User Panel

Site Notices
REST IN PEACE (Page 110 of 208)
Page / 208
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FW_wife:
Tonight's update... Who knew being married could be so hard. If you haven't yet, you might just want to have "the talk" with your spouse and loved ones. Hopefully your end is far in the future, but you just never know.

Jeff has advance directives in place, signed six weeks ago. Maybe if the hospital had known about his wishes, he wouldn't have been intubated and on the ventilator, I don't know. But we are here now and decisions need to be made. If you take all feeling out of the situation, decisions are pretty cut and dry. If you love Jeff like I love Jeff, you just can't take emotions out of this. When you sign your own papers and indicate how you would like to be cared for if faced with a terminal or irreversible condition, you may make that decision like it's a no-brainer. 'Of course I don't want to be kept alive artificially if there is no cure...' 'Of course I don't want to be a vegetable...' But with the passage of time and other things that happen, would your wishes change? With Jeff on the ventilator, he can't tell us what he wants. He can't ask questions. They can lighten sedation and he can nod or shake his head to yes/no questions - but he's groggy. Do you really take his answers to be well thought-out? What's going on in that fuzzy-haired head of his?

http://beautifuldayinparadise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013-11-06_21-34-061-300x168.pngSo I've decided to hold off on radiation and anything else until he can be weaned off the ventilator. He is still on blood pressure medicine, antibiotics, saline, sedation, pain killer, etc., etc. You see all the IV lines going on. I'm told he is not on the ventilator because he has or had a breathing problem, but because he was bleeding. With the bleeding stopped, at least for now, it seems reasonable to attempt to get him off the ventilator. I'd hate to not give him a chance to talk to us again.

There is the possibility that things could go south after he is off the ventilator. In that event, he would not be resuscitated and his wishes for no life-sustaining measures would be honored. He's been through hell and back. He has a strong spirit, but his body is damn tired. He has suffered so much already with the effects of chemo, the pain and sickness. My only hope is for compassionate and merciful care. No more gallon bags of chemo. No more barf bags in my purse. No more pain pills that offer little relief. He deserves better.

PS - We've received Jeff's trigger from Geissele and all the wonderful swag too. THANK YOU! We have a box of ARFCOM swag too. Thank you! (We will never be hatless. I just may have to bedazzle my car with all the stickers too.) Thank you also to Christian for the box FULL of German snacks and candies, non-alcoholic beer, toy pirate ship, money, etc. Travis adores the pirate ship! Thank you to xcrmonger for the bad-ass penguin. I plan to post it here soon. It should be shared Dan and Heather - you are a beautiful couple! Thank you and Bill and Daniel for the generous checks. Thank you to Joe for the washawaycancer soap. Thank you to everyone for the cards and letters heavy with love and sweet words of encouragement.
View Quote

Thank you for the update.

Know that we are all thinking of you and your amazing family in this time of struggle.

+1 on your sons name!

Best wishes to all of you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump! Thanks for the update. Hoping for the best!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Our prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:46:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By SgtKiwi:

Thought it may be a good point to add another... Hang in there buddy.  We're praying for you.  
If it should happen

If God calls my name

Remember my friends

Not to throw blame

For in my life

The love I have known

To each of my friends

In some way has shown

Through me you have learned

The small things most miss

Time with your wife

Or your child's gentle kiss

Your son by your side

With a hook in the water

Or a short hunting trip

With your young daughter

You see, it's not about

Your years on the Earth

It's more how you spend them

That in the end shows your worth

So carry on in life

With new hope instilled

For I now have peace

My mission fulfilled

I taught so many

Over so few of days

What life is about

In so many ways

So, again if God calls

And no longer can wait

A hug for you all

Still waits past the gate
View Quote

Thought this needed to be reposted.

I don't know what else to say about the latest update, but Hang in there FW wife. You are and have been so strong. You are an inspiration as Jeff has been to us since his original post. We are praying for you, and I don't mean the yeah I'll pray kind. I mean the bowing on knees in the humblest of worship kind. Just know that whatever happens, it is a blessing from God. God is Love. He is with you right now.

We continue to pray.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Praying  for Jeff, Reta and their family!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Blessings are upon you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:59:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brohawk] [#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
daily check in for updates and to let you know were still praying for you bud.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PilotMacGruber:
daily check in for updates and to let you know were still praying for you bud.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Stay strong.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By TominOregon:

Thanks for the update Reta.

Although it's not quite what a bunch of us wanted to read, it is, what it is.

Being a somewhat older person, I have come to know this;

God, does not give us more than we can handle.

