Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5385 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
You really can't negotiate with a drone.

View Quote

He forgot his stick.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:
M777s are being repaired in Ukraine
View Quote

Outstanding.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Obviously there is an end game to this. The bridge is not long for this world.
View Quote

Yup…..I think they have had the means to drop the bridge for some time, they are just waiting for the magic moment to do it. Once they degrade their amphib capacity enough, they’ll do it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Although I've seen some of the defensive positions prepared by Ukraine I'm not convinced that they have prepared anywhere close to the level of defenses I believe they'll need to throw back an very aggressive Russian offensive that I believe will reach its peak somewhere around late summer to early fall time frame, but will be substantial throughout.

Zelensky very clearly refuses to give up positions like Adviivka, because apparently he is under the firm belief that at some point in the immediate future Ukraine is going to be able to retake the city of Donetsk, which Ukraine hasn't held since 2014.  I have to say that I think that's an unreasonable expectation and goal given Ukraine's strategic outlook for the immediate future taking available and even anticipated resources into account.  Holding on to salients like Avdiivka with just two remaining MSRs, one of which is now within small arms range during a section of it, just seems like a poor decision.  As I think we can all agree positions along any front line need to be mutually supporting especially in the long run.  With no immediate plans or seemingly capabiility to take the area around Adviivka or to use Adviivka in the near term as a position from which to mount an armored thrust narrow offensive push from I just think as difficult as it would be to give up that high ground strategic position that it might be necessary.   Sadly, a lot of time in a conflict it's picking between two bad choices not one perfect choice versus one bad one. Ukraine has constructed some in-depth defenses behind Adviivka, so they're not entirely unready to deal with the loss of it.  I don't think there will be some massive collapse of the Ukraine front line if they do lose it, but I'd rather at this point they withdraw in good order than end up with a collapse.    Reasonable minds can differ, but that's just how I see it given the reports I've seen.  I'm not a fan of Zelensky's, I don't think he's fit for the task he's been thrust into and I admit that may skew my view of the direction that man takes.  

Mass mobilization needs to happen.  From what I understand the average age of the front line infantryman for Ukraine is 43 years old.  Given the demographics of Ukraine, which mirror that of the rest of the Western world I believe it.  I'm in my mid 40's and I'd be hard pressed to serve in a combat role for as long as these guys have with probably not the best rest, nutrition, and given the hard fighting with taxing counter attacks that they've been doing for months on end.   I really hope that Ukraine can get their numbers up to allow for better troop rotation, because what those older guys are doing is nothing short of Herculean right now.   I have seen now a number of reports featuring Ukrainian men as old as their early 50's serving on the front line and that's incredible.

View Quote

If you posted like this every time, you wouldn't get shit. These are perfectly reasonable criticisms, and I agree with most of them.

Avdiivka has been in a somewhat perilous position since spring 2023, in terms of the risk of being encircled. It's been obvious for a while now that it will eventually fall. It's not that strategically important, and the UAF likely doesn't have the capability to take back Donetsk City at this point, at least not without having a number of Brigades incur horrible losses, and likely destroying all offensive capacity for the foreseeable future. Donetsk City itself can still easily be targeted with GMLRS (especially now that GLSDB will be in play), long range drones like the Lancet-lite system that the Ukrainians have been working on, etc. Thus, I don't really think Avdiivka is that important in the grand scheme of things. The only reason to commit more troops there, especially good units like the Third Assault Brigade, is to ensure that the retreat happens in an acceptable fashion. Is that what's happening? I don't know. I hope so, but I kind of doubt it. Throughout this war, the UAF have consistently refused to abandon positions until they become completely and utterly untenable. It's one thing to issue 'hold at all costs' orders, but it's another thing to have troops obey them consistently throughout the course of a two year war. The fact that the UAF has consistently done so says that its troops are hard as nails. However, refusing to commit to a maneuver defense and holding at all costs has resulted in significant force degradation in the UAF due to casualties.

