Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4841 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

I remember reading and discussing this article a few years ago. A US company nobody ever heard of owned by Ukrainian(s?) was chosen by Ukrainian government to design and manufacture an AR variant chambered in 7.62X39 that can be easily bought complete or assembled from COTS. Seems quite plausible in a country where government corruption isn't exactly uncommon.

BTW I don't think these rifles ever
materialized but it wouldn't surprise me if substantial $ have been spent on this project.

View Quote

Zbroyar, going off memory
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Why do you use the Russian way of spelling for Kyiv?
View Quote

Because in America, we eat Chicken Kiev and it's the way I've always seen it spelled:
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By thanosnap:

Because in America, we eat Chicken Kiev and it's the way I've always seen it spelled:
https://www.foodservicedirect.com/media/catalog/product/1/0/10073981341940_efyztp1ruts1fw1o.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=85&fit=bounds
View Quote

Doesn’t change the fact it’s the wrong spelling.

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:56:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]
All clear sounded in Ukrainian airspace.

attacks and multiple large explosions around Kyrivi Rih, this is where the Su-24's with Storm Shadows are based.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

80% Abrams and Bradleys?
F-16 “parts kits”?
3D printed circuit module to enable ATACMS launching from HIMARS (educational purposes only)?
PSA drones sold by the pallet (to make them impossible for Russians to steal!)?
View Quote

HAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:00:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thanosnap] [#6]

View Quote

Now that you mention it I think there is a movement to change the spelling. It looks like the New York Times was spelling it Kiev and changed to Kyiv. But still, this is a restaurant in Brooklyn, NYC opened by Ukrainian immigrants:

https://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/04/27/dining/20110425-cafe-kiev.html

The cryllic alphabet is much different than English.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

"almost zero percent of the AR-15 style rifle using population"  Congratulations on outing yourself.  Up until now, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.  This statement shows how little you have been following the actual war.  Canadian DIAEMCOs, American M16 and M4 variants from many manufacturers, M16A1 variants from God-knows-where, Police and Commercial AR-15s, and various Stoner-derived rifles from many sources have become ubiquitous among the Ukrainians.  Plus, various FN rifles, M14s, CEMTEs and so forth are also issued.  While AK-74s are a plurality (and probably a majority) of individual weapons issued, the number of AR-series weapons present in Ukraine is not anywhere near "almost zero percent".  It is almost inconceivable that Ukraine will continue the AK74 as their primary weapon in the future, as anything in the future will almost certainly be something in a STANAG caliber, and the stuff they have in STANAG calibers will probably hang around in reserve units and police use for a lot longer than the AK74.  The reason I say this is that we had several pages of discussion when the M14's showed up as to when they would show up as parts kits; the consensus was more-or-less that, since they look good in parades and are a STANAG caliber, they would probably end up equipping territorial militia, military cadets, and honor guards in Ukraine for a long time before they ever show up anywhere as a parts kit. This was a pretty memorable part of the thread and occurred nearly a year ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

I went back and cut out all his long winded nonsense except the opening and closing phrases about Ukraine being an American pawn. I want to be clear I don't mind if he brings the Russian version of events on the battlefield.

But this particular post was 100% political propaganda with nothing to do with the war.

It just occurred to me that if you are Ukrainian, the idea of Ukraine being thought of as a pawn, Crimea being only 20% ethnic Ukrainian, or Russian exports being important to the world economy might really anger you. And there does seem to be some Ukrainians on this board. I mean, how many non-Ukrainian Americans are going onto telegram, translating posts, and reposting it here in English?

But you also have to realize Ukraine is 1/2 of 1% of the world population and almost zero percent of the AR-15 style rifle using population. They issue AK-74s.  Ukraine wasn't even a close ally of the US until now. So, not everybody looks at it through the lense of a Ukrainian, especially in an AR community. The world as a whole is pretty much aligned against Russia now, but each country and citizen of that country has their own interests and views which may not 100% align with Ukrainian interests and views.

