Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4754 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

The reality of the situation is that the US is funneling billions of dollars of unaudited dollars into a country that paid Hunter millions of unaudited dollars.

America has much more pressing concerns. The war in Ukraine could be over this afternoon if they agreed to give up some bits that no Ukranian gives a fuck about. But I guess Nuland's opinion should drive the fate of the region?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

Anyone boiling down the pro-Ukrainian position to supporting 'what is best for Zelensky' is being inherently dishonest and deceitful, which I suppose shouldn't be surprising at this point. Overall, the focus on Zelensky from the right is absurdly moronic, and it (perhaps intentionally) misses the big picture of what is going on here. This conflict boils down to a people resisting blatantly genocidal imperialism from a state that denies they have a right to exist, steals and indoctrinates hundreds of thousands of their children, uses their men from occupied territory as cannon fodder, rapes their women as a matter of policy, uses them as forced labor, runs numerous torture chambers in occupied territory, etc. Zelensky is a temporary executive of the will of the people (in before the inevitable "Zelensky is a dictator who banned all future elections!!!!1!!1!!!1"). Focusing in on him obfuscates the reality of the situation.

The reality of the situation is that the US is funneling billions of dollars of unaudited dollars into a country that paid Hunter millions of unaudited dollars.

America has much more pressing concerns. The war in Ukraine could be over this afternoon if they agreed to give up some bits that no Ukranian gives a fuck about. But I guess Nuland's opinion should drive the fate of the region?

I question your sincerity as this war is happening because you people have told us over and over again that it was a unforgivable crime for Ukrainians to remove the very Regime that was paying Hunter and his Democrat friends the millions of Putinbucks that you are complaining about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Anyone basing their opinion of someone's qualification for being POTUS on 'what is best for Zelensky' is fucked in the head.

View Quote

Certainly there are some single issue voters out there.

Abortion
Healthcare
Crime
Budget
Ukraine
Energy
Second Amendment, etc.

While I wouldn't vote for a candidate based on a single issue if his/her views on other issues important to me don't align with my values, I think it's fair to state here that his view on Ukraine should be a factor in judging his qualifications to become POTUS.

I think his view on Ukraine is naïve and not well thought out. It disregards historical context and conflicts with our military and State Dept. position on Ukraine.

Although Vivek may know how to run a pharmaceutical company, his views on Ukraine and other issues lead me to believe he's just not ready for prime time yet.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello, friends. Today we attended a volunteer event and talked about our work.  Photos will follow.
We also continue to help the military.
In particular, we start collecting tactical individual first aid kits. We are going to work with kamikaze drones and manufacture them.
Another fighter asked for help in repairing and painting his car. We are already making the chassis of the vehicle. We are going to raise money for the painting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
If Viktor Bout gets a role like that the Biden Administration will be very vulnerable to criticism.
View Quote

Which no doubt will make it attractive to Putin. Too bad the Puffers in the GOP have made it very hard to exploit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Fund_GARISSON:
Hello, friends. Today we attended a volunteer event and talked about our work.  Photos will follow.
We also continue to help the military.
In particular, we start collecting tactical individual first aid kits. We are going to work with kamikaze drones and manufacture them.
Another fighter asked for help in repairing and painting his car. We are already making the chassis of the vehicle. We are going to raise money for the painting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/584249/IMG_7778_jpg-2932753.JPG
View Quote

Excellent news and great work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
For your Solovyov minute, a reminder that Roosevelt screwed up by sending aid to the Soviets in WWII.

View Quote

And in the video Solovyov says, "I talked to Scott Ritter yesterday, and I answered his questions".

Confirms what we all have known about Ritter and his sources.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5hvMECcG7o
View Quote

Superb video on the F-16 impact in Ukraine.  He warns it is not a complete analysis but I thought was very balanced. Especially liked the discussion of the HARM missile capabilities with MiG-29 versus F-16.

My questions: has anyone done an analysis of what Ukraine needs to gain decisive advantage within the constraints of what is practical possibility?  It seems we piecemeal aid and then criticize Ukraine for not using the full capabilities. The F-16 was acknowledged as the best solution for aircraft largely based on numbers available. But which versions are reasonably available and could be taken advantage of?  Are US surplus F-16s more modern than the Dutch version?

