Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5268 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Every western nation should deport every single Russian living abroad. We should do it now. No exceptions, no excuses, you are going back to Russia and your assets are forfeit. You home will be sold to finance the war in Ukraine. Cars and personal effects as well.

Why are we harboring these expats? Do we honestly thing they are loyal to us? Even if some are, why would we give them the benefit of the doubt?

View Quote

We should definitely be screening them harder but encouraging the Brain Drain Russia is experiencing should be a priority. Lure away thier best people, leave the rest in a swamp of FAS fueled mediocrity. If we send them back we can’t guarantee they will expend them in meat assaults out of spite, and may actually make use of them which is bad for Ukraine and us.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Thats definitely a factor.

The other issue was the "Fleet Yaw Effect" discovered only after high speed footage.

Basically all rifle bullets in all calibers leave the barrel kind of flopping up and down as until they stabilize properly after ~50yd. With M855 Green Tip, depending on the 'flop' angle on impact, it would either tumble rapidly and work spectacularly, or it would penetrate straight through 10" before tumbling; a thin combatant would just get a .22lr sized hole in these instances.

The new M855A1 EPR projectile solved this, as do CONUS use of JSP projectiles, both of which are 'Yaw Independent'.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/07/28/weekly-dtic-fleet-yaw-problem-improving-rifle-effectiveness/

https://i.ibb.co/3kCCBDv/download.jpg
View Quote

They yaw, but usually within the diameter of the bullet, so it is not that big of a discrepancy.  Shoot at 25 yds and you won't see keyholing or anything near it.  I tried reading the linked papers but the links appeared to be broken.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
About time , why fight the swarm when you can burn the nest
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
In the Middle East.

About time , why fight the swarm when you can burn the nest

Exactly, I think it should have been done in October with the first incidents.  Its cheaper in the long run as well
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]

9 "Tu-95ms", which are located at the "Olenya" airfield (ammunition - approximately 54 cruise missiles of the Kh-101 type!
8 "Tu-22m3", at the "Shaykovka" airfield (ammunition of 8 cruise missiles of the Kh-22 type)
4 Tu-160s, which are located at the Engels-2 airfield (ammunition of 28 cruise missiles of the X-101/555 type)
16 "Tu-22m3", which are located at the "Diagilevo" airfield (ammunition of 16 cruise missiles of the Kh-22 type)
5 TU-22M3 at Mozdok airfield (ammunition of 5 Kh-22 cruise missiles)
10 MIG-31K at the airfield "Savasleika" (ammunition of 10 missiles "Dagger"!
4 sides of TU-95MS at the airfield "Engels-2" (ammunition 24 cruise missiles of the X-101 type)
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Ukrainian Navy explains why Türkiye prohibited ships gifted to Ukraine from entering Black Sea

Vice Admiral Oleksii Neizhpapa, Commander of the Ukrainian Navy, has named the specific ships gifted to Ukraine that Türkiye did not let into the Black Sea, along with the reasons for this decision.

Source: Neizhpapa, Commander of the Ukrainian Navy, in an interview with Ukrainska Pravda (the interview will soon be translated into English)

Quote: "Türkiye has stated that they will not allow the minehunter ships Cherkasy and Chernihiv into the Black Sea. These two vessels were transferred to us at the beginning of 2023 and are already part of the Ukrainian Navy, although currently in the United Kingdom. There, our crews are training according to NATO standards, and upon the completion [of training], I believe these ships will be fully compatible with NATO countries in terms of mine countermeasure operations.

However, we did not request passage through the Türkiye straits for these ships because we understand that the Montreux Convention prohibits it. Otherwise, the Russian Federation could do the same and increase the number of, for example, missile carriers or landing ships. We understand this, and therefore, we did not attempt to do so.

I think there might have been some misunderstanding in the information field. I can only assume, but minesweepers are sailing from the UK to Romania. They are exactly the same, of the same class as ours. Perhaps, this issue arose in the press due to them. However, these are ships purchased in the United Kingdom by Romania for their own purposes."

Details: Neizhpapa also confirmed that negotiations are ongoing regarding the involvement of NATO ships to ensure the safety of civilian shipping to the ports of Ukraine. However, he does not know when the agreements will be reached.

Quote: "We won't disclose the specific ships at this time, but I have contacted several commanders with requests. This is a matter of a political nature. Therefore, all my fleet commander friends have confirmed that if there is a political decision from the leadership, they will implement it. Currently, this issue is being raised at the presidential level. If he has said so, that means he and his office are working on it."

Background:

At the beginning of January, Türkiye announced its intention to prohibit two minehunter ships, which the UK is handing over to Ukraine, from transiting through its waters on the way to the Black Sea. The Navy noted that it had not submitted a request to Türkiye for the passage of minehunter ships.

When Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Türkiye invoked the Montreux Convention of 1936, thus blocking the passage of warships to the warring parties.

Previously: In late November, Ukrainian President Zelenskyy said that Ukraine would receive boats to ensure the safety of vessels in the grain corridor.

https://news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-navy-explains-why-t-111023311.html

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:58:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#7]
We’ll, right back to the beginning all over again

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/11/us/politics/spending-deal-government-shutdown.html

Attachment Attached File

CNN asks Mike Johnson if he's worried about Republicans removing him as speaker
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#9]

https://x.com/Faytuks/status/1745554788111057350

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

AfD will win the next elections in the East German states. They are a far right party financed by Russia.

In the same time the German economy is going down the drain.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDgNf8OWIAAkUKv?format=jpg&name=large

Long term, keep an eye on German politics and economy. It may not become a problem but there are some potential concerns to keep an eye on to see if they become problems or fade and aren’t anything at all. For now that’s good news

AfD will win the next elections in the East German states. They are a far right party financed by Russia.

They did not start out as “financed by Russia,” nor “far right.”  (although I don’t disagree with your assessment as of now).

AfD were the only reasonable group (well, there was also Pegida), who were voicing any opposition to Merkels insane decision to welcome untenable numbers of “refugees” into Germany, unchecked, beginning in 2014.

AfD are right about Germany committing cultural suicide with their open border / refugee policies.

Sadly, like our NRA, the Kremlin sought to exploit AfD for their own nefarious purposes.  That exploitation does not, however, invalidate the legitimate concerns many Germans have about the out of control immigration policy.

If AfD wins in the East, hopefully it won’t be enough to derail Ukr funding; though I share your concern there.