"almost zero percent of the AR-15 style rifle using population"  Congratulations on outing yourself.  Up until now, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.  This statement shows how little you have been following the actual war.  Canadian DIAEMCOs, American M16 and M4 variants from many manufacturers, M16A1 variants from God-knows-where, Police and Commercial AR-15s, and various Stoner-derived rifles from many sources have become ubiquitous among the Ukrainians.  Plus, various FN rifles, M14s, CEMTEs and so forth are also issued.  While AK-74s are a plurality (and probably a majority) of individual weapons issued, the number of AR-series weapons present in Ukraine is not anywhere near "almost zero percent".  It is almost inconceivable that Ukraine will continue the AK74 as their primary weapon in the future, as anything in the future will almost certainly be something in a STANAG caliber, and the stuff they have in STANAG calibers will probably hang around in reserve units and police use for a lot longer than the AK74.  The reason I say this is that we had several pages of discussion when the M14's showed up as to when they would show up as parts kits; the consensus was more-or-less that, since they look good in parades and are a STANAG caliber, they would probably end up equipping territorial militia, military cadets, and honor guards in Ukraine for a long time before they ever show up anywhere as a parts kit. This was a pretty memorable part of the thread and occurred nearly a year ago.

No doubt, I think everyone who's been following this war closely since before the invasion knew that knowledge.. he's shown a lot even with his spelling of words. No one spells Kyiv .."Kiev"  in the western world, and to say it's because of a recipe is clown shoes ignorant lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#9]

Yes, before you even posted this I had changed it to read they issued AK-74s up until they ran out. I knew this and that's irrelevant to my point that an AR community isn't going to see this 100% through the lense of Ukrainians who traditionally use AKs. In fact in January they started production of M16s in Ukraine. And transitioning to NATO weapons will help with the NATO training of Ukrainians going on in the UK, Spain, Germany and Poland. I think NATO has trained 60k to 100k of them. But nitpicking these little points doesn't change the fact that they weren't a close ally until now and each country has their own interests which may not be 100% Ukrainian interests.

And "Congratulations on outing yourself" ... STOP with that bs or the thread will get derailed, you're not a Russian sympathizer if you're a moderate American. I abhor what Russia did, but that doesn't mean I shut myself off to every valid piece of information that doesn't help a certain agenda (one that may not even be in my country's best interests.)
View All Quotes

Yes, before you even posted this I had changed it to read they issued AK-74s up until they ran out. I knew this and that's irrelevant to my point that an AR community isn't going to see this 100% through the lense of Ukrainians who traditionally use AKs. In fact in January they started production of M16s in Ukraine. And transitioning to NATO weapons will help with the NATO training of Ukrainians going on in the UK, Spain, Germany and Poland. I think NATO has trained 60k to 100k of them. But nitpicking these little points doesn't change the fact that they weren't a close ally until now and each country has their own interests which may not be 100% Ukrainian interests.

And "Congratulations on outing yourself" ... STOP with that bs or the thread will get derailed, you're not a Russian sympathizer if you're a moderate American. I abhor what Russia did, but that doesn't mean I shut myself off to every valid piece of information that doesn't help a certain agenda (one that may not even be in my country's best interests.)

We have been training Ukrainian forces since 2014... They are not "recent" or "just now" partners/allies..so you STOP with your "derail" bs, you are the one who gets upset if someone shuts down your points. Get thicker skin.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

No doubt, I think everyone who's been following this war closely since before the invasion knew that knowledge.. he's shown a lot even with his spelling of words. No one spells Kyiv .."Kiev"  in the western world, and to say it's because of a recipe is clown shoes ignorant lol
View All Quotes

I went back and cut out all his long winded nonsense except the opening and closing phrases about Ukraine being an American pawn. I want to be clear I don't mind if he brings the Russian version of events on the battlefield.

But this particular post was 100% political propaganda with nothing to do with the war.

It just occurred to me that if you are Ukrainian, the idea of Ukraine being thought of as a pawn, Crimea being only 20% ethnic Ukrainian, or Russian exports being important to the world economy might really anger you. And there does seem to be some Ukrainians on this board. I mean, how many non-Ukrainian Americans are going onto telegram, translating posts, and reposting it here in English?

