Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 717 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hondaciv:
I'm not sure if anyone is noticing, but Turkey is doing the right stuff in regards to this war.

View Quote

might just change my mind about never buying a weapon made in Turkey.  some great bargains around.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By happycynic:
Yes.  You can determine the relative effect using the universal measurement for damage to a city - the Detroit Mayoral Term ("DMT").  Each nuclear weapon is equivalent to four years under a Detroit mayor, or 1 DMT.  So 75 nukes would be equivalent to 300 years under a Detroit mayor (75 DMT), an unimaginable catastrophe.  

By comparison, here are some historical examples of citywide devastation.

1. Mongol Destruction of Baghdad.  25 DMT
2. Sack of Rome.  20 DMT
3. 4th Crusade Sack of Constantinople.  15 DMT
4. Fall of Troy.  10 DMT
5. Great Fire of London.  5 DMT
6. Hiroshima.  1 DMT
View Quote

This is why I keep coming back to arfcom
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if China's invasion of Taiwan will be as ham fisted as this. My suspicion is that Xi is smarter than Putin, and has people watching this invasion along with reruns of America's invasion of Iraq and determining what to do and what not to do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Capta:

It doesn’t matter what the Russian people think.  They aren’t getting to Putin even if they wanted to, but neither can they save Putin.  It only matters what the Russian elites (or Putin’s inner circle - someone with access) thinks.  Someone out there in power must have had their son turned to ash on a fool’s errand.

Let’s go over Putin’s accomplishments this week:
1)Utter and complete miscalculation of the situation in Ukraine
2)Heavy loss of Russian lives and prestige
3)Major and every day increasing damage to the Russian economy, particularly including the most powerful oligarchs.
4)Loss of the threat value of the Russian nuclear arsenal.  Europe MUST call his nuclear bluff.
5)No endgame in sight in Ukraine with advanced weapons flowing in from all over the world every day.  The bloodshed for Russia will become significantly greater the longer this continues.
6)Guaranteed weaker position in Europe even if “winning” in Ukraine.  He unified the EU, and the EU (particularly Germany and Poland) will HAVE to develop nuclear weapons and delivery systems ASAP, making Putin’s fantasy of conquering Europe moot anyway.  He’s also forced the EU to reconsider their energy dependence on Russia - ergo the Russian economy is even more fucked in the long term.  He has checkmated his own plan.
7)I certainly won’t claim to be in the know, but Putin’s actions and rhetoric must have the west seriously considering a first strike to decapitate Russia and limit damage to themselves.  IMO this is a very real possibility.

Russia’s situation is FUCKING DIRE and getting worse, and the people in the know over there must understand that.  Putin may well be unhinged, but I don’t think the entire Russian power structure is stupid, evil, or crazy.  What is the likelihood that the powerful in Russia just let the lunatic that fucked up this badly - destroy everything, themselves included?  I think he gets a bullet, but sadly it will take more death before that happens.
View Quote

I'm not sure how the nuclear command structure works in Russia (anyone have an idea?).  I'd like to think that someone could revoke or change his nuclear codes without being near Putin since he's rumored to be hiding in bunkers.  If someone can take away his nuclear launch authority, they can stage a coup in Moscow, announce a new government, and say Putin will be arrested when he surfaces.  That would take some doing of course, but I wonder if its even possible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:48:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Consigli:

Since you are from WV, couldn't resist........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FGaan35s0
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
Originally Posted By FatSteve:
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

The thing that changed my idea of nuclear war forever is when I read that cities are not just targeted by one or two weapons, but DOZENS. The largest cities would get up to 75 or more warheads targeted at them. It is inconceivable what it would be like in the aftermath of such a strike.

Would 75 nukes really be worse for a city compared to 7 or 8?

Multiple vectors of attack.  Buildings would get hit with heat, pressure and gamma rays from all sides, sometimes repeatedly, over the course of hours.

I need to play that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By aimforthemedic:

Honestly, this is one of the craziest things ever. How close are we to a literal global condemnation of this shit?
View Quote

India and china as well as a lot of anti nwo wef american right and some of the actual commie left are pretty much on putins side
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Just one battery of ASMs and there'd be a shit load of Russkies doing the dog paddle.  Sigh.  A man can dream right?