As I’ve mentioned, my wife, kids, and in-laws are Germans.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

I honestly think that's a very large part of the criticism that 5.56 gets. People have watched too many movies, and expect someone to instantly drop or get sent flying across the room when shot "center mass," when that's not realistic at all (well, that and guys who can't shoot for shit and blame 5.56 for their inability to shoot). Barring a CNS hit, nothing guarantees immediate fight ending effects. With a CNS hit, most anything guarantees immediate fight ending effects.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K0UA:

If  you have killed very many medium to large sized animals. you know that is not how it works. I have seen many deer operate for a while without heart in working order or seemingly much blood still in them. Central Nervous System hits seem to do the instantaneous thing, but body hits seldom put them on the ground instantly.

I honestly think that's a very large part of the criticism that 5.56 gets. People have watched too many movies, and expect someone to instantly drop or get sent flying across the room when shot "center mass," when that's not realistic at all (well, that and guys who can't shoot for shit and blame 5.56 for their inability to shoot). Barring a CNS hit, nothing guarantees immediate fight ending effects. With a CNS hit, most anything guarantees immediate fight ending effects.

7.62 and .30-06 are seldom an "instant drop for good", unless it is the back of the brain/brain stem.  My experience is that, unless it is multiple rounds or a clean shot to the cranium, .50 cal is the closest thing to a center mass "one shot/dead now" round; and even that is not guaranteed!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

They did not start out as “financed by Russia,” nor “far right.”  (although I don’t disagree with your assessment as of now).

AfD were the only reasonable group (well, there was also Pegida), who were voicing any opposition to Merkels insane decision to welcome untenable numbers of “refugees” into Germany, unchecked, beginning in 2014.

AfD are right about Germany committing cultural suicide with their open border / refugee policies.

Sadly, like our NRA, the Kremlin sought to exploit AfD for their own nefarious purposes.  That exploitation does not, however, invalidate the legitimate concerns many Germans have about the out of control immigration policy.

If AfD wins in the East, hopefully it won’t be enough to derail Ukr funding; though I share your concern there.

View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDgNf8OWIAAkUKv?format=jpg&name=large

Long term, keep an eye on German politics and economy. It may not become a problem but there are some potential concerns to keep an eye on to see if they become problems or fade and aren’t anything at all. For now that’s good news

Who did Merkel work for?
Create the problem, offer the solution.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

AfD was founded 2013, before the migrant crises that was created by Merkel 2015. It started as EU scepticism and neo liberal party, but was infiltrated by the far right.

BTW, the "far right" is nothing more than the CDU was 20 years ago.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Who did Merkel work for?
Create the problem, offer the solution.
View Quote

The WEF and herself.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#17]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUjY2nhJAgI
View Quote

Thanks for posting this.

It might not seem like much, but what stuck out to me about the video was the bigger fellow basically describing the 3 broad missions of all combat engineers: mobility, counter-mobility, and survivability.

Of course, they had a small segment of "Joe" complaining...but his main implied gripe was just that they should have started sooner and that doing it now, in all this bad weather, sucked so much more ass! That's some Jedi-level E4 mafia bitching, right there! Who's being insubordinate? Not meee, SIR!

The "so what" to me is that these dudes understand their role down to the lowest level, accepted their capabilities and limitations, and were also preparing those works with the future of Ukraine in mind (carefully marking/recording mined areas, and only attempting to employ them where absolutely necessary, further conserving resources).

Compare this to the knowledge, awareness, and motivation of typical Russian troops.

Ukrainians know down to the lowest man why they are fighting, and that is why they are going to win.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDl0xyYWUAAcBb9?format=jpg&name=900x900

View Quote

It's wonderful that we're giving the Houthis updates every hour on what we might be up to.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:35:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#19]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

It's wonderful that we're giving the Houthis updates every hour on what we might be up to.
View All Quotes

Just incredible isn't it?  Common sense is no longer common anymore.

Currently:

I sort of wonder what that single Houthi pilot with the F-5 is doing about now.

lol.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Did they announce the date and time and location of the repurposed goat tent they are going to hit yet? Maybe they’ll put in in their next strongly worded warning  letter.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
FPV drone talk with Daniele, Andrew Perpetua and Jonathan Pearce
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Yeah

Previously up to 72 aircraft seemed to be in the table, far fewer than the amount Ukraine requested and hoped for but Ukraine expressed 50 would be a absolute bare minimum they could utilize effectively in a limited capacity.

The likely 38ish+ (?) that have been delayed and potentially will be provided piecemeal would only exacerbate problems for employment and executing air operations but like you put it, something is better than nothing.

I also have a feeling in other upcoming future wars nations will also discover they don’t have the amount of aircraft they really need to exercise air dominance.

In my opinion nations worldwide should be paying attention to the issues in this war because manpower, air power, air defense etc are likely to also effect others who currently probably assume they won’t be in a war whether it’s South America, Japan or whoever.

I could be wrong but it sure seems the Iran-Russia-China-North Korea axis or bloc is only just beginning its aggression. Even Russia-China allied Venezuela threatening Guyana. Birds of a feather

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

I’ve read that the F16 as provided will be far superior to the decrepit MiG-29s but only peer with the Su-35 and its radar and missiles. And while any number is better than nothing, we are providing NONE and Europe a small number. Once you subtract the number needed for ongoing training and the average number down for maintenance it will be pretty small compared to the total aircraft Russia has deployed. Then factor in losses…

They need 200 or more, not 40.

Yeah

Previously up to 72 aircraft seemed to be in the table, far fewer than the amount Ukraine requested and hoped for but Ukraine expressed 50 would be a absolute bare minimum they could utilize effectively in a limited capacity.

The likely 38ish+ (?) that have been delayed and potentially will be provided piecemeal would only exacerbate problems for employment and executing air operations but like you put it, something is better than nothing.

I also have a feeling in other upcoming future wars nations will also discover they don’t have the amount of aircraft they really need to exercise air dominance.

In my opinion nations worldwide should be paying attention to the issues in this war because manpower, air power, air defense etc are likely to also effect others who currently probably assume they won’t be in a war whether it’s South America, Japan or whoever.

I could be wrong but it sure seems the Iran-Russia-China-North Korea axis or bloc is only just beginning its aggression. Even Russia-China allied Venezuela threatening Guyana. Birds of a feather

That is an excellent point. Instead of trying to dodge the war in Ukraine the West should be jolted awake that this is what real war entails and it will happen to them eventually unless they pull out all the stops and move all their best equipment to the active front.

