Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it ever explained why the Federation has such visible warp nacelles compared to other aliens? It just seems like it's a target that sticks out really easily for an enemy to shoot off.

View Quote
Concept artist Matt Jefferies:
I was concerned about the design of ship that Gene told me would have warp drive. I thought, 'What the hell is warp drive?' But I gathered that this ship had to have powerful engines  extremely powerful. To me, that meant that they had to be designed away from the body. Boy, I tried a lot of ideas. I wanted to stay away from the flying saucer shape. The ball or sphere, as you'll see in some of the sketches, was my idea, but I ended up with the saucer after all. Gene would come in to look over what I was doing and say, 'I don't like this,' or, 'This looks good.' If Gene liked it, he'd ask the boss [Herbert Solow] and if the boss liked it, then I'd work on that idea for a while.
For the hull, I didn't really want a saucer because of the term flying saucer and the best pressure vessel of course is a ball, so I started playing with that. But the bulk got in the way and the ball just didn't work. I flattened it out and I guess we wound up with a saucer! I did it in color on a black matt board, and by the time I finished I thought we really had something.

"Finalized" design
Attachment Attached File

Saucer - engineering hull - paired nacelles set the design aesthetic for Starfleet and the Enterprise in particular.  It's visual shorthand.  

Don't get too hung up on any of the "rules" of design in Star Trek, the shows have broken them many, many times, for convenience, for spite, on a whim...

Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Faster than light travel is such an important thing in so many science fiction settings. But I can't help but feel that the first few serious experiments to try to exceed the speed of causality will either wind up looking like something out of Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, or Event Horizon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to know the ages of people voting. I wonder if people who voted original grew up in the 60's or 70's, those who voted refit grew up in the 80's like me, and those who voted D or E grew up with TNG.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Meh……..I’ll take the USS DEFIANT

View Quote

I’m not the only one then. Always like the lines on the Defiant
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Nebula and Akira. Excelsior was cool in a '57 Chevy in space kind of way, too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Second from the bottom is the E aka the next generation movies Enterprise.

The bottom one is the reboot Enterprise from the 2009 movie
View Quote

Ok i stand corrected E then.   I disnt see the writing in the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Do they really need the external lights showing the number etc?
Who's that for?
Turn off the lights, save energy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The one that Kirk used when he was getting green pootang.

Picard was the Joe Biden of startship captains

Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd like to know the ages of people voting. I wonder if people who voted original grew up in the 60's or 70's, those who voted refit grew up in the 80's like me, and those who voted D or E grew up with TNG.
View Quote

I voted for the refit, and I still remember waiting for the new TOS episode each week.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was 12 when TNG premiered. I remember watching the first episode very vividly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was 12 when TNG premiered. I remember watching the first episode very vividly.
View Quote

Same.  Remember how stiff the cast was? Lol
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll always be partial to the original. The refit was pretty cool though.

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

It's been years but I think I remember Jonathan Frakes saying something about how it was those godawful uniforms. They'd pull on you constantly and would literally give you back pain after a while.

Original Series and Enterprise prequel crews got the best uniforms from the perspective of someone using them. TOS uniforms were velour and all-day comfortable, and so were Enterprise blue flight suits. Everyone else on the other series got a shit sandwich with those 24th century Starfleet uniforms.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's been years but I think I remember Jonathan Frakes saying something about how it was those godawful uniforms. They'd pull on you constantly and would literally give you back pain after a while.
View Quote

That was with the jump suits when they first started. They switched to the two piece outfits, and that led to having to pull the top down to straighten it when getting up from a chair. He said they called it The Picard Maneuver.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203964/USS_Enterprise-A_quarter_jpg-2144370.JPG

The Enterprise refit is the most beautiful starship in the star trek universe, with the Miranda class a close second...
View Quote

Agreed.  Did you know the bridges of the Enterprise and Reliant were almost identical, but the Captain's chair on Reliant was covered in rich, Corinthian leather?
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for my ignorance, but what class of ship is this, with 3 nacelles?

I’m a SW nerd, not ST, but I love that ship. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Doesn’t matter. Any design with the engines on stalks is going to go in circles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#19]
No love for the NX series refits?  This was supposed to be introduced in season 5 but the series was cancelled.  Damned shame. Loved Enterprise almost as much as TOS. I'm in season 4 of DS9 currently but not as good as Enterprise.

Star Trek Online - NX Class Refit! First look!
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’m a SW nerd, not ST, but I love that ship. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284805/29B3F970-B3ED-4A43-9523-1BDCA0E7D7AF_jpe-2144967.JPG
View Quote

Final episode of TNG had it as an alternate timeline Enterprise - cloaking, warp 13, big-ass laser, judgement-free holodeck, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm a SW nerd, not ST, but I love that ship. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284805/29B3F970-B3ED-4A43-9523-1BDCA0E7D7AF_jpe-2144967.JPG
View Quote

Future ship, in the last TNG episode.

