Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4009 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So do we think the migs were modified to fire storm shadow missiles?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
attn almightytallest

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:
Was listening to Andrew Wilkow today and he had Mark W. Smith on to discuss his new book.

Can't speak to the book and unfortunately I had to miss part of the interview when they were getting into the discussion of the book but, figured I'd mention it here for anyone interested.

Disarmed: What the Ukraine War Teaches Americans About the Right to Bear Arms

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61bazMbMFEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The war in Ukraine is the ultimate real-life lesson of what can happen when a country disarms its citizens.

Anti-gun zealots in the United States insist that the Second Amendment's right to keep and bear arms is a "relic." Try telling that to the people of Ukraine.

Ukraine never protected its citizens' right to keep and bear arms. But as Russia was about to invade, Ukraine did a critical about-face. Ukraine's government encouraged civilians to carry firearms to defend themselves and their country. It handed out 25,000 fully automatic weapons, while Ukrainians rushed to buy AR-15 rifles that American gun-controllers insist "no one needs."

Did the arming of Ukraine's civilians make a difference? You bet. Armed citizens have played a crucial role in holding off the massive Russian army. This powerful book highlights how they did it and what they did wrong.

Constitutional scholar and host of The Four Boxes Diner YouTube Channel, Mark W. Smith reveals why the lessons learned in Ukraine matter to Americans, and why we must tirelessly resist all efforts to disarm us. Unless we heed Ukraine's cautionary example, we too may pay a steep price.
View Quote
I've said it many times: the organized and unorganized militia saved Ukraine, and bought time for the conventional military to respond, and then international aid arrive.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Jets schmets.

Medium sized drones with good range and payload.  Something that can hop from clearing to clearing. Then pop up and toss bomb a 250 KG surprise.

Cheap. Easy to use. Expendable. Substantial fuck you factor.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#5]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

in my opinion the clamor for airframes / jets / aircraft is mistimed.   long term??  yes.

but this conflict needs :  greater and speedy infusion of ground capability, significant increase in Long-Range artillery (HIMARS and longer...), and adequate and redundant ADA.

the distances we are talking about do not require long-range air superiority / interdiction / deep strike, etc.  drones are proving adequate for PRESENT needs in terms of recon and general harassment.

again -- long term is a different story.   but the 'here and now' is crying out for other assets IMO.

the Russian air capability does not seem to be overwhelming at this point.  its a question about right resources at the right time.
View Quote

That is true but the lead times are long, a year or more. They should have been decided upon 6-9 months ago. So they need a decision to send ASAP so that they can airfield prep, train, set up maintenance and next year they are actually able to deliver and use.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Where is that video of the guys doing that funky walk to the funky tune imitating that funny animated video? That was probably 2000 pages ago, lol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Through this last year, I keep thinking of what life is like for the Russian field Doctors and medical personal. Day after day after day, no end in sight of maimed bodies 24/7.  How do they even keep up on blood etc.  
man, I would love to see a doctor be interviewed and what his/her outlook and experience.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:
Through this last year, I keep thinking of what life is like for the Russian field Doctors and medical personal. Day after day after day, no end in sight of maimed bodies 24/7.  How do they even keep up on blood etc.  
man, I would love to see a doctor be interviewed and what his/her outlook and experience.
View Quote

Depends on how many casualties are actually evacuated. A LOT of Russian appear to be left in the field to die. eliminates costs to recover, treat or pay out benefits if they die.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:46:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#9]
Originally Posted By mcooper:
View Quote

Yes, it was easily done.
They can drop western bombs for awhile now, and it uses the same pylon attachments as dumb bombs. No wires or data hook ups for storm shadow at all. target Info is downloaded on the cruise missile on the ground
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I don't think the MiG-29 is structurally capable of carrying the Storm Shadow. The Su-24 Fencer strike aircraft is much more likely to be the aircraft that gets that job.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

They won't ever be right in the head.  I do know all the border cities inside Russia and the cities currently occupied have Russian blood banks doing probably forced donations
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#12]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

I don't think the MiG-29 is structurally capable of carrying the Storm Shadow. The Su-24 Fencer strike aircraft is much more likely to be the aircraft that gets that job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I wonder if it could under the fuselage?