Second question is concerning quantity than he touched on. Given the limitations of training time and that four jets in a fight are better than one, how many jets does Ukraine need?  He states Russia may have 400 operational fighters that cover all its worldwide ops. Ukraine has more pilots than jets but probably not 400 yet. It seems to me we should identify that quantity goal the would give Ukraine a decisive advantage. 200? 400? 600? We acknowledge this may be a multi-year war. Then we should put together the training and aircraft plan to achieve it in the near term as well as 2-3 years.

We shouldn’t be niggling over one time transfer of 30, 40, 50 jets. We should have a plan for at least 300 operational in 2-3 years including however many jets and pilots are lost in the mean time. Anything less is haphazard and morally shameful given we have the knowledge and the means.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

I’m always impressed how quickly the FPV drone operators can orientate on a fast approach and zero in on a small target. Bravo!
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:
I question your sincerity as this war is happening because you people have told us over and over again that it was a unforgivable crime for Ukrainians to remove the very Regime that was paying Hunter and his Democrat friends the millions of Putinbucks that you are complaining about.
View Quote

No, man, Nuland and the CIA under Obama overthrew the freely elected government of Ukraine against popular wishes, a government that was supporting corruption, payoffs, and bribes. And that's why Russia had to get it on, because they are the world's faithful protectors of democracy and freedom.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Especially the third impact was merciless. A lot of secondary explosions can be seen, too, indicating that ammunition was hit.

Watch until end.

It’s great to see multiple hits on a target. Must be the increased ammo supply and ability to have multiple tubes close enough to fire together.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't heard from Murtz since Girkin was arrested.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By kncook:
Ukraine is factually winning the war.

GD: Since they are winning slowly and not winning quickly then they are losing.
View Quote

It’s almost like so-called “Constitutional Conservatives” have flipped positions with left-wing democrats. They make the same arguments the libtards did 20 years ago, the same hysterical blubbering about supposedly invincible Russian weapons systems, ect.

In GW1 and 2, and the initial invasion of Afghanistan, the libtards went into hysterics every time the advance halted to let logistics catch up, wailing about defeat. I still remember Harry Reid saying we had lost thhe war in Afghanistan like two days before the Northern Alliance and their SPECOPS handlers rolled into Kabul. And the queefing about B-52 strikes during Ramadan….fuck.

I despise them both intensely.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4cVBNJawAAz8ug?format=png&name=900x900
View Quote

I would hope smart Ukranian military people are making the assumption that russians will adapt and improve, and so the Ukrainians are planning to stay 2 steps ahead of the russian improvements.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#18]

It’s almost like so-called “Constitutional Conservatives” have flipped positions with left-wing democrats. They make the same arguments the libtards did 20 years ago, the same hysterical blubbering about supposedly invincible Russian weapons systems, ect.

In GW1 and 2, and the initial invasion of Afghanistan, the libtards went into hysterics every time the advance halted to let logistics catch up, wailing about defeat. I still remember Harry Reid saying we had lost thhe war in Afghanistan like two days before the Northern Alliance and their SPECOPS handlers rolled into Kabul. And the queefing about B-52 strikes during Ramadan….fuck.

View Quote

GW1? So, a republican president. An excuse for people on one team to say "Republicans are bad. Everything they do is bad." Now it is a democrat president. The other team is saying "Democrats are bad. Everything they do is bad."
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Capta:

I disagree.
He’s either
…completely clueless on the situation 18 months in.
…pandering to the what he thinks is the TRUMP demographic of “if Biden supports it, it must be bad!”
…a weak man who has allowed others to determine his moral compass.
None of these make a case for him to be president.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Originally Posted By kpacman:
I don’t follow much of the R churn yet but saw this video exchange and was impressed that the crowd seemed to be cheering strongly for Haley’s points about Putin and Ukraine aid. Feel free to correct my impression if you follow this more than I.

I thought Nikki did a great job exposing Vivek's lack of international knowledge.

Nikki was UN ambassador, so she just ran circles around Vivek, especially regarding the Ukraine issue.

Vivek's proposal is to freeze the lines as they are. Allow Russia to keep the territory they have seized in return for a pledge to cease all hostilities.

This also comes with a promise to Russia that Ukraine WON'T be allowed to join NATO.

WTF?

So Vivek’s policy would be Give Russia everything it wants and hope for the best?

He is either an idiot or compromised to Russia. Glad he got soundly ridiculed.

NO!

Vivek is a businessman just like Trump, it's all about wheeling and dealing and that is what he thinks on how Russia can be treated.

