Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2019 2:22:50 PM EDT
I live alone and work during the day.  I cannot deal with dogs.  I am allergic to cats.  So I was wondering about rabbits

I am curious if rabbits are high maintenance.  Can the hop around the house.  More importantly can they be left alone during the day.

My biggest concern is their knowing the furniture and wiring.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by knowing??? Intimately???

Now gnawing on the other hand yea well they are basically big rats that like chewing and crapping.

ETA: They should be kept in a cage when not home. but quite pets. easy to take care of.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I am just looking for a pet for companionship.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
They make good pets.  They need to be kept in a cage, or they will piss and shit all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quiet, can be litter box trained, shouldn’t be left in a tiny cage for extended periods.

Setting up a corner of a room isn’t difficult, though. Give them room to move and stuff to do, plus it keeps them away from furniture, baseboards, and electrical wiring.

Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They make good pets.  They need to be kept in a cage, or they will piss and shit all over the place.
View Quote
Not to mention they will chew through wires. Just get a portable gate and that'll be fine.

Go for it OP
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
0/10 for failing to post proper dinner pic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if it isn't a good pet it will make a good meal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Pot bellied pig.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I got an empty room downstairs in a finished basement that would probably suit.  Figuring let it hop around his/her happy room by day and let it out after I get home.  Would that work?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I live alone and work during the day.  I cannot deal with dogs.  I am allergic to cats.  So I was wondering about rabbits

I am curious if rabbits are high maintenance.  Can the hop around the house.  More importantly can they be left alone during the day.

My biggest concern is their knowing the furniture and wiring.
View Quote
of course your apartment will reek of rabbit piss, and be full of rabbit turds 11 minutes after you let them loose. if you don't want them to know about furniture or wiring, don't give them access to the internet, tv or your technical manuals about those things.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#11]
i'd look into a ferret instead
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got an empty room downstairs in a finished basement that would probably suit.  Figuring let it hop around his/her happy room by day and let it out after I get home.  Would that work?
View Quote
If you have a whole room to dedicate you could do the same with a bird and they have better personalities. They aren't all loud either if that is a concern.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard they could be litter box trained?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let us know how that works out.

Hell I'm not even potty trained.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#15]
i have watched several documentaries in which they cross dress and miss the turn at albuquerque.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Would be fine. Just make sure you litter box train it.

Rabbit pee reeks.

Litter training info
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
reptiles
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Good rabbit

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
What happened to little thumper?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#20]
This guy lived 16 years.  Easy to litter train.  Kept his cage in the laundry room and that's where his food and water was.

Rabbit-proofing isn't very hard - more you need to re-direct their interest.
Put split loom over wires he showed too much interest in and had small pieces of hardwood branches stashed in areas
he liked to chill in so he had something to gnaw on.

Really satisfying low maintenance critters.  Trainable (search YouTube for Rabbit Steeplechase for grins).  I'd get another.

Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Tag for interest. I just bought a couple of Mini Rex rabbits for my girls, who plan to show them at the fair. I'm sure they'll end up in the house more often than not, if not eventually full time. It'll be interesting to see how the cats deal with that.

My wife wants a Giant Continental. Those things are fucking enormous, but on the bright side they don't live nearly as long.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a free roaming bunny for 7 years that was litter trained and came when called. she chewed on some stuff so if you've got handmedown furniture you don't care about it's all good. but other than that, they can be pretty cool. Mine would go upstairs and check on me sometimes then go back to her bed when she got tired of roaming.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well if it isn't a good pet it will make a good meal.
View Quote
Fried rabbit legs are the bomb.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#25]
my daughter's rabbit is litterbox-trained, and we let her hop around outside her large cage a couple of times a day for an hour or so.  But she likes to chew on cords.  Little *&(^$ cost me $95 for a new power cable for my computer!!

She's a Lion-Head rabbit with a big mane. She looks like Balin from The Hobbit movies.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#26]
We raise Angoras and Lionheads.

During the recent cold snap we had to keep a young litter in the house .

They all went to the bathroom in a litter box in the corner of the room, when they were let out after work .

It’s kind of cool having a couple of bunnies climbing all over you while you’re watching TV .

