Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 82
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Just preorderd. Said it should be in my area in mid-late 2021.

Guess I gotta go with fixed wireless for the time being (my new place is north Texas).
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
Just preorderd. Said it should be in my area in mid-late 2021.
View Quote

Same, we should have it by the time we get our RV moved onto our Colorado property.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Placed the order.  Will be a real shame to loose my 2.5mb dsl.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Pre-order placed.  Can't wait to drop Hughesnet.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

I'm really hoping that starlink doesn't look at the fcc's fantasy broadband maps deciding who to give service to. According to that map I can get 300meg cable but in reality I can't getting anything faster than dialup.
View Quote

The satellite constellation will have near universal coverage once up, so no real reason to deny service to US areas. As long as a particular area isn't oversubscribed it should work anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
i fucking hate Spectrum so much, the bitches want $140 for 980MB down and a mandatory $200 install fee
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GlocksareGood:
Placed the order.  Will be a real shame to loose my 2.5mb dsl.
View Quote

Try my speedy 1.5mb...  you're living the dream man!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
i fucking hate Spectrum so much, the bitches want $140 for 980MB down and a mandatory $200 install fee
View Quote
I would GLADLY pay that for 980MB. In fact, I would probably kill for that. I am hop on one foot happy with the 100-160MB I see on Starlink.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Got my shipping notice!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Placed my order 2 days ago. Going to be nice to beat my maybe 20mpbs capped ATT garbage.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

You people with options really aren't the market for this.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL - on an open ended pre-order for a service from Elon Musk.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
LOL - on an open ended pre-order for a service from Elon Musk.
View Quote

It’s fully refundable. I’d bet on starlink service long before cyber truck is a reality.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Are you just trying to rub it in?  I pay that much for a tiny fraction of the bandwidth.  I'd give my left pinky toe for that kind of connection.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately, I'm getting ready to pack it up and send it back.  I was very hopeful to finally get some decent internet out in my rural area in Northwestern Oregon.  Got the beta test offer and received the hardware a couple weeks ago.

My speeds have been pretty slow in comparison to what others are reporting, typically 27-34 Mbps down.  But that's much better than the 5 or 6 Mbps I'm getting on my Verizon MiFi connection and good enough for my needs.  The bad news is my house is surrounded by 80-90ft Douglas fir trees that obstruct much of the sky.  The Starlink connection now works about 60%-70% of the time with 30% to 40% downtime as the satellites pass overhead.  Makes it very frustrating to do much online with the connection switching on and off constantly.

It looks like my best option now is to move to a T-mobile wifi hotspot device.  Similar to what I have with Verizon but 1/3 less cost and 6 times the data.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ordnance:
Unfortunately, I'm getting ready to pack it up and send it back.  I was very hopeful to finally get some decent internet out in my rural area in Northwestern Oregon.  Got the beta test offer and received the hardware a couple weeks ago.

My speeds have been pretty slow in comparison to what others are reporting, typically 27-34 Mbps down.  But that's much better than the 5 or 6 Mbps I'm getting on my Verizon MiFi connection and good enough for my needs.  The bad news is my house is surrounded by 80-90ft Douglas fir trees that obstruct much of the sky.  The Starlink connection now works about 60%-70% of the time with 30% to 40% downtime as the satellites pass overhead.  Makes it very frustrating to do much online with the connection switching on and off constantly.

It looks like my best option now is to move to a T-mobile wifi hotspot device.  Similar to what I have with Verizon but 1/3 less cost and 6 times the data.
View Quote

Its not called the "Better than nothing" beta for no reason.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:

Its not called the "Better than nothing" beta for no reason.
View Quote
This. I have several people in my area who are "disappointed" in it and I always stress the point this is a beta. It's not going to be 100 percent and we shouldn't expect it to be until they reach a point it's no longer beta.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Obstructions seem to be causing the most problems.
I'd expect that being surrounded by 90' tall trees.
That sux for you though, high hopes and a let down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:47:34 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

can you hire a tree guy to mount it up in the tallest one?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#22]
If I can live in BFE and get the internet I am in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By hdhogman:
Obstructions seem to be causing the most problems.
I'd expect that being surrounded by 90' tall trees.
That sux for you though, high hopes and a let down.
View Quote

As you note, the trees may be the issue and not Starlink.

Perhaps when they get thousands more satellites up, he may be OK.  If he does not have an adequate view of the sky, maybe it never becomes suitable for him.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:

I hope the service address thing isn't GPS linked and will kill service if it moves.

There are a lot of boat, RV, off grid and traveler types that are probably chomping at the bit to have this as an option.

ETA: I wonder if in motion service is technically possible?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/brave_vkrO8jyNB5_jpg-1817448.JPG

I am paying the same monthly for cable internet with 100/5 and unlimited data.