Some guys here have posited that WW3 has already started. I’m coming around to that idea.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#25]

It’s on us too.  We (some of us) elected poo-flinging chimps like MTG.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

People cheering over McCarthy's ouster did not understand, and still don't. The party has an obligation to govern. Failing to do that, which they are now, is going to result in Dem victories in November. Calling people 'RINO' for passing bills the fringe doesn't want is dumb and counterproductive. Governing matters.

end off-topic

At least in 2024 now living in Texas my R votes might actual count for something!  Versus voting in a hard blue state/county like I was in Oregon.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#26]

The idea that Russia won't up their game when it comes to repair/replacement/new construction is naive. They have already placed their economy on a war footing, something the west has not embraced yet.

We need to get motivated now. We are, at a minimum, two years behind the curve. If the western leaders had listened to the Kremlin's rhetoric and took the "little green men" seriously almost a decade ago, we could have demolished Russia's notion that they could conquer Ukraine in a sleepwalk. Instead, we are watching these animals butcher, rape and plunder their neighbors and we trickle support like it's blood donation, just enough to keep the patient alive, not enough to make them healthy.

The gloves need to come off. We should start with Russia's far-flung proxies first. A MOAB or two on African mercenaries seems apropos. Once their longest tenacles have been severed, Syrian naval bases seem to be the next area of attention. Putin thinks he can do or say anything he likes, as if he has any sort of military capacity outside of his nuclear threat. He lacks everywhere, until he pushes the button.

He should know, without any doubt, that once he goes nuclear, he, his family, his nation is doomed.

Every western nation should deport every single Russian living abroad. We should do it now. No exceptions, no excuses, you are going back to Russia and your assets are forfeit. You home will be sold to finance the war in Ukraine. Cars and personal effects as well.

Why are we harboring these expats? Do we honestly thing they are loyal to us? Even if some are, why would we give them the benefit of the doubt?

Our embassy in Moscow (and any others in Russia) need to be abandoned and set on fire when we leave. I know intelligence is collected at these venues, but the truth has already been revealed and we are at war whether anybody else recognizes it or not.

V. Putin should drink the funny tasting tea and the world will be a better place once he does.  

View All Quotes
How many tanks are left in Russia?

https://mil.in.ua/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/121-1.jpg

How many tanks are left in Russia? A question that comes up very often in discussions, and to which it is simply impossible to find an exact answer - probably even Shoigu and Gerasimov do not know it. However, attempts to count tanks do not stop. Today we will analyze one of them - the report of the French OSINT cell ARI, published on August 31, 2023.

The French tried to figure out how many tanks the Russians have at storage bases. It must be said that the numbers here are very "jumping" - for example, the International Institute for Strategic Studies estimated this number in 2022 at as many as 17.5 thousand tanks, including 200 T-90, 3 thousand T-80, 7 thousand T- 72, 2 thousand T-64, 2.5 thousand T-62 and 2.8 thousand T-55. However, these calculations are very inaccurate, because they are based on an estimate of the number of tanks produced during the USSR.

Estimates from last year's Military Balance yearbook are much more modest: approximately 2,000 tanks in service and up to 5,000 in storage. However, its authors take into account models from the T-62 and higher - but in reality, the grasshoppers not only have hundreds of T-54/55 in their warehouses, but are already using them at the front! It is interesting that in 2022, Military Balance wrote about as many as 13.7 thousand Russian tanks, but even in this case it did not count the T-54/55.

In their calculations, ARI specialists used satellite images taken between April and September 2021. They were supplemented with information from social networks. Calculations were made for ten central storage bases out of 22 available in the Russian Federation - they are the ones where, according to estimates, 95% of tanks are concentrated.

So, what did you manage to calculate? 5,538 tanks, of which 4,347 are identified by type. It is clear that we are talking about tanks that are stored under the open sky. There are also canopies and boxes at the researched bases, the capacity of which is estimated at 1,950 cars. However, part of these premises must be allocated for repairs, and part is probably occupied not by tanks, but by other machines. Taking into account the above, the number of tanks in storage can be estimated at a maximum of 7,000, but probably around 6,000.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiuktZpN1rll7zCLkUSjVGfRQhwm0uXji6nXW059S0EjHxGwY_jSJnglxg2_rblHyZ1Pz6QieDrPE60499wmTbrIMWdnUFTjrUaIZ9GniaDE6HxzkPEh7TqxUYFVt6GWXwFBxbgEYON3fIRCBgbQCkykw3p6aAXJBSUT7v25VE49Ta-vhl2A5YO3PO6mtg/w640-h376/122.jpg

What types have been identified? These are 750 T-80 tanks (mainly BV and UD versions), 1,945 T-72 (mostly non-modernized T-72B, as well as T-72A and T-72), 1,239 T-62 (including many T -62M) and 413 T-54/55. Three quarters of them are tanks produced before 1980. The situation with the T-64 is a bit unclear - the French write that they did not count them, because due to a lack of spare parts, these tanks will not be able to be returned to service. There are no T-90s either - although there should be some amount of them at the storage bases, after all. Maybe they were counted together with the T-72?

The breakdown of types of tanks by district is also interesting. In the Western Military District, these are T-80U/UE-1, T-80BV, T-80UD and T-72. In Central - older T-72 and remnants of T-64. In the East - some T-80, the bulk of T-62, as well as T-54/55.

Attention was also drawn to the tank repair capabilities of the Russian Federation. Currently, 10 large military equipment repair factories are operating across the country, two of which are deployed from repair bases. Three of them repair tanks. To this should be added "Omsktransmash", which used to manufacture T-80 tanks, and now repairs them and modernizes them to the level of T-80BVM.

The pace of work, according to ARI , is significantly lower than Russian propaganda says. For example, the 103rd Armored Tank Repair Plant in Transbaikalia is able to restore an average of 8 T-62 tanks every month: at the beginning of March 2023, the army handed over about 40 such tanks, the repair of which began in October 2022. At the same time, Russian publications talk about the monthly repair of 22-23 tanks here.

