Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5386 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capta:

Wow, that takes trolling to all-new heights!
I’ll say it again, I am dumbfounded that a supposedly professional navy is getting clowned this badly.  Don’t even bring the “country without a navy” meme into it.  The Ukrainians are straight-up humiliating the Black Sea Fleet.  I really don’t think the Russian navy has the staff competence to counter.
If there’s another side benefit for Ukraine, I hope that after the war they evaluate this campaign and decide they don’t need a navy of any serious proportions.  They need to minmax their land and air forces.  Closing the Black Sea and fucking up the Russian navy and Russian commercial shipping can be done more than adequately with aircraft/missiles/drones.  A conventional navy of any size is something they don’t need.
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://x.com/Faytuks/status/1757824578452172814

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGUMBrRXkAAtjBR?format=png&name=medium

Guessing cyber.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://x.com/Faytuks/status/1757824578452172814

CNN: One of the sources who has seen the intelligence confirmed that "it is, in fact, a highly concerning and destabilizing Russian capability that we were recently made aware of"

Multiple sources familiar with the intelligence characterized the intelligence as “very sensitive.”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGUMBrRXkAAtjBR?format=png&name=medium

Guessing cyber.

The most disturbing thing to me is this is news to anyone in the intelligence community. Whatever the threat is.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Changing my guess to orbiting nuke.
View Quote

What does space have to do with you or me? Not one penny of my tax dollars to defend empty space when we have thousands of square miles of empty space right here in our country.

—1D chess master, probably

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
GLSDB parts found in past week in Crimea.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGTuaNdXkAAucX2?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

There was a report of parts found in Luhansk district as well. Nice they are getting dispersed along the entire line.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By vahog:

They always use an out-of-the way place for the earth-shattering kaboom as a demonstration before the surrender ultimatum.
View Quote

Other than the noise, probably couldn't tell.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]

There are a few toys we could employ.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/uzZ6MwWNsG6FdySFoqakFc-970-80.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Changing my guess to orbiting nuke.

I have a feeling if that is true it will have some type of "glitch" soon.

There are a few toys we could employ.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/uzZ6MwWNsG6FdySFoqakFc-970-80.gif

LOL Return to sender, address is known.., 🎵

I was hoping you had some unclassified info to share on this!

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
Astap got his ass tapped
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UKjohn:
Got another Russian drone operation team.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGP6ktKWYAE6vTx?format=jpg&name=small
Astap got his ass tapped

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Gona be honest , another sub would be nice
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
When Ukraine drops the bridge, they will have to make sure they destroy the pylons supporting the bridge. Just hitting the bridge deck is ok, but it can be patched. Dropping the support structure ensures a long time till it would be able to be used.
View Quote

Good point. Which is exactly what Taurus is designed to do. Send it, Mr Scholz!

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Obviously there is an end game to this. The bridge is not long for this world.
View Quote

My thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kpacman:
Imagine all financial and banking records vanishing one day.
View Quote

Yes please.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
How many of those boxcars are made of wood? A 19-mile-long fire would be impressive.
View Quote

A 30km-long line of burned out train car wrecks is still a 30km long barrier needing to be crossed. I guess they'd make worse concealment for enemy defenders if burned down to their frames and wheels, though. Also less overall weight to move when dragging aside to form localized breaches.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#16]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#17]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
When Ukraine drops the bridge, they will have to make sure they destroy the pylons supporting the bridge. Just hitting the bridge deck is ok, but it can be patched. Dropping the support structure ensures a long time till it would be able to be used.

I wanted to correct something I and a couple of others have said.  The Russians have more amphib ships than I noted.  (Strikethroughs are confirmed destroyed, underline is severely damaged.)
They started the war with the BSF having four Ropucha-class ships - Caesar Kunikov, Novocherkassk, Yamal and Azov, plus the Alligator-class ships Orsk,  Saratov, and Nikolay Filchenkov.
Just before the war they brought in five Ropucha-class landing ships - Korolev, Minsk, Kaliningrad, Georgy Pobedonosets, and Olenegorsky Gornyak, and the Ivan Gren-class ship the Pyotr Morgunov from the Baltic and Northern fleets.
Thus their available fleet in Feb 2022 was
3 Alligators - one destroyed leaves 2
9 Ropuchas - three destroyed and one heavily damaged leaves 5 or 6
1 Ivan Gren - still one, no known attacks

Russian sealift is more like 25-30% attritted, not 50%.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#19]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Bake it with high power microwave.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Note the date.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Note the date.

