Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5465 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH9S3nPWMAICr6c?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

It has that "V1" look. They should have added a fake pulse-jet to the top just for PR.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

It has that "V1" look. They should have added a fake pulse-jet to the top just for PR.
View Quote

Let the tipping begin.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

I don't feel 100% confident making that assertion, but it's because I'm not 100% confident that I don't think we should fight China directly over Taiwan. I'm very supportive of working towards beefing up Taiwan's military and getting domestic semiconductor production online, but I don't want to get into a shooting war with China over Taiwan. I'll stop the derail here, though.
View Quote

I guess it's possible we could need 155mm if things drag out to direct fighting in say the Philippines or S. Korea. Or maybe Australia (hell maybe Austria too). But it will be very unlikely to make a huge difference at that point.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

GD says we will need expired, 30 year old Atacms and Harms to fight china
View Quote

But NOONE is claiming that we will need those 3000+ Abrams rusting in the desert. And THAT is what Ukraine needs!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 3Florks:

Kontact armor
View Quote

LOL. Some modification between kontact and a claymore mine...
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#7]
"Sea Baby" drones haul butt

what speed?

Sea Baby Drone In Action
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
NSFW

View Quote

I guess there really are some high risers, some shooting stars (if you will) within Putin's army.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By doc540:

what speed?

Sea Baby Drone In Action
View Quote

My SeaDoo 300 (with the GPS speed limiter deleted) does 75 on a Garmin. The non-supercharged are going closer to 60. If you took the powerplant from a 300, put it in a custom hull and loaded it down with 1000 pounds of HE, I’d bet it would still do 40 easy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

Congratulations! To us all really. Sweden ( and Finland) are a great addition to our alliance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By swede1986:

I'm drinking Champagne tonight.

Congratulations! To us all really. Sweden ( and Finland) are a great addition to our alliance.

Amen!

What a great addition.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]

The Russian invasion in one image.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIBsztTXkAAykYA?format=jpg&name=900x900
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
NSFW

WOW

Thanks for that one. cant even fathom why a Russian private doesn't just gtf out of dodge.  

Blown UP SIR !
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

My SeaDoo 300 (with the GPS speed limiter deleted) does 75 on a Garmin. The non-supercharged are going closer to 60. If you took the powerplant from a 300, put it in a custom hull and loaded it down with 1000 pounds of HE, I’d bet it would still do 40 easy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

what speed?

Sea Baby Drone In Action

Sea state is probably the biggest issue.  They might hit 40 on a flat calm but I bet they can barely do 20-25 in chop.
In the 3rd party video where you get a glimpse of one on approach, it probably wasn’t doing more than 15KTs.
The other piece of evidence is the frequent videos of them tail-chasing target ships.  It makes the most sense if the operators aren’t leading enough and/or the drones aren’t much faster than the target ships.  In heavy chop they may even be slower.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Movements of Iskanders of the Republic of Belarus Armed Forces were recorded in the Minsk region

Today, a convoy of the Iskander-M operational-tactical missile system (OTRK) of the RB Armed Forces was spotted on the M5 highway. The convoy included three self-propelled launchers, three transport-loaders and one command and staff vehicle. The column was accompanied by two crews of the VAI RB.

The column entered the M5 highway from the direction of ag. Pukhovichi and continued moving in the direction of Osipovichi. The Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Belarus did not report holding exercises with the 465th Missile Brigade.

The Iskander-M OTRK is in service with the 465th Missile Brigade, which is stationed in Osipovichi. It was reported that the brigade has two divisions armed with Iskanders. The brigade is also armed with Tochka-U missile systems.

If you or someone you know has observed any military activity, report or pass information through friends abroad to @HajunBYbot or through the feedback form on the website. Any information is important to us.

https://t.me/Hajun_BY/7740

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
❗️🇷🇺🇺🇦 Ukrainian drone raid on oil facilities

During the day, Ukrainian formations attacked three different areas, launching drones from the Sumy region at intervals of several hours. But what matters is not where they were flying from, but where they were going.

In Belgorod, Kursk, and Voronezh regions, the Armed Forces of Ukraine tried to hit oil facilities. And somewhere, such as in Zheleznogorsk, Ukrainian units succeeded.

