Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5462 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
The Old Guard is trying hard to justify their expensive legacy programs. Drone swarms delivered by stealth cruise missiles or ballistic missile vehicles are the next evolution. This idea keeps me up at night.

View Quote

This goes right along with that short fiction film showing autonomous killer minidrones.

China LOVES asymmetric techniques that will give them a jump on US military supremacy. This drone tech combined with China's advanced AI has really terrifying prospects for future conflict. AI and autonomous drones are a huge game changer.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GunGuyMP:
No clue if true... Only post out there

View Quote

Yeah, there would be a lot of chatter if true from both sides by now I would think.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View Quote

Wow. That's epic footage there. Wish there was sound. Looks like the Russians gave it a good try using all hands shooting everything including PK's at the incoming drones!! That one drone in the beginning running in circles...probably got damaged and lost control.  

Maybe some sea drones should include one of those giant Russian Claymore mines just to clear the decks a little.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The first visually confirmed loss of the M142 "HIMARS" during the entire war...

Three Russian MLRS “Uragan” were destroyed in the Zaporizhzhia region.

Morning, afternoon or night. Russia does not choose the time for another attack:

Another insane detonation of a Russian APC:

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
More chatter....

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:36:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#6]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

This goes right along with that short fiction film showing autonomous killer minidrones.

China LOVES asymmetric techniques that will give them a jump on US military supremacy. This drone tech combined with China's advanced AI has really terrifying prospects for future conflict. AI and autonomous drones are a huge game changer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The Old Guard is trying hard to justify their expensive legacy programs. Drone swarms delivered by stealth cruise missiles or ballistic missile vehicles are the next evolution. This idea keeps me up at night.

You would be terrified of a Tomahawk that could dispense many coordinated tiny jamming and explosive drones over a target.

Article from 2012 by the way.

https://www.military.com/defensetech/2012/04/20/navy-partnering-tomahawks-and-small-drones-as-hunter-killers

We have been doing a lot of work with Tomahawk and small [unmanned aerial systems], so we've been using small UASs" to target for the missiles, said Rear Adm. William Shannon III, program executive oficer for the Navy's unmanned aircraft and strike weapons during the Navy League's annual Sea, Air, Space conference in National Harbor, Md., this week. "We do about 10 to 15 test flight a year just to ensure the software upgrades are doing well and we also test [concepts of operations] with it. We've been doing work with  special forces, with Marine, with Navy, with Army and with British special forces. We've been using the small UASs to do targeting, we've shortened the time of flight with Tomahawk to make it more tactically relevant and it's a networked weapon so we're able to control it in flight. Last Novemeber, the British with their Astute Class submarine, launched a Tomahawk on the west coast as part of training and directed it into the training range at China Lake and redirected it from their [special operations] control center in London" while it was in flight.

He went on to plug the missile, saying that the more than 230 Tomahawks launched against Moammar Gadhafi's forces in Libya ensured the NATO air campaign there was a success "because Tomahawk was there first and took out most of the air defense systems and most of the aircraft that were sitting on the airfields."

2022 article:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/10/24/1062039/us-navy-swarms-of-thousands-of-small-drones/

The US Navy has always been a leader in this field, and while they did not respond to requests to discuss their work, the budget documents that MIT Technology Review has read reveal ambitious plans for swarms vastly bigger than anything yet seen. Buried in hundreds of pages of budget numbers are details of several projects not previously revealed, which involve drone boats and submarines as well as uncrewed air vehicles. Together they fall under a project named Super Swarm.

The US Navy has already made considerable progress in this area. In 2017 it demonstrated a swarm of 30 drones flying together. The idea is that the drones carry explosive warheads for kamikaze attacks, making them into miniature cruise missiles. The same approach has been used by Russia against Ukrainian cities in recent days. That project, named LOCUST (for “low-cost UAV swarming technology”), now falls under the bigger Super Swarm mission.

In April last year a Navy drone swarm carried out an attack on a ship in a war game exercise for the first time. Even in a real mission, Kallenborn notes, the drones would carry just a few pounds of explosive each, compared with the 488-pound warhead on a Harpoon anti-ship missile. That means they  would be used in different ways, taking advantage of their high precision.

“The drone swarm could attack from multiple angles, aiming to damage or destroy critical systems like radar antennas, deck guns, and weapons systems,” says Kallenborn.

The Navy’s plans in the budget document include swarms launched from ships, submarines, aircraft, and ground vehicles, in what they term “multi-domain operations.” The drones will have a variety of payloads: some might carry sensors, some will have jammers or other electronic warfare gear, and some will have warheads.  But drone swarms still struggle with the problem of limited range. The 13-pound Raytheon Coyote used in the LOCUST program, for example, can cruise for only two hours at 50 miles per hour, so it needs to hitch a ride.

