Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5331 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
. Video…

View Quote

russian civilian aviation has been lucky so far. they are due for a, lack of maintenance induced, catastrophic accident.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Video of the attack here:

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Has someone done this video yet of back blast to the face?

Boris, don’t fire yet, let me mo…

Never mind, I’m dead.

View Quote

the dude misinterpreted the concept of photobomb.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

The Soviets bled us plenty in Vietnam, they were never worried about escalation. They sent their latest and greatest Migs and SAMs and “advisors” to run the SAM systems that’s why our guys were forbidden
To attack them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Agreed. And how many B52's got shot down by Russian SAMs in Vietnam...

The Soviets bled us plenty in Vietnam, they were never worried about escalation. They sent their latest and greatest Migs and SAMs and “advisors” to run the SAM systems that’s why our guys were forbidden
To attack them.

I wouldn't use the word forbidden. We did bomb the north. Of course this caused them to bury Oil and gas supply lines. There wasn't a huge benefit to bombing Northern targets, there wasn't much industry to destroy. They were being supplied by russia and china. The SAM's and Migs's made it so costly that there wasn't much strategic value.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that tank explodes spectacularly.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:

I wouldn't use the word forbidden. We did bomb the north. Of course this caused them to bury Oil and gas supply lines. There wasn't a huge benefit to bombing Northern targets, there wasn't much industry to destroy. They were being supplied by russia and china. The SAM's and Migs's made it so costly that there wasn't much strategic value.
View Quote

iirc some targets in the North were allowed while MANY were off limits. I believe tactical targets (SAM sights, etc) were good while strategic targets (obvious Russian and Chines troops, advisors and assets and anything that would help cripple the North) were off-limits. Not as inept as today's hands-off tactics but the same lineage.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View Quote

Yeah, no thanks. Muslim-Brotherhood Turkey should keep their S400 trash...
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

It's a T72M with an upgraded engine and armor. It's a good tank made though the early 90s.
View Quote
Its not bad for the war it may fight right now. It still can't reverse for shit and has a less than great reloading time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
T72, they may have better armor.
View Quote

Thanks. Better than I thought. And better than 31 Abrams (turrets still in travel lock per ROE).

The UA could make use of 100 Sherman M4's and it would be epic to see them supporting a trench landing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

M84s are Yugoslav/Croatian made t72 tanks.

View Quote

Thank you sir and also to the other SME posters.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By brahm:

russian civilian aviation has been lucky so far. they are due for a, lack of maintenance induced, catastrophic accident.
View Quote

It’s likely started. Both engines failed.
There were allegedly other factors, but there would be if you were trying to maintain confidence in your shitty fleet.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Thanks. Better than I thought. And better than 31 Abrams (turrets still in travel lock per ROE).

The UA could make use of 100 Sherman M4's and it would be epic to see them supporting a trench landing.
View Quote
If they can communicate with Bradley and western stuff they could become very useful.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Yep, once Ukraine is in NATO, we can just change the country on these and get them upgraded to them.  Eventually.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Prime:

There were allegedly other factors, but there would be if you were trying to maintain confidence in your shitty fleet.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEWtboJawAAPmDK?format=jpg&name=medium
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brahm:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEWtboJawAAPmDK?format=jpg&name=medium
some of the other factors:

https://t.me/astrapress/47142?single

The pilots of the business jet that crashed over Afghanistan did not have the right to fly it

Now the pilot certificates of Dmitry Belyakov and Arkady Grachev have been canceled - they allegedly falsified training documents, Izvestia reports, citing a source in the American training center.

There were six people on board the crashed plane, including the businessman spouses Evsyukovs from Volgodonsk, who died. Near the border with Tajikistan, the plane's engines failed and it collided with a mountain. The pilots and doctors on board survived.