I hope the service address thing isn't GPS linked and will kill service if it moves.

There are a lot of boat, RV, off grid and traveler types that are probably chomping at the bit to have this as an option.

ETA: I wonder if in motion service is technically possible?
Grain of salt but I think I remember Musk saying that it will initially be restricted to the area of the address but they want to open it up after they hit a certain point.
I know they were supposed to be testing it on aircraft but I have no idea how that went.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#25]
SpaceX setting the stage for Starlink’s widespread European debut

"Combined with regulatory filings, a series of new job listings suggest that SpaceX is in the late stages of preparations for a widespread Starlink internet rollout across Europe.

Last week, SpaceX began publishing multiple job listings for bilingual “customer support associates” fluent in French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Greek. Meshing well with recent regulatory-side indications of Starlink’s imminent rollout in France, Germany, and Greece, SpaceX also began accepting preorders – with a $99 deposit – in all the above countries (and more) earlier this week. Beta testing has already begun in the United Kingdom, further signaling that Starlink internet could be available across Europe far sooner than later."
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey Elon, lets get full coverage in the United States first.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
Hey Elon, lets get full coverage in the United States first.  
View Quote

The satellites are in orbit, every second they aren't servicing a customer because they're over the horizon is lost revenue.

A satellite always having customers in view is a good thing.  And the only way that happens is if customers exist the world-round.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

can you hire a tree guy to mount it up in the tallest one?
View Quote

Treetops move constantly when the wind blows, which is all the time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#29]
just got an invite for a WV address "mid to late 2021"

signed up, hopefully not a disappointment.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

You realize that a chainsaw and some strategic cutting is the solution to your problem, right?

There are also more satellites going up every month, so your issue might resolve itself over time anyway.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Ordered mine at day of opening for pre orders. Only internet we have is att hot spot. Crazy thing is there fiber 2 miles from the house. Which is nutz.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Says mid to late 2021 for my address.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Balista] [#33]
For this to be successful, you need two things. 1)The ability to read instructions 2) Not be a moron.

You need 100 degrees of unobstructed exposure to the sky. That means if you have it ground level with trees/building in the line of sight you will not have a good connection. It's not the equipment's fault, it's your fault.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#34]

That is exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By motoguy:
but for the $20/mo it'll cost I think I'll go ahead and hook it up and keep it as a backup.  With the StarLink taking most of the load, I shouldn't have to worry about putting a target on my back with the LTE usage/throughput.  I noticed the StarLink fine print that "may experience outages", so maybe I'll figure out how to get a rollover setup for the StarLink outages.  

That is exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes.  

@motoguy

TP-Link TL-R600VPN router is what I would recommend. They are usually around $60.  Easy to setup and pretty rock solid, maybe needing 1 reboot a year. Although the current record holder is at 435 days of uptime.

You can configure them in strict failover mode, or a failover/load balance mode. The strict failover mode is a bit iffy for us, but that has more to do with how the Mediacom modem deals with a loss of service.

The failover/load balance works well and it is a pretty seamless transition from splitting the traffic between Primary/Secondary WANs and to all traffic over the Secondary WAN, and then back to load balance when Primary is back online.

Bunch of other features as well, traffic priority, what traffic is sent over which WAN, etc. Typically, our client's backup ISP is ATT Uverse, so if the router has failed over to the ATT connection, that cuts the external DVR/NVR access as well the hospitality WiFi. You could likely configure it the same way to avoid any nasty overage charges on your LTE.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Balista:
For this to be successful, you need two things. 1)The ability to read instructions 2) Not be a moron.

You need 100 degrees of unobstructed exposure to the sky. That means if you have it ground level with trees/building in the line of sight you will not have a good connection. It's not the equipment's fault, it's your fault.
View Quote

Is that in every direction?  The 100 degrees?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By bologna:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bologna:
Originally Posted By Balista:

No.  Put the app on your phone, and it'll show you the direction you need clear at your location. For us, it's due North.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.starlink.mobile&hl=en_US&gl=US
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Is the dish connected to the modem via normal coaxial cable?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:39:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#38]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Is the dish connected to the modem via normal coaxial cable?
View Quote

I haven't seen it, but I've been told that it's a proprietary cable, and has some kind of special thing on it.

Edit - Nope, nope, nope. That was wrong. I don't know what it's called, but the cable that runs to the antenna is an ethernet cable, and it's the type that carries the power to the antenna. This pic shows the thing I mentioned.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:58:56 AM EDT
[#39]
This is right in my wheelhouse. Rural WA State, clear view of Northern sky, 20 minutes south of Canada. How do I get in on the test?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't wait for the IPO.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Mine just shipped. Im excited.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

The satellites are in orbit, every second they aren't servicing a customer because they're over the horizon is lost revenue.