Another project, DEALRS (for “deployment and employment of autonomous long-range systems”), seeks to overcome this challenge. One aspect of DEALRS is working on so-called marsupial systems or motherships: larger uncrewed aircraft carrying multiple smaller drones. Two US drone makers, Kratos and General Atomics, have already demonstrated bigger drones launching smaller ones. But these only involved one or two vehicles, whereas DEALRS aims to  transport and launch “extremely large numbers” of small drones without human intervention.

Another Super Swarm sub-project seeks to overcome a fundamental problem of military hardware: cost. The US Army pays around $49,000 for each of its small portable drones, known as Rucksack Portable Unmanned Aircraft Systems. Expendable swarming drones will need to be far more affordable to be fielded in large numbers. A project called MASS (“manufacturing of autonomous systems at scale”) is using 3D printing and digital design tools to create low-cost drones in large numbers. The aim is to have a design that can be modified at will to turn out drones optimized for different purposes—for example, maximizing speed, endurance, stealth, or payload—from the same production line.

According to budget documents, MASS will manufacture drones “as far forward/afloat as possible,” suggesting production on board Navy ships closer to the action. The stated goal is to turn out tens of thousands of drones.

If all the Super Swarm projects come together, a US naval force will be able to launch massive swarms to travel long distances, carry out detailed reconnaissance over a wide area, and find and attack targets. Ukraine’s small drones have destroyed over a hundred Russian armored vehicles; a swarm of a thousand drones might take out an entire battalion in one strike. It could direct additional drones against a target that survived the initial attack, and provide detailed imagery of the results.

The budget documents suggest that the swarms are seen as an answer to one of the US military’s biggest headaches: “anti-access/area denial” (or A2/AD), military jargon for areas covered by advanced surface-to-air and anti-ship missiles that prevent US forces from entering.

Swarms could break through the strongest existing defenses; dozens or hundreds of drones might be shot down, but thousands more would get through, with enough munitions to take out air defense radar and other defenses. This would pave the way for attacks by cruise missiles, crewed aircraft, and other traditional weapons.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Prime:

View Quote

WTF? Russian walks past one of his own that just was shot and turns & shoots him? Is that what I'm seeing?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Still no official work from Ukrainian sources.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
More chatter....

View Quote

There is a pattern I am seeing recently with Russian targeting.

They are consistently using the Iksander ballistic missiles to quickly get a weapon on targets they spot.  Like the Himars, like the S-300 site, like this attempt today.  They have shortened their time of spotting a target, and then using a very fast ballistic missile which has less than 5 minutes of flight time to hit any target in Ukraine.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#10]

In the video that Prime (and I) posted earlier, the former ambassador says straight out that without NATO membership, Ukraine would have to become a highly militarized fortress state to stave off future aggression. He says the support for NATO membership is extremely strong in the country, and is the only real solution to Ukraine's security situation.

There's an underlying story here that one of Putin's objectives is not just to restore the Russian Empire, but to break NATO. So far, it's working. NATO, which had already gutted all its own militaries post cold war, has dropped a large pile of its remaining capacity into Ukraine giving them less cushion for the future, and the recent German leak shows there are real gaps in the alliance.

IMO it's a given that Putin will move on the Baltics after consolidating and pacifying Ukraine/Moldova. A quick strike through the Baltics (which would cover less area than their initial 2022 Ukraine invasion) would establish facts on the ground that NATO would find very difficult to overturn. Much of NATO is afraid of things that are difficult or risky or could cost some lives. This is the pain point where Putin could completely destroy the alliance as NATO would lose unity, and therefore be unable to respond timely or effectively. The geopolitical strategic shakeup would profoundly alter the world balance.
View Quote

Yes I agree completely. It IS true that Russia has been exposed as inept, primitive, and backwards but also mindlessly savage and aggressive. Likewise NATO has been exposed as having a very thin defense, with no depth, and utterly relying on a 100% commitment from all members BUT with the less exposed (and some maybe compromised) countries obviously showing weakness and cowardice. Like a group of weakling nerds teaming up against a bully but refusing to fight together "you go first! No YOU go first...no you...".
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/22FV5Z0.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/HJRB3ve.jpeg

From topwar.ru

View Quote

Soy based wiring insulation has been a problem for many people here in the USA when their autos wiring harness's have been chewed by squirrels. Wiring should not "taste good" to rodents.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#13]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH-FscjW8AMTUiW?format=jpg&name=medium

One option.

IF Ukraine could have gotten Taurus, a single missile with a correct fuze setting could be made to go off inside the concrete pillar, it would not take the number of missiles in the leaked conversation to do this.

View Quote

That bridge is not long for this world.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

*chuckle* at the starlink antenna/stand just screwed to the top of it and wire running along the top to the back.

