Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 686 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:

I think there also some takeaway for legacy eastern armor design which prioritizes size over survivability, there is a thought that with how accurate everything is now these days having a smaller vehicle is not worth it at the expense of protection, ergonomics and safe ammo storage, some of the new wheeled ifvs are good example with some of them being bigger than an m1 is some dimensions
View Quote

Sensors and targeting systems being what they are, size isn’t the tactical advantage that it once was but all things equal smaller is lighter and that’s a strategic and tactical mobility advantage. If you made a modern, western standard 45 tonne tank it would sacrifice protection in order to be transportable on third world infrastructure and plainly as you can see from the adoption of wheeled tank destroyers and the proliferation of 105-120mm guns on wheeled and tracked IFVs that’s a legitimate option.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Doritodust:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470154/CAE69388-0BBB-466B-AA60-0C13F70106C2_jpe-2298670.JPG

Anybody believe this? Posted by team osint telegram
View Quote

That means like 10,000 Russian troops are dead.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Strategic update.
Will Russia Take Over Ukraine In The Next 24 Hours? - Ukraine Russia War Update

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#4]
Another kid POW:

Translator: https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1498949550698078211

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:

Right now the entire world is betting on the Russian military ignoring Putin's launch order.
View Quote

If Putin was legit wouldn't he have just invaded when Trump was in? Instead of giving them 4 more years to harden their defenses

Or whatever
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Right now the entire world is betting on the Russian military ignoring Putin's launch order.
View Quote

Wrong. If people were sure Putin couldn't push the button, I am sure Poland would have already gone in and ass fucked Belarus and then mopped up what is left of Russia in Ukraine.  The threat of Putin and his button is the only reason this wasn't done by day 2. Knowing what we do now, pretty much all of our NATO friends would have wiped this sorry excuse of an invasion out as fast as it started.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If the map was legit from Belarus, if the Russians hit Moldova in a week or 2, how does that change the calculus?

Does the West sit back, or do we really have to shut down Russian energy, and own the skies?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
If the map was legit from Belarus, if the Russians hit Moldova in a week or 2, how does that change the calculus?

Does the West sit back, or do we really have to shut down Russian energy, and own the skies?
View Quote

I'm shocked we haven't heard shit about that, especially with the map being exposed.  I assume we are covertly packing in gear there fast and furious as well. Unlike Ukraine, there has been no threats from Russia there. Everything is fair game at this point. I would seriously be considering giving even 2 pilots a quick course on how to fly a 35.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
View Quote

Hopefully they have it pre-sighted as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
686 was the best revolver
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

I kinda wish you’d confine your harassment of martin248 to the Covid forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Wow, the PPP doesn't understand something, how could that be?

Mobile SAM and AA systems didn't get hit for the most part by the Russian early salvos of missiles. Obviously, neither did the man-portable systems. Further, it is very likely that NATO intel from AWACS or other airborne assets in Poland are being provided to the Ukranians and the Russians have no or limited ISR assets. If you don't know whether you're going to be eating a warhead and you don't really have a good mission to go perform, you stay on the ground.

I kinda wish you’d confine your harassment of martin248 to the Covid forum.

I kinda wish that team would leave Arfcom entirely. Maybe you could help with that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

Don't disagree at all with those. I'll add some that other folks are considering:

- What if Putin has other plans for them? (Another related action in an adjacent area like say Moldova and Romania and/or as a check on neighboring countries/NATO)

- What if someone jammed Russian air defense systems?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Action45:
Current speculation:

• NATO air assets (AWACS, F-35's, UAV's) have been coordinating the Ukraine air defense and inflicting punishing losses on the Russians
  • The Russians failed to suppress enough of the Ukrainian AAA defenses
  • The Russian air force can't get off the ground for other reasons (maintenance/readiness, logistics etcetera)

That's huge news if true.

Don't disagree at all with those. I'll add some that other folks are considering:

- What if Putin has other plans for them? (Another related action in an adjacent area like say Moldova and Romania and/or as a check on neighboring countries/NATO)

Sounds like a job for Anonymous
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]

That’s huge news if true.
View All Quotes
Current speculation:

• NATO air assets (AWACS, F-35's, UAV's) have been coordinating the Ukraine air defense and inflicting punishing losses on the Russians
  • The Russian air force can't get off the ground for other reasons (maintenance/readiness, logistics etcetera)

That’s huge news if true.

