Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
@sizzlin_bacon

https://www.starlink.com/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Originally Posted By sizzlin_bacon:
This is right in my wheelhouse. Rural WA State, clear view of Northern sky, 20 minutes south of Canada. How do I get in on the test?
@sizzlin_bacon

https://www.starlink.com/

I don't know much about what I'd be looking at speed-wise. How does this compare to Xfinity/cable internet speed-wise? I don't have internet at home because it is poor quality DSL (3 megabytes per second ). I also don't have cable because it is too expensive for minimal content worth watching.

For someone in Starlink's service band, would I be getting decent speeds for streaming or perhaps gaming? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SoundFX:

Yup, same story here. Only just became available to us. They said it’s still a pilot program even.

Too early to say much about reliability, but the speed smokes what I had. They had the gateway delivered in less than two days, and I had it up and running within twenty minutes (easy setup).

The speed ebbs and flows a little. I’m guessing that priority gets shuffled to nearby drivers on calls or something. But if you take your time and experiment with placement it can be decent. I’m getting around 40-60 mbps, with only four bars (what they call “very good” reception). Placement makes a big difference, with even a couple inches difference taking me down to three bars. The app is handy for checking reception and deciding on placement.

That said, they sent me the older gateway. The new one looks like a “trash can” circa 2013 Mac Pro. The one they sent doesn’t even do 5G and looks like a white plastic Mac mini. But we called to bitch and they’re overnighting a new one when they get more of them in. So my setup is just LTE at the moment. Hoping that the 5G capable gateway takes it further, but even if it doesn’t this is WAY faster than what I had.

Was paying $174/mo for 12 down and 3 up. There just aren’t many options for how rural we are. This CRUSHES that, and $50/mo. No brainer. So far, anyway.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SoundFX:
Originally Posted By cb4017:

Interesting.  Not available a week ago.  After seeing your post I checked T-Mobile availability.  What do ya know.  Now available here too.

If you would, let me know how that works for you.  Reliability, speed etc.  Almost anything would be better than the crappy DSL we have now.

Yup, same story here. Only just became available to us. They said it’s still a pilot program even.

Too early to say much about reliability, but the speed smokes what I had. They had the gateway delivered in less than two days, and I had it up and running within twenty minutes (easy setup).

The speed ebbs and flows a little. I’m guessing that priority gets shuffled to nearby drivers on calls or something. But if you take your time and experiment with placement it can be decent. I’m getting around 40-60 mbps, with only four bars (what they call “very good” reception). Placement makes a big difference, with even a couple inches difference taking me down to three bars. The app is handy for checking reception and deciding on placement.

That said, they sent me the older gateway. The new one looks like a “trash can” circa 2013 Mac Pro. The one they sent doesn’t even do 5G and looks like a white plastic Mac mini. But we called to bitch and they’re overnighting a new one when they get more of them in. So my setup is just LTE at the moment. Hoping that the 5G capable gateway takes it further, but even if it doesn’t this is WAY faster than what I had.

Was paying $174/mo for 12 down and 3 up. There just aren’t many options for how rural we are. This CRUSHES that, and $50/mo. No brainer. So far, anyway.

Well hell.  T-Mobile not available at my address but is a few houses down the road.  WTF!

Guess I'm still waiting on Starlink.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sizzlin_bacon:

I don't know much about what I'd be looking at speed-wise. How does this compare to Xfinity/cable internet speed-wise? I don't have internet at home because it is poor quality DSL (3 megabytes per second ). I also don't have cable because it is too expensive for minimal content worth watching.

For someone in Starlink's service band, would I be getting decent speeds for streaming or perhaps gaming? Thanks.
View Quote

Starlink will be fine for streaming and gaming, but cable will still blow it away.  Cable will give twice or more of the bandwidth, for half or less of the cost.  

Unless you're at the point where you need two connections either for reliability or to aggregate them, then cable is the obvious choice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Starlink will be fine for streaming and gaming, but cable will still blow it away.  Cable will give twice or more of the bandwidth, for half or less of the cost.  