But you also have to realize Ukraine is 1/2 of 1% of the world population and almost zero percent of the AR-15 style rifle using population. They issue AK-74s.  Ukraine wasn't even a close ally of the US until now. So, not everybody looks at it through the lense of a Ukrainian, especially in an AR community. The world as a whole is pretty much aligned against Russia now, but each country and citizen of that country has their own interests and views which may not 100% align with Ukrainian interests and views.

Errrr . . . Until this war that's the only way I *ever* saw it spelled.  I spell it Kyiv now just because of knowledge gained in this war.  99.9% of Americans would have zero clue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I am sitting at the edge of my keyboard waiting for Ukrainian AAR's about small arms (and grenades, tanks, etc). I think the pre-invasion UA was 99% AK variant, probably almost all 74's . Since the invasion, I'm seeing more and more AR variants from typical M4 to various M16 too. Lots of Polish and other variants also. I remember seeing new Foreign Legion guys showing off their brand new FNC's and complaining about having very few mags to go with them.

I dont think any other army can claim so much hard experience with so many various small arms in such diverse and harsh conditions.
View All Quotes

I am sitting at the edge of my keyboard waiting for Ukrainian AAR's about small arms (and grenades, tanks, etc). I think the pre-invasion UA was 99% AK variant, probably almost all 74's . Since the invasion, I'm seeing more and more AR variants from typical M4 to various M16 too. Lots of Polish and other variants also. I remember seeing new Foreign Legion guys showing off their brand new FNC's and complaining about having very few mags to go with them.

I dont think any other army can claim so much hard experience with so many various small arms in such diverse and harsh conditions.

Indeed.  What we have heard back from them has been enlightening, and somewhat different from what I expected.  I didn't expect the G36's and M-14's to last as long in front-line combat as they have, or to be as popular as they are with the Ukrainians.  I never thought much about grenades (pretty much my experience is limited to US stuff; M67, M26 on one occasion, the usual CS/Smoke canister grenades, etc) and didn't realize how superior the M67 (despite being old) was to COMBLOC designs. Also, how "unobsolete" the STINGER, the M113, and Gephard still are, and how rapidly the Ukes used Javelin and their homegrown stuff to decimate Russian tank/armor formations.  As a guy who was once one of the leading advocates for Counter-UAS, even I was shocked at how quickly the Ukes created an effective UAS-driven recon and strike capability mostly from scratch.  As someone who spent most of his career around Armor/Mech formations, I was also sobered by how both sides have neutralized so many Armor advantages with old-school mines.  Let's not even discuss how quickly the Ukes have upped their Artillery/ADA game, or the fact that the UAF still functionally exists after over 18 months of combat and is delivering relatively modern, western-sourced munitions from a fleet that is still largely Soviet-surplus airframes.  And that barely scratches the surface!
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

TBH, until 2014 that is the way I spelled it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Errrr . . . Until this war that's the only way I *ever* saw it spelled.  I spell it Kyiv now just because of knowledge gained in this war.  99.9% of Americans would have zero clue.
View All Quotes

Yes I imagine some parts of this country with Russian population have spelled it like that but I've always known it as Kyiv, but the point is the folks who began to follow this conflict closely have learned the correct way to spell it, anyone still going with "Kiev" now, is behind.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dracster] [#14]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ua_nrWy0a8

I'm not finding any real evidence that these were produced in large numbers.

Video from 2018ish-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QAWnGt-UQ

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ua_nrWy0a8

I'm not finding any real evidence that these were produced in large numbers.

New Ukrainian M4-WAC47 rifle 'a strong political message to Russia'

It is now up to Ukrainian soldiers to decide if the brand new M4-WAC47 assault rifle   a special descendant of the legendary American-made M16 rifle   is good enough to eventually retire their decades-old workhorse Kalashnikovs.

A year after the initial announcement, the first batch of 10 new rifles is now undergoing firing trials by Ukraine's Special Operations Forces, National Guard and Border Service.