It's been my assessment as well.  The Ukrainians are playing Battle of Britian on land sea and air.  Someone is giving valuable Intel allowing them to use what little  resources they have to the maximum effect where and when its needed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

I don't know if it's been discussed in this thread as it's relevant to every land combat vehicle (not just MRAPs), but there's a difference between a kill and a mobility kill.

With a kill, the vehicle is destroyed, it's out of the fight entirely, and the crew is probably gone, too.

With a mobility kill, the vehicle can no longer move, and it might not be repairable, but the crew is mostly intact, and the weapons are likely still usable.

Mobility kills are still generally a good thing. The vehicle can no longer chase you or attempt to maneuver around you, and stationary vehicles tend to be very vulnerable. It also forces that vehicle's unit to make a decision to cover, recover, or abandon the vehicle/crew.

Specific to MRAPs, they're pretty good at protecting crews from IEDs, grenades, and small arms, but they tend to be pretty easy to incapacitate, at least relative to other military vehicles. They might be big and cool looking, but at the end of the day, they're just trucks, and the drivetrain components are generally not well protected at all.
View Quote

@freefalle7
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

View All Quotes
Current speculation:

You think an S-400 is connected to the internet?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Russian already has troops in Transniestra, which is a break-way part of Moldova.  They pulled the same stunt there back in late 90s I believe.  "Ethnic Russians need our help!"
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:59:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HostisHumaniGeneris] [#17]

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CS223:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470154/E251C98C-7CEA-487A-B823-649FBAC6FAB2_jpe-2298672.JPG

I couldn't believe it, I had to look it up, its a fucking pulse jet powered drone.
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470154/E251C98C-7CEA-487A-B823-649FBAC6FAB2_jpe-2298672.JPG

I couldn't believe it, I had to look it up, its a fucking pulse jet powered drone.

For sure you could hear that one coming for miles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Moldova doesn't have fighters and only a few planes at all
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
I'm amazed by these human chain videos, I expected ultra-violence from the Russians and they're being gentler than mall cops (most of the time).  Not sure how much of this is ROE and strict orders and how much is a total lack of interest in fighting this war.
View Quote

I think its more about attacking a people that look talk and dress just like mom dad sis etc.
Hard to get troops to attack there own for stupid reasons... There not LEOs.

IMHO
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Current speculation:

It's Russia. Anything is possible at this point.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rgkeller:
Moldova doesn't have fighters and only a few planes at all
View Quote

Moldova has an army of 7000 soldiers. We could supply Moldova with everything they could ever want, they are still not going to do much, they just don't have the trained man power. That said, I hope we do supply them to the tits. Anything to create more dead Russians.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

If Putin was legit wouldn't he have just invaded when Trump was in? Instead of giving them 4 more years to harden their defenses

Or whatever
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Or whatever
He had to get Nordstream 2 completed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Yeah, that's never been the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZ6PFYUM5o
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Toybasher:
I'm surprised though that the Russian vehicles are getting abandoned so often. I thought Russian equipment was supposed to be reliable and could take serious abuse before breaking down.
Yeah, that's never been the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZ6PFYUM5o

That guy was spot on for the T-90.  The company had such bad press because of the T-72 they just rebranded it.

Why Russia's T-90 is Cheap Useless Junk! | Your Favorite Tank Sucks #2
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#25]
Originally Posted By bufschnelling:

I think its more about attacking a people that look talk and dress just like mom dad sis etc.
Hard to get troops to attack there own for stupid reasons... There not LEOs.

IMHO
View Quote

I've been watching some youtube videos by people who have family in ukraine, and other family in russia. They are communicating with each other. Some of those russian troops have to be in similar situations.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Russian already has troops in Transniestra, which is a break-way part of Moldova.  They pulled the same stunt there back in late 90s I believe.  "Ethnic Russians need our help!"
View All Quotes

2 Russians go somewhere on vacation, and all the sudden it's Sacred Russian Land. As bad as the Muslims.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

that reply is retarded

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

What I can't clean my shoes and kill Russian roaches while contemplating the 4th of July?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
<atfcomelookatthis.jpg.

