Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4154 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't mind seeing what an AML90 could do while hiding in the forrest

Panhard AML-90 del Ejército Argentino abriendo fuego durante una salida al terreno. ??????

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

It'd be interesting to see that concept with israeli spike missiles. It'd be especially nasty in taiwan, where target density would presumably be higher

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pereh
View Quote

Or do Brimstone. It’s like Spike but fire and forget, using radar.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I'm sorry about your dad. Mine is somewhat similar but in a different way...listening to Russian propaganda via Hungarian news outlets.

But I'm confused by your statement about "Trumpism". Trump wanted to control immigration and have our crooked NATO allies contribute their fare share and not suck Putin's cock for oil and gas. If that was "hyper-polarizing" you must really be pissed at Zelensky and Ukraine in general. This whole war has proven EVERYTHING Trump was saying as correct.

It was the commie asshole democrats that accused Trump of everything they were actively doing, fabricating fake dossiers and letters signed by 51 crooks, then destroyed the last semblance of a fair election with their covid fascism that turned America against itself. You are blaming Trump because the demo-commies destroyed America in their attempts to destroy Trump? Feel free to hate trump but dont blame him for all the shit the demo-commies did to America. And dont be too upset with your dad for being a little sinical.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

My dad was one of the more unpleasant shocks I’ve had.  The subject of Ukraine kinda came up by accident a few months ago.  I expected his attitude to be basically “whatever, not our business.”  Which would be pretty much in keeping with his politics and at least understandable.
Instead, some things that stuck out:  “Zelensky’s an IDIOT.”  “He’s over here BEGGING.”  “Ukraine’s going to be destroyed!”  The most disturbing thing to me is that he sounded almost eager for the last statement to be true.
I was stunned.  He couldn't or wouldn't address why Zelensky was an idiot and was vague about why he believed the rest, except that, essentially, Ukraine had helped Biden/hurt Trump.  I told him that Ukraine wasn’t going to be destroyed and Russia had already taken massive losses and was headed for collapse.  I was pretty angry and figured it wasn’t a good idea to turn it into a long argument.
Where is it coming from?  Based on his history, Trump, and the political “in” that Trumpism gave to our foreign enemies.  Hyper-polarization (probably driven by foreign influencers) has convinced a chunk of Americans that other Americans are their literal enemies, and whoever is the enemy of our domestic political “enemies” is our friend.  My dad’s very intelligent, but IMO has wholeheartedly swallowed Trumpism and the influencers that surround it.  We’ve gotten into it a few times over that previously.  I couldn’t get out of him exactly where he was picking these things up.  I doubt anything will change for him at this point.
My mom and stepdad not nearly so much.  Both have to some degree swallowed Trumpism, and are still, IMO, somewhat ambiguous about Ukraine because of the perception “they helped Biden and hurt Trump.”  But they both remember Russia is the enemy and think the invasion is wrong, and hope Russia is defeated.

I'm sorry about your dad. Mine is somewhat similar but in a different way...listening to Russian propaganda via Hungarian news outlets.

But I'm confused by your statement about "Trumpism". Trump wanted to control immigration and have our crooked NATO allies contribute their fare share and not suck Putin's cock for oil and gas. If that was "hyper-polarizing" you must really be pissed at Zelensky and Ukraine in general. This whole war has proven EVERYTHING Trump was saying as correct.

It was the commie asshole democrats that accused Trump of everything they were actively doing, fabricating fake dossiers and letters signed by 51 crooks, then destroyed the last semblance of a fair election with their covid fascism that turned America against itself. You are blaming Trump because the demo-commies destroyed America in their attempts to destroy Trump? Feel free to hate trump but dont blame him for all the shit the demo-commies did to America. And dont be too upset with your dad for being a little sinical.