Among those, one rifle was also sent to one of the army brigades deployed in the Donbas war zone for assessing its merits and flaws in actual combat, as the UkrOboronProm defense industry concern's spokesperson Roksolana Sheyko confirmed to the Kyiv Post.

Designed by the U.S.-based company Aeroscraft specifically for Ukraine, the new M4 model came into the spotlight last year for being adapted to chamber both old Soviet-era ammo, still extensively used by all Ukrainian troops, and the munitions that are universal for NATO, the standards of which Ukraine seeks to adopt by 2020.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/6837

Video from 2018ish-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QAWnGt-UQ

In a New Year's statement on Jan. 3, 2018, Ukraine's central state arms company, UkrOboronProm, or UOP, announced it had delivered the initial batch of WAC-47s to unspecified units by way of American firm Aeroscraft. Ukrainian officials first revealed plans to purchase the rifles in January 2017 and the country expects to eventually issue the guns across both its active and reserve military units and to personnel in other state security services. It would be an important upgrade for these organizations, which use dated variants of the legendary Kalashnikov AKM pattern as their primary service rifles at present.

Ukraine and Russia have been embroiled in a serious conflict since 2014, when the Kremlin seized the Crimea region and began actively supporting separatists seeking to break away from the government in Kiev. This all followed a popular political uprising that ousted Ukraine's previous Pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych. Though the two countries are not openly at war, by all accounts Russian troops have been actively engaged in fighting with Ukrainian troops on Ukrainian soil as part of a complex, hybrid war.
"For our country and the Ukrainian army, M16 production in Ukraine is a real step towards Euro-Atlantic structures," UOP said in the October 2017 statement. "Every country that has teared [sic] itself away from Russia's orbit, went or is going through this difficult stage, [is] taking many years and demanding great effort."

Underscoring these statements is UOP's partnership with Aeroscraft, a division of Worldwide Aeros Corporation. The firm's main business is lighter-than-air craft, such as blimps and tethered aerostats.

Igor Pasternak, who grew up in Soviet Kazakhstan, first founded Aeros Limited in Soviet Ukraine in 1986, becoming one of the Soviet Union's first private engineering firms to appear under Premier Mikhail Gorbachev's Perestroika reforms, according to his company's website. Pasternak subsequently immigrated to the United States in 1993 and has steadily become an outspoken critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin and his policies, especially with regards to Ukraine.

In 2016, Worldwide Aeroscraft signed a separate deal with the Ukrainian border guard to supply unspecified surveillance equipment. At the time, Pasternak said this contract was part of the U.S. government's larger program to provide non-lethal military aid to Ukraine.

In December 2017, President Donald Trump's administration approved a commercial license for the sale of Barrett M107A1 .50 caliber sniper rifles to Ukraine, which seemed to indicate a departure from the policies of President Barack Obama. It's not clear if this was necessarily the case, though. That month there was a separate report that Texas-based AirTronic USA had quietly secured similar approval for the delivery of a number of its Precision Shoulder-fired Rocket Launchers, or PSRL, an upgraded version of the Soviet RPG-7 rocket-propelled grenade launcher, to Ukraine in 2016.

If Aeroscraft has actually produced any version of WAC-47 in the United States it would have needed a similar waiver to actually deliver them to Ukrainian troops. Though Trump has often called for better relations with Russia, there is no indication he would've necessarily been inclined to block this particular sale or any future ones.

The administration has gone back and forth in its tone toward the Kremlin, sometimes criticizing its involvement in conflicts in Ukraine
and Syria, its potential support for insurgents in Afghanistan, its intransigence over North Korea, and its aggressive foreign policy. In December 2017, there were reports that Trump was considering a larger lethal arms package for Ukrainian forces that would notably include Javelin anti-tank missiles to help counter Russian armored units in the country.