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

A reporter on the ground for Fox tonight stated that an amphibious assault for Odessa was coming. Haven't seen proof or heard it elsewhere so not sure of the source.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:52:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I wonder if China's invasion of Taiwan will be as ham fisted as this. My suspicion is that Xi is smarter than Putin, and has people watching this invasion along with reruns of America's invasion of Iraq and determining what to do and what not to do.
View Quote

It probably depends on how much damage the Chinese are willing to cause to Taiwan.  If they want to flatten it with little regard for collateral damage, that probably makes invasion easier.  That also means you lessen the gains you'll get since it would take years of rebuilding of your dollar to see any return.  Its no major victory to invade a desolated country.  Plus you'd make no friends internationally for many reasons which is a further drawback.  

Thankfully, Taiwan is more defensible and they've increasingly taking their defense more seriously.  Xi Jinping seems more rational than Putin and probably realizes that it wouldn't end in a victory, at least not now or anything soon.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:52:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly] [#12]
Originally Posted By elcope:

Which means the Russians are planning for a long war. Longer than the west thinks is possible.
View Quote

Lol that’s such a massive stretch. Random report of Russia moving heavy artillery in a Siberian city. Yawn. Literally means next to nothing at this point.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Evintos:
https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Use advance settings to set parameters such as wind speed, fallout, etc.
View Quote

The fallout setting is only useful if you take into account prevailing winds for time of year.

https://windhistory.com/map.html
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

really hoping pooh gamed this out a few ways and vlad was the sucker used as diversion - or denies anything and lets vlad hang himself and destroy russias position.  

you think after this is over people are going to list the three superpowers as "US, Russia, China" any more?

IF Russia is listed, it will probably be "US, China, Russia"

you heard it here first.  if the chicom penetrated libtard media start saying it that way, that's your sign.  this whole thing was pooh saying to vlad  "hey I have the entire us c4 penetrated, we've got bugs in every office in dc, here's what they will do, trust me, go fo Ukraine" wait to see if the time was right to jump Taiwan.  oops, no go.  vlad is a lone wolf!  bad vlad!  pooh friend!
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:

Yeesh... I hate to do this, but do you have a link? I need to see it myself to understand where you're coming from.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JustJim:
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Since there's no breaking war news, ill post this.  It's old (12 hours ago).  THIS is the face the Ukrainians want the world to see.  The kind, compassionate people.

Poor guy is chugging that tea like he hasn't ate in 2 weeks.  War sucks.

Yet GD think the ukranians should execute him instead of doing this....inviting more to surrender..giving them good reason to stop fighting...and getting the world on their side.

Oh well, simple minds, simple solutions.

Allow me to think out loud…..on the surface, this is a “heartbreaking/heartwarming video. Now further…like my kids, is this Russian soldier sorry or sorry he got caught?  I regrettably watched the video of the father, son dogs get shredded.  And the follow up of the surviving son deaded and thrown in a ditch with the surviving GSD standing over their dead bodies.

Kill ‘em all proper or kill ‘em with compassion.  

Yeesh... I hate to do this, but do you have a link? I need to see it myself to understand where you're coming from.

The dad, son & dogs vid?  I wouldn’t have watched it the first time if I could take it back.  I had the sound turned up.  

Fuck be upon them and their leaders.  Rat-Bastards.

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:53:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#16]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

India and china as well as a lot of anti nwo wef american right and some of the actual commie left are pretty much on putins side
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aimforthemedic:

Honestly, this is one of the craziest things ever. How close are we to a literal global condemnation of this shit?

India needs all its H1B people sent home as a little warm up towards making better decisions.  I can live without call centers, Mahindras and Curry for a little while. They can take that MIM shit home with them too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FrankyRay:

I've been under the impression that nobody really knows exactly how effective EMP bursts would be. It's not something that has actually been demonstrated.
View Quote

We kind of inadvertantly found out about it with starfish prime disrupting hawaii
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PalmettoSharpshooter:
Since there's so many of these maps, I assume it's all speculation.

Here's another

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90884/9964A2BE-C25F-4F01-99E7-20439AD2520E_jpe-2299512.JPG
View Quote

It's incredibly annoying when I look at that map and see they dedicated a nuke to my tiny little island.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:57:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
Could be moving stuff to Moscow in case of a coup.

