User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
We need pictures!
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Will do, early next week. Already headed for Mt Graham to kick around and explore for the weekend.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll see if I cant do an animation of the handle illustrating the detents and everything.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Isn't that handle supposed to be marked "Rockford Turn", so you can pull it and do quick u turns?

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/deftonesmark/media/F18Tire.gif.html
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Random gauges and parts turn up at surplus places like Skycraft in Orlando Florida.  Also there is a close stick handle  available that we bought when I was helping do TV stuff. If I remember correctly it is about  $5-600.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
So the center pedestal was bugging me. Went back and redid it. Added the lower ECS vents (though I didnt have a dimension for how far aft they extend. 1" seems to be the right ratio based on the very very few photos of that area I had.) Also reduced MDF screws by 2/3s.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Good updates. Whats the roadmap look like as far as workable panels? Is everything being done at once, or will you be focusing on one panel at a time then moving to the next one? How many interface units will be used? Will individual panels be fully modular in both software and hardware, so a builder could pick and choose what ones will be included?

I'll never do a full pit, but I have started my test build by doing a frame for the seat that I can then add panels to as needed whike keeping everything integrated.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The first thing you'll notice is that video game RADAR and actual RADAR look nothing alike, and without spending some time learning/reading, you'll be instantly lost.
View Quote
Is the DCS radar really that far even visually? I realize not everything is implemented, but I would hope they could at least have it look right (at least as far as they have it developed).
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't understand what half of the shit being talked about is in the thread....but it doesn't make it any less awesome.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good updates. Whats the roadmap look like as far as workable panels? Is everything being done at once, or will you be focusing on one panel at a time then moving to the next one? How many interface units will be used? Will individual panels be fully modular in both software and hardware, so a builder could pick and choose what ones will be included?

I'll never do a full pit, but I have started my test build by doing a frame for the seat that I can then add panels to as needed whike keeping everything integrated.
View Quote
Everything will be released at the same time. Not going to release things piecemeal as it provides too many opportunities for something to get missed and driving unexpected redesigns.

Mechanically, the panels can be used with any adequate driver solution. We will only be doing software for the full project, running panels on the RS485 bus. Any deviation will be on the builder to program the arduino sketch.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
And now have ECS Vents on the L/R AUX Consoles.

Question for pilots: When would you use the DISP switch on the left canopy sill versus the switches on the stick?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Just a render showing the latest work. Did a redesign of the center pedestal, added ECS vents, added the parking brake handle and brake pressure gauge. Added paint to all the consoles.

Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Shifted focus for the time being to the throttle. Specced out higher quality switches due to the amount of use. Found commercial spec Otto switches for 14 bucks on mouser. (Nice to see them carrying some Otto switches.) Planning on each grip to print in two pieces.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And now have ECS Vents on the L/R AUX Consoles.

Question for pilots: When would you use the DISP switch on the left canopy sill versus the switches on the stick?
View Quote
Rarely used. Maybe for gen x but throttle is primary since what you have selected to deploy gets deployed via hotas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Rarely used. Maybe for gen x but throttle is primary since what you have selected to deploy gets deployed via hotas.
View Quote
Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Been putting in some major hours on the throttle quadrant. Reworked a bunch of mechanisms, got the throttle grips done and populated with switches, and added autothrottle servos. Still working the actual mounting of it into the pit right now.

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#20]
This is the kind of thing that would make me want a full on F4U or maybe F4 Phantom II cockpit for if those ever actually get completed for DCS.

Or even just to sit in an make airplane sounds with my mouth like I used to.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is the kind of thing that would make me want a full on F4U or maybe F4 Phantom II cockpit for if those ever actually get completed for DCS.

Or even just to sit in an make airplane sounds with my mouth like I used to.
View Quote
Hell, I plan on sitting in this and making whooshing and pew-pew noises from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Throttle Quadrant is complete - redesigned the servo mounts, and made it a stand alone installation into the console - some significant redesign of the forward internal structure of the console was required. Also, redesigned the fingerlifts - they are not going to be fun to print, but unfortunately the best I can do. I MAY machine them out of aluminum just for fun.

The cover plate for the console is pretty different than the real one - this was necessary because of the build requirements of the throttle quadrant. Just no way around this without making the throttle arms more like the real one which will take a full machine shop to make.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wanted to add screen caps of the final iteration of the throttle quadrant. Work on the seat is in full swing, and really excited about what this comes out to. Unfortunately, reliable reference material has been hard to come by, so it will be "ish" at best unless some first hand sources become available.

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#24]
So seat is done. Rudder Pedals with a powered carriage for forward/aft adjustment is done (uses the MFG Crosswinds, with bolt on replacement 3D printed pedals.) Started doing the calculations for accurately capturing the force gradients and breakout forces and range of motion for the stick. Note that the FWD range of motion from neutral is half of aft. We will do a full range of motion equivalent to aft for forward, and limit it with a removable pin to allow for proper calibration and use with other aircraft.

Here is some of the data I've compiled on stick forces:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top