Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4123 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

Got it

Makes sense, but if they're aiming for patriot wouldn't it be best system for protecting itself?
View Quote

Only if you absolutely have to. Ammunition is very limited. My expectation is that there are things like Gepards and men with Stingers on watch around Patriot.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#2]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Only if you absolutely have to. Ammunition is very limited. My expectation is that there are things like Gepards and men with Stingers on watch around Patriot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

Got it

Makes sense, but if they're aiming for patriot wouldn't it be best system for protecting itself?

This, plus larger systems like NASAMS, IRIS-T, maybe even a big S-300 that are overlapping coverage with the Patriot.

Visualize it like in the Chinese system graphic below as far as overlapping coverage with other systems.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Bakhmut

The northern flank - there are minor victories, I will not say that there is anything large-scale, the guys are trying, the situation itself is a little more difficult there, the terrain, in my opinion, is worse, there are successes and I think that this is the most important thing now, of course, the successes are not as we would like, but in small steps we repel the enemy.

The southern flank - there is an advance in the direction of Klishchevka, in the area of +500-650 m. Yesterday, after successful assaults, we managed to advance closer to the settlement, take new positions and strengthen our positions. Assault operations are also being conducted at this time. We are polishing the settlement, so to speak😂

The situation on the outskirts of the city has not yet changed, the enemy is trying to take the lines that remained, so far to no avail, except for a pile of 200/300, there are no successes.

You can watch how the underdogs start to get nervous, it becomes more and more difficult for them to maintain, especially the adapted biomass from Zaporizhzhia is a confirmation of that, imagine how it will be, if this happens, in a week or two we will bring the city back under our control, it will be a disaster for the population morons 😂 they will cry around the clock, so many months of assaults and finally "VICTORY" but, let's wait, it will be very interesting to watch the katsaps.

He hugged everyone, lifted them up, twisted them and put them in their place ❤️

Source: Peredovych0k
Bakhmut. Life | Chat | Write to us

https://t.me/bakhmut_life/26876

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I know its off topic, but what happened to the hissy fit thread?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
I know its off topic, but what happened to the hissy fit thread?
View Quote

You're going to have to be more specific.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#7]

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

OOOOaaahhh. Adjusting my shorts that are suddenly too tight...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

The "2nd order effect" to that is that the Pakistani ISI is responsible for forming the Taliban initially and has deep ties to many of the Taliban groups (lookin' at you "Haquanni Network".  So, we have the potential for the Taliban to trigger a conflict between a potential nuclear power (Iran) and a declared nuclear power (Pakistan).  We could see a scenario where three groups hostile to the US end up wiping each other out.

OOOOaaahhh. Adjusting my shorts that are suddenly too tight...

Calm down, the world isn't that lucky.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

“Did Putin ever threaten my job?! Did Putin ever call me a racist?!”

Probably not but I doubt Zelensky ever did either. His one point of favor for Russia is that it is bigger!!

This is just insane rationalization. I quit listening to any broadcast news after 2020 riots and election crap. Glad I did.

Russia always has been and remains the Evil Empire. Anyone that doesn’t recognize that plain fact is disingenuous or mentally damaged. Ukraine is basically doing NATO’s founding purpose and isn’t even in NATO. Saving Europe. I just hope the Poles get a chance to extract some flesh from orc bones before it is over.
View Quote

This is everything distilled down to it's simplest form.

The fact is Russia never underwent a "de-Communization" like we made Germany "de-Nazify" post WW2. There was never anyone put on trial for the millions the Soviet Union and Communism killed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Operational information.

Air attack on the capital.

"Only 18 hours have passed since the most massive attack by BpLA on Kyiv, and the enemy attacked the capital again. This is already the 15th air attack since the beginning of May!

