Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Already installed and pulling 160mbps here in Northern KY.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:
I signed up.
View Quote
Me too.  "Starlink will begin offering service in your area beginning mid to late 2021."  

I want it now! What times are people seeing from deposit to actual availability?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Ordered Feb 9th as soon as I got the email at 6:30 pm.
Just got shipping notification
I can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CFII:
View Quote

Saw your post that you were awaiting delivery.
You sure got that setup and online quickly.
Good Job!
What were your previous speeds.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Me too.  "Starlink will begin offering service in your area beginning mid to late 2021."  

I want it now! What times are people seeing from deposit to actual availability?
View Quote

Im fine with it. The longer it goes the less outages I will have. I am looking forward to saying fuck you to my isp.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone use VOIP with this yet? Since it uses CGNAT I was curious how people that work from home would use it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By schrodingerscat:
Ordered Feb 9th as soon as I got the email at 6:30 pm.
Just got shipping notification
I can't wait.
View Quote

@schrodingerscat

I'm jelly..I ordered on 2/8 not shipped yet...what does your order number start with?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Got my invite today not sure what to do right now.  

52 bucks gets me this.  Though occasionally it is slow as all git out.

Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second
Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload
Latency: 14 ms
Server: Dallas

Your Internet connection is fast.

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Pulled the trigger on Tmo today. I will evaluate it until Starlink tells me I can order and that that point I'll switch or cancel my starlink preorder.

Good news is I can tell my shitty ass DSL company to suck my balls.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
To anyone who has it already and has some obstructions like trees.

How much does this affect the signal? I have a few oaks in the northern area behind my house just wondering how much causes issues
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
For those who have signed up what is actual cost and what is deposit to get on the list?

I saw an article dated earlier  this year saying 499 for equipment and 100 per month, but their actual website does not show info or at least not until you say purchase to get on list. And I have not made the link yet not that you have to purchase if you click it.

Currently paying 50 a month for 3 down and about .75 up. With 2 high school kids and wife and I a little more speed would be nice. I could get about 6 down but would cost me another 20-30 a month so the jump for starlink sounds possibly worth it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fettesbrotde] [#12]
Originally Posted By constitutionlvr:
For those who have signed up what is actual cost and what is deposit to get on the list?

I saw an article dated earlier  this year saying 499 for equipment and 100 per month, but their actual website does not show info or at least not until you say purchase to get on list. And I have not made the link yet not that you have to purchase if you click it.

Currently paying 50 a month for 3 down and about .75 up. With 2 high school kids and wife and I a little more speed would be nice. I could get about 6 down but would cost me another 20-30 a month so the jump for starlink sounds possibly worth it.
View Quote
Its 499 for equipment, 99 deposit, and tax.

The deposit is deducted from the total equipment cost, so one payment of 99, then like 400 once the order ships.

99 a month service plan starting 15 days after receipt of equipment. Unlimited data.

Most people are seeing around 130ish down and about 5 to 10 up, but thats going to go up once the sats all get in position and more launched.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By averwo:
Anyone use VOIP with this yet? Since it uses CGNAT I was curious how people that work from home would use it.
View Quote
The wife tried it and it didn't work well. I am sure that will improve as satellites are added. For any downloading/uploading...we strictly use the Starlink but we run all VOIP over our current DSL router.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

So fast he’s in the future.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hdhogman:

Saw your post that you were awaiting delivery.
You sure got that setup and online quickly.
Good Job!
What were your previous speeds.
View Quote

Best I could get from ATT was around 20, with 10 upload. Most of the time the download was slower, and its capped. Which sucks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my notice of "soon" yesterday, inviting me to pay a refundable $99 to get in line.
I guess I'll see
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

Wood County
View Quote

Next door to the west in Van Zandt, will see when it come more available in a few months.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By constitutionlvr:

View Quote

Unrelated, but is your avatar from the Indian Peaks Wilderness?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By pasquale91:

