Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2021 1:19:18 PM EDT
So it's time for password changes...  I do not want to use a password manager....  I prefer to keep an updated list on an encrypted drive.  That said, in doing some research it seems like instead of a combination of letters and characters—which are usually much harder to remember—if one were to use a long string of words that actually makes sense (and would be easier to remember) the password is much harder to crack based simply on the total number of characters involved.

For example, on Kaspersky's password strength checker HERE I get the following results...

%#Arfcom35  shows as broken by brute force attacks using the average home computer in two months.

Whereas...

iwillnotletthepenguinbanme  would require 10,000 centuries from the average home computer.

For those of you that have much more knowledge on password strength than I do (everybody)...  Is my line of thinking correct?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
CPE 1704 TKS
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
So 1234567 or abcdefg are both out?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Don’t be a tit. Use a password manager. This is a far more extensible and useable solution than a list on an encrypted drive. Use Keepass and make it portable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

and password?

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Problem is that many of websites I access with passwords all want something a little different...some combination of capital letters, lower case letters, numbers, special characters (but sometimes only certain ones), some minimum number of characters...and I can't use the same password everywhere.

But yes, I believe the word strings are supposed to be very secure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
They told us for a long time to do this: AgrWGF#$^%3452 and this was a "strong" password.

Turned out "ilikehorsechicks" is the stronger

Passphrases are a thing.

Shit, Microsoft is now saying set a passphrase, turn on 2FA and never change your password again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Longer is better.  All those extra characters are really only good on shorter passwords.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Is why
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

what about 1234567abcdefg?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Problem is that many of websites I access with passwords all want something a little different...some combination of capital letters, lower case letters, numbers, special characters (but sometimes only certain ones), some minimum number of characters...and I can't use the same password everywhere.

But yes, I believe the word strings are supposed to be very secure.
View Quote

Good, its completely fucking stupid to do that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
all my passwords are at least 256 characters...for my online banking it's 512 characters.

This is all stored on an air gapped jump drive that is stored in an old microwave at all times.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
How did you get the combination for my luggage?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Most password rules with symbols, etc... are dumb.... nobody can remember them, so you write them down or use a password manager (what i do).

Obligatory xkd comic.... (edit - beat!)

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Rainbow tables are a thing with no salt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I am not big brained but one of our IT guys said that a lot of new systems allow a space so a written sentence is a strong password.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Short answer is mostly. Raw math wise yes, but it also has to do with how common a phrase is and if it's been broken already something like ireallydislikeclinton isn't near as strong in reality as something the same length but random with a number or special character thrown in.

If you're already using a fake manager just generate a GUID, delete 5 characters, add 4 special characters at random and call it good.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anybody posted the XKCD comic on this yet?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#22]
All my passwords are correcthorsebatterystaple now.

I see that I was not the first one to remember XKCD...  
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes. If you want to make it orders of magnitude harder, misspell one of those words.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#24]
FuckyoudicksuckingObama44 was my password for a long time
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

and password?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and password?

Using Password as your password must be very good because so many people use it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So it's time for password changes...  I do not want to use a password manager....  I prefer to keep an updated list on an encrypted drive.  That said, in doing some research it seems like instead of a combination of letters and characters—which are usually much harder to remember—if one were to use a long string of words that actually makes sense (and would be easier to remember) the password is much harder to crack based simply on the total number of characters involved.

For example, on Kaspersky's password strength checker HERE I get the following results...

%#Arfcom35  shows as broken by brute force attacks using the average home computer in two months.

Whereas...

iwillnotletthepenguinbanme  would require 10,000 centuries from the average home computer.

For those of you that have much more knowledge on password strength than I do (everybody)...  Is my line of thinking correct?
View Quote

Sort of, but the strength of the second password depends on the sophistication of dictionary attacks.  It's better to use unrelated words than natural language word sequences.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Substitute a few letters with numbers like 1 instead of i and add some upper case and substitute a $ for an s and you'll be more secure.

Basically length wins, but taking it from 26 characters per slot as optional to 72 also increases the  strength.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I work in IT, and I always recommend passphrases or short sentences instead of the old My$ecretP@55word stuff.

I'd piss on a spark plug!

It's 25 characters long, you have uppercase, lowercase, and special characters.  And it's dead simple to remember.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have been superceded by QWERTY and Pa$$w0rd.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#30]
CRM 114 OPE
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#31]
The best password is one that is long and you don't reuse. Not reusing is really the key.

Yes, someone can dictionary attack your phrase... but virtually no one is doing that. Almost all "hacks" are because you made your password maga2020 or because you sent someone a password in an email or because you reused a password one a site that has clown shoes security and was breached.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, I try to change them every couple of months. And it doesn't negate the fact that you still have to remember multiple passwords that you're supposed to be changing frequently anyway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I work in IT, and I always recommend passphrases or short sentences instead of the old My$ecretP@55word stuff.

I'd piss on a spark plug!

It's 25 characters long, you have uppercase, lowercase, and special characters.  And it's dead simple to remember.
View Quote

I like this since it addressees most of my complaint above. Change "a" to "1" and it seems to cover all the bases.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Meh, I try to change them every couple of months. And it doesn't negate the fact that you still have to remember multiple passwords that you're supposed to be changing frequently anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a password manager. Remember one strong password. Have it create and store passwords for you for each individual website.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#35]
lol, I knew at least 3 people would post "correct horse battery staple".