I disagree.
He’s either
…completely clueless on the situation 18 months in.
…pandering to the what he thinks is the TRUMP demographic of “if Biden supports it, it must be bad!”
…a weak man who has allowed others to determine his moral compass.
None of these make a case for him to be president.

VR has been so solid domestically I wonder if some of the horrible takes on his foreign policy like Taiwan and Ukraine are some shortsighted belief of the American people over all.

Taiwan for example reeks of once we won’t be disturbed we don’t care.

With Ukraine I think it’s more pandering.  The economic benefits far outweigh the old heat, munitions and cash we send them.  There are a lot of well paying jobs coming on line to feed the arms race this war kicked off.  The US is one of few countries with reliable proven weapons that can create them in large numbers.

Since they borrowed cash is mostly going to make up the budget shortfall in Ukraine, not much congress here domestically so it won’t add to the domestic inflation.

Then there’s the chance we replace much of Russian energy and food if they collapse.  That’s huge for our economy.

He’s smart enough to know this so probably saying it to pander to this anti war movement in conservatives.  The bitch of it is we can’t go back to a neutral nation without billions of people being enslaved, starved, or killed in various power struggles to fill the vacuum.  The US needs allies and if we dump everyone to focus on the domestic why would counties want to sling with such a wishy washy partner?
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I would hope smart Ukranian military people are making the assumption that russians will adapt and improve, and so the Ukrainians are planning to stay 2 steps ahead of the russian improvements.
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4cVBNJawAAz8ug?format=png&name=900x900

Yes, note that Murts is already saying they are behind on this since Ukrainian forces were using a similar radio system since 2015.  The Russians are trying to play catch up now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I wonder if the usual gang of suspects in GD that gets outraged anytime Ukraine does something they don't like will also give this high exposure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
Putin instructed to use the labor of children to cope with the "staff shortage" in the economy

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered the removal of restrictions on the work of minors in order to cope with a shortage of workers in an economy estimated by authorities to be in the hundreds of thousands.

The government and the Agency for Strategic Initiatives should consider "promoting employment and stimulating employment" of citizens aged 14 and over, according to a list of Putin's instructions published on the Kremlin's website.

Teenagers, according to the idea of   the president, can be attracted to perform "temporary work", and organizations that do this can be given benefits. In addition, the hiring of citizens under the age of 18 should be simplified, according to Putin's instructions.

According to the Gaidar Institute, after the mobilization, the shortage of personnel in Russian factories reached a record since 1996: 42% of enterprises complain about the lack of employees.

According to the Ministry of Industry and Trade, the economy lacks 660,000 workers. The personnel resource has been exhausted "both locally and strategically," Valery Osmakov, deputy head of the department, said in July.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/15294

I wonder if the usual gang of suspects in GD that gets outraged anytime Ukraine does something they don't like will also give this high exposure.

Putting kids to work to fill worker shortages is a desperate measure. They lost at least 260,000 of that 600,000 shortfall in Ukraine. They lost another million to war avoidance overseas.

I think Peter Zeihan is spot on with his analysis that Russia has the worst demographic situation and has no means to escape economic and therefore political collapse. I think Russia will reduce itself to North Korea status. Leaders would rather have an iron grip and retain their kleptocracy over a small impoverished nation than to lose power in a rich and thriving Russia.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Superb video on the F-16 impact in Ukraine.  He warns it is not a complete analysis but I thought was very balanced. Especially liked the discussion of the HARM missile capabilities with MiG-29 versus F-16.

My questions: has anyone done an analysis of what Ukraine needs to gain decisive advantage within the constraints of what is practical possibility?  It seems we piecemeal aid and then criticize Ukraine for not using the full capabilities. The F-16 was acknowledged as the best solution for aircraft largely based on numbers available. But which versions are reasonably available and could be taken advantage of?  Are US surplus F-16s more modern than the Dutch version?

Second question is concerning quantity than he touched on. Given the limitations of training time and that four jets in a fight are better than one, how many jets does Ukraine need?  He states Russia may have 400 operational fighters that cover all its worldwide ops. Ukraine has more pilots than jets but probably not 400 yet. It seems to me we should identify that quantity goal the would give Ukraine a decisive advantage. 200? 400? 600? We acknowledge this may be a multi-year war. Then we should put together the training and aircraft plan to achieve it in the near term as well as 2-3 years.