Almost simultaneously with the UAV attack, enemy TU-95MS launched cruise missiles, probably Kh-101/555, from the Caspian region. So the attack on the capital was combined, from different directions.
In general, more than 40 air targets were detected and destroyed by the forces and means of our air defense. Attacks on Kyiv are not allowed! Thanks to the anti-aircraft defense for the excellent work! (The final data are in the reports of the General Staff and the Air Force.)
As a result, falling debris broke through the roof of a residential building in Podilsk district, without casualties. Information about the victims has not yet been received. The operational summary data is updated and clarified. Stay tuned for new posts. I remind you of important things - do not remove the work of air defense. This will save our air defense soldiers and, accordingly, your life." - Serhii Popko, head of the KMVA.

https://t.me/operativnoZSU/98423

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://wavellroom.com/2023/05/01/1500-new-and-modernised-tanks-really/?utm_content=buffer93912&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#12]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

The obvious response to the "overmatch" issue Milley et al were complaining about is more HE weapons, more drones, better suppressive fire training, better marksmanship training, and better optics. Having Polymer 6.8 wouldn't have made a damn difference when the Taliban were engaging US troops from across the valley with PKMs and RPGs, because the fundamental issue there was being able to locate the enemy and return accurate fire. Missing by a football field with Polymer 6.8 instead 5.56 or 7.62 wouldn't have solved the problem. What would've solved the problem is actually being able to locate the Taliban's position and return effective fire.
View All Quotes

After exhaustive analysis and debate the Taliban decided their AKs and PKM machineguns were over-matched by 14.5” M4s and have decided to upgrade their entire army with the superior firepower and accuracy of the M4. One Taliban warlord is quoted as saying “That PKM is a heavy bitch!  Who needs a full size cartridge these days?  Our soldiers will soon be able to carry 50% more ammunition and hit targets beyond 50 meters with precision fire. The full size 7.62 cartridge is dead end for the infantry. “

That might have happened 😂

10:10

In the future, US Infantry will be clearing trenches using 15lb battle rifles with 20 round mags holding .270WSSM...

I have a feeling that, by the time this thing comes to fruition (with all of the "improvements"), a lot of grunts will miss the lightweight and nimble M-14  

It sounds like a great DMR and light machine gun cartridge. But looking at the fighting in Ukraine it would seem to be horrible for regular troops there.  

Gen Milley, no kidding the troops were “over matched “ by PKM 7.62x54 machine guns!! What a damn surprise. How about just fielding more M240s rather than burdening every single soldier with big ass gun and ammo?

I’m a bit surpised to not see more vids of 40mm grenades being used by individual troops. I saw maybe two so far and those compact launchers look great. Seems those would be great for trenches  and dugouts.

As an M-60 gunner in the pre-SAW era, I approve this message.   Would have killed the Army to improve the  Mk-48 and just issue it to the Squad-level?  Since the Army has to issue linked/belted 5.56 in addition to regular 5.56 in boxes/bandoleers, would it kill them to send belted 7.62 instead of belted 5.56?  The DMR is already using 7.62, so it is not like they'd be introducing another size of round to squads.

The obvious response to the "overmatch" issue Milley et al were complaining about is more HE weapons, more drones, better suppressive fire training, better marksmanship training, and better optics. Having Polymer 6.8 wouldn't have made a damn difference when the Taliban were engaging US troops from across the valley with PKMs and RPGs, because the fundamental issue there was being able to locate the enemy and return accurate fire. Missing by a football field with Polymer 6.8 instead 5.56 or 7.62 wouldn't have solved the problem. What would've solved the problem is actually being able to locate the Taliban's position and return effective fire.

I carried a M4 and a M9 in Afghanistan and never felt like I needed a 6.8mm instead of a 5.56mm.  As you pointed out, detection and action on the enemy is far more important  than a specific caliber.  I understand the need for additional "reach", but we have Designated Marksman rifles and can easily replace the SAW with a Mk48 at much less cost than adding 20-ish lbs more weight to the ammo loadout.  A day/night IR/UV optic would probably answer the mail on better detection and a belt-fed 7.62 weapon should address any firepower deficiency.  Both of these COA's would probably "answer the mail" much more effectively than adding another "mass-issue" Small Arms cartridge that weighs almost as much as a 7.62 x 51 and only offers incremental lethality improvements.   The 6.8mm project sounds almost as effectual as necking down a .30-06 to roughly 7mm Mauser length and christening the resulting round as an "intermediate" cartridge.  Thank God we were never stupid enough to do something like that!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
Seems to me the Orcs are hell bent to prove they can defeat Patriot, and seem absolutely willing to blow their load trying.