Unless you're at the point where you need two connections either for reliability or to aggregate them, then cable is the obvious choice.
View Quote

If you're even got the option of cable, you're likely not the Starlink target market anyway.  It's more for folks like us, where are options are semi-reliable WISPS (if available), LTE setups (if available), or heaven forbid, HughesNet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Just for data points  I sent my info a few months ago.
Received an e-mail today that it will be available in my area of N.E. Ohio near the end of 2021.
I have a cable connection that provides 170 Mbps up and 15 down for $68.95 monthly, MUCH higher speed are available, of no use to me for browsing.

I still say, as I always have, that Starlink is a Blessing for those who need it.
I remember the late 1990's, logging in via modem, making my coffee, walking the Dogs and Hoping that I was connected before I had to leave for work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harvster] [#6]
I'm on day 3 here in Southern Michigan .  It's not often that high( that was five minutes ago).  It is usually in the 60-80 range but seems to swing between 15 and 150 a lot.  Quite stable so far with very few interruptions.  Everything is noticeably faster.  I just plugged their ethernet output from the POE block into my ASUS router and it works just fine.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Harvster:
I'm on day 3 here in Southern Michigan .  It's not often that high( that was five minutes ago).  It is usually in the 60-80 range but seems to swing between 15 and 150 a lot.  Quite stable so far with very few interruptions.  Everything is noticeably faster.  I just plugged their ethernet output from the POE block into my ASUS router and it works just fine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197072/FireShot_Capture_136_-_Speedtest_by_Ookl-1832496.png
View Quote

Yeah...I'm currently paying $99/mo for this.  So you can imagine my hope for Starlink to work...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried to register with Starlink a couple of months ago, but it just went round and round.  Today it accepted my address.  I paid my $99 and after years of HughesNet I'm really excited.

After reading about you guys and T-Mobile I may do that in the interim.  I use T-Mobile on my IPhone and it's rock solid since I installed a WeBoost on the house.

HughesNet sucks ass.  It claims 25 mbps, but a speed test says 6.5, and I'm paying $95 a month.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By motoguy:

If you're even got the option of cable, you're likely not the Starlink target market anyway.  It's more for folks like us, where are options are semi-reliable WISPS (if available), LTE setups (if available), or heaven forbid, HughesNet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By motoguy:
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Ordered 2 weeks ago and got this email tonight (4 times). Strange.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Drugmanrx:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326156/Screenshot_20210219-214840_Gmail_jpg-1832989.JPG
View Quote

I also ordered 2 weeks ago and just got that email 6 times
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:17:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusty1450] [#12]
I am thinking about ordering starlink.  
It is starting to look like I don't have any other options other than another hacked together 4g lte setup.  If my current att plan goes down, I am only left with the data on my verizon phone.  None of the wireless carriers seem to offer an official home internet plan at my address.  

Do you think the $499 equipment charge for starlink is alot of money?  I thought it sounded kind of expensive, but I live rather cheap so I am kind of out of touch with some of this stuff.

Is there any way the equipment could be sold or transferred later on? For example if someone decides to end the service after a year or two?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dusty1450:
I am thinking about ordering starlink.  
It is starting to look like I don't have any other options other than another hacked together 4g lte setup.  If my current att plan goes down, I am only left with the data on my verizon phone.  None of the wireless carriers seem to offer an official home internet plan at my address.  

Do you think the $499 equipment charge for starlink is alot of money?  I thought it sounded kind of expensive, but I live rather cheap so I am kind of out of touch with some of this stuff.