All three oil depots are located in populated areas near the so-called. Ukraine is actually in the front-line zone, and all three have developed railway connections, used, among other things, in the interests of the Russian Armed Forces.

Of course, such raids will not cut off supplies at all, but an important fact should be taken into account: cheap drones cause damage to multi-million dollar objects when they hit. And this creates problems not only for Russian troops, but also for the ordinary population, as well as industrial enterprises.

https://t.me/rybar/57942

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#15]
🇷🇺🇺🇦 Chronicle of a special military operation
For March 6, 2024

Russian troops again attacked industrial enterprises and military installations in Odessa and other rear regions. One of the most high-profile events of the day was an alleged missile attack on Zelensky’s motorcade, which was holding a meeting with the Greek Minister of Defense.

In the Liman direction, the Russian Armed Forces have been trying to gain a foothold on the northern outskirts of Ternov over the past few days, but so far the Armed Forces of Ukraine, through the transfer of manpower, are holding positions in the populated area.

In the Avdeevsky direction, the enemy transferred reinforcements to the Berdychi area and recaptured the western part of the village, but was unable to advance further under fire from the Russian Armed Forces. In Tonenkoye the situation remains unchanged; in the Orlovka area fighting continues on the northwestern outskirts.

In the Donetsk direction in Krasnogorovka, the Russian Armed Forces are positioned on Lermontov and Zheleznodorozhnaya streets. In Georgievka, assault troops made significant progress along Peschanaya Street on the northern edge of the reservoir, aligning the front line with the opposite bank.

In the Kherson direction, the enemy repeatedly used aviation to attack advanced Russian positions on the left bank of the Dnieper. In addition, the Armed Forces of Ukraine, with the help of a satellite constellation of NATO countries, are conducting satellite reconnaissance of the positions of the Russian Armed Forces on the Kinburn Peninsula, the southwestern part of the Kherson region and the Tendrovskaya Spit.

🔻A detailed analytical report on events in the Special Military Operation zone is available on our closed channel @rybar_plus_bot

https://t.me/rybar/57937

⚡️Frontline report for the morning 03/06/2024⚡️

On the Zaporozhye front, the Ukrainian Armed Forces are trying to counterattack in the area of ​​the village of Rabotino, with the goal of dislodging Russian troops from previously occupied lines on the southern outskirts of the village. Artillery is actively working on both sides.

The active offensive of the Russian Armed Forces continues in the Donetsk direction. Despite the stubborn resistance of the Ukrainian Armed Forces in Krasnogorovka, our troops managed to gain a foothold on the southern outskirts of the city. The situation is similar in Georgievka, where the RF Armed Forces are advancing deeper into the village.
Fierce oncoming battles are taking place in Berdychi and Pobeda, and the Ukrainian Armed Forces continue to bring in reserves there. Russian troops also managed to advance in Novomikhailovka.

In the Bakhmut direction, the RF Armed Forces continue assault operations in Ivanovskoye (Krasnoye), where, unlike Bogdanovka, in the area of ​​which the Armed Forces of Ukraine were able to temporarily stabilize the front at the expense of reserves, the initiative remains entirely with the RF Armed Forces.

In the Lugansk direction, Russian troops, with the support of artillery, continue successful assault operations near Yampolevka and Ternov. Fierce fighting continues in the Tabaevka area, as a result of which the Russian Armed Forces abandoned some of the previously occupied positions.

https://t.me/wargonzo/18584

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Can anyone count the victims of that blast? 3, 4, or more?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Civilian vessel reported the Ukrainian drones about 12 hours before the attack.

Black Sea

They write to us that on the afternoon of March 4, 2024, the civilian ship "ELLA" apparently discovered targets resembling MBEC. Handed over to the owners of the company. She sent out a warning about the danger to the captains of civilian ships. The objects were classified as surface unmanned vehicles. They were able to film them.

On the night of March 4-5, 2024, the Black Sea Fleet ship Sergei Kotov was attacked near Feodosia and died in a battle with MBEC. The entire crew was saved.

⭐️Perhaps the Russian Navy should pay attention to expanding sources of information about the surface situation.

Two majors

https://t.me/dva_majors/35976

So, again enemy BECs and again the death of the ship.

