Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i carry a z rig in my snowmobile with 2 double pulleys to make it a 4 to 1 if needed.
View Quote
River guide here. We train with zdrag stuff. It's amazing the forces at work when a raft is wrapped on a rock.

Unload, deflate, pull

It's always a little too exciting.

Last season we had one with a firefighter, so maybe a little over confident...anyhow he wrapped in a rapid with his kids in the boat. We shuttled his kids off and that was terrifying but the easy part.

It took both of our kits to get him out of the middle of the river. We absolutely could not have done it without 8-1 pull. Crazy
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Take a drink every time they say "SNATCHBLOCK"!
View Quote
Is that in any way similar to a cockblock?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They're a good purchase.
View Quote
I see what you did here.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I never knew how pulleys worked until I saw this video.  Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2w3NZzPwOM
View Quote
We have the same suggestions, so it seems.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure my 6th grade science text book explained mechanical advantage a lot more succinctly than he did.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Pulleys are heresy.  He is a heretic.  Burn both.  Only God is meant to have that level of understanding.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I see what you did here.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're a good purchase.
I see what you did here.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A sheave is a component of a pulley, AKA pulley wheel. Pulley is an assembly.
View Quote
Isn't the other way around? A pulley is a single wheel, a sheave is two blocks, each with pulley(s) in them to allow multiplication of the pulling force.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

River guide here. We train with zdrag stuff. It's amazing the forces at work when a raft is wrapped on a rock.

Unload, deflate, pull

It's always a little too exciting.

Last season we had one with a firefighter, so maybe a little over confident...anyhow he wrapped in a rapid with his kids in the boat. We shuttled his kids off and that was terrifying but the easy part.

It took both of our kits to get him out of the middle of the river. We absolutely could not have done it without 8-1 pull. Crazy
View Quote
Yes, as a whitewater boater I always carried some pulleys to be used with throw bags ropes for stuck canoes/kayaks.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't push a rope?  Whiskey and my gf say otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]
been wanting to buy one of these...https://www.portablewinch.com/us_en/  Been in a few situations where iot would have been helpful.

Is it possible to move an item that exceeds the load limit of the rope using pulleys?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm still over there quite a bit. Glad to know there are other sailors on here.
View Quote
I got pissed when they fucked up the member numbers.  Kinda took my ball and came here.  My number was sub 100.  I'm starting to miss it though so I'll probably go back soon.  I almost bought a J24 this year.  Decided I needed something bigger with a proper stabin' cabin.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Isn't the other way around? A pulley is a single wheel, a sheave is two blocks, each with pulley(s) in them to allow multiplication of the pulling force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheave is the wheel, usually grooved, that the rope moves on.
Block is an assembly consisting of the frame, axle, and sheaves.

Pulley is a synonym for a block.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
F=MA, and you can't push with a string.

All you need to know.
View Quote
false, it is possible to push rope
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Ahh yess.  A self propelled limb remover and torso thrasher.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
How many pulleys to pull this out?
Attachment Attached File

Two, the answer is two.  And a winch on a Timberjack 350A skidder.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/109172/29040779994_951e7f62c8_o_jpg-1188801.JPG
View Quote
I had to get pulled out by a skidder once
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Snatch block

I just love saying that

ETA:

Recovery in reverse direction with a front mounted winch.

I keep three snatch blocks, three tree savers, and multiple shackles in the recovery kit for this very need.

There, I said snatch block again.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319389/ACC95F38-9547-471C-AC46-BE8246BDBFD7_jpeg-1187932.JPG
View Quote
@TZ250
are you saying this rigging would allow a front mounted winch to pull a truck backwards? That legit boggles my mind how it works.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@TZ250
are you saying this rigging would allow a front mounted winch to pull a truck backwards? That legit boggles my mind how it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snatch block

I just love saying that

ETA:

I keep three snatch blocks, three tree savers, and multiple shackles in the recovery kit for this very need.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319389/ACC95F38-9547-471C-AC46-BE8246BDBFD7_jpeg-1187932.JPG
@TZ250
Yes, it pulls the vehicle backwards. It’s actually exerting a pulling force on the front and the rear, but depending on the rigging/blocks it’s either twice or more as much force in the rear as in the front. The vehicle moves toward the greatest force.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, it pulls the vehicle backwards. It’s actually exerting a pulling force on the front and the rear, but depending on the rigging/blocks it’s either twice or more as much force in the rear as in the front. The vehicle moves toward the greatest force.
View Quote
That's crazy! it doesn't just snap the rope?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#22]
That video in the OP was terrible.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/109172/29040779994_951e7f62c8_o_jpg-1188801.JPG
View Quote
I was going to guess two and a third, but I guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@TZ250
View Quote
Yes, just as long as you have all the proper places to put your snatch blocks and enough winch cable to go through all of them as well.

