Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4025 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Another high number of artillery day.  

They are softening them up for an offensive
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My theory for the shoot downs: they found MALD decoy missile parts in the vicinity of the storm shadow impact site. I bet it was squawking some Russian SU35 signals on its way in, so it made it past air defense. Word gets out, and air defense gunners get REALLY jumpy and start shooting at everything on their screen. They see two planes coming their way (returning from strike mission but they don’t know that)… not sure about the helicopters. Maybe they said “better safe than sorry” and lobbed s400’s at everybody on the screen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
My theory for the shoot downs: they found MALD decoy missile parts in the vicinity of the storm shadow impact site. I bet it was squawking some Russian SU35 signals on its way in, so it made it past air defense. Word gets out, and air defense gunners get REALLY jumpy and start shooting at everything on their screen. They see two planes coming their way (returning from strike mission but they don’t know that)… not sure about the helicopters. Maybe they said “better safe than sorry” and lobbed s400’s at everybody on the screen.
View Quote

Ding ding ding ding ding.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

Ding ding ding ding ding.

View Quote

There was a TG post that said this. They have to word this in a way that they’re not discrediting the armed forces- the official story is there’s something wrong with IFF.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:13:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#5]
My theory for the shoot downs: they found MALD decoy missile parts in the vicinity of the storm shadow impact site. I bet it was squawking some Russian SU35 signals on its way in, so it made it past air defense. Word gets out, and air defense gunners get REALLY jumpy and start shooting at everything on their screen. They see two planes coming their way (returning from strike mission but they don't know that)  not sure about the helicopters. Maybe they said "better safe than sorry" and lobbed s400's at everybody on the screen.
View Quote

If this is close to the truth the internal Russian shitstorm right now  would be of epic proportions. Hitler in his bunker level. Someone needs to make that video.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:23:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#6]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

If this is close to the truth the internal Russian shitstorm right now  would be of epic proportions. Hitler in his bunker level. Someone needs to make that video.
View Quote

I’m picturing the guys in the s400 battery. They see an SU plane coming home from bombing a school or playground, and watch him on radar all the way until he crashes. They say, ohh poor comradski, we’ll poor out some vodka for you. Then the boss man kicks open the door and yells HOW DID YOU LET THAT CRUISE MISSILE THROUGH?! They’re spilling their vodka and pointing at the screen and yelling about seeing an SU35 crash. Then what pops up on the screen again? Some more SU planes. We won’t let them through this time!! Look boss man we’ll shoot everything!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Calendar guy with some of the Storm Shadow cruise missile damage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwCf8LwXoAAVtcc?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote
This will be used later when RU files international war crimes against UA
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:53:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#9]

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
https://news.yahoo.com/belarusian-dictator-lukashenko-very-ill-075000422.html

I bet Putin is brainstorming how to convince Lushenko's successor to join the war with manpower and equipment. hell Putin might even have a hand in this mysterious "illness"
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:56:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#11]
Originally Posted By xd675:

It’s staggering to me this long in the war Russia finally hits that target.  Did they run out of shopping malls and apartment buildings or did they just miss?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xd675:
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwG2lzSWcAI-qeB?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwG4q11WIAMKhXd?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwG4z4RWYAEHjfH?format=png&name=small

Ukraine knows what was blown up. They know exactly what was there

Well, yeah, but from what can be known in the public sources is that it is an old Soviet style ammo and aviation gas storage site that has been well known for years.  I wouldn't put anything new or useful there during a wartime situation.  

This is similar to the attack last week that turned out to be an expired ICBM fuel storage site.  Impressive boom, but probably not the new Western weapons that the Russians want us to believe.

It’s staggering to me this long in the war Russia finally hits that target.  Did they run out of shopping malls and apartment buildings or did they just miss?

It is strange, but multiple sources on Twitter and other sites are saying that these areas are well known and old and had old munitions for many years.  For the Russians, they have a hard time hitting Ukrainian military infrastructure but these Soviet era sites can be reliably targeted in order to create huge explosions for the Russian propaganda machine.  I imagine these videos are all over GD and someone invariably claims it was billions of U.S. aid going up in smoke.    But that is really unlikely.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By strykr:

Putin's intentions became clear when he went for a full scale invasion and tried to take Kyiv. It was a gamble that did not work out. He had the winning formula in Donbas. Irregular troops who appeared to be Russian-friendly locals. The appearance of helping one side in a "civil war" gave him deniability and distance from the conflict.