Thanks to fervid for bringing this up, I meant to respond but couldn’t find the post.
Here’s what I call “Trumpism.”  And by the way, I think you could call it Obamism with equal accuracy.
Trump and Obama are essentially the same political animal.  They are both political nobodies with no real political agenda on record.  Trump is not a conservative, and Obama is much more a statist than he is a “liberal.”  Both existed to be the focus of adoration of their team, and simultaneously for the hatred of the other team.  Call it the politics of personality over the politics of ideology.  They were there to drive polarization over side/secondary issues so that honest discussion of the primary issues was impossible.  Each, contrary to their stated beliefs, continued to move the political situation further down the road to “non-democracy.”
Both made a big show of petty power plays and incendiary rhetoric, so that “their side” could fantasize about rubbing their cocks in “the enemy’s” face.  This helps to make up for the fact that US citizens are increasingly losing control of our government.  Basically it’s the two-party system’s circus-show cover for the creeping disenfranchisement of the US citizen.
Trump presented himself as an opponent of all that, which is bullshit.  Trump was and is a tool just like Obama was a tool.  Trump isn’t a clown or an idiot, though I forgive people for calling him that.  He’s playing a role and probably is being very well paid.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By m35ben:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPDkNhqPn4
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I think a modernized AML with a 50mm gun would be great for supporting infantry.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I'd really like to know the particulars of how we decide what aid goes to Ukraine. Biden isn't a king, he can't just decide to start sending stuff on his own. Our country was set up specifically to prevent that. The process is supposed to be hard to get anything done. Lots of different people have to agree. And also beyond that, I'm sure there are people in governments in Europe who are either against us helping Ukraine because they are russian sympathizers, or they are still afraid of this turning into nuclear ww3.
Perhaps the process would go easier if it wasn't for people on the right screaming against helping Ukraine.
View Quote

He’s got a draw down budget to work with and can send almost anything he wants, except some specifically regulated technology.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Because as long as its not a humilating route of the Ukrainians, he doesnt care.   It won't be another bloack mark on his hideous legacy, like the afghanistan abandonment was.
He doesnt care that slow walking weapons is causing more civilian casualties by prolonging the fighting.
And you can't dismiss the possibility that this POS is asking for tribute (kickback $j to provide the protection/new weapons.   Always a mafia POS slime, thats all he ever has been.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:

Yeah...now that the long range cherry has been broken, I don't understand why Biden is still reluctant to provide the U.S. version.

Time for ATACMS and other weapons to help level the playing field.

Because as long as its not a humilating route of the Ukrainians, he doesnt care.   It won't be another bloack mark on his hideous legacy, like the afghanistan abandonment was.
He doesnt care that slow walking weapons is causing more civilian casualties by prolonging the fighting.
And you can't dismiss the possibility that this POS is asking for tribute (kickback $j to provide the protection/new weapons.   Always a mafia POS slime, thats all he ever has been.

Pretty certain, much to the angst of gd, he has been giving away billions of arms to the ukranians with jo strings attached.  Unlike the previous president.

Unless you're one one of those "10% for durrrrr big guy"
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:41:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m35ben] [#9]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I think a modernized AML with a 50mm gun would be great for supporting infantry.
View Quote
I think the90 is just fine. More HE
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

My thought is still that the primary goal of the US isn't Ukrainian defense but to 'boil the bear' and deplete Russia's conventional military.

Storm Shadow pushes Russia harder, but not a rapid end to the war due to limited numbers.

ATACMS in quantity would allow Ukraine to methodically dismantle Russia's entire combat support infrastructure to a depth that makes pushing things out of range completely impractical. It would break Russia's ability to defend the territory they occupy, which is why it hasn't happened yet.
View All Quotes

Yeah...now that the long range cherry has been broken, I don't understand why Biden is still reluctant to provide the U.S. version.

My thought is still that the primary goal of the US isn't Ukrainian defense but to 'boil the bear' and deplete Russia's conventional military.

Storm Shadow pushes Russia harder, but not a rapid end to the war due to limited numbers.