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Warp_nacelle

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/All_Good_Things...

Edit - Beat by five seconds.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Enterprise E is the sexiest Enterprise followed closely by Refit 1701.
Defiant was baddest ass ship because it was Benjamin Sisko's pimp hand, who gave no fucks about as much as Kirk, I mean the mother fucker was an accomplice to killing a Romulan Senator and ended up given no fucks.
Except for that 1 episode where they had to bring racism in.
24th century, most records were probably destroyed by the third world war, but somehow Ben Sisko knew blacks were oppressed in the 1940s-50s.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Original Series and Enterprise prequel crews got the best uniforms from the perspective of someone using them. TOS uniforms were velour and all-day comfortable, and so were Enterprise blue flight suits. Everyone else on the other series got a shit sandwich with those 24th century Starfleet uniforms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember thinking that they were afraid to "fuck it up", it's a lot of responsibility to start a new chapter in a beloved series..  but shitty uniforms make better sense
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah took two whole seasons to get into a stride, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Defiant was baddest ass ship because it was Benjamin Sisko's pimp hand, who gave no fucks about as much as Kirk, I mean the mother fucker was an accomplice to killing a Romulan Senator and ended up given no fucks.
24th century, most records were probably destroyed by the third world war, but somehow Ben Sisko knew blacks were oppressed in the 1940s-50s.
View Quote

Sisko also massacred innocents to make a point. He was the most bad ass ST Captain.

This is why Sisko is the most badass captain

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sisko also massacred innocents to make a point. He was the most bad ass ST Captain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io

Forgot about that one. Gene Roddenberry rolled over in his grave.
Grew up on TNG, but Picard was a bitch compared to Sisko.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Enterprise in Wrath of Kahn and Enterprise D are the two best.

They fucked up killing off the D in the first movie.  I never gave a shit about the E.  The D was the one we'd grown to love over seven years.  E was just a ship.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the seasons of TNG with the strip around the upper part of the uniform they said were the worse. The later years weren't as bad. I think they also said that is how the Picard Tuck got started.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They fucked up killing off the D in the first movie.  I never gave a shit about the E.  The D was the one we'd grown to love over seven years.  E was just a ship.
View Quote

That seemed like a very odd narrative decision to me. Especially the way it went out. Sucker punched by an outdated Klingon warbird. Did that crew really need a new ship that was much more militarized?

The critical drinker did a review of Star Trek Beyond a little while ago where he brought that up. "You wouldn't think it was possible to emasculate a starship, yet..."
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That seemed like a very odd narrative decision to me. Especially the way it went out. Sucker punched by an outdated Klingon warbird. Did that crew really need a new ship that was much more militarized?

The critical drinker did a review of Star Trek Beyond a little while ago where he brought that up. "You wouldn't think it was possible to emasculate a starship, yet..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I never understood the reason for killing the "D" like a bitch. Although the only good TNG movie was first contact. The only thing I could think of was DS:9 at the time was getting into the dominion war and Ben Sisko's pimp hand was a warship. Maybe they thought they had to keep up even though the dominion war never played any part of the TNG movies out side of Picard getting pissed in 1 of them that they were ordered to put out one more brush fire.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The canon reason is that it has to do with how Cochrane designed his warp drive system. Something about they have to be in a certain position, must be symmetrical, there must be 2 of them and there must be empty space between the nacelles.

Clearly lots of other races didn't give a shit about those rules. You see the Vulcan ship compared to Cochrane's ship in First Contact. There's not much similarity there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it ever explained why the Federation has such visible warp nacelles compared to other aliens? It just seems like it's a target that sticks out really easily for an enemy to shoot off.

The canon reason is that it has to do with how Cochrane designed his warp drive system. Something about they have to be in a certain position, must be symmetrical, there must be 2 of them and there must be empty space between the nacelles.

Clearly lots of other races didn't give a shit about those rules. You see the Vulcan ship compared to Cochrane's ship in First Contact. There's not much similarity there.

According to the tech manual for 1701-D, anything between the warp nacelles would be vaporized when they're activated. They kinda screwed that up with Riker's ship from the future, but I suppose maybe they figured a way around that with future tech.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No love for the NX series refits?  This was supposed to be introduced in season 5 but the series was cancelled.  Damned shame. Loved Enterprise almost as much as TOS. I'm in season 4 of DS9 currently but not as good as Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfzVhjnTfg
View Quote

Nope, no love for it at all.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yea I never understood the reason for killing the "D" like a bitch. Although the only good TNG movie was first contact. The only thing I could think of was DS:9 at the time was getting into the dominion war and Ben Sisko's pimp hand was a warship. Maybe they thought they had to keep up even though the dominion war never played any part of the TNG movies out side of Picard getting pissed in 1 of them that they were ordered to put out one more brush fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it would look cool, apparently that's as deep as the thinking went: Link

