Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4755 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stone-age:

What does this do? The first shot will shake everything all over the place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

I'm just as curious about that as you are.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:42:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jDrexler] [#2]

View All Quotes

It’s not a sighting system for shooting. It’s just using the gun as a stable and pointable platform.

I’m assuming the reason for the phone is that it’s less fatiguing to look at the screen than keep your eyes buried in the nocs. Plus it’ll let you keep looking even if you need to get real low. On top of that, as the tweet mentioned, recording.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By kncook:
Ukraine is factually winning the war.

GD: Since they are winning slowly and not winning quickly then they are losing.
View Quote

Probably an unfortunate trait in American society in general, at least among the younger generations. We want "it" and we fucking want it NOW! At the push of a button. So anything less is failure.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]

“They have to as all the evil Americans behind them off camera are forcing fake smiles as they die for the Bidens.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#5]
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

It’s not a sighting system for shooting. It’s just using the gun as a stable and pointable platform.

I’m assuming the reason for the phone is that it’s less fatiguing to look at the screen than keep your eyes buried in the nocs. Plus it’ll let you keep looking even if you need to get real low.
View Quote

Ok, that totally makes sense. I've done similar stuff for similar reasons. Just not with an actual rifle in the holder. I was thinking it was for aiming. Or an ATTEMPT at using it for aiming.

And I guess they probably already have the gun aimed at exactly the right place. So in theory, if they see something in the spotting scope set up, they can just pull the trigger. But their phone might get banged up, maybe worth it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By thanosnap:

Timothy Snyder, another Yale history professor, talked about this for PBS Frontline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um-SEQDQidM

At 5:07 "Well, one thing that one has to understand is that the Russians are systematically wrong about how much attention Americans pay to Russia. The Russians think about America all the time. Americans only think about Russia when they have to. And that is not a reality which Russian leaders can afford to recognize or talk about because their power or their ideology of power rests on the idea that there are great powers in the world: Russia, America, China. Russia’s one of these great powers.

And so the basic reality that Americans actually don’t really like to think about Russia, they don’t think about Russia that much, would be something which is absolutely unacceptable. But that’s a fundamental difference in worldview. Russian leaders are thinking nothing about domestic politics, are thinking about foreign policy all the time, and foreign policy as a kind of duel of great powers.

American presidents, American public opinion, the American columnists, they’re not thinking that way. We only react to Russia when we absolutely have to. I mean, we reacted very, very late and very, very weak to the Russian intervention in the American election in 2016. When Mitt Romney said, when he was campaigning against Barack Obama, that Russia was a serious threat, everyone laughed at him except the Russians, who kind of liked to think that they were a serious threat. When Obama says that Russia doesn’t matter because it’s only a regional economy and so on, he’s saying something which to the Russians is absolutely incomprehensible; they think of themselves as a great power, and they want to prove that they’re a great power.

So the biggest difference is that Russians really like to think about America because American enmity, the idea that America’s trying to hurt Russia, gives Russia a sense of meaning, whereas Americans absolutely do not need Russia for their sense of themselves. That’s the basic difference." -Snyder

And factually speaking, before this all happened the foreign policy always has been to pull out of the Middle East and "Pivot to Asia.":
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-american-pivot-to-asia/
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/06/1043329242/long-promised-and-often-delayed-the-pivot-to-asia-takes-shape-under-biden
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-biden-business-china-d47d4b2215de708b55a12bc4b648818d
The Russians kind of forced this problem onto us and our European allies. And many argue that Russia is unimportant and we're wasting way too many resources here when we should be focusing on Asia. Russia is not a peer (except for nukes) and China is in many ways. But we can't let Russia keep expanding their borders into Europe either.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

It is a strange theory that the USA is the driving force behind this war. I see and hear it among Russian propaganda.

Timothy Snyder, another Yale history professor, talked about this for PBS Frontline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um-SEQDQidM

At 5:07 "Well, one thing that one has to understand is that the Russians are systematically wrong about how much attention Americans pay to Russia. The Russians think about America all the time. Americans only think about Russia when they have to. And that is not a reality which Russian leaders can afford to recognize or talk about because their power or their ideology of power rests on the idea that there are great powers in the world: Russia, America, China. Russia’s one of these great powers.