A criminal case has been opened.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#17]
lol.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Old footage, but people wonder how the helicopter and aircraft unguided rocket lobbing works on enemy positions.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]

"A Russian soldier calls his brother and says that they are held prisoner by Ukrainian drones.
The AFU has already destroyed almost all the equipment and they are only able to move only on foot.
However, moving on foot is very dangerous because the Ukrainians have so many drones that they even hit single targets with them.
In addition, according the soldier, the Ukrainians use heavy drones - “Baba Yagas”, which drop artillery shells and anti-tank mines on the trenches and dugouts of the Russians.
Because of this, the soldier is constantly in fear and does not feel safe anywhere.
According to him, they are nothing more than guinea pigs on which NATO tests all its latest technologies, and they cannot do anything about it.
The occupier doubts that he will be able to survive at least until spring." -- "Radio Operator"
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Conversations are intensifying that “either there is a truce before March 1, or we are going to storm Odessa and Nikolaev.” It sounds as if you were called to headquarters, stood in front of respected scroungers and asked: “Are you in your mouth or in your ass?” The choice between a “truce” and a “great military campaign” looks exactly like this.
The main problem of the “truce” is that there will be nothing of “peace” there. But the worst thing is that during the “truce” failures will be declared “successes”, after which the guilty will be rewarded and conclusions drawn strictly opposite from those necessary. I’m not saying that this hasn’t happened to us at all (with awards and conclusions), I’m even inclined to think that sometimes in our history this really hasn’t happened, for a short time and by accident, and the rest of the time that’s exactly what happened. But the scale of current mistakes and miscalculations probably has no analogues in our entire history. And to present these miscalculations as victories means dooming us to destruction. From this point of view, a “truce” in the form of an agreement (there can be no other way) is worse than defeat, because with defeat at least mistakes are admitted and non-working strategies are revised.

Second option. A large offensive campaign is impossible with current resources. Or rather, it is possible, but with it it will be impossible to maintain at least some semblance of strength and means in the end. Big mobilization? We discard it right away, because it is unrealistic. And China will not give Lend-Lease. In principle, our technology is getting worse, because in terms of quantitative and qualitative indicators, we were at our peak on February 24, 2022.

I’ll especially note the conversations (my favorite ones) about “what the army wants.” The army, if it is an army, wants what it is ordered to do. Otherwise, the “army” wants booze, vacations, positions and the whole package of immorality, wrapped up in something explanatory for the sake of decency. “Fighters, if you want, you can run off to storm the military somewhere.” Civilians will be surprised, but this doesn’t happen in the army. It's a shame, right?

But if you need to make sure that “the army wants”, for example, the same agreement (or “truce”), then such a desire can be achieved in an elementary way: let’s put equipment (especially new) aside, and go ahead, storm Nikolaev and Zaporozhye . And we will cross the Dnieper. With moral support instead of air support and saving on artillery. We will conduct reconnaissance during the offensive.

Two days of such “attack actions” - and the mood, so to speak, will begin to form in the army. In a week, the army will be left with nothing but sentiments. Then the “truce” will look like a completely tolerable option.

Therefore, I am not interested in this choice. Another thing is that the one who needs it is not interested, which is not interesting to me. And therefore, such turns cannot be ruled out.

A special greeting to the optimists who are now trying to throw their hats in the air higher than they did in Kyiv before the counter-offensive. Yes, we fought back. Yes, there is a heroic feat in this. And a heroic feat is the result of negligence, chaos and mistakes of those who are a little higher in rank. But there is no reason for objective joy. Because if Zhukov had joyfully reported to Stalin that “in a lightning-fast two-year raid we took an important village,” then the story of the glorious marshal would have reached us in a very different form. And if you count Marinka or Artemovsk as a percentage of losses from the total potential of the army, then even Kramatorsk and Slavyansk you will immediately want to count. Of the large cities after the blitzkrieg, we have only Kherson (although they surrendered, but did not take), Rostov and Voronezh (successfully captured from Wagner, with almost no losses). Well, this is kind of the result, not the best. So if anyone has gone into blank optimism, then take with you the red lines and the understanding that we have not yet seriously begun anything.

To tell the truth, our strategy is incomprehensible even to ourselves. This is convenient: without a victory strategy, everything can be passed off as victory, and spies will not be able to get hold of our main military secret. But there is one caveat. Two years of fighting without a strategy is already a record; we have no one else to compete with in this regard. But people are proud of their virginity at 16-18 years old, and not at 70-80 years old. Until there is a clear, understandable strategy, there will be no hope for positivity.

https://t.me/shouvalov/174

Basically none of the losses sustained are worth the territory conquered.