View All Quotes

Note the date.

Yeah, the idea goes back to the 60's

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/3454/1

The first incident was in response to a June 1967 New York Times article reporting alleged Pentagon plans to develop a nuclear-tipped orbital ABM system. The State Department, who was generally tasked with interpretation of the treaty, stated internally that such a system would violate the treaty because it permanently stationed nuclear weapons in orbit, and it would be impossible to differentiate offensive from defensive orbiting nuclear weapons.2 The explicit inclusion of nuclear weapons in Article IV in addition to weapons of mass destruction prevented the introduction a loophole that the Joint Chiefs of Staff had sought in the 1963 statement in order to allow developing just such an ABM system.3

The second incident was in November 1967—a month after Congress ratified the treaty--when Secretary of Defense McNamara announced that the Soviets had tested a FOBS. The weapon consisted of a modified R-36 missile (the R-36ORB) that placed a two- to three-megaton warhead into an orbital trajectory over the southern hemisphere in order to evade US early warning radar (and possibly ABM) systems by flying lower and approaching from the south, using a retrorocket to de-orbit itself.4 When Secretary McNamara announced the tests, he argued that they did not violate the treaty because 1) they did not involve a warhead, so no nuclear weapon entered orbit; 2) the test vehicle was de-orbited before it achieved a full orbit; and 3) weapon development was not prohibited by the treaty.5    

We have stupid prizes for stupid games, we invented this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Note the date.

View Quote

Hopefully we kept developing offensive and defensive satellite weapons after Reagan’s bluff. And if we have them we don’t wait around to find out when they will use theirs.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaehaerys] [#25]

View Quote

Using nukes in space to kill satellites is akin to taking a shit in the pool to get rid of one kid you don't like. Yeah, shitting in the pool will make him leave, but nobody else, including you, is going to be swimming any time soon. The fact that this idea is an extremely reckless, irresponsible, and stupid plan in which everyone loses, is precisely what leads me to believe that this could very well be a legitimate Russian strategy. This is the sort of stuff that makes Russia dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I was wondering if there had ever been a nuclear test in space. Here is a tweet…

History if you will.

The history of countries threatening to send nuclear weapons into space dates back to the Cold War era, primarily between the United States and the Soviet Union. During this period, both superpowers engaged in a space race, which led to various threats and concerns about the militarization of space.

One notable example is the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, where the United States discovered Soviet missiles in Cuba, leading to a tense standoff. There were also discussions within both nations about the potential use of nuclear weapons in space as a show of force or as a strategic military option.

In the 1980s, during the Reagan administration, the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), also known as "Star Wars," proposed the development of space-based missile defense systems, which further fueled concerns about the weaponization of space and the possibility of nuclear weapons being deployed in orbit.

More recently, with the advancement of technology and the emergence of new space-faring nations, there have been discussions and debates about the potential risks and consequences of deploying weapons in space, including nuclear weapons.

However, international treaties such as the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 aim to prevent the placement of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction in space.

Has there been a nuclear explosion is space before?

Starfish Prime was a high-altitude nuclear test conducted by the United States, a joint effort of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and the Defense Atomic Support Agency.

It was launched from Johnston Atoll on July 9, 1962, and was the largest nuclear test conducted in outer space, and one of five conducted by the US in space.

On July 9, 1962, at 09:00:09 Coordinated Universal Time (11:00:09 pm on July 8, 1962, Honolulu time), the Starfish Prime test was detonated at an altitude of 250 miles (400 km).

While some of the energetic beta particles followed the Earth's magnetic field and illuminated the sky, other high-energy electrons became trapped and formed radiation belts around the Earth.

