Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5463 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

Comment I saw said it may have been filled with foam, used as a decoy to draw fire,thus why it was circling.
View Quote

Anything is possible but why waste effort on a decoy? Had it been a fully armed drone that was aimed straight, BOOM, no need for decoys. I think most likely the operator lost signal or the drone was damaged and out of control.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 3Florks:

Haha, what movie was that from?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3Florks:
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

"That's the kind of code only an idiot would have on his luggage!"

Haha, what movie was that from?

Spaceballs.  

From the mind of the great Mel Brooks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
NSFW.

View Quote

The Ghost Rider impression is only a 5/10.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Assuming the US has tons and tons of Abrams that can be re-furbished or brought out of storage, it would be hilarious if the US publicly stated that for each Abrams destroyed/captured by the Russians, five more will be given to Ukraine.  
View Quote

We could do a 100:1 replacement for the original 31 donated. And imagine the skill of the crew that had their tank destroyed but they survived and were in a new tank days later...
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]

The Ghost Rider impression is only a 5/10.
View Quote

Well, it was impressive enough that maybe a little petrol should be added to the drones. A few fl.oz just to keep the Hollywood special effects more honest...
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Bulgarian deliveries to Ukraine.

It seems they are cleaning out some depots.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Good assessment. Lets not forget that some blame "NATO expansion" for this war that "forced Putin" into "defending" Russia. It's total bullshit but how do they square that peg by now offering membership in exchange for peace?

With a very uncertain NATO membership, Ukraine would have to be fully militarized and able to defend themselves (nukes?) without NATO before agreeing to anything. AND if NATO fails to truly save Ukraine now, either because they are too lazy, corrupt, or inept to maintain a credible military, or they are too timid, compromised, conflicted, etc (Germany) then how strong will they come to the rescue if/when Ukraine is attacked again in the future? More "little green Russian men" claiming to be rescuing ethnic Russians and the weak-kneed Euro-weenies will again try to stick their heads in the sand.

Maybe Ukraine should bring up the possibility of trading a land corridor to the Polish border to the Russians in exchange for peace and see what Germany says to that.

View Quote

That last paragraph.  You have my attention
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#11]
More footage from a nearby ship.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:05:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#12]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Yeah, the nerve of those guys wanting an independent Ukraine so badly they'd fight, kill, and die for it. Fuck that noise, right?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
There is going to be a lot of hype about the Russian gains in the months ahead, but keep in mind this is their offensive and of course Ukraine gained a lot of territory back in early 2023 when Russia was going into its defensive posture.  So, I think it's important to put this stuff in context and that obviously there will be some gains by the Russians, perhaps even one large gain of territory.  However, it's one thing to take ground and another thing to hold it as Ukraine is discovering after its 2023 pick-ups.  

I have to say I'm impressed by the Azov Battalion's performance time and time again.  Say what you will about their political beliefs, but that's one Hell of an ground force.  

I think we may have seen the very first instance of CAS by the Russians (possibly SU-24s) though (I"ll go find the name of the town again where I think it occurred).  The Russians are definitely getting slightly better at combined arms and have fairly decent coordination, they're not being push overs right now at all.   The Russians are taking, as I think would be expected during an offensive, a fair number of loses.  It's a bit vague though what the actual kill ratio is looking like at this point.  

Interesting point, it appears that some UK and U.S. International Legion voluteers may have been taken prisoner.  If so, that's extremely unfortunate and I hope they are treated fairly under the Geneva Convention.

Yeah, the nerve of those guys wanting an independent Ukraine so badly they'd fight, kill, and die for it. Fuck that noise, right?

I'm sure you're being obtuse on purpose, so I'll just say it outright: I don't care if there is ANY link to Nazism- neo or otherwise- in the Azov battalion; the members of that battalion are *clearly* doing what they are doing because of their fundamental anti-Communist, anti-Russia, pro-Ukraine beliefs...all of which are beliefs that can be held by people who have never been Nazis.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#15]
What a name, Penetrating Affordable Autonomous Collaborative Killer.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Russian glide bombs.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:25:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#17]

View All Quotes

he battle lasted 20 minutes. Of the 10 drones, four were destroyed. The fifth drone hit the ship in the stern, thereby immobilizing the ship, after which the 6, 7, 8 and 9 drones alternately hit the ship on the port side in the midship area (middle) and closer to the stern, with the aim of capsizing the ship (due to the influx of a large amount of water from one side). The ninth drone partially entered the hole made by the previous one, and detonated almost inside of the ship.