The 61st armored personnel carrier in St. Leninburg repairs 30-60 tanks a year. The 163rd armored personnel carrier (Krasnodar Territory), implementing previously concluded contracts, repaired 24 T-72 tanks and 100 BMP-2 tanks in one year (apparently 2021?). The situation at Omsktransmash is illustrated by satellite photos: in November 2022, there were about 100 tanks awaiting repair; in May 2023, the queue almost doubled. The recovery time of one tank raised from the storage base is very dependent on its preservation. For cars in worse condition, it reaches three to four months. Often, for recovery, you have to resort to cannibalizing other machines.

"Uralvagonzavod" in 2011-2021 modernized about 1,240 T-72B tanks to the T-72B3M standard (and derivatives). However, in 2021, the pace of modernization has significantly decreased - ARI considers this to be a consequence of the depletion of T-72B tanks that are subject to renewal. In the peak period, up to 300 tanks were modernized per year, then this number decreased to 120, and now it has dropped to zero. Instead, "Uralvagonzavod" focused on the production of T-90M, and to a large extent not new, but modernized from previous modifications of T-90.

According to ARI estimates, the Russian industry is able to produce about 390 tanks a year, including new, modernized and restored from storage bases. Russian sources call the numbers 700-800 tanks in 2022 and even 1,500 in 2023. At the same time, due to the sanctions, the quality of products is falling: those tanks that return to service must be equipped with thermal imagers, the parameters of which are close to those of the Cold War era devices.

At the time of the start of the full-scale aggression against Ukraine, the Russians had 2,987 tanks in service. According to data from Oryx, losses as of the beginning of 2024 amount to 2,619 tanks - 1,725 ​​destroyed, 145 damaged, 205 abandoned and 544 lost. In fact, this number is even higher, because not all losses fall on the oryx. In this situation, according to ARI experts, the only option for the development of events in 2024 for the Russian Federation is only prolonged stagnation at the front. This will make it possible to form a powerful tank fist - taking into account the prospects of increasing the annual output of T-90M at Uralvagonzavod to 250-300 machines and plans to resume production of T-80 at Omsktransmash. Other scenarios – the preservation of the current nature of hostilities or a successful Ukrainian offensive – will lead to further "shredding" of the aggressor's tank fleet.

https://mil.in.ua/uk/blogs/skilky-tankiv-zalyshylos-u-rosiyi/#google_vignette

The idea that Russia won't up their game when it comes to repair/replacement/new construction is naive. They have already placed their economy on a war footing, something the west has not embraced yet.

We need to get motivated now. We are, at a minimum, two years behind the curve. If the western leaders had listened to the Kremlin's rhetoric and took the "little green men" seriously almost a decade ago, we could have demolished Russia's notion that they could conquer Ukraine in a sleepwalk. Instead, we are watching these animals butcher, rape and plunder their neighbors and we trickle support like it's blood donation, just enough to keep the patient alive, not enough to make them healthy.

The gloves need to come off. We should start with Russia's far-flung proxies first. A MOAB or two on African mercenaries seems apropos. Once their longest tenacles have been severed, Syrian naval bases seem to be the next area of attention. Putin thinks he can do or say anything he likes, as if he has any sort of military capacity outside of his nuclear threat. He lacks everywhere, until he pushes the button.

He should know, without any doubt, that once he goes nuclear, he, his family, his nation is doomed.

Our embassy in Moscow (and any others in Russia) need to be abandoned and set on fire when we leave. I know intelligence is collected at these venues, but the truth has already been revealed and we are at war whether anybody else recognizes it or not.

V. Putin should drink the funny tasting tea and the world will be a better place once he does.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#27]

This is something I don't think enough people have realized. Russia may have gotten embarrassed in 2022, but they have since regrouped and show no signs of giving up their imperial conquest. As has been mentioned ad infinitum, their attempts at negotiations have rightfully been pegged as not being genuine, and it's clear that their goal is still Ukrainian and Western capitulation. Since Russia has pretty much switched to a war footing economy, the longer this conflict goes on, the stronger the Russian defense industry gets, and the larger its Army gets. I'd also argue that if Russia comes away with anything resembling a victory in Ukraine, they'll continue to build their defense industry and Army as fast as they can. At this point, they're committed to what they view as being a civilizational level struggle against the west. Meanwhile, we're barely two years into the conflict, and the west is talking about "war fatigue" in a conflict it isn't even actively participating in...

Europe does have some professional militaries and high tech defense industries, but their militaries are small, and they lack strategic depth. A number of people in the European defense community have said that their militaries don't have enough munitions to last even a week of high intensity conflict. There are signs that that's changing (e.g., Rheinmetall and BAE increasing munitions production), but it's not happening at a fast enough pace. It's one of the reasons why I laugh at the talking point that Russia isn't a threat to Europe because Europe's GDP dwarfs Russia's. It's also why I'm somewhat dubious of the idea that Poland alone could handle the Russian threat. Europe needs to get its shit together, given that US security "guarantees" to Europe are no longer looking like they are that in actuality...
View All Quotes

This is something I don't think enough people have realized. Russia may have gotten embarrassed in 2022, but they have since regrouped and show no signs of giving up their imperial conquest. As has been mentioned ad infinitum, their attempts at negotiations have rightfully been pegged as not being genuine, and it's clear that their goal is still Ukrainian and Western capitulation. Since Russia has pretty much switched to a war footing economy, the longer this conflict goes on, the stronger the Russian defense industry gets, and the larger its Army gets. I'd also argue that if Russia comes away with anything resembling a victory in Ukraine, they'll continue to build their defense industry and Army as fast as they can. At this point, they're committed to what they view as being a civilizational level struggle against the west. Meanwhile, we're barely two years into the conflict, and the west is talking about "war fatigue" in a conflict it isn't even actively participating in...

Europe does have some professional militaries and high tech defense industries, but their militaries are small, and they lack strategic depth. A number of people in the European defense community have said that their militaries don't have enough munitions to last even a week of high intensity conflict. There are signs that that's changing (e.g., Rheinmetall and BAE increasing munitions production), but it's not happening at a fast enough pace. It's one of the reasons why I laugh at the talking point that Russia isn't a threat to Europe because Europe's GDP dwarfs Russia's. It's also why I'm somewhat dubious of the idea that Poland alone could handle the Russian threat. Europe needs to get its shit together, given that US security "guarantees" to Europe are no longer looking like they are that in actuality...

Excellent point about Poland. They have about as much Soviet ere equipment as Ukraine had at the start. Their only chance is to fight alongside Ukraine. Together they could prevail. If they wait until Ukraine is whittled down and is over run then Poland faces the exact same fate. And if Poland falls NO ONE ELSE stands a chance unless the US somehow unfucks itself and goes all in with ESCALATION .