Simplicity at it's finest...
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:50:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#15]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

Soy based wiring insulation has been a problem for many people here in the USA when their autos wiring harness's have been chewed by squirrels. Wiring should not "taste good" to rodents.
View All Quotes

From topwar.ru

I have never seen that kind of wiring on U.S. made mil-spec weapons systems.  Is this a European green initiative thing?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Maybe add some AR500 plates.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Ghostrider from wish.com

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

View All Quotes

From the Russian ship POV video, I am wondering if those Sea Baby drones are armored against small arms fire a bit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#20]

WTF? Russian walks past one of his own that just was shot and turns & shoots him? Is that what I'm seeing?
View Quote

Hopefully the guy laying down was the C/O...but the shooter was probably a RU "medic" making sure.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#22]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH_mykUWIAAk6xJ?format=png&name=900x900
View Quote

Came under fire? From an inbound Khinzal or Shaheed? Or someone took a shot at the motorcade with a Kornet or something "local"??

edit: OK so Iskander attack.

Ukraine NEEDS Tomahawks NOW!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Damn, that last guy turned into a part of the landscape in a millisecond.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#24]

From topwar.ru

View Quote

If you make wiring insulation out of food, critters are going to eat it. Fucking greenies are the dumbest fucking morons on the planet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:02:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#25]

Yeah, there would be a lot of chatter if true from both sides by now I would think.
View All Quotes
No clue if true... Only post out there

NVM!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#26]

From the Russian ship POV video, I am wondering if those Sea Baby drones are armored against small arms fire a bit.
View Quote

They should be. At least as much as weight/buoyancy allows. And maybe Claymore or MON mine version. What every happened to the version with those Russian "flamethrower" rockets?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:06:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#27]
View Quote

Hang on - that's close to Mongolia. There is NO way that came from Ukraine. What is this?

Edit - grainy video. Can't tell if it's a drone or a bird.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#28]

I have never seen that kind of wiring on U.S. made mil-spec weapons systems.  Is this a European green initiative thing?
View All Quotes

From topwar.ru

I don't know about Mil spec things, but I know automotive wiring made in the last few years "tastes good".  I also know that solder on printed circuit boards made in the last few years is crap too. It has a high tin content and no lead. It it does not flow properly and makes hand soldering difficult. I have a couple of rolls of it and it is "shit", BUT the largest problem is the fact after a few years it grows crystals called "tin whiskers" which can short out components and traces. Making for an early failure of the board. Yes this is a European "green initiative "  called Rohs" Reduction Of Hazardous Substances. There is always a price to pay for any green initiative.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Hang on - that's close to Mongolia. There is NO way that came from Ukraine. What is this?
View Quote

Most likely some locals with Ukrainian technical assistance. Not everybody in Mother Russia likes Putin and ethnic Russians.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:23:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#30]

I don't know about Mil spec things, but I know automotive wiring made in the last few years "tastes good".  I also know that solder on printed circuit boards made in the last few years is crap too. It has a high tin content and no lead. It it does not flow properly and makes hand soldering difficult. I have a couple of rolls of it and it is "shit", BUT the largest problem is the fact after a few years it grows crystals called "tin whiskers" which can short out components and traces. Making for an early failure of the board. Yes this is a European "green initiative "  called Rohs" Reduction Of Hazardous Substances. There is always a price to pay for any green initiative.
View All Quotes

From topwar.ru

Thanks for that info, we use silver solder, and other high quality stuff. My experience was it flowed and works great from all of my experiences.  Lots of gold contacts to work with.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

China is fighting an invisible war on many fronts against us - while we are sleeping.

The only thing that let me sleep at night is, that all these traitors and useful idiots who are responsible for the western decline will end on a wall. China won't welcome them with open arms because they despise traitors. And shit is piling up so fast, they already started to get a taste of their own medicine.

Rant over, BTT.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Believing in Ukraine as a country and that it's better than living in Russia is literally mental illness, and such people need psychiatric help.

Dmitry Steshin describes how Ukrainians are treated in occupied regions

CBC interview with exiled oligarch Khordokovsky who lays out the truth: Putin cannot be negotiated with except from a position of strength to stop him. The idea that he shouldn't be humiliated and should be given off-ramps (as Macron said) is completely wrong. We all knew this, of course. A bully who lives by force is only stopped by force.