In the months that followed these man-made radiation belts eventually caused six or more satellites to fail,[13] as radiation damaged their solar arrays or electronics, including the first commercial relay communication satellite, Telstar, as well as the United Kingdom's first satellite, Ariel 1.

The Starfish test was one of five high-altitude tests grouped together as Operation Fishbowl within the larger Operation Dominic, a series of tests in 1962 begun in response to the Soviet announcement on August 30, 1961, that they would end a three-year moratorium on testing.

The Starfish test was originally planned as the second in the Fishbowl series, but the first launch (Bluegill) was lost by the radar tracking equipment and had to be destroyed in flight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

Using nukes in space to kill satellites is akin to taking a shit in the pool to get rid of one kid you don't like. Yeah, shitting in the pool will make him leave, but nobody else, including you, is going to be swimming any time soon. The fact that this idea is an extremely reckless, irresponsible, and stupid plan in which everyone loses, is precisely what leads me to believe that this could very well be a legitimate Russian strategy. This is the sort of stuff that makes Russia dangerous.
View All Quotes

Yeah, it would become a wasteland quickly to level the field.

Hopefully we have kinetic and laser/energy beam or graboid satellites ready and waiting.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:20:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#28]
The two invaders who were carrying him managed to jump away from the drone.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]
More info about Avdiivka push back…

but hit a wall when they tried to leapfrog to our main avenues—our artillery cut their reserves to shreds.

We beefed up the flanks with infantry, just as urban warfare demands (not a simple feat in a cityscape unlike open fields where tanks could potentially block paths without countermeasures).

Artillery and drones are in full swing here—essential, yet draining our ammo at an alarming rate.

The 47th stands like a titan, teaching those bastards that daylight is their enemy, with our drones ready to pick them off. They’re petrified now.

Southward, they’re hesitant to cross the ridge, preferring to exploit gains in the private sector. We need to sever this quickly; they’re dragging in more ATGMs and mining the area, complicating any expulsion efforts.

We’re grinding them down, relentlessly.

Slava 🔱
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#30]

View All Quotes

I'm sure the Chinese will be thrilled to have their stuff knocked out by the Russians.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Everybody knows Russia can't develop tech better than the US, so denying our capability doesn't really cost them capability. So yes, it's a very Russian thing: 'if we can't use it, nobody can.'
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#32]

Certainly puts Elon’s nuts in a vise among other things.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

Other then lines with major bridges rail is hard to damage for long. Rail, ties and gravel are cheap and can rapidly be repaired even by hand.
View Quote

How many locomotive engines do they have?
Go train busting with drone sweeps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:39:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#34]

Certainly puts Elon’s nuts in a vise among other things.

View Quote

Yep, especially since our military satellites are hardened for a nuclear war.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:41:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#35]
Now.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Please stay on topic- If you post presidential political topics in this thread, you will be banned from the discussion.  If you want to discuss presidential politics, congressional spending, the boarder, go start a new thread, or post in the numerous ones already in GD.
View Quote

I understand to an extent, but presidential politics are already front and center in this issue.
The Ukrainian aid bill and the course of the war is being determined in the US House due 100% to US presidential campaign politics.  If congress votes for aid then that issue sort of ends, even if it does not end the NATO political issue regarding the war.
Not sure what was deleted, but I don’t see how US politics can stay out of the thread with this being the case.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#37]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGVC2LfX0AAxzIG?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

NATO officers have said multiple times that Russia is mapping out European communications and US links to Europe.  War is coming.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#38]

NATO officers have said multiple times that Russia is mapping out European communications and US links to Europe.  War is coming.
View All Quotes

Yeah, if the treaties are null, boy can we take the gloves off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#39]
lol.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

We won’t. The fox is in the hen house.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#41]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

Even the worst US president doesn't like the idea of getting nuked, or outsmarted by an adversary.  There are things we can do, because these contingencies have been planned for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#42]