ATACMS in quantity would allow Ukraine to methodically dismantle Russia's entire combat support infrastructure to a depth that makes pushing things out of range completely impractical. It would break Russia's ability to defend the territory they occupy, which is why it hasn't happened yet.

It could also go into effect very quickly.  The decision could be made one day, and 50-odd vehicles could be shooting them almost the next day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Prime:

We publish a request from the editors of RIA "New Day" and the answer:
Dear Evgeny Viktorovich, Hello.
On May 20, you announced that Wagner PMC units were going to the rear areas. What is the situation on June 2? Did the units leave Artemovsk? Were there any incidents or provocations on the part of the Armed Forces of Ukraine? Thank you.

We publish a comment by Evgeny Prigozhin:
“At the moment, on June 2, almost all 99% of the Wagner PMC units left Bakhmut. All positions have been handed over to the Ministry of Defense in due course. No questions, no comments.
As for provocations. As of today, there are no provocations against us from the side of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, however, it should be noted that surprises were waiting for us from the other side. Shortly before our departure, we detected suspicious activity along our route. As part of the discovery of this suspicious activity, we called law enforcement and began to investigate our exit routes along the roads. We found about a dozen places where various explosive devices were placed, ranging from hundreds of anti-tank mines to tons of plastid - a charge from the so-called "Serpent Gorynych". All this was under control, while we carried out investigative actions, again together with law enforcement agencies, in order to document everything. Investigations and investigations are underway. Those who planted these charges were representatives of the Ministry of Defense. When asked why you did it, they point their fingers up. Questions are not yet answered. These charges did not need to be stacked in order to contain the enemy, since it is located in the rear zone. Therefore, it can be assumed that they wanted to meet the advancing units of the Wagner PMC with these charges, although we do not walk in columns.
As a matter of fact, that's it. Everything is safe and sound. No harm done. What was it? We assume that this was an attempt at public flogging.
Thank you".

https://t.me/Prigozhin_hat/3564

View Quote

Who to believe?  Prigozhin is a self-serving liar.  So are Shoigu/Gerasimov and crew.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Why is it that if a country or area is labeled the "People's Republic of X" it's always shit?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:
Twitter thread on DPR failing to compensate families of troops used as meat by the Russians.

Citizens of the puppet 'Donetsk People's Republic' (DNR) are complaining en masse that they are not being paid their promised compensation for deaths and injuries caused to local residents by the war. The DNR itself admits that it owes more than 38 billion rubles ($467m).

Relatives and soldiers of the DNR's armed forces   which have been decimated due to being used as so-called 'meat waves' against Ukrainian positions   have been posting numerous videos complaining about the lack of compensation payments and appealing to Putin for help.

In one video, a wife says: "Starting from September 2022, funding for lump-sum compensation for wounded and killed DNR servicemen for 2022 was terminated. We submitted documents to the commission of the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy of the DNR.

"There are a lot of us. We applied to all authorities. From the presidential administration to the Prosecutor General's Office of the Russian Federation.

"All our appeals are forwarded to the government of the DNR, which redirects them to the Ministry of Labour, and the answers come from there that there is no funding. We write to the deputies and there are no results."

According to the wife of one wounded soldier, his unit "collected all the necessary documents promptly, the medical examiner issued a conclusion of a severe injury.

"In November we submitted all the documents for payment, and for seven months there have been no payments, the allowance during treatment is 30,000 rubles ($371). The answer is the same, there is no funding."

People seeking compensation have complained to the DNR state prosecutor's office, which admitted that an audit had "established the fact of lack of funding for this type of payment, which requires an amount of more than 38 billion rubles."

It's very unlikely that the DNR will be able to pay the sums it owes, as its finances are precarious, its economy is a mess and it's kept afloat only by Russian government funding.

The Russian government has shown little concern previously for the welfare of DNR soldiers and their families, so there seems to be little likelihood that the relatives' video appeals will achieve much.