OP, the only thing that really matters is length. 14 characters or longer and you'll be fine. Thieves tend to be an impatient lot, they'll take the stuff they can get quickly and leave the stuff it would take weeks or months to get. Idiots requiring special characters or a mix of characters, letters and numbers are what makes this annoying.

Well, at least until quantum computing is a thing, then no one's password will be safe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I work in IT, too.  And I think this whole discussion is a waste of LOTS of peoples time caused by laziness and incompetence in IT departments.  Logging and Multi Factor Authentication are the answer to this.  You should be able to use whatever stupid/short/simple password you want to use because the thing you authenticating to requires multiple types of authentication that are convenient for the user.   And failed login attempts are logged and responded to quickly and effectively.

The people that spend their days implementing technology are the ones that should be required to implement effective security measures because they have and use the skills to do so -- presumably.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#37]
NSA doesn't use the "Average Home Computer".
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

and password?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and password?

Don't be a noob!

P@$$W0&d8910
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#39]
If every damn thing locks your account after 3 tries what exactly does it matter?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#40]
It's NOT the strength of Your password but the security of the site that you use it on that is the Real problem.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Most password rules with symbols, etc... are dumb.... nobody can remember them, so you write them down or use a password manager (what i do).

Obligatory xkd comic.... (edit - beat!)

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png
View Quote

In a world where most people have shorter, randomized passwords this definitely holds true.  If you know that the person uses a system like this then you can discount the non-letter characters from a crack and just use a dictionary attack which reduces the problem space.

I would suggest that the best answer is "get both" and have several words with non-letters involved as well.  Although your best bet at this point (IMHO) is long strings of random characters through a password manager and the use of two-factor authentication whenever possible.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I use whatever combination is on my luggage.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes. If you want to make it orders of magnitude harder, misspell one of those words.
View Quote

This is GD, that happins without saying
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's NOT the strength of Your password but the security of the site that you use it on that is the Real problem.
View Quote

And if you are recycling passwords then that broken one can get used on your other systems.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I use ascii characters , metric and mirrored...........
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
all my passwords are at least 256 characters...for my online banking it's 512 characters.

This is all stored on an air gapped jump drive that is stored in an old microwave at all times.
View Quote

on a volcanic island that can only be accessed by helicopter?  

In general, longer passwords are harder to crack than shorter ones, even if the shorter ones are more complex or have more non-alphanumeric characters.

I did run into a weird issue a while back. I generated a password for my credit union account and used 16 characters. The CU site accepted the password and all was good. Then I found that when I attempted to log in using the password, it would fail. Then on the retry login screen, it would work. I could literally copypasta the password and it would fail the first time then work on the retry. It baffled me, so I dug around.

It turns out that the site would only allow 12 characters, and wasn't set up to warn or reject a password that was longer. So it accepted the first 12 characters of my password. The login screen would attempt to parse the whole thing and would fail, but the retry screen, for some reason, would only take the first 12 characters, even if I pasted the whole 16 character string into the field.

After some digging around on their site, I found the documentation mentioning that the password could be up to 12 characters. To test, I copied only the first 12 characters of my password and it worked... so I just updated it in my password keeper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#47]
And on the 8th day, the Lord declareth:

Thou shalt use Reset Password in order to access anything of importance.
And though you might keep a log of passwords, yea, I shall maketh them to expire.
And so shall thee rely on prayers and offerings to thine primary email address. Amen.

-2 Internettians 5:7
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In general, longer passwords are harder to crack than shorter ones, even if the shorter ones are more complex or have more non-alphanumeric characters.

I did run into a weird issue a while back. I generated a password for my credit union account and used 16 characters. The CU site accepted the password and all was good. Then I found that when I attempted to log in using the password, it would fail. Then on the retry login screen, it would work. I could literally copypasta the password and it would fail the first time then work on the retry. It baffled me, so I dug around.

It turns out that the site would only allow 12 characters, and wasn't set up to warn or reject a password that was longer. So it accepted the first 12 characters of my password. The login screen would attempt to parse the whole thing and would fail, but the retry screen, for some reason, would only take the first 12 characters, even if I pasted the whole 16 character string into the field.

After some digging around on their site, I found the documentation mentioning that the password could be up to 12 characters. To test, I copied only the first 12 characters of my password and it worked... so I just updated it in my password keeper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't understand why a site, especially a bank would use such a terrible data validation or hash.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#49]
A lot of password fields are limited to something like 8 characters.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I work in IT, too.  And I think this whole discussion is a waste of LOTS of peoples time caused by laziness and incompetence in IT departments.  Logging and Multi Factor Authentication are the answer to this.  You should be able to use whatever stupid/short/simple password you want to use because the thing you authenticating to requires multiple types of authentication that are convenient for the user.   And failed login attempts are logged and responded to quickly and effectively.

The people that spend their days implementing technology are the ones that should be required to implement effective security measures because they have and use the skills to do so -- presumably.

View Quote

2nd vote for MFA to solve the issue
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top