Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red air's job is to be a training aid.  That is it.

They do not provide validation of capabilities or tactics, only a means to assess the performance of those tactics or uses of those capabilities.  They are there to fly the dance card and exploit execution mistakes on the part of blue air.

"We really wiped the floor with the bandits" isn't a useful boast, even if your bandits were unrestricted and very capable with no handcuffs.
View Quote
Local folks HATE red air but do it so other units return the favor.  I fight to get other units to support us during P2s because our pilots' RAP has no slop in it for providing red air.   Every sortie flow has to count for something and red air counts for very little.

For those not exposed to it, red air's mission is to fly profiles that are limited by speed, acceleration, vertical climb, weapons capabilities etc.   It sucks for the pilot because they get nothing out of it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That guy is such an alarmist tool. We have thousands of unemployed veterans with real world experience and he has a job wirting about the details of the military.

Virgins giving sex advice
View Quote
I'm guessing most of the people who design fighter jets have never flown one before...
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm guessing most of the people who design fighter jets have never flown one before...
View Quote
No worries as he's not a designer either. Rogoaway is a photographer that created a click bait site and doesn't know what he doesn't know

ETA

If youre talking about Sprey he also didn't "design" the A-10 or F-16 as it often falsely claimed
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sooo just thinking here.

Lets take a version of the F35B, ditch the fan and use that space and weight for the GAU-8??????

Hmmm?
View Quote
So take the most important component of the whole program, and replace it with a bunch of useless weight.

Brilliant.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So take the most important component of the whole program, and replace it with a bunch of useless weight.

Brilliant.
View Quote
I had an Aussie tell me they should take the gun out and replace it with someone smaller and filling the void with fuel... LOL I hope one day he reaches out from Witness protection.

What is it with Aussies and guns?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No worries as he's not a designer either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kelly Johnson was an engineer.

The best programs seem to be the ones where pilot input is balanced against what engineers say you can or can't do, by excellent project management who know how to assemble the right personalities and workforce to make it happen.

Look at the contrast between the F-4 and the teen fighters, for example.

F-15C (Upgraded)

F-16C

Now imagine decades of teen fighter pilots complaining about head down, head up fatigue, fighting with MFDs/MMDs trying to interpret sensor data, engine reliability, fuel efficiency, and how that wish list accumulated.  What would their dream plane look like?

F-35:

HMDS III F-35 Pilot Helmet Inside CGI Views Lightning II Aircraft
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Part pooper

Quoted:

Brilliant.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Part pooper

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Part pooper

Quoted:

Brilliant.
Sorry.  

I’m of the opinion that doubling (tripling if you count allied navies) the number decks that can operate a 5th-gen fighter/bomber is more important than giving hard-ons to Arfcom and antique congressmen.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not to toot my own horn, but I personally think that fighter jets manned by pilots in the aircraft are a dying breed. IF the solution to the problem of "pilots are squishy, expensive, get tired, and tend to be prima donas" happens to be "make an AI drone" .  Why use missiles, and the accompanying weight,  Say a quality missile cost 3 million bucks, drone costs 6, to take out a 40 million dollar enemy aircraft(and pilot and missiles/bombs), seems to be a win once the AI is developed, you can have said AI be set to only turn on if ground control is lost/delayed. Then you  have IFF capability built into said AI. you lost a 6 million dollar drone(which BTW can corner at 15-20 G's, humans tap out at 8 IIRC). Gold star families become a thing of the past, so politicians love it(really hard to argue "we want to put Americans in harms way, and some of them will die.." VS. "we safely bombed the hell out of XYZ, it was rough we lost some drones, but yeah we are safe"); heck CNN can put some grieving factory worker on talking about how great their AI drone was??.
View Quote
drones are sweet and all but not up to the capabilities of a manned craft yet. if they were such a game changer obama would have ended all war with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pierre Sprey

"The F-15 had gotten loaded up with junk."  (F-15 air-to-air kill record is currently 104:0)

"We started a guerrilla movement and did the F-16, which would wax the F-15."  (F-16 kill record is 77-1)

"No wing, no turn.  It's astonishingly unmaneuverable."  (Refer to video in OP)