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Excellent point about Poland. They have about as much Soviet ere equipment as Ukraine had at the start. Their only chance is to fight alongside Ukraine. Together they could prevail. If they wait until Ukraine is whittled down and is over run then Poland faces the exact same fate. And if Poland falls NO ONE ELSE stands a chance unless the US somehow unfucks itself and goes all in with ESCALATION .

View All Quotes

At some point down the road, Poland might have a very strong land Army. However, it doesn't really have one now. We'll also have to see how many of the contracts actually wind up getting fulfilled, given that PiS is no longer dominant.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#29]
At Baikonur, ships were reactivated for launch to the ISS

The Progress MS-26 cargo ship and the manned Soyuz MS-25 have been in storage since 2023.

Specialists of the Rocket and Space Corporation Energia named after S.P. Korolev conducted an external inspection and checked the original condition of the on-board systems. The preparation of the tanks of the “Spring” system of the Progress MS-26 ship for filling with drinking water has begun. In the near future, test switching on of service equipment and comprehensive electrical tests of the Soyuz MS-25 spacecraft are planned.

“The launch of the Soyuz-2.1a launch vehicle with the Progress MS-26 spacecraft is planned for February 15, 2024. The launch of the Soyuz MS-25 spacecraft by the Soyuz-2.1a launch vehicle is scheduled for March 2024. The main crew of the 21st expedition includes Roscosmos cosmonaut Oleg Novitsky, space flight participant from the Republic of Belarus Marina Vasilevskaya and NASA astronaut Tracy Dyson,” Roscosmos reported.

https://t.me/orda_kz/73141

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:32:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#30]
Statement by Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III on Coalition Strikes in Houthi-Controlled Areas of Yemen

Jan. 11, 2024 |  

In light of the illegal, dangerous, and destabilizing Iranian-backed Houthi attacks against U.S. and international vessels and commercial vessels from many countries lawfully transiting the Red Sea, today the militaries of the United States and the United Kingdom, with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands, conducted strikes against military targets in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen. This action is intended to disrupt and degrade the Houthis' capabilities to endanger mariners and threaten global trade in one of the world's most critical waterways. Today's coalition action sends a clear message to the Houthis that they will bear further costs if they do not end their illegal attacks.

Today's strikes targeted sites associated with the Houthis' unmanned aerial vehicle, ballistic and cruise missile, and coastal radar and air surveillance capabilities. The United States maintains its right to self-defense and, if necessary, we will take follow-on actions to protect U.S. forces.

Since November 19, the Houthis have launched more than two dozen attacks on vessels, including commercial vessels, creating an international challenge that demands collective action. Today, a coalition of countries committed to upholding the rules-based international order demonstrated our shared commitment to defending U.S. and international vessels and commercial vessels exercising navigational rights and freedoms from illegal and unjustifiable attacks.

We will not hesitate to defend our forces, the global economy, and the free flow of legitimate commerce in one of the world's vital waterways.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3643830/statement-by-secretary-of-defense-lloyd-j-austin-iii-on-coalition-strikes-in-ho/
View Quote

On Jan. 11 at 2:30 a.m. (Sanaa time), U.S. Central Command forces, in coordination with the United Kingdom, and support from Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, and Bahrain conducted joint strikes on Houthi targets to degrade their capability to continue their illegal and reckless attacks on U.S. and international vessels and commercial shipping in the Red Sea. This multinational action targeted radar systems, air defense systems, and storage and launch sites for one way attack unmanned aerial systems, cruise missiles, and ballistic missiles.

Since Oct. 17, 2023, Iranian-backed Houthi militants have attempted to attack and harass 27 ships in international shipping lanes.  These illegal incidents include attacks that have employed anti-ship ballistic missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles and cruise missiles in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. These strikes have no association with and are separate from Operation Prosperity Guardian, a defensive coalition of over 20 countries operating in the Red Sea, Bab al-Mandeb Strait, and Gulf of Aden.

“We hold the Houthi militants and their destabilizing Iranian sponsors responsible for the illegal, indiscriminate, and reckless attacks on international shipping that have impacted 55 nations so far, including endangering the lives of hundreds of mariners, including the United States,” said General Michael Erik Kurilla, USCENTCOM Commander. “Their illegal and dangerous actions will not be tolerated, and they will be held accountable.”

McCaul Statement on Joint U.S.-U.K. Strike on Houthis

Press Release 01.11.24

Media Contact 202-226-8467

Washington, D.C. – House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Michael McCaul has released the following statement in response to joint U.S.-U.K. military action, supported by other allies and partners against the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen. Over the last three months, the Houthis launched at least 27 attacks on vessels transiting the region, including direct attacks on U.S. sailors, with little to no response.

“I was with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs this evening at his residence discussing the grave threat the Houthis’ attacks pose to both the U.S. military and commercial shipping in the Red Sea – and reiterating the importance of deterrence and of the Biden administration re-designating the Houthis as a Foreign Terrorist Organization – when the call came in to conduct the strikes. I’m pleased the president, in coordination with our allies, finally took action against the Iran-backed Houthis following weeks of instability in the Red Sea. Tonight, with these strikes, we are beginning to restore deterrence. The administration must acknowledge it was a mistake to rescind the Houthis designation as a Foreign Terrorist Organization, and re-list them immediately.”

###

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/press-release/mccaul-statement-on-joint-u-s-u-k-strike-on-houthis-2/
View Quote

Press release
PM statement on strikes against Houthi military targets: 12 January 2024

The Royal Air Force has carried out targeted strikes against military facilities used by Houthi rebels in Yemen.

The Royal Air Force has carried out targeted strikes against military facilities used by Houthi rebels in Yemen.

In recent months, the Houthi militia have carried out a series of dangerous and destabilising attacks against commercial shipping in the Red Sea, threatening UK and other international ships, causing major disruption to a vital trade route and driving up commodity prices. Their reckless actions are risking lives at sea and exacerbating the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.

Despite the repeated warnings from the international community, the Houthis have continued to carry out attacks in the Red Sea, including against UK and US warships just this week.

This cannot stand. The United Kingdom will always stand up for freedom of navigation and the free flow of trade. We have therefore taken limited, necessary and proportionate action in self-defence, alongside the United States with non-operational support from the Netherlands, Canada and Bahrain against targets tied to these attacks, to degrade Houthi military capabilities and protect global shipping.