Much has been written on this topic. I watched the video and didn't see anything new. More precisely, I saw it, but it was already old.

I carefully analyzed the sources I found and the following becomes clear:

1. The PC "Sergey Kotov" was supposedly on air defense combat duty in the area of ​​the Crimean Bridge, as evidenced by the published interception of the enemy (it seems very likely that this was the case). Why on air defense combat duty a ship that is not equipped with air defense systems (except for MANPADS and artillery with dubious capabilities to destroy enemy missiles) is not very clear to me personally. That is, it is not at all clear. Theoretically, of course, the ship will be able to shoot down a missile with artillery, but as practice shows, it cannot even really hit the BEC.

2. The ship's crew fought to the last, bursts of small arms fire were heard immediately before the explosion. The guys did everything they could.

3. Apparently, coastal surveillance systems, both naval and border, cannot cope with the assigned tasks, and are not capable of detecting small group targets in our terrorist waters. It is sad.

4. The most effective means against BEC is helicopters.

Next I will write how I see a system to counter this threat. Maybe someone from the authorities will read it and use it.

⚓️

https://t.me/BattleSailor13/7828

We continue the topic of maritime drones and BECs.

The enemy is announcing a much more dangerous option for using BECs, not just as kamikazes, which at the moment is effective mainly due to the imperfection of the organization of the fight against them. But sooner or later, organizational measures will be taken and the effectiveness of the current BECs will drop to zero.

Therefore, the enemy thinks ahead, we must give him his due. What are the risks of equipping BECs with air defense systems?

Firstly, the most effective method of interception, from helicopters, will become extremely dangerous. The hunter can easily become the game.

Secondly, they can fight against reconnaissance UAVs, against large patrol UAVs (if they can marry something more serious than MANPADS)

Thirdly, they can essentially perform a kind of function of mining the water area from aircraft. Covertly place the BEC, and, according to external target designation, launch a rocket through a satellite communication channel. This will become a huge threat to aviation over the sea. And they will also be able to intercept some cruise missiles if their trajectories go over the sea.

Fourthly, modern air defense missiles, as a rule, have the function of working against ground targets, especially over the sea, where targets are radio-contrast. That is, such a warhead will be able to snarl against patrol boats, for which even a small warhead is extremely dangerous..

Thus, this solution allows us to eliminate most of the measures that are necessary to counteract BECs. Which means the extreme danger of such a development of BECs. In this situation, they actually become a convenient reusable platform that you don’t mind losing and at the same time has an efficiency comparable to a corvette. Only in dozens of pieces.

The only question is that technically this is indeed a non-trivial task, so it is most likely that they will only be able to attach MANPADS. Nevertheless, this will also be a rather dangerous modification.

Heavy UAVs loaded with guided missiles and detection systems at a considerable distance will help against such a drone. As well as false targets and interference.

Russian Engineer -

https://t.me/rusengineer/3057

#your #blacksea #unhealthyphilosophy

In order to so competently coordinate an attack of two dozen BECs, it is necessary to constantly receive accurate intelligence data in real time.
The NATO satellite constellation cannot fully provide this. But the RQ-4 Global Hawk reconnaissance UAVs do this 24/7.
Do we have the technical ability to shoot them down?
Yes.
Will the fact of destroying a UAV be a violation of International Law?
Yes.
However, the red lines have long been passed.
I have repeatedly argued that after the collapse of the USSR, International Law became a toy in the hands of the strongest.
Yugoslavia, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Yemen are vivid examples.
Today, no one is stopping Israel from striking the independent states of Lebanon and Syria.
No one is stopping the United States from launching strikes around the world.
Therefore, International Law is a rag on which everyone wipes their feet.

NATO drones must be shot down!
Cruel and cynical!

https://t.me/evilsailor/627

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Sea state is probably the biggest issue.  They might hit 40 on a flat calm but I bet they can barely do 20-25 in chop.
In the 3rd party video where you get a glimpse of one on approach, it probably wasn’t doing more than 15KTs.
The other piece of evidence is the frequent videos of them tail-chasing target ships.  It makes the most sense if the operators aren’t leading enough and/or the drones aren’t much faster than the target ships.  In heavy chop they may even be slower.
View Quote

Maybe attach a pair of rocket assisted take-off JATO things for a "terminal phase" the last 100 yards. Would certainly pucker some sphincters on the ship especially if the thing is firing those RU rocket flamethrower things all while blasting Flight of the Valkyrie...
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Did you notice in the video how they zig and zagged?

