large numbers (IIRC they only have 700 - 1000 of them), they'll still be extremely beneficial in terms of messing with Russian logistics. Just a few depots getting blown up deep behind Russian lines is going to force them to either move their depots back further or spread them out. Plus, this is also extremely beneficial in terms of setting the precedent for sending long range munitions. The Russians are almost certainly going to do nothing other than moan and groan about red lines and nukes, thus demonstrating that escalation is not a valid reason to not give the Ukrainians long range strike capability.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:39:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhereg] [#50]
Originally Posted By realwar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX_c0_SL_Mo
View Quote

Would seem a waste to use them on tanks.   There's so much more they could do with them.   Unless they get thousands of them, and in that case Storm Shadow all the things!
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3995 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top