If nothing else, the guns will be an important upgrade over the older AKM types. One can see the M4-WAC-47s as a larger metaphor for shifting American policies toward the conflict in Ukraine and the Ukrainian government's own desire to develop even closer ties to the United States and Western Europe.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17797/ukraines-new-ak-m16-mashup-rifle-is-symbolic-of-the-countrys-morphing-strategic-reality

Iirc, they had mag feeding issues just like everyone else did. In 2020, the National Guard Special Forces started receiving UAR-15s in 5.56. After the 4th Rapid Response Brigade, and others, briefly recaptured the Hostomel airport at the beginning of the war, the troops were seen with a mix of AKs and UARs.

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
T-55s and D-20s...

How long you figure it will be before we see Mig 17s?
View Quote

Does this mean we have to find a bunch of later model F86 Sabers and F7 Crusaders to send to Ukraine?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]
All the fluff and thread-sliding posts are really giving my mouse wheel a work out.

Still not worth paying for an ignore button, though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Yes I imagine some parts of this country with Russian population have spelled it like that but I've always known it as Kyiv, but the point is the folks who began to follow this conflict closely have learned the correct way to spell it, anyone still going with "Kiev" now, is behind.
View Quote
It not something I pay much attention to. I spell it both ways. I call it Kiev because that is the way I learned it and reversing that probably isn't happening.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I recall watching a video of Ukrainian SOF (Kraken) conducting a raid, and when the cameraman swapped mags in his M4, he racked the charging handle instead of hitting the bolt release. AK habits are hard to break, I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Why do you used "spelled" when you clearly mean "spelt"?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
View Quote

2022 for me.
Also Kharkiv for Kharkov.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Same
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#23]

1 of 32 = you’re going to have to click tonight

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

I could go for a couple dozen truckloads of that dirt.
View Quote

LOL, My late mother was a dedicated home gardener, she always get jealous when she’d she some rich dark earth and say the same.

Her and my dad were WWII veterans that grew up during the depression so the gardened and home canned and they would be all about seeing Ukraine win over the Russians.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#25]
A lot of what's currently happening in the south depends on Verbove. If the Ukrainians can take some of the defensive line to the southeast of there, that would compromise a lot of Russian positions from their flanks. The Ukrainians do have a halfway decent shot at pulling that off in a reasonable timeframe, I think. I don't think this would lead to Kharkiv like collapse or route (I doubt we'll ever see that again in this war), it would force the Russian position to be fairly untenable. Retreat would likely be the best option, but it's unlikely the Russians would do that. Instead, they'd rather let their forces get mauled than cede territory. Both sides in this conflict have committed to "hold at all costs" defensive strategies, much to their own detriment.

Russia values the land bridge very, very much. It's much more important to them than the entirety of the Donbas, especially given that the industrial areas there have been destroyed for the most part. I think the Russians would sacrifice every unit in Zaporizhzhia if it meant maintaining the land bridge, bleeding Ukraine, and deteriorating Western will to provide equipment. That means it's going to be very hard to force Russia to retreat, even if their positions are compromised, and even if every single military science book every written would tell them to withdraw.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I'm guilty of the same transgression. Old dogs and new tricks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:11:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thanosnap] [#27]

View Quote

I have a bachelors degree from the University of Minnesota with a 4.0 GPA. My ex-wife has a journalism degree and helped me with the technical writing part of it. I could go on and on about the oxford comma. How the newspapers find it an unnecessary expense for printing and a legal case was overturned by not using it making a law vague. That's a grammar nerd thing. So I'm no slouch when it comes to spelling and grammar. The fact that someone here would point out Kiev is the Russian spelling and Kyiv is the Ukrainian spelling says a lot about the community here. There's a lot of Ukrainians trying to manipulate the discussion. That's probably why it sounds like this discussion is on thin ice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Zbroyar, going off memory
View Quote

No, Zbroyar is a well established UA small arms manufacturer. The company involved in this AR47 project is a small US business supposedly specializing in aeronautical engineering.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j_hooker] [#29]

View Quote

I will admit this, I’m a little impressed that they built these tanks to last and run.  The Russian plan was to keep them in time of need and they are executing that.  
Just like the Mosin, and AK, built tuff, simple and they just last.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Are we really arguing the spelling of Kyiv/Kiev?