Go for it OP... Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#27]
If you ever breed them, you must keep the males separate from the babies.............
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Used to have them as pets when I was younger, they are VERY maintenance intensive unless you can also let them outside and have a large garden to let them roam out. Also poop a LOT as well but their poop was excellent fertilizer that acted like steroids for veggies and made them bigger. Mine was like a cat in some ways that was moody at times but then he'd come up to me and want me to pet him. I miss him, he got killed by a cat for fun 8 years later when I let him out the garden. Get a guinea pig instead, my sister had one and he was small, pooped less and kinda acted like a noisy squeaky rabbit too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#29]
They poop everywhere and chew on everything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#30]
A friend had a bunny that had the run of the the house and was litter box trained.   When he was sitting in a chair, it would come and sit on his feet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
i'd look into a ferret instead
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This guy lived 16 years.  Easy to litter train.  Kept his cage in the laundry room and that's where his food and water was.

Rabbit-proofing isn't very hard - more you need to re-direct their interest.
Put split loom over wires he showed too much interest in and had small pieces of hardwood branches stashed in areas
he liked to chill in so he had something to gnaw on.

Really satisfying low maintenance critters.  Trainable (search YouTube for Rabbit Steeplechase for grins).  I'd get another.

http://www.stallionservices.com/wilbur.jpg
View Quote
My condolences.  He looked like a happy little fellow and I am sure he was a beloved member of the family.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#33]
My kids I have a rabbit, 5 years now. Started out day one keeping her in a 36"x18" cage full of rabbit bedding other than when holding her, they will pee in one corner, and if you put that pee soaked bedding in a rabbit litter box and leave it in the same corner, they will continue to pee and poop in it from that point on. They need hours of attention daily when young to assimilate, if not they just want to hide 24/7. After 3-4 months of daily handling and expanding it's space, we became comfortable allowing it to run around by itself for a couple hours daily. They will learn a few things, but are not super intelligent. They are extremely low maintenance, don't require any shots, our vet told us they cannot even get or transfer rabies. DEFINITELY get it fixed! ours became kinda aggressive and started humping a soccer ball - and it's a female! we got it fixed and it was mellow again within a couple days. They don't all like carrots, ours loves raisins and a tiny chunk of banana, but they should only get treats one or two per day, they need to eat a lot of Timothy Hay and need fresh water, and must have chew toys/sticks as their teeth never stop growing. They can crawl into small places and are hard to get out without scaring them, so best to prevent access. Ours has never chewed furniture, but loves to chew wires, cell phone cords are done in one quick bite. If they become aggressive, you need leather gloves, and you need to pick them up and hold them a lot, so they learn to trust. Our rabbit now runs the house -no bedrooms since there's too many hiding places - we leave the cage open so she gets water and uses the litter box at will. Zero pee accidents from day one, but occasionally a random turd will stick to her hair and come out of the cage when she jumps out. Change litter box every 3-4 days and use a scatterless litter box and Carefresh Complete bedding to line the litter box and you won't smell a thing. Rabbit poop doesn't stink, and Carefresh keeps the pee from smelling as long as you change it often.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Our rabbit likes celery. Lots of timothy hay.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
easy to take care of.
View Quote
Not true at all.

They require 24/7 hay as in, you forget to feed them for a day, they might die.  Seriously.

They are wonderful animals.  I miss my Rex so bad.  He hopped around the house, played with the dogs everyday, was potty trained (litter box in cage), came when I called him, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#36]
OP get a hypoallergenic kitty.....

http://www.allerca.com/html/aboutallerca.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our daughter’s rabbit took to the litter box without any training. He used to mark with pellets, but he stopped after a few months. He does kick things out of the litter box, which makes a mess, but as long as you clean it out every day the smell is not bad.

The rabbit does chew on books and cardboard, and he sheds. He’ll eat from my hand, but doesn’t care to be held. It’s taken a while to get him to tolerate petting. He is not a dog.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not to mention they will chew through wires ONCE. Just get a portable gate and that'll be fine.

Go for it OP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to mention they will chew through wires ONCE. Just get a portable gate and that'll be fine.

Go for it OP
FIFY. Chewing through cords is self-correcting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I have had rabbits for almost 20 years now. They are great pets. They can very easily be litterbox trained provided they are altered. In my experience, females dig and chew more than males, but I think it depends on the individual rabbit.

Most do well with companionship, though I have had two bachelors that preferred it that way. They have been free range for a while and they are probably less maintenance than a dog. They can be left alone for a day or two provided they have a rabbit-proofed area, hay, and water.

The males were very friendly and preferred my company. Most of the females preferred other rabbits.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#40]
My rabbit would greet me when I came home, stand on it's back legs, and put his head down to be kissed on the forehead.....

Like I said wonderful animals.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I had an angora for several years. It was litter trained and liked to chill out with me on the floor. When I wasn't around, she was kept in a big dog kennel. She was a cool pet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FIFY. Chewing through cords is self-correcting.
View Quote
You’ll go thru a lot of dead rabbits with that attitude
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, absolutely, but make sure to change out the box so it doesn't get too nasty or they will poop and pee elsewhere.