There was no way to save the ship (the list was rapidly increasing, the ship was lying on the left side). From the moment the enemy drones were discovered and the start of the battle, until the ship was completely flooded, a little more than 40 minutes passed. The crew left the ship using life rafts, without loss of personnel, and evacuated all secret documentation and part of the secret equipment with weapons. The last 10th drone monitored the dying ship until the sinking, after which the 10th drone tried to attack the accompanying tug, but was destroyed by the group on board”

Wow!  So we were seeing, effectively, the middle of the attack onward, and the 3rd party view was either the first hit or maybe the second.  But after that return fire mostly stopped.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Sweden NATO accession documents have made their way to the US Department of State and its the official depository of NATO protocols.

This is the last step of the process of a country’s NATO membership application

Welcome to NATO Viking warriors!

🇸🇪

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH-VRpiWEAAc7sG?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I'm drinking Champagne tonight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaehaerys] [#19]

I'm sure you're being obtuse on purpose, so I'll just say it outright: I don't care if there is ANY link to Nazism- neo or otherwise- in the Azov battalion; the members of that battalion are *clearly* doing what they are doing because of their fundamental anti-Communist, anti-Russia, pro-Ukraine beliefs...all of which are beliefs that can be held by people who have never been Nazis.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
There is going to be a lot of hype about the Russian gains in the months ahead, but keep in mind this is their offensive and of course Ukraine gained a lot of territory back in early 2023 when Russia was going into its defensive posture.  So, I think it's important to put this stuff in context and that obviously there will be some gains by the Russians, perhaps even one large gain of territory.  However, it's one thing to take ground and another thing to hold it as Ukraine is discovering after its 2023 pick-ups.  

I have to say I'm impressed by the Azov Battalion's performance time and time again.  Say what you will about their political beliefs, but that's one Hell of an ground force.  

I think we may have seen the very first instance of CAS by the Russians (possibly SU-24s) though (I"ll go find the name of the town again where I think it occurred).  The Russians are definitely getting slightly better at combined arms and have fairly decent coordination, they're not being push overs right now at all.   The Russians are taking, as I think would be expected during an offensive, a fair number of loses.  It's a bit vague though what the actual kill ratio is looking like at this point.  

Interesting point, it appears that some UK and U.S. International Legion voluteers may have been taken prisoner.  If so, that's extremely unfortunate and I hope they are treated fairly under the Geneva Convention.

The subject of Azov, Pravyy Sektor, and other Ukrainian ultranationalist formations is a complicated one. They use some symbolism that has some questionable meanings, such as Wolfsangels, Sonnenrads, and even just UPA flags. That being said, they aren't invading other countries and ethnically cleansing their populations. Additionally, Azov garrisoned Mariupol for eight years, and there wasn't a single anti-Semitic attack or hate crime in general linked to members of the regiment. Both Azov and Pravyy Sektor posses a number of Russian speakers, and I know Pravyy Sektor has a number of Jews in their ranks. The main conclusion I've come to is that they view the aforementioned symbols as just being a way to insult and piss off the Russians, more than anything.

Regardless, the Ukrainian far right has consistently done horrible at the ballot box. In 2019, when they presented a united front, they got 2.15% of the vote. The height of their popularity was during the reign of Yanukovych, whose pro-Russian policies sparked nationalist backlash. Even then, Svoboda only got 10% of the vote. It should also be noted that the Party of Regions deliberately promoted Svoboda and gave them TV time, as they made for a convenient sparring partner. I'd also point out that the people who complain about Ukrainian ultranationalist formations ignore the fact that a ton of far right formations have been fighting for Russia in the Donbas for a decade (Sparta, Rusich, Wagner, Russian Imperial Legion, etc.), and the fact that Russia supports most of Europe's neo-Nazi parties, the leadership of whom came to "observe" the referendums during the annexation of Crimea.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By swede1986:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
Sweden NATO accession documents have made their way to the US Department of State and its the official depository of NATO protocols.

This is the last step of the process of a country’s NATO membership application

Welcome to NATO Viking warriors!

🇸🇪

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH-VRpiWEAAc7sG?format=jpg&name=large

Welcome aboard!