I have a front winch, but if I need to pull myself out from the rear I use a Handyman Jack.   Luckily I have always been able to winch out from the front.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Spent a lot of time working with them when I designed cranes. On cranes we called them sheaves.
View Quote
On hot days did you prefer short sheaves or long sheaves?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spent a lot of time working with them when I designed cranes. On cranes we called them sheaves.
Get both

Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a VX One I travel with and am.looking for something bigger to leave in the water at the club.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
been wanting to buy one of these...https://www.portablewinch.com/us_en/  Been in a few situations where iot would have been helpful.

Is it possible to move an item that exceeds the load limit of the rope using pulleys?
View Quote
Yes.

Example: the 100 ton crane I'm running right now has a single line pull of 14,000 lbs, 6 parts of line gets me roughly an 80,000 lbs lifting capacity.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@TZ250
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snatch block

I just love saying that

ETA:

@TZ250
Double the pulling force on the rear rigging. Watch this, it makes more sense when you see it:

Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wire rope should have a breaking strength many times the pulling capacity of the winch.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Worse, Germans!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Worse, Germans!
Great. So not only is it needlessly complicated, it's also difficult to work on?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not in a recovery situation, the pulley is an anchor point, and the anchor and working end of the line are what moves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Realizing this helped me. It may help others. Obvious in hind site.
The only way the effort is halved is if the pulley is moving. The stationary pulley does nothing.
Not in a recovery situation, the pulley is an anchor point, and the anchor and working end of the line are what moves.
Think of this as pulling the anchor to the vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Do any companies make snatch blocks in the US that don't cost over $100? Everything I can find is China made or 5x as expensive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do any companies make snatch blocks in the US that don't cost over $100? Everything I can find is China made or 5x as expensive.
View Quote
Check the AW Direct catalog.  We use Gunnebo Johnson blocks on the wreckers.  Never ever had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any idea who or what culture invented the pulley system?
View Quote
I believe it was Archimedes, so the Greeks
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This might help him understand it.

In this picture, the snatch block would be the weight, the bumper would be the anchor point on the top left, and the winch would be the pulley on the top right.

The amount of line required to move the object a fixed distance is now doubled, but as a result it only requires half the force from the winch.

In the picture the goal is to move the weight, but pretend the weight is a fixed point, the bumper that the anchors are attached to will move first.

https://s.hswstatic.com/gif/bt3.gif
View Quote
So this is actual a bad example as the photo is wrong.   The effective force is doubled only when the two lines are parallel.  If the two ropes are at an angles trigonometry and vector math come into play, and increase the tension in the rope.  As the crate is lifted the angle between the ropes increase, as does the tension.

At zero degrees between the ropes. (Ropes Parallel) the tension in the rope is 50% of the load
As the angle between ropes increases, so does the load, slowly at first, then it starts rising quickly.

At a 60 degree angle its going to be 57, at 90 it jumps to 70.7 at 120 its up to 100 lbs and around 150 degrees its double at 200 lbs
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As a guy who (I thought) had used pulleys effectively as a wrecker operator, I'm feeling pretty stupid about this, but I'm going to keep talking through it until it makes sense.

You're proposing that if the winch were to reel in 12" of cable, the jeep would only move toward the pulley 6"? I still can't fathom that- there's nowhere for that distance to get lost.

So is the part of this that I'm missing in the fact that the pull point and the anchor point are the same?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubled the force at no sacrifice to distance pulled?

I would understand a second pulley, or block and tackle setup where the force is redirected twice. But only being run through one pulley should only change the direction of force, not the magnitude... ?
Nope.  If winch is pulling on the line and the other end of the line is pulling on the bumper, the bumper is being pulled by twice what the winch can haul.  The Jeep moves at half the reel speed
As a guy who (I thought) had used pulleys effectively as a wrecker operator, I'm feeling pretty stupid about this, but I'm going to keep talking through it until it makes sense.

You're proposing that if the winch were to reel in 12" of cable, the jeep would only move toward the pulley 6"? I still can't fathom that- there's nowhere for that distance to get lost.