Gee, it's almost as if Russia never actually gave a shit about the "DPR" and "LPR," and instead just viewed them as being tools to destabilize its neighbor.
Why is it that if a country or area is labeled the "People's Republic of X" it's always shit?

Because it’s never “the people’s” republic.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]

He hasn’t been doing a whole lot of that lately.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Details of the explosion of the dumpling from Mykhailivka.
Partisans roasted the collaborator Davidyuk, whom the Russian mass media dubbed Hydovodyuk.
Together with him, 3 occupiers went to the concert in Kobzon.
It is known that Davidyuk is the owner of the "Hetman" tavern, where FSB officers and collaborators, as well as oil mills, gathered.

We are still investigating whether the collaborator is still alive.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxoxfBpX0As2syH?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote

He’s dead, Jim.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#16]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Lt General Ben Hodges doesn't think Ukraine is going to target the Kerch bridge. Makes a fair argument that the Ukrainians would want to keep it open so the Russian troops and civilians can evacuate on it after the land bridge and ship supplies to Crimea are cut off.
View Quote

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Russian troops will never evacuate Crimea. The Kremlin/Putin will fall before that happens, IMO.
And the fewer civilians, the easier it'll be to keep it supplied with food, water, fuel. When is the rail bridge supposed to be repaired?

I see 3 options

1. Starve them logistically until they are combat ineffective.
2. Take high casualties liberating it conventionally.
3. Cede Crimea

That said, I expect Hodges knows better than me.

ETA: maybe the plan is to force russia to blow the bridge to prevent retreat.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Auto5guy:

But God help the nation that has to assimilate/rehabilitate a million drunken, paranoid russians.

They might find independence being thrust upon them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:

This is funny but the reality is that if the russian federation breaks up nobody is going to want Kaliningrad because it's full of russians.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxlmyknXoAAGUHW?format=png&name=small

What does Danzig look like these days? There is precedent to treat the residents as citizens of another country regardless of place of birth.

But God help the nation that has to assimilate/rehabilitate a million drunken, paranoid russians.

They might find independence being thrust upon them.

I think “expel” is the word you’re looking for.  Russia needs the manpower anyway.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#18]

It’s really unfortunate for Hungary.  Orban had the chance to parlay the situation into some major policy wins fo4 Hungary, but instead he’s just being an obstructionist.
The only way this will change is if Europe finds the goods on him.  He will otherwise never have a change of heart.
View All Quotes

Europe needs to do a deep dive into Orban’s finances.  His loyalty to Putin probably isn’t just ideological.

There is no other logical explanation. Hungary was extensively abused by Russia in the last century and memories are long. There are folks in this thread like Joszi and myself that have had family members murdered by the Russians. My grandfather spent years in Siberia and walked home eating grass to survive. Another great-uncle was murdered after surrendering to Russian troops in our home town. We only know what happened to him because one of his friends managed to barely escape. Many, maybe most Hungarian families have stories like this. Yet now, as Russia is finally getting some very long overdue justice while trying to brutalize yet another neighbor, and Hungary is leading the defense of Russia??!! WTF Vic!

It’s really unfortunate for Hungary.  Orban had the chance to parlay the situation into some major policy wins fo4 Hungary, but instead he’s just being an obstructionist.
The only way this will change is if Europe finds the goods on him.  He will otherwise never have a change of heart.

I remember reading some articles on him in conservative periodicals from the year before the war started talking about a lot of indicia of corruption on his part being present and that some of the ostensibly conservative legislation (which had some good and bad features) appeared to be set up to divert funds to himself and his friends.  I bet he's extremely corrupt, using his nationalist side as a political tool to hold into power (which is a big part of what nationalism is about), and that Russia used that to get its hooks into him.  IMO he's most likely compromised.  I don't think this aspect of his policy is to Hungary's benefit, either, despite some apologies from certain people here who are from Hungary or have Hungarian ancestry and I don't consider the nuclear power plant issue to be an adequate explanation for most of his behavior, especially at this point.  

