User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Lia Thomas is an E5 in the Army?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I was 10th Mountain

In fact i was the first 10th Mountain person to show up on Ft Benning  (Because that's where they activated 2nd Brigade---since Drum wasn't ready on 'new post')

There was a Division "activation" group up at Drum---and the first brigade to 'activate' was to be 2nd Brigade; down at Benning.

I was just a 1LT at the time and Benning didn't know what to do with me.  So they put me in a room in Splinter Village by the old pistol range with two telephones.  MG Carpenter would call me up each FRI and ask me  " Hey SteveH06 how is the division doing down there?"   I'd tell him   "everyone made the run today Sir!" and shit like that.

This was 1986 i guess.  I'd get a call to attend the G-3 range scheduling meeting at Benning main post.  There I'd be---a stupid 1LT--alongside experienced staff majors from the 197th, the Ranger Regiment, etc.   So, they'd turn to me and ask   "So LT H,  what do you think 10th Mountain will need in terms of ranges for training in the 2nd quarter of FY 07?"   I didn't have a fucking clue.  But that didn't stop me.   I'd say  "I think we'll need the following qualification ranges and the following training areas......."

fast forward a year and I'm a lowly captain on the brigade staff waiting for a rifle company to come open.  The brigade S-3 is looking at the ranges and training areas we're scheduled to occupy the coming quarter and he's aghast!?   Who the fuck scheduled us for this shit??      "I don't know Sir,  doesn't make much sense to me!"  ;-)

CARAVAN GUARD '89   First time 10th MTN returned to Europe.  We had to hide up in the woods and mountains so the mechanized forces wouldn't shit stomp us.   Good times

Climb To Glory
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was 10th Mountain

In fact i was the first 10th Mountain person to show up on Ft Benning  (Because that's where they activated 2nd Brigade---since Drum wasn't ready on 'new post')

There was a Division "activation" group up at Drum---and the first brigade to 'activate' was to be 2nd Brigade; down at Benning.

I was just a 1LT at the time and Benning didn't know what to do with me.  So they put me in a room in Splinter Village by the old pistol range with two telephones.  MG Carpenter would call me up each FRI and ask me  " Hey SteveH06 how is the division doing down there?"   I'd tell him   "everyone made the run today Sir!" and shit like that.

This was 1986 i guess.  I'd get a call to attend the G-3 range scheduling meeting at Benning main post.  There I'd be---a stupid 1LT--alongside experienced staff majors from the 197th, the Ranger Regiment, etc.   So, they'd turn to me and ask   "So LT H,  what do you think 10th Mountain will need in terms of ranges for training in the 2nd quarter of FY 07?"   I didn't have a fucking clue.  But that didn't stop me.   I'd say  "I think we'll need the following qualification ranges and the following training areas......."

fast forward a year and I'm a lowly captain on the brigade staff waiting for a rifle company to come open.  The brigade S-3 is looking at the ranges and training areas we're scheduled to occupy the coming quarter and he's aghast!?   Who the fuck scheduled us for this shit??      "I don't know Sir,  doesn't make much sense to me!"  ;-)

CARAVAN GUARD '89   First time 10th MTN returned to Europe.  We had to hide up in the woods and mountains so the mechanized forces wouldn't shit stomp us.   Good times

https://i.postimg.cc/44h22tKk/Donau-Valley.jpg

Climb To Glory
View Quote

amazing.  soooo ... the rumour about marching from Benning to Drum to activate?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My son is Scout Recon in the 10th right now, prepping for SFAS. He doesn't have a lot of great things to say about them.
View Quote

My buddy is 2 years away from retirement and doesn't have a lot of great things to say about the 101st either. I'd bet it's everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My buddy is 2 years away from retirement and doesn't have a lot of great things to say about the 101st either. I'd bet it's everywhere.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Brother i was there.  With COL Plummer and CSM Cruise---on the speaker phone with Napalm Bill Carpenter up at Drum     COL Plummer and CSM Cruise really really wanted to do this and to train up a team to march the colors down.  MG Carpenter was more pragmatic and overroad them like a steamroller.    