Do they not realize that even if they eventually get a missile through the world outside of Russia will see that it took hundreds of launches to make it happen. To paraphrase "it is far better to be thought to have a shitty missile product than to launch hundreds and remove any doubts".
View All Quotes
Seems to me the Orcs are hell bent to prove they can defeat Patriot, and seem absolutely willing to blow their load trying.

Do they not realize that even if they eventually get a missile through the world outside of Russia will see that it took hundreds of launches to make it happen. To paraphrase "it is far better to be thought to have a shitty missile product than to launch hundreds and remove any doubts".

Not to mention that a solitary hit is not likely to degrade a PATRIOT system enough to matter.  The system is dispersed, the Ruskies have not demonstrated enough precision to effectively take out the AN/MPQ-53 or the ECS, and the launchers are probably field-repairable from anything short of a near-direct hit. (modular repair/replacement components for the win! )
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

That's big!  Thanks to Britain for manning up to the plate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By coralreefer:

That's big!  Thanks to Britain for manning up to the plate.
View Quote

Yes it is. Good to see stealth cruise missiles really work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By EasTexan:

Whats stopping Putin from annexing Belarus if/when Lukashenko does?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brahm:
Originally Posted By sq40:
Luakashenko in critical condition.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-poisoning-belarus-dictator-luakashenko-083900039.html

non transportable. well if he is going to die from poisoning or natural causes. dying in moscow is the best place. putin is obviously going to try and replace him with a more controllable puppet. however if luakashenko were to dies in moscow. it may just throw belarus into a more rebellious state.

Putin probably wants to retain the fiction of legality, so they’ll probably continue with the “union treaty” process.  If Putin kills Lukashenko, he probably already has the successor within Belarus picked out and has an understanding with him.  If I had to guess, Putin is playing to type and has chosen someone in the internal security service.  He’ll promote stability and continuity with Belarus’ trajectory towards Russia and crush any opposition.  I’d also expect him to try to involve the Belarusian Army in the war sooner than later.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Or struck fully loaded at their airfields by cruise missiles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:
I keep hoping for the day where I read four TU-95's have crashed into the Caspian Sea

Or struck fully loaded at their airfields by cruise missiles.

Nah, that’s a job for a committed 60mm mortar team.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:21:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaehaerys] [#18]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

The fact is Russia never underwent a "de-Communization" like we made Germany "de-Nazify" post WW2. There was never anyone put on trial for the millions the Soviet Union and Communism killed.
View All Quotes

Probably not but I doubt Zelensky ever did either. His one point of favor for Russia is that it is bigger!!

This is just insane rationalization. I quit listening to any broadcast news after 2020 riots and election crap. Glad I did.

Russia always has been and remains the Evil Empire. Anyone that doesn’t recognize that plain fact is disingenuous or mentally damaged. Ukraine is basically doing NATO’s founding purpose and isn’t even in NATO. Saving Europe. I just hope the Poles get a chance to extract some flesh from orc bones before it is over.

It's also important to point out that the Soviet Union wasn't just communist. Realistically, the Russians stopped trying to achieve true communism (a classless, stateless society in which the workers own and control the means of production) in the '30s, because true communism is fundamentally impossible. For most of its existence, I would argue that the Soviet Union was a mixture of Russian colonialism, Russian nationalism, and totalitarianism with some Marxist undertones. In the end, the Soviet Union actually fell apart primarily due to anti-colonial movements by various minorities, just like other 20th century empires.