It appeared one may have had rudder damage, but the others looked like they were taking evasive action making them harder to hit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ike838:

Just thinking out loud but I think the pilings driven in the seabed are the weak link.
I imagine a mine clearing charge draped across those pilings 30 feet below the surface would be the end of that bridge for a very long time.
View Quote

They recently showed off a new sea drone they claimed could submerge for a short period of time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

If we did an "I'm out" gif for when we are done with a thread, this would make a good one.
View Quote

sketti thread!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#22]

I guess it's possible we could need 155mm if things drag out to direct fighting in say the Philippines or S. Korea. Or maybe Australia (hell maybe Austria too). But it will be very unlikely to make a huge difference at that point.
View Quote

At that point, things are getting beyond spicy. Ain't nobody got that kind of inventory.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Hopefully both France and Romania are already in country doing things that need to be done.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
If you were wondering why the current US Government is supporting Ukraine over Russia, here is John Kerry with the answer!  UNREAL: John Kerry says people would 'feel better' about the war in Ukraine  Between pResident Biden's "just the tip" speech prior to the February 2022 invasion and now this, I do not have words to describe the level of unseriousness of our current administration in addressing the biggest threat to European security since the Cold War!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/IPy3qSl.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/L8cEWlu.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/cTmqEkr.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/dpAoxjE.jpeg

Bulgarian deliveries to Ukraine.

It seems they are cleaning out some depots.
View Quote

As an APC, even a BTR-60 beats a Toyota.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/IPy3qSl.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/L8cEWlu.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/cTmqEkr.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/dpAoxjE.jpeg

Bulgarian deliveries to Ukraine.

It seems they are cleaning out some depots.

BTR-60 is t that much different than a BTR-80/82

It’s much better than a loaf scooby van.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Maybe attach a pair of rocket assisted take-off JATO things for a "terminal phase" the last 100 yards. Would certainly pucker some sphincters on the ship especially if the thing is firing those RU rocket flamethrower things all while blasting Flight of the Valkyrie...
View Quote

Yeah some sort of rpg on the front to fire off at the start of the run could keep heads down. Probably easy enough to rig up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#28]
More footage from a nearby ship.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIAa7dHWsAEHTQX?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Wow!  Awesome find, can’t wait for more videos.  I bet we’ll see a bunch eventually.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

They recently showed off a new sea drone they claimed could submerge for a short period of time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By Ike838:

Just thinking out loud but I think the pilings driven in the seabed are the weak link.
I imagine a mine clearing charge draped across those pilings 30 feet below the surface would be the end of that bridge for a very long time.

South American drug cartels have made submarines.  It seems to me that it would be feasible to make drones with intake and exhaust pipes and a periscope/antenna.  It wouldn't be completely invisible from the surface, but it would be much harder to spot at night.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
Sweden NATO accession documents have made their way to the US Department of State and its the official depository of NATO protocols.

This is the last step of the process of a country’s NATO membership application

Welcome to NATO Viking warriors!

🇸🇪

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GH-VRpiWEAAc7sG?format=jpg&name=large

Welcome to the Party, Pal! #shorts
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#31]

🇦🇲🇷🇺 The Armenian authorities officially demanded that Russia stop the activities of the Russian FSB border guards at the capital’s Zvartnots airport.

📌Since 1991, Russia has been helping Armenia guard state borders, since the republic does not have enough of its own border troops. In addition to the airport, Russian border detachments participate in protecting the border with Turkey and Iran and are located in Gyumri, Armavir, Artashat and Meghri.

At the same time, citizens of Armenia are allowed to serve in the border department of the FSB of the Russian Federation.

▪️The other day, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that the discussion of the withdrawal of Russian border troops from the Yerevan airport “follows the logic that the Armenian leadership is now setting out.”

▪️Until 2024, the Armenian authorities did not express any complaints about the work of Russian border guards at Zvartnots airport. However, recently loud and speculative statements have begun to be heard.