'Putin's oldest enemy' has advice for Western leaders
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Yes I agree completely. It IS true that Russia has been exposed as inept, primitive, and backwards but also mindlessly savage and aggressive. Likewise NATO has been exposed as having a very thin defense, with no depth, and utterly relying on a 100% commitment from all members BUT with the less exposed (and some maybe compromised) countries obviously showing weakness and cowardice. Like a group of weakling nerds teaming up against a bully but refusing to fight together "you go first! No YOU go first...no you...".
View Quote

It really doesn't take much to refute that nato was a threat to russia. If nato were a threat they wouldn't have scrapped all their equipment.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

If you make wiring insulation out of food, critters are going to eat it. Fucking greenies are the dumbest fucking morons on the planet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

From topwar.ru

Rodents chewing wires in the field has been an issue since wire appeared in the field. The bulk of the surviving German tanks in the 6th Army at Stalingrad were deadlined at the end because rodents had eaten wiring.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#36]

A good point, notice that this is the Russian idea of having adequate air defense on a Corvette nowadays.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH6ihN8XcAAadNb?format=jpg&name=large

You really don't want to use land based air defense systems on naval platforms, because they aren't stabilized for the roll and pitch of the ship.  Their radar systems also are not optimized for working over water.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:
1 hr ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH6N05uXsAAdV77?format=jpg&name=small

Note from the intercepted radio from the ship, posted by Prime earlier, that it was reported to be on air defense duty for the Kerch Bridge.

This opens the way for an attack on the bridge.

The bridge threat is also a great way to keep drawing ships with air defense capabilities out into the open.

A good point, notice that this is the Russian idea of having adequate air defense on a Corvette nowadays.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH6ihN8XcAAadNb?format=jpg&name=large

You really don't want to use land based air defense systems on naval platforms, because they aren't stabilized for the roll and pitch of the ship.  Their radar systems also are not optimized for working over water.

The #Russians planned to deploy an air defense system on the ship "Sergey Kotov" - #GUR

There had already been successful attacks on the ship, but it was restored. This time "Sergei Kotov" was definitely destroyed, said Andrei Yusov, a representative of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense.
https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/88763

"The enemy had plans for him. In addition to the patrol boat itself, there were also plans to place anti-aircraft missile systems on the ship itself, and there have already been such attempts. There are dead and wounded. Part of the crew was able to evacuate, so the exact information is being clarified," Yusov said.

The cost of such a vessel is more than $60 million. "Sergey Kotov", together with the cruiser "Moskva", took part in the attack on Zmeiny Island.

I wonder how long it takes for the salt to corrode those land based systems when used like this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By klinc:

*chuckle* at the starlink antenna/stand just screwed to the top of it and wire running along the top to the back.

Simplicity at it's finest...
View Quote

It's not like it has to withstand a decade of harsh weather.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Believing in Ukraine as a country and that it's better than living in Russia is literally mental illness, and such people need psychiatric help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZTcPUi1vzA

CBC interview with exiled oligarch Khordokovsky who lays out the truth: Putin cannot be negotiated with except from a position of strength to stop him. The idea that he shouldn't be humiliated and should be given off-ramps (as Macron said) is completely wrong. We all knew this, of course. A bully who lives by force is only stopped by force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5IXIYuHobk
View Quote

Pretty much what I have been saying all along. Stand on his throat and tell him what is going to happen is the only way for him to stop.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

The ATGM gunner timed that one pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#40]

I'm gonna wait for the day shift guys on that one

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH803sFWwAA_Arx?format=jpg&name=small
View All Quotes

RIM-162  missile?

I'm gonna wait for the day shift guys on that one

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH803sFWwAA_Arx?format=jpg&name=small

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

From topwar.ru

Thanks for the additional info. Never knew about this problems.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#42]
The Russian POV of the Ukrainian USV attack, now with some audio.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Yet another example of how things built "in the old days" were better quality by being more durable. Lead solder and asbestos shielding makes for indestructible wiring to last for decades.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#45]
FPV strike on a lot of guys in the shell of a building.

https://x.com/ipostdeadpigmen/status/1765406997212495951
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Wow. That's epic footage there. Wish there was sound. Looks like the Russians gave it a good try using all hands shooting everything including PK's at the incoming drones!! That one drone in the beginning running in circles...probably got damaged and lost control.  

Maybe some sea drones should include one of those giant Russian Claymore mines just to clear the decks a little.
View Quote

Comment I saw said it may have been filled with foam, used as a decoy to draw fire,thus why it was circling.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#47]

There is a pattern I am seeing recently with Russian targeting.

They are consistently using the Iksander ballistic missiles to quickly get a weapon on targets they spot.  Like the Himars, like the S-300 site, like this attempt today.  They have shortened their time of spotting a target, and then using a very fast ballistic missile which has less than 5 minutes of flight time to hit any target in Ukraine.

View Quote

They (Russia) had a few rocket launches several months back that they might have got something decent into space to monitor the area/theater.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By klinc:

They (Russia) had a few rocket launches several months back that they might have got something decent into space to monitor the area/theater.
View Quote

There is that, but the recent footage shows they have larger drones getting views behind the Ukrainian front lines at high value targets.  Getting those drones would ruin their targeting process.

The only other thing to do is to get a Russian ballistic missile launch warning and have Ukrainan high value targets drive away from their current position until the missile impact.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#50]
25 minutes ago.

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5462 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top