And so the basic reality that Americans actually don’t really like to think about Russia, they don’t think about Russia that much, would be something which is absolutely unacceptable. But that’s a fundamental difference in worldview. Russian leaders are thinking nothing about domestic politics, are thinking about foreign policy all the time, and foreign policy as a kind of duel of great powers.

American presidents, American public opinion, the American columnists, they’re not thinking that way. We only react to Russia when we absolutely have to. I mean, we reacted very, very late and very, very weak to the Russian intervention in the American election in 2016. When Mitt Romney said, when he was campaigning against Barack Obama, that Russia was a serious threat, everyone laughed at him except the Russians, who kind of liked to think that they were a serious threat. When Obama says that Russia doesn’t matter because it’s only a regional economy and so on, he’s saying something which to the Russians is absolutely incomprehensible; they think of themselves as a great power, and they want to prove that they’re a great power.

So the biggest difference is that Russians really like to think about America because American enmity, the idea that America’s trying to hurt Russia, gives Russia a sense of meaning, whereas Americans absolutely do not need Russia for their sense of themselves. That’s the basic difference." -Snyder

And factually speaking, before this all happened the foreign policy always has been to pull out of the Middle East and "Pivot to Asia.":
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-american-pivot-to-asia/
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/06/1043329242/long-promised-and-often-delayed-the-pivot-to-asia-takes-shape-under-biden
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-biden-business-china-d47d4b2215de708b55a12bc4b648818d
The Russians kind of forced this problem onto us and our European allies. And many argue that Russia is unimportant and we're wasting way too many resources here when we should be focusing on Asia. Russia is not a peer (except for nukes) and China is in many ways. But we can't let Russia keep expanding their borders into Europe either.

Thanks for the post.  Snyder is a good source for political thought, even though I don’t agree with all his positions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Anybody who knows anything about Russia will tell you it cannot be exaggerated how important being a "great power" is to their national identity. They're the "saviors of Europe" who beat Hitler and Napoleon, not the ones who got smoked by the Japanese in 1905 or were losing badly on their front in WWI or lost 10 million troops in WWII. So now they've got the economy of Italy and a military about as powerful as India only they have more nukes, and they're still talking about "spheres of influence" and trying to stomp around in them. And Germany's Merkel, even with her appeasement strategy, says she always knew Putin wanted to destroy Europe.
View Quote

At least a trailer park (in the trailer park with nukes analogy) knows they are a trailer park. Russia is a trailer park that thinks it's Beverly Hills.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

The amount of ingenuity from these guys is something we used to see in ww2 by our guys.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]

More likely Gorbachev was a drunk who misunderstood Baker. East and West Germany was going to reunite regardless, and if the Soviets really required this as a condition they would've wanted it in writing. It made no sense to have West Germany NATO and East Germany not NATO after unification.
View Quote

iirc EVERYONE including France etc were worried about a reunified Germany. Looking at Germany now, full of pacifists, communists, and Syrians, makes me laugh at the worries.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]

At least a trailer park (in the trailer park with nukes analogy) knows they are a trailer park. Russia is a trailer park that thinks it's Beverly Hills.
View Quote

Russia was the owner of this trailer park and they dominated and victimized all other trailer parks in all directions. They were the rulers in their sphere of influence. Respected, feared, or admired. Now they are  just some average trailer trash and people are sometimes actually laughing at them. They want their kingdom back at almost any cost.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Anybody who knows anything about Russia will tell you it cannot be exaggerated how important being a "great power" is to their national identity. They're the "saviors of Europe" who beat Hitler and Napoleon, not the ones who got smoked by the Japanese in 1905 or were losing badly on their front in WWI or lost 10 million troops in WWII. So now they've got the economy of Italy and a military about as powerful as India only they have more nukes, and they're still talking about "spheres of influence" and trying to stomp around in them. And Germany's Merkel, even with her appeasement strategy, says she always knew Putin wanted to destroy Europe.
View Quote

In their text books they learn from in their schools they lie about all this stuff. Every year the same lies are repeated and reinforced about how great and independent and strong russia is. They straight up lie to the students. Repeatedly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Assuming this is true, Ukraine should try to get them to surrender……offer those with knowledge immunity for testimony on what they were ordered to do and how it was done. As opposed to merely doing Putin’s dirty work for him by killing them, even though they deserve no quarter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
I totally missed the significance of the unit number (205th) that was abandon on the islands in the Dniper near Kherson. Justice served, bitches!  And perhaps being the focus of war crimes Putin is OK with them being eliminated. Everyone but the tsar is a patsy-in-waiting.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_3209-2932345.jpg

This isn’t the fierce, seasoned leadership they had hoped to nurture; it’s an unstable structure waiting to crumble.