Next door to the west in Van Zandt, will see when it come more available in a few months.
View Quote

Howdy neighbor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in South Carolina and placed my order yesterday.  Does anyone have any real idea the wait time?  Is 6 months the best guess?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Drugmanrx:

@schrodingerscat

I'm jelly..I ordered on 2/8 not shipped yet...what does your order number start with?
View Quote

ORD-673xx-xxxxx-xx
That's a weird looking order number.
The day before I was excited to see a shipped email from starlink, only to be disappointed it was the roof mount I ordered after the system
FedEx says next Tuesday for delivery
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Mentioned it early in the thread but today is install day for our GigaFiber in the middle of nowheresville.  Call us FSA I guess cause we didn’t pay for any installation and we are 1000ft from the road where they strung the lines.

This apparently was part of stimulus 1 for rural connectivity.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Video on Starlink setup

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:28:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#25]
Where people are using Starlink internet

Source
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#26]

ORD-673xx-xxxxx-xx
The day before I was excited to see a shipped email from starlink, only to be disappointed it was the roof mount I ordered after the system
View Quote

Wanting to order the roof mount but not seeing it on starlink website. Got a link?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Where people are using Starlink internet

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/MHQHSRdVRqdy4fZYydsWpF-970-80.png.webp

Source
View Quote

Are there really people in L.A. County without a high speed option?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

View Quote

SpaceX facility.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

SpaceX facility.
View Quote

Ahh, well there you go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:

Wanting to order the roof mount but not seeing it on starlink website. Got a link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:

ORD-673xx-xxxxx-xx

Same, I can't see crap on their website as far as trying to order accessories.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:21:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BeatsOfftoEVs] [#31]
Originally Posted By Muad:

Same, I can't see crap on their website as far as trying to order accessories.
View Quote

Let's see if this works

Volcano mount

https://shop.starlink.com/products/us-consumer-mount-volcano

Pole mount

https://shop.starlink.com/products/us-consumer-mount-pipeadapter

Cable routing kit

https://shop.starlink.com/products/us-consumer-cablerouting-kit

I think that's all the available accessories
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Let's see if this works

Volcano mount

Pole mount

Cable routing kit

View Quote

I am at the $99 prepay status.  So I technically have an account, but each of those links redirects me to my account home page and i cannot browse anywhere else.

I'm guessing they only present those to accounts which are fully authorized.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:48:09 AM EDT
[#33]
We bought a mount from here;

https://thesatelliteshop.net/

Once we get the Starlink equipment, we'll see if we got the right one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:59:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Micke] [#34]
Medicmandan delete
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:57:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#35]
Some reports in the other thread.  Latency is on par with terrestrial based service.  As the satellites are low earth orbit the physics allow it, unlike geosync which current satellite internet based offerings use.

Geosync is 26200 miles.  So that right there is 281 milliseconds of time just for the signal to crawl up to geosync and back down.  Then your signals go through their collection center, wherever it is, and out from there.  

Starlink is 350 ish miles.  4 milliseconds.  And starlink bounces your signal right back down to a 'local' receiver.  As I understand it anyway.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:06:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Micke] [#36]
Medicmandan delete
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Been noticing my speed increase. When I first got it a few months back, the first week was upwards of 150, then slowed down and for the past 3 months has been a top of 70 down. For the past few days it's upwards of 180. And, the random beta downtimes that happened at 3am everynight for 20 or so minutes, necessitating a reboot, have been gone. Coming from 5 down if I was lucky, to this has been a godsend. I can actually download work things from home, instead of going to town and connecting to someones wifi or driving somewhere to get a 4g signal and tethering.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Micke:

A few questions for you or others:

Do you notice any latency?  Have you measured latency and if so, what's it running?

Also, is anyone running VPN with it?  

Back in 2003, I had satellite internet and there was about 200 times the latency they claimed.  Also, I couldn't get VPN to work with it back then.  Yeah, I doubt VPN will be a problem with modern satellite but thought I'd ask.