Give em hell brother!!

What I can't clean my shoes and kill Russian roaches while contemplating the 4th of July?

At this point, you can do whatever the hell you want, hombre'..
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Puts Moldova in an awkward spot, they could end up at war with…someone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:

110 ruble is a fiction, you can't buy it under 150

View Quote

Da
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Fantomas:

that reply is retarded

View Quote

I can guarantee you she's a liberal who considers herself soooo much smarter than everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bufschnelling:

Hard to get troops to attack there own for stupid reasons... There not LEOs Canadian Mounties.

IMHO
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#33]
From what I understand is that the Russians view the Ukrainians as brothers/cousins, and thought they were liberating them, so they are not inclined to hit the gas.
View Quote

That must be why they killed millions upon millions of them in the last century.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Sucks I guess, but not ready to get toasted by a strategic nuke for Ukraine and Moldova.   If it comes to defending NATO, nice knowing y'all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Jesus people are stupid. He has been dead for almost 150 years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#36]
True, but it appears at least from the description that it was being used for recon. They are insanely loud, inefficient fuel hogs, difficult to throttle, hard to start. And for that matter, given the choice between pulse jet and solid fuel, solid fuel would be way cheaper for a target drone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Why put an expensive jet in something you are going (to attempt) to destroy for practice?

It's not a drone that picks targets, it's a drone that IS the target.
True, but it appears at least from the description that it was being used for recon. They are insanely loud, inefficient fuel hogs, difficult to throttle, hard to start. And for that matter, given the choice between pulse jet and solid fuel, solid fuel would be way cheaper for a target drone.

Good friend of mine has built a bunch of pulsejets. I could see the ruskies using them to bait the Ukrainian air defense as they are, like you say, insanely loud. But they are really, really cheap to build.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:

So you are saying it’s true that he hasn’t made any effort to distance himself from Putin?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

Tanslation via Twitter:

And again on the screens "the second army of the world": naked, barefoot, hungry, ragged.

Well, you are fucking going to fight, well, at least you can sew a uniform there without stealing? Army, damn it. Laughter panorama.

View Quote

Those guys haven't eaten in a while. Look in the background. The russians are a joke.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
Kinda hard to put the pin back in when you have one in each hand.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madmathew:
Originally Posted By sergtjim:

For those not familiar with hand grenades here's a picture of an m-67 showing the pin and spoon.
Pull the pin, spoon flys off
5 seconds later BOOM.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/264818/Grenade_M-67_jpg-2298597.JPG
Kinda hard to put the pin back in when you have one in each hand.

Just hold one in your armpit while you put the pin in the other one. ;)
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:

110 ruble is a fiction, you can't buy it under 150

View Quote

Where do you find that info. I can't find anything except the russian propaganda.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

So you are saying it’s true that he hasn’t made any effort to distance himself from Putin?
View Quote

I laughed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By martin248:

Ok, that sounds plausible. If so, the reality is that with the backing of a real superpower (TBD Russia is still one) all you wrote would be true in ANY war for ANY invader.

If next month the US invaded Eastern WTFistan, and China was feeding their defenders the best man portable anti air and anti tank missiles, we'd be in the same boat. We'd be unwilling to commit F35's except for very targeted missions, and it would leave our infantry and armor exposed to drone strikes, just like theirs. Our supply lines would be equally harassed and to win we would need to commit to a meat grinder where our infantry eventually attrits theirs.

So it seems that, whether all nations have caught up technologically or not, the nature of warfare has changed, and changed in a way that is teaching the Russians a very hard lesson.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:

I think the question I have is, is this a failure of the Russian army, some gross incompetence? Or is this a technology change in the nature of warfare?

If the Russian equipment just doesn't work, or the pilots are just incompetent, they should have known that when they did all those training exercises in the weeks leading up to the invasion. It's severe incompetence on many levels if they didn't know they weren't ready, or invaded even though they knew they weren't ready.