These are factors that I think people on the right miss when they argue that Russia isn't "communist" anymore. Well, true, but they ceased seriously trying to be communist fairly early on. Many of the fundamental elements of the Soviet Union remain present in Russia today, in terms of paranoia, disregard for the Sovereignty of their neighboring states, hatred for the Western world, etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Literally the next mobik class...
View All Quotes

Holy crap, the mook on the left has a head like a pumpkin!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Putin probably wants to retain the fiction of legality, so they'll probably continue with the "union treaty" process.  If Putin kills Lukashenko, he probably already has the successor within Belarus picked out and has an understanding with him.  If I had to guess, Putin is playing to type and has chosen someone in the internal security service.  He'll promote stability and continuity with Belarus' trajectory towards Russia and crush any opposition.  I'd also expect him to try to involve the Belarusian Army in the war sooner than later.
View All Quotes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-poisoning-belarus-dictator-luakashenko-083900039.html

non transportable. well if he is going to die from poisoning or natural causes. dying in moscow is the best place. putin is obviously going to try and replace him with a more controllable puppet. however if luakashenko were to dies in moscow. it may just throw belarus into a more rebellious state.

Putin probably wants to retain the fiction of legality, so they'll probably continue with the "union treaty" process.  If Putin kills Lukashenko, he probably already has the successor within Belarus picked out and has an understanding with him.  If I had to guess, Putin is playing to type and has chosen someone in the internal security service.  He'll promote stability and continuity with Belarus' trajectory towards Russia and crush any opposition.  I'd also expect him to try to involve the Belarusian Army in the war sooner than later.

Involving the Belarusian Army would be a miscalculation and would risk WW3. Poland is fully aware that if Russia annexes Belarus, they will share a border and be next in line for the attack. They will not sit idly by why the war spreads to their neighbor. They cannot allow Russia to get stronger. A joint attack with Belarus will bring a swift answer from Poland as they will join the war on Ukraine's side and establish a buffer zone within Belarus to protect themselves.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Actually, no.  You would leave that to the short range air defense system close by.   If you absolutely had to, you could use a Patriot, but that is expensive.
View Quote

Give bird hunters machine guns with tracers and I'll bet they can figure out the lead pretty quick.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
It is interesting. I'm honestly surprised they didn't start doing this a while ago. They waited until AD got a lot better.

The report yesterday about the Shitheads also said they were trying new things with approaching from different directions and better using terrain and riverbeds.

View All Quotes
Beat!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxQfX-nXsAIf4Hc?format=png&name=small

lol, well it is very interesting news.

So from reports, not really fake missiles from countermeasures, but missiles and drones using more way points and loitering before changing direction.
It is interesting. I'm honestly surprised they didn't start doing this a while ago. They waited until AD got a lot better.

The report yesterday about the Shitheads also said they were trying new things with approaching from different directions and better using terrain and riverbeds.

Time to set up heavy GPS jamming across those routes.  Their inertial can’t be premium-quality and if they’re flying low they’ll just hit terrain.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#23]

That is why I would propose thermal sights for all rifles, they would not have to be fancy 6.8.  And grenade launchers with ballistic computers out to 1km, with thermal sights.  
View All Quotes

After exhaustive analysis and debate the Taliban decided their AKs and PKM machineguns were over-matched by 14.5” M4s and have decided to upgrade their entire army with the superior firepower and accuracy of the M4. One Taliban warlord is quoted as saying “That PKM is a heavy bitch!  Who needs a full size cartridge these days?  Our soldiers will soon be able to carry 50% more ammunition and hit targets beyond 50 meters with precision fire. The full size 7.62 cartridge is dead end for the infantry. “

That might have happened 😂

10:10

In the future, US Infantry will be clearing trenches using 15lb battle rifles with 20 round mags holding .270WSSM...

I have a feeling that, by the time this thing comes to fruition (with all of the "improvements"), a lot of grunts will miss the lightweight and nimble M-14  

It sounds like a great DMR and light machine gun cartridge. But looking at the fighting in Ukraine it would seem to be horrible for regular troops there.  

Gen Milley, no kidding the troops were “over matched “ by PKM 7.62x54 machine guns!! What a damn surprise. How about just fielding more M240s rather than burdening every single soldier with big ass gun and ammo?