This is notable because even Russian military commentators acknowledge what folks have said what a lot of folks have been saying.

Losing hundreds of thousands of men to add new “people’s republics” when the plan was to conquer the entire country wasn’t worth it
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By yekimak:
some of the other factors:

https://t.me/astrapress/47142?single

The pilots of the business jet that crashed over Afghanistan did not have the right to fly it

Now the pilot certificates of Dmitry Belyakov and Arkady Grachev have been canceled - they allegedly falsified training documents, Izvestia reports, citing a source in the American [training center.

There were six people on board the crashed plane, including the businessman spouses Evsyukovs from Volgodonsk, who died. Near the border with Tajikistan, the plane's engines failed and it collided with a mountain. The pilots and doctors on board survived.

A criminal case has been opened.

View Quote

Okay, that would be a factor  

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Tell me again how many tungsten balls are in one of those cluster shells.

For every dust puff in the circle there are how many more pieces not seen?

thnx
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#24]

YPR-765, Dutch variant of the M113, captured by Orcs in the Bakhmut region, Ukraine, on 28 Jan 2024
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I'm not an SME, I'm just a connoisseur of soviet vehicles.

They're my favorites ever since I saw them in the "World military power" book my dad brought home from McDonnel Douglass in the 80s.

One of my day dreams if I won the powerball was to buy those m84s, have them rebuilt in Poland to T72M1R standards, and keep the nicest one for myself

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Some Russian urban combat drills

???????? ?????? ? ?????????

????????????? ??????? - ????????? ??????????????

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Capta:

He probably had some expectations that because he was a made man (FSB) he could get away with more.  And he got a little too used to the ideas of “rights” that don’t exist in Russia.  Also, perhaps because he’s a Tsarist he felt that that whatever standards existed for open discussion in Tsarist times would apply to him, instead of the standards that existed in Soviet times.
He’s an interesting guy and I’ll miss hearing his perspective, but I have zero sympathy for him.
View All Quotes
More Girkin/“Strelkov”

❗️ANNOUNCEMENT❗️Igor Strelkov was sentenced to 4 years in prison on charges of extremism. The channel “Contrary to Censorship” is preparing in the near future an exclusive online interview with Igor Ivanovich’s lawyer-Alexander Molokhov (Chairman of the ICA “Last Watch”, head of the Working Group on International Legal Issues at the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Crimea to the President of the Russian Federation in 2017-2021)
In the meantime, we received Igor Strelkov’s answers to the channel’s questions.

🚩V.Ts.-How do you see the prospects for the existence of Ukrainian identity - how likely is it that in the future it will transform into Novorossiysk, Little Russian and Galician?

🚩I.S.-Ukraine in its current form cannot and will not exist no matter the outcome of the war. Little Russian and Galician identities already exist de facto. The first of them is almost identical to the Russian one, and the second is the most distant from it. In 2014, the formation of a Novorossiysk identity could begin if it gained independence. Now there are two options – complete merger with Russian or genocide and absorption into “pseudo-Ukrainian” identity. The result depends on the outcome of the war.

https://t.me/voprekicenzure/72

🚩 V.Ts. - You criticized some aspects of the conduct of the SVO. Do you think that this could worsen the motivation and morale of the SVO participants?

🚩 I.S. - No, I don’t think so. What worsens the motivation of soldiers and officers fighting at the front is the fact that fair criticism is ignored. It was precisely at the elimination of negative phenomena, known to the participants of the SVO much better than to me, that my criticism was aimed, for which I was put behind bars by the enemies of the country.

🚩V.Ts.- To what extent are restrictions in the field of freedom of speech and opinion justified during the SVO?

🚩I.S. - I now have neither the right nor the authority to competently discuss this topic.

https://t.me/voprekicenzure/74

🚩V.Ts.- How do you perceive the concept of “extremism”? To what extent are there objective criteria for recognizing someone as an “extremist”?

🚩I.S. - In my opinion, this concept has a purely abstract character, without clear semantic content, and is used in modern practice according to the old Russian proverb “the law is what the drawbar is, where it turned and it came out.”

https://t.me/voprekicenzure/75

Being somewhat of an inside man it is sort of amazing that Girkin has any expectation however low for law and order, righteousness and service to country to win any merit. You are a hit man for an organized crime syndicate known as Russia that lives by the rule of kleptocracy and lies. How did you ever expect things to go well? Or even “fair?”