A satellite always having customers in view is a good thing.  And the only way that happens is if customers exist the world-round.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

Inflection is difficult via a forum post, I put that smile in there for a reason (tongue in cheek).  I completely agree with why they are doing it.  

Numbers from a member of another forum in NH.  A few members there are seeing decent numbers.  
$ speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from SpaceX Starlink (143.131.6.0)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by AT&T (New York, NY) [0.06 km]: 38.917 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 82.90 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 14.59 Mbit/s
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sizzlin_bacon:
This is right in my wheelhouse. Rural WA State, clear view of Northern sky, 20 minutes south of Canada. How do I get in on the test?
View Quote

You should be able to go to the Starlink website and put in your address.  If available place the order.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Preordered last week. Does anybody have intel on how robust the dish and its motor are when it comes to wind? Here in my area the wind blows really strong fairly often. I’m worried that if I put the dish in a fully unobstructed spot it’s going to get a lot of force pushing on it regularly. Do they hold up?

My job requires at least decent high speed. T-Mobile just approved my area for their LTE/5G wireless, and I got it up and running today. VAST improvement compared to what I had, and much more affordable.

If you’re like me and short on options, look into the T-mobile setup if you have a decent cell signal from them at your place. If it goes well for a while I might even nix on Starlink, as the system just uses a gateway inside the house and not an external dish.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SoundFX:
Preordered last week. Does anybody have intel on how robust the dish and its motor are when it comes to wind? Here in my area the wind blows really strong fairly often. I’m worried that if I put the dish in a fully unobstructed spot it’s going to get a lot of force pushing on it regularly. Do they hold up?

My job requires at least decent high speed. T-Mobile just approved my area for their LTE/5G wireless, and I got it up and running today. VAST improvement compared to what I had, and much more affordable.

If you’re like me and short on options, look into the T-mobile setup if you have a decent cell signal from them at your place. If it goes well for a while I might even nix on Starlink, as the system just uses a gateway inside the house and not an external dish.
View Quote

Interesting.  Not available a week ago.  After seeing your post I checked T-Mobile availability.  What do ya know.  Now available here too.

If you would, let me know how that works for you.  Reliability, speed etc.  Almost anything would be better than the crappy DSL we have now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cb4017:

Interesting.  Not available a week ago.  After seeing your post I checked T-Mobile availability.  What do ya know.  Now available here too.

If you would, let me know how that works for you.  Reliability, speed etc.  Almost anything would be better than the crappy DSL we have now.
View Quote

Yup, same story here. Only just became available to us. They said it’s still a pilot program even.

Too early to say much about reliability, but the speed smokes what I had. They had the gateway delivered in less than two days, and I had it up and running within twenty minutes (easy setup).

The speed ebbs and flows a little. I’m guessing that priority gets shuffled to nearby drivers on calls or something. But if you take your time and experiment with placement it can be decent. I’m getting around 40-60 mbps, with only four bars (what they call “very good” reception). Placement makes a big difference, with even a couple inches difference taking me down to three bars. The app is handy for checking reception and deciding on placement.

That said, they sent me the older gateway. The new one looks like a “trash can” circa 2013 Mac Pro. The one they sent doesn’t even do 5G and looks like a white plastic Mac mini. But we called to bitch and they’re overnighting a new one when they get more of them in. So my setup is just LTE at the moment. Hoping that the 5G capable gateway takes it further, but even if it doesn’t this is WAY faster than what I had.

Was paying $174/mo for 12 down and 3 up. There just aren’t many options for how rural we are. This CRUSHES that, and $50/mo. No brainer. So far, anyway.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

No.  Put the app on your phone, and it'll show you the direction you need clear at your location. For us, it's due North.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.starlink.mobile&hl=en_US&gl=US
View Quote

@67Firebird

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SoundFX:
Was paying $174/mo for 12 down and 3 up. There just aren’t many options for how rural we are. This CRUSHES that, and $50/mo. No brainer. So far, anyway.
View Quote

And I thought I was getting casting couched by my rural ISP, ouch man.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#49]

And I thought I was getting casting couched by my rural ISP, ouch man.
View Quote

Yep, and I was lucky to get that. Been tearing my hair out this week trying to download 2TB of data critical to my work. My employer was cool with me leaving the city where we’re based on the condition that I could continue to fulfill all my responsibilities. I was getting freaked out that I was gonna have serious job problems if I couldn’t come up with a solution.

This works, today. The setup’s easy and cost is super reasonably priced. Will Starlink be better? Probably, I guess. I needed a solution RFN.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sizzlin_bacon:
View Quote
@sizzlin_bacon

https://www.starlink.com/
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top