The idea for destroying the Enterprise-D in Star Trek Generations came from artwork in the Star Trek: The Next Generation Writer's Technical Manual showing the separated saucer section making an emergency crash landing onto a planet. TNG's producers actually wanted to show this at the end of season 6, but it was prohibitively expensive on the TV show's budget. Producers Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga, who co-wrote Generations, pitched the idea of the saucer crash landing and destroying the Enterprise-D to executive producer Rick Berman, who gave it a green light. The TNG brain trust also agreed that it created an opportunity to introduce a new Enterprise in the next movie, which is what happened: the Sovereign-class U.S.S. Enterprise-E made its debut in Star Trek: First Contact (and it's still in service in Star Trek: Picard's era over 20 years later).

Yeah, that was a bullshit "death".  Worse than Tasha Yar's.  IIRC they intended to give the Duras sisters a new kickass ship worthy of killing the D, but they ran out of money partway through production and were ordered to reuse effects from a previous movie, and the only thing that fit was General Chang's bird of prey getting exploded in Undiscovered Country.  That sequence ripped me right out of the movie and destroyed whatever warm fuzzies I felt for it.

Involving the Duras sisters at all was a mistake, they bordered on comic relief in TNG.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

That's pretty cool!  Wish a season 5 would've happened.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because it would look cool, apparently that's as deep as the thinking went: Link

The idea for destroying the Enterprise-D in Star Trek Generations came from artwork in the Star Trek: The Next Generation Writer's Technical Manual showing the separated saucer section making an emergency crash landing onto a planet. TNG's producers actually wanted to show this at the end of season 6, but it was prohibitively expensive on the TV show's budget. Producers Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga, who co-wrote Generations, pitched the idea of the saucer crash landing and destroying the Enterprise-D to executive producer Rick Berman, who gave it a green light. The TNG brain trust also agreed that it created an opportunity to introduce a new Enterprise in the next movie, which is what happened: the Sovereign-class U.S.S. Enterprise-E made its debut in Star Trek: First Contact (and it's still in service in Star Trek: Picard's era over 20 years later).

Yeah, that was a bullshit "death".  Worse than Tasha Yar's.  IIRC they intended to give the Duras sisters a new kickass ship worthy of killing the D, but they ran out of money partway through production and were ordered to reuse effects from a previous movie, and the only thing that fit was General Chang's bird of prey getting exploded in Undiscovered Country.  That sequence ripped me right out of the movie and destroyed whatever warm fuzzies I felt for it.

Involving the Duras sisters at all was a mistake, they bordered on comic relief in TNG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man that is bullshit.
Yea that Klingon ship destruction has been used in everything, even at least the ending battle of DS9, which was lame as fuck reusing footage for that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I voted Refit, but the TOS ship didn't look bad.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#40]
My favorite is the Andrew Probert design for the NCC-1701C.

E is second, Refit is third.

ETA: Probert finalized the design for the Refit for ST:TMP. He also designed the D and during the design, he felt he needed to justify the radical departure of the D from the Refit by assembling the Enterprise lineage. So he assumed the B would be an Excelsior class and the C would bridge the gap between Excelsior and the Galaxy class.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Those are 2 design aesthetics that do not play well together.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Jesus fuck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#43]
NX class brings the hoes and stacks em deep yo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Excelsior Refit, USS Lakota.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Those three posted are ugly. (Model, and the two pics after it).
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Final episode of TNG had it as an alternate timeline Enterprise - cloaking, warp 13, big-ass laser, judgement-free holodeck, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m a SW nerd, not ST, but I love that ship. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284805/29B3F970-B3ED-4A43-9523-1BDCA0E7D7AF_jpe-2144967.JPG

The Enterprise Dreadnought with its Klingon-killing megaphaser.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alternate timeline Galaxy class. That's the Enterprise commanded by Admiral Riker.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

My nerd boner is starting to show, but I remember seeing Generations in theaters, bigger budget, cleaner SFX.. this scene gave me chills (best quality I could find in a quick search) -

Star Trek Generations: "Helm warp one engage!" ( With enhanced Warp Sound Effect )

That at the end of the movie when the Klingon Bird of Prey exploded... (Me) "WHAT! That's the same effect used in the previous movie!" Hadn't heard about the budget part, makes sense.

And yes, First Contact is the best 'Trek movie. Surprisingly I didn't mind the JJ Abrams reboots too much, I think mostly because the casting was near perfect. I wish DS9 had gotten a movie of their own.

ETA: The part about the Duras sisters getting a kick-ass ship would explain the bullshit Reman Scimitar warship in Nemesis. A massive warbird built in secret with a MacGuffin of a bioweapon and able to fire while cloaked... stealing from Star Trek VI this time.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top