Yes, there absolutely does need to be a general mobilization. It'll be an unpopular political decision, but Russia has repeatedly made it clear what its plans for Ukraine are. On February 28, 2022 Russian-state owned Ria-Novosti news accidentally leaked an article about the Russian victory in Ukraine. In the article, they celebrate Ukraine's return to the Russian historical sphere of influence. Note that they refer to Ukrainians as 'Little Russians' here as a way to deny them a separate identity. Russian nationalists do not acknowledge Ukrainians as being a people, and a large reason why this war is occurring is the Russian nationalist belief that Ukrainians (Little Russians), Belarusians (White Russians), and Russians (Greater Russians) are all the same people. Reading between the lines, Russia wanted to annex large portions of Ukraine into Russia, and ensure that the rump state remainder would be governed by pro-Russian stooges and incorporated into the CSTO or possibly made part of the Union State between Russia and Belarus. This tracks with the RUSI report that went out yesterday, in which they claim that the Russian "peace deal" being floated would require Ukraine to give up all of the territories controlled by Russia right now, plus Kharkiv and potentially even Odessa, drop its desire to join NATO, and let Ukrainian leadership be chosen directly by the Kremlin.

There will be no ceasefire or negotiations that end this war and leave Ukraine intact. This only ends with the defeat of Russia, or the defeat of Ukraine, the destruction of the current Ukrainian government, and the repression of Ukrainians as a people with the stated goal of turning back into Little Russians. Tough decisions are going to have to be made. If they don't conduct a general mobilization, they're going to cease to exist.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

He forgot his stick.
View Quote

Stick, 1 ea

Or thrown his rifle
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:56:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#7]

It is called showing everyone how dangerous Russia is and how Ukrainian forces should be supported to defeat that threat.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGT62RSW0AgvX2K?format=jpg&name=900x900

View Quote

My money is on something in the cyber realm.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:
M777s are being repaired in Ukraine
View Quote

Good
I could see no reason on why they couldn't do this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#10]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It is always my first guess.  2nd is Iran has nukes.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#12]
Here's a Russian Media Monitor bit that's worth watching. Sergey Karagamov is a scholar and think tank guy in Russia, so he's clearly very literate even though he's a Nazi scum, not one of our regular guests. He talks about the western/US retreat from Ukraine and Russian ascendancy, and theorizes on the significance of Tucker Carlson's interview. It's a very clear message that the only interaction that Russia responds to is superior force. He also repeatedly calls for Russia to escalate conflict to assure western retreat and Russian victory.

Sergey Karaganov says that America is retreating
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:06:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#13]

https://x.com/Faytuks/status/1757824578452172814

CNN: One of the sources who has seen the intelligence confirmed that "it is, in fact, a highly concerning and destabilizing Russian capability that we were recently made aware of"

Multiple sources familiar with the intelligence characterized the intelligence as “very sensitive.”
View Quote

Guessing cyber.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Video

View Quote

Didn't we give away hundreds of surplus MRAPs that we would never ever need again to small towns and college campuses for "security"?  

In some cases I believe that we paid them to take them.  Maybe we can pay them to get them back as well?

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#15]

If this is the case, I'm not very worried about the threat since we have been preparing for it for years.  In for the committees over reaction to it though.

Russians launched a military satellite February 9th.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

I'm pretty sure it's something cyber related, but I suppose it might also be information that has been collected regarding Russia's long term goals for Eastern Europe, in order to put additional pressure on Congress to approve aid.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

This is my bet as well.

An IT guy I know that works for the gov't told me a couple years ago that there were codes/virus's that were planted in almost every piece of equipment (e.g. routers, computers).

When I asked him how serious this was, he replied "it's about as big a deal as you can imagine".