These new wave commanders, blinded by greed, are diverting humanitarian aid for personal gain. They’re sending ill-prepared soldiers into the field, deprived of ammunition and cover. It’s not the strategic error of novices; it’s sheer recklessness.

The enemy’s morale is plummeting. After the incident with Prigozhin and the actions of Wagner’s group, there’s a sense of dread permeating their ranks. The March for Justice may have provided them temporary respite, but our intelligence indicates that fear runs deep now. They’re on a precipice, and any further push could lead to their implosion.

Stay sharp. Their desperation might make them unpredictable, but their fear gives us the upper hand. The game is in our favor. Let’s play it to win

They have recorded a desperate message to their commanders, threatening them
with literal reprisals.
🪖Shouting won't help you. Due to your extremely inspiring despair, I will outline your thoughts and capture them for generations to come. As your blood sinks and dissolves in the water that will become your grave.

Assuming this is true, Ukraine should try to get them to surrender……offer those with knowledge immunity for testimony on what they were ordered to do and how it was done. As opposed to merely doing Putin’s dirty work for him by killing them, even though they deserve no quarter.

Regarding the 205th being hung out to dry, there was information from much earlier in the war that (allegedly) some of the units from Bucha were intentionally “used up” so there would be no one left to answer questions about those incidents.  That probably can’t be confirmed until long after the war.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Nice shot with that treeburst. Those guys are dead.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Russian Su-25 Shot Down Near Robotyne
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]

I’m always impressed how quickly the FPV drone operators can orientate on a fast approach and zero in on a small target. Bravo!
View All Quotes

I’m always impressed how quickly the FPV drone operators can orientate on a fast approach and zero in on a small target. Bravo!

There are a few videos that show a spotter drone operator standing next to and visually coaching the kamikaze operator onto the target.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Ukraine War Upd. EXTRA (20230826): Missile Cost vs Range, On Helping Ukr, & Ukr Success Criteria
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Driver got out wounded and passenger got out charcoal.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Easterner:
I found this article on one of the guys I met that recently was KIA. I had been searching for news of his passing, and happened to see a few articles today. Andrew was a pretty cool guy, and was with Irish and some others I know when this happened. I asked Irish to come here and share more details if he can.  

He had a pretty intense story of them pushing into the line and having to fight their way out when it went sideways. They took a lot of casualties, and lost these two guys. It's scary how quickly people are being lost once they get to the front.

"Andrew Irvin Webber, a former Army officer, and Lance Lawrence, a former machine gunner in the Marine Corps, died during a military operation in eastern Ukraine on July 29. The State Department on Friday confirmed the deaths of two unnamed American citizens in Ukraine that day."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/veteransukraine_jpg-2932887.JPG

https://www.stripes.com/veterans/2023-08-04/american-veterans-killed-ukraine-russia-10945757.html
View Quote

God Bless and keep both of them, and their families.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Regarding the bulge down south that Ukraine has pushed into the Orc lines-  what is the typical military protocol for the shape of a bulge like this?  For example, "if it is 5 miles deep it needs to be 10 miles wide."

Reason I ask is it is starting to look like the bulge is narrow for its depth to me, and I am wondering if that holds some danger for Ukraine.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Probably an unfortunate trait in American society in general, at least among the younger generations. We want "it" and we fucking want it NOW! At the push of a button. So anything less is failure.
View All Quotes
Ukraine is factually winning the war.

GD: Since they are winning slowly and not winning quickly then they are losing.

The worst offenders are long time users. Definitely not generation Z.

And a few of them always gave me some "russian" vibes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Auto5guy] [#23]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

Regarding the bulge down south that Ukraine has pushed into the Orc lines-  what is the typical military protocol for the shape of a bulge like this?  For example, "if it is 5 miles deep it needs to be 10 miles wide."

Reason I ask is it is starting to look like the bulge is narrow for its depth to me, and I am wondering if that holds some danger for Ukraine.

View Quote

I'm sure it depends on factors like the terrain and the mobility of the enemy rather than a hard fixed ratio.