He probably had some expectations that because he was a made man (FSB) he could get away with more.  And he got a little too used to the ideas of “rights” that don’t exist in Russia.  Also, perhaps because he’s a Tsarist he felt that that whatever standards existed for open discussion in Tsarist times would apply to him, instead of the standards that existed in Soviet times.
He’s an interesting guy and I’ll miss hearing his perspective, but I have zero sympathy for him.

Yes, all these competent Russian patriots need get Russian good and hard. He even says he is not likely to survive the four years. Mother Russia, you are such a bitch. Igor, enjoy all you fought for to the max!

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#28]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCM3ZGW4AEbC7H?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCNEWIXQAEDKUG?format=jpg&name=largehttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCNEWHWcAADo0J?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCO3EVWcAAQpUO?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPNBcWgAAFRY9?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPWjFXwAApA2I?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPhsFXcAAdVXC?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPk1uXAAECXu3?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCP61uXQAA_0sJ?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQCh-X0AAsi53?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQINMXwAA4L3i?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQM-AWcAAO2qh?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQQ_8WAAIlQfC?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQbDtXEAAkrzx?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQi3-W8AARZKL?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCRB-AXsAAMTYT?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I have no sense of style but that's one ugly ass compound. Totally out of place for the location.

What a waste of resources.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA7LZgX21sg

Latest assessment from Col. Reisner. English subtitels are available.  

View Quote

He really highlights the disparity of drone production. The West apparently has not taken the reality of FPV drones to heart. After a year of intense use is there a single defense manufacturer, let alone several, that have jumped into producing 100,00 or 50,000 or even 10,000 drones per month? Including the engine and electronics?  Has a single western nation even asked its defense contractors to come up with designs and production plans for such?

As he points out, the West is still far behind the curve on artillery shells. NOBODY in power is taking it seriously this is the start of WW3 unless Russia is stopped decisively now. They are all thinking post-Ukraine as if that is some normal world state much like today!!!

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Very little and mostly inferred from a couple of videos.
One video shot at night showed a HAWK launch and immediately malfunction.  In the light of the launch/explosion, you could see a previous missile smoke trail that angled up, then back down toward the water fairly close, indicating a previous malfunction wasn’t shown.  Then there was a (likely) third launch which worked and hit a target in the distance.  The video was clearly shot on the Odesa coast looking out onto the Black Sea.
A later video showed one or two hits with no obvious malfunctions.
The combination of zero info the whole war, and a video with two malfunctions out of three, and showing that they are probably only willing to fire it out over the Black Sea indicates it’s probably somewhat dangerous to the user.  IIRC Zelensky also said something publicly about a donated SAM system not working.
Maybe they’re getting to the point they can get some utility out of it without it killing anyone.
I happen to think it would be a good idea to helicopter a battery out to snake island to try to spring a SAMbush on the Russians.  If it gets bombed, who cares.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
Ok, now can I play the Fico card?  
Who is he afraid of that he needs a Patriot system? Surely not his pal Putin?! NATO!?

I must have a flash of prophecy when I first read SLOVENIA but thought SLOVAKIA!  Here we are at last.

Maybe we could get them some HAWKs from Greece instead.

Have you read or found any feedback from Ukraine regarding the HAWK's battlefield performance?

Very little and mostly inferred from a couple of videos.
One video shot at night showed a HAWK launch and immediately malfunction.  In the light of the launch/explosion, you could see a previous missile smoke trail that angled up, then back down toward the water fairly close, indicating a previous malfunction wasn’t shown.  Then there was a (likely) third launch which worked and hit a target in the distance.  The video was clearly shot on the Odesa coast looking out onto the Black Sea.
A later video showed one or two hits with no obvious malfunctions.
The combination of zero info the whole war, and a video with two malfunctions out of three, and showing that they are probably only willing to fire it out over the Black Sea indicates it’s probably somewhat dangerous to the user.  IIRC Zelensky also said something publicly about a donated SAM system not working.
Maybe they’re getting to the point they can get some utility out of it without it killing anyone.
I happen to think it would be a good idea to helicopter a battery out to snake island to try to spring a SAMbush on the Russians.  If it gets bombed, who cares.

