Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 151
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope the weather is better.
The last 2 launches have not been very spectacular from a viewing standpoint, but that's being selfish on my end.

This Cristobal system has wreaked havoc on the weather and it's been pissing rain for a week and supposed to continue for another week.

Plus I want to go fishing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
I hope the weather is better.
The last 2 launches have not been very spectacular from a viewing standpoint, but that's being selfish on my end.

This Cristobal system has wreaked havoc on the weather and it's been pissing rain for a week and supposed to continue for another week.

Plus I want to go fishing.
View Quote

You will have lots of opportunities... SpaceX's manifest is getting very full:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43418.0

Would not be surprised for 40-50 launches next year. Also ~8 or so ULA launches per year this year and next likely too
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

You will have lots of opportunities... SpaceX's manifest is getting very full:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43418.0

Would not be surprised for 40-50 launches next year. Also ~8 or so ULA launches per year this year and next likely too
View Quote

I hope they don't start getting relaxed in QC trying to meet that schedule
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
*knock**knock*

is this the correct SpaceX thread?

the fairings were not caught but they were retrieved.

a good one and a broken one

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
*knock**knock*

the fairings were not caught but they were retrieved.

a good one and a broken one

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZwBCVgXYAEPiVr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZwBEEgWkAEUaQA?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote
I wonder what SpaceX's "United Rental" bill is per year
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
*knock**knock*

View Quote

Yes and your pictures are an important part.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
I wonder what SpaceX's "United Rental" bill is per year
View Quote

They probably just bought them but have been too busy either launching people, satellites, or cars into orbit, or blowing up shit to bother with taking the stickers off.

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Another Starlink launch planned for 6/24 after the one on 6/12. GPS launch on 6/30 too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
she's a dirty girl after her 5th flight

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the octograbber get bolted/welded to the deck? Or is it heavy enough to hold the rocket in place? I imagine they still must have to attach it down?
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Does the octograbber get bolted/welded to the deck? Or is it heavy enough to hold the rocket in place? I imagine they still must have to attach it down?
View Quote

The combination of the robot’s weight, low center of gravity, increased traction provided by the treads and large contact area (compared to the small contact area between the deck and Falcon’s landing legs) results in a sufficiently secure fit

https://www.elonx.net/octagrabber/
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#12]

Beautiful. They're starting to remind me of the dirty cars that win races like Le Mans and Daytona. You imagine a clean shiny race car then you go to a museum and see they left the winning car just as dirty as it finished and understand that dirt was earned.

That's what this Falcon 9 reminds me of.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]

That booster should go to Huntsville space center and the capsule to the Smithsonian.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
flipped in about 24hrs

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dapzel:

That booster should go to Huntsville space center and the capsule to the Smithsonian.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dapzel:

That booster is from the starlink launch, not crew dragon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I didn't watch that on repeat for 3 minutes or anything
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep.
That was BEAUTIFUL!
Thanks For Posting.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
I didn't watch that on repeat for 3 minutes or anything
View Quote

It took several viewings to understand everything that I was seeing.  The payload looks a long way down but that may because of the fish eye effect.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#22]
now on youtube

Starlink Fairing Deploy Sequence
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#23]
now on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKWio4zHShM
View Quote

Give us the entire video to water impact.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#24]
now on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKWio4zHShM
View Quote

Watch at 25% speed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Rocket Lab is launching an Electron today. Thread here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#26]
1) Background info:  

"A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is expected to launch the ninth batch of 58 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 8.   Three SkySat Earth-imaging satellites for Planet will launch as rideshare payloads on this mission. "

2) Launch window: 5:21 AM EDT

3) Launch Site: SLC-40, KSC, Florida

4) Webcast/TV viewing options:

a. SpaceX webcast (Starts about 10 minutes before liftoff)

b. YouTube:  

5) Launch preparations:

a.  Multiple Starlink satellites and the three ride share satellites on top are posted by several below.

b. Ready to go

6) First stage return/disposal: Drone ship recovery by OCISLY  (Just Read the Instructions is en-route to the landing zone for the Starlink mission.  

7) Payload fairing recovery: Ms. Tree and Ms Chief will attempt to recover both halves.

8) Mission press kit: Replaced with online format

9) Launch to deployment events/timeline:

Minutes:Seconds after lift-off

2:32 First stage MECO (main engine cutoff)
2:43 Second stage starts
3:11 Fairing jettison
7:03 1st stage entry burn ends
8:42 1st stage landing
8:53 Second stage engine cutoff
12:34  Skysat 18 deployment
13:04  Skysat 17 deployment
13:34  Skysat 16 deployment
26:00  Starlink deployment
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#29]
How many more of the Starlink launches are pending?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
View Quote

Couple hundred

Final constellation is around 12,000 satellites.  F9 is launching 60 at a time, Starship is supposed to do 300-400 at a time. Life span of around 5 years on the satellites, so a full constellation replacement every 5 years.  There's going to be a lot of launches to build and maintain Starlink .
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Next Starlink launch sporting a few stowaways
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman] [#32]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
View Quote

Expect about 2 per month from here on, until Starship takes over.