Is there any way the equipment could be sold or transferred later on? For example if someone decides to end the service after a year or two?
View Quote

I paid $1000 to install a 40' tower so I could access my local wisp's signal (trees on neighbors land were in the way)  $500 is a bargain.  Luckily, I should be able to sell my tower. I'll still have a 4' cube of concrete in my field that was the base of said tower.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mcnizzle:
I'll still have a 4' cube of concrete in my field that was the base of said tower.
View Quote

Launch pad for fireworks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]

I paid $1000 to install a 40' tower so I could access my local wisp's signal (trees on neighbors land were in the way)  $500 is a bargain.  Luckily, I should be able to sell my tower. I'll still have a 4' cube of concrete in my field that was the base of said tower.
View Quote

Are you trees going to block your starlink?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:30:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#16]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197072/FireShot_Capture_136_-_Speedtest_by_Ookl-1832496.png
View Quote

How long have you had it? I preordered the day they opened it up to everyone, and am in NW Ohio.

I live out in BFE, so Starlink is my only hope.

My conformation email said mid-late 2021 for fulfillment :(
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#18]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326156/Screenshot_20210219-214840_Gmail_jpg-1832989.JPG
View Quote

I so hope I get an email like that soon.

I have very few options, cellular sucks here, and the local WISP says I need a 75' tower because of my woods and those around me.

Have been getting buy with mobile hotspot, but at best we get 2 bars 4GLTE, thanks to a booster with an antenna on the roof.

As an ITpro, it's had not having decent, reliable internet at home.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

The tower I was looking at was $2500 for the kit, plus that or more would be required in concrete (self supporting, no guy wires).

When I first moved out here, it was on the agenda as I was self employed and needed it. Took a local gov job and put it on the back burner.

Then came starlink, and I thanked God for Elon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Paid my $100, and got in line this afternoon.

Two is one, and one is none.
View Quote

Brah, do you even SD-WAN
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#22]
Bruh, I was doing GRE tunnels before we had a cute name for it.
View Quote

I was more speaking to the use of SD-WAN with redundant WAN connections. You know, for fail-over, load balancing, etc. All things everyone needs for home interwebz
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I was looking at it.  The cost is twice what I'm paying now.   We'll see how it pans out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Paid my $100, and got in line this afternoon.

Two is one, and one is none.
View Quote

I got my "invite" today.

Seriously considering it as a backup, to see if it will work as a mobile device (camping) and familiarizing myself with how it installs, sets up and functions (I deal with stuff like this for a living).

Ooh, I just thought of another use for it. I can have a valid, usable internet connection at construction sites and get my work more completed prior to the homeowner getting their ISP connected.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Hopefully this puts downwards pressure on other ISPs such as Xfinity and Comcast, to stop fucking over users.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Day one.

So far so good. Was down for about 20 minutes an hour after getting it up. Most likely it updated.

70/20 up/down
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MedicBob:
Day one.

So far so good. Was down for about 20 minutes an hour after getting it up. Most likely it updated.

70/20 up/down
View Quote
What frequency is the router? Can it do 2.4 and the 5? Or one or the other? A bunch of my cameras and smaller devices are 2.4 only.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By way2qwk4u:
Ordered mine at day of opening for pre orders. Only internet we have is att hot spot. Crazy thing is there fiber 2 miles from the house. Which is nutz.
View Quote

The fiber line out here ends an 1/8 of a mile up the street. They won’t approve the zone our little street is on without 29 houses showing interest. I’m pretty sure there isn’t even 29 houses
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:
I got my "invite" today.

Seriously considering it as a backup, to see if it will work as a mobile device (camping) and familiarizing myself with how it installs, sets up and functions (I deal with stuff like this for a living).

Ooh, I just thought of another use for it. I can have a valid, usable internet connection at construction sites and get my work more completed prior to the homeowner getting their ISP connected.

View Quote

Some of what I read suggests that it only works in your designated/home cell.  They may allow mobile use in the future.  I just have no idea what has to occur for that to happen.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sailsail:
What frequency is the router? Can it do 2.4 and the 5? Or one or the other? A bunch of my cameras and smaller devices are 2.4 only.
View Quote

@sailsail

No idea actually. I am just using the Starlink WiFi to test and ensure it actually works. You can use your own WiFI router and ditch the Starlink one. Basically the actual router, POE,  etc. is in the power brick. The provided WAP does have a pass through port also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:

I got my "invite" today.