Sounds perfect for Fico!  Send it!

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#32]

They're my favorites ever since I saw them in the "World military power" book my dad brought home from McDonnel Douglass in the 80s.

One of my day dreams if I won the powerball was to buy those m84s, have them rebuilt in Poland to T72M1R standards, and keep the nicest one for myself

View All Quotes

I used to get hand-me-downs of Jane's Defence quarterlies when I was a kid, that's where I got hooked.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#33]

He really highlights the disparity of drone production. The West apparently has not taken the reality of FPV drones to heart. After a year of intense use is there a single defense manufacturer, let alone several, that have jumped into producing 100,00 or 50,000 or even 10,000 drones per month? Including the engine and electronics?  Has a single western nation even asked its defense contractors to come up with designs and production plans for such?

As he points out, the West is still far behind the curve on artillery shells. NOBODY in power is taking it seriously this is the start of WW3 unless Russia is stopped decisively now. They are all thinking post-Ukraine as if that is some normal world state much like today!!!

View Quote

The collective west, with few exceptions is whistling past the graveyard.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#34]
Originally Posted By doc540:

thnx
View All Quotes

thnx

In this case, they aren't tungsten pellets.  This is old 70's and 80's technology.  It is a small grenade like munition that has some capability to penetrate armor, and a fragmentation.  So each bomblet throws frag around in a random manner.

M483A1 155mm Dual-Purpose Improved Conventional Munition (DPICM)

Now the new stuff, we can make standard 155mm with "Enhanced Lethality"  Which means we can put on a jacket of 100,000 tungsten pellets to increase the effect of a standard HE round, or make new submunitions, there are options.  Very similar to the tungsten version of the Himars round vs. the standard version.

Also, we can put a precision guidance fuze on each shell to make them guided, almost like an Excalibur round, so we don't need nearly as many rounds to kill the target.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-army-looking-for-new-long-range-precision-artillery-ammunition-2023-9

C-DAEM shells are expected to be autonomous, using on-board sensors to detect, identify, and home in on targets rather than relying on GPS signals, which can be jammed, or a human observer tasked with the difficult and dangerous task of painting the target with a laser designator.

If it works as designed, a C-DAEM round could be launched into a high-traffic area deep in enemy territory to hunt armor or be used closer to the front to support friendly troops.

A 2017 Army request for information required "the projectile and its payload to operate in GPS Denied/Degraded conditions and perform in high target location error (TLE) environments."

A 2018 Army notice specified the round should be able to reach ranges of roughly 14 miles to 81 miles on "a modern, high-intensity battlefield" and be "capable of defeating stationary and moving armored vehicles" that "may be poorly located (target location error of 50-2000 meters) or moving."

The round should be able to defeat an armored vehicle's mobility or ability to fire "across the full range of environmental conditions and in the presence of cyber, jamming, and obscurant countermeasures," the 2018 notice said.

You guys are worried about us making enough toy drones while we fire 80 mile range smart artillery that identifies and goes after the targets on its own.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

This is the DOD's horse: https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3657609/defense-innovation-official-says-replicator-initiative-remains-on-track/

I don't know if it makes sense to invest heavily in future FPV design and production. We may see a sharp decrease in the utility of FPV drones before this war ends. Autonomous drones are going to make them obsolete.

I have faith in the MIC.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#36]

iirc some targets in the North were allowed while MANY were off limits. I believe tactical targets (SAM sights, etc) were good while strategic targets (obvious Russian and Chines troops, advisors and assets and anything that would help cripple the North) were off-limits. Not as inept as today's hands-off tactics but the same lineage.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:

Plus they were often limited to fixed infiltration routes which made it easy for NV to concentrate SAM and MiGs. The Navuly and Air Gorce were severely hamstrung regarding the North, as well as supply routes and bases in other countries. You aren’t neutral if you allow a combatant to use your country as a supply route and depots. Same tactic Russia uses today to get countries taken off the NATO board as “neutral” but still aiding Russia with banking, matériels, and diplomatic cover. For some reason the US play along and follows the Russian rules while Russia break every rule at its convenience.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#37]

They had those on the coast of florida during the cuban missile crisis.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By METT-T:

This is the DOD's horse: https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3657609/defense-innovation-official-says-replicator-initiative-remains-on-track/

I don't know if it makes sense to invest heavily in future FPV design and production. We may see a sharp decrease in the utility of FPV drones before this war ends. Autonomous drones are going to make them obsolete.