I’m a bit surpised to not see more vids of 40mm grenades being used by individual troops. I saw maybe two so far and those compact launchers look great. Seems those would be great for trenches  and dugouts.

As an M-60 gunner in the pre-SAW era, I approve this message.   Would have killed the Army to improve the  Mk-48 and just issue it to the Squad-level?  Since the Army has to issue linked/belted 5.56 in addition to regular 5.56 in boxes/bandoleers, would it kill them to send belted 7.62 instead of belted 5.56?  The DMR is already using 7.62, so it is not like they'd be introducing another size of round to squads.

That is why I would propose thermal sights for all rifles, they would not have to be fancy 6.8.  And grenade launchers with ballistic computers out to 1km, with thermal sights.  

Yes, seems like a much more fruitful force multiplier.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#24]
Lots of various missile debris reports in many areas indicating they were intercepted.

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1662995462410973186

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxQljr1WcAA1yvZ?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxQljrzWIAEtSXJ?format=jpg&name=large

Surprised to see a DIP package National Semiconductor device. I figured the G forces would preclude the use of DIPs. The surrounding components look old as fuck too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Sad that I’ve been looking at this for a couple minutes now thinking “No, that…..nah……but….no there is no way those are actual modern troops….but……it’s Russia……nah……”
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By YesChef:

Sad that I’ve been looking at this for a couple minutes now thinking “No, that…..nah……but….no there is no way those are actual modern troops….but……it’s Russia……nah……”
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By YesChef:

Look at the head on that guy on the left end.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#27]
28 May: UNEXPECTED MOVE. Ukrainians GET AROUND RUSSIAN DEFENSES | War in Ukraine Explained
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#28]

It's also important to point out that the Soviet Union wasn't just communist. Realistically, the Russians stopped trying to achieve true communism (a classless, stateless society in which the workers own and control the means of production) in the '30s, because true communism is fundamentally impossible. For most of its existence, I would argue that the Soviet Union was a mixture of Russian colonialism, Russian nationalism, and totalitarianism with some Marxist undertones. In the end, the Soviet Union actually fell apart primarily due to anti-colonial movements by various minorities, just like other 20th century empires.

These are factors that I think people on the right miss when they argue that Russia isn't "communist" anymore. Well, true, but they ceased seriously trying to be communist fairly early on. Many of the fundamental elements of the Soviet Union remain present in Russia today, in terms of paranoia, disregard for the Sovereignty of their neighboring states, hatred for the Western world, etc.
View All Quotes

Much like modern China is actually more Fascist than Communist like they claim.

It's all authoritarian statism at the end of the day regardless of how it's dressed up and it was never purged from the society in the way the Imperial mindset was purged from Japan.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Ill try to explain as an avid Tucker supporter and nightly viewer. Tucker was very anti-Ukraine since the invasion. Like he was raped while on vacation in Ukraine type anti-Ukraine. He criticized them for "anti-democratic" bullshit like their efforts to suppress Russian propaganda and the Russian Orthodox Church, etc. that would seem logic actions when involved in an existential war. Tucker also consistently and constantly criticized Zelensky as being a dictator, un-democratic, autocratic and corrupt. Once the USA finally started sending military aid, he was very against it, always saying we cant afford it and have no business getting involved in this war. Pretty much any and every topic of Russian propaganda went right out of his mouth and on air.

I'm sure there is MUCH more crap that Tucker spouted off about Ukraine but this is on top of my head as an ex fan of Tucker.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

What did Tucker say that was so bad so early to turn your friend off?
I know that he said he was on Russia's side a couple years ago but that was before the invasion.
I know he's been rather weak on supporting Ukraine but I don't really know exactly what he said because I don't listen to him.

I find it hard to care about what's in America's best interest regarding Ukraine when our government is doing everything it can to destroy this country internally. Nor is their motive pure regarding anything they do regarding Ukraine.

I do staunchly support Ukraine just because they are defending themselves against the invading tyrant. Anyone who believes in and cares about freedom should be supporting someone resisting an invader. A part of me kind of wishes I was there helping them.