"I want you to focus like a laser on the fundamentals.  Build me good squads; then good platoons--then we will work on good companies."

So there was to be no marching of the colors down the Appalachian Trail from Drum to Benning.  Sorry.  

*I was greatly relieved as they [Plummer and Cruise] were looking at me to lead this team and i wasn't excited about the prospect as I'd just met my future wife
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Brother i was there.  With COL Plummer and CSM Cruise---on the speaker phone with Napalm Bill Carpenter up at Drum     COL Plummer and CSM Cruise really really wanted to do this and to train up a team to march the colors down.  MG Carpenter was more pragmatic and overroad them like a steamroller.    

"I want you to focus like a laser on the fundamentals.  Build me good squads; then good platoons--then we will work on good companies."

So there was to be no marching of the colors down the Appalachian Trail from Drum to Benning.  Sorry.  

*I was greatly relieved as they [Plummer and Cruise] were looking at me to lead this team and i wasn't excited about the prospect as I'd just met my future wife
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhh, Army lore

We definitely liked fucking road marches though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
25th>10th
View Quote

my man

Ft Drum sucked --  what little time i have spent there

having water freeze in your canteens at night -- IN AUGUST -- is just plain wrong
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now going from Benning up to Drum?  Well, we'd just finished up our first batch of COHORT Soldiers and I was on my second company command.   What a shit show discharging all those Soldiers; packing up all our shit; trying to retain a semblance of a "cadre" of junior NCOs [the COHORTS were relentless and many had already made E5].

We did talk about marching the 2nd Brigade Colors back up the Appalachian Trail back up to Drum.  But to be honest it just got lost in the whole gigantic endeavor of deactivating a COHORT brigade; moving it's remnants and all it's properties; up to Drum and receiving its new load of COHORTs.

cool shit like marching the colors up the Appalachian Trail got talked about; and then just got buried in the mundane shit of doing the above

sorry

I was sorry too. I thought it was a cool idea.  Especially since I wouldn't have to do it  :-)

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What the fuck is that thing?  
View Quote

A light infant-man?

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wearing a wig I think.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]

That whole show was a slow train wreck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

my man

having water freeze in your canteens at night -- IN AUGUST -- is just plain wrong
View Quote

Four Seasons at Ft Drum;  June, July, August, and Winter

My LTs used to complain bitterly about the women up there.   "Sir, you don't really know what she looks like till you get her back to the BOQ and take her snow suit off!"

Good times
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

my man

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
25th>10th

my man

Summers are beautiful up there, except for mosquitoes, black flies, etc.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#15]

or get the tax payer to foot the bill to cut my junk off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
"Crossing swords" takes on a whole new meaning.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What the fuck is that thing?  
View Quote

That’s your new SL, corporal. I bet that thang will follow Biden’s orders.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

They are going to send a Chad and a tranny to defend us?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

my man

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
25th>10th

my man

There's only two seasons at Ft Drum,  Winter and the 4th of July
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We are gonna take heavy losses in the next serious peer-to-peer conflict in the name of diversity.
View Quote

Self correcting problem?

Well, only if senior brass and politicians lead the way...
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Insert here:

[Carmel by the Sea  link to army not meeting recruiting number]
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Kind of Harbor Freight Marines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kind of Harbor Freight Marines.

FIFY and I'll take that as a compliment.

Quoted:

Ohhh, Army lore

We definitely liked fucking road marches though.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Regardless of if it's a troon or a homely female, how is that hair within reg?
View Quote
It isn't
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#24]
My dad was 10th Mtn in WWII. Fought through the mountains of Italy. If he were still with us, I shudder to imagine what he would think of this shit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Snowshoe made into a plaque.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the fuck is that?

Snowshoe made into a plaque.