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Most SMEs are saying it's going to take until 2025 for the increase in European production capacity to be felt by the Ukrainians. So, this should provide a halfway decent backstop. More can and should be done, though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#25]

From the Russian ship POV video, I am wondering if those Sea Baby drones are armored against small arms fire a bit.
View All Quotes

Maybe add some AR500 plates.

From the Russian ship POV video, I am wondering if those Sea Baby drones are armored against small arms fire a bit.

Probably, it wouldn’t take much weight to armor one against .30 rifle fire, especially if you just armored the frontal aspect.  I bet 75# of armor plate would make it basically immune to fire from the forward 45 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it ok if you've been taught since a toddler to still believe that killing Communists is a patriotic act?

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Probably, it wouldn’t take much weight to armor one against .30 rifle fire, especially if you just armored the frontal aspect.  I bet 75# of armor plate would make it basically immune to fire from the forward 45 degrees.
View Quote

saw tracers glancing off of something
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

Most SMEs are saying it's going to take until 2025 for the increase in European production capacity to be felt by the Ukrainians. So, this should provide a halfway decent backstop. More can and should be done, though.
View All Quotes

I agree, as said before, we and NATO need to give from stockpiles now so that later in the year we catch up on production of new rounds.  Then we can start shipping older rounds while replenishing our stockpiles with the newest production.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]

I agree, as said before, we and NATO need to give from stockpiles now so that later in the year we catch up on production of new rounds.  Then we can start shipping older rounds while replenishing our stockpiles with the newest production.

View All Quotes

GD will say we need our arty with a 50 mile range to fight china Lol
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

View All Quotes

That gets me everytime.

South Korea has HUGE stockpiles because of their neighbors, and Taiwan has a lot of artillery to keep the Chinese off their beaches.

Long range systems are going to be the big players in that scenario.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#31]

That gets me everytime.

South Korea has HUGE stockpiles because of their neighbors, and Taiwan has a lot of artillery to keep the Chinese off their beaches.

View All Quotes

That gets me everytime.

Chinese and U.S. troops won’t be 500 miles from each other, let alone 50, before Nukes are used.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Chinese and U.S. troops won’t be 500 miles from each other, let alone 50, before Nukes are used.
View All Quotes

That gets me everytime.

I don't feel 100% confident making that assertion, but it's because I'm not 100% confident that I don't think we should fight China directly over Taiwan. I'm very supportive of working towards beefing up Taiwan's military and getting domestic semiconductor production online, but I don't want to get into a shooting war with China over Taiwan. I'll stop the derail here, though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/22FV5Z0.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/HJRB3ve.jpeg

From topwar.ru

View Quote

It’s all Russian sources that say that. In truth rodents like Soviet wiring too and it’s probably asbestos and lead.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone have a rough estimate of how many tanks and artillery Russia had before this started ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

GD says we will need expired, 30 year old Atacms and Harms to fight china
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Spartan0536:
Does anyone here know how feasible it would be to have a HIMARS platform fitted to ground launch Tomahawk TLAM's? Not that I would expect Washington to send Ukraine even the aging stockpile of Tomahawk III's and IV's as the Army and Navy replace them with the new Block V. Yes the US Army was stated to have selected the Tomahawk Land Attack Missile as it's ground launched medium range strike option alongside with ground based SM-6's.

Imagine Russia having to deal with HIMARS launching BGM-109 Tomahawks with a range of about 850km - 1000km

I feel like this would be the weapons system that would be the final nail in the coffin for Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
View Quote

It’s a meter and change too long but you can launch them from fixed mounts and moving launchers are in the works.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

It’s a meter and change too long but you can launch them from fixed mounts and moving launchers are in the works.
View Quote

Looking up Wiki they are 3500 pounds which coupled with the pressure from launching probably puts a lot of stress on the 5 ton FMTV or 2.5 ton LMTV chassis.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I'll raise a glass with you.  Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#39]
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:
Anyone have a rough estimate of how many tanks and artillery Russia had before this started ?
View Quote

Tanks: At least 3k combat ready within 2 weeks.
Artillery: Over 4k tubes of all different types.

Tanks in long term storage: Over 15k identified via satellite, but lots of unuseable scrap.