Ill try to explain as an avid Tucker supporter and nightly viewer. Tucker was very anti-Ukraine since the invasion. Like he was raped while on vacation in Ukraine type anti-Ukraine. He criticized them for "anti-democratic" bullshit like their efforts to suppress Russian propaganda and the Russian Orthodox Church, etc. that would seem logic actions when involved in an existential war. Tucker also consistently and constantly criticized Zelensky as being a dictator, un-democratic, autocratic and corrupt. Once the USA finally started sending military aid, he was very against it, always saying we cant afford it and have no business getting involved in this war. Pretty much any and every topic of Russian propaganda went right out of his mouth and on air.

I'm sure there is MUCH more crap that Tucker spouted off about Ukraine but this is on top of my head as an ex fan of Tucker.

I don't like Zelensky either as he appears to be a left leaning globalist but I really can't see how you can criticize Zelensky as a dictator but take Russia's side. If Zelensky is a dictator then what is Putin ?

For the record I don't like Zelensky but I wouldn't say he is a dictator. Efforts to suppress Russian proganda during the war make sense.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By strykr:

Involving the Belarusian Army would be a miscalculation and would risk WW3. Poland is fully aware that if Russia annexes Belarus, they will share a border and be next in line for the attack. They will not sit idly by why the war spreads to their neighbor. They cannot allow Russia to get stronger. A joint attack with Belarus will bring a swift answer from Poland as they will join the war on Ukraine's side and establish a buffer zone within Belarus to protect themselves.
View All Quotes

I disagree that Belarusian involvement would necessarily bring Poland in.
There have been reports that the Belarusian Army has already handed over most of its artillery ammo.  What they can supply is more meat.  The Belarusian Army can be parted out and sent in as replacements and it would be somewhat difficult to tell for a while.
This is why they’re making a big deal about an independent Belarusian nuke deterrent force - so they can push Belarusian manpower into Ukraine and defend the Polish border with nukes.  This may work until Putin’s new puppet starts mobilizing civilians, at which point we may see mass protests and mass repression.
Lukashenko fucked up, waited too long and got too greedy, thinking he could make a play for all the marbles.  His best play was turning coat to NATO while he had value.
Putin doesn't give a fuck right now.  He’s desperate and will run any risk short of direct attacks on NATO.  If Poland intervenes it gives Putin what he wants, an attack by NATO against him that allows him to escalate to nukes “defensively”.  Poland probably will not go there alone.
NATO needs to be thinking through these scenarios and have responses ready.  For example, if Putin makes a play for Belarusian manpower, the cabinets with ATACMS and DPICM need to be opened immediately and start flowing freely.  There’s a counter that can keep Poland on the sidelines.
The Belarusians need to take action and suffer the consequences, or be dragged down with Russia.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By coleridge:

I saw that article yesterday on CNN & noticed the picture is captioned "A man shoots an AK-12 Kalashnikov assault rifle ahead of an arms show in Russia in 2020."

Only problem is, that's not an AK-12. That looks to be a PP-19 Vityaz, 9mm, look at the magazine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coleridge:

I saw that article yesterday on CNN & noticed the picture is captioned "A man shoots an AK-12 Kalashnikov assault rifle ahead of an arms show in Russia in 2020."

Only problem is, that's not an AK-12. That looks to be a PP-19 Vityaz, 9mm, look at the magazine.
The article was written by a journalist. You can't expect it to be accurate.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#32]

I don't like Zelensky either as he appears to be a left leaning globalist but I really can't see how you can criticize Zelensky as a dictator but take Russia's side. If Zelensky is a dictator then what is Putin ?

For the record I don't like Zelensky but I wouldn't say he is a dictator. Efforts to suppress Russian proganda during the war make sense.
View All Quotes

I know that he said he was on Russia's side a couple years ago but that was before the invasion.
I know he's been rather weak on supporting Ukraine but I don't really know exactly what he said because I don't listen to him.

I find it hard to care about what's in America's best interest regarding Ukraine when our government is doing everything it can to destroy this country internally. Nor is their motive pure regarding anything they do regarding Ukraine.