If he focused on annexing Donbas and creating a land bridge to Crimea with the goal of providing water access, his message of "protecting" ethnic Russian minorities would have been believable. He could have taken a smaller chunk of land and focused on solidifying his gains, just like Hitler did with the Sudetenland. I don't think the West would have gotten involved in such a scenario.
View Quote

I believe this is true. Although some Western countries may have sent some aid, certainly Poland but it would have been too little too late.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Calendar guy with some of the Storm Shadow cruise missile damage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwCf8LwXoAAVtcc?format=jpg&name=large

lol, I know that is why they are doing that, but he's pretty useful for battle damage assessment of our weapons.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
Probably tons and tons of old 100mm, 115mm, and 122mm tank shells were sitting there. That stuff has not been useful for decades, but the USSR never threw that stuff away. They have probably been too broke to dispose of it properly and they don't operate much of anything that currently uses it. All of Ukraine's Soviet pattern tanks are 125mm IIRC.
View Quote

Yeah I can believe that. And I hope nothing useful was being stored there. Normally I would assume that Russian ISR saw some new activity at the site and targeted it but knowing Russian ISR...
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Nato would have invaded Ukraine differently. There would have been no ground invasion of Ukraine until we obtained air superiority over of all of Ukraine.  

Russia's failure to be able to do deep interdiction of western supplies of war material  as soon as it crossed the Ukrainian border  has doomed them. Russia has not killed a single Himars yet. Something air superiority over Ukraine would have enabled them to do.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Both sides are saying this.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:12:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#21]

The Russian complex of video and thermal imaging surveillance Murom-M was destroyed by aerial reconnaissance of the self-propelled howitzers battalion of the 3rd tank brigade using an FPV kamikaze drone.
View Quote

https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1658083958926499847
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#22]
And you get an Excalibur round, and you, and you...

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:15:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#23]

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/05/15/frontline-report-ukraine-eliminates-russian-troops-in-forest-near-bakhmut-leaving-russian-brigade-without-high-command/?swcfpc=1

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:16:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#24]

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#25]

It is strange, but multiple sources on Twitter and other sites are saying that these areas are well known and old and had old munitions for many years.  For the Russians, they have a hard time hitting Ukrainian military infrastructure but these Soviet era sites can be reliably targeted in order to create huge explosions for the Russian propaganda machine.  I imagine these videos are all over GD and someone invariably claims it was billions of U.S. aid going up in smoke.    But that is really unlikely.
View Quote

There were tweets yesterday claiming “2.2MM in US supplied munitions going up” already. And I’m sure the useful idiots in GD are eating that right up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:19:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#26]

https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1658086858398498819
Special unit Vyhor destroyed the Russian EW system in the Zaporizhzhia region using an FPV kamikaze drone.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#27]
For old times sake

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

There were tweets yesterday claiming “2.2MM in US supplied munitions going up” already. And I’m sure the useful idiots in GD are eating that right up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

lol, yeah those sites are such obvious targets I can't imagine the Ukrainians being foolish to store new Western weapons near those areas.  There are much better and harder to see ways of doing that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Hking:
https://news.yahoo.com/belarusian-dictator-lukashenko-very-ill-075000422.html

I bet Putin is brainstorming how to convince Lushenko's successor to join the war with manpower and equipment. hell Putin might even have a hand in this mysterious "illness"
View Quote

“The Death of Stalin” in Minsk right now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

There was a hilarious thread here a few weeks back in which the OP argued that the US government is more corrupt than the Chinese government. The really sad thing was that in the poll, about half of the respondents said that the US government is equally or more corrupt... This place is doing its best to embody idiocracy.
View Quote

I dont remember that thread and I really wonder which way I would have voted. China/CCP does NOT have a mandate to represent the Chinese people or to guarantee their freedom and rights. The US gov't does. The Chinese gov't can lie to their people 99% of the time and it would be nowhere as bad as the US gov't lying 1%. And they lie WAY MORE than 1%....Which is more honest and trustworthy? A prostitute that has sex with 10 guys per night or a married housewife that cheats with a new guy 1X per year?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#31]
https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1658099654213398528

FPV drone attack.

Operators of the 13th Main Directorate of the SBU attack a Russian armored recovery vehicle BTS-4 that came to pull out a stuck BMP-2.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Running the numbers, things look grim as fuck for Russia,

Ukraine War Q&A: What Happened to the 500k Russian Soldiers? || Peter Zeihan
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
https://euromaidanpress.com/2022/12/30/they-thought-we-are-cave-people-stereotypes-ukrainian-refugees-face-in-europe/

I never ever nor did my SO and my SOs relatives had these pre conceptions about Ukranians in general.