If at any time, you feel that this is more than you can handle, I believe there are a bunch of great folks here who would be at you side very quickly.

Many of them, complete strangers by name and face. But we have come to know you and your family, if even just a little bit.

Your husbands words, I believe, changed some peoples lives. People have given blood, registered with bethematch, started praying.

Jeff has done really great things with a simple post, on a web site with a bunch of total strangers.

Stay strong.

Keep the faith.

View Quote

This...

Jeff and Reta - I don't know either of you but I do feel connected to your family in a tangible way. I had a hard time reading your last update and kept thinking of how hard that must have been to write. As people have said before your lives have touched mine and I will be better for it. I also know that must be little consolation to you at the moment. Know this though, now and going forward there is an army of people here who are looking out for you and will gladly do whatever we can to help.

Stay strong!

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Sending more prayers.  Hang in there Reta, Stay strong Jeff!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the updates . This has been one of the hardest things to read . I am sure it is incredibly hard to live . You have my deepest prayers .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Dear Reta and Jeff:

Brohawk said what I came here to say, only better than what I could have said.

We don't understand on this side of Glory why things happen.  But, you can be assured of healing, whether here or in your eternal home.  Jeff, you will be healed and made whole.  

God has performed a miracle in your illness.  Strangers who at times fight amongst themselves here have been humbled and have come together.  I have never seen anything like this!  Many of us have birth families who would never even go to these lengths to express love and offer hope and help, but this family is doing it.  And we don't know the other miracles that are going to arise ftom this, God isn't finished.

Reta, you are in a tough spot.  Lean on Him to guide you to help Jeff in whatever way you deem best.  It is easy for us to say, but you are living it, we can't imagine how you are feeling.  I'm so sorry you are having to face these decisions.

Will continue to pray for y'all, lifting you up before our Almighy Father.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Morning prayers for Jeff and his family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Back to the top, we are still with you Jeff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the update Reta.   Our prayers continue!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#19]

We all need to have the Faith of The Centurion right now and to keep praying.
Matthew 8:5-13
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Stay strong Reta, good thoughts are being sent!  I hope today brings good things to your family.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Not good news at all, I can't even imagine what you are going through Reta...hardly an hour goes by where I don't think about you and your family and if I had three wishes one of them would be for your husband.
The faith that so many here have is not something I share at the level they do but maybe someone does listen and maybe there is mercy after all.
Thinking of you again,
Love,
Katrina
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#22]
More prayers sent. I've been checking this thread first thing when I wake up, throughout the day, and its the last thing I do before I set my alarm when I go to bed. We are all pulling for you and your family Jeff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#23]
More prayers sent. Reta, believe that God will hold Jeff close and bring him home in which ever way he see's best.

As others have said, Jeff's simple post has changed lives. Has made a lot of us open our eyes to what we're missing. May God bless you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I have read (most of) this thread and followed it since it began, but I have not posted or called because I'm just not good with words during times like this. I have only prayed.
I will continue to pray but I felt compelled to tell you, Jeff and Reta, that for as many that have publicly posted well wishes and as many that have called and visited, there are many more like me that are in the background praying for your comfort and peace during this storm.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#26]
More prayers sent............................thy will be done, in Jesus name, Amen
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chromefish] [#27]
Thoughts and prayers this morning...

And an standing offer to assist anyway, anywhere, anytime.

Stay Strong!

Good words worth repeating, thanks Breathe_Squeeze

More prayers sent. Reta, believe that God will hold Jeff close and bring him home in which ever way he see's best.

As others have said, Jeff's simple post has changed lives. Has made a lot of us open our eyes to what we're missing. May God bless you and your family.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Good morning Reta and Jeff,

Just read your update, others have said what I intended to say and better than I could so let me just say that more prayers are headed your way this morning. Stay strong and thank you so much for keeping us all updated. Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Continued prayers...
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Morning Jeff. Prayers sent!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Man, it's dusty in here.

You guys are  in my thoughts and prayers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Bump and Prayers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Still thinking about and praying for the both of you! Keep fighting this!  

I hope to read good news in the coming weeks.  You had better never, ever give up! Stay strong!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#34]
]
Originally Posted By SgtKiwi:
Thought it may be a good point to add another... Hang in there buddy.  We're praying for you.  