We shouldn’t be niggling over one time transfer of 30, 40, 50 jets. We should have a plan for at least 300 operational in 2-3 years including however many jets and pilots are lost in the mean time. Anything less is haphazard and morally shameful given we have the knowledge and the means.
View Quote

Leftists don't feel shame.  That's
why they do what they do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Very true. 99% of our domestic problems are intentional. Xiden and gang are actually spending extra money to keep the border wall construction halted. When a State like Texas takes steps to secure the border, DOJ spends money to sue them, get them to STOP securing the border. There are countless examples of this.

It could be a logical argument to argue that the more money we send to Ukraine, the LESS money "we" will have to destroy our country.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

The idea that “we can’t do X in our interests unless I have a list of my domestic grievances addressed” will never, ever end.
Our domestic problems are in our hands to address.  They have nothing to do with whether it is in our interests to aid Ukraine.
As to the trite “not one penny for Ukraine until X” argument…OK.
Did you cash any of the covid aid checks?  Yes?  Then YOU PERSONALLY are contributing to our problems on a couple orders of magnitude greater than the cost of aid to Ukraine.  FIVE trillion dollars all told, IIRC.  Or did you put your checks in the “build the wall to keep them Messicans out!” Fund?

I’m sorry you’ve allowed domestic political hatred to warp your mind.  I’ve seen it in a family member, and it’s sad.

Very true. 99% of our domestic problems are intentional. Xiden and gang are actually spending extra money to keep the border wall construction halted. When a State like Texas takes steps to secure the border, DOJ spends money to sue them, get them to STOP securing the border. There are countless examples of this.

It could be a logical argument to argue that the more money we send to Ukraine, the LESS money "we" will have to destroy our country.

Good point. Do you really want Biden to use those Ukraine aid dollars for more DEI, more illegal crossing assistance, more DOJ prosecutions, more Education meddling, more Covid lock downs?

He isn’t going to use them for more border walls, more aid to an electorally insignificant state’s “kitchen fire,” or to save puppies.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#24]

It would be hilarious if someone posted that tidbit in GD without providing the source and just changed Russia to Ukraine and Putin to Zelensky.

ETA: It would probably be considered trolling, so I don't suggest anyone actually do that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:
The sophist job is to promote and inflate selected news. So no this won't be hyped by them, mostly because the successful talking points can't be tied in with the story. Now if someone was to copy paste the story but change the Russian stuff to Ukraine you would see the normal flood of talking points and the continued use of playing victim that is very prevalent right now.

It would be hilarious if someone posted that tidbit in GD without providing the source and just changed Russia to Ukraine and Putin to Zelensky.

ETA: It would probably be considered trolling, so I don't suggest anyone actually do that.

“If you fight the trolls long enough, you become one.” -Someone probably
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By yekimak:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/26/how-uk-military-chief-became-key-nato-liaison-in-ukraine-tony-radakin

Exerpt:

Eleven days ago, some of the most senior soldiers in the Nato alliance travelled to a secret location on the Polish-Ukrainian border to meet Ukraine's chief military commander, Gen Valerii Zaluzhnyi, for what was privately billed as "a council of war".

Interesting read and it hints at the reasoning behind the push in the south.
View Quote
Interesting read , thanks for posting that
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By elcope:
View Quote
lol at the shirts
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Anyone boiling down the pro-Ukrainian position to supporting 'what is best for Zelensky' is being inherently dishonest and deceitful, which I suppose shouldn't be surprising at this point. Overall, the focus on Zelensky from the right is absurdly moronic, and it (perhaps intentionally) misses the big picture of what is going on here. This conflict boils down to a people resisting blatantly genocidal imperialism from a state that denies they have a right to exist, steals and indoctrinates hundreds of thousands of their children, uses their men from occupied territory as cannon fodder, rapes their women as a matter of policy, uses them as forced labor, runs numerous torture chambers in occupied territory, etc. Zelensky is a temporary executive of the will of the people (in before the inevitable "Zelensky is a dictator who banned all future elections!!!!1!!1!!!1"). Focusing in on him obfuscates the reality of the situation.

When someone begins their statement with an easily verifiable false statement “discussions” with them seem quite futile.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Good point. Do you really want Biden to use those Ukraine aid dollars for more DEI, more illegal crossing assistance, more DOJ prosecutions, more Education meddling, more Covid lock downs?