Edited to add: The deeper the thrust goes the more the enemy has to worry it could turn into an encirclement on either side of the thrust. They can't just counter towards the narrowest point without considering that.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]

I’ve said it before, but if Trump had been re-elected and did at least what Biden has done in Ukraine, 95% of the “Fuck Ukraine” bros would be all in for Ukraine and the remaining 5% that really did want to suck off Putin would have been run out of here on a rail.
View Quote

Probably true. I think many blame Trump's fall on Ukraine. They are generally ignorant people similar to single issue voters. "If some group or element in Ukraine was used against Trump, then fuck the whole country forever and ever".  It would be my personal wet dream if Trump gets re-elected and doubles the aid to Ukraine! *please lets not derail the thread with opinions about how likely or unlikely this scenario would be.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I found this article on one of the guys I met that recently was KIA. I had been searching for news of his passing, and happened to see a few articles today. Andrew was a pretty cool guy, and was with Irish and some others I know when this happened. I asked Irish to come here and share more details if he can.  

He had a pretty intense story of them pushing into the line and having to fight their way out when it went sideways. They took a lot of casualties, and lost these two guys. It's scary how quickly people are being lost once they get to the front.

"Andrew Irvin Webber, a former Army officer, and Lance Lawrence, a former machine gunner in the Marine Corps, died during a military operation in eastern Ukraine on July 29. The State Department on Friday confirmed the deaths of two unnamed American citizens in Ukraine that day."

https://www.stripes.com/veterans/2023-08-04/american-veterans-killed-ukraine-russia-10945757.html
View Quote

You are lucky to be among such hero's fighting the good fight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Heads up, possible cruise missiles.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

And on Combat Casual Fridays, we get to wear our Hawaiian shirts!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Originally Posted By elcope:

And on Combat Casual Fridays, we get to wear our Hawaiian shirts!!

That's really funny for me because I wear Hawaiian shirts on Friday at work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Video of Mig-29 pilot  Juice's piano burning ceremony.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

And the quarterback is toast.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#33]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4fDdtMWAAAFph7?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

I thought the s400 was pretty good stuff ? Any clue how it got through?
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

I'll feel lucky when I can take my girl to the sea for a relaxing vacation on the beach. She is being very patient with my absence and understands it's needed for our future here. She asked if I'll be nervous at the front. I don't really know how to answer that. In the past week they hit the swimming pool within 1/2 kilometer of the apartment when I was away, and Thursday morning I listened to the bus station get hit down the road from here. There's something about a cruise missile that just makes you feel helpless. At least I think I'd feel more in control fighting. For now I have a bit more time as an instructor before I can truly be with the guys you describe. Lots of knowledge to absorb in the time being.

I see these posts and it's hard to sleep. Waking up to the explosions is very unsettling. "BREAKING 6 russian TU-95ms bombers took off."

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1695538021578178853?s=20

My few days off ends tomorrow. I am traveling light so that's good news. I picked up some mag pouches I had at home for the recruits and some other odds and ends. It's hard to say goodbye to the comforts of home, but we have a new group to zero rifles with and qualify this week. Looking forward to the grenade range and some time with RPKs and PKMs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
For your Solovyov minute, a reminder that Roosevelt screwed up by sending aid to the Soviets in WWII.

View Quote

And we screwed up sending humanitarian aid in the 20s. We have helped the Soviets/Russia for decades as they brutalize and murder millions. We need to stop doing that and help put the rabid dog in a NK style box and seal it shut.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4fDdtMWAAAFph7?format=jpg&name=medium

It is not as good as it was sold as ... or too much Vodka ...

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

Certainly there are some single issue voters out there.

Abortion
Healthcare
Crime
Budget
Ukraine
Energy
Second Amendment, etc.

While I wouldn't vote for a candidate based on a single issue if his/her views on other issues important to me don't align with my values, I think it's fair to state here that his view on Ukraine should be a factor in judging his qualifications to become POTUS.

I think his view on Ukraine is naïve and not well thought out. It disregards historical context and conflicts with our military and State Dept. position on Ukraine.

Although Vivek may know how to run a pharmaceutical company, his views on Ukraine and other issues lead me to believe he's just not ready for prime time yet.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

Anyone basing their opinion of someone's qualification for being POTUS on 'what is best for Zelensky' is fucked in the head.

Certainly there are some single issue voters out there.

Abortion
Healthcare
Crime
Budget
Ukraine
Energy
Second Amendment, etc.