Imagine all financial and banking records vanishing one day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGSlCpTW8AALEb2?format=jpg&name=small

Crimean Bemep
Have you heard about the bombing of our large landing ship? They say they transported shells from the Tambov powder factory there. So, despite the tragedy of the situation, you can notice that the shells detonate even under water! I hope that now there will be no complaints about the quality of our gunpowder.

It seems more likely the Russians were blowing up a disabled drone or two.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

This is my bet as well.

An IT guy I know that works for the gov't told me a couple years ago that there were codes/virus's that were planted in almost every piece of equipment (e.g. routers, computers).

When I asked him how serious this was, he replied "it's about as big a deal as you can imagine".

Imagine all financial and banking records vanishing one day.
View Quote

The irony here is that the Russians have been paranoid about US-designed and made chips forever, and yet all of their civilian stuff runs on US-designed hardware and there are lots of instances of them using Western electronics in their military hardware.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Stick, 1 ea

Or thrown his rifle
View Quote

Stick, anti drone, 1ea.
HOADD Hand operated anti drone device.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:46:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#21]

Changing my guess to orbiting nuke.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
GLSDB parts found in past week in Crimea.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I have a feeling if that is true it will have some type of "glitch" soon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By doc540:
On-board cargo explosion before it sank?
View Quote

I didn’t see any evidence of one personally.  All the videos looked like warhead explosions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe Kliper wasn't really cancelled.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#26]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGTfpWlXEAAOMHY?format=jpg&name=900x900

It is called showing everyone how dangerous Russia is and how Ukrainian forces should be supported to defeat that threat.
View Quote

The only thing this reporting is likely to produce is
anxiety. "huge threat but we can't say what it is."
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

There are a few toys we could employ.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I laughed. Can you imagine how badly your bell would be ringing?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#29]

https://www.csis.org/analysis/cost-and-value-air-and-missile-defense-intercepts
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Yeah, you can look at any Rail line map of Ukraine, and Russian logistics and advances always only go about 70km from those lines before stalling out.  Once you destroy their ability to resupply from those lines, their system breaks down.

View All Quotes
Amazing how Russia is still as much as it was under Stalin dependent on rail for logistics.  

Hopefully there are and will be some serious sabotage operations behind enemy lines to disrupt Russian rail to the maximum extent possible.

Yeah, you can look at any Rail line map of Ukraine, and Russian logistics and advances always only go about 70km from those lines before stalling out.  Once you destroy their ability to resupply from those lines, their system breaks down.

This was lengthly dicussed 3000 pages ago.

The ~60km logistics is their doctrine since WW2.  

2 hours of driving, 4 hours of loading respectively unloading, 2 hours driving - 3 tours a day.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Yesterday, this was listed as a Russian ammunition dump hit, but a few seconds of extra video shows that it was two Russian MLRS systems going into low earth orbit.

View Quote

WOW.  There went a fully loaded GRAD!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

“Struck by space junk”
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Capta:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Yesterday, this was listed as a Russian ammunition dump hit, but a few seconds of extra video shows that it was two Russian MLRS systems going into low earth orbit.

Shockwave looks thermobaric. I’m guessing loaded TOS-1
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGTfpWlXEAAOMHY?format=jpg&name=900x900

I agree, and I am sure I am going to have to calm a few people down in my daily real life engagements the next few days.  I am not currently worried about any of this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kbi:
Been looking for this one for a while

Zsu-23 used to clear out forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McSgJB6ZYGI
View Quote

"Only we can prevent forests"....#not smokey the bear
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Got another Russian drone operation team.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGP6ktKWYAE6vTx?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote
Astap got his ass tapped
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

“Struck by space junk”
View Quote

*laughs in x37b*
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#38]

2 hours of driving, 4 hours of loading respectively unloading, 2 hours driving - 3 tours a day.  

View All Quotes
Amazing how Russia is still as much as it was under Stalin dependent on rail for logistics.  

Hopefully there are and will be some serious sabotage operations behind enemy lines to disrupt Russian rail to the maximum extent possible.