View Quote

Pretty far from Moscow too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Unpleasant picture of pile of dead russian soldiers. Many of you were complaining about the lack of dead bodies, well here they are.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Agreed, where was The Art of War written? So many seem to think the Chinese aren't aware of this book.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#23]

I've been under the impression that nobody really knows exactly how effective EMP bursts would be. It's not something that has actually been demonstrated.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DouglasQuaid:
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Originally Posted By kncook:

A) Not all of Russias 2100 warheads are serviceable or work or are even on launch vehicles/platforms.

B) They can’t launch them all against the US. They have to take out NATO and Europe targets as well.

Plenty of people will survive.

and targeting people is a waste.

there's a lot fewer targets with substantial food and grain stores.

Nuking major grain elevators, the major livestock processing plants, feedlots and fuel and tire supplies, and Mississippi barge network would kill a significant amount of the world's population with starvation at the right time of year...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/4C81E896-0BFC-4753-B1EE-F3E557A4540B_png-2299488.JPG

Even smarter would have half a dozen detonate at high altitude and have EMP destroy everything.  Without electronics, any modern country will suffer greatly.  Only benefit would be little immediate death and less fallout.

Let alone what EMPs actually effect.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Which means the Russians are planning for a long war. Longer than the west thinks is possible.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Do you know where Tyumen is? It’s almost 3000 kilometers away from Kiev lol.

No the west does not think that, The US has said that this could be a 10-20 year war.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:02:21 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
Could be moving stuff to Moscow in case of a coup.

So Putin is building barricades and forcing russian propaganda on kids? Like Biden barricading DC and forcing critical race theory and 1619 project indoctrination on kids? Hmmmm.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes.  You can determine the relative effect using the universal measurement for damage to a city - the Detroit Mayoral Term ("DMT").  Each nuclear weapon is equivalent to four years under a Detroit mayor, or 1 DMT.  So 75 nukes would be equivalent to 300 years under a Detroit mayor (75 DMT), an unimaginable catastrophe.  

2. Sack of Rome.  20 DMT
4. Fall of Troy.  10 DMT
6. Hiroshima.  1 DMT
View All Quotes

2. Sack of Rome.  20 DMT
4. Fall of Troy.  10 DMT
6. Hiroshima.  1 DMT

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Those dead guys boots sure look nice. Be a shame if they get buried with the garbage that transported them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Yeah, the I want to survive the nukes have not thought it through. Them's that die be the lucky ones.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Want to know the secret of subsistence farming? Throughout history a large percentage of subsistence farmers died of starvation.

Yeah, the I want to survive the nukes have not thought it through. Them's that die be the lucky ones.

I wouldn't want to be living in a city.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:04:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#29]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

I was believing you until you said nuclear winter.

No such thing. Green peace propaganda.

The rest of you argument is now suspect.
View Quote

Not so sure about that, look how much one volcano can change the seasons.
Now figure massive firestorms all over the USA that make last years California fires look like a back yard BBQ, cities burning for months or even years (no ones putting those out), and multiply it on a global scale from every country trying to get payback.
It’s a real possibility.

ETA..
This is just a start, not even the whole west coast on fire, multiply it by the whole country burning…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:06:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By NotAMerc:

It's incredibly annoying when I look at that map and see they dedicated a nuke to my tiny little island.
View All Quotes

Here's another

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90884/9964A2BE-C25F-4F01-99E7-20439AD2520E_jpe-2299512.JPG

which Island?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bunn19:

I read an article today that said US forces in Europe were mobilizing their assets from strategic storage or (whatever it's called) for the first time since that program has been in operation.  I guess they seem to think something could kick off before they can mobilize them from the US.
View Quote

and here we go again, making up for NATO members funding shortfall (e.g. Germany).
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#34]

2. Sack of Rome.  20 DMT
4. Fall of Troy.  10 DMT
6. Hiroshima.  1 DMT
View All Quotes

2. Sack of Rome.  20 DMT
4. Fall of Troy.  10 DMT
6. Hiroshima.  1 DMT

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:11:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
Unpleasant picture of pile of dead russian soldiers. Many of you were complaining about the lack of dead bodies, well here they are.