My wife got 4 rabbits and we had them for ~ 10 years and they all died of old age (one had uterine cancer which is very common in the females which is why they are often fixed with the uterus removed).

She then got 2 more.  We made the mistake of getting the 4 rabbits at different times so they fought with each other (all females).  This time she got two together and they get along very well.  My advice is to get two females if you are gone a lot.  It's NOT necessary, but they do get lonely if you only have one and it is alone all day.  They can be somewhat nocturnal so they are most active in the evening.

You have to trim their nails as they don't have anything hard to scratch against and wear them down like they do on a farm or in the wild.

Rabbits can be very affectionate and are good to have around.  Just be careful with their chewing!  Also, as already noted, they must have dry Timothy hay available to them at all times as it's an important part of their diet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#45]
my dad gave my girls rabbits.   they were cute for a while but even the girls started to hate them.

They shit EVERYWHERE!!! ALL THE TIME.  Like, ENDLESS rabbit shit.  and it gets kinda smelly.

they are cute, but the ones we had never got super cuddly.  You can hold them, but they then will sometimes freak out and kick the hell out of you.

They were a huge PITA to keep and the maintenance got to be too much, so we got rid of them.

personally I'd get a cat, they have cats that are hypoallergenic.  Even one of those bald cats.

Cats sleep like 18 hours a day, so leaving them alone isn't a big deal.  They pee in a literbox, so you can get a roboliterbox that cleans itself. they are pretty cool to watch, and you can leave them alone for a couple days no problem.

Rabbits, I think, will eat your house apart and pretty much cover it in shit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Lots of good advice and LOTS of "I don't think you ever had a rabbit or you're just full of shit" advice. We've had two at different times over at least a 15 year period. I'm not a dog person and fought against them. But I was wrong (I think). Best little friend I ever had was Bob. No idea the breed. White and tan. Easy to litter box train but HAD TO BE FIXED!! He "marked" his friends. Not pleasant. After fixing that stopped. Super friendly, loved to run and "bink". Loved to chase you and hide and seek. Sit beside me while I watched tv for petting. Sit under my chair when I was on the computer. Full run of the living room and kitchen after we hid all the wiring!! Would "dance" on his back feet for treats. Slept in the middle of the living room floor flat on his back with all four feet in the air. Coolest little guy I ever knew. Get a male. Females are not as friendly but ours now is coming around.
He developed a growth very much like cancer in his neck/jaw area. We did all we could with the help of an awesome vet but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I held him and cried like a little bitch when we had to put him down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Had them as pets for over 20 years. Clean, they like to poop in the same spot in the hutch. They are nervous around kids. Very good pets.

ETA: Kept them in a hutch when not home. Open it when I got home, they are perfectly ok in the hutch as they like small spaces. Carful with wires was they will chew on them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quiet, can be litter box trained, shouldn’t be left in a tiny cage for extended periods.

Setting up a corner of a room isn’t difficult, though. Give them room to move and stuff to do, plus it keeps them away from furniture, baseboards, and electrical wiring.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/0c/1b/e40c1b8ed24ddf77045cf6bee94aff9d.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5a/ab/2a/5aab2a488a7aa6459f471b80928a5913.jpg

http://clarktaylor.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/bunny-room-gallery-of-recommended-rabbit-housing-hutch-photos-pictures-alternative-living-areas-for-roomba.jpg
View Quote
white people....
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lots of good advice and LOTS of "I don't think you ever had a rabbit or you're just full of shit" advice. We've had two at different times over at least a 15 year period. I'm not a dog person and fought against them. But I was wrong (I think). Best little friend I ever had was Bob. No idea the breed. White and tan. Easy to litter box train but HAD TO BE FIXED!! He "marked" his friends. Not pleasant. After fixing that stopped. Super friendly, loved to run and "bink". Loved to chase you and hide and seek. Sit beside me while I watched tv for petting. Sit under my chair when I was on the computer. Full run of the living room and kitchen after we hid all the wiring!! Would "dance" on his back feet for treats. Slept in the middle of the living room floor flat on his back with all four feet in the air. Coolest little guy I ever knew. Get a male. Females are not as friendly but ours now is coming around.
He developed a growth very much like cancer in his neck/jaw area. We did all we could with the help of an awesome vet but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I held him and cried like a little bitch when we had to put him down.
View Quote
@docslester

Did you ever feed yours bananas?  The body “twitch” they do while eating bananas is hilarious.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/PiKEfotOa-c[/youtube]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#50]
get a fishtank
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top