He isn’t going to use them for more border walls, more aid to an electorally insignificant state’s “kitchen fire,” or to save puppies.
View Quote

That is a fantastic argument that everybody should remember. If the person is already saying that biden is a corrupt liar and everything he does is against what we want, then he certainly won't spend money on securing the border if that money is removed from Ukraine.
Pick one or the other, there realistically is no other choice. Ukraine, or all the other stuff. Make your choice, which do they want?

I'm aware this is all silly shit dealing with silly people. But still.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
lol at the shirts
View Quote

I don't know what it is but Ukranian soldiers seem to have a great attitude.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]

GW1? So, a republican president. An excuse for people on one team to say "Republicans are bad. Everything they do is bad." Now it is a democrat president. The other team is saying "Democrats are bad. Everything they do is bad."
View All Quotes

I’ve said it before, but if Trump had been re-elected and did at least what Biden has done in Ukraine, 95% of the “Fuck Ukraine” bros would be all in for Ukraine and the remaining 5% that really did want to suck off Putin would have been run out of here on a rail.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#31]

When someone begins their statement with an easily verifiable false statement “discussions” with them seem quite futile.
View All Quotes

There is no reaching a puffer. Just pointing out how stupid those people’s arguments are.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
lol at the shirts
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elcope:
lol at the shirts

LOL Hahahahahahahaha

Oh man.... Does that ever take me back.... Malodets !!! Cto PpoceHt
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I found this article on one of the guys I met that recently was KIA. I had been searching for news of his passing, and happened to see a few articles today. Andrew was a pretty cool guy, and was with Irish and some others I know when this happened. I asked Irish to come here and share more details if he can.  

He had a pretty intense story of them pushing into the line and having to fight their way out when it went sideways. They took a lot of casualties, and lost these two guys. It's scary how quickly people are being lost once they get to the front.

"Andrew Irvin Webber, a former Army officer, and Lance Lawrence, a former machine gunner in the Marine Corps, died during a military operation in eastern Ukraine on July 29. The State Department on Friday confirmed the deaths of two unnamed American citizens in Ukraine that day."

Attachment Attached File

https://www.stripes.com/veterans/2023-08-04/american-veterans-killed-ukraine-russia-10945757.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Might be a fireworks factory, or ammo.

20 minutes ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4dfiZyXsAADuOe?format=png&name=small

Fireworks lol.

View Quote

I’m going with “neither of those is a fireworks factory!”  
Looks like shitloads of small arms and autocannon ammo to me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#35]

I’ve said it before, but if Trump had been re-elected and did at least what Biden has done in Ukraine, 95% of the “Fuck Ukraine” bros would be all in for Ukraine and the remaining 5% that really did want to suck off Putin would have been run out of here on a rail.
View Quote

Not to derail too much, but Peter Zeihan frequently points out that with many of the policies that trump enacted with china and other stuff, biden has kept/strengthened/expanded those Trump policies all while talking shit about trump. It's largely Trump 2.0. Yet the teams immediately flip. I don't hear many members of team republican gushing over biden being incredibly hostile to china.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#36]

TL;DR Shit goes bad when you attack your former rocket scientists.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
💭Butusov: The Russian S-400 air defense system in Crimea was destroyed with the help of a modified R-360 Neptune cruise missile.

The most important part of the S-400 complex — the "Podlet K1" radar, which provided control of the air situation over the western part of the Black Sea and over the territory of the Kherson region — was also destroyed with the help of anti-aircraft missiles.

https://t.me/killpukin/16657

S-400 launcher in Crimea destroyed by new Ukrainian missile - Danilov

On the air of Ukrainian Radio, the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council did not answer the question of whether this is the latest development or modification, but stressed that this is a project of Ukroboronprom as part of a program launched in 2020.

💬 "The rocket was new. The rocket was absolutely modern. Yes, this is our new product, which proved to be absolutely flawless," said Danilov.

https://t.me/uniannet/109339

TL;DR Shit goes bad when you attack your former rocket scientists.

Ukraine's greatest revenge might be if they send a rover to the south pole of the Moon in a few years and stick a perfect landing on the first try!
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
lol at the shirts

“They have to as all the evil Americans behind them off camera are forcing fake smiles as they die for the Bidens.”
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:21:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#38]

I'm pretty sure dean baker said he "got out over his skis." Meaning that he either said it or suggested it, when he shouldn't have said it and didn't have the authority to say it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thanosnap:
Did Secretary of State Dean Baker promise Gorbachev NATO would move not one inch East in the 90s?