The Royal Navy continues to patrol the Red Sea as part of the multinational Operation Prosperity Guardian to deter further Houthi aggression, and we urge them to cease their attacks and take steps to de-escalate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-statement-on-strikes-against-houthi-military-targets-12-january-2024
View Quote

Letter to Parliament on maritime safety of the Red Sea
Minister Bruins Slot (BZ) and Minister Ollongren (Defense) inform the House of Representatives about maritime safety in the Red Sea.

From the bombing of the airport #الحديدة a short while ago

Now new bombing and renewed raids around Hodeidah Airport

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Most people don't understand the MiG-29, it's an air superiority fighter designed to defend places like cities or military installations, a fast and small but short range dog fighter.

The F-16 evolved into a multi role fighter while the MiG-29 stayed basically the same with only small improvements.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Toybasher:
Will the F-16 have a decent advantage over the MiG-29 Ukraine and Russia already use?

I'm not an air power SME but my understanding is yes. Unfortunately the timeline and number of pilots and aircraft that should become available are limited. I believe Norway recently contributed 2 additional F-16s for the training last week.

I've read that the F16 as provided will be far superior to the decrepit MiG-29s but only peer with the Su-35 and its radar and missiles. And while any number is better than nothing, we are providing NONE and Europe a small number. Once you subtract the number needed for ongoing training and the average number down for maintenance it will be pretty small compared to the total aircraft Russia has deployed. Then factor in losses

Most people don't understand the MiG-29, it's an air superiority fighter designed to defend places like cities or military installations, a fast and small but short range dog fighter.

The F-16 evolved into a multi role fighter while the MiG-29 stayed basically the same with only small improvements.

The Mig-29 also has a modernized version called the Mig-35. However, the export contracts that it was developed for (India) never materialized, so there are not many of them around.

The F-16 should have the upper hand vs the Mig-29 in Ukraine because it is able to receive AWACS/data link from NATO aircraft and have better situational awareness. Mig-29 systems are comparatively more rudimentary. Success should come down to pilot training. It takes a long time to master complex systems.

The F-16 is a better fighter than the Mig-29 for beyond visual range combat. It should be able to shoot down a Mig-29 from farther away. Close range, the difference is smaller. So the Mig-29 would have to survive long enough to present a threat.

These days, Sukhoi is the best fighter that Russia has. The modernized Sukhois are no joke. They have AWACS/data link capability, good radar, long range missiles. Some of the newer models like Su-30MKI and variants have thrust vectoring and super maneuverability similar to the F-22. The modern Sukhois likely have the advantage vs the F-16 in dog fighting. If the Sukhoi is flown by an experienced pilot, which is a likely scenario, it can definitely score the kill.

That said, I do not think dog fighting will be a big factor over Ukraine. As long as Ukraine still has Patriots/IRIS-T, they will likely keep the Russian planes away and they will just lob missiles from far away. Likewise, Russian doctrine heavily builds on SAMs so the F-16s would have their hands full trying to just survive in the air space.

New Su-30SM Flanker-H Vs F-16C Viper | Beyond Visual Range | Digital Combat Simulator | DCS |

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:28:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#32]

I fixed it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sywagon:

Thanks for the links as always. This one goes back to the missing leg one - sounded interesting if you have the right link.

I fixed it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By strykr:

The Mig-29 also has a modernized version called the Mig-35. However, the export contracts that it was developed for (India) never materialized, so there are not many of them around.

The F-16 should have the upper hand vs the Mig-29 in Ukraine because it is able to receive AWACS/data link from NATO aircraft and have better situational awareness. Mig-29 systems are comparatively more rudimentary. Success should come down to pilot training. It takes a long time to master complex systems.

The F-16 is a better fighter than the Mig-29 for beyond visual range combat. It should be able to shoot down a Mig-29 from farther away. Close range, the difference is smaller. So the Mig-29 would have to survive long enough to present a threat.

These days, Sukhoi is the best fighter that Russia has. The modernized Sukhois are no joke. They have AWACS/data link capability, good radar, long range missiles. Some of the newer models like Su-30MKI and variants have thrust vectoring and super maneuverability similar to the F-22. The modern Sukhois likely have the advantage vs the F-16 in dog fighting. If the Sukhoi is flown by an experienced pilot, which is a likely scenario, it can definitely score the kill.

That said, I do not think dog fighting will be a big factor over Ukraine. As long as Ukraine still has Patriots/IRIS-T, they will likely keep the Russian planes away and they will just lob missiles from far away. Likewise, Russian doctrine heavily builds on SAMs so the F-16s would have their hands full trying to just survive in the air space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCEYFYJsUWM

View All Quotes
Will the F-16 have a decent advantage over the MiG-29 Ukraine and Russia already use?

I'm not an air power SME but my understanding is yes. Unfortunately the timeline and number of pilots and aircraft that should become available are limited. I believe Norway recently contributed 2 additional F-16s for the training last week.

I've read that the F16 as provided will be far superior to the decrepit MiG-29s but only peer with the Su-35 and its radar and missiles. And while any number is better than nothing, we are providing NONE and Europe a small number. Once you subtract the number needed for ongoing training and the average number down for maintenance it will be pretty small compared to the total aircraft Russia has deployed. Then factor in losses

The problem with Russian planes is avionics. Radar technology is not as good as the west. This affects everything, including Su-35s. Their missile technology seems to suffer as well. We've seen Su-34s do low level Vietnam style bomb runs on tree lines. We don't do that anymore. We do proper SEAD, then drop a GBU/JDAM from high altitude.

Russia doesn't really have many targetting pods. So while their planes can carry similar weapons they don't have enough pods or smart weapons to go around. They do seem to have a fair amount of cruise missiles, but their AGM-65 and AGM-88 counterparts are seemingly poor in comparison.

It would be like having 100 rifles, but only 200 magazines and 10000 rounds of ammo for them.

As for MIG-35s, last I heard Egypt wasn't too happy with them. Even India is not happy with the MIG-29K and wants to retire them already.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

The problem with Russian planes is avionics. Radar technology is not as good as the west. This affects everything, including Su-35s. Their missile technology seems to suffer as well. We've seen Su-34s do low level Vietnam style bomb runs on tree lines. We don't do that anymore. We do proper SEAD, then drop a GBU/JDAM from high altitude.