Technically you are all wrong as it is Київ.

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

I recall watching a video of Ukrainian SOF (Kraken) conducting a raid, and when the cameraman swapped mags in his M4, he racked the charging handle instead of hitting the bolt release. AK habits are hard to break, I suppose.
View Quote

We don't know who trained them. There are people out there teaching to use charging handle when reloading. I'm not subscribing to their school of thought but the logic behind it is you can bump the bolt release against something and send the bolt forward before the fresh mag is inserted, then insert the mag, hit the bolt release and get vapor locked because your rifle doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

View All Quotes

I’ve only known it as Kiev and never have thought to spell it as Kyiv
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#33]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
View Quote

Unfortunately they cut it short and left out calculators and abacus beads and AAR sex promises.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

Yet I would think someone who jumped into ONLY this thread to educate us on the facts of Ukraine would have known that. Unless…
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:45:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#35]

I have a bachelors degree from the University of Minnesota with a 4.0 GPA. My ex-wife has a journalism degree and helped me with the technical writing part of it. I could go on and on about the oxford comma. How the newspapers find it an unnecessary expense for printing and a legal case was overturned by not using it making a law vague. That's a grammar nerd thing. So I'm no slouch when it comes to spelling and grammar. The fact that someone here would point out Kiev is the Russian spelling and Kyiv is the Ukrainian spelling says a lot about the community here. There's a lot of Ukrainians trying to manipulate the discussion. That's probably why it sounds like this discussion is on thin ice.
View All Quotes

Lol, you still don't get that that was a top staff member (DKProf) telling you the thread is not on thin ice, you were. This thread is a treasure trove of news and updates on the war and has a special place here. Mods are protective of it and have banned a bunch of people from it, and nearly did you. Several of the people you are going over and over and over the same points against are the ones who have put in untold hours making it a great resource. News from both sides is presented. The fact is that the thread has a major pro-Ukraine bias is because: 1) that should have been an automatic conclusion apriori because it is Russia we're talking about as Americans, and 2) that is the correct conclusion that most would come to when they've actually been keeping up with what has happened and is happening. Trying to make this sound like an echo chamber just because people are reporting directly from Ukraine first hand here, have family or history there, and are successfully fundraising here, is a joke. You're the one that isn't interpreting our national interests correctly and is off the mark. It is pretty rude to crash into a thread thousands of pages in development and walk all over it the way you do, disrespecting those that actually contribute... news. Maybe you should try reading more and posting less and show some respect instead of trying to make the thread your own. You have no idea what the ropes are here and sound like a fool saying this thread is gong anywhere over anything anyone says to you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thanosnap] [#36]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Lol, you still don't get that that was a top staff member (DKProf) telling you the thread is not on thin ice, you were. This thread is a treasure trove of news and updates on the war and has a special place here. Mods are protective of it and have banned a bunch of people from it, and nearly did you. Several of the people you are going over and over and over the same points against are the ones who have put in untold hours making it a great resource. News from both sides is presented. The fact is that the thread has a major pro-Ukraine bias is because: 1) that should have been an automatic conclusion apriori because it is Russia we're talking about as Americans, and 2) that is the correct conclusion that most would come to when they've actually been keeping up with what has happened and is happening. Trying to make this sound like an echo chamber just because people are reporting directly from Ukraine first hand here, have family or history there, and are successfully fundraising here, is a joke. You're the one that isn't interpreting our national interests correctly and is off the mark. It is pretty rude to crash into a thread thousands of pages in development and walk all over it the way you do, disrespecting those that actually contribute... news. Maybe you should try reading more and posting less and show some respect instead of trying to make the thread your own. You have no idea what the ropes are here and sound like a fool saying this thread is gong anywhere over anything anyone says to you.
View Quote

Elon Musk being pro-Russian now, c'mon! America and Ukraine's interests are not 100% aligned. A 5th grader could tell you that. We do have the same enemy. You are still a country because of us. You don't need to attack a moderate American.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Socialist Victory and the Bungle Factor: Is Putin Worthy of Stalin?
The network of people disinforming Western opinion is very extensive. It includes the press of different and frequently divergent political orientations.