View Quote

What is unpleasant about seeing a small pile of dead Russian soldiers?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Poland and Estonia should be right behind Ukraine fish.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

That hole looks like they were expecting to put a lot more in there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:13:29 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Using Iraq to make a strategy for Taiwan would be a poor start to that conflict.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#39]
kinda cool if its not fake news

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JustJim:
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Since there's no breaking war news, ill post this.  It's old (12 hours ago).  THIS is the face the Ukrainians want the world to see.  The kind, compassionate people.

Poor guy is chugging that tea like he hasn't ate in 2 weeks.  War sucks.

Yet GD think the ukranians should execute him instead of doing this....inviting more to surrender..giving them good reason to stop fighting...and getting the world on their side.

Oh well, simple minds, simple solutions.

Allow me to think out loud…..on the surface, this is a “heartbreaking/heartwarming video. Now further…like my kids, is this Russian soldier sorry or sorry he got caught?  I regrettably watched the video of the father, son dogs get shredded.  And the follow up of the surviving son deaded and thrown in a ditch with the surviving GSD standing over their dead bodies.

Kill ‘em all proper or kill ‘em with compassion.  

This is the initial video:

The video was shot by the son who was hit and dying. Near the end of the video you can see his phone lays down as he's expiring himself.

Then this followup video of the aftermath was shot:

As you can see, it's a clearly civilian vehicle that got pretty heavily worked over with a heavy machine gun.

And then there's the video of the elderly couple...

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#41]

I need to play that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

The thing that changed my idea of nuclear war forever is when I read that cities are not just targeted by one or two weapons, but DOZENS. The largest cities would get up to 75 or more warheads targeted at them. It is inconceivable what it would be like in the aftermath of such a strike.

Multiple vectors of attack.  Buildings would get hit with heat, pressure and gamma rays from all sides, sometimes repeatedly, over the course of hours.

I need to play that.

It would go against the armchair nuclear war experts of GD knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mokerr:

A reporter on the ground for Fox tonight stated that an amphibious assault for Odessa was coming. Haven't seen proof or heard it elsewhere so not sure of the source.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mokerr:

OAB loves him some seamen...
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

No the west does not think that, The US has said that this could be a 10-20 year war.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Do you know where Tyumen is? It’s almost 3000 kilometers away from Kiev lol.

Russia will be a failed nation-state in 10-20 years. More likely, they'll be Venezuela with nukes in 10-20 *weeks* if not *days*.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:19:02 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Here's another

Notice how Chicago is not marked? It is actively destroying itself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

Not so sure about that, look how much one volcano can change the seasons.
Now figure massive firestorms all over the USA that make last years California fires look like a back yard BBQ, cities burning for months or even years (no ones putting those out), and multiply it on a global scale from every country trying to get payback.
It’s a real possibility.

ETA..
This is just a start, not even the whole west coast on fire, multiply it by the whole country burning…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19372/87E3494F-AB2D-42D7-878F-A6BDF1F65ABF_jpe-2299543.JPG
View Quote

We could definitely have a year or 2 with no summer and not seeing the sun as more than a red glow through the clouds. It might wipe out billions.

Life would continue and thrive. It has endured through worse than we are capable of.

We've also drastically reduced the number of active warheads. At one point the world was coming up on 100,000 warheads. Its more like 12,000 now. Much further away from an extinction level event.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:20:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:22:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Must be a Canadian cartoonist judging by the size of their fish.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#49]

We could definitely have a year or 2 with no summer and not seeing the sun as more than a red glow through the clouds. It might wipe out billions.

Life would continue and thrive. It has endured through worse than we are capable of.

We've also drastically reduced the number of active warheads. At one point the world was coming up on 100,000 warheads. Its more like 12,000 now. Much further away from an extinction level event.
View Quote

Well, that makes me feel better, only 12,000!
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Jackal-FnM:

Notice how Chicago is not marked? It is actively destroying itself.
View Quote

no doubt!

Realistically I'm sure the target deck is a lot different from that image, but we probably wont know where until stuff starts blowing up. One thing I'm curious about is given the state of the Russian military, how combat effective is their nuclear forces? I'm sure they get more money thrown at those forces, but how much of it actually goes to maintaining and improving vs just lining pockets?
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 717 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top