View Quote

Starlink is not supporting mobile service right now.  The satellites will be expecting you to be at a fix location and won't listen nor broadcast to another location if you move your antenna.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#33]
If I'm using a jet-pack as my primary internet today, is there a way to use the jet pack as backup automatically with starlink?

The jet-pack only has wifi as a connection option.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Erkeric:

I dont think they have named a price yet but they did hint at around 80. Something along the lines of "people are paying 80 for shitty internet and thats what we are trying to fix"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Erkeric:
Originally Posted By BlaineBug:
I get 200 mb with Comcast for $50/month.  I understand in rural areas that is not available.

What is the cost of Starlink's 100 mb package?  And I assume you need a satellite dish?

There used to be a nationwide satellite internet provider formerly called first DirecWay and then Hughes Net.  From what I recall it was pretty pricey so they were obviously taking advantage of those with no other choice but dial-up.

I dont think they have named a price yet but they did hint at around 80. Something along the lines of "people are paying 80 for shitty internet and thats what we are trying to fix"

Per the pre order  $500 equipment fee (75%refunds w/ return of equipment)  and $100/mo. $99 deposit for pre order with 100% refunds if canceled prior to shipping.  Expected delivery is 2-6 months for my AO
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:04:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ordnance:
Unfortunately, I'm getting ready to pack it up and send it back.  I was very hopeful to finally get some decent internet out in my rural area in Northwestern Oregon.  Got the beta test offer and received the hardware a couple weeks ago.

My speeds have been pretty slow in comparison to what others are reporting, typically 27-34 Mbps down.  But that's much better than the 5 or 6 Mbps I'm getting on my Verizon MiFi connection and good enough for my needs.  The bad news is my house is surrounded by 80-90ft Douglas fir trees that obstruct much of the sky.  The Starlink connection now works about 60%-70% of the time with 30% to 40% downtime as the satellites pass overhead.  Makes it very frustrating to do much online with the connection switching on and off constantly.

It looks like my best option now is to move to a T-mobile wifi hotspot device.  Similar to what I have with Verizon but 1/3 less cost and 6 times the data.
View Quote

Can you do a tower? I saw a dishy at the top of a 60 foot tower out SE of Grand Ronde.  

Too bad you can't send it to me, I'd be happy to give it a nice home.

I used the app to check for obstructions.  I was shocked at how much it could handle. My house will be fine in spite of trees to the north.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MatthewDB:
If I'm using a jet-pack as my primary internet today, is there a way to use the jet pack as backup automatically with starlink?

View Quote

@matthewdb

yes

https://www.amazon.com/Peplink-Balance-Multi-WAN-Router-BPL-031-LTE/dp/B00JCKW93K

or use a different hotspot like netgear that has an ethernet port and a cheaper dual wan router. I am considering using a dual wan router and keeping dsl as a backup.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Yes, it's possible.

Lots of products out there I'm sure, the FortiNet FortiExtender comes to mind as I'm a FortiNet guy.

Would pair well with a FortiGate as another WAN interface in a SD-WAN scenario. You could then setup a failover policy to use the LTE connection if Starlink went down.

I'm sure there are cheaper ways to achieve this though. FortiNet gear is very reasonably priced for enterprise level gear, but spendy for home networks.

That said, I'll be running a FortiGate 60E/F when I get my starlink going.

Does the $99 plan include a static IP? I wonder if that's an option if not?

Not a deal breaker, but would be nice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Starlink is not supporting mobile service right now.  The satellites will be expecting you to be at a fix location and won't listen nor broadcast to another location if you move your antenna.
View Quote

Yep.  Eagerly keeping an ear open for the day that happens, though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:00:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mcnizzle] [#39]

Are you trees going to block your starlink?
View Quote

No.  The tower is about 250' away from my house and the trees are about 1/4 mile away.  I can mount the starlink on my roof and have a nice clear view of the sky.