But nobody knows for sure, not even the Russians.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Congratulations! To us all really. Sweden ( and Finland) are a great addition to our alliance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Another view of this type of modified MT-LB, which has now been seen many times around Novomykhailivka, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine. 2023
View Quote

01 April 2023

An heavily modified MT-LB in operation by Russia's 39th Separate Guards Motorised Rifle Brigade, 68th Army Corps, Eastern Military District.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Looking up Wiki they are 3500 pounds which coupled with the pressure from launching probably puts a lot of stress on the 5 ton FMTV or 2.5 ton LMTV chassis.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

ATACMS is heavier.

But the length thing is a killer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

That gets me everytime.

Yeah, Chinese aren't ready for that option as of yet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

We had a combined B52/B1/Gripen overflight of Stockholm today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

That gets me everytime.

There's US troops within 500 miles of China right now, in Okinawa and S. Korea.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

That gets me everytime.

Fighting
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#48]

In the video that Prime (and I) posted earlier, the former ambassador says straight out that without NATO membership, Ukraine would have to become a highly militarized fortress state to stave off future aggression. He says the support for NATO membership is extremely strong in the country, and is the only real solution to Ukraine's security situation.

There's an underlying story here that one of Putin's objectives is not just to restore the Russian Empire, but to break NATO. So far, it's working. NATO, which had already gutted all its own militaries post cold war, has dropped a large pile of its remaining capacity into Ukraine giving them less cushion for the future, and the recent German leak shows there are real gaps in the alliance.

IMO it's a given that Putin will move on the Baltics after consolidating and pacifying Ukraine/Moldova. A quick strike through the Baltics (which would cover less area than their initial 2022 Ukraine invasion) would establish facts on the ground that NATO would find very difficult to overturn. Much of NATO is afraid of things that are difficult or risky or could cost some lives. This is the pain point where Putin could completely destroy the alliance as NATO would lose unity, and therefore be unable to respond timely or effectively. The geopolitical strategic shakeup would profoundly alter the world balance.
View All Quotes
Good assessment. Lets not forget that some blame "NATO expansion" for this war that "forced Putin" into "defending" Russia. It's total bullshit but how do they square that peg by now offering membership in exchange for peace?

With a very uncertain NATO membership, Ukraine would have to be fully militarized and able to defend themselves (nukes?) without NATO before agreeing to anything. AND if NATO fails to truly save Ukraine now, either because they are too lazy, corrupt, or inept to maintain a credible military, or they are too timid, compromised, conflicted, etc (Germany) then how strong will they come to the rescue if/when Ukraine is attacked again in the future? More "little green Russian men" claiming to be rescuing ethnic Russians and the weak-kneed Euro-weenies will again try to stick their heads in the sand.

Maybe Ukraine should bring up the possibility of trading a land corridor to the Polish border to the Russians in exchange for peace and see what Germany says to that.

In the video that Prime (and I) posted earlier, the former ambassador says straight out that without NATO membership, Ukraine would have to become a highly militarized fortress state to stave off future aggression. He says the support for NATO membership is extremely strong in the country, and is the only real solution to Ukraine's security situation.

There's an underlying story here that one of Putin's objectives is not just to restore the Russian Empire, but to break NATO. So far, it's working. NATO, which had already gutted all its own militaries post cold war, has dropped a large pile of its remaining capacity into Ukraine giving them less cushion for the future, and the recent German leak shows there are real gaps in the alliance.

IMO it's a given that Putin will move on the Baltics after consolidating and pacifying Ukraine/Moldova. A quick strike through the Baltics (which would cover less area than their initial 2022 Ukraine invasion) would establish facts on the ground that NATO would find very difficult to overturn. Much of NATO is afraid of things that are difficult or risky or could cost some lives. This is the pain point where Putin could completely destroy the alliance as NATO would lose unity, and therefore be unable to respond timely or effectively. The geopolitical strategic shakeup would profoundly alter the world balance.

Realistically, it’s going to have to be countries like Poland, Finland & Sweden that provide NATO leadership, moving forward.  

Germany is politically compromised and completely checked out.

France is France.

The US position sways with the wind, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#49]

ATACMS is heavier.

But the length thing is a killer.
View Quote

Good point.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#50]

We had a combined B52/B1/Gripen overflight of Stockholm today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/nato6_png-3151215.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/nato5_jpg-3151216.JPG
View Quote

So much for stopping Nato expansion
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5463 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top