I have faith in the MIC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By METT-T:

I have faith in the MIC.

This, plus our strategy to war fighting is different than what we are seeing in Ukraine.  Own space, own the sky, dominate land and sea, network everything so everybody knows what is going on.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I hope that is actual fact and not more of the Euro boasting with fractional follow through as in 2023. Great news if true.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#40]

thnx
View Quote

Zero. If they're DPICM they have HEDP bomblettes which are basically 40mm grenade rounds. They work great against massed vehicles but not so great against infantry. Basic ass HE artillery set to air burst would be the much better choice against infantry
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

"A Russian soldier calls his brother and says that they are held prisoner by Ukrainian drones.
The AFU has already destroyed almost all the equipment and they are only able to move only on foot.
However, moving on foot is very dangerous because the Ukrainians have so many drones that they even hit single targets with them.
In addition, according the soldier, the Ukrainians use heavy drones - “Baba Yagas”, which drop artillery shells and anti-tank mines on the trenches and dugouts of the Russians.
Because of this, the soldier is constantly in fear and does not feel safe anywhere.
According to him, they are nothing more than guinea pigs on which NATO tests all its latest technologies, and they cannot do anything about it.
The occupier doubts that he will be able to survive at least until spring." -- "Radio Operator"

LOL, NATO is hardly testing anything, Boris!  You are getting pure Ukrainian ingenuity. If only NATO would unleash its frontline R&D!!

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#42]
NSFW.

View Quote

It's like a rock concert when those two batteries are burning up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

That was the beginning of one had tied behind our back wars. It made the commies look better when we played limited warfare. It's fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Sounds like they could use some lend-lease.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#45]

In this case, they aren't tungsten pellets.  This is old 70's and 80's technology.  It is a small grenade like munition that has some capability to penetrate armor, and a fragmentation.  So each bomblet throws frag around in a random manner.

https://www.moore.army.mil/armor/earmor/content/issues/2014/oct_dec/images/Jacobson1.png

https://www.twz.com/uploads/2023/07/06/dpicm-cutaway.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beiD1IpRtvY

https://www.twz.com/uploads/2023/07/07/dpicm-functioning.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1440

Now the new stuff, we can make standard 155mm with "Enhanced Lethality"  Which means we can put on a jacket of 100,000 tungsten pellets to increase the effect of a standard HE round, or make new submunitions, there are options.  Very similar to the tungsten version of the Himars round vs. the standard version.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqwwhUoXgAAoSTf?format=jpg&name=large

Also, we can put a precision guidance fuze on each shell to make them guided, almost like an Excalibur round, so we don't need nearly as many rounds to kill the target.

https://www.edrmagazine.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Future-Artillery-2020-02-12.jpg

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-army-looking-for-new-long-range-precision-artillery-ammunition-2023-9
You guys are worried about us making enough toy drones while we fire 80 mile range smart artillery that identifies and goes after the targets on its own.
View All Quotes

thnx

https://www.moore.army.mil/armor/earmor/content/issues/2014/oct_dec/images/Jacobson1.png

https://www.twz.com/uploads/2023/07/06/dpicm-cutaway.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1920

https://www.twz.com/uploads/2023/07/07/dpicm-functioning.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1440

https://www.edrmagazine.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Future-Artillery-2020-02-12.jpg

C-DAEM shells are expected to be autonomous, using on-board sensors to detect, identify, and home in on targets rather than relying on GPS signals, which can be jammed, or a human observer tasked with the difficult and dangerous task of painting the target with a laser designator.

If it works as designed, a C-DAEM round could be launched into a high-traffic area deep in enemy territory to hunt armor or be used closer to the front to support friendly troops.

A 2017 Army request for information required "the projectile and its payload to operate in GPS Denied/Degraded conditions and perform in high target location error (TLE) environments."