From wiki..

Hardpoints: 7 × hardpoints (6 × underwing, 1 × fuselage) with a capacity of up to 4,000 kg (8,800 lb) of stores, with provisions to carry combinations

But I imagine they use the su 24 as it can carry two of them
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Do they even have significant numbers of field doctors or trained medics?  My impression throughout this entire war has been that if you're a badly wounded Russian soldier, you're pretty much screwed.  

Of course, it's possible that there are a lot more medical rescues occurring than are being widely reported.  But given the seemingly pervasive Russian doctrine of considering their soldiers to be entirely expendable, I would be surprised if that were the case.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
That is a win
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By strykr:

That is not entirely accurate. Reznikov asked for 100 A-10s early in the war. Then the US responded saying there better planes these days. After which Ukraine asked for 128 modern fighter jets, LOL. Either way, 100 A-10s are better than zero F-16s, which is what they ended up getting so far. They are also better than the Su-25, which Ukraine is actively using. Now that Ukraine has Patriot missiles, air to air capability is even less relevant.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Quite true. It's hard to separate objective analysis from those subjectively giving their opinion because they don't support Ukraine.

There's not many MIG-29s left to give.  So something else needs to be given.  In terms of surplus, I don't think anything can match the F-16.

A-10. We should give them to Ukraine since they are being retired from service.

They don't want them and it would be a terrible fit for the situation.

That is not entirely accurate. Reznikov asked for 100 A-10s early in the war. Then the US responded saying there better planes these days. After which Ukraine asked for 128 modern fighter jets, LOL. Either way, 100 A-10s are better than zero F-16s, which is what they ended up getting so far. They are also better than the Su-25, which Ukraine is actively using. Now that Ukraine has Patriot missiles, air to air capability is even less relevant.

If they can’t man them, can’t maintain them, and the loss rate would be prohibitive, then it isn’t a good fit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

They won't ever be right in the head.  I do know all the border cities inside Russia and the cities currently occupied have Russian blood banks doing probably forced donations
View All Quotes

You don’t need blood donations if the wounded are left in the field to die.  There’s more than enough anecdotal evidence to say that, if this isn’t the rule, it’s a significant possibility.  Makes me wonder if the killed to wounded ratio is as bad as 1-to-1.
Given the level of corruption up and down, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if the lucky ones that make it to medical care are those who have some connections, or can bribe their way to it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#17]

From wiki..

Hardpoints: 7 × hardpoints (6 × underwing, 1 × fuselage) with a capacity of up to 4,000 kg (8,800 lb) of stores, with provisions to carry combinations

View All Quotes

From wiki..

The centerline hardpoint can probably take it.  IIRC it was designed to carry an antiship missile.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: treelow] [#18]
View Quote

…and where do they get blood? Russia is in the top five countries for HIV/AIDS infections.

But it appears the Russian way is to leave their wounded to die.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fvxg4G5WcAcqh1e?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Lord save him. He fights for his people and not for himself.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Based trolling!

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Based trolling!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_0783-2814990.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_0782-2814991.jpg
View Quote
I hope there was a note on it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Kerch Bridge needs to get hit.

I could be mistaken, as I was working while listening to a podcast that reported it. Saying there were huge lines to get out of Crimea. lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Any insight into this?