▪️For example, the Speaker of the Armenian Parliament Alen Simonyan at the end of February demanded to stop the work of Russian border guards at the airport, since they “did not protect, but did everything to make the borders more vulnerable: FSB officers escorted the Armenian people out of Nagorno-Karabakh and will take everyone out of Zvartnots one day".

That is, the politician did not express any specific claims on the merits, limiting himself to standard anti-Russian rhetoric.

🔻At the same time, for now we are only talking about the withdrawal of border guards from the airport, because Armenia still does not have enough of its own resources to guard the Turkish-Iranian section of the border.

However, given recent trends, including threats to leave the CSTO and demands to remove the Russian base from Gyumri, Pashinyan’s team is unlikely to stop there.

https://t.me/rybar/57930

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Is it ok if you've been taught since a toddler to still believe that killing Communists is a patriotic act?

View Quote

I’m OK with that,
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Black Sea, February 14, 2024, footage of the battle of our large landing ship “Caesar Kunikov” with Ukrainian MBEC

As you can see, the crew is fighting bravely for their ship. They fire from everything possible. Moreover, the majority of fire weapons are machine guns.

You can talk as much as you like about the notorious “turret installations”; the proposed measures have already been listed by Battle_🅉_Sailor, from the list of which we think most likely to be implemented in the shortest possible time is point 5:

"5. Destruction of the BEC. Department of Warhead-2. Special training of artillery crews, as well as strengthening the protection of ships by increasing its firepower through the installation of additional heavy small arms (and this is not the DShK of 1939). At a minimum, CORDs with thermal imaging sights. And you don’t need to skimp on them. The most expensive ones are with a cooled matrix. Just check the sights not at sea, as we like, but at the training ground. And don’t forget to charge the batteries, and it’s also advisable to buy spare ones. At a maximum: additional anti-aircraft guns, of which warehouses - eat your ass."

⭐️We have no doubt about the heroism of the crew of the large landing ship Caesar Kunikov. But we have repeatedly heard from front-line soldiers that in war, most often, “the heroism of some is a consequence of the d******ism of others.”

We are sure that after all the stories with the ships of the Black Sea Fleet, all conclusions have already been drawn.

They would sooner come to life.

Two majors

https://t.me/dva_majors/35959

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:
Anyone have a rough estimate of how many tanks and artillery Russia had before this started ?
View Quote

A lot more than they do now!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:38:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#35]
Streiff's update from Redstate.  Does a good summation of the Sergei Kotov sinking, with a couple of the better video links.  Please forward to the usual suspects who "don't trust" msm and foreign sources.Russian Navy Loses Another Missile Ship to Ukrainian Drones
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#36]

⭕️ Roman Ivanov, a RusNews journalist, was sentenced to 7 years in prison in the case of “fake news” about the Russian Armed Forces

The Korolyovsky City Court of the Moscow Region today sentenced RusNews journalist Roman Ivanov to 7 years in prison in the case of “fakes” about the Russian Armed Forces.

Previously, the state prosecution asked him for 8 years in a general regime colony.

RusNews journalist Roman Ivanov was accused of “fakes” about the Russian army for posts on social networks. In one of them, he shared a UN report and a New York Times article about Buche's events.

Roman Ivanov is the second RusNews journalist after Maria Ponomarenko, who was sentenced for “fakes” about the Russian Armed Forces.

https://t.me/rusnews/49972

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Loose lips don’t just sink ships

A source from the Cheka-OGPU reported on the arrest of the chairman of a large military-patriotic organization in Rostov-on-Don - an unusual arsenal with 8 TOMPSON submachine guns was discovered in his possession. According to the interlocutor, 34-year-old Rostovite, chairman of the Don Front organization Vitaly Makovetsky is involved in a criminal case for illegal arms trafficking. Under the pretext of organizing reenactments of historical military battles, he kept weapons as props. This was discovered back in February, but already in March, the other day, security forces came to search the garage rented by the patriot and were surprised. A real cache was set up there, from which the following were seized: 8 TOMPSON submachine guns, a PPSh-41 submachine gun, a PPS submachine gun. All barrels are firearms and are suitable for firing shots. Recently, another criminal case was opened against the gunsmith.

https://t.me/vchkogpu/46384

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#38]

We had a combined B52/B1/Gripen overflight of Stockholm today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/nato6_png-3151215.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/nato5_jpg-3151216.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

I'll raise a glass with you.  Welcome aboard.