Edit:
I don’t have the same right to opinion as some of yall in here or anyone who served.

But I am not amused about what it means.  I know when my face is being rubbed in shit for mockery's sake.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh look, Edward Scissorhands joined the Army, that ought to be a fun and quirky story.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Showed little sister and she just shook her head then said "idiots!"
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

HFS talk about the Good Idea Fairy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Watertown is not known for beautiful women.
View Quote

This is correct. The Dependapotamus is a homely creature
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I'm in no position to criticize anyone who's served, but can I get a pass on my stolen valor lower now?  It is a crossdresser of sorts....

I live in a ski town, its a popular motif, LGS had a few of these made up years ago. Dont flame me bro...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Sad state of affairs...
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#32]
10th MTN solidified my decision to leave the Army after 17 years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Very Nice!

One time we (2nd Brigade) were doing external evaluation of a 1st Brigade infantry battalion. 2-22 INF if i recall correctly.  One desperately cold night they were to do a "Infiltration Attack" where they'd break down to platoon level to infiltrate the objective area and then form back up to strike the target at dawn.  Just like the French and Indian War.     Anywhoo.  I was evaluating one of the rifle companies and this nimrod decided he was going to have his platoons infiltrate right through this giant assed swamp.  His figuring was "No one will expect us to go thru the swamp in this weather."    You're goddamn right buddy

Man what a horrible horrible night.   I infiltrated with the company Hq element and one of their platoons.   So around 0200 we're standing in waist deep water, stopped while some asshole up front is making a compass check (this is well before GPS).  So we're standing there in waist deep water while it gently snows on us in the bitter cold night.  

Suddenly, i hear a commotion behind me.  Someone is sloshing up the line of Mountain Troopers--cursing as he comes up.   This guy grabs my rucksack and jerks me around to peer at my face in the dark.    "Who the fuck are you?"    so i tell him  "I'm captain H--who the fuck are you; and let go of my fucking ruck!"    Guy lets go of my ruck and says   "I'm Colonel Keane, 1st brigade commander---where is the captain in charge of this cluster fuck?"     So I tell him.   "Right up there sir  three people up from us"   So colonel Keane sloshed on up to this dumbass captain and i could hear him chewing him out up there in that dark swamp.    We very quickly exited the swamp.  Went admin.  Lit fires.  Put on dry clothes and warmed back up.

Colonel Keane had heard about this dumbass and himself marched into the swamp that night to find us and extract his Soldiers from that horrible situation.  God Bless that man.

*ETA   COL Keane went on to four stars and retired as vice chief of the Army.  Every time i see him on Fox news i think of that night

Climb to Glory!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Regardless of if it's a troon or a homely female, how is that hair within reg?
View Quote

Female hair regs got relaxed a bit a few years ago, and many leaders are hesitant to correct females on out of reg hair for obvious reasons .
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A light infant-man?

View Quote

It’s an Infantry-ma’am.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I will now go remove the 10th Mountain license plates from my car, and everywhere else. I am beyond ashamed.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We are gonna take heavy losses in the next serious peer-to-peer conflict in the name of diversity.
View Quote
Unfortunately this.

Also, since the military of the early nineties was poor, I figured they just sent whatever unit was in the least bad shape to do what the NCA needed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
10th MTN solidified my decision to leave the Army after 17 years.
View Quote

Notes location.

If you're in 3/10, that's not really 10th Mountain.

