Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/26/2018 9:33:59 AM EDT
Physicists Think They've Spotted the Ghosts of Black Holes from Another Universe

We are not living in the first universe. There were other universes, in other eons, before ours, a group of physicists has said. Like ours, these universes were full of black holes. And we can detect traces of those long-dead black holes in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) — the radiation that is a remnant of our universe's violent birth.
"If the universe goes on and on and the black holes gobble up everything, at a certain point, we're only going to have black holes," he told Live Science. According to Hawking's most famous theory,  black holes slowly lose some of their mass and energy over time through radiation of massless particles called gravitons and photons.
At that point, some physicists (including Penrose) argue, the vast, empty, post-black-hole universe starts to resemble the ultra-compressed universe at the moment of the big bang, where there's no time or distance between anything.

"And then it starts all over again," An said.
View Quote
Maybe it is the same universe, with a first floor and a second floor and black holes are like elevator of sorts with a slow motion down button only, once they take everything down to the first floor and express elevator shoots it all back up to the second floor with a big bang and a whole new layout.

Or black holes are like PacMan gobbling everything up until there is nothing left and the big bang is like resetting the video game and we are just part of some higher beings private arcade.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Black holes, the universe's trash dumps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Imagine how much more we know about our planet and universe today than 1,000 years ago. Now try to grasp how much more humans will know 1,000 years from now. It's exciting and depressing all at the same time.

Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#3]
IN!
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Imagine how much more we know about our planet and universe today than 1,000 years ago. Now try to grasp how much more humans will know 1,000 years from now. It's exciting and depressing all at the same time.

View Quote
We are the future’s Stone Age cavemen.

We may assemble our own freestanding caves and our technological stone of choice is silica, but cavemen we will be.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Roger is still alive? Wow. Haven't read his stuff in years. Must be me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Or black holes are like PacMan gobbling everything up until there is nothing left and the big bang is like resetting the video game and we are just part of some higher beings private arcade.  
View Quote
This is some times referred to as "the gang  bang theory".
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#8]
It's so funny when they say shit like this without any real scientific evidence to support the theories.  Fun to read, but so full of holes (not black ones). Part of this one is also akin to reincarnation of the universe.

As one of the leading experts has said in a physics.org article, "The Big Bang singularity is the most serious problem of general relativity because the laws of physics appear to break down there."

There is also the recognized problem of scientists throwing out theories because they have a strong desire and interest in publishing "new science" that disrupts existing thinking. That's one of the reasons that they will latch onto any bit of math that can be used to theoretically "potentially" support the oddball ideas. And, it's all guesswork so if you can get a few scientists to say that you might be right, you win - in publishing, research funding, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
People think alternate universes don't be like they is, but they do.

Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
New "discoveries" = job security.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We understand enough about science and physics and the universe and such to have made religions basically obsolete. There's no need for magical sky people to make things happen, we understand the mechanics and processes behind it all now.

I think 20 years from now the discoveries will be so amazing that you wouldn't be able to guess at one right now.

Proof: The phone in my hand right now was just straight up impossible 20 years ago. It contains or has access to the entire sum of human knowledge. It has more processing power than existed on the entire world up until the early 90s. I can hold it in my hand.

Think about that for a minute.

View Quote
Until science can answer "why", not just "what" and " how", religion will continue to exist.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's so funny when they say shit like this without any real scientific evidence to support the theories.  Fun to read, but so full of holes (not black ones). Part of this one is also akin to reincarnation of the universe.

As one of the leading experts has said in a physics.org article, "The Big Bang singularity is the most serious problem of general relativity because the laws of physics appear to break down there."

There is also the recognized problem of scientists throwing out theories because they have a strong desire and interest in publishing "new science" that disrupts existing thinking. That's one of the reasons that they will latch onto any bit of math that can be used to theoretically "potentially" support the oddball ideas. And, it's all guesswork so if you can get a few scientists to say that you might be right, you win - in publishing, research funding, etc.
View Quote
So it's probably a good thing GR only seeks to explain what happened after the big bang.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Until science can answer "why", not just "what" and " how", religion will continue to exist.
View Quote
For weak willed and mentally feeble, sure.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Well of course they have.