I wanted to correct something I and a couple of others have said.  The Russians have more amphib ships than I noted.  (Strikethroughs are confirmed destroyed, underline is severely damaged.)
They started the war with the BSF having four Ropucha-class ships - Caesar Kunikov, Novocherkassk, Yamal and Azov, plus the Alligator-class ships Orsk,  Saratov, and Nikolay Filchenkov.
Just before the war they brought in five Ropucha-class landing ships - Korolev, Minsk, Kaliningrad, Georgy Pobedonosets, and Olenegorsky Gornyak, and the Ivan Gren-class ship the Pyotr Morgunov from the Baltic and Northern fleets.
Thus their available fleet in Feb 2022 was
3 Alligators - one destroyed leaves 2
9 Ropuchas - three destroyed and one heavily damaged leaves 5 or 6
1 Ivan Gren - still one, no known attacks

Russian sealift is more like 25-30% attritted, not 50%.
View Quote

Capacity wise greater than 30%
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#43]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#44]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#45]

Any more domestic presidential politics, or congressional spending bills discussions will earn a thread ban.  This thread is about the war in Ukraine.   From the start, this thread has been exclusively about what happens there.  We have worked to keep arguments about support of Russia or Ukraine out of this thread, and limit it to news about the war.  

There were numerous threads where you can bash Trump, Maga, Republicans, or their support for Ukraine.   Don't bring those discussions here, or you will find yourself unable to participate.
View All Quotes
Please stay on topic- If you post presidential political topics in this thread, you will be banned from the discussion.  If you want to discuss presidential politics, congressional spending, the boarder, go start a new thread, or post in the numerous ones already in GD.

I understand to an extent, but presidential politics are already front and center in this issue.
The Ukrainian aid bill and the course of the war is being determined in the US House due 100% to US presidential campaign politics.  If congress votes for aid then that issue sort of ends, even if it does not end the NATO political issue regarding the war.
Not sure what was deleted, but I don’t see how US politics can stay out of the thread with this being the case.

Any more domestic presidential politics, or congressional spending bills discussions will earn a thread ban.  This thread is about the war in Ukraine.   From the start, this thread has been exclusively about what happens there.  We have worked to keep arguments about support of Russia or Ukraine out of this thread, and limit it to news about the war.  

There were numerous threads where you can bash Trump, Maga, Republicans, or their support for Ukraine.   Don't bring those discussions here, or you will find yourself unable to participate.

So if, in the future, no more US 155mm, no more Patriot reloads, and no more GMLRS rockets are seen in Ukraine, what should we ascribe that to in order to avoid a ban?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#46]

So if, in the future, no more US 155mm, no more Patriot reloads, and no more GMLRS rockets are seen in Ukraine, what should we ascribe that to in order to avoid a ban?
View Quote

A total newb with less than 20 posts jumped in the thread to shift this discussion to the special olympics that is congress. I am good with the thread ban.
I have no issues with discussing the consequences of aid being stopped, but there are other threads to discuss how smart or stupid politicians and candidates are about aid packages.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:31:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#48]
Heads up Ukrainian air defense.  Possible cruise missiles hours from now. 7 Tu-95's airborne.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Here's a Russian Media Monitor bit that's worth watching. Sergey Karagamov is a scholar and think tank guy in Russia, so he's clearly very literate even though he's a Nazi scum, not one of our regular guests. He talks about the western/US retreat from Ukraine and Russian ascendancy, and theorizes on the significance of Tucker Carlson's interview. It's a very clear message that the only interaction that Russia responds to is superior force. He also repeatedly calls for Russia to escalate conflict to assure western retreat and Russian victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL4Y2yJg9GA
View Quote

Yeah. All the lives extinguished for their idiotic war is just a "small sacrifice" to this asshole. Wait until they raise the conscription age to 80, then maybe he will change his mind.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:37:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#50]

A total newb with less than 20 posts jumped in the thread to shift this discussion to the special olympics that is congress. I am good with the thread ban.
I have no issues with discussing the consequences of aid being stopped, but there are other threads to discuss how smart or stupid politicians and candidates are about aid packages.
View All Quotes

Yeah, that guy was obviously here to troll.  There’s a difference.  Lots of hard discussions have been had in this thread and no one has been shy with the facts.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5386 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top