I mean 10th sucks, but 3/10 is on another level.  Kind of a shame as separate brigades have the potential to be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Same EXEVAL at Ft Drum

Each afternoon we'd get together at our battalion's HQ and turn in our observations of our respective companies in 2-22 INF and get guidance from our battalion commander before going back to cover down on that night's activities

For whatever reason i decided to fuck with everyone so around lunchtime i ate four packs of MRE  Pork and Beans.  Fully fueled i went to that afternoons gathering at our Bn CDR's GP small tent.  We're all crouched in this small tent on our little folding stools reporting on the previous days activities when the Pork and Beans came to full effect.   I began farting quietly but with great effect.  I soon had everyone gagging and their eyes watering.  AFter a bit of this our battalion commander had had enough and stated "Who ever is farting--if you do that again you're going out in the snow"  

Well that didn't stop me.  and frankly i couldn't have stopped if i tried.  So i kept quietly farting until eventually LTC Barth figured out it was me and sent me out into the snow where i had to sit on my stool outside the tent and make my remarks from outside in the cold thru the canvas.

so ultimately my master plan backfired :-(
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well, I'm in no position to criticize anyone who's served, but can I get a pass on my stolen valor lower now?  It is a crossdresser of sorts....

I live in a ski town, its a popular motif, LGS had a few of these made up years ago. Dont flame me bro...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/540320/IMG_20120817_101734_jpg-3116634.JPG
View Quote

The owner of the gun shop in Whitefield is a 10th Mountain vet with OIF and OEF tours.  Debating sending the pic in the OP to him.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Looks like we found the Sergeant Major!
View Quote

PO-LICE DAT MOOSTACHE!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Do you thing they will be ok with mowing down human waves of Chinese?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I showed that to a 10th Mtn vet at work. He just shrugged and said, "still better looking than the local New York girls."
View Quote
he's not wrong.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I showed that to a 10th Mtn vet at work. He just shrugged and said, "still better looking than the local New York girls."
View Quote
snowshoe chickysnack (?) still gots a mouth.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I showed that to a 10th Mtn vet at work. He just shrugged and said, “still better looking than the local New York girls.”
View Quote

Not better looking but certainly less midcappish than the Watertown and Black River herds.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's an Infantry-ma'am.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#47]
So Transgender OK
Asthma, ADHD not OK?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Back in 1990 we were doing platoon exercises out of fort Bliss, basically they gave us a grid square to practice maneuvering etc with our tanks, we came upon some soldiers and they were 10th doing desert training....they challenged our platoon, 4 tanks to a 1 on 1...our platoon sergeant sfc.Henry side fuck yeah...where? The 10th lt said here and pointed to the map.

He came back...we looked at the map...tied down our antennas, put on the exhaust deflectors(made for towing tank to tank so we wouldn't melt lenses) so no dust was kicked up, dropped into the waddis and proceeded to out maneuver them,  flank them and come up on line behind them....the 10th Lt. was pissed...said we cheated sfc.Henry said fuck you we won....we had his back,16, cocky ass tankers ready to fight  
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why isn't the 10th Mountain Division still stationed in Colorado, where it was born and where it can actually train in Mountain Warfare?

FT Drum is flat a F, they chopper out to the back 40 then hump it back into cantonment via the Antwerp Tank Trail.   Terrain better suited for a Mechanized Infantry Division, the NJARNG (HHC 3/102nd AR now 102nd Cavalry Regt) unit I was assigned to used to go there for AT "summer camp"

The nearest mountain warfare training is in Vermont, run by the ARNG.
View Quote

Mechanized work at Drum?   Pfffftttt.   Yes they have a tank range but what isn’t rock is beaver swamp.  Yes, my old tank bn used to train there but you pretty much were road bound when not on one of the handful of vehicle type ranges.

And yes, it is flat as piss on a plate and the water stays without draining off.   The only high points are the low smooth rock ledges here and there.

There was more swamp when I left that area than when the base opened as an active duty post.  The damned beavers flooded tons of acres on the north eastern side of the training area.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Let's say, for the sake of discussion, Trump wins reelection. Is he capable as POTUS to bounce the alphabet people out of the Pentagon, install people that aren't mentally ill, who in turn will bounce the trannies out of the military (or at least relegate them to latrine duty in some remote location)? Is it actually possible to make that course correction in the term of one president? Or are they so deeply dug into upper echelon positions that we'll never get rid of these jokes?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top