According to Mary Sarotte, Johns Hopkins history Professor for the "Henry A. Kissinger Center for Global Affairs", no he did not.
https://mershoncenter.osu.edu/sites/default/files/styles/news_and_events_image/public/2021-09/sarotte_web.jpg?h=252f27fa&itok=NxPPae84

She spent 3 years studying it, went to the Presidential Libraries and went to court getting all kinds of transcripts and documents declassified under the freedom of information act, then she wrote a 2021 book on it titled "Not One Inch."

Here she is speaking with the Ukrainians about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0K9PofCw

What she says is during talks to reunite East Germany with West Germany, Baker proposed not moving NATO one inch east to USSR Soviet Premier Gorbachev as a hypothetical... there was no agreement it was just part of negotiations. The NATO/Warsaw Pact map at the time looked like this:
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107062153-1652780996560-Warsaw_pact_012.png?v=1652840367&ffmt=webp&vtcrop=y

and we weren't expecting USSR collapse so the only place NATO could move East into was East Germany (maybe Austria). When Baker got home he told his boss Bush Sr he proposed this and Bush said no, NATO is a good thing and it provides security for the Europeans, they're not even asking for or demanding it, and we plan on expanding it. And Bush made it clear several times since then that NATO would expand. So Baker called the allies and said NATO will be expanding. How long it took the Soviets to get the message is questionable but the final deal, which the Soviets signed, expanded NATO into East Germany. Apparently we bribed the Soviets with German money to get the deal done.

Then in 1997 the US, Russia and others signed the NATO-Russia Founding Act which said Russia does not have a veto on new countries joining NATO. Afterwards Gorbachev (who no longer had a job after the USSR collapse) said you promised me you wouldn't expand! The US State Dept called the Russian Foreign Minister and said what the hell we never promised him that! And he said sorry, Gorbachev drinks, we cannot control him.

I'm pretty sure dean baker said he "got out over his skis." Meaning that he either said it or suggested it, when he shouldn't have said it and didn't have the authority to say it.

Plus, his promise was to the Soviet Union.  It would be sort of like if our local railroad refused to do business today with the Florida East Coast Railroad due to a "non-compete" handshake agreement they had with the Penn Central in 1970!
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Truckload of Russians hit with fpv, attempt to shoot at drone.

https://twitter.com/bigSAC10/status/1695403749504598450
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

What is MICE?  What is MCE?  I don't understand your point at all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:
Originally Posted By sierra-def:
Another Russian agent near Bakhmut. Life in prison likely. I think former residents of Bakhmut and gold star families out to get first crack at her.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_3200-2931639.jpg

The perpetrator turned out to be a teacher from one of the lyceums in Kramatorsk, who worked for the main directorate of the general staff of the armed forces of the russion federation.

The court chose a preventive measure for her in the form of detention. The investigation is ongoing. The perpetrator faces life imprisonment.

Even their teachers are or act traitorous?

Sadly there have been plenty of Russian collaborators in the UA military, politics, and general population. Security services are scooping them up but a lot to sift through while also waging a war of survival and trying hard to demonstrate to EU that they obey the rule of law and don’t perform summary executions on the spot.

MICE.
It doesn’t all have to be ideology.  Throw some money at someone who feels hard done by, and you have MCE right there.

What is MICE?  What is MCE?  I don't understand your point at all.

Acronym for the four points of leverage which an intel agency uses to recruit assets in a country.
Money - just like it sounds, cash or financial inducements
Ideology - political beliefs for the external power or against the internal power.
Compromise(or coercion) obtaining and threatening to expose damaging information on an asset.  Once the agency has set the hook in any of the other areas, they automatically have compromising information.
Ego - usually involves perceptions of being unfairly treated or passed over.
Most recruitments involve elements of three or four but some don’t.  For example, some famous cold war traitors were almost entirely Ideologically motivated - domestic true believers in communism.  Of course compromise was also a factor if they ever changed their mind.
Others were a lot more banal, people who had info and wanted a better lifestyle than their paychecks could support.
MCE would simply be a non-ideologically based recruitment, which is easy to see in the situation mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

What does this do? The first shot will shake everything all over the place.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I'd like to see how well that stays on when the gun fires
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4754 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top