We had a combined B52/B1/Gripen overflight of Stockholm today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/nato6_png-3151215.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/nato5_jpg-3151216.JPG

Nothing like a little show for the Russian pricks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

Realistically, it’s going to have to be countries like Poland, Finland & Sweden that provide NATO leadership, moving forward.  

Germany is politically compromised and completely checked out.

France is France.

The US position sways with the wind, unfortunately.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Good assessment. Lets not forget that some blame "NATO expansion" for this war that "forced Putin" into "defending" Russia. It's total bullshit but how do they square that peg by now offering membership in exchange for peace?

With a very uncertain NATO membership, Ukraine would have to be fully militarized and able to defend themselves (nukes?) without NATO before agreeing to anything. AND if NATO fails to truly save Ukraine now, either because they are too lazy, corrupt, or inept to maintain a credible military, or they are too timid, compromised, conflicted, etc (Germany) then how strong will they come to the rescue if/when Ukraine is attacked again in the future? More "little green Russian men" claiming to be rescuing ethnic Russians and the weak-kneed Euro-weenies will again try to stick their heads in the sand.

Maybe Ukraine should bring up the possibility of trading a land corridor to the Polish border to the Russians in exchange for peace and see what Germany says to that.

In the video that Prime (and I) posted earlier, the former ambassador says straight out that without NATO membership, Ukraine would have to become a highly militarized fortress state to stave off future aggression. He says the support for NATO membership is extremely strong in the country, and is the only real solution to Ukraine's security situation.

There's an underlying story here that one of Putin's objectives is not just to restore the Russian Empire, but to break NATO. So far, it's working. NATO, which had already gutted all its own militaries post cold war, has dropped a large pile of its remaining capacity into Ukraine giving them less cushion for the future, and the recent German leak shows there are real gaps in the alliance.

IMO it's a given that Putin will move on the Baltics after consolidating and pacifying Ukraine/Moldova. A quick strike through the Baltics (which would cover less area than their initial 2022 Ukraine invasion) would establish facts on the ground that NATO would find very difficult to overturn. Much of NATO is afraid of things that are difficult or risky or could cost some lives. This is the pain point where Putin could completely destroy the alliance as NATO would lose unity, and therefore be unable to respond timely or effectively. The geopolitical strategic shakeup would profoundly alter the world balance.

Realistically, it’s going to have to be countries like Poland, Finland & Sweden that provide NATO leadership, moving forward.  

Germany is politically compromised and completely checked out.

France is France.

The US position sways with the wind, unfortunately.

The center of gravity of NATO definitely shifted.  The new members are frontliners with historical experience and major concerns about the Russian threat.
Finland, the Baltics, and Poland are all in the same boat and together they’ll be a strong block within NATO.  Germany can’t just blow them off anymore.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:37:50 AM EDT
[#40]
NSFW

View Quote

Reminds me of one from early in the war (Russian POV) where one group of Russians in a civilian car was following another, when the first one ran over two mines.  They had to clean guys out of the field for 50 yards around.  One of the first real NSFW videos of the war I remember.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#41]
'Destroyed In One Shot': Russia Knocks Out Another American Abrams; Proves 'Tin Can' Claim 'Right'
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#42]

For both Russia and Ukraine nazi symbols are generally anti-communist symbols and have little or nothing to do with antisemitism. To them, WWII was not about the holocaust or the Jews, as this was just some minor sideshow to them (more Russian/Ukrainian POW's starved to death in the war than Jews died in camps). Basically somewhat similar to the Confederate flag in the USA. 0.00% of folks flying a rebel flag want to own any slaves (or be around black people).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

The subject of Azov, Pravyy Sektor, and other Ukrainian ultranationalist formations is a complicated one. They use some symbolism that has some questionable meanings, such as Wolfsangels, Sonnenrads, and even just UPA flags. That being said, they aren't invading other countries and ethnically cleansing their populations. Additionally, Azov garrisoned Mariupol for eight years, and there wasn't a single anti-Semitic attack or hate crime in general linked to members of the regiment. Both Azov and Pravyy Sektor posses a number of Russian speakers, and I know Pravyy Sektor has a number of Jews in their ranks. The main conclusion I've come to is that they view the aforementioned symbols as just being a way to insult and piss off the Russians, more than anything.