"It isn't good at anything. It's a Turkey."  (Exact opposite of what all the pilots are saying about the F-35, especially the ones that flew F-16C, A-10, F-15C, F-15E, AV-8B, Hornet, and Super Hornet.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHlWow6Yc4
The F-16 configured the way Boyd and Sprey wanted it wouldn't make it to the merge against the F-15.
I spent several years in a bomber squadron, but of course I know some Tomcat pilots.  Every single one of them was impressed with the F-15's capability as a weapons platform.  BTW,  I know an A-6 pilot who popped out of a canyon, fired a simulated sidewinder at an F-15 and scored a kill.  Pilot skill is crucial, an he was a superb pilot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
The GAU-8 is giving the A-10 problems lately with malfs.

A-10 driver barely manages to belly-land after GAU-8 blows off his canopy, landing gear fails

AGM-65 was the A-10's main intended weapon for Fulda Gap.  If they magically survived an approach into armor town and were somehow able to get off Mavericks, then maybe the gun would have come into play, but they were literally counting on getting splashed by SAMs and hoping for CSAR.

Read this article on A-10 CAS in Anaconda and think about every problem they had, and what solutions might exist now.

Everything went wrong on A-10's first mission in Afghanistan
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry.  

I’m of the opinion that doubling (tripling if you count allied navies) the number decks that can operate a 5th-gen fighter/bomber is more important than giving hard-ons to Arfcom and antique congressmen.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part pooper

Quoted:

Brilliant.
Sorry.  

The B model is the one really keeping china awake at night.  It means japan alone already has several ships that are theoretically fixed wing capable.  And all those helicopter carriers...

from wiki:

CountryNavyIn serviceIn reserveUnder construction
Australia Royal Australian Navy200
Egypt Egyptian Navy200
France French Navy300
India Indian Navy000 (4 planned total)
Japan Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force400
South Korea Republic of Korea Navy101
Spain Royal Spanish Navy100
Thailand Royal Thai Navy100
Turkey Turkish Navy001
United Kingdom Royal Navy000
United States United States Navy931 (11 planned total)
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My gripes about the F-35 are:

1. Taking so long, development started in '92, first flight was in 2006... I mean come on, 30 years +/- before they started working on it we still had WWII surplus Corsairs in service.  Meanwhile we continue to run our 4th gen aircraft into the ground.  
2.  Expense, seems to be a kind of a cluster.
3.  Trying to do everything with one plane.  F-35 is probably going to be a great fighter, I don't think they are much of a CAS aircraft.

I have never even sat in a fighter but from the outside looking in it does look like a screwed up dragged out mess.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

3.  Trying to do everything with one plane.  F-35 is probably going to be a great fighter, I don't think they are much of a CAS aircraft.
View Quote
It’s really not one plane, it’s three. (Maybe 4 of you count export models).  And it’s fine for CAS, better than anything we currently have.  LAAR would be better, but that’s a whole ‘nuther thread.

Development has taken too long, no arguing that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No worries as he's not a designer either. Rogoaway is a photographer that created a click bait site and doesn't know what he doesn't know

ETA

If youre talking about Sprey he also didn't "design" the A-10 or F-16 as it often falsely claimed
View Quote
I never said he did.  My comment was related to the statement "Virgins giving sex advice."  Being a pilot is not a qualification for designing airplanes.

Of course the people who make these decisions and design these planes should take pilots input into account.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know shit about the 35 except what media tells me, which means nothing.

It does seem like everyone always hates our new planes at first, they always suck, always a bad idea, till the new planes starts kicking ass, then everyone loves them
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It’s really not one plane, it’s three. (Maybe 4 of you count export models).  And it’s fine for CAS, better than anything we currently have.  LAAR would be better, but that’s a whole ‘nuther thread.

View Quote
I disagree, but that's just me. Are we talking COIN CAS or talking MCO/Increased Threat CAS?

Sure it absolutely has advantages, but it's not there yet. In a few years absolutely, but not currently.

