BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Luckily, "69" will not be a thing for much longer, due to Americans turning into total fatasses.

"00" will be the new "69".

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We live on a rural road with the unfortunate designation of 69th St. It seems like we are doomed to not have a street sign. Every single one has been stolen. We have tried variations of the sign in "Sixty Ninth Street" and "Six Nine Street" and they still get taken.

The road is private so there is no assistance from the county on this. Every sign has come out of residents' pockets. The last one I thought would be good go to. I mounted the sign with a wide bracket and used two carriage bolts to secure the bracket to the post. I had planned to put up a trail cam pointed at the sign, barring permission of the people on the next road up who owned the adjoining property, but thought I had a few days to take care of it. Nope, within a week the sign had been stolen again. Someone used a crow bar to snap the mounting ears off of the bracket to take the sign.

Currently the sign post is a PT 4x4 but at one point it was a steel post. Some tweaker came along in the middle of the night with a portable sawzall and cut off the top of the post just below the sign mount. Then shortly after a logging truck clearing a new property down the road took the entire post out. It didn't seem like having a steel post was a guarantee so I didn't bother putting another one in.

Aside from having a trail cam, we're out of ideas. One of our neighbors who is an EE even floated the idea of building a hidden solar powered battery box with an electric fence controller to electrify the sign. Sounds great, but probably would end up in some dumb teenager's parents suing us.
View Quote

There is a road down here named “Vaglica”, I’m sure it’s been stolen a few thousand times.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe try a plywood sign . You could make yourself and just rehang as necessary
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gay, MI.
View Quote

I lived on Gay St SE for a year.  I don't remember it ever getting stolen - even by butt pirates.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get big boulder delivered to end of street.  

Paint 69th street on it.
View Quote

I hate to say it but when the "variations" came out it might be the same people.....they see the sign and go.....OOOOOHHHHHHHH that one is different....add to the collection.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I grew up on a section of US Hwy 69 just outside a college town.  The signs were always stolen
View Quote
Ames?  I know of a few people that have the signs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Square root of 4761 written mathematically.
View Quote

3rd 23rd St.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The Washington state DOT has changed their mile markers on the highways from 69 to 68.9 lol.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Get some drilling pipe.  Sink it in the earth and concrete it in them fill it with concrete.  Paint the top green the spell vertically.

S
t.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Change it to 87st.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get an old telephone pole, mount it out of reach . It is the only way they stopped stealing the "Butts Rd " signs around here
View Quote
@wisbiker67 if its the Butts Rd I'm thinking of the first time I ever shot a real gun and rode a 3 wheeler was on that property about 35 years ago.
If it's the same road he owned a pretty good chunk around Clark lake and when he died people came out of the woodwork wanting a piece of it. I'm pretty sure most of it is now in a conservancy of some sort.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Tennessee had to change Copperhead Road to Copperhead Hollow Road after the song came out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get big boulder delivered to end of street.  

Paint 69th street on it.
View Quote

That's what the folks on knee deep road did.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I’d just like to add that I would absolutely be one of the guys stealing a 69 sign.

Now I want to drive out and find one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A big boulder will probably violate what are called “clear zone” rules. Basically there’s a distance from the edge of roadway (varies with design speed) where you can’t / shouldn’t place objects that would be an undue hazard to wayward vehicles.

“But GimpyPaw, I see boulders and trees right next to the road all the time!”

Yes, you do. There can be a lot of reasons for why clear zone standards aren’t being met. Usually it’s because somebody who doesn’t know or care about the standards placed the object there. The city/county/state might not know about it, or haven’t gotten around to addressing it yet.

What’s important is that lawyers know about clear zones. If you go dropping a big rock that ends up wiping out a car that slid off the road, you can bet there’s a lawyer who will chase that ambulance.

But you do you. Life’s all about risks and rewards.
View Quote

Here's my hall pass.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Dated a chick that lived on Madonna Way. Their signs were stolen monthly
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was thinking get some of that stuff that looks like cardboard but is made out of plastic and use a permanent marker, but same diff. Just make it so cheap and shitty looking that nobody will want it. Nail it to a tree.
View Quote

Half sheet of weathered plywood with spray painted number.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#20]
put copper anti seize on it
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Put some sort of grease of them that is insanely hard to get off.
View Quote

Coat it in silver antiseize paste
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Named after a MoH winner.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Overwatch.  Apply high-velocity sleeping lead as needed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Iodine crystals and strong ammonia.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Put some sort of grease of them that is insanely hard to get off.
View Quote

That bird repellent shit that burns them when they land on it. Similar to grease but with extra spice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Try variations of the spelling again

60 Nein St
Sicks T 9 St
6 Teenine St

If it keeps getting stolen you will know someone is fucking with you.  Set up a quality surveillance, air tag the sign, and have them charged plus sue the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was a kid I had a buddy who took signs all the time. He has some good ones but Bald Knob Rd was probably the best.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@wisbiker67 if its the Butts Rd I'm thinking of the first time I ever shot a real gun and rode a 3 wheeler was on that property about 35 years ago.
If it's the same road he owned a pretty good chunk around Clark lake and when he died people came out of the woodwork wanting a piece of it. I'm pretty sure most of it is now in a conservancy of some sort.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get an old telephone pole, mount it out of reach . It is the only way they stopped stealing the "Butts Rd " signs around here

This one is in Green county Wisconsin
@mpatch
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I lived on Gay St SE for a year.  I don't remember it ever getting stolen - even by butt pirates.
View Quote
Could have been worse
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#30]
There used to be a sign on I-81 near Salem, VA that said "Butt Hollow Road".  I guess it kept getting stolen because it's no longer there and hasn't been there for a long time now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Have a Hells Swamp Branch Rd nearby.  City finally changed the sign to Halls Branch Rd.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Rename the street to 68A.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Change street name to "little PP"
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Try living in Hell Michigan LOL

I don't know why they bother putting a sign up
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Seantx
420 69th St
Queef, TX
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#38]
A concrete 4x4 installed 15-20 feet up with some sort of tamper proof hardware and barbed wire around the top of the sign and pole would certainly make it challenging.  Also take pictures of the sign and do a police report every time it is stolen. You may find the right meth billy can hit felony level of crime.. Every street sign within 3 miles of my house was stolen last year. All in one weekend .
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Better than Blue Balls, PA
View Quote

It's Blue Ball. I grew up there. Went to Blue Ball Elementary.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Apparently our street sign is some sort of drug reference and was stolen very frequently.

The wife knew one of the street sign guys and mentioned it to him. The next time it was stolen the sign crew cut the original metal sign post down to about 8" and mounted a new full length metal sign pole to it and bent the bolts once they had it tightened down.

The new street sign is now about 10-11' tall and would require a ladder to steal. It's been there well over a decade. The ones before it was raised would last a year or two at most.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top