If it should happen
If God calls my name
Remember my friends
Not to throw blame
For in my life
The love I have known
To each of my friends
In some way has shown
Through me you have learned
The small things most miss
Time with your wife
Or your child's gentle kiss
Your son by your side
With a hook in the water
Or a short hunting trip
With your young daughter
You see, it's not about
Your years on the Earth
It's more how you spend them
That in the end shows your worth
So carry on in life
With new hope instilled
For I now have peace
My mission fulfilled
I taught so many
Over so few of days
What life is about
In so many ways
So, again if God calls
And no longer can wait
A hug for you all
Still waits past the gate

View Quote

Great post!

Morning prayers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Jeff kick this cancer in the teeth. Keep fighting. Know that me and my family are praying for you along with many other families. Keep giving it the good fight and no matter what happens know that you will be better for it whether you are here on earth or in heaven.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Thinking of Jeff and his family every day.  Stay strong and fight!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bmw20] [#37]
I wish I had words capable of making your situation better....I don't. But I can tell you that this thread, and your situation, has made me take a long hard look in the mirror and realize that I don't like the person I've been lately. I've allowed myself to forget what is important in life and take for granted things I shouldn't. No more.

Jeff, may God comfort you and your family in your time of need and guide you along the path he has chosen. Know that you have touched many lives and have encouraged others (me) to be better people. I'm looking forward to positive updates as your battle continues.

God speed.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TheGunCollector:
Man, it's dusty in here.

You guys are  in my thoughts and prayers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
More prayers sent. I've been checking this thread first thing when I wake up, throughout the day, and its the last thing I do before I set my alarm when I go to bed. We are all pulling for you and your family Jeff.
View Quote

As do I...

Daily Prayer for Jeff, Reta and the family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#40]
My prayers go out to you and your family.  I hope that whatever happens in the near future for better or worse, that you and your family can find peace in it, Reta.  Making the tough decisions especially when it involves someone you love is never easy.  I hope that he recovers fully and is able to see you turn old and gray and vise versa and that one day he gets to see his grandchildren.  If this none of this happens, just know that you will never be alone in this, we are now a part of your life whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Daily prayers incoming for you Jeff and Reta. I'm hoping for the best and stay strong.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Prayers up for the entire family.  Stay strong!  I'll keep praying!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Prayers continue.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#44]
More prayers out for Jeff, Reta, and the family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:36:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#45]
Reta and Jeff,

There is little I could add to the beautiful thoughts, acts, and words already done.

Your story has touched something deep inside thousands of people. You are showing...no. You are living faith, courage, and dignity, showing the strength of the soul that we all hope we possess, but hope we never have to use.

Jeff, you were worried that you had not taught your son much. That is not true. You and Reta have taught him something far, far more valuable than you could imagine. You have, and are, teaching him character. You are showing him how to be a man, and how spouses and parents should come together in a crisis. You are showing him that it is OK to be scared. It is OK to cry. It is OK to tell people you cannot do everything by yourself.  You are showing him that courage is not bravado. It is making hard decisions with compassion; it is facing unknowns with a willingness to see where our Creator will lead you.

You have made this doctor, who sees suffering daily, change some direction in his life. Because of you, I remember to stop and tousle my sons' hair a bit longer. I will give them an extra hug in memory of those that you may not be able to do until we all pass again from this mortal existence.  I spend a little longer talking to families about their fears and hopes, and share my story of sitting awake all night at my mother's bedside and wife's bedside as they waged their battles with cancer.

Jeff, thank you for your service to the country. Even more, thank you for your service to your fellow man. You have softened many hearts and been part of motivating so many others to do good. That is a legacy that surpasses any fleeting mortal achievement.

May you all find peace through this most harrowing time.  Thank you for showing us all what it means to have your soul pass through the refining fire of life's challenges.

"Be strong, and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for The Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."
-Joshua 1:9
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I like some others do not post all that much but I do read a lot and have been checking in on this thread several times a day.  I really hope Jeff can pull through this and will pray for you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Back to page 1.

Continued prayers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By edb66:
Praying  for Jeff, Reta and their family!
View Quote

same here. Reta, thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#49]
It truly saddens me to read that Jeff isn't doing well.  I hope the hospital staff are successful in getting him off the ventilator so he can continue fighting the good fight.  I remember how hopeless I felt when my dad was fighting for his life just a few years ago.  Dad had to be put under for surgery and they just had the hardest time weaning him off the vent.  He finally pulled through and was able to breath with a bipap machine and then finally unassisted.  He spent the next 3 months fighting a brutal infection in his body that thankfully only took part of his foot.  

My prayers are with your family Jeff and Rita.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Thank you for taking the time to update Reta.  Prayers from Montana for you, Jeff, and your family.
Page / 208
REST IN PEACE (Page 110 of 208)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top