I do staunchly support Ukraine just because they are defending themselves against the invading tyrant. Anyone who believes in and cares about freedom should be supporting someone resisting an invader. A part of me kind of wishes I was there helping them.

I'm neutral on Zelensky. I think he fucked up by refusing to mobilize ahead of the invasion, and I'm sure I have my own disagreements with him politically. However, he did stay in Kyiv when he could've fled, and I think his war time leadership has been pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Zelensky ran on an agenda of anti-corruption and at least semi-accommodation with Russia, but who knows what his personal worldview is?
As to being a globalist - well, if you’re trying to save your nation from annihilation I figure you’re willing to sing the tune you think gives you the best chance of that.
Probably not going to get a lot of artillery shells from Europe by telling them they’re a bunch of authoritarian eurotrash fags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#34]

There have been reports that the Belarusian Army has already handed over most of its artillery ammo.  What they can supply is more meat.  The Belarusian Army can be parted out and sent in as replacements and it would be somewhat difficult to tell for a while.
This is why they’re making a big deal about an independent Belarusian nuke deterrent force - so they can push Belarusian manpower into Ukraine and defend the Polish border with nukes.  This may work until Putin’s new puppet starts mobilizing civilians, at which point we may see mass protests and mass repression.
Lukashenko fucked up, waited too long and got too greedy, thinking he could make a play for all the marbles.  His best play was turning coat to NATO while he had value.
Putin doesn't give a fuck right now.  He’s desperate and will run any risk short of direct attacks on NATO.  If Poland intervenes it gives Putin what he wants, an attack by NATO against him that allows him to escalate to nukes “defensively”.  Poland probably will not go there alone.
NATO needs to be thinking through these scenarios and have responses ready.  For example, if Putin makes a play for Belarusian manpower, the cabinets with ATACMS and DPICM need to be opened immediately and start flowing freely.  There’s a counter that can keep Poland on the sidelines.
The Belarusians need to take action and suffer the consequences, or be dragged down with Russia.
View All Quotes

That's a really good point about the Russians pushing nukes into Belarus because they intend to send the Belarusian military into Ukraine. I hadn't considered that, but it makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I honestly don’t think we can draw many conclusions about Zelensky and how he fits into the leftist BS we all know and love since he’s playing nice in the sand box for his country to win this. Poland struggles with the rest of the EU on their leftist crap.

I’m definitely interested to see how things go after the war. He’ll play nice with whomever he needs to keep Russia from invading again and I can’t say I’d do any different.

The context of actual existential survival (unlike our political global warming existential survival crap) is very important here when making judgements.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:30:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Gooch] [#36]

View All Quotes

Fully annexing Belarus into Russia would also cost Putin a vote at the UN. Belarus can vote favorably for Russia as an independent nation, so it is better that it is, at least on paper, a sovereign nation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#37]

I'm neutral on Zelensky. I think he fucked up by refusing to mobilize ahead of the invasion, and I'm sure I have my own disagreements with him politically. However, he did stay in Kyiv when he could've fled, and I think his war time leadership has been pretty good.
View All Quotes

They’ve generally kept quiet about this, but there are enough reports and hints to know that one or more persons high up had been turned and was giving Zelensky bad advice that the invasion wasn't going to happen, and if it did it would only be in the east.  Most Ukrainian Army units were sent east - away from Kiev and Kherson.  Kiev was saved by artillery brigades and scratch infantry units.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Putin probably wants to retain the fiction of legality, so they’ll probably continue with the “union treaty” process.  If Putin kills Lukashenko, he probably already has the successor within Belarus picked out and has an understanding with him.  If I had to guess, Putin is playing to type and has chosen someone in the internal security service.  He’ll promote stability and continuity with Belarus’ trajectory towards Russia and crush any opposition.  I’d also expect him to try to involve the Belarusian Army in the war sooner than later.
View All Quotes

What are the chances Belarus gets a Maidan movement when Lukasheno dies? The trouble with an effective monarchy is that transitions of power can become messy and unpredictable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:36:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#39]

View All Quotes
Beat!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxQfX-nXsAIf4Hc?format=png&name=small

lol, well it is very interesting news.