And yes, I have flown with the 35 to include some smaller LFEs. Not talking to LAAR, strictly what is in the current inventory.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I disagree, but that's just me. Are we talking COIN CAS or talking MCO/Increased Threat CAS?
View Quote
Doesn't matter -- CAS is a mission, and weapons produce effects, and it has virtually nothing to do with the delivery platform.  This is why everything from a Pred to an AC-130 to a Bone to an F-15E can validly perform "CAS", they just all bring different tools to the fight and can produce different weapons effects.

Either way, it is more survivable than the A-10 in anything but a completely permissive environment.

Hogs would be absolutely slaughtered in any denied environment, and thrive in the current permissive environment CAS.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter -- CAS is a mission, and weapons produce effects, and it has virtually nothing to do with the delivery platform.  This is why everything from a Pred to an AC-130 to a Bone to an F-15E can validly perform "CAS", they just all bring different tools to the fight and can produce different weapons effects.

Either way, it is more survivable than the A-10 in anything but a completely permissive environment.

Hogs would be absolutely slaughtered in any denied environment, and thrive in the current permissive environment CAS.
View Quote
I’m aware of what the CAS mission set entails and IMO the “type” of CAS absolutely does matter as each bring different considerations to the sortie to include weapons effects.

The COIN / TF CAS we are flying now is very different than an MCO type environment with the survivability issues you are talking to. Yes, they are both CAS but they are entirely different. The HOG, us, you all, hell just about anything would absolutely have issues in a denied environment and that is where the 35 thrives.

There is no denying the 35 can bring some awesome capabilities to the table, but I still stand by my original comment. The 35 is not the best suited aircraft for the “CAS” we are currently flying. MCO is an entirely different story.

Not sure when you got out, or if you are still in, but have you gotten a chance to look at the EOTS feeds?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#23]
With its other capabilities it seems that maneuverability doesn't matter as much, but that is impressive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#24]
F35 tickle fight aside, there will be ZERO CAS in an IADS environment.

WILL NOT HAPPEN.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The best programs seem to be the ones where pilot input is balanced against what engineers say you can or can't do, by excellent project management who know how to assemble the right personalities and workforce to make it happen.

http://f4phantomparts.com/fotos/COCKPITS/RF4G.jpg

F-15C (Upgraded)
https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=39347&d=1274578459

F-16C
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/90/a4/1090a450c4e9fc0c4a96ee3e22becb1d.jpg

Now imagine decades of teen fighter pilots complaining about head down, head up fatigue, fighting with MFDs/MMDs trying to interpret sensor data, engine reliability, fuel efficiency, and how that wish list accumulated.  What would their dream plane look like?

F-35:
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/50f838876bb3f70b4e00000a-750-562.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/07/16/360ADADD00000578-3679230-image-a-37_1467906588818.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3aimm04SWU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://f4phantomparts.com/fotos/COCKPITS/RF4G.jpg

F-15C (Upgraded)
https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=39347&d=1274578459

F-16C
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/90/a4/1090a450c4e9fc0c4a96ee3e22becb1d.jpg

F-35:
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/50f838876bb3f70b4e00000a-750-562.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/07/16/360ADADD00000578-3679230-image-a-37_1467906588818.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3aimm04SWU

Have you had PMT 401?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here we get to listen to GD with its vast knowledge in air combat.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The JSF was never intended to be an F-22, or to fly the same mission.

The most painful part of reading GD's threads about F-anythings is the belief that if it's a "fighter", then it's a "fighter", and they can all replace each other.  A dumb concept that ought to be killed off and forgotten.

Second to that is the idea that airplanes that are advertised to fly two times the speed of sound, fly at that speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F-35 will be a good fighter if we buy enough of them.

But it's no F-22.

We won't be getting any more F-22s though.
The JSF was never intended to be an F-22, or to fly the same mission.

The most painful part of reading GD's threads about F-anythings is the belief that if it's a "fighter", then it's a "fighter", and they can all replace each other.  A dumb concept that ought to be killed off and forgotten.

Second to that is the idea that airplanes that are advertised to fly two times the speed of sound, fly at that speed.
I am aware of the different missions the F-22, F-35A, F-35B and F-35C are intended for.