Finally, what are upload speeds running?

I haven't kept up with this thread so some of this may have been addressed and I missed it.  Once burned, twice shy, but I'm thinking about trying it again.  I live out at the intersection of a dirt road and a goat trail so all that's available here is really lousy DSL.  Even with a cell phone amp, the only cell service that will partially work here is Verizon.  Their 4G cell tower is 57 miles away.  I am so damned tired of slow internet.  

View Quote
I typically get pings of 31 or 32 most often.  But I have been anywhere from 21 to 50 something.  Download speed typically 70Mbps but anywhere from 15 to over 200Mbps have been seen.  Upload is often right around 20Mbps but has varied from 5 to 30 or so.  Just connected Express VPN through a place in Canada and got 66 ping 122down  19up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

I am at the $99 prepay status.  So I technically have an account, but each of those links redirects me to my account home page and i cannot browse anywhere else.

View All Quotes

Let's see if this works

Volcano mount

Pole mount

Cable routing kit

Same for me. Thanks for the links though.

I found some posts on reddit linking to other mounts people have used. I'll likely wait and see what the starlink offerings cost compared to the ones linked to on amazon, then decide.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Let's see if this works

Volcano mount

Pole mount

Cable routing kit

Same here. Redirects to sign in page
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

View Quote

There are... I know a couple.    They say the cable sucks and they don't have fiber to their building/neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I think the issue is you need to have an account where you have ordered the system and not just pre-ordered. My account page shows the 3 available accessories available for purchase
First is a pipe adapter to attach the satellite to a pole (apparently not available until April of 2021?)

Second is a roof mount

Third is a cable routing kit

I have only ordered the volcano roof mount and had to pay tax, but it had free shipping. So far those are the only items available from starlink.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I think the issue is you need to have an account where you have ordered the system and not just pre-ordered. My account page shows the 3 available accessories available for purchase
First is a pipe adapter to attach the satellite to a pole (apparently not available until April of 2021?)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433701/Screenshot_20210227-145209-1843897.png
Second is a roof mount
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433701/Screenshot_20210227-145252-1843905.png
Third is a cable routing kit
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433701/Screenshot_20210227-145234-1843898.png
I have only ordered the volcano roof mount and had to pay tax, but it had free shipping. So far those are the only items available from starlink.
View Quote

The RidgeMount is available as well, it's just not publicly listed on the page.  I sent a customer service email asking about it, and was able to order it.  It's actually sitting in my entryway right now, waiting for the rest of the gear to catch up.  lol

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:34:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Micke] [#44]
Medicmandan delete
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#45]
We got a J-Mount, something like this;

Attachment Attached File

It's going to mount next to the gable vent, and point over the house (across the ridge, away from the camera). We just got that roof put on in 2016, and I'm not putting any holes in it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Haven't read the whole thread but I did get my invite for service.

Two questions:
1. are there data caps or throttling?
2. are you stuck to one location ie you cant use is as mobile internet for camping and whatnot?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By motoguy:

The RidgeMount is available as well, it's just not publicly listed on the page.  I sent a customer service email asking about it, and was able to order it.  It's actually sitting in my entryway right now, waiting for the rest of the gear to catch up.  lol

https://i.imgur.com/dqJxNw0.png
View Quote

This is what I want, standing by for your feedback on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
Haven't read the whole thread but I did get my invite for service.

Two questions:
1. are there data caps or throttling?
2. are you stuck to one location ie you cant use is as mobile internet for camping and whatnot?
View Quote

No
Yes (at this time).
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By CFII:
View Quote

So I’m able to get it here in north east ky. So $500 hardware and $100 a month? What’s upload speed for you?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got my notice beta test hard ware is available ( signed up last year) Local cable company is running fiber to my house in two weeks for 1Gig want to try starlink but fiber is cheaper and faster. Now to decide
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top