Now prove it bitches.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your statement presumes the universe needs to have a purpose given to it.  I reject that premise, as the universe needs not have any purpose other that that I give it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's part of why I said "basically obsolete"

There will always be people that feel the need to hand control of their lives over to some sort of higher power, imaginary or not.

One of the biggest things about religion though, especially the primitive ones on up until the origins of modern Abrahamic ones was trying to explain the (at that time, anyway) unexplainable.

We've now managed to actually figure out what's going on with all of that, how it happened...and in many cases why it happens. Not everything though, but give it time.
View Quote
You need look no further than the supporters of the Democrat party.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
The interesting an still unrealized result that remains yet unanswered is what will humanity do with itself once God is dis-proven and a myth?

I do believe THAT will be the last days of the human race.

You think the left gets unhinged when you prove their sacred cows get gored, you ain't seen nothing until you challenge ones sky god's superiority or existence.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We understand enough about science and physics and the universe and such to have made religions basically obsolete. There's no need for magical sky people to make things happen, we understand the mechanics and processes behind it all now.

I think 20 years from now the discoveries will be so amazing that you wouldn't be able to guess at one right now.

Proof: The phone in my hand right now was just straight up impossible 20 years ago. It contains or has access to the entire sum of human knowledge. It has more processing power than existed on the entire world up until the early 90s. I can hold it in my hand.

View Quote
and yet still most people are morons.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
But where are my sex robots
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So it's probably a good thing GR only seeks to explain what happened after the big bang.
View Quote
Hence string theory
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
So true. We can't describe light without using 2 different theories. Yes we can do quite a lot with that working view of light but ultimately both theories are wrong and we don't know what light really is.

So we dont have a consistent and accurate description of one of the most fundamental parts of the universe. I am not saying that QED isn't incredibly useful, same goes for general relativity... but neither are consistent or universal.

Why not figure that one out before trying to guess at the grand nature of everything....
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
It depends, mankind seems hell bent on going backwards, elevating weak and suppressing the strong, trading higher education for useless knowledge, perverting our history leaving us no solid foundation to build upon etc... a 1000 years from now might look more like a 1000 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#26]
No shit.  This just reinforces my theory which i posted here before.

In the beginning there was only dark matter.  Then the dark matter was sublimated into matter in an event we have called the big bang.  Black holes suck in matter and depose it into dark matter and eject it out, eventually deposing all matter back to dark.  And then the sublimation happens again, an endless cycle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Wobblin-Goblin: Imagine how much more we know about our planet and universe today than 1,000 years ago. Now try to grasp how much more humans will know 1,000 years from now. It's exciting and depressing all at the same time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Wobblin-Goblin: Imagine how much more we know about our planet and universe today than 1,000 years ago. Now try to grasp how much more humans will know 1,000 years from now. It's exciting and depressing all at the same time.

Good thing the most historically innovative nation-states are pursuing moral, sustainable, high-iq promoting, peaceful, society improving, fact base immigration policies.

Socio: Maybe it is the same universe, with a first floor and a second floor and black holes are like elevator of sorts with a slow motion down button only, once they take everything down to the first floor and express elevator shoots it all back up to the second floor with a big bang and a whole new layout.
That is a pretty neat idea.

TescoVee: Your statement presumes the universe needs to have a purpose given to it.  I reject that premise, as the universe needs not have any purpose other that that I give it.

Recusance:The interesting an still unrealized result that remains yet unanswered is what will humanity do with itself once God is dis-proven and a myth?
You think the left gets unhinged when you prove their sacred cows get gored, you ain't seen nothing until you challenge ones sky god's superiority or existence.

Human species*
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The interesting an still unrealized result that remains yet unanswered is what will humanity do with itself once God is dis-proven and a myth?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's impossible to disprove God.

No matter what evidence is presented, a large portion of the population will reject it.  Look at the huge number of young earth creationists for proof of this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]
What was he smoking and where can I get some?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#31]
All matter compressed into very small space. It explodes and expands (Big Bang) until it is all gathered back up into black holes and recompressed into very small space, then it explodes and expands? Soooo...we're part of the fuel in a recycling perpetual motion engine powering some machine in a much larger universe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Sure they did.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Just a pin point of space has revealed many other entire galaxies.