Every single refugee here in Hungary has assimilated and integrated far faster than the normal cesspool 3rd world bottom feeders.

Daughter unit and my buddies families children integrated well with watching Supernatural, playing PS5 games and playing outside.

The kids are kinda passing me off a bit because they are already speaking much better Hungarian than myself sometimes.

Their vocabulary has been spectacular amd far reaching.

My buddies wife is already close to opening up her own beauty salon and my wife unit is gonna help her with the cafe shop part one block from my house in Kőbánya Budapest.

Overall, Ukraine belongs to the west and there is a reason why Putler and the Orcs want it so bad.

The other article talking about Poland and Hungary, I don't agree with it because Poland offered Hungary Westinghouse Nuclear technology but that was costly and it doesn't sadly beat the zero interest loan and terms from RusAtom.

Also the PaksII is already partially built.

The problem with the PaksII reactor is that those fucken Orcs figured it out on making their shit nuke stuff not workable with western tech.

In the end, work with Hungary on a good nuke power deal that is favorable and Orban will dump the Orcs like a hot burgonya.
View Quote

This is just me, but I would rather have 5,000 hamster wheels making electricity than make a deal with russia for a nuke plant. That interest free loan will end up costing hungary a lot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
My theory for the shoot downs: they found MALD decoy missile parts in the vicinity of the storm shadow impact site. I bet it was squawking some Russian SU35 signals on its way in, so it made it past air defense. Word gets out, and air defense gunners get REALLY jumpy and start shooting at everything on their screen. They see two planes coming their way (returning from strike mission but they don't know that)  not sure about the helicopters. Maybe they said "better safe than sorry" and lobbed s400's at everybody on the screen.

Russia will be in utter vapor lock if decoys are that effective.  They will have to ground all of the front line support.

Now, if Ukrainians can do the IFF decoy trick with Russian bombers over Russia during the next cruise missile attack, they may nip that shit in the bud.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
What I see as a missed oppertunity is that the US/West hasn't pumped out a ton of Shahed type drones.

Surely the combined west has the capacity to strap a 2 stroke to a wing with a xplody tip?
View Quote

They aren't expensive enough.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:37:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#36]
Erdogan didn't have enough votes to get over the threshold, I guess it's a run-off election going to be held on May 28.
Correct me if I am wrong, Turkish politics is not my forte.
Also reports of ballot stuffing.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#37]

I have no idea whether this is legitimate or not, but it's important to note that this sort of thing isn't unprecedented when it comes to the Russians. Granted, this is at a smaller scale, but during the Chechen wars, Russian soldiers were known to sell the insurgents weapons in exchanges for guarantees that their specific position wouldn't get attacked, and if I'm remembering correctly, some Russian officers literally even handed over their own soldiers to the insurgents as POWs in deals like that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

Fucking mind blown.
Well I guess leaks can cut both ways.  Now Prigozhin/Putin can hardly fault Ukraine for blowing up a confidential exchange.  It was their own useful idiot.
Plus Putin is now in the position of having to try to discredit the leaks instead of capitalizing on them.
I guess this settles who Prigozhin really works for - the FSB, Putin’s faction.  The GRU would never sell out the Army like that, but the FSB would and has.
Fucking bonkers if true.

Even if true, it might not be all that. Would you trust a list of Russian army locations given to you by Prigorzhin?  But certainly wouldn't shock me if it were - he gets points for capturing Bakhmut and the Russian MoD looks more incompetent.  Win-win.

You figure Ukraine would verify and it has the means to via NATO ISR.
Let’s just say hypothetically that Ukraine saw a plus in the cost-benefit to that trade.  Ukraine would be foolish to uphold their end of the deal before Prigozhin upholds his end.  At the least, they would have to do a “half up front, half later” deal.  Prigozhin sells out a juicy target first and Ukraine make the hit and confirms, then Ukraine cedes ground, and so on.
Fucking bonkers.

I have no idea whether this is legitimate or not, but it's important to note that this sort of thing isn't unprecedented when it comes to the Russians. Granted, this is at a smaller scale, but during the Chechen wars, Russian soldiers were known to sell the insurgents weapons in exchanges for guarantees that their specific position wouldn't get attacked, and if I'm remembering correctly, some Russian officers literally even handed over their own soldiers to the insurgents as POWs in deals like that.