Regardless, the Ukrainian far right has consistently done horrible at the ballot box. In 2019, when they presented a united front, they got 2.15% of the vote. The height of their popularity was during the reign of Yanukovych, whose pro-Russian policies sparked nationalist backlash. Even then, Svoboda only got 10% of the vote. It should also be noted that the Party of Regions deliberately promoted Svoboda and gave them TV time, as they made for a convenient sparring partner. I'd also point out that the people who complain about Ukrainian ultranationalist formations ignore the fact that a ton of far right formations have been fighting for Russia in the Donbas for a decade (Sparta, Rusich, Wagner, Russian Imperial Legion, etc.), and the fact that Russia supports most of Europe's neo-Nazi parties, the leadership of whom came to "observe" the referendums during the annexation of Crimea.

For both Russia and Ukraine nazi symbols are generally anti-communist symbols and have little or nothing to do with antisemitism. To them, WWII was not about the holocaust or the Jews, as this was just some minor sideshow to them (more Russian/Ukrainian POW's starved to death in the war than Jews died in camps). Basically somewhat similar to the Confederate flag in the USA. 0.00% of folks flying a rebel flag want to own any slaves (or be around black people).

Yes, the narrative that was promoted by the Russians after WW2 is relevant here. They highlighted the anti-Soviet, anti-Slavic, and, especially, the anti-Russian elements of Nazi ideology, while downplaying the anti-Semitic ones. The Russians portrayed themselves as being the least likely to collaborate and the most likely to resist the Nazis, in spite of the fact that this wasn't true at all. We now know that, save for the Volksdeutsch (who unsurprisingly collaborated the most) and the Belarusians (who collaborated a little less), there was no particular correlation between nationality and collaboration. Ukraine was also occupied in its entirety by the Nazis for far longer than the 5-10% of Soviet Russia that the Nazis occupied, and millions of Ukrainians were murdered and worked to death by the Nazis. Nevertheless, this hasn't stopped the Russians from portraying themselves as resistors and the Ukrainians as collaborators.

All you need to do to understand the Russian view on Nazism is watch the Putin-Carlson interview, in which Putin blames Poland for provoking the Nazis. It was never really about Slavic pain, let alone Soviet pain as a whole. No, it was always about remembering Russian pain and struggle above all else. Jews in the USSR used to get punished for remembering that their family members were murdered at Babi Yar.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Don't feed the troll.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
I also know that solder on printed circuit boards made in the last few years is crap too. It has a high tin content and no lead. It it does not flow properly and makes hand soldering difficult. I have a couple of rolls of it and it is "shit", BUT the largest problem is the fact after a few years it grows crystals called "tin whiskers" which can short out components and traces. Making for an early failure of the board. Yes this is a European "green initiative "  called Rohs" Reduction Of Hazardous Substances. There is always a price to pay for any green initiative.
View Quote

i architect, design, validate, and deploy high-end optical telecommunications equipment for a living; this equipment is in use by market segments including traditional telecom carriers, webscale-size datacenter operators, and submarine cable terminal companies.   you have heard of our customers, some of them run commercials during the super bowl.  

my company has found via extensive accelerated stress testing and via field return monitoring (including equipment operated under a wide variety of environmental conditions) that the use of solder and solder attachment methods employed in compliance with RoHS 6/6 have not been detrimental to reliability compared with traditional lead-based solder.  we have many hundreds of thousands of RoHS circuit boards in the field running 24.7 and carrying many hundreds of terabits per second of traffic for more than 2000 customers worldwide -- and there has not been degradation of circuit board reliability due to RoHS.  we have in-house Xray, 5DX (see jpeg), and SEM to inspect solder attachment reliability/uniformity, and we know what we are looking for and at.  

there are many, many component technologies (and incidentally many, many component vendors ) that have caused far more system qualification and field issues than RoHS soldering; the ubiquitous ceramic chip capacitor, for example.  