Russia doesn't really have many targetting pods. So while their planes can carry similar weapons they don't have enough pods or smart weapons to go around. They do seem to have a fair amount of cruise missiles, but their AGM-65 and AGM-88 counterparts are seemingly poor in comparison.

It would be like having 100 rifles, but only 200 magazines and 10000 rounds of ammo for them.

As for MIG-35s, last I heard Egypt wasn't too happy with them. Even India is not happy with the MIG-29K and wants to retire them already.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

I was reading up on the -29K, and India lost 3 of 16 to accidents in the last 3 years.
There were also reports Russia was trying to refurb retired Mig-29s.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Here is an interesting video on detecting drones, specifically mavic. Counter battery can hit the controller using the coordinates received from the drone.
DJI Drone Hacking Using Software Defined Radio ANTSDR E200
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#37]

I was reading up on the -29K, and India lost 3 of 16 to accidents in the last 3 years.
There were also reports Russia was trying to refurb retired Mig-29s.
View Quote

I’ve heard that just flying the 29 requires most of a pilots cognitive ability. Let alone fighting in them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Who is winning and who is losing?
I didn’t say they have to be nice, but they have to be competent.  Democratic leadership in the House is quite obviously far more competent than Republican leadership.  They have tighter control over their people and know how to close ranks.  The Dems have their members too, who would like to throw Ukraine under the bus, but you don’t hear much from them.  Why?  Because their leadership told them to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.
The Republican house was absolutely outmaneuvered by the dems, whose strategy was to hand the republicans all the rope they needed to hang themselves.  “Look!  It’s free rope!”  And the so-called hard-core Republicans accepted it because they were too fucking stupid to figure that out.
View All Quotes

Why are we always held to higher standards? The Dems elects hundreds to poo-flinging chimps. It's why we're in this current disaster.

I didn’t say they have to be nice, but they have to be competent.  Democratic leadership in the House is quite obviously far more competent than Republican leadership.  They have tighter control over their people and know how to close ranks.  The Dems have their members too, who would like to throw Ukraine under the bus, but you don’t hear much from them.  Why?  Because their leadership told them to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.
The Republican house was absolutely outmaneuvered by the dems, whose strategy was to hand the republicans all the rope they needed to hang themselves.  “Look!  It’s free rope!”  And the so-called hard-core Republicans accepted it because they were too fucking stupid to figure that out.

f**n A right. Nancy Pelosi was a horrible witch, BUT she knew how to keep her troops in line. Republicans cannot govern when they have power, they can not come together, and the majority of them seem to be worthless idiots. I am in dismay.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:53:55 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Why are we always held to higher standards? The Dems elects hundreds to poo-flinging chimps. It's why we're in this current disaster.

And that clusterfuck of eight Rs were too stupid to realize the only R that would ever get elected with the help of the Dems would be one that guarantees a shit show for the Rs. How was that so hard to see?  

The Dems will keep playing the division in the Rs for maximum humiliation. Hold out a carrot for compromise and after the Ts burn a couple of months, yank it back under some pretense.

Go ahead Charlie Brown (Johnson) kick the football a mile!  I’ll hold it for you so those RINOS don’t take it from you.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:00:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot with a bazooka.

Ukraine better figure that out pronto or their support from others will dry up faster. Are you in a fucking existential war or not?  

Of course you are, as is Europe. But if YOU can’t convince yourselves then good luck convincing other countries. Other border nations don’t need convincing but the big players who are more buffered damn well need it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#41]

Whatever spending bill they propose saves peanuts (if anything) compared to the total deficit. Saving millions or a few billions versus an average 1.5 trillion? Spending more n the border? How many pork chops were/will be added to get votes?

If they are not balancing the budget then STFU about fiscal responsibility. A balanced budget actilually was a thing in my life time. Since 1999 it has become a joke. Quit blathering about something you have no fucking intent to solve materially.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Wow such a move was real rocket science to figure out. Good thing we have 20 nations with row boats to help us unravel this great mystery how and when to respond THREE MONTHS later!  Hopefully Iran doesn’t use mean words and scare everyone back to memo writing.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#43]

And that clusterfuck of eight Rs were too stupid to realize the only R that would ever get elected with the help of the Dems would be one that guarantees a shit show for the Rs. How was that so hard to see?  

The Dems will keep playing the division in the Rs for maximum humiliation. Hold out a carrot for compromise and after the Ts burn a couple of months, yank it back under some pretense.

Go ahead Charlie Brown (Johnson) kick the football a mile!  I’ll hold it for you so those RINOS don’t take it from you.

View All Quotes

LOL.  Exactly.  One doesn’t have to like the dems, or a Republican like McConnell, to understand they know how to play the game.
November is going to be bad and we deserve it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:27:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit8472] [#46]
View Quote

Reminds me of a passage from the book Shifty’s War from E Company 506 PIR 101st Airborne where a dud lands beside them and he thanks whatever forced laborer making the round did their job for the war effort by making the round a dud.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:42:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Currently:

lol.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDmWIlnXEAAzBOk?format=jpg&name=900x900

View All Quotes

Currently:

lol.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDmWIlnXEAAzBOk?format=jpg&name=900x900

Were damn lucky continental drift didn’t move Yemen out of range while Blinken was writing really really serious memos.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#48]

At some point down the road, Poland might have a very strong land Army. However, it doesn't really have one now. We'll also have to see how many of the contracts actually wind up getting fulfilled, given that PiS is no longer dominant.
View All Quotes

Exactly. Poland should just jump the shark and go hot with Russia and fight tooth and nail with Ukraine. It is their best chance at survival. They have seen how timid the US is even when directly attacked. Fuck that shit. Fight now or die later watching eastern Poland pulverized like Ukraine cities. Nobody is coming to save you in time.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#49]
At Baikonur, ships were reactivated for launch to the ISS

The Progress MS-26 cargo ship and the manned Soyuz MS-25 have been in storage since 2023.

Specialists of the Rocket and Space Corporation Energia named after S.P. Korolev conducted an external inspection and checked the original condition of the on-board systems. The preparation of the tanks of the “Spring” system of the Progress MS-26 ship for filling with drinking water has begun. In the near future, test switching on of service equipment and comprehensive electrical tests of the Soyuz MS-25 spacecraft are planned.