A 2018 Army notice specified the round should be able to reach ranges of roughly 14 miles to 81 miles on "a modern, high-intensity battlefield" and be "capable of defeating stationary and moving armored vehicles" that "may be poorly located (target location error of 50-2000 meters) or moving."

The round should be able to defeat an armored vehicle's mobility or ability to fire "across the full range of environmental conditions and in the presence of cyber, jamming, and obscurant countermeasures," the 2018 notice said.

At least toy drones have a chance of getting to Ukraine. Our amazing tech will never get there, Patriot being an exception perhaps because it is decades old. I would love to see what US top tier munitions and weapons could do against the massed Soviet era weapons of Russia.

Anyway your posts are truly amazing. I half expect to see Amazon links embedded so I can “buy now”!  Want!!!

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Bulgarian and Romanian factories working around the clock undoubtedly contribute significantly to that number
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#47]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCM3ZGW4AEbC7H?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCNEWIXQAEDKUG?format=jpg&name=largehttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCNEWHWcAADo0J?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCO3EVWcAAQpUO?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPNBcWgAAFRY9?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPWjFXwAApA2I?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPhsFXcAAdVXC?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPk1uXAAECXu3?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCP61uXQAA_0sJ?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQCh-X0AAsi53?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQINMXwAA4L3i?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQM-AWcAAO2qh?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQQ_8WAAIlQfC?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQbDtXEAAkrzx?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQi3-W8AARZKL?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCRB-AXsAAMTYT?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I’m amazed at how much that looks like a Bond Villain lair.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#48]

I agree it takes a little faith and some memory...Xiden and FBHO always undermined Ukraine while Trump was they FIRST to send them weapons. Try to "square" the demo-commies hatred for Israel and unrequited love affair with Iran and Hamas.

There ARE idiot imbecilic republicans sabotaging the Party, the USA, Ukraine, etc. Probably victim's of Russia info-ops, money or both rather than the instinctive, consistent, and historic democrat obsession with undermining our military (and Ukraine's) and flirting with all things commie/Soviet.

Do you really believe that the democrats suddenly became patriotic war-hawks? Xiden has done a good job supporting Ukraine? Wants them to really WIN?  
View All Quotes

The corrupt imbeciles we have now are trying to get Ukraine 60B in supplies and Republicans affiliated with Trump are blocking it.  Not sure how well those two ideas square up.

I agree it takes a little faith and some memory...Xiden and FBHO always undermined Ukraine while Trump was they FIRST to send them weapons. Try to "square" the demo-commies hatred for Israel and unrequited love affair with Iran and Hamas.

There ARE idiot imbecilic republicans sabotaging the Party, the USA, Ukraine, etc. Probably victim's of Russia info-ops, money or both rather than the instinctive, consistent, and historic democrat obsession with undermining our military (and Ukraine's) and flirting with all things commie/Soviet.

Do you really believe that the democrats suddenly became patriotic war-hawks? Xiden has done a good job supporting Ukraine? Wants them to really WIN?  

I think that the large majority of both Democrats and Republicans know where are our national interests lie.  Unfortunately, a few don’t.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:
T72, they may have better armor.

Except they’re slow as dirt and any RPG-7 would brew them up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#50]

At least toy drones have a chance of getting to Ukraine. Our amazing tech will never get there, Patriot being an exception perhaps because it is decades old. I would love to see what US top tier munitions and weapons could do against the massed Soviet era weapons of Russia.

Anyway your posts are truly amazing. I half expect to see Amazon links embedded so I can “buy now”!  Want!!!

View All Quotes

thnx

In this case regarding Ukraine, you are right, there are undisclosed numbers of Polish Warmate and custom Switchblade variants among other types that are sent to Ukraine, I know it numbers in the thousands.  I think a part of the problem of making very cheap fpv drones comes from Ukrainian forces buying up over 60% of the commercial drone market supplies and sub assemblies to make them.  Everything from the West is going to be much more expensive at that point, and since Russian EW is not able to wipe the skies clear of the cheap drones, why not keep using them?

Our problems are different, but it would be great to see larger production of cheap drone systems that Ukraine could use without fear of escalation that the West is so concerned about.

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5331 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top