While I wouldn't vote for a candidate based on a single issue if his/her views on other issues important to me don't align with my values, I think it's fair to state here that his view on Ukraine should be a factor in judging his qualifications to become POTUS.

I think his view on Ukraine is naïve and not well thought out. It disregards historical context and conflicts with our military and State Dept. position on Ukraine.

Although Vivek may know how to run a pharmaceutical company, his views on Ukraine and other issues lead me to believe he's just not ready for prime time yet.

And the concern is not just Ukraine but it says about his view of Russian imperialism and naked aggression and millions suffering from war crimes. If a candidate does not take Russia seriously than how can they possibly aspire to the most powerful office in the world?
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bartholomew_Roberts] [#38]

View Quote

It's more narrow than I think anyone would care for.  However, that's probably mitigated by two things:

1) The perceived lack of Russian reserves available to counterattack.
2) The likelihood that part of the narrow aspect is caused by the depth of the Russian's own minefields, which are now effectively protecting the flanks of Ukraine's penetration.

Still a super attractive target for Russian artillery (if it can get in range and survive counterstrikes) or more likely Russian CAS. Flipside, is it's narrow enough you can make that dangerous for both options.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#39]

The video in your link was removed.  I think I found it on a different site.

https://www.febspot.com/1250208
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:02:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#40]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

It's more narrow than I think anyone would care for.  However, that's probably mitigated by two things:

1) The perceived lack of Russian reserves available to counterattack.
2) The likelihood that part of the narrow aspect is caused by the depth of the Russian's own minefields, which are now effectively protecting the flanks of Ukraine's penetration.

Still a super attractive target for Russian artillery (if it can get in range and survive counterstrikes) or more likely Russian CAS.
View Quote

That's interesting, the idea that the minefields flip and advantage the breachers flanks. Is there any historical example from any major war of the value of a minefield flipping sides like this?

I guess Russian artillery still has a kill zone to target there. If they do mount a counter attack they can hammer the supply lines and the options for retreat with artillery.

But that's interesting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
lol at the shirts
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
Originally Posted By elcope:
lol at the shirts

There could be a market for Hawaiian camo using normal camo colors but using Hawaiian patterns. 3D or digital. Sort of like Hawaii, Marpat and Mossy Oak had a drunken weekend together.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#42]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4e5eINW8AA8Vzz?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

They need to push on the flanks to make sure an envelopment doesn't happen.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Plus, his promise was to the Soviet Union.  It would be sort of like if our local railroad refused to do business today with the Florida East Coast Railroad due to a "non-compete" handshake agreement they had with the Penn Central in 1970!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
Did Secretary of State Dean Baker promise Gorbachev NATO would move not one inch East in the 90s?

According to Mary Sarotte, Johns Hopkins history Professor for the "Henry A. Kissinger Center for Global Affairs", no he did not.
https://mershoncenter.osu.edu/sites/default/files/styles/news_and_events_image/public/2021-09/sarotte_web.jpg?h=252f27fa&itok=NxPPae84

She spent 3 years studying it, went to the Presidential Libraries and went to court getting all kinds of transcripts and documents declassified under the freedom of information act, then she wrote a 2021 book on it titled "Not One Inch."

Here she is speaking with the Ukrainians about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0K9PofCw

What she says is during talks to reunite East Germany with West Germany, Baker proposed not moving NATO one inch east to USSR Soviet Premier Gorbachev as a hypothetical... there was no agreement it was just part of negotiations. The NATO/Warsaw Pact map at the time looked like this:
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107062153-1652780996560-Warsaw_pact_012.png?v=1652840367&ffmt=webp&vtcrop=y

and we weren't expecting USSR collapse so the only place NATO could move East into was East Germany (maybe Austria). When Baker got home he told his boss Bush Sr he proposed this and Bush said no, NATO is a good thing and it provides security for the Europeans, they're not even asking for or demanding it, and we plan on expanding it. And Bush made it clear several times since then that NATO would expand. So Baker called the allies and said NATO will be expanding. How long it took the Soviets to get the message is questionable but the final deal, which the Soviets signed, expanded NATO into East Germany. Apparently we bribed the Soviets with German money to get the deal done.

Then in 1997 the US, Russia and others signed the NATO-Russia Founding Act which said Russia does not have a veto on new countries joining NATO. Afterwards Gorbachev (who no longer had a job after the USSR collapse) said you promised me you wouldn't expand! The US State Dept called the Russian Foreign Minister and said what the hell we never promised him that! And he said sorry, Gorbachev drinks, we cannot control him.