The unfortunate thing about Orban is that the likely alternatives are worse from a domestic policy perspective, as I'm sure if he got the boot the probability of replacement by a Leftist and pro-EU type is considerable.

I do find it interesting how the nationalist and populist elements of the Right in Europe have almost entirely across the board come to have a special affinity with Russia, which is also true in the U.S., along with some other Rightists not of that stripe.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Russian troops will never evacuate Crimea. The Kremlin/Putin will fall before that happens, IMO.
And the fewer civilians, the easier it'll be to keep it supplied with food, water, fuel. When is the rail bridge supposed to be repaired?

I see 3 options

1. Starve them logistically until they are combat ineffective.
2. Take high casualties liberating it conventionally.
3. Cede Crimea

That said, I expect Hodges knows better than me.

ETA: maybe the plan is to force russia to blow the bridge to prevent retreat.
View Quote

I think it may be best to cut the land bridge off. Hit the supply ships with Neptunes or whatever. Make it so they either leave or starve.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By yekimak:
Contender for high jump record.

I don't know if blowing the kerch bridge open is a good idea or not, but keeping Russian assets tied up there guarding it is a good plan. And I think that there is a high probability that leaving it open will lead to internal conflicts between those that want to leave and those charged with not letting them go when things finally kick off.
View Quote

The Blyat Splat.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By XeroSygnal:

I've been saying this for years...  open up the troop compartment on a surplus M113 and vertically mount however many Javelins as you can there (12?  16?).  Kind of like the Vertical Launch System (VLS) on warships.  Have a separate aiming unit (wireless if possible but if not then on a long cable) that can be dismounted from the M113 so that whomever is aiming and launching can do so from cover / concealment while the vehicle sits hull down or behind a building.
View Quote

Brits did something close with Striker and Swingfire.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#25]

Yep, going to miss them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Brits did something close with Striker and Swingfire.
View Quote
There is a BRDM-2 variant that does that also.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Because it’s never “the people’s” republic.
View Quote

Except the People's republic of Belgorod. They are fighting for freedom
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Clip board dude got fired? What?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#31]
There is a BRDM-2 variant that does that also.
View Quote

Which you will get to see soon
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread is snail atm, time to post a vid about historic Russian shenanigans:

The Dumbest Russian Voyage Nobody Talks About

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
View Quote

Basically an 1151 HMMWV with a 20mm?

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#38]
The Frankenstein Monster Tank that is Pounding Russia
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's why I think the Kerch Bridge is not long(ish) for this world.

https://www.engineering.com/story/europes-longest-bridge-spans-troubled-waters

tl;dr -- the Kerch Straits is a terrible place to build a bridge; everything is against it:

Foundational -- you have to drive piles down 200 feet through silty mud into solid bedrock, and then a further 100 feet into the bedrock for stability concerns.

Currents -- Because of the extremely strong currents; the bridge piers are actually suspended in mid-water over dozens of individual piles to let the currents flow through as shown in the image below.

Fault-Line -- It passes over an active fault.

Mud Volcanoes -- Yes, these are a thing. "Further complicating matters is that the strait’s seismic activity can make mud volcanoes from the silt. Mud volcanoes are formed when water heated deep in the Earth’s crust mixes with underground mineral deposits, and the mixture is forced upward through a geological fault."

Ice -- Ice in the winter beats the hell out of piers and other structures. A lot of smart people think that any span over 200 meters (700+ feet) is safe from ice. The longest span is 227m, but most spans on the bridge are shorter than that.

In short, the bridge is an engineering feat in itself that would require the services of a top grade general contractor (of which there are only a few in the world) as well as a sustained development/planning process.

The reality is...