ETA: I still have a Directv dish mounted on the roof. Is there an adapter that I can use to mount the dishy to the directv mount?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#40]

No.  The tower is about 250' away from my house and the trees are about 1/4 mile away.  I can mount the starlink on my roof and have a nice clear view of the sky.

ETA: I still have a Directv dish mounted on the roof. Is there an adapter that I can use to mount the dishy to the directv mount?
View Quote
If you go to reddit starlink there is a vast amount of info.  Here is a link to dimensions measured by a user
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#41]

@sailsail

No idea actually. I am just using the Starlink WiFi to test and ensure it actually works. You can use your own WiFI router and ditch the Starlink one. Basically the actual router, POE,  etc. is in the power brick. The provided WAP does have a pass through port also.
View Quote

@MedicBob

You sure the router is in the brick? if so it would need to be labeled as such right...if I am not mistaken the brick is just an AC adapter and PoE injector. The modem(?) is onboard the terminal and new age artwork thing is labeled router next to the factory reset switch. As far as Ethernet goes I think the brick is just a pass through
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Blasko:

@MedicBob

You sure the router is in the brick? if so it would need to be labeled as such right...if I am not mistaken the brick is just an AC adapter and PoE injector. The modem(?) is onboard the terminal and new age artwork thing is labeled router next to the factory reset switch. As far as Ethernet goes I think the brick is just a pass through
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blasko:

@sailsail

@MedicBob

@Blasko

Considering Starlink is doing their own thing in regards to POE being different, it is really an educated guess. It is stated by Starlink that you can bring your own router/WAP and that you do not have to use their white router/WAP. There has to be another networking component, a modem, somewhere and that leaves the Dishy McFlatface and the power brick. I haven't read of anyone getting rid of the power brick, it appears to be essential to everything working.

There does appear to be groups attempting to specifically identify the POE standard and replicate it. Reading on Reddit someone has managed to extend their cable to almost 1000 feet, but they are still using the Starlink power brick and couldn't eliminate it.

I think of it this way, if not the white router/WAP and not the power brick, you should be able to plug the dish, if it is the modem, directly into your own router as long as you can provide power to the dish. No one has gotten that to work.

I have a simple understanding of how this all works and am trying to keep it as simple as possible. I certainly can be wrong and have not tested much further then some simple attempts at reconfiguration.

An issue is what the tech savvy know is a router to what a lay person thinks is one to what Starlink has actually made a router. I certainly like the idea of the dish being a modem and the power brick being only that. I rewatched the dish teardown and it certainly appears to be the "modem" of the system, but I don't believe anyone has torn down the power brick yet as looked to see if anything else lurks in there other then just the POE.

So I can certainly be wrong and should have clarified that in my post to SailSail
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#43]
People are having good experience so far.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.
View Quote

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I just did a speed test on our Excede/Viasat, for comparison.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#46]

@sailsail

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sailsail:

@sailsail

Awesome! So I just plug the cable From the power supply to my existing router?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Balista:
People are having good experience so far.

https://i.redd.it/m9762n257ni61.jpg
View Quote

That is pretty remarkable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Starlink poised to double its speeds to ~300 Mbps by the end of the year

"Starlink may already be providing rapid web access to several remote areas today, but the satellite internet service is poised to get even better this year. As per recent comments on Twitter from SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, Starlink’s speeds should double to about ~300 Mbps later this year, with latency dropping to about ~20 ms. "
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Muad:

How long have you had it? I preordered the day they opened it up to everyone, and am in NW Ohio.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Muad:

Mid to late 2021 here as well. Northern Maine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I have Charter cable here. I still preordered Starlink. Having a second option is necessary to me personally.

Also, I like to support Elon's endeavors in any way I can.
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top