My point is that the F-22 was a staggeringly more advanced aircraft than its predecessors. The F-35 isn't such a beast.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

WILL NOT HAPPEN.
View Quote
Sounds like canceling the Crusader and various other artillery projects was a bad idea then.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am aware of the different missions the F-22, F-35A, F-35B and F-35C are intended for.

My point is that the F-22 was a staggeringly more advanced aircraft than its predecessors. The F-35 isn't such a beast.
View Quote
The F-35 is significantly more advanced than the F-22.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sounds like canceling the Crusader and various other artillery projects was a bad idea then.
View Quote
Cancelling crusador was smart.  They couldn't get the liquid propellent to work.  Killing DPICM on MLRS was a REALLY  bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

WILL NOT HAPPEN.
View Quote
But muh titanium bathtub!!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
It isn’t?

It’s a damn quantum leap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

WILL NOT HAPPEN.
View Quote
Sure it will, as long as you stay ahead of the competition.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Computers do what they're programmed to do.

Have you ever tried to program values?  Or even simple cost driven decisions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to toot my own horn, but I personally think that fighter jets manned by pilots in the aircraft are a dying breed. IF the solution to the problem of "pilots are squishy, expensive, get tired, and tend to be prima donas" happens to be "make an AI drone" .  Why use missiles, and the accompanying weight,  Say a quality missile cost 3 million bucks, drone costs 6, to take out a 40 million dollar enemy aircraft(and pilot and missiles/bombs), seems to be a win once the AI is developed, you can have said AI be set to only turn on if ground control is lost/delayed. Then you  have IFF capability built into said AI. you lost a 6 million dollar drone(which BTW can corner at 15-20 G's, humans tap out at 8 IIRC). Gold star families become a thing of the past, so politicians love it(really hard to argue "we want to put Americans in harms way, and some of them will die.." VS. "we safely bombed the hell out of XYZ, it was rough we lost some drones, but yeah we are safe"); heck CNN can put some grieving factory worker on talking about how great their AI drone was??.
Computers do what they're programmed to do.

Have you ever tried to program values?  Or even simple cost driven decisions?
Well, first you don't really understand AI or ML.  Second, programming cost driven decisions is very easy.  "Values" falls into a definition trap rather quickly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
That doesn't even make sense.

But it looks like an awesome powerpoint footer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well, first you don't really understand AI or ML.  Second, programming cost driven decisions is very easy.  "Values" falls into a definition trap rather quickly.
View Quote
Who does?

Values drives cost driven decision calculations. Look at reported program costs. They are all correct according to their own metrics. Metrics based on values.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
When compared to Harriers, Vipers, Hornets, Tomcats, and Eagles???  I have not turned a wrench on a bird since 12/91 but, I highly suspect you are wrong.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Who does?

Values drives cost driven decision calculations. Look at reported program costs. They are all correct according to their own metrics. Metrics based on values.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who does?

You're making up a word salad, nothing you said has any meaning at all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
To you. But that's the tricky thing with these matters.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's objective.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, it's objective.
View Quote
k den
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

k den
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Defeating IADS will allow CAS.

Does that make more sense?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure.

But then lets really think about what we need in CAS plane once we get rid of the ADA, shall we?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But in the meantime......If you're up against a near peer with IADS it's not going to be like Iraq/Syria with completely fixed and known targets. Especially when you throw someone in that is even halfway competent in electronic warfare.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
The army needs LAAR, not the air force.  The air force (and the navy) needs a bunch of cheap planes to use as bomb trucks so we don't fly the wings off the expensive stuff bombing mud huts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#48]
The idea that an F-35 can hold a candle to a slick F-16 in WVR combat is ludicrous. There' hardly anything that can touch a slick F-16 in visual combat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The idea that an F-35 can hold a candle to a slick F-16 in WVR combat is ludicrous. There' hardly anything that can touch a slick F-16 in visual combat.
View Quote
Ok then Doug Masters.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The air force (and the navy) needs a bunch of cheap planes to use as bomb trucks so we don't fly the wings off the expensive stuff bombing mud huts.
View Quote
The US used to be in the surface-to-surface missile game... these days, not so much.  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top