And how long until there are decoys emitting the same signal as bait?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

I could be mistaken, as I was working while listening to a podcast that reported it. Saying there were huge lines to get out of Crimea. lol

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-build-your-opponent-a-golden-bridge-to-retreat-across-sun-tzu-57-61-51.jpg
They can retreat across the land bridge before UA takes it. Or get pushed into the sea.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Colonel Douglas MacGregor claims there's no counteroffensive because Russia has already destroyed 90% of the new equipment with their missile attacks
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By brokenhorsey:
Colonel Douglas MacGregor claims there's no counteroffensive because Russia has already destroyed 90% of the new equipment with their missile attacks
View Quote
The same guy who claimed back in October that Russia was going to swarm in from all over and take Ukraine in six weeks. Well that never happened.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Good article with more details on Swiss moving to change their re-export laws to allow other countries to sell Swiss arms to Ukraine. Only in the upper Federal House right now. But a huge change for them to make.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/swiss-parliament-passes-decision-export-050752690.html

Swiss parliament passes new decision on re-export of weapons to Ukrain

Excerpt:
The Commission of the Council of Cantons of the Federal Assembly, the upper house of the Swiss Parliament, has recommended easing export controls on Swiss military equipment, which could potentially benefit Ukraine in the future.

Source: Swiss publication Blick

The commission, taking into account the country's long-standing policy of military neutrality, adopted proposals according to which, after a similar decision of the sister committee of the lower house of parliament in January, a corresponding draft law on the possible re-export of Swiss weapons to third countries under certain strict conditions can now be prepared.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
The same guy who claimed back in October that Russia was going to swarm in from all over and take Ukraine in six weeks. Well that never happened.
View Quote

the other GD threads on Ukraine are very different
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:45:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#29]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
They can retreat across the land bridge before UA takes it. Or get pushed into the sea.
View All Quotes

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-build-your-opponent-a-golden-bridge-to-retreat-across-sun-tzu-57-61-51.jpg

As a civilian in a war zone, if you wait to be told to retreat, you’ve waited too long.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#30]

the other GD threads on Ukraine are very different
View Quote
Yeah those are something else.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
Some of these guys really do still believe that Russia has hundreds of divisions just waiting to come in and save the day. They just can't accept that the mighty Red Army had been reduced to a pair of clown shoes who can't handle a single third world country they share thousands of miles of border with.

The reality is here for all to see, the Russians are best visualized as 8 thugs in track suits riding around in a Scooby Doo van.
View Quote
No shit. If better troops and equipment was there it would be used.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#33]
A strong will with some western training and some equipment is down right scary after seeing Russia fail so bad.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#34]
There is tons to learn from Ukrainian leadership after this too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Some of these guys really do still believe that Russia has hundreds of divisions just waiting to come in and save the day. They just can't accept that the mighty Red Army had been reduced to a pair of clown shoes who can't handle a single third world country they share thousands of miles of border with.

The reality is here for all to see, the Russians are best visualized as 8 thugs in track suits riding around in a Scooby Doo van.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

Yes, USSR and Germany armies particularly were HUGE by today standards. They both cut way back but while Germany added millions of people Russia ended up with almost exactly HALF (144million) its former population with the loss of satellite republics. I bet a majority of those lost 144M were the smarter people as well from the Baltics, Ukraine, Poland, East Germany etc.

While Russia has pushed some research into new weapons they never produced much modern equipment in large quantities. Instead they have relied on the vast stores of Soviet era arms. And much of that is not in usable condition. According to nominal inventories they should still have 3,000 tanks in the field and another 4,000 in storage. In fact they have 1,000-1,900 in the field and regardless of the number in storage they say they can only refurbish 9/month. And many of those are the oldest T54/55 (only 300-500) so likely that the majority of the storage T72 tanks are trash.

So, no there is no vast army waiting in the wings. What is in the field is it. They have used up trainers from Army and Air Force in battle so they are short of trainers, pilots, and trained troops. The navy is notorious for poor maintenance. Their biggest aircraft carrier has been in dry dock for five years. Father Time is no longer the friend of Russia.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:26:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#36]
View Quote

FFS how embarrassing to bring up a piece of shit paid russian shill like Macgregor in this thread..... come on man. use your brain.  