When Dudayev was alive, they’d turn over POWs if their mother came to Chechnya to pick him up herself. One of the many reasons the Russians took him out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#38]

lol, yeah those sites are such obvious targets I can't imagine the Ukrainians being foolish to store new Western weapons near those areas.  There are much better and harder to see ways of doing that.
View Quote

Given the already-known large ASP over in Moldova/Transnistria these seem to be a thing over there. It sounds like this is a pattern but the low info biolab shit spreaders latch onto it with a little help from Moscow and make it into something it really isn’t.
Interesting point is tradeoff in munitions/effort expended for basically a PR win of limited value.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Finally off suspension again.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By stgdz:
So these two massive explosions now this month.

As much as I hate to admit it, this is likely a lot of NATO hardware there.  Yeah the Russians probably knew about it but the ukranians probably thought it was safe.  These areas were likely used because they met storage requirements for ammo and other stuff.  They still have other stuff but probably lost a significant amount.

Shit
View Quote

It was surplus Soviet ammo dump…
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#43]
New Perun video dropped - “French defense policy and rearmament.”  Highly worth the watch as it gives insight into the long-term direction of the European response to Russia.
Although the policy statement doesn't identify Wagner by name, with regards to central Africa it identifies the need to be a “security provider and partner…and to maintain a network of bases to provide support and intervention in the area.”
I think Wagner is going to find out the hard way that they aren’t the baddest mofos around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5eUh3_eo9E
View Quote

DirleWagner would probably rather get pummeled by the Air Force again than get the FFL unleashed on them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Poor scooby van.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:59:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#45]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
What I see as a missed oppertunity is that the US/West hasn't pumped out a ton of Shahed type drones.

Surely the combined west has the capacity to strap a 2 stroke to a wing with a xplody tip?

lol, in all fairness, if you ask us to make a cheap drone with no shielding against electronic warfare and commercial control and video systems, I'm sure we could come up with something competitive with commercial off the shelf parts.

The West is just quieter about our offerings.

Counter drone system
DroneBullet - Counter-Drone Systems

I like the Altus-600 because of the range and AI features, it can be a jamming system, an kamikaze drone, or other aid depending on the cost you want to spend for it.
ALTIUS-600M Loitering Munition

https://www.anduril.com/hardware/altius/

Get the whole package, how much do you want it to hurt?
US Army to Test Biggest Network of Drone Swarms using ALTIUS-700 and Coyote Drones
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Kinda shamed some people here.

View Quote

Here’s YouTube video FSB snipers took of themselves in 2020 that Ukraine was able to acquire, what Zelensky was referring to when he said Russian snipers were coming to Ukraine on safari.
Video Purportedly Shows Russian Snipers In Ukraine

The video was originally published here on May 20, 2020.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#48]

lol, in all fairness, if you ask us to make a cheap drone with no shielding against electronic warfare and commercial control and video systems, I'm sure we could come up with something competitive with commercial off the shelf parts.

The West is just quieter about our offerings.

https://aerialx.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/B3-G-scaled-400x300.jpg

Counter drone system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_6X5Is916I

I like the Altus-600 because of the range and AI features, it can be a jamming system, an kamikaze drone, or other aid depending on the cost you want to spend for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs0rNxs7SvE

Get the whole package, how much do you want it to hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjj9e0Qq6g
View Quote

I was just being a smartass.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Long article at link but well worth a read if you enjoy the diplomatic equivalent of swords slashing guts, intestines hanging from the ceiling fans, and surprise whacks to the gonads with ballpeen hammers.

Excerpt:
For us, Poles, it is difficult to understand how Hungarians who lived through 1956 can take such a different approach to the issue. Why can’t they understand that this is not only about Ukraine, but that the Russians want to occupy other countries as well,” explained a Polish government source.

A couple of hinge points:
- Poland and Hungary had been diplomatically extremely close and were building toward a United push back to the left leaning nations in the EU.

- Trouble began when Hungary insisted on energy dependence with Russia. In disbelief Poland had top experts map out the technology and means for how the could decouple, but Hungary rebuffed them.

- Orban’s initial and continued lone support among EU for all things Russia has really destroyed all trust and goodwill with Poland. They can’t believe the descendants of 1956 could do that. Poland actually sent the Hungarian ambassador a box of shit.
View Quote

Repeat after me … cheap energy … I hate it but that is why …
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#50]
This is a before and after picture. It amazes me how fast they clean things up.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4025 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top