So is the part of this that I'm missing in the fact that the pull point and the anchor point are the same?
If the pull line is doubled the 12” winch take up is 6” per line.  Yes the winch pulled in 12” but 6” passed over the sheave from the other side returning to the same vehicle.   The vehicle moved 6” or the anchor did.  Run the same line back and forth through more sheaves on each end and you spread the 12” out across each running line segment.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bad memory.   My buddy manages a property.   There is a radio tower on his mountain and a power line to it.   For maintenance a company comes with a bucket on a skidder for tree trimming.   The crew granted him permission to use it on the weekend so he could clear some widow makers around the children’s camp.

My buddy calls me after 9 pm on Sunday.  Come help I got a skidder stuck.  

The tree trimming crew followed the line and left track in the snow on both sides of a frozen over wet spot.   He presumed wrongly they drove through the little frozen bog, nope, the reach along the line from both sides, not going through the bog.  He spent hours making it worse before popping the emergency flare.

We ended up building cribbing to put under the outriggers and lifted the machine on the out riggers, then tossed many rocks under the tires.  Finally pulling with a backhoe boom.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I did find a site with instructions to make blocks from elm.   Lignum vitae was a self lubricating wood for the sheaves but is on the protected species list now so they were using nylon sheaves.

Found it on a traditional boat building site.

I might make a set.

I have seen old school blocks hanging in many a deer cutters shop.  Never ran across a nice set that wasn’t rotted though.  Sitting in the corner of a leaking barn is no bueno.   Hanging in a dry barn for 60 years and they seem to last forever.

I literally have a completely cheap Harbor fright set for deer processing.  It’s garbage quality but it does work.   A 140 pound deer goes up with just a few pounds of pull.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So this is actual a bad example as the photo is wrong.   The effective force is doubled only when the two lines are parallel.  If the two ropes are at an angles trigonometry and vector math come into play, and increase the tension in the rope.  As the crate is lifted the angle between the ropes increase, as does the tension.

At zero degrees between the ropes. (Ropes Parallel) the tension in the rope is 50% of the load
As the angle between ropes increases, so does the load, slowly at first, then it starts rising quickly.

At a 60 degree angle its going to be 57, at 90 it jumps to 70.7 at 120 its up to 100 lbs and around 150 degrees its double at 200 lbs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This might help him understand it.

In this picture, the snatch block would be the weight, the bumper would be the anchor point on the top left, and the winch would be the pulley on the top right.

The amount of line required to move the object a fixed distance is now doubled, but as a result it only requires half the force from the winch.

In the picture the goal is to move the weight, but pretend the weight is a fixed point, the bumper that the anchors are attached to will move first.

https://s.hswstatic.com/gif/bt3.gif

It's a fine example because it's a simple drawing that shows him what he can't understand. Who cares if the angles dynamically change the load as it moves in that exact scenario.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I knew some guys in AZ about 15 years ago who had a band called Snatch Block.

Mike

PS: Texas too: https://www.facebook.com/pg/SnatchBlock/about
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A sheave can also be a grooved wheel mounted on a shaft that operates one or more belts.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I think this a snatch block conspiracy by the snatch block companies to sell more snatch blocks
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Check the AW Direct catalog.  We use Gunnebo Johnson blocks on the wreckers.  Never ever had a problem with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their cheapest G-J is $105 (marked down from $130). The cheaper ones in the AW catalog don't state origin, and neither did the manufacturers' websites, that I could find. :-/

It sucks that higher rated Chinese versions are $30. I'd rather go domestic, but damn, the 5x premium is tough to swallow.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The sheave is just the "wheel" inside the block.  (I hate the word pulley).
View Quote
I've never heard a professional use the word "pulley."
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Their cheapest G-J is $105 (marked down from $130). The cheaper ones in the AW catalog don't state origin, and neither did the manufacturers' websites, that I could find. :-/

It sucks that higher rated Chinese versions are $30. I'd rather go domestic, but damn, the 5x premium is tough to swallow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My eighty three year old friend is still doing towing and recovery, he buys the US made stuff over the much cheaper Chinese stuff.  He is frugal but doesn’t want to bet his company on a third world shell company’s say so.   He has seen things fail in his crane operating days, he doesn’t want to lose someone he knows to something in his control.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#49]
One of my favorite channels on youtube

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure my 6th grade science text book explained mechanical advantage a lot more succinctly than he did.
View Quote
So less than 15 minutes? lol
Quoted:
That video in the OP was terrible.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yup - inclined plane, lever, wedge, wheel and axle, pulley, screw, and C4
View Quote
You mean all those things the entire world, except the American Indians discovered?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top