BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sailsail:
Awesome! So I just plug the cable From the power supply to my existing router?
View Quote

@SailSail

Yes. I haven't yet, but it is not an issue. Every their own FAQ says you can bring your own router. Several people on Reddit have done it. There is also an example of setting up a static route to access Dishy for statistics if needed/wanted.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ordered.

Current internet is some wireless thing with microwaves off a tower.  12 Mbps up, 4 down. $115.  I often don't get half that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Balista:
Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

Hopefully this is something that will not be a permanent limitation of their system.

Missing out on a huge market with boats, RVs, trucking, people with multiple locations, campers, construction crews and the like.

Wonder how big the "cells" are?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MatthewDB:

Can you do a tower? I saw a dishy at the top of a 60 foot tower out SE of Grand Ronde.  

Too bad you can't send it to me, I'd be happy to give it a nice home.

I used the app to check for obstructions.  I was shocked at how much it could handle. My house will be fine in spite of trees to the north.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MatthewDB:
Originally Posted By ordnance:
Unfortunately, I'm getting ready to pack it up and send it back.  I was very hopeful to finally get some decent internet out in my rural area in Northwestern Oregon.  Got the beta test offer and received the hardware a couple weeks ago.

My speeds have been pretty slow in comparison to what others are reporting, typically 27-34 Mbps down.  But that's much better than the 5 or 6 Mbps I'm getting on my Verizon MiFi connection and good enough for my needs.  The bad news is my house is surrounded by 80-90ft Douglas fir trees that obstruct much of the sky.  The Starlink connection now works about 60%-70% of the time with 30% to 40% downtime as the satellites pass overhead.  Makes it very frustrating to do much online with the connection switching on and off constantly.

It looks like my best option now is to move to a T-mobile wifi hotspot device.  Similar to what I have with Verizon but 1/3 less cost and 6 times the data.

Can you do a tower? I saw a dishy at the top of a 60 foot tower out SE of Grand Ronde.  

Too bad you can't send it to me, I'd be happy to give it a nice home.

I used the app to check for obstructions.  I was shocked at how much it could handle. My house will be fine in spite of trees to the north.

Shipped it off today.  I would have preferred to keep it for another 8 or 10 months to see if the additional satellites they deploy help the situation. Ideally, I would have kept the hardware and suspended service for a few months to try again later.  But they don't allow that and couldn't justify another $100 a month bill for something that doesn't work very well at my location.

My property makes it really difficult for Starlink to work.  South facing hillside with the house sitting in bowl surrounded by tall trees in all directions.  Mostly firs but some maples, alders, and others that will make the situation even worse when the leaves return in the Spring.  I really don't want to log any of them because I like living in the trees and would prefer to not have a "fire break" or "satellite break" lane of trees missing.  

Not too enthused about a tower either as anything tall enough to be useful would exceed the 100' long cable provided between the dish and house.

But the T-Mobile wifi gear has arrived and is working great.  Fast enough for my needs and only $55 a month.  I'll live with it for now and maybe give Starlink another try when more satellites are up and others are raving about how great a signal they get on their wooded properties like mine.  For reference purposes, here's a photo of my house after a snow storm a few years back with its anti-satellite Doug Fir defense perimeter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]
That's pretty dense.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got my subscription. What’s next?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:

Hopefully this is something that will not be a permanent limitation of their system.

Missing out on a huge market with boats, RVs, trucking, people with multiple locations, campers, construction crews and the like.

View All Quotes

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

Elon has said that it will be usable in "fast moving vehicles" so I think you could use it while driving down the road in the future.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Their Nov 24th webcast showed some cells on a map. Roughly 15 miles in diameter. You need to remember the constellation is not even remotely complete and none of the main grid satellites have laser interlinks. "Better than Nothing Beta" means just that. Once everything is up and working you should have complete mobility. They've already tested it on an airplane so RVs shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SIASL:
Just got my subscription. What's next?
View Quote
Haha, I did too. Ran through that application as fast as my fingers would let me. Hard to believe they are reaching this far south so soon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tabraha:
Haha, I did too. Ran through that application as fast as my fingers would let me. Hard to believe they are reaching this far south so soon.
View Quote
They skipped over Ohio!

Must still be trying to get ground stations up?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
They skipped over Ohio!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
They skipped over Ohio!

View Quote
I bet they are trying to establish a nationwide presence for PR purposes even if it is spotty.

I'd like to know what the average time from available to order to actually shipping hardware is at the moment. Mid to late 2021 is going to take forever now. This will be like waiting on a NFA stamp.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I just paid a deposit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hdhogman] [#14]
They skipped over Ohio!

View All Quotes
They skipped over Ohio!

I'm in Mahoning County, very happy with Armstrong cable but I sent  Starlink my info a few months ago just to see how long it would take for service to become available in my area.
First reply stated late 2021, so the are moving along.
Received an application last week.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
East Texas just got service. Kind of curious on how well it works considering I was looking at the map and the coverage was very spotty.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hdhogman:

I'm in Mahoning County, very happy with Armstrong cable but I Starlink my info a few months ago just to see how long it would take for service to become available in my area.
View All Quotes
They skipped over Ohio!

I'm in Mahoning County, very happy with Armstrong cable but I Starlink my info a few months ago just to see how long it would take for service to become available in my area.
Wrong, read back a couple pages and you'll see Ohio included in actual orders, I'm one of them. $588 for the kit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got the invite, can't decide if I want to pull the trigger or not. I'm directly west of Atlanta.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:16:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#18]
I got the invite earlier today and jumped all over it for one of our addresses.  Called my dad and had him sign up for another address.