So from reports, not really fake missiles from countermeasures, but missiles and drones using more way points and loitering before changing direction.

Sooner or later the west is either going to admit it is past time to assist Ukraine to take out the launch site/equipment or Ukraine will develop the capability itself to target ships, bombers, airbases, mobile launchers or delivery craft like the transports, or even the factories. We likely already have the exact intel for tracking and targeting.

Won’t happen right away but before this year is out I predict the UK, or Poland or Ukraine comes through with it and starts eliminating the sources. If I was Ukraine I would be working non-stop on how to infiltrate a small force deep enough to destroy factories. And very long range drones to hit ships and parked aircraft. With Storm Shadow they can hit 500 km. But the Shahed can go 2,000 km. At least copy those bastards as a starting point. Then improve it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

I honestly don’t think we can draw many conclusions about Zelensky and how he fits into the leftist BS we all know and love since he’s playing nice in the sand box for his country to win this. Poland struggles with the rest of the EU on their leftist crap.

I’m definitely interested to see how things go after the war. He’ll play nice with whomever he needs to keep Russia from invading again and I can’t say I’d do any different.

The context of actual existential survival (unlike our political global warming existential survival crap) is very important here when making judgements.
View All Quotes

I base that by his actions and statements before the war. His admiration for Justin Trudeau is concerning. He is a leftist. I have great distain for leftism.

However I support Ukraine in spite of him. I know people who rant about Zelensky as a reason not to support Ukraine. I think that is ridiculous. Most of the world has left leaning leaders. That isn't justification for mass murder and invasion from another nation bent on conquest with a leader who is no better anyway.

As far as after the war, I do not think Ukraine will fare well. They will likely move toward globalism and the EU especially after this war. I hope I am wrong about that. I'd rather see them remain a largely independent nation but armed to the teeth to deter future Russian invasion. But all that remains to be seem, obviously they have more pressing issues to deal with right now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

What are the chances Belarus gets a Maidan movement when Lukasheno dies? The trouble with an effective monarchy is that transitions of power can become messy and unpredictable.
View All Quotes

A real popular uprising can work, but Putin will kill 10,000 Belarusians in the streets before he lets go of Belarus.  Belarusians have to be prepared to suffer that, and probably have to be prepared to hang every FSB agent they can find.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

I agree with that.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Believe they already tried in 2020. Hopefully they will have better luck next time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:52:38 AM EDT
[#44]

I base that by his actions and statements before the war. His admiration for Justin Trudeau is concerning. He is a leftist. I have great distain for leftism.

However I support Ukraine in spite of him. I know people who rant about Zelensky as a reason not to support Ukraine. I think that is ridiculous. Most of the world has left leaning leaders. That isn't justification for mass murder and invasion from another nation bent on conquest with a leader who is no better anyway.

As far as after the war, I do not think Ukraine will fare well. They will likely move toward globalism and the EU especially after this war. I hope I am wrong about that. I'd rather see them remain a largely independent nation but armed to the teeth to deter future Russian invasion. But all that remains to be seem, obviously they have more pressing issues to deal with right now.
View All Quotes

After the war Ukraine and Poland will be in a strong bargaining position vis-a-vis the EU/Germany/France.
Russia probably won’t be completely prostrate (i.e, Germany/Japan) and will continue to be a threat to Europe for another 20-30 years, either directly or via instability and internal conflict.  Europe needs a meatshield, and that’s Poland and Ukraine.  Europe simply can’t afford to fuck them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Huh. So they finally started mobilizing the Russian intelligentsia? Be on your toes!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:18:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5XqnZcrD8
View Quote

Excellent context for some of the recent assault videos.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Another lol, if it hasn't already been posted.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:33:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Prime:

View Quote

that 3rd vid using the walking dead theme song.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Should the Rooskies manage to destroy the Patriot.. we should a replacement right back in by next-day air just to piss them off even more.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4123 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top