In early 2015, the Russian government awarded the 228billion-ruble ($3.7 billion) bridge contract to infrastructure construction firm Stroygazmontazh Ltd. (SGM), a company that specialized in pipelines but which had not previously built any major bridges.

Basically, the company is/was owned by a Putin crony/friend.

Even under construction, the thing was already cracking -- this image is from 2017:

Theoretically, it was designed for a 100 year lifespan.

Applying a "corruption" factor; it probably only has a 40 year lifespan.

But here's where it gets tricky. These lifespans are calculated using a set rate of tonnage moving over the bridge (i.e. so many 3 ton vehicles and 15 ton vehicles per day).

As a vital logistics link; I believe the Russians have been shoving a massive amount of tonnage over the bridge since the war started; because it's an all weather connection, unlike ferries which can't run if the waves get too rough.

I would not be surprised if thanks to the overloading during this war, the actual lifespan is now down to about 10 or 15 years...

Maybe less, depending on how drunk the inspector(s) were each day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#40]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPDkNhqPn4
View Quote

Part of me wonders if the historical SADF approach to AFVs doesn't match up pretty well with the modern UA requirements? Relatively open terrain, not a lot of obstacles (or cover), "bush" in the form of tree belts? I guess the main difference would be seasonal mud and river obstacles. Hmmm. 🤔💭

Make Ratel IFV Great Again.

But all wheeled vehicles are way the hell heavier than they ever were in the 1970s. And Ukraine isn't a rich country, so all that bridging and support has a cost all its own. I look at what they have done with M113s and MRAPs and a whole mish-mash of everything else, and wonder...maybe wheeled Brigades would suit their style? Motorized Cossacks?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#42]

They could at least wreck one span
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Lt General Ben Hodges doesn't think Ukraine is going to target the Kerch bridge. Makes a fair argument that the Ukrainians would want to keep it open so the Russian troops and civilians can evacuate on it after the land bridge and ship supplies to Crimea are cut off.

They could at least wreck one span

Drop it all.  Sink any ships approaching Crimea.  Isolate all of the Russians in the area, then cut the water off again.  Without resupply from Russia they will be under pressure to surrender without AFU trying to force the narrows.

Alternatively they can use them in negotiating peace.  In exchange for Russian citizens being repatriated to Russia for a return to our 2014 borders.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By yekimak:
Contender for high jump record.

I don't know if blowing the kerch bridge open is a good idea or not, but keeping Russian assets tied up there guarding it is a good plan. And I think that there is a high probability that leaving it open will lead to internal conflicts between those that want to leave and those charged with not letting them go when things finally kick off.
View Quote

R. Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly (963Hz)
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

If you can bend a prop shaft or disconnect a reduction gear from all the other fiddly bits, then you don't have to sink her, you'll just consign her to dry dock for 10 years.

Source: Naval Engineering Night School for Kids Who Want to Read Good, and Do Other Stuff Too
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Part of me wonders if the historical SADF approach to AFVs doesn't match up pretty well with the modern UA requirements? Relatively open terrain, not a lot of obstacles (or cover), "bush" in the form of tree belts? I guess the main difference would be seasonal mud and river obstacles. Hmmm.

Make Ratel IFV Great Again.

But all wheeled vehicles are way the hell heavier than they ever were in the 1970s. And Ukraine isn't a rich country, so all that bridging and support has a cost all its own. I look at what they have done with M113s and MRAPs and a whole mish-mash of everything else, and wonder...maybe wheeled Brigades would suit their style? Motorized Cossacks?
View Quote
Ukraine kind of has used something like the French doctrine with light armor. Its made me think things over a bit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

If you can bend a prop shaft or disconnect a reduction gear from all the other fiddly bits, then you don't have to sink her, you'll just consign her to dry dock for 10 years.