I'm pretty sure dean baker said he "got out over his skis." Meaning that he either said it or suggested it, when he shouldn't have said it and didn't have the authority to say it.

Plus, his promise was to the Soviet Union.  It would be sort of like if our local railroad refused to do business today with the Florida East Coast Railroad due to a "non-compete" handshake agreement they had with the Penn Central in 1970!

It was a huge mistake for the west to automatically confer all the Soviet diplomatic status to Russia. And of course to transfer any weapons from former vassal states to them. Should have blank slated and work up to what their much reduced size and economy warranted.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Putting kids to work to fill worker shortages is a desperate measure. They lost at least 260,000 of that 600,000 shortfall in Ukraine. They lost another million to war avoidance overseas.

I think Peter Zeihan is spot on with his analysis that Russia has the worst demographic situation and has no means to escape economic and therefore political collapse. I think Russia will reduce itself to North Korea status. Leaders would rather have an iron grip and retain their kleptocracy over a small impoverished nation than to lose power in a rich and thriving Russia.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Originally Posted By Prime:
Putin instructed to use the labor of children to cope with the "staff shortage" in the economy

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered the removal of restrictions on the work of minors in order to cope with a shortage of workers in an economy estimated by authorities to be in the hundreds of thousands.

The government and the Agency for Strategic Initiatives should consider "promoting employment and stimulating employment" of citizens aged 14 and over, according to a list of Putin's instructions published on the Kremlin's website.

Teenagers, according to the idea of   the president, can be attracted to perform "temporary work", and organizations that do this can be given benefits. In addition, the hiring of citizens under the age of 18 should be simplified, according to Putin's instructions.

According to the Gaidar Institute, after the mobilization, the shortage of personnel in Russian factories reached a record since 1996: 42% of enterprises complain about the lack of employees.

According to the Ministry of Industry and Trade, the economy lacks 660,000 workers. The personnel resource has been exhausted "both locally and strategically," Valery Osmakov, deputy head of the department, said in July.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/15294

I wonder if the usual gang of suspects in GD that gets outraged anytime Ukraine does something they don't like will also give this high exposure.

Putting kids to work to fill worker shortages is a desperate measure. They lost at least 260,000 of that 600,000 shortfall in Ukraine. They lost another million to war avoidance overseas.

I think Peter Zeihan is spot on with his analysis that Russia has the worst demographic situation and has no means to escape economic and therefore political collapse. I think Russia will reduce itself to North Korea status. Leaders would rather have an iron grip and retain their kleptocracy over a small impoverished nation than to lose power in a rich and thriving Russia.

North Korea survives because no one gives a fuck about them and they have nothing anyone wants.  It’s the lunatic shrieking on his 6-foot tall mound of shit.
Russia has stuff others want and has strong internal tensions already, which will only get worse.  The locals will see that Russian central power has fucked them and is no longer in their interests.
The next war to hold onto the Russian periphery will probably finish them as even a regional power.
Russia may end up as North Korea but it will be as a rump state.  Not hard to see them lose everything east of the Urals.  After that, who knows.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bartholomew_Roberts] [#45]

It was a huge mistake for the west to automatically confer all the Soviet diplomatic status to Russia. And of course to transfer any weapons from former vassal states to them. Should have blank slated and work up to what their much reduced size and economy warranted.
View Quote

As someone who was there on the ground at that time, it was a plenty challenging task without dealing with each of the Soviet republics as a sovereign nation.  Sometimes, you do what you gotta do to get through the day and mistakes are tomorrow guy's problem.  But there's a tomorrow where tomorrow guy gets to work on it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Capta:

There are a few videos that show a spotter drone operator standing next to and visually coaching the kamikaze operator onto the target.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

That’s cool!  Nice team work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Nice.  Shit will get real with those.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#48]

As someone who was there on the ground at that time, it was a plenty challenging task without dealing with each of the Soviet republics as a sovereign nation.  Sometimes, you do what you gotta do to get through the day and mistakes are tomorrow guy's problem.  But there's a tomorrow where tomorrow guy gets to work on it.
View All Quotes

And that’s where our short national attention span bites us: lack of follow-up to strategic concerns. And our penchant for flipping parties/policies frequently.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#50]

The big fat “Z” patch really made the video.  Bet it’s a nice souvenir right now.

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4755 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top