Yes, but others joining in haven't seen the pattern we discussed 3000 pages ago or know Soviet doctrine so refreshers are useful.

So next step is to wreck logistics 150 km deep, and complicate their supply to the front 4x.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#40]

I agree, and I am sure I am going to have to calm a few people down in my daily real life engagements the next few days.  I am not currently worried about any of this.
View Quote

My county has zero traffic lights, pretty rural. Unless they are targeting livestock, the lazers in space won't be aimed here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

The Dems have mucked up supporting Ukraine and are trying to pass the blame buck, relying on the Republicans Oppositional Defiance Disorder to provide them for an excuse to fail at both the border and Ukraine.
View Quote

Yes. Xiden went in slow and soft counting on Ukraine folding quickly then getting back to business. Then continued with minimal support and idiotic ROE probably agreed upon with Putin to avoid ESCALATION. Fucking cowards.

Then the idiot Republicans come along saying "hold my beer" and attack Xiden from the exact wrong direction, inexplicably wanting less (or no) aid to Ukraine instead of taking the obvious high ground and demanding we let Ukraine kick Russia's ass. It's mind boggling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Love seeing Russian IFVs self-dissassemble.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]

My county has zero traffic lights, pretty rural. Unless they are targeting livestock, the lazers in space won't be aimed here.
View All Quotes

lol, I will never forget our guys explaining to the Air Force what would happen if the laser from the Airborne Laser missed, what that meant to areas downstream of the beam.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#44]
When Ukraine drops the bridge, they will have to make sure they destroy the pylons supporting the bridge. Just hitting the bridge deck is ok, but it can be patched. Dropping the support structure ensures a long time till it would be able to be used.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#45]
You really can't negotiate with a drone.

View Quote

You can negotiate with the human operator behind the drone, but that might be easier if you weren’t destroying their country and they really, really want to see you dead.
I feel entertainment is probably the best option.  Maybe try a dance routine?

Michigan J. Frog - "Hello My Baby"

Bugs Bunny entertains the Doctors

How could you blow up someone after that?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

They always use an out-of-the way place for the earth-shattering kaboom as a demonstration before the surrender ultimatum.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#47]

The Dems have mucked up supporting Ukraine and are trying to pass the blame buck, relying on the Republicans Oppositional Defiance Disorder to provide them for an excuse to fail at both the border and Ukraine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By BroomSlayer:

Trouble? No just the facts. The young conservatives in this country don't give a rat's ass about saving the world, they just want to save this country. If you fellas think there is going to be a Neocon revival in the Republican party over the battle in Congress over Ukraine aide, well just try not to be too disappointed. A majority of Republicans disapprove. Afterall, nothing has been done over our border and you want the House to give away it's only leverage cause of Ukraine.

What leverage? The dems care less about Ukraine aid then they do about the border. They will NEVER secure the border as long as they hold any power over it.

Exactly the Rs would be better off politically to actually do nothing and claim “We need a majority in both Houses”, and let the Dems get the blame for all policy failures. Instead they have to run ahead of the train wreck to wrest blame out of the Dem hands and wrap themselves in ineptitude and obstruction.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#48]
New Video of HIMARs Strikes:

Ukrainian Drones Pounding Russian Infantry:

Ukrainian Avenger SAM Barely Misses Russian Lancet:

Video from the Gunner of a Ukrainian Bradley:

Footage from Ukrainian 95th Artillery Brigade:

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Ukrainian Border Guards Take Out Another Russian Field Gun and More:

Dropping Shells onto Russian Supply Lines

Russian APC Flames Out:

Detonation of Two Russian Grad Launchers

Watching Ukrainian Drones Smashing into Russian Warship from a Distance:

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#50]

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/uzZ6MwWNsG6FdySFoqakFc-970-80.gif
View All Quotes

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/uzZ6MwWNsG6FdySFoqakFc-970-80.gif

Bet we have some relevant X37 payloads on the shelf. Or at least the blueprints.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5385 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top