Source: Naval Engineering Night School for Kids Who Want to Read Good, and Do Other Stuff Too
View Quote
If the thrust bearing is messed up things are really fucked.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Joe tries to explain to the inhabitants of Bilhorod why taking cell phone pictures and video of Air Defense sites might not be a good idea (he can talk to plants).
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#48]

This has been my fear too.

I get the concept of boiling the bear, but the question is how many additional Ukrainians will die before the bear taps out.

I wouldn't want to be a member of this administration if the press or historians in the future learn that this was our policy and that the conflict could have ended sooner with a bit more effort and equipment.
View All Quotes

This has been my fear too.

I get the concept of boiling the bear, but the question is how many additional Ukrainians will die before the bear taps out.

I wouldn't want to be a member of this administration if the press or historians in the future learn that this was our policy and that the conflict could have ended sooner with a bit more effort and equipment.

Fortunately for them there won't be any press historians to offer criticism.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

So the Russians were telling the truth. The ship will refuel and continue the Ru navy’s normal mission…sitting at the dock rusting away.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Thanks to fervid for bringing this up, I meant to respond but couldn’t find the post.
Here’s what I call “Trumpism.”  And by the way, I think you could call it Obamism with equal accuracy.
Trump and Obama are essentially the same political animal.  They are both political nobodies with no real political agenda on record.  Trump is not a conservative, and Obama is much more a statist than he is a “liberal.”  Both existed to be the focus of adoration of their team, and simultaneously for the hatred of the other team.  Call it the politics of personality over the politics of ideology.  They were there to drive polarization over side/secondary issues so that honest discussion of the primary issues was impossible.  Each, contrary to their stated beliefs, continued to move the political situation further down the road to “non-democracy.”
Both made a big show of petty power plays and incendiary rhetoric, so that “their side” could fantasize about rubbing their cocks in “the enemy’s” face.  This helps to make up for the fact that US citizens are increasingly losing control of our government.  Basically it’s the two-party system’s circus-show cover for the creeping disenfranchisement of the US citizen.
Trump presented himself as an opponent of all that, which is bullshit.  Trump was and is a tool just like Obama was a tool.  Trump isn’t a clown or an idiot, though I forgive people for calling him that.  He’s playing a role and probably is being very well paid.
View All Quotes

My dad was one of the more unpleasant shocks I’ve had.  The subject of Ukraine kinda came up by accident a few months ago.  I expected his attitude to be basically “whatever, not our business.”  Which would be pretty much in keeping with his politics and at least understandable.
Instead, some things that stuck out:  “Zelensky’s an IDIOT.”  “He’s over here BEGGING.”  “Ukraine’s going to be destroyed!”  The most disturbing thing to me is that he sounded almost eager for the last statement to be true.
I was stunned.  He couldn't or wouldn't address why Zelensky was an idiot and was vague about why he believed the rest, except that, essentially, Ukraine had helped Biden/hurt Trump.  I told him that Ukraine wasn’t going to be destroyed and Russia had already taken massive losses and was headed for collapse.  I was pretty angry and figured it wasn’t a good idea to turn it into a long argument.
Where is it coming from?  Based on his history, Trump, and the political “in” that Trumpism gave to our foreign enemies.  Hyper-polarization (probably driven by foreign influencers) has convinced a chunk of Americans that other Americans are their literal enemies, and whoever is the enemy of our domestic political “enemies” is our friend.  My dad’s very intelligent, but IMO has wholeheartedly swallowed Trumpism and the influencers that surround it.  We’ve gotten into it a few times over that previously.  I couldn’t get out of him exactly where he was picking these things up.  I doubt anything will change for him at this point.
My mom and stepdad not nearly so much.  Both have to some degree swallowed Trumpism, and are still, IMO, somewhat ambiguous about Ukraine because of the perception “they helped Biden and hurt Trump.”  But they both remember Russia is the enemy and think the invasion is wrong, and hope Russia is defeated.

This is something I've mulled over for a long while and I have to admit it's probably the most frightening thing of all.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4154 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top