These are Texas anywhere from 10 to 100 miles south of the I-20 corridor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:
I got the invite earlier today and jumped all over it for one of our addresses.  Called my dad and had him sign up for another address.

View Quote

I am 30 miles north of the I20 corridor.

I am tempted because my 20mb down costs me $120/month.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the invite today for northwest of Denver. I have 500mbps cable so I won’t pull the trigger yet. I wanted it for travel, but since that’s not applicable in the beta I am not interested at this time. Cool to see the rollout broaden, though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

What latitude if you wouldn't mind?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

I am 30 miles north of the I20 corridor.

I am tempted because my 20mb down costs me $120/month.
View Quote

Same here, Northern Van Zandt County.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#23]
They skipped over Ohio!

View Quote

According to the starlink subreddit, Ohio's current lats are 39.0-41.7 N. I'm at 41.13N

So, it appears Ohio wasn't totally skipped over.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my invite for Western North Carolina today. Says mid 2021 to late 2021

Hoping sooner,deposit placed

How do you get the roof mount? Not seeing it on the starlink site to order
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:

View Quote

I think they will send you another email from to purchase it once Starlink is available in NC.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FreeCarolina:

I think they will send you another email from to purchase it once Starlink is available in NC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreeCarolina:

Oh,ok i thought i was going nuts trying to find it.

Hoping some of the trees in the northern part of my house doesnt effect to network
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Just got a shipping notice
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
I placed my deposit yesterday, NW NC. Says mid 2021 for us too.

Best available to purchase for us currently is up to 3mbps DSL but we are making do with cell service which is around 1-3mbps depending on its mood.

Will be glad to have fast service.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hdhogman] [#29]
Originally Posted By MikeEIB:
Wrong, read back a couple pages and you'll see Ohio included in actual orders, I'm one of them. $588 for the kit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeEIB:
They skipped over Ohio!

That's what I meant, I received an application---invite for service.
Way ahead of their original speculation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]
One of the draws for me is that I can help fund Starship development.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:28:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PresidentJ] [#31]
Put my deposit down. Was finally notified by email that they are finally getting ready in my area. Currently 6 down 0.6 up for 60 bucks. My neighbor is using the 20-40 foot tower off the roof to somehow get a line of site on a cell phone tower for about 150 a month.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I really want them to IPO.  There's tons of applications for this service that haven't even been mentioned yet.  This truly could be like investing in Apple during the 80s.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I HATE my ISP, and honestly for the extra 20% a month and start up fee it would be worth it just to give Cox cable the middle finger. I'm usually at around 160 Mbps down, but it's down or latent as shit a surprising amount of time.

No cable so all my video consumption is streamed. 4K etc but generally only one TV at a time. Think I'll hate myself if I get onboard? I'm in a major metro so the concept of using the satellites is a little ridiculous, but like I said I hate those bastards, and they're my only option.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#35]

View Quote

One is 32.  The other is 31.

The  loc was my original signup. When I received the email today I checked the further north (and 300 miles West) loc and it offered a reservation as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

I got the email Sunday and paid the deposit. Next email said mid summer to around years end is when my package will ship.

If you're not signed up, just go to their sight and put your address in to check.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Darcy:
I HATE my ISP, and honestly for the extra 20% a month and start up fee it would be worth it just to give Cox cable the middle finger. I'm usually at around 160 Mbps down, but it's down or latent as shit a surprising amount of time.

No cable so all my video consumption is streamed. 4K etc but generally only one TV at a time. Think I'll hate myself if I get onboard? I'm in a major metro so the concept of using the satellites is a little ridiculous, but like I said I hate those bastards, and they're my only option.
View Quote

While it can probably meet your needs without issue, you'll also be dealing with issues like weather based outages or loss of signal. I don't think I would give up a wired connection unless it was truly, truly shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:16:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Elwwod] [#38]
100% agree. We have 600 maps since China virus work from home and school from home. I want to be able to park my travel trailer in a random forest and have internet connectivity for my and my wife's work and for the kid's school.

Crazy that we are even close to be able to do this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ponykilr:

Best available to purchase for us currently is up to 3mbps DSL but we are making do with cell service which is around 1-3mbps depending on its mood.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ponykilr:

Me too.

I have been using my Verizon hotspot now for almost 5 years at 5.62  mbps on a good day.
It works but its nowhere near ideal with such slow downloads
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ARfanboy:
I really want them to IPO.  There's tons of applications for this service that haven't even been mentioned yet.  This truly could be like investing in Apple during the 80s.
View Quote

Shhh stop telling people. It was supposed to be our secret.

But in all seriousness I agree. This is a huge impact and the likelihood of success is much higher because Elon has the delivery system. The only entities that can compete at this point are state agencies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Im in Dunnellon Fl So looks like they are moving south rapidly, we signed up as well Thou my house isn't even up yet   They said mid to end of year
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:26:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Got 224Mbps down this morning on starlink.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Harvster:
Got 224Mbps down this morning on starlink.
View Quote

Awesome

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Redarts:

While it can probably meet your needs without issue, you'll also be dealing with issues like weather based outages or loss of signal. I don't think I would give up a wired connection unless it was truly, truly shit.
View Quote

From what I am seeing, weather is not an issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:

OK, you are farther south than me. Now I just need them to give me service in Arizona.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I signed up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:
I signed up.
View Quote

Whereabouts in East Texas?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By pasquale91:

Whereabouts in East Texas?
View Quote

Wood County
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm worried the Indian love call will take the whole system down.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Im just sitting here waiting on the FedEx delivery......
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top