Article by J.R. Nyquist
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
It not something I pay much attention to. I spell it both ways. I call it Kiev because that is the way I learned it and reversing that probably isn't happening.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

It's worth sitting back and thinking for a moment about how much division has been taking place in the thread recently.  

And who's been consistently at the center of the SEVERAL instances where a divisive issue surfaces.    
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Hard to dispute this conclusion. “OK, watch out, we will be sending longer range missiles soon, but not too soon. Could be a few months. Get ready now.  Wouldn’t want you to move important stuff back further and dig in better. “
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:06:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#41]
Speaking of being out of range:
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

I go by weight of history.

If the area was heavily fought over and notable in WW2; I go by the spellings in Eastern Front Historiography (Kiev, Kharkov, etc).

If the area is something "new", like Robotyne, Mariupol; I go by Ukrainian spelling.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Well the "Elon Musk committed evil" narrative is the one coming out of Kiev right now:

And I get it, Russia's trying to destroy their country so they want to destroy Russia, but America isn't Kiev and Musk isn't Ukrainian.
View Quote
Evil? No. A dumbass in terms of geopolitics and war? Yep. They want to destroy the Russian forces firing on their cities and push Russia out.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:13:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#44]
Worthy rant on slow walking Joe

Unrolled thread for the X-free

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:24:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#45]

View All Quotes

I understand if an American who is not of Ukrainian descent wants to spell it or call it "Kiev" because they grew up in a time when Ukraine was occupied by Russia and the Soviet Union.

But understand that Ukraine and the Ukrainian people are the Kyivan-Rus people and are an older culture than the Muscovites/Russians. When the Muscovites conquered the Kyivan-Rus they announced to the world that they were the leaders of the "Rus" people - a big deal since the Kyivan-Rus was one of the most successful and great empires in Europe. Eventually, the Muscovites evolved their name into Russians (after taking much of Ukrainian culture and calling it their own). To differentiate themselves from the new "Russians", Kyivan-Rus people changed their name to Ukraina which basically means borderland or "on the border with Russia". (A short read: How Moscow Hijacked the History of Kyivan-Rus)

Russia has attacked and tried to erase the history, culture, ethnicity, language, etc. of the Ukrainian people for hundred of years before the USA was born. This included many mass murders, totalitarian occupation, and the largest genocide by famine in world history in 1931 called the Holodomor where somewhere between 7 and 12 million Ukrainians were starved to death.

When the Russified name of Kiev is used today in front of a Ukrainian, it projects that Ukraine's capital is really of Russian origin or Russian. So, it is insulting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:27:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thanosnap] [#46]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Evil? No. A dumbass in terms of geopolitics and war? Yep. They want to destroy the Russian forces firing on their cities and push Russia out.  
View Quote

no if you read the tweet the Ukrainian official says "And do they now realize that they are committing evil and encouraging evil?" referring to Musk. And this was the same guy who saved their asses by giving them starlink in the first place when the Russians were using easily intercepted communications.

And when Biden lost his temper and yelled at Zelensky and said you're being ungrateful, I can see why now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Jfc this thread is starting to suck
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MarineGrunt:
Jfc this thread is starting to suck
View Quote

Add some substance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#49]

This will be big news if true. UA is making important incursions at several points on the front. As more Russian units get shifted south it should further weaken the north and eastern sections. Russia has to put as many troops as it takes to hold the south. So I expect the first big breakthrough will be north of Donetsk. But Opytne and the airport could realistically be nibbled away.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Add some substance.
View Quote

Substance? There’s a two page purse fight going on about how to spell Kyiv/Kiev and whether or not that qualifies someone as a Russian troll.. I don’t think the problem here is my lack of substance. Lots of folks only have a few minutes out of their day to quick scroll through to see what’s going on.. It’s been really great for a few thousand pages but all this bickering is getting really tiresome. Or maybe I can bring up Trump and start another 10 pages derail. Would that be enough?
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4841 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top