You do know he is a PAID commentator for russian state owned TV news stations right??? good grief..

everything he has said about Ukraine has been proven wrong, everything hes predicted about Ukraine has never happened... so what makes you people still believe his lies??
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Any insight into this?

View Quote
A couple of possibilities:

A: We are very fortunate that we sent a Patriot battery for some real world testing and we happen to discover an unknown vulnerability of these detectable signals.

or

B: The "signals" were entirely intentional and were to lure the Russians to fire at it with one of their Kinzhals and we demonstrate to the Russians that we can defeat it. Basically that Patriot is here and it is a game changer.

I'm leaning towards "B", with the news of the NATO decoy drone used in the Luhansk strike. It appears were are dialing up our EW games with them and screwing with their head.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:39:49 AM EDT
[#38]

But first mine the other side.

-Me
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#39]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:

A: We are very fortunate that we sent a Patriot battery for some real world testing and we happen to discover an unknown vulnerability of these detectable signals.

or

B: The "signals" were entirely intentional and were to lure the Russians to fire at it with one of their Kinzhals and we demonstrate to the Russians that we can defeat it. Basically that Patriot is here and it is a game changer.

I'm leaning towards "B", with the news of the NATO decoy drone used in the Luhansk strike. It appears were are dialing up our EW games with them and screwing with their head.
View All Quotes

Any insight into this?

or

Or “signals” was code for a humint leak.
They’d better be cagey, because Russia IMO will not hesitate to throw everything at a Patriot to get a propaganda win.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:48:50 AM EDT
[#40]

or

View Quote

Any radar guided SAM system emits signals that can can be detected at much longer distances than they are effective. Phased array systems have ways to minimize those signals but EW/ELINT platforms can still detect them. Patriot has been around for something like 3+ decades, so it's likely that Russia already knows what it's signals emissions look like
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:49:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#41]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:01:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Or "signals" was code for a humint leak.
They'd better be cagey, because Russia IMO will not hesitate to throw everything at a Patriot to get a propaganda win.
View Quote
Yea, thats a nauseating thought. It would suck to lose one of those batteries due to someone not being careful with opsec, or worse, and actual spy amongst their ranks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
I've said it many times: the organized and unorganized militia saved Ukraine, and bought time for the conventional military to respond, and then international aid arrive.
View Quote

The Russians claim Ukrainian isn't a real national identity.    But you sure as hell don't get citizen soldiers to fight and die like this if they don't believe in the idea of their own nation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Those arty numbers!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Those arty numbers!
View Quote

No kidding.   Add that to the past couple of weeks of daily double digits.  They are absolutely stomping the shit out of Russian artillery.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:31:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Maybe 200k kia is the go word for the offensive
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:38:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#48]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

No kidding.   Add that to the past couple of weeks of daily double digits.  They are absolutely stomping the shit out of Russian artillery.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Those arty numbers!

I watch the numbers pretty closely and the IIRC the only time claimed arty kills exceeded that was on one day of the Kharkiv offensive when 30+ were destroyed along with a lot of men and trucks.  I think we assumed at the time that a towed arty unit had been overrun and wiped out.
This time, it seems to me that the arty supporting the Russians in Bakhmut is getting fucking worked.  Could be a couple of factors.  There has been a significant uptick in drone claims.  If there is a new system in place jamming or destroying Russian observation drones - for example the 70mm PGM kit - Ukrainian artillery can work unsuppressed.  There was also the specific claim that the UA is now jamming Lancet, allowing the UA artillery to work unsuppressed.
Another possibility is an unknown drone system more resistant to Russian jamming, which allows for better spotting of Russian artillery.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:48:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#49]

Storm Shadow is “extremely hostile act”.

As if invading country, torturing and kidnapping civilians and children, giving a PMC carte blanche to rape, pillage and “21 roses” torture and bombing apartment buildings and hospitals is not!!!!

Very noticeably missing is the threat to use nukes. Hmmm
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Ukrainian ground kamikaze drone destroys vehicle in training test
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4009 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top