“The launch of the Soyuz-2.1a launch vehicle with the Progress MS-26 spacecraft is planned for February 15, 2024. The launch of the Soyuz MS-25 spacecraft by the Soyuz-2.1a launch vehicle is scheduled for March 2024. The main crew of the 21st expedition includes Roscosmos cosmonaut Oleg Novitsky, space flight participant from the Republic of Belarus Marina Vasilevskaya and NASA astronaut Tracy Dyson,” Roscosmos reported.

https://t.me/orda_kz/73141

View Quote

WTAF???  A NASA astronaut is going up with fucking terrorist Russians?!  Hostage reception committee pick up the red courtesy phone. Hostage reception committee to the red commie courtesy phone.

This clown show is so pathetic I’m crying.

WTAF. How much are we paying the Russians to hold one of our astronauts captive in space?

As retarded as the Republicans are, Biden says Hold my beer and watch this!!!!

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:01:47 AM EDT
[#50]

On Jan. 11 at 2:30 a.m. (Sanaa time), U.S. Central Command forces, in coordination with the United Kingdom, and support from Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, and Bahrain conducted joint strikes on Houthi targets to degrade their capability to continue their illegal and reckless attacks on U.S. and international vessels and commercial shipping in the Red Sea. This multinational action targeted radar systems, air defense systems, and storage and launch sites for one way attack unmanned aerial systems, cruise missiles, and ballistic missiles.

Since Oct. 17, 2023, Iranian-backed Houthi militants have attempted to attack and harass 27 ships in international shipping lanes.  These illegal incidents include attacks that have employed anti-ship ballistic missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles and cruise missiles in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. These strikes have no association with and are separate from Operation Prosperity Guardian, a defensive coalition of over 20 countries operating in the Red Sea, Bab al-Mandeb Strait, and Gulf of Aden.

“We hold the Houthi militants and their destabilizing Iranian sponsors responsible for the illegal, indiscriminate, and reckless attacks on international shipping that have impacted 55 nations so far, including endangering the lives of hundreds of mariners, including the United States,” said General Michael Erik Kurilla, USCENTCOM Commander. “Their illegal and dangerous actions will not be tolerated, and they will be held accountable.”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDnIzTkXwAAmCVB?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDnI0VYWYAAMDdA?format=jpg&name=medium
Minister Bruins Slot (BZ) and Minister Ollongren (Defense) inform the House of Representatives about maritime safety in the Red Sea.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDnHM-CWgAAVQ4-?format=jpg&name=large

View All Quotes
Statement by Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III on Coalition Strikes in Houthi-Controlled Areas of Yemen

Jan. 11, 2024 |  

In light of the illegal, dangerous, and destabilizing Iranian-backed Houthi attacks against U.S. and international vessels and commercial vessels from many countries lawfully transiting the Red Sea, today the militaries of the United States and the United Kingdom, with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands, conducted strikes against military targets in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen. This action is intended to disrupt and degrade the Houthis' capabilities to endanger mariners and threaten global trade in one of the world's most critical waterways. Today's coalition action sends a clear message to the Houthis that they will bear further costs if they do not end their illegal attacks.

Today's strikes targeted sites associated with the Houthis' unmanned aerial vehicle, ballistic and cruise missile, and coastal radar and air surveillance capabilities. The United States maintains its right to self-defense and, if necessary, we will take follow-on actions to protect U.S. forces.

Since November 19, the Houthis have launched more than two dozen attacks on vessels, including commercial vessels, creating an international challenge that demands collective action. Today, a coalition of countries committed to upholding the rules-based international order demonstrated our shared commitment to defending U.S. and international vessels and commercial vessels exercising navigational rights and freedoms from illegal and unjustifiable attacks.

We will not hesitate to defend our forces, the global economy, and the free flow of legitimate commerce in one of the world's vital waterways.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3643830/statement-by-secretary-of-defense-lloyd-j-austin-iii-on-coalition-strikes-in-ho/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDnIzTkXwAAmCVB?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDnI0VYWYAAMDdA?format=jpg&name=medium

McCaul Statement on Joint U.S.-U.K. Strike on Houthis

Press Release 01.11.24

Media Contact 202-226-8467

Washington, D.C. – House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Michael McCaul has released the following statement in response to joint U.S.-U.K. military action, supported by other allies and partners against the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen. Over the last three months, the Houthis launched at least 27 attacks on vessels transiting the region, including direct attacks on U.S. sailors, with little to no response.

“I was with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs this evening at his residence discussing the grave threat the Houthis’ attacks pose to both the U.S. military and commercial shipping in the Red Sea – and reiterating the importance of deterrence and of the Biden administration re-designating the Houthis as a Foreign Terrorist Organization – when the call came in to conduct the strikes. I’m pleased the president, in coordination with our allies, finally took action against the Iran-backed Houthis following weeks of instability in the Red Sea. Tonight, with these strikes, we are beginning to restore deterrence. The administration must acknowledge it was a mistake to rescind the Houthis designation as a Foreign Terrorist Organization, and re-list them immediately.”

###

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/press-release/mccaul-statement-on-joint-u-s-u-k-strike-on-houthis-2/

Press release
PM statement on strikes against Houthi military targets: 12 January 2024

In recent months, the Houthi militia have carried out a series of dangerous and destabilising attacks against commercial shipping in the Red Sea, threatening UK and other international ships, causing major disruption to a vital trade route and driving up commodity prices. Their reckless actions are risking lives at sea and exacerbating the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.

Despite the repeated warnings from the international community, the Houthis have continued to carry out attacks in the Red Sea, including against UK and US warships just this week.

This cannot stand. The United Kingdom will always stand up for freedom of navigation and the free flow of trade. We have therefore taken limited, necessary and proportionate action in self-defence, alongside the United States with non-operational support from the Netherlands, Canada and Bahrain against targets tied to these attacks, to degrade Houthi military capabilities and protect global shipping.

The Royal Navy continues to patrol the Red Sea as part of the multinational Operation Prosperity Guardian to deter further Houthi aggression, and we urge them to cease their attacks and take steps to de-escalate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-statement-on-strikes-against-houthi-military-targets-12-january-2024

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDnHM-CWgAAVQ4-?format=jpg&name=large

This late in response were any Houthis left in Yemen? Or all they all in Dubai on post-mission vacation?

This is like the gang that shows up to the midnight rumble at 8am and starts shooting up the hood. Like dude, the party is over and we’re catching some Zs. There’s nobody in the bar you just shot up. You got here just before the next ice age, great timing.

Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5268 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top