above, i thought some would be interested in what a typical "side view" 5DX quasi-3D X-ray looks like. this is a high-areal-density, BGA-packaged, in-house-designed, mixed-signal ASIC.  besides the solder balls, you can see the board's internal vias, and the copper traces in/on the board including traces that were squiggled for matched length (P/N signal edge alignment).  the sorta-blurry  rectangular blobs that you see in front of the ball field are actually SMT caps mounted on the opposite side of the board.  the Xray focus plane could be adjusted downward to the caps and then you would see that solder attachment detail with as much clarity as you see now with the balls up top.   and/or you can flip the board and do the same thing from the other side.  circled in red, you can see two balls that were "suspects of interest" for the 5DX process.  in this case, however, nothing anomalous turned up during the inspection.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Try this one.

https://x.com/Aerobomber_UA/status/1763854508147315135
It might be you aren't logged into Twitter.
View Quote

It's the same old story. Twitter restricts certain content from users who are not logged-in users. With the end of Nitter, we now have no way to access such content. Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

i architect, design, validate, and deploy high-end optical telecommunications equipment for a living; this equipment is in use by market segments including traditional telecom carriers, webscale-size datacenter operators, and submarine cable terminal companies.   you have heard of our customers, some of them run commercials during the super bowl.  

my company has found via extensive accelerated stress testing and via field return monitoring (including equipment operated under a wide variety of environmental conditions) that the use of solder and solder attachment methods employed in compliance with RoHS 6/6 have not been detrimental to reliability compared with traditional lead-based solder.  we have many hundreds of thousands of RoHS circuit boards in the field running 24.7 and carrying many hundreds of terabits per second of traffic for more than 2000 customers worldwide -- and there has not been degradation of circuit board reliability due to RoHS.  we have in-house Xray, 5DX (see jpeg), and SEM to inspect solder attachment reliability/uniformity, and we know what we are looking for and at.  

there are many, many component technologies (and incidentally many, many component vendors ) that have caused far more system qualification and field issues than RoHS soldering; the ubiquitous ceramic chip capacitor, for example.  

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ham/reference/5dx-example.jpg

above, i thought some would be interested in what a typical "side view" 5DX quasi-3D X-ray looks like. this is a high-areal-density, BGA-packaged, in-house-designed, mixed-signal ASIC.  besides the solder balls, you can see the board's internal vias, and the copper traces in/on the board including traces that were squiggled for matched length (P/N signal edge alignment).  the sorta-blurry  rectangular blobs that you see in front of the ball field are actually SMT caps mounted on the opposite side of the board.  the Xray focus plane could be adjusted downward to the caps and then you would see that solder attachment detail with as much clarity as you see now with the balls up top.   and/or you can flip the board and do the same thing from the other side.  circled in red, you can see two balls that were "suspects of interest" for the 5DX process.  in this case, however, nothing anomalous turned up during the inspection.

View Quote

In a high quality industrial setting this is probably true. For a hobbyist with a soldering iron the lead-free solder is harder to  solder right and harder to unsolder. Thankfully, you can still buy leaded solder. The smaller margin for error probably means that in a less than perfect industrial line the chance of making compromised solder joints with lead-free solder is greater.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for that one. cant even fathom why a Russian private doesn't just gtf out of dodge.  
View Quote

They fight because there are Nazis on their land. They must defeat and drive out the Nazis, just like their grandfathers, to save their homeland from hostile foreign forces.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0AhzYgGUX8
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#49]

They fight because there are Nazis on their land. They must defeat and drive out the Nazis, just like their grandfathers, to save their homeland from hostile foreign forces.
View All Quotes

Let's think about it this way: If you're a Russian, what exactly do you have to be proud of in the last century or so? You got your asses kicked so bad in WW1 that communism looked appealing. You then fought a bloody civil war. You then had to deal with Stalin, who executed, imprisoned, and starved millions of you. You then lived under a corrupt kleptocracy that eventually collapsed under the moral bankruptcy. Oh, yeah, and you beat the Nazis. Notwithstanding the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and the fact that non-Russians did a good share of the dying in the Red Army, that's one of the very few things Russians can look back positively on. The rhetoric surrounding Nazis and the Great Patriotic War is Putin tapping into that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:18:52 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

5 or maybe 6.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5465 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top