Rough upcoming schedule (red are ULA launches):

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Couple hundred

Final constellation is around 12,000 satellites.  F9 is launching 60 at a time, Starship is supposed to do 300-400 at a time. Life span of around 5 years on the satellites, so a full constellation replacement every 5 years.  There's going to be a lot of launches to build and maintain Starlink .
View Quote

I have a feeling that once Starship is flying, the satellites will get larger and more capable as well.

Currently, they are ~260kg with 20gbps of capacity, would not be surprised for that to be 1000kg+ and 100gbps+.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 3:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Orion_Shall_Rise] [#34]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

I have a feeling that once Starship is flying, the satellites will get larger and more capable as well.

Currently, they are ~260kg with 20gbps of capacity, would not be surprised for that to be 1000kg+ and 100gbps+.
View Quote

Maybe but they want alot for low latency and coverage. The do not nessecarily need more capacity at any one point.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

Maybe but they want alot for low latency and coverage. The do not nessecarily need more capacity at any one point.
View Quote

They do if they want to go after providing Internet to a lot of people in urban areas.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#36]

They do if they want to go after providing Internet to a lot of people in urban areas.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

Starlink’s mission statement has nothing to do with competing with terrestrial fiber where it is available. It’s explicitly designed to provide backhaul where no copper/fiber is available. Trying to compete on cost or capability against fiber with satellite would be economic suicide.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AJE:
Rural, and places like China and North Korea
View Quote

I wonder if Musk will capitulate to the Chinese over internet censorship of their citizens like Google.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#40]
They've gotten this mess down to an art form and really make it look easy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

Starlink's mission statement has nothing to do with competing with terrestrial fiber where it is available. It's explicitly designed to provide backhaul where no copper/fiber is available. Trying to compete on cost or capability against fiber with satellite would be economic suicide.
View Quote

Agreed.

I still expect to see the satellite mass and capability grow once they are launching on Starship.  Starlink sat design will have to be somewhat driven by launching on F9.  Once they have a more capable launcher they have the ability to design the sats around that.  May make economic sense for fewer more capable satellites in order to reduce ongoing replacement costs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Agreed.

I still expect to see the satellite mass and capability grow once they are launching on Starship.  Starlink sat design will have to be somewhat driven by launching on F9.  Once they have a more capable launcher they have the ability to design the sats around that.  May make economic sense for fewer more capable satellites in order to reduce ongoing replacement costs.
View All Quotes

Starlink's mission statement has nothing to do with competing with terrestrial fiber where it is available. It's explicitly designed to provide backhaul where no copper/fiber is available. Trying to compete on cost or capability against fiber with satellite would be economic suicide.

Agreed.

If it provides a few hundred mbps and under 150/month, I'll get it just to starve Comcrap.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By somaliskinnypirate:
If it provides a few hundred mbps and under 150/month, I'll get it just to starve Comcrap.
View Quote

Im in the same boat but current satellite or a WISP is my only option.  Limited to around 10 Mbps now.  I'll happily pay $100-150/mo and a few thousand in install costs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckMKII] [#44]
Attachment Attached File

Photo of this mornings SpaceX launch I took at 5:26 as it traveled across SE Ga.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:13:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#45]
Originally Posted By BuckMKII:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252363/IMG_20200613_052638_jpg-1459684.JPG

Photo of this mornings SpaceX launch I took at 5:26 as it traveled across SE Ga.
View Quote

Thanks Buck,  looks like it did enter sunlight during the first stage ascent after all.  I noticed sunlight on the first stage grid fins after MECO on the webcast.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#46]
video in link

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Agreed.

View All Quotes

Agreed.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/satellite-internet-update-starlink-is-exciting-but-reality-check-needed-for-rvers-and-cruisers/

This is an awesome article that lays out what starlink is and is not. Cross posted from @IWC71 in the rural internet thread.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#48]

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/satellite-internet-update-starlink-is-exciting-but-reality-check-needed-for-rvers-and-cruisers/

This is an awesome article that lays out what starlink is and is not. Cross posted from @IWC71 in the rural internet thread.
View Quote

Thanks!  Great article.

They now have a sign up for possible testing opportunities in the future based on zip code.

https://www.starlink.com/
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#49]
Check this video

Time lapse: Falcon 9 launches SpaceX’s ninth Starlink mission

John Kraus video.

SpaceX's predawn launch of its Falcon 9 rocket carrying the Starlink and Planet SkySat satellites created a dazzling spectacle in the predawn sky after lifting off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on June 13, 2020. (Image credit: Amy Thompson)
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By BuckMKII:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252363/IMG_20200613_052638_jpg-1459684.JPG

View Quote

That's a gorgeous shot. Very noice.
Page / 151
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top