There are other universes way way out in the distance.

Think of it as our entire know universe is but a grain of sand on the beach
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sometimes what we "know" isn't correct after all. I'll keep my faith in the Lord, the creator of Heaven and Earth. The One who sent His son to die for my (and your) sins. You are free to put your faith in whatever you want, but there is only one way to Heaven.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you're onto something there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know how we  know you're an atheist?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There will always be people that feel the need to hand control of their lives over to some sort of higher power, imaginary or not.

One of the biggest things about religion though, especially the primitive ones on up until the origins of modern Abrahamic ones was trying to explain the (at that time, anyway) unexplainable.

We've now managed to actually figure out what's going on with all of that, how it happened...and in many cases why it happens. Not everything though, but give it time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir Isaac Newton was brilliant on a level you'll never be able to comprehend.   And yet, he retained religious faith.

Why?    In addition to his natural genius, he had an insatiable quest for knowledge.

That kind of humility is rare in today's world.

For example, you think we know most of the answers, but you'd be shocked to know that we don't even know the questions.

We don't know if Time is real.

We don't know what Gravity is.

We don't understand the nature of Photons.

We don't understand the connection between the Newtonian world in which we live, and the Quantum world which makes up our Universe.

The more we learn, the more it seems that we are just seeing a human centric reflection of the truth.   Things in the quantum world do not fit our definition of reality.   It might as well be Harry Potter Witchcraft, ... or God...

I wish more people had the ability to grasp the wonder of it.

You don't even have to read.   Start with some YouTube videos.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It depends, mankind seems hell bent on going backwards, elevating weak and suppressing the strong, trading higher education for useless knowledge, perverting our history leaving us no solid foundation to build upon etc... a 1000 years from now might look more like a 1000 years ago.
View Quote
It's not that crazy a theory. ISIS would happily destroy all records and technology and make us the lost civilization of Atlantis.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
And yet all we use it for is to argue with other people.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting thread, but unfortunately it didn't take long for someone to drop the usual turd in the punch bowl.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Roger has a microbrewery a few blocks from me.  Like all fine microbrews, his is very good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a lot that is not known also. Physicists have identified about 5% of matter in the universe. The rest is known as “dark matter”, which we no idea what it is. Then there is dark energy, another thing we have no idea what it is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Can you atheist guys ever just let a science thread exist without adding religion to it?

Good grief.

And I'm a Christian!

@ the OP, this is neat, but I'd have to see a lot more supporting evidence to counteract the decades of scientific research I've read from far bigger names.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Animal House 1978 one tiny little Atom under your fingernail
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Take this with a few tons of salt. It's a theory from a Hawking collaborator, and they are trying to use it to explain something that is seen in the CMB data. Letting theorists post facto explain features of the data rarely leads you down the right road.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well that is technically a theorists job description. The vast majority of them take the shit slinging approach of publish a bunch of shit until one sticks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#47]
I’m sure the answers to the universe are easy to find. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No shit.  This just reinforces my theory which i posted here before.

In the beginning there was only dark matter.  Then the dark matter was sublimated into matter in an event we have called the big bang.  Black holes suck in matter and depose it into dark matter and eject it out, eventually deposing all matter back to dark.  And then the sublimation happens again, an endless cycle.
View Quote
No data supports this theory.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not only that, but it can recieve a live feed from a vehicle in orbit, and from a barge in the most remote locations on earth. The rocket technology slide, it's what's considered mundane now that utterly awes me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No matter what evidence is presented, a large portion of the population will reject it.  Look at the huge number of young earth creationists for proof of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve never understood why god  and science can not co exist?  Who’s to say he just didn’t snap his fingers and started everything in motion and is just sitting back and watching the rats in the maze?  I am a believer but there is no reason to think that I can’t believe n the results of science at the same time, unless it’s junk science like transgenderism or the like since biology is biology and it’s just a mental disorder.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top