Or it could be a change in the nature of war, in which case this war has two lessons:

#1 Tanks are no longer relevant, and
#2 Fighters are no longer relevant

Because both can be destroyed be cheap man portable devices carried by infantry or by drones.
It comes down to airpower being more than who has the best fighter or helicopter. Dogfights are impressive, but don't accomplish much. The Russians have plenty of air assets, but can't fully utilize them because the Ukainians have western technology on their side. The Ukrainians are able to put manpads where they need to be, when they are needed often enough to be effective. They are getting strong enough reports on the ground to root out fuel and rocket trucks, and fast moving tanks, once again often enough to be effective.

Could they mount a huge aerial blitz? Sure, but they would have to expect heavy losses to critical aircraft, even if the Ukrainians are only slightly effective. Same with the tanks, the Javelin and Blame missiles are effective, portable and plentiful.

The Ukrainians drones are likely deployed more like US Army smaller drones, not Air Force drones. That is decentralized and very mobile. A few hundred feet of solid tarmac or corrugated steel is all the runway they need. Any back country road will do, they can be maintained in a large barn or garage. That makes them troublesome.

Ok, that sounds plausible. If so, the reality is that with the backing of a real superpower (TBD Russia is still one) all you wrote would be true in ANY war for ANY invader.

If next month the US invaded Eastern WTFistan, and China was feeding their defenders the best man portable anti air and anti tank missiles, we'd be in the same boat. We'd be unwilling to commit F35's except for very targeted missions, and it would leave our infantry and armor exposed to drone strikes, just like theirs. Our supply lines would be equally harassed and to win we would need to commit to a meat grinder where our infantry eventually attrits theirs.

So it seems that, whether all nations have caught up technologically or not, the nature of warfare has changed, and changed in a way that is teaching the Russians a very hard lesson.

Excellent set of posts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OldCynic] [#45]
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

View Quote

For all of our sakes he'll be meeting Putin soon.

eta: But maybe just in passing...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By prill64:

The Ukrainian Jet that flew into Romania was returned unarmed because Romania didn't want to be seen as sending armed jets into Ukraine.

Whether it should be a concern or not, the NATO countries are taking the stance that an armed fighter entering Ukraine from a NATO country would be provacative.

They are sending munitions in, but those are going in through separate channels.  The Ukrainian fighter that they sent back is having it's missiles sent back separately.

Logic doesn't come into play in politics.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prill64:
Originally Posted By planemaker:

If they are Ukrainian aircraft, it wouldn't matter if they were flying in from Poland or some non-NATO country, it's their aircraft at that point. Besides, we're already giving Ukraine shitloads of weaponry and equipment.

The Ukrainian Jet that flew into Romania was returned unarmed because Romania didn't want to be seen as sending armed jets into Ukraine.

Whether it should be a concern or not, the NATO countries are taking the stance that an armed fighter entering Ukraine from a NATO country would be provacative.

They are sending munitions in, but those are going in through separate channels.  The Ukrainian fighter that they sent back is having it's missiles sent back separately.

Logic doesn't come into play in politics.

And yet Belarus troops are in Ukraine as well as Russians using Belarus as an assembly area. Politics is silly.  Ukraine needs to build an airbase right on the Polish border with roads leading into poland for supplies and military equipment.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By kncook:

I know the M72 LAW is insufficient on MBTs but 2.7k of them from one country would really beat up the BMPs, trucks, and Tigr-M stuff.

Would a M72 LAW defeat an MRAP type vehicle?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kncook:
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By Tech-Com:

Great updates.

I know the M72 LAW is insufficient on MBTs but 2.7k of them from one country would really beat up the BMPs, trucks, and Tigr-M stuff.

Would a M72 LAW defeat an MRAP type vehicle?

It appears not to matter much, it just needs to defeat the fuel and food trucks, the rest takes care of itself.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Hmm, FORTE10 watching Kaliningrad? Or covering Kaliningrad and Belarus?

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]
It seems pretty clear that Russia is sending in it's 2nd and 3rd echelon troops as cannon fodder. The troops and vehicles they sent in in 2014 were better equipped and newer than what's been sent in so far
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

This isn't even a big enough deal for chucklehead to OK drilling again in the US or open up pipelines from Canada.
Which would be the single most significant thing we can do to impact Russia economically.

Logic for committing U.S. lives to this, without first being willing enough to "go there," is shaky at best.

The holy god of "Environmental Impact" isn't worth blood.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 686 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top